Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2009, 06:03 AM   #1
clemsonfan
High School JV

College Football Week 12 discussion

I couldn't wait any longer for this thread. I'm too excited for this weekend's football!

Tonight:

Colorado
12Oklahoma State

Friday:

6Boise State
Utah State

Saturday:

Florida International
1Florida

Chattanooga
2Alabama

Kansas
3Texas

4TCU
Wyoming

8LSU
Mississippi

10Ohio State
Michigan

11Oregon
Arizona

Minnesota
13Iowa

14Penn State
Michigan State

North Carolina State
15Virginia Tech

16Wisconsin
Northwestern

25California
17Stanford

19Oregon State
Washington State

Duke
20Miami (FL)

San Diego State
21Utah

Air Force
22Brigham Young

Virginia
23Clemson

Memphis
24Houston

Last edited by clemsonfan : 11-19-2009 at 06:03 AM.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

When was the last time Cal and Stanford played when both were ranked?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Which will be higher...the points Michigan scores on Ohio State or the winning margin by the Buckeyes? My guess is the latter of the two.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'll be rooting like heck for Minnesota!
Old 11-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Which will be higher...the points Michigan scores on Ohio State or the winning margin by the Buckeyes? My guess is the latter of the two.

I approve of this post.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Yea/nay on whether Mark Mangino lasts the rest of the year as KU's head coach?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Looking forward the Rutgers crushing 'Cuse. Word on the street is 'Cuse doesn't even have enough healthy players to practice. Line jumped from 8-10 yesterday and RU seems to be peaking after dismantling USF last week. After watching 28 years of horrid football the last 6 years have been a blast.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
mckerney
Coordinator

WHO HATES IOWA?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Looking forward the Rutgers crushing 'Cuse. Word on the street is 'Cuse doesn't even have enough healthy players to practice. Line jumped from 8-10 yesterday and RU seems to be peaking after dismantling USF last week. After watching 28 years of horrid football the last 6 years have been a blast.

I'll be there!

The line still seems really low, honestly. It will be a long, drunken afternoon.

Last edited by molson : 11-19-2009 at 02:27 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

I think he gets the door immediately after their final regular season game.

What happened to SI? Seems like he hasn't been around for a long time.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I wish I enjoyed Michigan being down more. I used to schedule anything around OSU/Mich, but this year it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal. It's much more satisfying to beat a quality opponent.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
When was the last time Cal and Stanford played when both were ranked?

I had to look this up, admittedly:

1991, when #21 Stanford beat #6 Cal 38-21 at Stanford Stadium, behind running backs Glyn Milburn and "Touchdown" Tommy Vardell.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #13
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I think the media frenzy on this is a complete joke. I honestly don't think Mangino is that different from any number of football coaches coaching today. Some of the things he's reported to have said are indeed tactless on a personal level, but I don't know that it's an offense that warrants removal or this amount of bashing from the media. Now the way his team has tanked the last two seasons that warrants removal. But this "poke" and personal insults stuff is ridiculous. Mangino can definitely be a jerk. But so can a number of college coaches. The problem though is that he's a jerk with a talented team that's losing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I had to look this up, admittedly:

1991, when #21 Stanford beat #6 Cal 38-21 at Stanford Stadium, behind running backs Glyn Milburn and "Touchdown" Tommy Vardell.

Was that the great Russell White Cal team they beat?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #15
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Was that the great Russell White Cal team they beat?

Not to mention Mike Pawlawski and kicker Doug Brien.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #16
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I gotta say, I'm pulling for Stanford. I really admire how Harbaugh has transformed that program and forged a tough-guy identity for Stanford football. I'm kind of torn right now between pulling for Oregon State to go to the Rose Bowl or hoping Stanford can slide in somehow - I really respect Coach Riley and what he's done to turn Oregon State from perennially awful for 2+ decades into one of the Pac-10's best pograms.

I like Tedford and respect what he's done for Cal, but Stanford is the better story right now.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #17
digamma
Torchbearer

UGA VII has passed away.

My condolences to the entire Lee family.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #18
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Nice to see the continued pussification of America. Mangino is a jerk/douche/asshole but from what I can tell he pales in comparison to some of the coaches I had growing up.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
WHO HATES IOWA?

FOFC DOES!
Old 11-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #20
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Nice to see the continued pussification of America. Mangino is a jerk/douche/asshole but from what I can tell he pales in comparison to some of the coaches I had growing up.

You are right. Magino should have been laid up in a hospital for weeks after making light of that player's younger brother being shot.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #21
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sometimes change is a good thing Noop. Just because that's how things were when you were going through football doesn't mean that's how it should be.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #22
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Sometimes change is a good thing Noop. Just because that's how things were when you were going through football doesn't mean that's how it should be.
I don't agree with telling a player he'll be sent back to the hood to get shot with his homies, but the physical contact stuff is absurd. Poking a player in the chest and grabbing his arm is cause for alarm?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #23
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I don't agree with telling a player he'll be sent back to the hood to get shot with his homies, but the physical contact stuff is absurd. Poking a player in the chest and grabbing his arm is cause for alarm?
Well, there's a fine line between abuse and getting a kid's attention. I have no idea where Mangino sits on that continuum. All I'm saying is there's no reason for physical or mental abuse, but of course the boundary lines on each when it comes to football coaching are blurry.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #24
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Zac Robinson was a game-time injury decision for OK St, and so far his backup went 0-9 with a pick before the 3rd stringer came in, they've thrown for 47 yards, and are losing 24-21 in the 4th to Colorado. EDIT- actually 21-17 Colorado.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-19-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #25
BishopMVP
Coordinator

And the 3rd stringer completes a 50-yd pass to the RB for a TD. 24-21 Cowboys.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #26
RainMaker
General Manager

Texas and the NCAA better hope OK State pulls this out.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #27
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'm not that up to speed on the Big 12 situation, why would Texas need OK St. to win? If they win out I thought they were in the BCS title game no matter what.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #28
RainMaker
General Manager

Their SOS would take a hit. Might make some voters think twice if Cincy beats 4-5 ranked teams this season and Texas doesn't beat any.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #29
Blade6119
Coordinator

Nah, Texas will go to the title no matter what if they win out. There is nothing for Texas to worry about, not a thing...people feel they got screwed last year, so like Florida they will get the benefit of the doubt if they are undefeated.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:16 AM   #30
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I don't think they can pull it off this year, because the USC-UCLA game is at the Mausoleum, but there is talk on the UCLA boards of getting a back and forth "What's Your Deal?" "What's Your Deal?" chant going in that game.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-20-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #31
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

The stuff about telling the kid to go get shot is pretty shitty and I think he shouldn't have said that. However the other stuff is pure sissy shit... This is lunacy that a coach slapping helmets, grabbing facemask or god forbid poking a player in the chest is grounds for an investigation. The only time my coach was ever nice to me is when I literally destroyed my ankle.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #32
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Sadly, it goes deeper than just the insults. A few former players are suggesting that Mangino made them play despite the doctor's not clearing them. Other players are saying that Mangino essentially sat on his hands while NFL scouts showed interest in his players. Former players' parents are complaining. It's pretty much open season for anyone who has had an issue with Mangino in the past.

Mangino has always had a temper and can definitely be a jerk with the best of them. People are willing to overlook that if you can win games, but Mangino has had his share of struggles these last two years and thus this garbage is coming out. He's likely gone from KU since there's pretty much no way he can recruit successfully right now. The guy is a good coach and I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up on a coaching staff (OU, Texas Tech?) in the very near future.

Quote:
The stuff about telling the kid to go get shot is pretty shitty and I think he shouldn't have said that. However the other stuff is pure sissy shit... This is lunacy that a coach slapping helmets, grabbing facemask or god forbid poking a player in the chest is grounds for an investigation. The only time my coach was ever nice to me is when I literally destroyed my ankle.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:58 AM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My sincere condolences to the UGA fans this week, as mascot UGA VII aka "Loran's Best" died unexpectedly this morning in Savannah from an apparent heart attack.

Very few things transcend the rivalry but as far as I'm concerned that 4 year old bulldog never did anything to anybody & that's too young for what seemed like a good dog to go.

Bulldog Nation mourns sudden death of Uga VII || OnlineAthens.com
Old 11-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #34
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

I am taking the third option: Yo mama's ass.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #35
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am taking the third option: Yo mama's ass.

Is Sid still withholding sex from you?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #36
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

I may have to do the unthinkable and route for Oregon this weekend.
As convoluted as the Pac-Ten race is, it’s pretty simple for Oregon State; they have to win out and Arizona has to lose once. I guess having a shot at going to your first Rose Bowl since 1965 will make you do some pretty horrendous things, like route for Oregon.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #37
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
My sincere condolences to the UGA fans this week, as mascot UGA VII aka "Loran's Best" died unexpectedly this morning in Savannah from an apparent heart attack.

Very few things transcend the rivalry but as far as I'm concerned that 4 year old bulldog never did anything to anybody & that's too young for what seemed like a good dog to go.

Bulldog Nation mourns sudden death of Uga VII || OnlineAthens.com

+1

I admit to laughing at the craziness around the last Uga's funeral and such, but there's nothing good about the actual death of this, or the last.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #38
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Honestly, if Mark Mangino wasn't damn near 500 lbs and now all of a sudden losing, this all is a non story. What he said is inexcusable, yet a lot of this stuff happened a few years ago, but when they go and win the Orange Bowl, it's all easier to take.

I think the main thing is his weight. He guy is absurdly obese and as he gets older, he gets fatter. I am sure it's been a concern for the admin at KU for a while but what can you do when the guys winning? That said, the guy is obviously a walking heart attack time bomb waiting to go off, and does KU really want that to happen on their sideline?

I think this is the perfect out for KU since the team is not performing well to get rid of Mangino once and for all.

And again I am not saying him being a total ass isn't a part of it; it obviously is, but this is a guy who was steadfast in not getting a gatorade shower if they won the Orange Bowl because of the repercussions it could have on his health.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #39
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Possibly. Though there are a lot of tough coaches who aren't complete bastards. You can be one when you're winning, but when you start losing then it becomes a big issue (see Bobby Knight).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Honestly, if Mark Mangino wasn't damn near 500 lbs and now all of a sudden losing, this all is a non story. What he said is inexcusable, yet a lot of this stuff happened a few years ago, but when they go and win the Orange Bowl, it's all easier to take.

I think the main thing is his weight. He guy is absurdly obese and as he gets older, he gets fatter. I am sure it's been a concern for the admin at KU for a while but what can you do when the guys winning? That said, the guy is obviously a walking heart attack time bomb waiting to go off, and does KU really want that to happen on their sideline?

I think this is the perfect out for KU since the team is not performing well to get rid of Mangino once and for all.

And again I am not saying him being a total ass isn't a part of it; it obviously is, but this is a guy who was steadfast in not getting a gatorade shower if they won the Orange Bowl because of the repercussions it could have on his health.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #40
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Boise St. tied 14-14 and being outgained by 3-7 Utah State halfway through the 2nd.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #41
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Boise St. tied 14-14 and being outgained by 3-7 Utah State halfway through the 2nd.

Texas, and the NCAA, had better hope that Boise State can pull this one out.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #42
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nice jinx Cartman, suddenly 28-14 BSU.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #43
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Texas and the NCAA better hope OK State pulls this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Texas, and the NCAA, had better hope that Boise State can pull this one out.

Quote:
Nice jinx Cartman, suddenly 28-14 BSU.

Not originally mine.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #44
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Not originally mine.

Oopsie, my bad. It's Bishop's fault.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #45
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Oopsie, my bad. It's Bishop's fault.
Yah, I killed that one pretty bad. Yards before my post: 218-147 Utah St. Yards since: 219-16 Boise. 42-14 Boise St. now early 3rd.

Boise did look pretty bad against the mobile quarterback to start though. That'll give ammo to those hyping Nevada and it's 3-pronged rushing attack as a possible upset special. (I personally can't see it happening or take Nevada seriously ever since they were shutout by Notre Dame the one game I saw them. I realize they've probably clicked some since, but still, our run defense has been a sieve every other game.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-20-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #46
tarcone
Coordinator

Floyd of Rosedale on the line today. Im excited to see how the future plays today.

GO HAWKS!
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #47
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

KKK planning a rally before the Ole Miss game. Not as ominous as it sounds, but still pretty crazy.

Ku Klux Klan plans rally at Ole Miss to stand for Rebel fight song» The Commercial Appeal
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #48
MacroGuru
Coordinator

From the MWC.

Last time TCU was undefeated at this stage in the season they ended up losing to...Wyoming at Laramie..and Patterson has reminded them of this all week, I don't think it will happen...TCU will spank the Cowboys today.

As for AFA @ BYU, I am worried, BYU has stunk it up at home this season and AFA is always a tough team for us to play especially with the Mobile QB. I do know we wear them down most of the time from our size...again, I won't be shocked if we lose this one.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #49
cmp
Pro Rookie

Fuck Ohio State. That is all.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #50
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
Fuck Ohio State. That is all.

Poetic. I approve.