Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2004, 11:33 PM   #1
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Iowa Barnstormers 2009: It's All About the Benjamins

Dynasty Overview

The purpose of the Iowa City Barnstormers Dynasty is to tell a compelling and intriguing story using EA Sports Front Office Football (FOF2) as the backdrop. The stats are real, the story is not.

To catch up on the story so far, go to the following links:

Iowa Barnstormers Prologue
Iowa Barnstormers 2003: Thunder in the Sky
Iowa Barnstormers 2004: A New Threat
Iowa Barnstormers 2005: Compromised
Iowa Barnstormers 2006: Quality Control
Iowa Barnstormers 2007: The Unexpected Hitchhiker
Iowa Barnstormers 2008: On the Trail of a Killer

House Rules (Updated 3/12/04!)

I employ a fairly rigorous set of "house rules" (no real NFL players, no franchise tag, must maintain a 53-man roster, no renegotiating, can't make trade proposals except during the draft, trades must pass "fairness test", auto-sign rookies). During the 20-step free agent period, I may negotiate with any player who was on my team the previous season without restriction. As for free agents who did not play on my team the previous season, I may sign up to three of them during the 20-step process, but only one in the first 10 rounds. After the 20-step free agency period, I can only sign undrafted rookie free agents and players who were on my roster the previous season. All contracts signed outside of the 20-step process must be for exactly what the player asks, or for one year. Last, all multi-year deals must include a signing bonus equal to the highest year of the contract, unless I accept the player’s initial offer.

Grid Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:04 PM   #2
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Just a quick note to readers of the Iowa Barnstormers Dynasty:

Sorry about the long delay. I expect to get back to writing this weekend and next week!

Thanks for reading!
Old 04-24-2004, 06:22 AM   #3
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Thanks for the head-up, I was starting to have Barnstormers withdrawal...
Old 04-24-2004, 04:14 PM   #4
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Close call!

Would-be presidential assassin shot, killed by FBI agent

January 1, 2009

Cambridge, MA (AP) – President-elect Gordon Smith survived an assassination attempt during a speaking engagement at MIT yesterday, said FBI Director Harold Ridge. "Acting on information obtained from a year-long investigation, we determined that someone would make an attempt on the life of President Smith," said Ridge. "Fortunately, our highly trained agents were able to prevent a tragedy."

According to Ridge, FBI Special Agent Tom Coleman killed the would-be assassin with four gunshots just as he was preparing to shoot at President Smith from a balcony in Kresge Auditorium. "Showing tremendous intelligence, agent Coleman ordered that the lights in the auditorium be shut down to put the killer in the dark," Ridge explained. "Using night-vision goggles, agent Coleman was then able to approach the suspect unseen and neutralize the threat."

Ridge declined to comment on the identity of the assassin as the FBI's investigation is continuing.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:18 PM   #5
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

To: [email protected]
Date: January 1, 2009
Subject: An Unfortunate Turn of Events

The Firefly has been extinguished.

Initiate contingency protocol.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 04-24-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:15 PM   #6
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Aikman Inducted into Hall

QB led Dallas to three Super Bowl victories

January 10, 2009

Canton, OH (AP) – Today, quarterback Troy Aikman was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The award was presented to him by fellow Hall of Famer and former teammate Emmitt Smith. “Troy is a very gifted athlete,” said Smith in front of the cheering crowd. “However, he is most deserving of this honor because of his tremendous integrity and character.”

“Thank you to all the fans,” said Aikman, who is an NFL commentator for Fox Sports. “My entire career has been a dream.” Aikman, the first overall pick in the 1989 draft out of UCLA, played all of his 16 seasons with the Dallas Cowboys. In that span, he made playoffs 11 times and won three Super Bowls. He finished his career with 44,989 passing yards, 250 touchdowns and 174 interceptions. His best seasons came in 2001, when he threw for 3,969 yards, 30 touchdowns and just seven interceptions.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:56 AM   #7
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Grid,

Your dynasties read so well I actually wanted to let a few seasons build up so I could spend a morning with them all at once. Great stuff!
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:49 PM   #8
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WussGawd
Your dynasties read so well I actually wanted to let a few seasons build up so I could spend a morning with them all at once. Great stuff!

Thanks for the compliment, and I'm glad you enjoy it!

Back to the action. . .

Last edited by Grid Iron : 04-26-2004 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:01 PM   #9
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Date: January 10, 2009
Subject: Dr. Livingston Investigation

Two things I want to keep you posted on:

1. The body of Troy Davidson is currently in transit to FBI Forensics in DC for an autopsy.

2. The bank account receipt we found in Davidson's room belongs to a financial institution in Odesa, Ukraine. Do we have anyone over there that could help us to "discretely" obtain the account information? I want to know ASAP who paid this guy. . .
Old 04-26-2004, 08:01 PM   #10
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Fans Catch Break

Barnstormers limit price increase to club, luxury seats

January 11, 2009

Iowa City, IA (Ticker) – Despite coming off a fourth consecutive playoff appearance and losing $16.6 million last season, the Barnstormers decided to leave most ticket prices the same for the 2009 season. “Our team should be doing better than just getting to the playoffs—we should be going deeper into the postseason,” said team owner Ben Cleveland. “We wanted to give something back to the fans, so we’re not going to increase most of our ticket prices this year."

Cleveland said that the only price hikes will be to club seats and luxury boxes, both of which will increase 5%. “We’re still below the average of our two closest competitors, Chicago and St. Louis,” Cleveland added.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:11 PM   #11
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

FBI forensics lab burns!

Body of would-be presidential assassin destroyed by fire

January 12, 2009

Washington, DC (AP) – FBI Director Harold Ridge announced today that a raging fire destroyed the agency's forensics lab in Washington DC last night. "I have been advised that the fire was accidental, and no evidence of arson was found," said Ridge. "Fortunately, no one was hurt."

Ridge explained that an electrical short ignited a leaking oxygen tank in the lower levels. The fire quickly spread throughout the building, destroying the entire lab. Ironically, the short circuit occurred in the fire suppression system, which resulted in the failure of the sprinklers to douse the flames.

Among the remnants of the fire was the body of the would-be presidential assassin who attempted to take the life of President Gordon Smith at MIT last New Year's Eve. "Unfortunately, we won't be able to conduct an autopsy on the suspect, as it has been burned beyond recognition," Ridge said. "He was literally turned to ashes."

The FBI has refused to identify the suspect, stating that it would "compromise an ongoing investigation."
Old 04-26-2004, 08:12 PM   #12
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Date: January 13, 2009
Subject: An Unfortunate Turn of Events

Well done. . . Very well done.

Nice and clean. . .
Old 04-27-2004, 09:01 PM   #13
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Sorry, guys. I'm in trial for the week. The Dynasty should return next week.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:35 AM   #14
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Grid,

I just had to pop in and give this thread its much justified five-star rating.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:34 PM   #15
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic
Grid,

I just had to pop in and give this thread its much justified five-star rating.

Awesome! Thanks, dude!

I'm looking forward to getting started again next week!

Last edited by Grid Iron : 04-29-2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:55 PM   #16
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Roman Wedding!

Iowa QB signs $59.65 million deal

March 20, 2009

Iowa City, IA (Ticker) – Iowa Barnstormers GM Grid Iron announced today that the team has reached a deal with its starting quarterback Roman Roberts. Roberts, an unrestricted free agent, signed a four-year $59.65 million pact yesterday. “Our primary goal is, of course, to win a championship and re-signing Roman is the first step,” said Iron.

Despite coming off a season in which he started only eight games due to a broken jaw, Roberts landed the biggest contract in this year’s free agency period. The deal also included a $12.5 million bonus.

The first overall pick in the 2003 draft out of Temple, Roberts has averaged 2,847 passing yards and 289 rushing yards per season. He has also scored 117 touchdowns (100 pass, 17 rush) while throwing only 52 interceptions, and was named All-League Second Team in 2006 and 2007.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:59 PM   #17
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Date: March 22, 2009
Subject: Dr. Livingston Investigation

I spoke with a friend of mine over at CIA. He said he has an excellent contact in Odesa, Ukraine. Her cover name is Alexandra Romanov.

She should be able to obtain the transaction data from the account belonging to Troy Davidson from the bank there.

She will contact you shortly . . .
Old 05-01-2004, 06:33 PM   #18
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Iowa cuts defensive end

Brock Darlington becomes cap casualty

April 5, 2009

New York, NY (Ticker) – To get under the NFL’s $133.4 million salary cap, the Iowa Barnstormers cut defensive end Brock Darlington today, GM Grid Iron announced. According to Iron, the move will save the team $7.33 million in cap space this year. “Brock is one of the premiere defensive ends in the game,” said Iron. “Unfortunately, we need the money to fill other roster spots.” Iron added that several other cuts are in store.

Darlington has been outstanding since signing with Iowa as a free agent in 2004. Drafted by Dallas in the second round out of Penn State in 2002, Brock had 51 sacks and six fumble recoveries in five seasons with the Barnstormers. Last year, he set a career-high with 13.0 sacks.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-02-2004 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:35 PM   #19
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Date: April 15, 2009
Subject: Greetings from Odesa!

Hello! A friend of mine said you were looking for some information about the wonderful financial institutions here in Odesa!

Please let me know how I can be of assistance!

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-02-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:28 AM   #20
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Big Mac Attack!

Barnstormers draft Texas wide receiver

April 26, 2009

New York, NY (Ticker) – With the 24th selection in the 2009 NFL draft, the Iowa Barnstormers chose Texas wide receiver Matthew McGregor. “Matthew is a big-play receiver with great speed and solid hands,” said GM Grid Iron. “He’s definitely All-League material.”

The 6’0”, 195 pound McGregor led Texas with 1,523 receiving yards last season and scored 15 touchdowns. He was named Second Team All-American and All-Big 12 Conference. “I’m very excited about playing for Iowa,” said McGregor, who was the sixth wide receiver selected in the draft. “I’m so confident in my abilities that if they give me a chance, I can win a starting spot this season.”

McGregor is expected to sign a four-year $15.7 million deal that includes a $5.5 million signing bonus.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-04-2004 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:38 AM   #21
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Date: April 27, 2009

I received the information you provided. Let me give you some background information on the Bank of Odesa, which has the account you are interested in.

The bank was established in 1820, making it the oldest in Odesa and one of the oldest in Ukraine. In 1945, however, the Ukrainian Mafia took over the bank's ownership to launder money earned from illegal activities. The KGB often called upon the mafia to assist them with special "unauthorized" operations during the Cold War.

Today, it is still controlled by the mafia, which has grown significantly in power since the fall of the Soviet Union.

The mafia is rich and sophisticated, so it will be difficult to obtain the information you seek. I will report back to you in a few months when I learn more.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-02-2004 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:48 PM   #22
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Man, you think the russian spies could use something better then yahoo for email
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:34 AM   #23
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid Iron
The 6’0”, 195 pound McGregor led Texas with 1,523 receiving yards last season and scored 15 touchdowns. He was named Second All-American and All-Big 12 Conference.

You left out the part about him being the only player in history to be named Holiday Bowl MVP for four consecutive years.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:26 PM   #24
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Man, you think the russian spies could use something better then yahoo for email

What do you expect? It's got the best spam guard on the net!
Old 05-05-2004, 12:02 AM   #25
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

2009 Season Preview

Season could be coach’s last

August 15, 2009

Iowa City, IA (ESPN) – Despite what head coach Travis O’Donnell says, the pressure is definitely on. Iowa’s NFL franchise has made the playoffs each of the last five seasons, but never made it to the AFC Championship. The team has one of the best young quarterbacks in the league, but has never won a division title. To top it off, the team finished with a perfect 4-0 exhibition season record, further raising the expectations of fans and management alike.

“I thrive in pressure situations,” said O’Donnell, who joined the team in 2003 after coaching the Hawkeyes to a 21-17 Rose Bowl victory over UCLA. “We’ve got the players to win a championship, no doubt about it.”

One key to O’Donnell’s future may very well be quarterback Roman Roberts, who played only eight games last season due to injury and signed a lucrative $59.65 million deal in the offseason. The first overall pick in the 2003 draft out of Temple will need to stay healthy if the Barnstormers are going to make the playoffs, let alone a Super Bowl.

Helping Roberts on offense will be rookie wide receiver Matthew McGregor, the team’s first-round pick (24th overall) out of Texas. McGregor, who scored 15 touchdowns with the Longhorns last season, will start at split end opposite Jorge Ellison who was the 24th pick in the 2006 draft.

The defense will be challenged this year with the departure of defensive end Brock Darlington due to salary cap constraints. Nonetheless, middle linebacker Bob Robinson is just scratching the surface of his ability, recording 129 tackles (99 solo) last season along with 5.0 sacks.

Iowa’s schedule is truly daunting as the team will play only five games against teams that finished last season with a losing record. Fortunately, the AFC West is expected to be relatively weak as most of the teams lost significant players and none added any marquee free agents. Here is the complete Barnstormers schedule:

Week 1 New England Patriots
Week 2 Atlanta Falcons
Week 3 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
Week 4 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
Week 5 OPEN
Week 6 San Diego Chargers
Week 7 DENVER BRONCOS
Week 8 OAKLAND RAIDERS
Week 9 NEW JERSEY JETS
Week 10 Kansas City Chiefs
Week 11 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
Week 12 BALTIMORE RAVENS
Week 13 San Francisco 49ers
Week 14 Seattle Seahawks
Week 15 Denver Broncos
Week 16 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
Week 17 Oakland Raiders
Old 05-05-2004, 12:04 AM   #26
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic
You left out the part about him being the only player in history to be named Holiday Bowl MVP for four consecutive years.

He's a true winner, ain't he?
Old 05-05-2004, 12:54 AM   #27
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Date: August 17, 2009

I just got hired by the Bank of Odesa. I'm just a teller, but I will have limited access to account information.

I will report back when I have found the account data you are looking for.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:42 AM   #28
Pro Rookie

That is truly a tough schedule. That final 4 game stretch against all division rivals will be make or break time...

GO BARNSTORMERS !
Old 05-05-2004, 05:18 PM   #29
Ragone
Pro Rookie

heh Tom colemans file should be flooding with netsky virus's and emails from nigerian princes now that he's been emailed by someone at yahoo
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:52 PM   #30
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Date: 18 Aug 2009

DEAR TOM,

I ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF YOUR EMAIL IN RESPECT OF YOUR INTEREST AND WILLINGNESS TO ASSIST US AND PLAY A FACILITATING ROLE IN THE EXECUTION OF THIS MUTUALLY BENEFICIAL TRANSACTION.

MY COLLEAGUES AND I ARE TOP LEVEL OFFICIALS AND WE HAVE USED OUR OFFICIAL POSITIONS TO OVER INVOICE BUDGETARY ALLOCATIONS IN THE SUM US$25.5 MILLION.WE WOULD HAVE EFFECTED THIS TRANSFER OURSELVES, BUT OUR CIVIL SERVICE CODE OF ETHICS PREVENTS US FROM OPERATING FOREIGN ACCOUNTS.THIS EXPLAINS WHY WE HAVE TO COLLABORATE WITH A RELIABLE FOREIGN PARTNER IN THE EXECUTION OF THIS TRANSACTION.THESE FUNDS ARE NOT UNDER OUR DIRECT CONTROL, CONSEQUENTLY CERTAIN STATUTORY REQUIREMENTS WOULD HAVE TO BE FUFILLED BEFORE THE FUNDS CAN BE TRANSFERRED INTO THE DESIGNATED BANK ACCOUNT OF OUR FOREIGN FACILITATOR.

TO PROCEED I WOULD WANT YOU PROVIDE ME WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

THE NAME, ADDRESS, TELEPHONE AND FAX NUMBER OF THE COMPANY YOU WOULD PREFER TO USE FOR THIS TRANSACTION.

THE ABOVE INFORMATION WOULD BE USED TO PROCESS THE NECESSARY DOCUMENTS AND OFFICIAL APPROVALS THAT WOULD FACILITATE THE TRANSFER OF THE FUNDS INTO THE DESIGNATED BANK ACCOUNT OF A RELIABLE FOREIGN PARTNER.IT WOULD ALSO BE SLOTTED IN THE FEDERAL MINISTRY OF FINANCE (F.M.F) SCHEDULE OF TELEX TRANSFER PAYMENTS APPROVED FOR THE FOURTH FISCAL QUARTER OF THE YEAR 2009.

I WANT YOU TO CALL ME ON MY TEL NUMBER 234-1-7760658 IMMEDIATELY YOU RECEIVE MY EMAIL TO FACILITATE MORE DETAILED DISCUSSIONS ON THE PROPOSED TRANSACTION.

I WOULD BE EXPECTING YOUR CALL.

BEST REGARDS.

RAGONE.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:21 PM   #31
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

NFL Weeks 1-4

Week 1: Barnstormers (0-0) (-5) at Patriots (0-0) (-4)

Roman Roberts orchestrated a 63-yard scoring drive that ended in a six-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Jorge Ellison with :35 on the clock to lift the Barnstormers over the Patriots, 34-31.

Week 2: Barnstormers (1-0) (-5) at Falcons (0-1)

Roman Roberts was 16 of 22 for 214 yards, 2 TD, and 0 INT as the Barnstormers cruised to a 44-16 victory over the Falcons.

Week 3: Barnstormers (2-0) (-8) vs. Saints (1-1)

New Orleans quarterback Glen Foley was 26 of 34 for 315 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions as the reigning NFC Champs beat the Barnstormers 34-28.

Week 4: Barnstormers (2-1) vs Chiefs (1-2)

Defensive end Stephen Bonham recorded 4.0 sacks and running back Friendship Lofton scored on an 84-yard run as the Barnstormers beat the Chiefs 24-7.

1/4 Season Review

At 3-1, the Barnstormers are in first place and have the highest scoring offense in the league, averaging 32.5 points per game. Wide receiver Jorge Ellison leads the league with 26 catches and 416 yards receiving.

AFC West           W   L   T   Pct   PF    PA    Div     Conf  
Iowa City 3 1 0 .750 130 88 1-0-0 2-0-0
Denver 3 1 0 .750 87 83 2-1-0 3-1-0
Seattle 2 1 0 .667 62 71 2-0-0 2-0-0
Oakland 1 3 0 .250 60 82 1-1-0 1-1-0
Kansas City 1 3 0 .250 73 85 0-2-0 1-3-0
San Diego 1 3 0 .250 51 63 0-2-0 0-3-0
Old 05-05-2004, 11:30 PM   #32
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Date: September 15, 2009

Bad news. The account you are looking for is contained in a high-security database. My access level won't let me see the information.

However, I think I have a plan. . .
Old 05-06-2004, 08:53 AM   #33
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

NFL Weeks 5-9

Week 5: Bye

The team’s bye week came along at the right time, allowing several players to recover from nagging injuries.

Week 6: Barnstormers (3-1) (-3) at Chargers (1-4)

San Diego outscored Iowa 9-0 in the fourth quarter to post a 28-22 victory.

Week 7: Barnstormers (3-2) (-7) vs. Broncos (4-2)

Denver running back Antoine Kolodzik rushed for 155 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Broncos to a 30-10 victory over the Barnstormers.

Week 8: Barnstormers (3-3) (-9) vs. Raiders (2-4)

Iowa running back Friendship Lofton rushed for 154 yards and a touchdown as the Barnstormers snapped a two-game losing streak with a 20-10 victory over the Raiders.

Week 9: Barnstormers (4-3) (-9) vs. Jets (1-6)

Iowa QB Roman Roberts connected with fourth-string wide receiver Louie Benson for a 57-yard touchdown pass with :33 on the clock, lifting the Barnstormers to a 34-31 victory over the Jets.

2/4 Season Review

At 5-3, the Barnstormers are just one game out of first place behind the Denver Broncos (6-2). Unfortunately, the team’s top wide receiver Jorge Ellison suffered a hip pointer in Week 9 and will miss the rest of the season. He will finish the year with 41 catches for 626 yards and four touchdowns in eight games.

Denver 6 2 0 .750 196 147 5-1-0 6-2-0
Iowa City 5 3 0 .625 216 187 2-2-0 4-2-0
San Diego 4 5 0 .444 145 174 2-3-0 3-4-0
Oakland 3 5 0 .375 120 164 2-2-0 3-3-0
Kansas City 3 5 0 .375 161 173 1-4-0 2-5-0
Seattle 3 5 0 .375 138 183 2-2-0 3-3-0
Old 05-06-2004, 08:56 AM   #34
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Date: October 9, 2009

Great news! A man who maintains the computer database has a crush on me, thanks to my expert flirtation.

Hopefully, I can extract information from him as to how the high-security accounts can be accessed.

I will keep you posted.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-06-2004 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:56 AM   #35
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

I think I'm a little jealous! :o
Old 05-06-2004, 08:58 AM   #36
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Tom, you know you're the only one for me.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:49 PM   #37
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

NFL Weeks 10-13

Week 10: Barnstormers (5-3) at Chiefs (3-5) (-3)

Iowa kicker Jim Lane missed the game-tying field goal from 41 yards out with :46 on the clock as the Chiefs rallied late to edge the Barnstormers 20-17.

Week 11: Barnstormers (5-4) (-5) at Seahawks (4-5)

Iowa quarterback Roman Roberts scored four touchdowns (3 pass, 1 rush) and didn’t throw an interception as the Barnstormers beat the Seahawks 38-24.

Week 12: Barnstormers (6-4) (E) vs. Ravens (5-5)

Missing both starting safeties due to injury, Iowa’s secondary was ripped for 366 passing yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions as the Ravens destroyed the Barnstormers 34-21.

Week 13: Barnstormers (6-5) at 49ers (7-4) (-8)

Quarterback Roman Roberts completed only 9 of 22 for 86 yards, 0 TD and 0 INT, as the 49ers beat the Barnstormers 27-12.

3/4 Season Review

The Barnstormers went 1-3, dropping them into a tie for second at 6-6 with the Raiders and Chargers. Although the team’s playoff prospects look grim, anything can happen as the team’s final four games are against division rivals. Iowa plays road games at Seattle and Denver, takes on San Diego at home, and then finishes the regular season at Oakland.

Both of Iowa’s starting safeties were injured in Week 11 and will miss the remainder of the regular season. Free safety Gilbert Coady suffered shoulder tendonitis, while strong safety Bubba Boyer has a sprained neck.

Denver 7 5 0 .583 242 244 5-3-0 7-4-0
Kansas City 7 5 0 .583 245 239 4-4-0 5-5-0
Oakland 6 6 0 .500 206 224 4-3-0 5-4-0
San Diego 6 6 0 .500 220 219 4-4-0 5-5-0
Iowa City 6 6 0 .500 304 292 3-3-0 5-4-0
Seattle 4 8 0 .333 216 278 2-5-0 3-6-0
Old 05-06-2004, 08:59 PM   #38
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Date: November 2, 2009

This was so easy. I flirted with the MIS guy a few times, invited him out for a drink, and he couldn't stop telling me about the great security system at the bank.

According to him, all the data for the bank's "top secret" accounts is contained on a server in the lower vault. He said the computer is protected by a very sophisticated security system, designed by CIG Technology in Kiev.

He doesn't have the passwords, but if CIG still has the software code on its computers, I might be able to bypass the security measures. I'm going to Kiev to check it out. . .
Old 05-07-2004, 09:10 AM   #39
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

NFL Weeks 14-17

Week 14: Barnstormers (6-6) at Seahawks (4-8) (-4)

Friendship Lofton rushed 10 times for 113 yards and the Barnstormers over came two Roman Roberts interceptions as Iowa beat Seattle 20-14.

The victory put Iowa in a five-way tie for first at 7-6 with Denver, Kansas City, Oakland and San Diego.

Week 15: Barnstormers (7-6) at Broncos (7-6) (-1)

Iowa tight end Freddie Morris caught an 8-yard touchdown pass from Roman Roberts with 1:04 left in regulation as the Barnstormers edged the Broncos 23-21.

The victory, coupled with losses by Kansas City and San Diego, put Iowa in a tie for first with Oakland.

Week 16: Barnstormers (8-6) (-2) vs. Chargers (7-7)

San Diego outscored Iowa 28-3 in the second half enroute to a 35-24 victory over the Barnstormers.

The loss dropped Iowa into a 3-way tie for second place with Denver and San Diego. Oakland leads the division with a 9-6 record.

Week 17: Barnstormers (8-7) at Raiders (9-6) (-3)

Roman Roberts scored the game-winning touchdown on a one-yard run with 8:34 left in the game as the Barnstormers edged the Raiders 21-17.

4/4 Season Review

Incredibly, the Barnstormers won the AFC West and earned a first-round bye with a meager 9-7 record! Is a Super Bowl in Iowa’s future? Only time will tell. . .

Here are the final regular season standings (playoff teams in bold):

AFC East                W   L   T   Pct   PF    PA    Div     Conf  
Indianapolis 9 7 0 .563 341 296 5-3-0 6-6-0
New England 9 7 0 .563 393 284 4-4-0 7-5-0
Miami 8 8 0 .500 313 292 4-4-0 6-6-0
Buffalo 8 8 0 .500 369 344 4-4-0 5-7-0
New Jersey 6 10 0 .375 315 382 3-5-0 3-9-0

AFC Central W L T Pct PF PA Div Conf
Cincinnati 11 5 0 .688 336 303 8-2-0 9-3-0
Baltimore 10 6 0 .625 345 259 5-5-0 8-5-0
Pittsburgh 9 7 0 .563 302 283 5-5-0 6-6-0
Jacksonville 8 8 0 .500 271 283 4-6-0 7-6-0
Tennessee 8 8 0 .500 321 294 4-6-0 6-7-0
Cleveland 7 9 0 .438 261 301 4-5-0 5-8-0

AFC West W L T Pct PF PA Div Conf
Iowa City 9 7 0 .563 392 379 6-4-0 8-5-0
Oakland 9 7 0 .563 287 302 6-4-0 7-5-0
Denver 8 8 0 .500 316 337 6-4-0 8-5-0
San Diego 8 8 0 .500 312 306 5-5-0 6-6-0
Kansas City 8 8 0 .500 331 329 5-5-0 6-7-0
Seattle 4 12 0 .250 268 382 2-8-0 3-10-0

NFC East W L T Pct PF PA Div Conf
Washington 10 6 0 .625 284 225 7-1-0 9-3-0
New York 9 7 0 .563 288 320 3-5-0 7-5-0
Arizona 8 8 0 .500 369 315 4-4-0 6-6-0
Philadelphia 6 10 0 .375 293 338 4-4-0 4-8-0
Dallas 5 11 0 .313 166 331 2-6-0 4-8-0

NFC Central W L T Pct PF PA Div Conf
Chicago 10 6 0 .625 312 319 7-1-0 8-4-0
Detroit 7 9 0 .438 314 291 3-5-0 5-7-0
Tampa Bay 6 10 0 .375 302 331 4-4-0 4-8-0
Green Bay 6 10 0 .375 334 330 3-5-0 6-6-0
Minnesota 6 10 0 .375 296 361 3-5-0 5-7-0

NFC West W L T Pct PF PA Div Conf
St. Louis 12 4 0 .750 389 240 7-1-0 9-3-0
San Francisco 9 7 0 .563 308 271 4-4-0 7-5-0
Carolina 9 7 0 .563 379 376 3-5-0 5-7-0
Atlanta 8 8 0 .500 352 372 3-5-0 6-6-0
New Orleans 6 10 0 .375 271 354 3-5-0 5-7-0
Old 05-07-2004, 11:02 AM   #40
Pro Rookie

Wow ! What a weird season !
I thought you were gonna cruise to a 12-4 season after that 3-1 start.
Then, I thought you were not gonna make the playoffs at all when you were 6-6...

That first round bye can make a whole lot of difference in the playoffs...

Could this finally be the year ?
(keeps fingers crossed)

Last edited by fantastic flying froggies : 05-07-2004 at 11:02 AM.
fantastic flying froggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:41 PM   #41
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies
Wow ! What a weird season !
I thought you were gonna cruise to a 12-4 season after that 3-1 start.
Then, I thought you were not gonna make the playoffs at all when you were 6-6...

I felt the same way. It's truly amazing that a 9-7 record not only wins the division, but clinches a first round bye!

I'm crossing my fingers too. . .
Old 05-08-2004, 09:49 AM   #42
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Date: December 2, 2009

CIG Technology has extremely tight security. It's not going to be easy getting in there to steal the encryption code for the bank's security system.

However, I have a friend that works in Kiev who gave me a very unorthodox idea that just might work. . .
Old 05-08-2004, 10:09 AM   #43
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Sky’s the Limit!

Barnstormers advance to first AFC Championship game

Colts (9-8)13
Barnstormers (10-7)29

December 14, 2009

Iowa City, IA (Ticker) – Iowa’s rookie wide receiver Matthew McGregor caught nine passes for 178 yards and the defense allowed only one yard rushing as the Barnstormers cruised to a 29-13 victory over the Indianapolis Colts.

“This is very exciting,” said kicker Jim Lane, who made all five of his field goals, including a 55-yarder and two 49-yarders. “These guys always seems to reach deep down for something extra and pull out the victory when it matters most.”

Incredibly, the game wasn’t nearly as close as the final score. Iowa jumped out to a 7-0 lead early in the first on an 18-yard touchdown run by Friendship Lofton. Just over five minutes later, Roman Roberts connected with McGregor for a 62-yard touchdown pass to put the home team up 14-0. Lane nailed three field goals in the second quarter, and Iowa had built a 23-0 lead by halftime. Indy would claw back with six points in the third and seven in the fourth, but the Iowa defense was simply too much for them on this day.

“I think this team was ready to take it to the next level,” said coach Tim O’Donnell, whose team had made the playoffs for the previous five years and never made it to the AFC Championship. “I think we’re going to prove that we’re one of the best teams in the league.”
Box Score: Indianapolis Colts at Iowa City Barnstormers.  

Attendance: 60,000 (66,700), No-Shows: 500.

Weather: 23 degrees, snow.

1Q: 11:15 IAC - Friendship Lofton 18 run.
1Q: 11:15 IAC - Jim Lane extra point.
1Q: 06:20 IAC - Matthew McGregor 62 pass from Roman Roberts.
1Q: 06:20 IAC - Jim Lane extra point.
2Q: 07:13 IAC - Jim Lane 55 field goal.
2Q: 01:56 IAC - Jim Lane 30 field goal.
2Q: 00:00 IAC - Jim Lane 49 field goal.
3Q: 11:54 IND - Anthony Parker 55 interception return.
3Q: 11:54 IND - Clay Sweeney run for conversion failed.
4Q: 14:55 IAC - Jim Lane 49 field goal.
4Q: 14:29 IND - E.G. Green 75 pass from Peyton Manning.
4Q: 14:29 IND - Emmitt Clark extra point.
4Q: 01:54 IAC - Jim Lane 37 field goal.

Game MVP: IAC 84 Matthew McGregor

Indianapolis 0 0 6 7 - 13
Iowa City 14 9 0 6 - 29

Team Statistics IND IAC

First Downs 10 22

Rushes 13 36
Rushing Yards 1 131
Yards Per Carry 0.0 3.6

Pass Attempts 36 39
Completions 12 23
Passing Yards 226 342
Yards Per Attempt 6.2 8.7
Sacked 6 0
Yards Lost 37 0
Net Passing Yards 189 342

Interceptions 2 1
Fumbles/Lost 4/1 0/0

Total Plays 55 75
Total Yards 190 473
Yards Per Play 3.4 6.3

3rd Down Plays 3/14 5/16

Penalties 6 21
Penalty Yards 40 162

Time Of Possession 22:45 37:15

Indianapolis Colts Individual Statistics

Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD
32 Sweeney 10 -1 -0.1 8 0
84 Green 2 1 0.5 4 0
39 Shepherd 1 1 1.0 1 0

Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int
18 Manning 36 12 226 6.2 75 1 2

Receiving Catch Yards Avg Long TD
89 Owens 5 97 19.4 32 0
85 Halama 3 26 8.6 13 0
84 Green 2 88 44.0 75 1
81 Tucker 2 15 7.5 8 0

Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD
83 Gibson 4 17 4.2 0

Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD
83 Gibson 4 100 25.0 0
20 Stargell 1 26 26.0 0

Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20
17 Smith 9 396 44.0 50 2

Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att
1 Clark 0 0 0 1 1

Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD
53 Connell 17 4 0.0 0 0 0
54 Bayne 7 2 0.0 0 0 0
43 Klinghagen 7 1 0.0 0 0 0
59 Kennicott 6 4 0.0 0 0 0
48 Parker 6 2 0.0 1 55 1
44 Rice 4 2 0.0 0 0 0
90 Neill 3 1 0.0 0 0 0
35 Bishop 3 0 0.0 0 0 0
92 Bauer 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
89 Owens 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
97 Peter 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
94 Wayne 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
25 Williams 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
39 Shepherd 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
55 Connors 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
72 Stevenson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
61 Gunn 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
95 Hoard 0 1 0.0 0 0 0
24 Tate 0 1 0.0 0 0 0

Miscellaneous Fumb Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd
61 Gunn 0 1 0 0 1
72 Stevenson 0 0 0 0 1
55 Connors 0 0 0 0 1
63 Hastings 0 0 0 1 3
18 Manning 3 2 0 0 0
32 Sweeney 1 0 0 0 0

Iowa City Barnstormers Individual Statistics

22 Lofton 15 62 4.1 21 1
40 Springer 9 12 1.3 8 0
37 Pochman 7 17 2.4 8 0
7 Roberts 5 40 8.0 12 0

7 Roberts 39 23 342 8.7 62 1 1

84 McGregor 9 178 19.7 62 1
87 Morris 4 52 13.0 29 0
88 Ellison 4 47 11.7 14 0
40 Springer 4 44 11.0 19 0
80 Berkhofer 2 21 10.5 13 0

89 Syms 3 21 7.0 0

31 Hudson 1 29 29.0 0
89 Syms 1 27 27.0 0

15 Levine 7 310 44.2 54 2

16 Lane 5 5 55 2 2

59 Grier 7 0 0.0 1 0 0
29 Boyer 5 1 0.0 0 0 0
42 Shepherd 4 0 0.5 0 0 0
21 Coady 2 0 0.0 0 0 0
97 Clancy 1 1 1.0 0 0 0
50 Bonham 1 0 0.5 0 0 0
60 Adams 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
57 Loudon 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
70 Morton 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
71 Duffy 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
96 Elliott 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
88 Ellison 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
55 Robinson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
45 Michels 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
99 Sonntag 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
46 Bironas 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
37 Pochman 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
89 Syms 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
58 Holliday 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
94 Brown 0 1 3.5 0 0 0
47 Legge 0 0 0.5 0 0 0
20 Bartoszewicz 0 0 0.0 1 0 0
92 Wynn 0 1 0.0 0 0 0

60 Adams 0 0 0 6 0
76 Woody 0 0 0 2 0
70 Morton 0 0 0 1 0
55 Robinson 0 1 0 0 0
Old 05-08-2004, 12:10 PM   #44
Pro Rookie

Indy total rushing yards : 1.

That has got to be a new playoff record !!!! Wow !

(I just checked my current league, and the team playoff game record is 26 yds)

(ps : technically, their YPC should be 0.1, and not 0.0... )
Old 05-08-2004, 12:12 PM   #45
Pro Rookie

Oh, and Grid, TWENTY ONE PENALTIES ??? WTF ???
Old 05-08-2004, 02:23 PM   #46
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies
Oh, and Grid, TWENTY ONE PENALTIES ??? WTF ???

That's definitely annoying. It doesn't surprise me, however, since Iowa is third in the league in penalty yards. Ugh.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:44 AM   #47
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Ukrainian Tech Firm Burns!

Cause of fire still unknown, possibly arson

December 15, 2009

Kiev, Ukraine (AP) – The offices of CIG Technology in Kiev we consumed by a raging fire last night, Fire Department Chief Igor Imski announced at a press conference. "We have extinguished the blaze and our investigators are examining the remains for the cause," Imski said. Imski explained that the fire began at approximately 1:20 a.m. and spread quickly throughout the facility. Because the building's fire suppression system failed to work, Imski stated that he is considering the possibility that the fire was set intentionally.

Shares of CIG Technology, one of the world's leading manufacturers of computer security software, were down $3.15 on the NASDAQ in early trading.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:49 AM   #48
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Date: December 17, 2009

My friend in the Kiev fire department brought me a "souvenir" yesterday from the remains of CIG Technology's burned out offices. Lucky for me, he's an arson investigator in charged of collecting evidence.

I've checked the hard drive of my "souvenir" and it has the encryption data I'll need to get into the bank's high security server.

However, I can't undertake an operation like this alone, and I've got virtually no tactical support here.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-09-2004 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:54 AM   #49
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Super Bowl Bound!

Barnstormers win AFC Championship with 9-7 nailbiter

Ravens (12-7)7
Barnstormers (11-7)9

December 21, 2009

Iowa City, IA (Ticker) – On a snowy day with temperatures in the mid 20s, the Iowa defense allowed just 165 total yards and kicker Jim Lane nailed the game-winning field goal in blizzard-like conditions from 41 yards out with :22 on the clock as the Barnstormers clinched their first AFC Championship with a 9-7 victory over the Baltimore Ravens.

“We finally did it,” said head coach Travis O’Donnell, who many believed would be fired at the end of the season if the team didn’t make the Super Bowl. “I had faith in my boys, and they did one helluva job.”

Trailing 7-6 with 5:19 on the clock and pinned at their own 13-yard line, the Barnstormers began what will be remembered as one of the greatest game-winning drives in franchise history. It all started when Friendship Lofton ran for 20 yards on two carries. Two plays later, a Baltimore defensive holding penalty on third-and-10 gave the Barnstormers new life and a first down at the Iowa 38.

On third-and-four, Roberts completed an eight-yard pass to Jorge Ellison, and then hit Ellison again for a 12-yard completion to put Iowa just inside Lane’s field goal range at the Baltimore 36. After a six-yard run by Roberts and a nine-yard dash by Lofton, the Barnstormers were in control at the Ravens’ 21. Iowa would get to the Baltimore 14, but a five-yard loss on a run and a false start put the team back at the 24. That didn’t faze Jim Lane, however, whose kick cleared the crossbar with a foot to spare.

“I thrive on pressure situations,” said Lane, who is 8-for-8 in two playoff games. “Any time, any where—if the team can get me inside the 40, we have a great chance to win.”

Next week, Iowa will host the wild-card San Francisco 49ers (12-7), who defeated the Washington Redskins by a score of 16-10 in the NFC Championship.

Box Score: Baltimore Ravens at Iowa City Barnstormers.  

Attendance: 60,000 (66,700), No-Shows: 0.

Weather: 26 degrees, snow.

1Q: 00:36 IAC - Jim Lane 39 field goal.
2Q: 10:48 IAC - Jim Lane 39 field goal.
2Q: 04:55 BAL - Pat Johnson 5 pass from Alan Talley.
2Q: 04:55 BAL - Trent Garner extra point.
4Q: 00:22 IAC - Jim Lane 41 field goal.

Game MVP: IAC 50 Stephen Bonham

Baltimore 0 7 0 0 - 7
Iowa City 3 3 0 3 - 9

Team Statistics BAL IAC

First Downs 15 15

Rushes 29 32
Rushing Yards 72 125
Yards Per Carry 2.4 3.9

Pass Attempts 26 28
Completions 11 15
Passing Yards 119 131
Yards Per Attempt 4.5 4.6
Sacked 4 6
Yards Lost 26 44
Net Passing Yards 93 87

Interceptions 0 0
Fumbles/Lost 1/0 0/0

Total Plays 59 66
Total Yards 165 212
Yards Per Play 2.7 3.2

3rd Down Plays 3/14 5/16

Penalties 6 16
Penalty Yards 46 143

Time Of Possession 26:41 33:19

Baltimore Ravens Individual Statistics

41 Ikuma 18 46 2.5 13 0
45 Shannon 7 11 1.5 9 0
12 Talley 3 12 4.0 6 0
85 Johnson 1 3 3.0 3 0

12 Talley 26 11 119 4.5 23 1 0

80 Temmer 3 31 10.3 13 0
81 Jones 2 29 14.5 15 0
89 Grant 2 39 19.5 23 0
85 Johnson 1 5 5.0 5 1
41 Ikuma 1 3 3.0 3 0
45 Shannon 1 4 4.0 4 0
82 Irving 1 8 8.0 8 0

44 Bailey 3 30 10.0 0

41 Ikuma 1 18 18.0 0

18 Everett 10 380 38.0 45 2

11 Garner 0 0 0 1 1

58 Boulware 10 3 1.0 0 0 0
94 Lyon 6 2 1.0 0 0 0
50 Saleh 6 2 0.0 0 0 0
44 Bailey 6 1 0.0 0 0 0
51 Colson 6 0 0.0 0 0 0
97 Leverson 4 0 1.5 0 0 0
30 Lassner 3 2 0.0 0 0 0
96 Bruce 2 0 1.5 0 0 0
46 Milloy 2 3 0.0 0 0 0
75 Ogden 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
89 Grant 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
82 Irving 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
54 Gunn 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
42 Branch 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
49 Mallon 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
95 Sanderson 0 0 0.5 0 0 0
21 Paul 0 0 0.5 0 0 0
20 Ameche 0 2 0.0 0 0 0

63 Tyler 0 0 0 1 1
52 Castroll 0 0 0 3 0
68 Davidson 0 0 0 0 1
64 Kuberski 0 0 0 1 1
75 Ogden 0 1 0 3 1
12 Talley 1 0 0 0 0

Iowa City Barnstormers Individual Statistics

22 Lofton 10 41 4.1 13 0
40 Springer 10 29 2.9 8 0
7 Roberts 7 43 6.1 7 0
37 Pochman 3 -2 -0.6 2 0
85 Randle 1 6 6.0 6 0
84 McGregor 1 8 8.0 8 0

7 Roberts 28 15 131 4.6 15 0 0

88 Ellison 4 33 8.2 12 0
84 McGregor 4 34 8.5 13 0
87 Morris 3 24 8.0 9 0
22 Lofton 2 18 9.0 10 0
40 Springer 2 22 11.0 15 0

89 Syms 2 23 11.5 0

31 Hudson 1 18 18.0 0
89 Syms 1 16 16.0 0

15 Levine 8 337 42.1 50 2

16 Lane 3 3 41 0 0

93 Manderscheid 7 1 0.0 0 0 0
55 Robinson 6 4 1.0 0 0 0
21 Coady 5 1 0.0 0 0 0
30 Murphy 4 2 0.0 0 0 0
52 Nord 3 0 0.0 0 0 0
42 Shepherd 3 0 0.0 0 0 0
50 Bonham 2 1 3.0 0 0 0
97 Clancy 2 4 0.0 0 0 0
94 Brown 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
20 Bartoszewicz 2 1 0.0 0 0 0
53 Elias 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
92 Wynn 1 1 0.0 0 0 0
87 Morris 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
47 Legge 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
57 Loudon 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
46 Bironas 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
84 McGregor 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
59 Grier 0 1 0.0 0 0 0

70 Morton 0 0 0 0 4
57 Loudon 0 0 0 4 2
71 Duffy 0 0 0 3 0
60 Adams 0 0 0 2 0
61 Penn 0 0 0 1 0
40 Springer 0 0 0 1 0

Last edited by Grid Iron : 05-09-2004 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:51 AM   #50
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Date: December 22, 2009
Subject: Operation Show Me the Money

We're going to conduct the operation on New Year's Eve.

We need you to get into the secure server, download the account data, transmit the data to us, and get out without being noticed.

Sounds easy, right? I'm coing out along with a full team of support personnel. CIA, FBI and even U.S. Military.

See you in a few days.