Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2004, 05:54 PM   #101
wade moore
lolzcat

I will say what I said on CFL..

I beat San Antonio AND Detroit, have a better record than both of them, and they are 5/1 while I am 8/1... what injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:00 PM   #102
Taco
High School JV

Shall we post here in this thread while the board is down? It seems like the site has had a lot of problems lately. What is going on? Do we need to find another temporary board?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:48 PM   #103
JeeberD
General Manager

Hmmm...I have a big decision to make going into my grudge match with Fargo. Ernest Lorenzo is a beloved icon in El Paso. He may not be the most talented QB in the world, but he's tough, gritty, and the Rockets single game rushing record holder.

In El Paso's week twelves overtime loss to Memphis Ernest Lorenzo was sacked and seperated his shoulder. In his place stepped unheralded, untalented Danny Rutter, a rookie QB out of Illinois. He lead El Paso to the brink of victory against Memphis only to have it snatched away because of defensive penalties.

Rutter started the next two games for the Rockets, against Tuscon and Shreveport. In the first game he pulled out a fourth quarter comeback to beat Tuscon and gain his first career victory. In the game against Shreveport he did just enough and didn't make any mistakes and lead the Rockets to back-to-back victories for the first time in franchise history.

This week we play our big rival Fargo. Fargo has beaten the Rockets three straight times (though we should have won the last game ) and stole one of our best players in free agency last year. This game means a lot to the Rockets' fans and I, as the GM of the Rockets, feel that we desperately need to get this Fargo monkey off our back.

Lorenzo is listed as questionable for this week's game. Should I put the beloved El Paso icon into the lineup and risk another injury that could stunt his development? Should I start the quarterback who seems far inferior but has led the team to consecutive victories? Such a difficult decision to make...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:21 PM   #104
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

your out of the playoff hunt... I wouldn't risk the serious injury- stick with Rutter for one more week.

As for Talon news- we are coming in with 3 wins in our last 4 games.
Our 3 best DEs are out with injuries.
I am hoping to win 1 more game this season and finish 6-10, 8-8 would be nice...but i dont think that will happen.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:31 PM   #105
JeeberD
General Manager

Yay, the board is back up!

Old 08-02-2004, 05:07 AM   #106
3ric
College Starter

***SPOILERS*** Wild card round results ***SPOILERS***

T
Boise City (0-0)
Final
Las Vegas (0-0)
PoG: QB Lenny Olsen, LVS
22/31, 289 yds, 2 TD, 1 int

It was Over When...
...K Felix Savoy kicked a 37-yd FG as time expired. QB Lenny Olsen's 22-yd TD pass to WR Gerald tied the game with 1:07 left, but as the Stampede waited for overtime, they lost the ball when QB Branden Lin was sacked by DT Howie Aaron , forcing a fumble. RB Karl ran twice for 8 yds before they sent in Savoy.

The Game Ball Goes To...
...WR Thad Gerald. The other wideout, John Walker, had six catches for 152 yds, and a long gain for 47 yds, but Gerald caught two touchdown passes of 22 yds each from Olsen in the fourth quarter to lift the Crawfish to the Conference semis.

T
Detroit (0-0)
Final
San Antonio (0-0)
PoG: QB Freddie Mathias, DET
19/31, 225 yds, 3 TD, 2 int
It was Over When...
...FB John Bevan scored on a 1-yd pass reception early in the fourth quarter. The Armadillos had to score three touchdowns to survive, but CB Chris Carleton intercepted QB Monroe Smart's pass in the end zone with 10:36 remaining, and they never got as close again.

The Game Ball Goes To...
...Mathias. Passed for three scores and ran in with a fourth himself. Had great help from RB Thomas Wadsworth, who contributed with 90 yds on the ground on 19 carries and 35 yds on 5 receptions.

T
Santa Cruz (0-0)
Final
Denver (0-0)
PoG: QB Brett Hedges, SCU
14/24, 155 yds, 1 TD, 0 int
It was Over When...
...Dynomite QB Edward Kimber had 3 consecutive incomplete passes (one defended pass, and two drops) with less than 46 seconds left. He had closed the gap to six points with a 46-yd TD pass to WR Billingsley and had gotten the ball back due to a Santa Cruz fumble on Denver's 32-yd line, but the luck ended there.

The Game Ball Goes To...
...RB Forest Powell. Had a huge game with 33 carries for 194 yds, which made the difference. The Privateers had problems with fumbles but had two interceptions, one returned 86 yds by CB David Visser for a score.

T
Tampa Bay(0-0)
Final
Hartford (0-0)
PoG: DE Andrew Russel, HAR
7 tck, 2 ast, 4 sacks, 2 hurries
It was Over When...
...K Felton Cooper hit a 40-yd FG with 12 seconds left in the fourth quarter.
WR Lopez had a huge catch earlier on the drive when he caught a 13-yd pass on 4th and 8 for the Torpedos to stay alive.

The Game Ball Goes To...
...WR Pedro Lopez. When the official player of the game is a defender on the losing team, you know the winning offense had it tough. Lopez ran a reverse for the game's only touchdown in the first quarter and caught six passes for 87 yds, including that crucial 13-yarder.

