Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

College Football Week 11 Discussion

Didn't see this thread yet, so I'll start it I guess, although it's with a story I wish I didn't read today. And just as much, I wish there was something in the story that actually surprises me

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/no...ry-charges-tv/

KNOXVILLE — KNOXVILLE - Three University of Tennessee football players and a female companion are in the Knox County Detention Facility today on charges of attempted armed robbery.

Janzen Jackson, Mike Edwards and Nu'Keese Richardson, all 18, were charged this morning after an armed robbery attempt at a Pilot station on Cumberland Avenue, according to the Knoxville Police Department.

Each player and the woman face three counts of attempted armed robbery. The woman also faces drug charges.

UT athletic director Mike Hamilton released a statement this morning about the episode.

"At this time we are currently evaluating the circumstances surrounding an incident involving Mike Edwards, Janzen Jackson and Nu'Keese Richardson," Hamilton said. "Any decisions or comments regarding their status will not be made until the evaluations are complete."

Both Richardson and Jackson are coming off a week in which they faced discipline from coach Lane Kiffin, the former for missing a practice and the latter for a violation of team rules.

Kiffin has touted the discipline in his program and a clean arrest record as recently as Wednesday's SEC teleconference.

Richardson is a 5-foot-10, 165-pound wide receiver from Pahokee, Fla. Jackson is a 6-foot, 174-pound defensive back from Lake Charles, La. Edwards is a 5-foot-10 defensive back from Cleveland, Ohio.

According to KPD spokesman Darrell DeBusk, the incident began at 1:43 a.m. at the Pilot station, 2218 Cumberland Ave., when officers were alerted to an armed robbery in progress.

When officers arrived, they found Cory B. Zickefoose, 20, Benjamin J. Everett, 19 and Corey M. Smith, 18, claiming to have been accosted by two men wearing black hoodies.

The trio told officers they were sitting in a 1998 Hyundai Elantra at the convenience store while a friend was inside the business. As they waited for their friend, a man opened the driver's door, brandished a handgun and stated, "Give me everything you have," DeBusk said.

A second man also wearing a black hoodie then opened the passenger door of the Hyundai and reiterated to the trio, "Give us everything you've got," DeBusk said.

In an interview this afternoon, Zickefoose and Smith told the News Sentinel they had no inkling beforehand that the people in the parking lot were about to attempt a robbery. Even during the incident, Zickefoose, who was driving, said the man with the weapon wasn't overly aggressive.

"I could just tell he wasn't going to shoot me. He didn't have too much authority," Zickefoose said.

The victims said they showed the two men their empty wallets and said they had no money.

"I said, 'Sorry, we don't have anything to give you.' " Zickefoose said.

"We ain't got nothing but a cheeseburger," Smith added, "but they didn't take that."

A third man then approached the car and told the other two men in hoodies, "We've got to go," DeBusk said.

The three men got into a 2010 Toyota Prius driven by a woman and fled the area. Zickefoose said he glanced at the Prius during the attempted heist and noted the woman seemed amused.

"She was smiling, with a big grin on her face," Zickefoose said.

Officers stopped the car on Neyland Drive near Leinard Lane after it had been seen near Gibbs Halls.

Police found Edwards, Richardson and Jackson in the car, which was driven by Marie Montmarquet, 22, DeBusk said.

A search of the Prius revealed a air-powered pellet pistol under the rear seat. Two black hoodies were seen in plain view in the back seat, DeBusk said.

The suspects were taken to the Pilot station where the three victims identified Edwards and Richardson as the two men in black hoodies who demanded their wallets.

Richardson and Edwards were being held on a $19,500 bond each. Jackson was held in lieu of $15,000 bond.

In the glove box of the Prius police found a marijuana grinder, a device to break chunks of compressed marijuana into loose particles so that it can be more easily smoked. Police found a clear plastic bag of suspected marijuana in Montmarquet's jacket pocket, DeBusk said.

