Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-27-2004, 06:02 AM   #1
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

NHL EHM Beta Demo available

Now up on sigames.com .... if anyones interested in grabbing a download?

Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:04 AM   #2
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I believe the appropiate phrase is..

I"m on it like white on rice?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:04 AM   #3
Ryan S
Quarterback

Any chance of an http mirror today?
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:08 AM   #4
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Mirrors will undoubtably pop up as people download it and circulate it amongst themselves, we've only got a 2Mb pipe at SI so we can't really host it for download here ourselves I'm afraid ...
Old 05-27-2004, 06:10 AM   #5
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Only problem is Marc.. i'm using bittorent.. and i'm sharing probably with the european people who are downloading.. its making my transfer incredibally bad. oh well
Old 05-27-2004, 06:11 AM   #6
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I'm gambling on not getting caught by the network security guys here at work by attempting this BitTorrent download. Come on, baby, download fast.

Last edited by Tekneek : 05-27-2004 at 06:11 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:12 AM   #7
Ragone
Pro Rookie

uh i'd be careful.. it sends a TON of data outward tekneek.. i had to use this to download the world of warcraft beta.. and it sent out over 6 gigs of data on a 2 gig download..
Old 05-27-2004, 06:37 AM   #8
Ragone
Pro Rookie

30 seconds in and i already have a problem..

you have mike milbury rated as very good.. wtf?

Last edited by Ragone : 05-27-2004 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:09 AM   #9
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I got it downloaded and turned off before most people made it into the office. Hopefully things will be alright. Nobody has come by asking questions...yet.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:10 AM   #10
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

There are numerous data issues with the non-NHL clubs in the US. I'd like to ignore them and assume they will fix it all before release, but I can remember data issues with the lower league clubs in CM that were there even on release day.

Last edited by Tekneek : 05-27-2004 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:13 AM   #11
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Alright... got this thing downloading - let's hope it's ready to go when I get back from work at 5pm EDT! Ugh.... today will be so long.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:16 AM   #12
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
There are numerous data issues with the non-NHL clubs in the US. I'd like to ignore them and assume they will fix it all before release, but I can remember data issues with the lower league clubs in CM that were there even on release day.

What kind of issues? Incorrect players on teams?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 07:17 AM   #13
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

By the way - can people please post detailed accounts of the game so schmucks like me can entertain ourselves at work?
Old 05-27-2004, 07:17 AM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What's all this client install, then d/l stuff? Arghh.. I'll wait for someone to host the file. I should probably wait until the weekend is over anyhow or nothing will get done.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 07:21 AM   #15
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
By the way - can people please post detailed accounts of the game so schmucks like me can entertain ourselves at work?

I usually keep myself entertained at work by locking myself in the supply room for ten minutes with the lights out, then.........well, to each his own, I guess.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 07:24 AM   #16
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
What kind of issues? Incorrect players on teams?

A little of that. Mostly the positions are totally wrong. I looked at my local ECHL team, and they have one goalie listed. The other two goalies are listed as defensemen (one of the goalies was released by mid-season, and the other was actually up with the Blackhawks most of the second half of the season). 6 position players have their positions wrong (forwards listed as defensemen, or defensemen listed as forwards).

I decided to play as Edmonton and they have one of our goalies in Toronto (Roadrunners) listed as a defenseman.

I've glanced around and mostly it is position issues that I have noticed immediately on all the lower league clubs I have looked at. So far, SI says they don't want to hear about database problems...so we just have to hope they have either (1) cleaned it all up already or (2) will get to that over the next month. The problems are such that release with this buggered DB will seriously impact the gameplay for me. I'm sure it will be fixed, and hopefully by release.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:25 AM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Isn't the demo a 4 week old build?

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 07:25 AM   #18
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
I usually keep myself entertained at work by locking myself in the supply room for ten minutes with the lights out, then.........well, to each his own, I guess.

Hahah. My side of the building faces a hotel next door, and well, some people like to leave the curtains pulled regardless of what they are doing in there... I've heard some stories...

Last edited by Tekneek : 05-27-2004 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:27 AM   #19
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Isn't the demo a 4 week old build?

Todd

Yeah. I suppose it just irks me that such obvious DB problems were even present 4 weeks ago. I'm sure it will be repaired, one way or another. Aside from those, everything seems cool. The interface/menus are so different that I know I must be neglecting some things with the team.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:55 AM   #20
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
What's all this client install, then d/l stuff? Arghh.. I'll wait for someone to host the file. I should probably wait until the weekend is over anyhow or nothing will get done.

Todd

With ya. I can't get this to work.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:13 AM   #21
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

That databases have been updated since the demo was created. All should be well for the release.

I'm interested to hear impressions of the demo! I guess that means I can finally share mine!!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:29 AM   #22
Scholes
High School Varsity

I have to run to work now but quickly set some tactics and played my first exhibition game with the Wild against the Coyotes.

Tied 2-2 with Gaborik scoring with a minute left after I pulled the goalie.

The interface is a bit confusing, only because I'm used to Champ Man... I'll get used to it. The screen is real small in 1024x768 mode, doesn't take up the whole screen. In 800x600 it's huge.

I took a quick look at the Gophers and it looks like they have all the players' attributes right (height, weight, skill level, country) just with different names on the players. I'm sure this is a NCAA thing, just like football.

The game stats for the first game turned out about right for a game with the Wild and Coyotes, low shots, good goaltending f/ Boucher and Roloson. I had around 24 shots on goal to their 18, I had my 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines playing defensively, just like the Wild do. I didn't pay a ton of attention though, because I have to leave, but just a quick impression.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:43 AM   #23
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I will be downloading this Friday night/Saturday morning. Quick question, does the Beta allow you to go through the NHL draft?
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:00 AM   #24
scooter
High School Varsity

According to SI, the reason for some of the weird positions that players have is because if nothing is inputted into the database, the game generates a random position. What it probably means is that the researcher assigned to those ECHL teams didn't get all the information in. Hopefully the database can be sorted out before the final game is released.

Anyone found an http mirror site yet? (I'm a little leary of this Bittorent thing)
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:00 AM   #25
Karim
College Starter

Just did a glance through....

The Pengrowth Saddledome is listed as the Calgary Dome with a capacity of only a little over 17k... Isn't anyone watching the playoffs?

Regehr's contract information is wrong as he's signed a five year deal with Calgary in the off-season. Still, I tried to offer him a contract and the board said I could only offer him $7,000/year. I understand board restrictions but that's not even a reasonable suggestion...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:04 AM   #26
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

You might be able to do the draft after the season, but you start in September so you don't get to do a draft in the beginning.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:06 AM   #27
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If someone can get me a copy, I can host it on FOFC-FBCB.com (FOR US FOFCers ONLY, I don't have the bandwidth for it to be a public mirror)
Old 05-27-2004, 09:11 AM   #28
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
Anyone found an http mirror site yet? (I'm a little leary of this Bittorent thing)

I use BitTorrent for downloading bootlegs. I've never had a problem. It's considered standard gear for bootleggers, actually.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:14 AM   #29
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Yeah. I suppose it just irks me that such obvious DB problems were even present 4 weeks ago. I'm sure it will be repaired, one way or another. Aside from those, everything seems cool. The interface/menus are so different that I know I must be neglecting some things with the team.
The database is being continually updated by researchers and most of the errors should have been corrected by now - in case we've missed any we have opened a 'data bugs' forum on the sigames forums for these things .... any assistance which you might give would obviously be appreciated.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:15 AM   #30
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
You might be able to do the draft after the season, but you start in September so you don't get to do a draft in the beginning.
You should be able to do the draft - one of the reasons for the demo end date is simply so you can get to see the main features of the game in operation (of which the draft is obviously one).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 05-27-2004 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:18 AM   #31
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Just did a glance through....

The Pengrowth Saddledome is listed as the Calgary Dome with a capacity of only a little over 17k... Isn't anyone watching the playoffs?

Regehr's contract information is wrong as he's signed a five year deal with Calgary in the off-season. Still, I tried to offer him a contract and the board said I could only offer him $7,000/year. I understand board restrictions but that's not even a reasonable suggestion...

Wow. $7,000/year? That's 3x's below the poverty level, I think.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:20 AM   #32
Karim
College Starter

Well, there are things that are so obvious that it's surprising they were missed. How could the person doing the Flames research get all the jersey numbers wrong? Iginla as #21? Or having both Regehr and Leopold as Left Defencemen? They've been defence partners all year. Or not know the birthplace of the Sutters... only 6 of which have played in the NHL...

I'm going to bite my tongue until I see what's been corrected for the final release before I start to flood the data bugs forum...
Old 05-27-2004, 09:23 AM   #33
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, there are things that are so obvious that it's surprising they were missed. How could the person doing the Flames research get all the jersey numbers wrong? Iginla as #21? Or having both Regehr and Leopold as Left Defencemen? They've been defence partners all year. Or not know the birthplace of the Sutters... only 6 of which have played in the NHL...
Just curious, bit are "left/right" defencemen really needed in hockey games? I realize most games have them, but I've never heard a real-life player described as a left defenceman. Sure, they may play a certain side for most of the year, but the distinction isn't as important as LW/RW unless I'm really missing something.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:28 AM   #34
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:

I'm going to bite my tongue until I see what's been corrected for the final release before I start to flood the data bugs forum...

Once again, if you leave the field blank in the database, the game generates it's own values (player positions, jersey numbers, etc.). The database just needs more info added. Be patient or report it in the data forum at SI and they can tell you if it's been changed.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:29 AM   #35
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Just curious, bit are "left/right" defencemen really needed in hockey games? I realize most games have them, but I've never heard a real-life player described as a left defenceman. Sure, they may play a certain side for most of the year, but the distinction isn't as important as LW/RW unless I'm really missing something.

I think it goes hand in hand with their shooting hand. Sure you have right handed shots manning the left boards but it makes it more difficult to keep the puck in the offensive zone or clear the defensive zone. So I guess when a guy establishes himself as playing the right side he becomes a "RD".

It really depends on how grognard you want to become. I remember posting a question asking about the difference between a LG and RG in football and someone replied about the differences in footwork, lateral movement, strength, tactics, etc.

It's all about perspective.

Last edited by Karim : 05-27-2004 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:33 AM   #36
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I've never liked this distinction either. It never made all that much sense to me. I imagine that, in the game, it wont make all that much difference if you have a "left defenseman" play on the right. I can't imagine too much of an impact. They have the same thing for strat-o-matic hockey, but we always ignored it.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:36 AM   #37
MJ4H
Coordinator

In the play-by-play when my team got a penalty, the penalty was announced even though the play kept going (it was a delayed penalty). It said that will be a 5 minute major for cross-checking, then the play continued until possession changed. I guess that should be changed, unless I am confused.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:36 AM   #38
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
Once again, if you leave the field blank in the database, the game generates it's own values (player positions, jersey numbers, etc.). The database just needs more info added. Be patient or report it in the data forum at SI and they can tell you if it's been changed.

Will do. I'll wait to see the final product before commenting further on data issues.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:37 AM   #39
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
In the play-by-play when my team got a penalty, the penalty was announced even though the play kept going (it was a delayed penalty). It said that will be a 5 minute major for cross-checking, then the play continued until possession changed. I guess that should be changed, unless I am confused.

That's sounds correct unless your team was in possession throughout the delay.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:37 AM   #40
Danny
Head Coach

I'm an idiot, in the few minutes I had to run he demo this morning, I couldn't even find where to simulate a game
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:38 AM   #41
Karim
College Starter

Anyone having problems exiting? My exit button is ghosted but when I click on the X I get a window asking me to use the menu button. I don't see any other way of exiting.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:40 AM   #42
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
That's sounds correct unless your team was in possession throughout the delay.
But they wouldn't know it was a five-minute penalty until the play stopped.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:41 AM   #43
Easy Mac

Quote:
Anyone having problems exiting? My exit button is ghosted but when I click on the X I get a window asking me to use the menu button. I don't see any other way of exiting.

You have to be on certain screens to use the button. You can't be in the tactics screen, and maybe a few others.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:47 AM   #44
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
But they wouldn't know it was a five-minute penalty until the play stopped.

Bingo.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:08 AM   #45
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
The database is being continually updated by researchers and most of the errors should have been corrected by now - in case we've missed any we have opened a 'data bugs' forum on the sigames forums for these things .... any assistance which you might give would obviously be appreciated.

I saw that new forum when I went back. I made some contributions and will scour it looking for more that I don't see reported...just to try and help it be the best that it can be.

From a playing perspective, everything is excellent except fights seem down.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:10 AM   #46
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Wow. $7,000/year? That's 3x's below the poverty level, I think.

Tried to sign Belfour to an extension... and the board would only allow me to pay him $10,000 US????
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:13 AM   #47
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

You decide what their numbers are. Try giving them the numbers you think they should have, and see if they get them...

As far as birthplace and positions go, make the proper post over in their DB problems forum. That will get the best result. It's what I did once I knew it existed.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:15 AM   #48
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I've never liked this distinction either. It never made all that much sense to me. I imagine that, in the game, it wont make all that much difference if you have a "left defenseman" play on the right. I can't imagine too much of an impact. They have the same thing for strat-o-matic hockey, but we always ignored it.

Sometimes it does. I've seen defensemen who are obviously better on one side than the other, depending on whether they shoot right or left handed, as well as their positioning.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:15 AM   #49
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Tried to sign Belfour to an extension... and the board would only allow me to pay him $10,000 US????

Heheh. Did Belfour start destroying the training facility after that one?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:25 AM   #50
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian

Just get him drunk and tell him you'll give him a billion dollars.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote