Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

Ot-tech question: computer building

Another tech question because I value/trust the knowledge base on this board .

I am looking to upgrade my computer situation, but am tired of the constant computer purchases. I want a computer that will run today's software while giving me the opportunity to upgrade in the future on a budget. Suggestions welcome!

Also, I was wondering if I could get a critique of this offer by Tigerdirect:

Chaintech SK8T800 Socket 754 Barebone Kit / AMD Athlon 64 3700+ / 1024MB DDR PC3200 / CPU Fan / ATX Mid-Tower Case / 500 Watt PS / Keyoard / Mouse

Thanks,

Mo

Mo.Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I would suggest going to tomshardware and checking out their reviews on CPU fans. most work pretty well, but some are much quiter than others.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

Thanks Airhog, and great site by the way. It even has a do it yourself article for under $500.00 with room to grow in mind. That is just what I have been searching for. Now maybe I can quit bugging the technologically gifted on this site .

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Get a socket 939, not 754. A 939 will have much better processor support than the 754 for upgrading. The 754 is already outdated and they may have already stopped making new processors for it.

Really when it comes to upgradability I'd make sure you get a socket 939 motherboard with dual pci express ports for video(not AGP).

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-11-2005 at 04:27 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
Airhog
Captain Obvious

It really just depends on what your plans are jeff. I have never upgraded my cpu, not on a single PC I have ever owned. Not that what you say isnt valid, but if the guy plans to just build a new one 4-5 years down the road, then I don't see the problem with it...

Old 12-11-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

He said he wanted to leave room to upgrade, which is the main reason I emphasized it. And there isn't any negative with the 939, unlike the 754.

I didn't think the 754 was pushed anymore, I bought a 939 over a year ago for the same reasons I've mentioned. I can't imagine it would be to difficult to find a similar deal with a 939 instead.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-11-2005 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:59 PM   #7
dl5175
n00b

anandtech.com is also a great site. I built a system myself just from their online guide.
dl5175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
dl5175
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Get a socket 939, not 754. A 939 will have much better processor support than the 754 for upgrading. The 754 is already outdated and they may have already stopped making new processors for it.

Really when it comes to upgradability I'd make sure you get a socket 939 motherboard with dual pci express ports for video(not AGP).

I agree
dl5175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:15 PM   #9
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I am looking at a 939 socket now after reading the article on Tom's hardware. I am interested in building a computer, but have nightmares about getting this expensive stuff shipped to the house only to look at it and find out it really is like building your own tv from scratch diode by diode . From what I've read though it seems pretty straight forward. The article really didn't go into any detail on case selection.

Mo
Old 12-11-2005, 11:33 PM   #10
Airhog
Captain Obvious

case selection is all about your style, especially if you get a case and install and PS into it, which is what I would suggest you do. Doing so allows you to get a good PS, and most cases and ps are standard. just make sure the case you get is the same type as your motherboard. Most cases and motherboards are ATX these days, but it never hurts to be too carefull.

As long as you take your time, read all the instructions, and go slow, you'll do fine. I find the only tricky part is setting up the mb, but they get simpler and simpler, especially if you get a jumperless MB.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

just MAKE SURE TO DISCHARGE ALL STATIC ELECTRICITY WHEN YOU START MESSING WITH THE PARTS!! otherwise you could inadvertantly fry something.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:14 AM   #12
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

It's pretty straight forward when it comes to building it, just go one step at a time. I'd personally recommend http://newegg.com for purchasing all your parts.. If by chance something goes wrong, whether a part is DOA or you accidentally kill something, they'll get you a replacement part with no hassle for pretty much up to a year post purchase.

My father burnt up 2 CPU's building his system (don't ask ), they sent him 2 new cpu's and a new heatsink no questions asked.

As for case and power supply, Antec case and Antec power supply. There are plenty of other good selections out there, but Antec is old faithful for both.

If you want to spring for a nice case that's more costly Lian-Li is the way to go, will likely still need to buy a power supply for it though.