Montmarquet told police the grinder and marijuana found in her jacket belonged to her, DeBusk said. Along with the three counts of attempted armed robbery, she also was charged with simple drug possession and possession of drug paraphernalia. She was being held in jail this morning in lieu of $119,000 bond.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-12-2009 at 02:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

Boise St/Idaho should be even more interesting than usual here, with the year Idaho is having.

Last edited by molson : 11-12-2009 at 02:19 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

LOL@ The weed commanding $100,000 more in bail than sticking a gun in someone's face. What a joke.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A Prius? So much for the SEC speed you always hear about.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
bob
College Starter

My hopes and dreams for the weekend:

- WV beats Cincy Friday night.
- Georgia Tech takes care of Duke.
- Spurrier finds a way to beat Florida.
- Idaho beats Boise St.
- Utah beats TCU.

- I'd love for Texas to lose too, but i don't see it happening until the Big 12 championship. Bama can beat Florida again in the SEC championship. Georgia Tech continues to rise.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I read elsewhere that the Pilot chain of convenience stores is owned and/or founded by a prominent Tennessee booster, so an added sprinkling of salt in the wounds for Vols fans.

I wonder if Urban Meyer is sorry he "missed" on Nu'Keese Richardson...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
LOL@ The weed commanding $100,000 more in bail than sticking a gun in someone's face. What a joke.

As was pointed out in the local blogs, that's seems likely to have been a function of this not being the young lady's first encounter with law enforcement.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Denard Robinson is gonna get the start for Michigan vs Wisconsin this week. Tate has apparently bad a terrible week of practice and Denard has looked good. Considering the streak we're on it can't hurt.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Denard Robinson is gonna get the start for Michigan vs Wisconsin this week. Tate has apparently bad a terrible week of practice and Denard has looked good. Considering the streak we're on it can't hurt.

So, when does Tate Forcier transfer? End of this season or next?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
So, when does Tate Forcier transfer? End of this season or next?

Oh it's already been rumored but I don't buy it. That said, once Devin Gardner gets on campus next year, all bets are off. He has the potential to be Tate and Denard rolled into a 6'5, 220 lbs freak.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Oh it's already been rumored but I don't buy it. That said, once Devin Gardner gets on campus next year, all bets are off. He has the potential to be Tate and Denard rolled into a 6'5, 220 lbs freak.

I haven't heard any rumors, it's just that based on his family's some what creepy website (www.qbforce.com), Tate Forcier has switched teams at pretty much every he's played at.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

This is the one weekend a year I root for Notre Dame.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #13
clemsonfan
High School JV

I'm hoping Clemson won't let me down Saturday against NC State.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #14
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan View Post
I'm hoping Clemson won't let me down Saturday against NC State.

This is a new team...I would not fear that.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #15
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It's all in Flash, so I can't post the images to the thread, but check out the new jerseys TCU will wear this weekend vs Utah. Oregon has a run for their money:

Nike Pro Combat

Click the Nike Pro Combat Uniform link

Last edited by DeToxRox : 11-12-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #16
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Pretty wild stuff.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #17
miked
College Starter

USF looking good in midseason.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #18
MJ4H
Coordinator

That has to 8 muffed kicks in this game for South Florida.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #19
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

hey, USF... how my ass taste? - Greg Schiano
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Analysis - College Football Season Sputtering to a Finish - News Analysis - NYTimes.com
Old 11-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oh and hell of a job by the Scarlet Knights.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #22
Logan
Head Coach

It's hard to figure out if the boys looked good tonight vs USF or were they just that bad. The easier answer is that they were, and Rutgers was very, very bad in the first half in terms of not being able to capitalize. Honestly, I wonder if being up by 41 at halftime wasn't reasonable. But when taking into account how B.J. Daniels just couldn't even get a second to make a play, I'm pretty impressed with how our defense stood up.

Last edited by Logan : 11-12-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #23
tarcone
Coordinator

Rutgers dominated. Nice win.

Iowa travels to the horseshoe. Hope our Freshman emulates Barkley.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:10 AM   #24
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Who exactly from the Big 12 north do you see beating Texas in the Big 12 championship? I'm as big a fan there is of the Big 12 north, but it's a mess this year and would be a huge upset if one of them knocked off Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
- I'd love for Texas to lose too, but i don't see it happening until the Big 12 championship. Bama can beat Florida again in the SEC championship. Georgia Tech continues to rise.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:27 AM   #25
bob
College Starter

I don't actually think its going to happen. But I think its more likely there than against Baylor or Texas A&M. But it needs to for Tech to have a shot.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #26
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hooray! Rutgers dominates South Florida 31-0 (first regular season shutout USF has ever had). RU is 7-2 and will likely be ranked next week. Really didn't see this after Cincy blew them out in the first game, but Savage has really played well and the future looks bright .
Old 11-13-2009, 10:19 AM   #27
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Who exactly from the Big 12 north do you see beating Texas in the Big 12 championship? I'm as big a fan there is of the Big 12 north, but it's a mess this year and would be a huge upset if one of them knocked off Texas.
Nebraska's the only one with a chance imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
This is a new team...I would not fear that.
What's changed since Maryland?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT
But with a pedestrian Heisman Trophy field, no elite team that scintillates the masses and virtually no chance of a team outside the Big Three crashing the national title game, this college football season is sputtering to the finish.As the regular season pushes toward its final three weeks, there does not appear to be a single competitive game left on the schedule that directly relates to the national title.
It is a three-horse race, with Texas, Florida and Alabama all running against claimers.
Other than this being the year with the best chance for a non-BCS team to crash the title game, the plethora of upsets that happen, particularly when rivals like Auburn/Alabama, Texas/Texas A&M, Florida/FSU, Florida/Spurrier-led SC clash, and conveniently ignoring the SEC title game, this is spot on.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #28
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Rutgers dominated. Nice win.

Iowa travels to the horseshoe. Hope our Freshman emulates Barkley.

I hope they kick the crap out of Iowa.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #29
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Hooray! Rutgers dominates South Florida 31-0 (first regular season shutout USF has ever had). RU is 7-2 and will likely be ranked next week. Really didn't see this after Cincy blew them out in the first game, but Savage has really played well and the future looks bright .

I'm pretty fired up for my first trip back to the Carrier Dome since about '01 for the Rutgers game next weekend. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic, that Syracuse can keep it close.

Last edited by molson : 11-13-2009 at 10:49 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #30
Logan
Head Coach

Devin McCourtey had an amazing game last night. Such an all-around stud.

And speaking of stud...that's not what George Selvie is. He's been the most overrated player in the country for the past 3 years. Anthony Davis stopped him dead in his tracks on a bull rush with one left hand to the chest. Shades of Ray Rice's ridiculous stiff arm on Selvie
Old 11-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #31
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

RU looked great last night, makes me really excited for the future.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #32
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
What's changed since Maryland?

Well since you asked...

There was a bye week during which the coaching staff challenged every player on the team. And the assistant coaches, Namely Billy Napier the OC, basically a give it all or get out demand.
The results are pretty striking if you ask me.

First 5 games
Average Total Offense: 316 yards
Points per game: 24

Since then
Average Total Offense: 419 yards
Points per game: 42

Not to mention I have missed 1 Tiger's game in 6+ years, and this team is different. The demeanor, the way they carry themselves, the package.

Now they may prove me wrong at 12:00 tomorrow, but I will be shocked.
I am under no delusion that this is a top 5 team, but they may very well be a top 15 team.

I think we will get a chance to demonstrate that over the next 5 games.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 11-13-2009 at 02:05 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #33
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Not to mention I have missed 1 Tiger's game in 6+ years, and this team is different. The demeanor, the way they carry themselves, the package.

Now they may prove me wrong at 12:00 tomorrow, but I will be shocked.
I am under no delusion that this is a top 5 team, but they may very well be a top 15 team.

I think we will get a chance to demonstrate that over the next 5 games.
Eh, I hope you're right, and I think I do have Clemson as a top 15 team, but every time they do that they burn me. A rematch with GT where GT doesn't get the huge trick plays early would be very interesting.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #34
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Oh yeah, tonight I'm picking the home team. I thought WV had more potential early in the season, but just when the turnover discrepancy started normalizing the offense began slowing down.

West Virginia @ Cincinnati -9
Old 11-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #35
Swaggs
Coordinator

I could see either team winnning big tonight.

I'd like to see WVU win the turnover battle, for once, this season.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #36
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I could see Cincy winnning big tonight.

I'd like to see WVU win the turnover battle, for once, this season.

Ahem... fixed.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #37
Atocep
Coordinator

You've gotta be kidding me. That was indisputable?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #38
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
You've gotta be kidding me. That was indisputable?

I certainly thought it was. People always underestimate the "breaking the plane" rule. The tip of the ball has to through the start of the goal line...not the end of the goal line.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #39
Swaggs
Coordinator

Didn't look like the Cincy player had control of the ball, but it was awful close. I don't think the play on the field should have been overruled as indisputable.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #40
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Didn't look like the Cincy player had control of the ball, but it was awful close. I don't think the play on the field should have been overruled as indisputable.

I guess watching it a couple more times I could see that. It looks like he has two hands on the ball though when I would think it was a TD. Tough call.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #41
Swaggs
Coordinator

Damnit! I really want Coach Stew to be successful and I still think he has a chance, but that was a sill set of plays.

Running on 3 and 8 at the 25 and then going for it on 4th, rather than kicking a FG.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #42
Swaggs
Coordinator

And now, they give up a 40+ yard run on the first play to Cincy... That's close to ballgame, unless Cincy completely stalls out.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #43
Philliesfan980
Banned

Let's go Temple!
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #44
Swaggs
Coordinator

Hmmm... Sure would be nice to be down by 7 and driving rather than down by 10 and driving.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #45
Swaggs
Coordinator

WVU scores. Cincy is up 24-21. WVU going for the onsides.

Sure wish we would have kicked the FG from the 25 on the prior drive.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #46
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

w00t and with that, Pitt will play in the de facto Big East Championship game on December 5th.
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #47
Logan
Head Coach

I'm a Big East guy, and I was pulling for Cincy so they could get their shot at a title game...but that was on the level of the SEC officials doing everything they can to let Florida/Alabama slide, similar to the BE guys doing everything in their power to get WVU to beat Pitt a couple years back when they were standing in their way of the National Championship game.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #48
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm a Big East guy, and I was pulling for Cincy so they could get their shot at a title game...but that was on the level of the SEC officials doing everything they can to let Florida/Alabama slide, similar to the BE guys doing everything in their power to get WVU to beat Pitt a couple years back when they were standing in their way of the National Championship game.

Yeah. I'm not even going near the WVU messageboards tonight. Between that call (I don't think it was completely heinous, but I don't really know what they could have seen to overturn the play on the field) and Coach Stew not kicking that field goal (and the play on 3rd down before going for it on 4th), it is going to be real ugly over there for awhile.

Oh well, hopefully we can hammer Pitt after the bye week. Unfortunately, I think our offense matches up better against Cincy's defense than it does vs Pitt or Rutgers.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #49
thealmighty
Pro Starter

I'll be in Fort Worth at the TCU game with my brother (no, I'm not going to wake-up early to be at the ESPN set).
Old 11-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #50
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah. I'm not even going near the WVU messageboards tonight. Between that call (I don't think it was completely heinous, but I don't really know what they could have seen to overturn the play on the field) and Coach Stew not kicking that field goal (and the play on 3rd down before going for it on 4th), it is going to be real ugly over there for awhile.

Oh well, hopefully we can hammer Pitt after the bye week. Unfortunately, I think our offense matches up better against Cincy's defense than it does vs Pitt or Rutgers.

What sucks is Stew has been ripped repeatedly for not going for it in situations similar to that all season. Now that he goes for it he'll be torn apart and 2nd guessed all week.

Regardless, as I've said all along, this is a team with holes and next year will be the same. 2011 is the year for this program.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote