Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-01-2007, 07:56 AM   #1
Butter
Coordinator

College Football Week 6 Thread

Sure it's a little early, but this season's just starting to get interesting after this past weekend... take a look at these games which looked blah a few weeks ago, but now look huge:

Kentucky @ South Carolina - 2 top 15 teams on Thursday night... surprise!

Wisconsin @ Illinois - winner will battle Michigan and Ohio State for top 3 in conference

Kansas @ Kansas State - KU looking to beat a real opponent, K-State looks to return to being a top 25 mainstay after a couple of down years

Ohio State @ Purdue - Purdue could seriously legitimize itself as a top Big Ten team behind Curtis Painter with a huge home win... and those home night games are tough for highly ranked opponents

Cincinnati @ Rutgers - Winner becomes top challenger to USF in conference race... any of those 3 teams would be a huge Cinderella story into the BCS.

Then you have the matchup that was destroyed by this past weekend:

Oklahoma v. Texas - Way to look ahead, guys! You too, Florida!

Last edited by Butter : 10-01-2007 at 07:57 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:48 AM   #2
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Well, I guess that ends Woodson's Heisman hopes. Kentucky had too many mistakes and South Carolina capitalized.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
Blade6119
Coordinator

Seeing what Louisville has done since woodson went to town on them, was the hype deserved? I mean, he beat Louisville and Arkansas, who both look very average so far...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Sure it's a little early, but this season's just starting to get interesting after this past weekend... take a look at these games which looked blah a few weeks ago, but now look huge:

Kentucky @ South Carolina - 2 top 15 teams on Thursday night... surprise!

Wisconsin @ Illinois - winner will battle Michigan and Ohio State for top 3 in conference

Kansas @ Kansas State - KU looking to beat a real opponent, K-State looks to return to being a top 25 mainstay after a couple of down years

Ohio State @ Purdue - Purdue could seriously legitimize itself as a top Big Ten team behind Curtis Painter with a huge home win... and those home night games are tough for highly ranked opponents

Cincinnati @ Rutgers - Winner becomes top challenger to USF in conference race... any of those 3 teams would be a huge Cinderella story into the BCS.

You list KU vs. KSU as huge and omit #25 Nebraska at #17 Mizzou? C'mon!

KU's a basketball school and has beat 4 'sisters of the poor' schools. Let's not get all crazy now.

MU beats NU by 13 points.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You have to read the OP better, Mizzou .

Quote:
take a look at these games which looked blah a few weeks ago, but now look huge

Unless you also think that Nebraska vs. Mizzou looked blah. He was paying you a compliment!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

DIVISION II, BITCHES! SETON HILL HOMECOMING VERSUS WEST VIRGINIA WESLEYAN!

BITCHES!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Calm down, Patrick Ewing.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

Tulsa at UTEP tomorrow night. Two teams without a defense. This could be a game that with more than 100 total points...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
You have to read the OP better, Mizzou .

Unless you also think that Nebraska vs. Mizzou looked blah. He was paying you a compliment!

Stupid reading comprehension.

I'm a bit jumpy with the approaching kickoff. I'm likely not thinking straight (most would argue this is a common occurance).

Interesting note about the MU-NU game. An e-mail was sent to the entire student body from Coach Pinkel. Thought this part was interesting given previous discussions on this board about people running on the field........

Quote:
Stay off of the field during and following the games. Police will be arresting those who trespass and additional university sanctions could be brought against you. Following the 2005 football game versus Nebraska, 100% of those arrested for trespassing on the field were found guilty or plead guilty in a court of law. There will be pictures and videos of the after game activities and judicial action will be taken for those students identified.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #10
knolysis
n00b

It seems that the SEC is a bit "coach heavy", with 4 coaches having one a National Championship and 6 having won SEC championships.

What does everyone think about them being able to co-exist? It seems to me that someone has to lose out (and by the rumor mill, the current front runner seems to be Fulmer).

If Fulmer goes, does that thin things out enough that the remaining coaches can get ther share of SEC/National Championships to keep the boosters happy? Does it make it worse in that Tennessee might go and get another "big name" coach that just keeps the picture muddled?

I think that some school outside the SEC is going to get a real good head coach soon and I was wondering what other people thought.

Last edited by knolysis : 10-05-2007 at 12:00 PM.
knolysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

BITCHES!

Wanna talk D2...

Pitt State vs. NW Missouri State @ Arrowhead!!!
Old 10-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Wanna talk D2...

Pitt State vs. NW Missouri State @ Arrowhead!!!

That game is always a lot of fun. I've been to it before. Great matchup.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Texas was not a victim of looking ahead. We're just not a very good football team.

Oklahoma was partially a victim of looking ahead. They are not as good as they looked the first few games. Either way they are much better than we are. IMO the smart money is on OU to cover. Objectively speaking I really see this as a 3 TD or more Sooner win.

But I'm playing the Texas moneyline. If we keep it near close we can win. We need a lot of mistakes from Bradford.

It will be our last chance for a couple of years in this game. Our program is in a state of disarray right now, even if most of the information is not publicly known. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #14
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

BITCHES!

Wesleyan is a former "heavyweight champion of college football."

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/huckl...n-goes-florida

Old 10-05-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Wesleyan is a former "heavyweight champion of college football."

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/huckl...n-goes-florida
Oh, shit. Seton Hill is fucked.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #16
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
But I'm playing the Texas moneyline. If we keep it near close we can win. We need a lot of mistakes from Bradford.

Last week really took a lot of the wind out of the sails on this game. I honestly have no idea what to expect. Before last week, I would've said OU by 3 touchdowns. But OU was beaten in a different way than Texas was. Both teams made mistakes, certainly, but OU was just worn down by Colorado (something I didn't expect at all) while Texas was done in by special teams and turnovers.

Two things I'm looking at in this one. 1. Whether Texas can protect McCoy (or Chiles; I'm not really convinced McCoy plays). OU wasn't able to get pressure last week against Colorado. If they can't against Texas, it's a tight game. 2. Like you mentioned above, how is Bradford in his first RRS? The OKC kid has been around the rivalry for years, but playing in it for the first time has to affect him. Does he get flustered or stay cool and calm like he did against Miami?

I have to quote this article I read from the Statesman. I don't care who you are; this stuff is funny...

Quote:
COMMENTARY: JOHN KELSO

It's OK for OU fans to use their dental records to buy beer if they have any teeth left

That's right, it's time once again for the Okahoma insult.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

It's time for my annual insult of Oklahoma, which is something I do every year.

Why do I risk sounding redundant by saying this is something I do every year, after using the word "annual?" It's a public service to help out you Okies who may not know what the big grownup word "annual" means.

Now, there's been a lot of talk lately that it might be tough Saturday at the big Texas-OU game up in Dallas for Okies to buy beer at the State Fair of Texas. This news story has been greatly exaggerated. And no, they didn't put in a new no-beer rule for Okies this year because of that Sooner fan/church deacon in Oklahoma City who tried to rip off the guy's testicles for wearing a Texas shirt into a bar.

The reason it may be a slight hassle for Okies to buy beer at the state fair is an obscure Texas law on alcohol sales. If a Texas vendor sells a beer to someone under 21, he's protected from being busted if the buyer of the beer displayed what appeared to be a piece of valid Texas identification.

On the other hand, if the person shows an I.D. from another state, such as Mobilehoma, and it turns out the person is, say, 9, the vendor is NOT protected from being busted.

So, according to Ron Black, the vice president of food service at the state fair, vendors at the fair can choose not to sell beer to people who appear younger than 30 and present an out-of-state ID. He adds this is not a new policy — it's been going on for years — and there are so many booths to buy beer at the state fair that if you're of age and one booth turns you down, you can just go to the next one.

Even if you're an Okie.

I used the age 9 here because up in Oklahoma it's common for 28-year-olds to still be in elementary school. So sometimes at the keg party out at the trailer park up in Yokelhoma the children get mixed up in there with the adults. This is why at Thanksgiving dinner in Oklahoma some of the folks sitting at the little table could use a shave.

Now, you Okies who want to drink before the game may be wondering if you can still use your jailhouse number tattoo as an I.D. to purchase beer at the state fair. Sure, but only if the number on the tattoo matches the number on your ankle restraints.

Also, you Mobilehomans can use your dental records, if you have any teeth left. And remember the rule: only one beer per tooth. Also, the new sobriety test this year for Jokelahomans is answering the question, "Who's your daddy?" I know. That's a tough one. What can I tell you?

In fairness, I'll admit that in all the years I've been to the OU-Texas game, I don't recall ever seeing a Sooner fan drunk. On the other hand, how can you tell if someone is loaded if they're already drooling on their flip-flops and speaking monosyllabically? Hook 'em.

John Kelso's column appears on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays. Contact him at 445-3606 or

[email protected]

Last edited by Cuckoo : 10-05-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #17
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

I think OU wins, not by a blowout but not a close game, either. Like last year, but reversed. I'm not particularly jazzed about the game, even though I'm going for the first time since '99. This ought to be fun.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #18
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

What happened to Louisville's offense?

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:05 PM   #19
Huckleberry
College Starter

By the way, if Texas loses it will be only our second 4-game conference losing streak since 1956.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #20
RendeR
Coordinator

IS Utah really under-the-radar- good or is Louisville so utterly overhyped its pathetic?

Utah handing out an ass kicking tonight.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Both. No, seriously... Utah beat down UCLA as well (who, yes, is overrated as well), and Louisville lost badly to Syracuse.

Though its now looking like Louisville has tightened the game up.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-05-2007 at 09:28 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #22
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
What happened to Louisville's offense?

Crap, I jinxed Utah's D.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #23
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Utah is not good. The teams they beat have slow and no talent defenses.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:32 PM   #24
JeeberD
General Manager

Didn't Utah lose fairly handily to some bad team?

Edit: Ah, yes...UNLV.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 10-05-2007 at 09:33 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #25
Huckleberry
College Starter

Craziest year of college football I can remember. I will start voting in the FOFC Top 25 next week. There are a lot of teams that will probably be in that wouldn't have made it preseason.

Unfortunately Texas' performance hasn't been a surprise.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:43 PM   #26
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Utah is not good. The teams they beat have slow and no talent defenses.

Say what you want about their quality, but the Bruins' D is not slow. You should probably actually watch a game they play in. Also, NFL scouts will tell you there is talent on the UCLA D, too. But they know that better than I do.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #27
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Say what you want about their quality, but the Bruins' D is not slow. You should probably actually watch a game they play in. Also, NFL scouts will tell you there is talent on the UCLA D, too. But they know that better than I do.

Strike a nerve huh? I watched one game of UCLA's and they lost to the same team I am watching now. I understand they had a few turnovers but Utah looked faster then them. 44-6 means something ain't right and I know UCLA recruits better players.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #28
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Strike a nerve huh? I watched one game of UCLA's and they lost to the same team I am watching now. I understand they had a few turnovers but Utah looked faster then them. 44-6 means something ain't right and I know UCLA recruits better players.

Actually, no, I was correcting you, because you obviously watched the aberration in what has otherwise been a fast and talented defense going back to 2006. That Utah game wasn't a speed-talent issue, it was a coaching-effort issue.

You need to watch a team more than once on their worst day to know what's up with them.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #29
timmynausea
College Starter

I really think Louisville has talent. Petrino recruited very well. You can probably chalk a little of it up to transitioning to a new coaching staff, but the bottom line is that they are just incredibly poorly coached on defense. I mean, how do you blow a coverage like they did in the last 30 seconds against Kentucky and do the exact same thing the very first play the next week against Syracuse?

Kragthorpe is clearly an offensive guy, so my guess is they'll bring in a new defensive coordinator next year and get some of this straightened out. Unfortunately for them they'll probably lose a few more that they shouldn't have in the meantime.

Last edited by timmynausea : 10-05-2007 at 10:35 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #30
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Actually, no, I was correcting you, because you obviously watched the aberration in what has otherwise been a fast and talented defense going back to 2006. That Utah game wasn't a speed-talent issue, it was a coaching-effort issue.

You need to watch a team more than once on their worst day to know what's up with them.

Your defense in 2006 didn't look fast to me against Florida State. Drew Weatherford who I am consider to be a C- QB had a good game against your defense.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #31
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

UCLA is fast running in track shorts in the spring but they don't play fast. They are soft, too, which helps.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:11 PM   #32
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Your defense in 2006 didn't look fast to me against Florida State. Drew Weatherford who I am consider to be a C- QB had a good game against your defense.

Read any preview or scouting report you want. You'll find out if there is one thing UCLA's defense has, it's speed. Florida State wasn't our best game either. What were you doing on December 3 last year?

No talent defenses don't place players on postseason or preseason All American teams either.

Give it up, you're out of your element here. You probably couldn't name one player on UCLA's defense.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Now, if you were to say UCLA's defense gives up too many big plays, isn't big at all, is extremely inconsistent, and, yes, IMTG, plays soft at times, then you have an accurate picture of the D. To say they're slow and have no talent, though, is like saying they're not in blue. It's just not true.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-05-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:23 AM   #34
Blade6119
Coordinator

Chief is going crazy this year, every week he seems to go off on someone else
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #35
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Now, if you were to say UCLA's defense gives up too many big plays, isn't big at all, is extremely inconsistent, and, yes, IMTG, plays soft at times, then you have an accurate picture of the D. To say they're slow and have no talent, though, is like saying they're not in blue. It's just not true.

Lets see the times I have seen UCLA play they lost to a faster team Florida State and Utah. Now based on what I have seen with my own two eyes your team is slow and struggles against teams with speed. If you want to continue to debate my ability to interpet what I have seen on the field be my guess but the fact they are your team may be hindering your ability to be objective.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #36
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Miami isn't looking to good.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #37
Celeval
Pro Starter

Maryland player (missed the name - usually a backup LB, but starting today due to an injury) gets into a head-to-head collision with one of his own guys and is down on the field - strapping him to a board to take him off. Not a pretty looking hit, but the player is awake and seems to be speaking.

Maryland leads GT 7-0 in what's been a pretty sloppy game so far.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #38
RendeR
Coordinator

Illinois looks pretty good on offense, Mendenhall is a beast. He had 96 yards in the 1st quarter.

Color me impressed with the Illinis
Old 10-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #39
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The Illini WR Benn is going to be an absolute stud.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #40
RendeR
Coordinator

Ok I praise them and they go on a "lets see how many stupid plays we can run before Wisconsin takes the ball away" run.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #41
st.cronin
General Manager

Illinois is absolutely loaded with talent, no surprise that Wisconsin is having a tough time.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #42
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
Maryland player (missed the name - usually a backup LB, but starting today due to an injury) gets into a head-to-head collision with one of his own guys and is down on the field - strapping him to a board to take him off. Not a pretty looking hit, but the player is awake and seems to be speaking.

Player was moving his extremeties, and has been brought ot a trauma center. The news isn't nearly so good for GT, down 14-3 with Maryland driving again after a Tech fumble.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #43
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Randy Shannon needs to be fired.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #44
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Carolina is laying a major beatdown on Miami. UNC looked pretty good but not great against VT last week, and Miami has been decent, but this isn't even funny anymore.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #45
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Illinois now up 17-0 on Wisconsin in the 2nd quarter.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Maryland now 21-3 over GT, early 2nd quarter.

2x edit to add: Choice breaks into the open field ... and heads for the sidelines, looks like the hamstring may have gotten him again And now he's back in, apparently a cramp got him instead of the hammy.
He's got over 90 yards in the first half and yet GT still trails by a bunch.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-06-2007 at 12:33 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #47
st.cronin
General Manager

Overrated is also known as PJ Hill.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #48
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Illinois is looking good. That spread offense is a killer in the Big Ten.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #49
RendeR
Coordinator

Holy shit North Carolina beating the living hell out of Miami....
Old 10-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #50
Celeval
Pro Starter

GT's defense trying to keep the Jackets in the game, with a strip-fumble-recovery-TD with under a minute to go in the half. If Tech comes back in this game, Friedgen will be second-guessed for that call - dropping back on third and long instead of running the clock out. It's a ways off, though - GT down 21-10 at the half.