Last edited by 3ric : 08-03-2004 at 01:43 AM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:51 AM   #107
3ric
College Starter

Conference semifinals review:

T
Detroit (0-0)
Final
Charleston (0-0)
PoG: QB Timothy Gordon, CHT
17/39, 152 yds, 1 TD, 0 int

It was Over When...
...the Vampires couldn't get a first down on four out of five third-down plays in the fourth quarter. The only time they did so, was because the Sixpacks was flagged for defensive holding. A big part in that was the injury to QB Freddie Mathias with 8:34 left in the game.

The Game Ball Goes To...
...WR Ronald Tibbetts. Not only for scoring the game's only touchdown, but also for big plays that set up all the other scores as well. A 9 yd punt return leading to the first FG, two catches for 8 and 13 yds for the TD, a 17-yd reception leading to the second FG and a 16-yd punt return down to the Detroit 39-yd line before the last 3-point kick.

T
Las Vegas (0-0)
Final
Oregon (0-0)
PoG: QB Lenny Olsen, LVS
19/33, 210 yds, 2 TD, 0 int
It was Over When...
...a pass from Oregon QB Landon Hurst was intercepted in the end zone by CB Chase Kirkland with 3:52 left in the fourth quarter. Hurst had completed a 59-yd pass to WR Alden Roy to set up the opportunity, only to see it slip away. Las Vegas could advance the ball to the Ice's 13-yd line before time expired.

The Game Ball Goes To...
...running back Thomas Karl and fullback Pedro Murr. They combined for 29 carries and 176 yds running to provide another dimension to Las Vegas' powerful pass attack.

T
Santa Cruz (0-0)
Final
Sacramento (0-0)
24/35, 216 yds, 2 TD, 0 int
It was Over When...
...DE Conrad Pellegrini forced QB Seymour Barre to hurry his pass on 4th and 7 on the Santa Cruz 39-yd line with 1:32 left. The ball fell incomplete and RB Forest Powell ran three times before Hedges took a knee to run out the clock.

The Game Ball Goes To...
...WR Marvin Athey, who had six catches for 105 yds. His 26-yd gain in the third quarter set up the score that gave the Privateers the lead.

T
Tampa Bay (0-0)
Final
Albany (0-0)
PoG: QB Lane Manuel, TBY
18/25, 222 yds, 2 TD, 1 int
It was Over When...
...Elias Alvey ran in from 8 yds out for a TD and a 25-point lead early in the fourth quarter. QB Rocky McFarland made a valiant effort to catch up on the Engineer's next drive, but got only to Tampa's 19-yd line before throwing an interception to CB Erwin Koch.

The Game Ball Goes To...
...the Torpedos' pass rush, led by DE Lance Price. Price had 2.5 of a total of seven sacks on McFarland.

Old 08-05-2004, 07:54 AM   #108
3ric
College Starter

Conference finals are on Sunday evening (EST) with Tampa Bay vs Charleston and Las Vegas vs Santa Cruz. One of these four will be the next CFL champion!
Old 08-05-2004, 08:04 AM   #109
MIJB#19
Coordinator

A brilliant conference final in Tampa Bay at Charleston.
Honestly, I know nothing about Las Vegas and Santa Cruz.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:17 AM   #110
3ric
College Starter

Conference finals review:

T
Tampa Bay (0-0)
Final
Charleston (0-0)
PoG: K Paul Stephan, CHT
4/4 FGs, 43 lg, 1/1 PATs

It was Over When...
...only eight seconds was left and a game that seemed headed for overtime was done when K Paul Stephan's 35-yd FG stayed true and crossed the bar. The kick completed an improbable comeback for the Sixpack who came back twice from deficits.

The Game Ball Goes To...
...DT Barry Goldsberry, who recovered the fumbled ball as QB Lane Manuel was sacked by blitzing free safety Quinn Myers with only 13 seconds to go in the fourth quarter. The crucial turnover killed the game for the Torpedos, as they had to watch Charleston kick the winning field goal.

T
Santa Cruz (0-0)
Final
Las Vegas (0-0)
21/33, 192 yds, 2 TD, 0 int
It was Over When...
...CB Noble Bird intercepted QB Lenny Olsen's last-second desperation pass from the Santa Cruz' 29-yd line. Olsen had brought up the Crawfish from their own 34-yd line in an attempt to force overtime, but as the time was almost up he had to go for it.

The Game Ball Goes To...
...WR Marvin Athey, who scored twice and had 7 catches for 70 yds, and RB Forest Powell who provided 92 yds running and a TD on 23 carries. All three scores came in a blistering scoring spree as the Privateers got 21 unanswered points late in the third and the fourth quarter.

Old 08-10-2004, 09:18 AM   #111
3ric
College Starter

And the 2004 CFL Bowl features the Charleston Sixpacks vs Santa Cruz Privateers! The results may be up as soon as tomorrow or the day after tomorrow...
Old 08-12-2004, 06:17 AM   #112
3ric
College Starter

The CFL bowl review:

T
Santa Cruz (0-0)
Final
Charleston (0-0)
PoG: QB Timothy Gordon, CHT
15/29, 174 yds, 1 TD, 0 int

It was Over When...
...the two-minute warning had sounded in the fourth quarter and Santa Cruz was stuck on their own 31-yd line. QB Hedges threw three straight incompletions (one defended, two hurried) to turn the ball over on downs.

The Game Ball Goes To...
...Sixpacks DE Marlon Rooks who forced the Privateers to settle for a 28-yd field goal, and the score 16-17, with 6.32 left. Rooks hurried QB Brett Hedges' pass on 3rd and 10 on the Charleston 11-yd line. Tim Gordon went on to shave 4:32 off the clock and get that four-point lead with two minutes to go.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:07 PM   #113
Taco
High School JV

Taco's 2004 Owner Awards

Welcome to the first annual Taco Owner Awards!

Best Game Planning: JeeberD (El Paso)
JeeberD's week 4 game plan shocked everyone, especially the Huntington Beach defense. Quarterback Ernest Lorenzo rushed 38 times for 189 yards and 2 touchdowns to lead his team to their first victory of the season.

Best Dynasty: wademoore (Tampa Bay)
Wade's dynasty at FOFC has been one of the most enjoyable parts of this league. Keep writing, wade!

Best Writeups: 3ric (Baltimore)
3ric's weekly game summaries are a great way to check out the results of every CFL game.

Best Free Agent Signing (Offense): MC (Fargo)
In the 3rd week of free agency TE Delbert Lonergan left El Paso to play for an extra $100,000 in Fargo. Lonergan went on to catch 67 passes for 668 yards and 2 TDs. Nevermind the fact that he dropped 10 passes.

Best Free Agent Signing (Defense): Passacaglia (Boston)
Also in the 3rd week of free agency Passacaglia signed CB James Nichols away from the Sacramento Dragons. Nichols started all 16 games for Boston and had 8 interceptions along with 2 touchdowns. He also defended 19 passes.

Best Draft Pick: Doug5984 (Tulsa)
Doug traded down from #2 to #4 and still got the player he wanted, RB Butch Fulton. Fulton went on to win the rookie of the year award despite playing in only 14 games. He finished his rookie season with 1221 rushing yards (10th in the league).

Best Trade: varacel (Denver)
Varacel's trade with Gallifrey (Albany) was a major reason why Denver went 11-5 and easily won their division. In this trade Varacel acquired CB Cristobal Teel (16 game starter, 3 INTs, 7 passes defended), WR Curtis Chilton (12 game starter, 53 catches for 774 yards and 5 TDs), and a 6th round draft pick in exchange for a backup CB (Marlon Silvanic) and a 4th round draft pick. Two quality players in exchange for moving down from the 4th round to the 6th round was a great deal for Denver and varacel.

Best Rookie Owner: fantastic flying froggies (Detroit)
fff is an active owner who is fun to have in the league, and you can't overlook the fact that he took the Detroit Vampires from a 1-15 record to a 10-6 record and a playoff berth. Great job, fff!

Best Team Performance: Joe (Santa Cruz)
Joe took a 4-12 team and took them all the way to the CFL Bowl. Santa Cruz was winning the championship game at halftime 13-3, but couldn't hold off Timothy Gordon in the second half. Still it was a great job by Joe!

Congratulations to all of the winners!
Old 08-13-2004, 02:06 AM   #114
3ric
College Starter

Wow! Great article!
Old 08-13-2004, 02:21 AM   #115
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

disappointing
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:13 AM   #116
wade moore
lolzcat

Great writeup 3ric!

I'm glad so many people enjoy my dynasty!

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 08-13-2004, 06:06 AM   #117
Taco
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
disappointing

There still is the best "Return From Retirement" award that hasn't been given to anyone yet. We started the new year and Timothy Gordon did NOT retire! The rumor in Charleston is that he wants his hold coach back. Come on, sov, pull a Bill Parcells and give the league another chance!
Old 10-04-2004, 03:31 PM   #118
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

I think Sovereignstar rightly deserves the 'best return from retirement' award now!!!

Anyway, it is high time that this thread be bumped.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:35 PM   #119
Pro Rookie

Exclamation Pre-season injury watch

It's that time of year again! Every pre-season game, there's a chance one of your stars, or projected starters, goes down with a long term injury.

This chronicle will recap the major injuries every preseason week, major meaning either a long one or an injury to an important player.

Unlucky loser in week 1 and 2 was Seattle, who lost franchise QB Charles Dever.

Most injuries that took place during preseason week 3 are on there. I've also added a couple of much older ones involving some major CFL players. These, as well as a few updated comments from week 2, are highlighted in blue in the table.

Of note, Boston and Chicago are the luckiest teams, with no single injury so far.
The injury bug hits New Orleans this week, losing 5 players to various injuries. New Orleans is also the only team to have a major injury, ie season ending or worse, this week. OLB Yuan, is out for most, if not all, of the season.

But without any further ado, here's the linky

ps : does anybody else have the funky lines ? or is it just me ? I'll fix it in later issues...

ps2: I went a little silly on some of those comments, I hope you won't mind...

Last edited by fantastic flying froggies : 10-04-2004 at 03:40 PM.
fantastic flying froggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 05:59 PM   #120
Taco
High School JV

Thanks for bumping this, FFF!

Opening day is only one week away and the excitement is starting to build! Week 1 is a unique week where every single game is a division game. Here is a quick summary of the week 1 schedule:

Arizona at Tucson
Battle for bragging rights in the desert. Tucson leads the series 3-1.

Baltimore at Charleston
Combined records of these two teams over 2 seasons is 51-13.

Boise at Anchorage
Boise makes the long trip to Alaska where they lost in overtime last year.

Boston at Atlantic City
Last season in week 15 Boston shut out Atlantic City 17-0. The Phantoms are ready for revenge.

Chicago at Cleveland
Cleveland has a 3 game winning streak against Chicago.

Denver at Tulsa
Tulsa had their biggest victory in franchise history last year in week 11 when they beat Denver 27-13.

Detroit at Albany
Rocky McFarland has 4 TD passes and 0 INTs in 3 games against Detroit.

El Paso at Fargo
Rivals meet for the fifth time. Fargo has won the first four games.

Honolulu at Las Vegas
Ronnie Tu hopes to torch Vegas' weak secondary.

Long Beach at Huntington Beach
The Beach Bowl series has been dominated by Huntington Beach thus far.

Memphis at New Orleans
Can Memphis bounce back to their 2003 form? Can New Orleans improve after a pair of 6-10 seasons?

New York at Hartford
These two teams tied 20-20 in week 15 last year.

Oregon at Seattle
Seattle played tough against Oregon last season and won't lay down for the Ice this year either.

Santa Cruz at Sacramento
Sacramento is playing for revenge for last year's playoff upset.

Shreveport at San Antonio
The Pride is 0-4 against the Armadillos but it's a brand new year.

Tampa Bay at Durham
Motormouth Bowl III. Will Motormouth finally lead his team to victory or will he put his foot in his mouth once again?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:57 AM   #121
Pro Rookie

Exclamation Updated Injury Watch

Latest update is uploaded and available for your perusal. I've added most week 4 injuries and left only players injured in previous weeks only when their status had changed (shown in blue).

Link

Tampa has a lot of injuries, and to key players. Fortunately for him, they're all relatively minor and short-term. In other words, Durham and Anchorage should be happy they play TB in the first 2 week of the season. Umm, Taco, any comment ???

Just one preseason week left. Hide your stars, guys!

I need to compare with last year's info, but I have a feeling there are a lot less season-ending injuries so far this season...

Last edited by fantastic flying froggies : 10-06-2004 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:02 AM   #122
Pro Rookie

New rankings features

Some cool new features in the CFL.

CFL Guru team rankings

FFF team power rankings - week 7

Be sure and check 'em out!
Old 11-04-2004, 11:02 AM   #123
3ric
College Starter

For a quick summary of the first six weeks of the season:
Weekly Reviews
Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4
Week 5
Week 6
Old 11-04-2004, 11:54 AM   #124
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Who's running my Breakers these days? I'm expecting MORE!!!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:34 PM   #125
JeeberD
General Manager

How about those upstart El Paso Rockets? They might not score many points, but they sure are managing to win some games...

Old 11-04-2004, 04:22 PM   #126
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies
Some cool new features in the CFL.

CFL Guru team rankings

FFF team power rankings - week 7

Be sure and check 'em out!
Copy cats! Okay, so my IHOF power rankings were not so much of a new initiative compared to the dozens of NFL power rankings (every major news network has their own), but power ranking fof teams?

Edit: I also noticed that flere-imsaho (Boston Panthers) got inspired to make weekly players of the week honors for his team. Thanks!

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 11-04-2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:43 PM   #127
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
How about those upstart El Paso Rockets? They might not score many points, but they sure are managing to win some games...

*cough* Some games. *cough* *cough*

Last edited by Fonzie : 11-04-2004 at 04:43 PM.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:35 AM   #128
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Copy cats! Okay, so my IHOF power rankings were not so much of a new initiative compared to the dozens of NFL power rankings (every major news network has their own), but power ranking fof teams?

You were actually acknowledged as my inspiration the first time I posted my rankings.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:30 PM   #129
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
You were actually acknowledged as my inspiration the first time I posted my rankings.
Wow, thanks, I completely missed that. Always good to read you're inspiring others to do something. (Even though I couldn't find it other then seeing that guy-hiding-behind-SI.com inspired you. ) It's also good to read that someone actually found out how much time and effort it takes to come up with something to write for all 32 teams.

I guess now I have to return the favor to the ESPN website people...

By the way, what happened to the Tampa Bay Torpedo(e)s?
Old 11-06-2004, 11:02 AM   #130
Pro Rookie

Quote:
By the way, what happened to the Tampa Bay Torpedo(e)s?

They bombed!
Old 11-06-2004, 11:30 AM   #131
3ric
College Starter

About the same thing that happened to the Conyers Condors...
Old 11-06-2004, 11:34 AM   #132
Taco
High School JV

His backups were playing for the first 3 games so that didn't help:
http://www.thecfl.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7266#7266

Wade, where have you been? We need Levy, Alvey, and company to start to stand up to Motormouth!
Old 11-06-2004, 05:04 PM   #133
MIJB#19
Coordinator

But this is just plain silly, the IHOF Merchantmen have lost as much in 11 games as the CFL Torpedoes did in 7 games!
Old 11-07-2004, 02:37 PM   #134
Havok
College Starter

I knew GE would make this league awsome one day

I miss my Chicago Hitman.... unfortunetly it seems like they haven't changed much since i left (no passing game). But i see Auther Brady is still running strong.

oh... and i see Hartford still sucks
Old 11-07-2004, 09:26 PM   #135
Raven Hawk
College Starter

CFL:Behind the Player

Worshipping at the Shrine of Ronnie Tu

by Klemu Hakkinen

Soda Springs, Idaho has two claims to fame. The first claim and oldest claim is that they were an oasis along the fabled Oregon trail during the country's manifest destiny and westward expansion years. Their second claim to fame, and most notable nowadays, is that they are home to Quarterback Ronnie Tu of the Honolulu Blue Pacific.

In the mid 1800's Soda Springs was a mere watering hole for travelers heading out west. The United States had declared that it had a manifest destiny, meaning that all the land between the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean was destined to be theirs. That belief that has been firmly embedded in the population of Soda Springs, has planted itself firmly in the heart of one of the CFL's most prolific quarterbacks. Ronnie Tu believes that it is his manifest destiny to receive every award that a quarterback could possibly achieve. His first priority? A CFL title.

College was no different for Ronnie. At Fresno State, he filled trophy cases with awards and division titles. Ronnie lead the Bulldogs to WAC titles in both his Junior and Senior years and amassed 2 WAC MVP awards, 3 WAC Offensive MVP Awards, a Heisman Trophy, MVP of the Senior Bowl and a Cotton Bowl victory. He set WAC records in passing yardage and passing touchdowns. The legend of Ronnie Tu remains strong in Fresno, California, even though Tu has been gone for eight years.

Covering a game at Fresno State not too long ago, I visited the student union on campus and was surprised to see a 30 foot painted mural of Ronnie Tu in the entry hall to the building. Below it was a trophy case with all the awards that Ronnie had won for his Bulldogs. Saturdays, one hour before game time, a mass of students funneled into the student union each with a handful of grass pulled from the lawn outside. As they entered and exited in an orderly manner, they each placed a handful of the turf atop the trophy case, touched the mural, and then left for the game. This, I found, was the Shrine of Ronnie Tu. Campus legend has it that by placing a handful of turf on the trophy case below Ronnie's mural will bring the Bulldog's good luck in their upcoming game.

I came back the following day before a Honolulu Blue Pacific game and noticed the same ritual going on. I approached one of the students after they had made their offering to the Shrine and asked them why they did this.

"Ronnie has done so much for our school, even after he left," said the young lady. "He donates money to campus charities and to the school itself. We want Ronnie to continue to have a successful career in the CFL, so we place these offerings in hope that he remains healthy and continues his career for a long time."

This practice has followed him from Fresno, California, all the way to Honolulu, Hawaii. On game day, locals gather at a similar shrine painted on the side of The Ukulele Grill in Honolulu and make their offerings of grass. The owner of the restaurant, Sam Akanoule, says that he had heard about the custom in Fresno and wanted to bring luck to his favorite team, the Blue Pacific. The Ukulele Grill remains a favorite spot for local fans to watch the Sunday action on television.

How well do these offerings work? Well, since the beginning of the 2005 season, the Blue Pacific are 6-1 with their only loss coming at home against division rival, the Tucson Toros, who lead the Blue Pacific by only half a game. Ronnie Tu has thrown 13 touchdowns to only 2 interceptions. He's third in the league in passer rating, at 103.8, and passing yards, with 1912.

After sitting down with Ronnie, I was assured that the Blue Pacific would have something special saved for the Toros when they next play. Although Ronnie isn't short on words, he has a quiet grace about him, giving credit where it is due. At one point in our discussion he said: "I'm just glad I do not need to face our secondary. They are fantastic in their pass defense, especially with Johnny (Murguia) out there roaming center field for us."

He also shows professionalism in regard to past moves that the team has made. I asked him about his feelings about the club dealing their former running back, Jeromy Donahue to Charleston. Tu stated, "Donahue's a tough character and I don't like commenting on past issues. But everyone in the clubhouse has moved on and their is an air of relief on the fact that Donahue and the Waves have gone their separate ways. The media has their theories about how we barely tolerated each other, but that's just mindless speculation on their part."

Ronnie is certainly disappointed that his Waves did not make the playoffs last year. He has vowed to get them there this year: "Once the playoffs start, anything can happen. The big thing is that you have to make it to the show. That's a hard road in it's own right. I think that 11-5 would be a good goal for us this year, but we have a tough division. I felt bad that we couldn't make the playoffs last year and I plan to make ammends this year for it. The fans of Hawaii deserve it."

And finally I had to ask him about his thoughts on the CFL's most notorious player, Motormouth Vazquez: "Motormouth should keep quiet. Just play the game and when he decides to open his mouth, he better have just won it all. Not actually make it in the game. Besides, I heard rumors of pictures and a masking agent....."

This reporter cannot confirm, nor deny, the allegations of pictures or masking agents.

When all is said and done, Ronnie Tu is a stand up guy. He gives back to the community and loves the team that he plays for. Tu has lofty goals, but he is not arrogant about them. Yes, he wants to fulfill his "manifest destiny," but he has assured me he has set those goals for his team. For Ronnie Tu, his manifest destiny goes beyond the western coast of the United States. It extends all the way out to a string of islands in the Pacific, a string of islands that loves their quarterback.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:18 PM   #136
Pro Rookie

Arrow FFF power rankings - Week 9

Up of the week: Las Vegas. The Crawfish welcome their new owner by upsetting El Paso and climbing 5 spots in the rankings.

Downer of the week: El Paso and New Orleans, both down 6 spots.
El Paso drops its 3rd straight game after a 5-0 start, and at lowly Las Vegas on top of that.
Detroit snaps New Orleans' 5 game winning streak and that costs the Breakers a lotta points in the rankings.

And now, your rankings!

Code:

Rank (previous) Team Record Points
1 (1) Tucson (7-0-1) 109
2 (2) Honolulu (7-1) 98
3 (3) Santa Cruz (6-2) 63
4 (4) Durham (6-2) 61
5 (7) Detroit (6-2) 56
6 (9) Boise (6-3) 50
7 (5) San Antonio (6-3) 50
8 (6) Baltimore (5-3) 44
9 (11) Sacramento (6-2) 41
10 (13) Anchorage (6-3) 38
11 (14) New York (5-3) 37
12 (15) Hartford (5-3) 36
13 (16) Charleston (5-3) 32
14 (8) El Paso (5-3) 25
15 (12) Denver (5-3) 23
16 (10) New Orleans (5-4) 12
17 (17) Oregon (4-5) 8
18 (18) Memphis (5-4) 1
19 (20) Arizona (3-4-1) -19
20 (24) Albany (4-5) -25
21 (19) Boston (3-5) -36
22 (21) Cleveland (3-5) -38
23 (25) Chicago (2-6) -45
24 (23) Fargo (2-6) -46
25 (29) Tampa Bay (2-6) -53
26 (22) Atlantic City (3-5) -54
27 (32) Las Vegas (2-6) -67
28 (26) Seattle (2-6) -71
29 (27) Long Beach (2-7) -74
30 (28) Huntington Beach (1-7) -81
31 (31) Shreveport (1-7) -86
32 (30) Tulsa (1-7) -89
Old 11-11-2004, 09:18 PM   #137
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Rank (previous) Team Record Points
1 (1) Tucson (7-0-1) 109

Thank heavens for good luck. Without it I'd be 3-4-1 right now.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if that was my record over the second half of the season. I just don't see my Toros as being more than an ordinary team. Not that I'm complaining or anything - I'm enjoying this while it lasts!
Old 11-12-2004, 10:59 AM   #138
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
Thank heavens for good luck. Without it I'd be 3-4-1 right now.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if that was my record over the second half of the season. I just don't see my Toros as being more than an ordinary team. Not that I'm complaining or anything - I'm enjoying this while it lasts!

Of course, having posted this just jinxed Fonzie and his Tucson Toros as they suffered their 1st loss of the season in week 10...
Old 11-12-2004, 04:20 PM   #139
Pro Rookie

FFF team rankings - week 10

After spending many weeks in ambush, Honolulu is our new #1!!! Congrats !

Upper of the week: Huntington Beach, up 5 spots from 30 to 25.

Downer of the week: a whole bunch of differents team lose 3 spots. Ready, here we go: Anchorage, Arizona, El Paso, Las Vegas, Sacramento and Seattle...

And now, your rankings:

Code:
Rank
Prev
Team
Record
(2)
Honolulu
(8-1)
(4)
Durham
(7-2)
(1)
Tucson
(7-1-1)
(3)
Santa Cruz
(7-2)
(5)
Detroit
(7-2)
(6)
Boise
(7-3)
(8)
Baltimore
(6-3)
(11)
New York
(6-3)
(7)
San Antonio
(6-3)
(12)
Hartford
(6-3)
(15)
Denver
(6-3)
(9)
Sacramento
(6-3)
(10)
Anchorage
(6-4)
(13)
Charleston
(5-4)
(18)
Memphis
(6-4)
(17)
Oregon
(4-5)
(14)
El Paso
(5-4)
(16)
New Orleans
(5-5)
(22)
Cleveland
(4-5)
(24)
Fargo
(3-6)
(20)
Albany
(4-5)
(19)
Arizona
(3-5-1)
(21)
Boston
(3-6)
(23)
Chicago
(2-7)
(30)
Huntington Beach
(2-7)
(25)
Tampa Bay
(2-7)
(26)
Atlantic City
(3-6)
(32)
Tulsa
(2-7)
(29)
Long Beach
(2-7)
(27)
Las Vegas
(2-7)
(28)
Seattle
(2-7)
(31)
Shreveport
(1-8)

Ideal best score: 138 points
Worse possible score: -136 points

Last edited by fantastic flying froggies : 11-12-2004 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:43 AM   #140
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Of course, having posted this just jinxed Fonzie and his Tucson Toros as they suffered their 1st loss of the season in week 10...

I should've known better.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:41 PM   #141
Pro Rookie

FFF Team rankings - week 11

Here goes nothing! For the first time ever, there 's a tie between two teams in the weekly FFF rankings. In fact, there are TWO instances of tied teams, to the decimal point. Not much movement at the top, but a lot of around around in the lower end of the spectrum...

Up of the week: El Paso, up 6 spots. Is it the start of a new winning streak? Honorable mention to Shreveport as well, up 5 after snapping their 7 game losing streak.

Down of the week: Fargo loses 5 spots after being beaten by El Paso

Code:
Ranking Previous week Team Record Points 1 (1) Honolulu (9-1) 123 2t (2) Durham (8-2) 93 2t (3) Tucson (8-1-1) 93 4 (4) Santa Cruz (8-2) 84 5 (5) Detroit (8-2) 80 6t (7) Baltimore (7-3) 65 6t (6) Boise (7-3) 65 8 (10) Hartford (7-3) 62 9 (8) New York (6-4) 37 10 (9) San Antonio (6-4) 35 11 (17) El Paso (6-4) 28 12 (16) Oregon (5-5) 22 13 (13) Anchorage (6-4) 21 14 (11) Denver (6-4) 19 15 (15) Memphis (6-4) 16 16 (12) Sacramento (6-4) 14 17 (14) Charleston (5-5) 5 18 (18) New Orleans (5-5) -4 19 (23) Boston (4-6) -27 20 (19) Cleveland (4-6) -35 21 (24) Chicago (3-7) -42 22 (21) Albany (4-6) -43 22 (25) Huntington Beach (3-7) -43 24 (22) Arizona (3-6-1) -47 25 (20) Fargo (3-7) -48 26 (28) Tulsa (3-7) -59 27 (32) Shreveport (2-8) -75 28 (26) Tampa Bay (2-8) -78 29 (27) Atlantic City (3-7) -81 30 (29) Long Beach (2-8) -87 31 (31) Seattle (2-8) -93 32 (30) Las Vegas (2-8) -94

Best possible score of the week: 145 points
Worse possible score of the week: -146 points
Old 11-16-2004, 01:44 PM   #142
Pro Rookie

Rankings by division:

Atlantic 85 pts
Ring of Fire 75 pts
Ring of Cold 14 pts
Yankee -9 pts
Deep South -29 pts
San Andreas -32 pts
Great Lakes -39 pts
Cavalry -60 pts
Old 11-16-2004, 04:31 PM   #143
JeeberD
General Manager

And El Paso sweeps bitter rival Fargo after two seasons of getting swept by them. Ernest Lorenzo for president!!!!

Old 11-16-2004, 06:54 PM   #144
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Wow - I'm proud to have the suckiest team!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:29 AM   #145
Pro Rookie

FFF Team Rankings - Week 12

Another week of rankings brought to you by FFF.

And it will not come as a surprise to our faithful readers that we have a new #1! Honolulu was shocked by Chicago last week and their old nemesis, Tucson, takes this opportunity to reclaim the spot they 've already held 4 times this season.

Up of the week: Sacramento, up 5 spots to #16 after defeating the Memphis Express.

Down of the week: New York, down 6 spots. The Knights fall out of the Top 10 after losing a defensive battle in El Paso.

Code:
Rank Previous week Team Record Points 1 (2) Tucson (9-1-1) 106 2 (1) Honolulu (9-2) 100 3 (4) Santa Cruz (9-2) 96 4 (6) Boise (8-3) 78 5 (8) Hartford (8-3) 76 6 (2) Durham (8-3) 69 7 (5) Detroit (8-3) 58 8 (6) Baltimore (7-4) 51 9 (13) Anchorage (7-4) 42 10 (11) El Paso (7-4) 41 11 (16) Sacramento (7-4) 34 12 (12) Oregon (6-5) 33 13 (10) San Antonio (6-5) 23 14 (17) Charleston (6-5) 23 15 (9) New York (6-5) 21 16 (18) New Orleans (6-5) 12 17 (14) Denver (6-5) 3 18 (15) Memphis (6-5) 2 19 (19) Boston (5-6) -11 20 (20) Cleveland (5-6) -23 21 (22) Albany (5-6) -25 22 (21) Chicago (4-7) -30 23 (25) Fargo (4-7) -33 24 (22) Huntington Beach (3-8) -57 25 (24) Arizona (3-7-1) -58 26 (26) Tulsa (3-8) -74 27 (27) Shreveport (2-8-1) -78 28 (30) Long Beach (2-8-1) -82 29 (28) Tampa Bay (2-9) -88 30 (29) Atlantic City (3-8) -94 31 (32) Las Vegas (2-9) -105 32 (31) Seattle (2-9) -107

An interesting note, Chicago, despite its upset win against then #1 Honolulu, still drops a spot in the rankings. They suffer from the fact that all teams ranked in front won as well.

Link to CFL post
Old 11-24-2004, 08:16 AM   #146
Pro Rookie

FFF team rankings - week 13

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is your latest installment of our weekly FFF team rankings!!!

Code:
Rank Prev. Team W-L record Points 1 (2) Honolulu (10-2) 115 2 (1) Tucson (9-2-1) 92 3 (4) Boise (9-3) 91 4 (3) Santa Cruz (9-3) 84 5 (8) Baltimore (8-4) 65 6 (5) Hartford (8-4) 60 7 (6) Durham (8-4) 57 8 (9) Anchorage (8-4) 53 9 (10) El Paso (8-4) 53 10 (12) Oregon (7-5) 42 11 (7) Detroit (8-4) 39 12 (14) Charleston (7-5) 35 13 (16) New Orleans (7-5) 24 14 (17) Denver (7-5) 23 15 (11) Sacramento (7-5) 14 16 (15) New York (6-6) 10 17 (13) San Antonio (6-6) 7 18 (19) Boston (6-6) 4 19 (20) Cleveland (6-6) -9 20 (21) Albany (6-6) -10 21 (22) Chicago (5-7) -12 22 (18) Memphis (6-6) -16 23 (23) Fargo (4-8) -46 24 (24) Huntington Beach (4-8) -47 25 (28) Long Beach (3-8-1) -70 26 (29) Tampa Bay (3-9) -71 27 (25) Arizona (3-8-1) -73 28 (27) Shreveport (2-9-1) -88 29 (26) Tulsa (3-9) -89 30 (30) Atlantic City (3-9) -104 31 (31) Las Vegas (2-10) -116 32 (32) Seattle (2-10) -116

Link to original post on CFL forum
Old 12-02-2004, 09:01 AM   #147
Pro Rookie

Exclamation FFF Team rankings - week 14

And what a close one this is!!!

Honolulu keeps its #1 ranking despite losing in Detroit. The Blue Pacific barely holds on to 1st place, and fights off surging Boise for a mere 4 decimal points...

Mover of the week: Memphis, up 6 spots. The Commish is back in da house! (j/k)

Downer of the week: Baltimore, down 5. Baltimore will continue to drop down those rankings as long as 3ric doesn't catch up his weekly reviews... (j/k #2)

And now, your rankings:

Code:
Rank Prev. week Team Record Points 1 (1) Honolulu (10-3) 111 2 (3) Boise (10-3) 111 3 (2) Tucson (10-2-1) 110 4 (4) Santa Cruz (10-3) 106 5 (7) Durham (9-4) 85 6 (6) Hartford (9-4) 82 7 (9) El Paso (9-4) 74 8 (10) Oregon (8-5) 68 9 (11) Detroit (9-4) 63 10 (5) Baltimore (8-5) 59 11 (12) Charleston (8-5) 56 12 (8) Anchorage (8-5) 48 13 (15) Sacramento (8-5) 44 14 (14) Denver (7-6) 18 15 (13) New Orleans (7-6) 17 16 (22) Memphis (7-6) 12 17 (17) San Antonio (6-7) 4 18 (16) New York (6-7) 2 19 (18) Boston (6-7) -3 20 (19) Cleveland (6-7) -13 21 (20) Albany (6-7) -13 22 (21) Chicago (5-8) -17 23 (24) Huntington Beach (5-8) -18 24 (23) Fargo (5-8) -20 25 (27) Arizona (4-8-1) -44 26 (29) Tulsa (4-9) -62 27 (26) Tampa Bay (3-10) -72 28 (25) Long Beach (3-9-1) -75 29 (31) Las Vegas (3-10) -87 30 (28) Shreveport (2-10-1) -88 31 (30) Atlantic City (3-10) -106 32 (32) Seattle (2-11) -119

Best ideal score : 181 points
Worst possible score: -180 points

Link to CFL thread
Old 12-02-2004, 09:06 AM   #148
wade moore
lolzcat

Keep up the good work FFF!

Quote:
Old 12-02-2004, 10:49 AM   #149
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Keep up the good work FFF!
Tampa Bay 3-10?
Wow, I'd never, ever expected to see the Torpedoes do so much worse than my Merchantmen at these points in time in the respective leagues.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:00 PM   #150
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Tampa Bay 3-10?
Wow, I'd never, ever expected to see the Torpedoes do so much worse than my Merchantmen at these points in time in the respective leagues.

No kidding... I wish I had not slacked on my dynasty this season, but having the board down for half of it threw a kink in things.. I intend to revive it when we go into the off-season...

But honestly... I can't find a reason for it.. my defense has not been as dominant as it should, Alvey has been terrible, and the line is just woeful...

Quote: