Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-15-2004, 04:37 PM   #1
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Rewind Dynasty - The New York Jets 2003 Dynasty

During the NFL off-season in 2003, I watched my hometown team, the New York Jets continue to make moves that made little or no sense to me and wondered what I would have done differently if I were in Terry Bradway and Herman Edward’s position?

So, I have gone back into the real player files and made some adjustments. It was interesting to see that some different personnel decisions would have affected many teams. In my dynasty I will take over following the 2002 season. I will tell you all about the changes that were made and how, in preparation for the 2003 season.

mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:38 PM   #2
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets Win the AFC East!!!!!

QB leads Jets to AFC East-clinching win vs. Packers
Posted: Sunday December 29, 2002 7:30 PM
Updated: Monday December 30, 2002 1:51 AM

In the final four weeks of the regular season, Chad Pennington threw nine touchdowns without an interception. Al Bello/Getty Images
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Had the New York Jets' fans broken into chants of "P-A-T-S," it wouldn't have been a shock.
In this wackiest of NFL seasons, the defending Super Bowl champions gave the Jets hope for the playoffs, and Chad Pennington made it reality.
New England had beaten Miami in overtime, and then it was the J-E-T-S' turn. Behind Pennington's four touchdown passes, they routed Green Bay 42-17 Sunday to win the AFC East. What Curtis Martin called a sinking ship two months ago is sailing into the NFL playoffs.
"This is the best moment of my career," Martin said. "We've been through so much, we were at the bottom of not only the division, but this league. We were becoming the laughingstock of the NFL. And to win the division, I tip my hat off to this team."
Not only did the Jets surge back from a 1-4 start, they knocked both their saviors, the Patriots, and the Dolphins from contention. New York (9-7) hosts Indianapolis next Saturday afternoon.
"We have a chance to be special and make history," said Pennington, who took over for Vinny Testaverde in Week 5 and went 8-4 as the starter. "We're playing pretty good football now, and the scary thing is, we can be even better."

The Packers (12-4) blew a chance for home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs; Philadelphia owns that. Green Bay even lost its first-round bye and will face Atlanta next Saturday night -- yes, at night -- in Lambeau Field.
"We can't make excuses," said Brett Favre, who went to the bench with 14 minutes remaining after Sam Garnes returned an interception 65 yards. "We knew what was at stake."
To win only their second NFL division title, the Jets needed several things to break their way. The Patriots took care of the biggest item, and Pennington did much of the rest.
The rout was far less dramatic than the New York Giants' 10-7 overtime victory over Philadelphia on the same field Saturday -- thanks greatly to the third-year quarterback.
Pennington had touchdown passes of 18 and 12 yards to Wayne Chrebet, who has gone from goat after a late fumble in a loss to Chicago to the hero. He has a career-high nine TDs this season.

"Today it was Wayne's turn, and he made some tremendous plays, especially after he caught the football," Pennington said.
Pennington also had a 1-yarder to Richie Anderson and a 13-yarder to Santana Moss. Martin ran for a 5-yard score, as well.
Whenever threatened by Green Bay, the spunky Jets responded. The Packers finished the first half with a touchdown drive that was vintage Favre, but the Jets moved 60 yards in six plays with the second-half kickoff, ending with Martin's touchdown run.
LaMont Jordan added a late 3-yard touchdown run.
Martin finished with 83 yards Sunday and 1,094 for the year, his eighth straight over 1,000.
Pennington, the AFC's most efficient passer, had a 134.7 rating for the game as the Jets beat Green Bay for the sixth straight time.
"He did not try to overdo things. He did not try to compete with Brett Favre," said head coach Herman Edwards, now 2-for-2 in getting the Jets into the postseason. "All he needed to do was be Chad Pennington, and that is good enough."
Green Bay's secondary struggled without injured Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper. Several Jets receivers were wide open, including Anderson on his 1-yard pass for a 7-0 lead early in the second quarter.
That capped an 84-yard drive, including a 43-yard pass from Pennington to Laveranues Coles that was typical of how the Jets have taken off on offense behind Pennington.
The Packers got a 23-yard field goal from Ryan Longwell before the Jets made it 14-3 on Chrebet's first score.
But Green Bay closed to 14-10 at halftime on a 76-yard drive that took 95 seconds. Hanging tough in a collapsing pocket, Favre hit Terry Glenn for 21 yards, then rookie Javon Walker for 23 on fourth-and-10. Favre's bullet pass to the corner of the end zone hit Glenn perfectly with 5 seconds left in the half.
New York barely flinched.
"We showed what we are made of as a team," Pennington said. "We're still hungry."
Old 03-15-2004, 04:47 PM   #3
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Bradway Wants Extension

January 13, 2003
Hempstead, New York

Following the Jets lost to the Raiders in the divisional round of the playoffs Sunday, Bradway has asked owner Woody Johnson for an extension. General Manager Terry Bradway is about to enter the last season of his contract and would like to security to know that he is in a long term position with the Jets.

Bradway has been the Jets GM for two seasons now, following the departure of Bill Parcells and Al Groh. Bradway is responsible for hiring Edwards and keeping the pieces in place to be in the playoffs the past two seasons.

Some executives around the league have questioned how Bradway has handled the draft. For example trading up to get Santana Moss in 2001, and the first round selection of Defensive End, Bryan Thomas in 2002, despite the fact that the Jets have Shaun Ellis and John Abraham.

It is believed that Bradway is looking for a 5 year deal.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Super Bowl XXXVII Tampa Bay 48, Oakland 21

Qualcomm StadiumSan Diego, CaliforniaJanuary 26, 2003Attendance: 67,603MVP: Dexter Jackson, FS, Tampa Bay
Super Bowl XXXVII Boxscore | Super Bowl XXXVII Ticket and Ring

Jon Gruden celebrates as his Buccaneers wrap up a Super Bowl title in his first season in Tampa Bay.(AP)
The Buccaneers' defense intercepted five passes, three of which were returned for touchdowns, and recorded five sacks as Tampa Bay scored 34 unanswered points en route to its first Super Bowl victory.
Charles Woodson intercepted Brad Johnson three plays into the game to give Oakland the ball at the Buccaneers' 36. But Simeon Rice sacked Rich Gannon on third down to force the Raiders to settle for Sebastian Janikowski's 40-yard field goal.
On their next nine possessions, the Raiders registered just two first downs and did not run a play inside the Buccaneers' 40 as Tampa Bay scored the next 34 points. The Buccaneers answered Janikowski's field goal with Martin Gramatica's 31-yard boot to tie the game.
An interception by Dexter Jackson set up Gramatica's go-ahead field goal early in the second quarter. Midway through the second quarter, a 25-yard punt return by Karl Williams and a 19-yard run by Michael Pittman led to Mike Alstott's 2-yard touchdown run.
Late in the half, the Buccaneers drove 77 yards, aided by three defensive penalties and pass receptions of 16 and 12 yards by Alstott, to set up Brad Johnson's 5-yard touchdown pass to Keenan McCardell with 30 seconds left in the half, which gave Tampa Bay a 20-3 lead.
With their first possession of the second half, the Buccaneers put together a 14-play, 89-yard drive that consumed 7:52 and was culminated by Johnson's 8-yard scoring toss to McCardell. Two plays later, Dwight Smith intercepted Gannon's pass and returned it 44 yards for a touchdown and a 34-3 lead with 4:47 left in the third quarter. Tampa Bay scored four touchdowns in a span of 16:37.
Jerry Porter's 39-yard touchdown catch in the back of the end zone made it 34-9. Less than three minutes later, Tim Johnson blocked Tom Tupa's punt. Eric Johnson caught the ball and dove into the end zone for a touchdown to cut the deficit to 34-15 with 14:16 remaining.
The Buccaneers drove deep downfield again, but Tupa mishandled the snap for a field-goal attempt, allowing the Raiders to regain possession. Gannon hit Jerry Rice with a 48-yard touchdown pass with 6:06 left to trim the lead to 34-21.
A 9-yard pass by Johnson to Alstott on third-and-7 allowed Tampa Bay to take another two minutes off the clock before Tupa punted with 2:44 remaining.
On third-and-18 from the Raiders' 29, Derrick Brooks intercepted Gannon's pass and raced 44 yards down the left sideline for a touchdown with 1:18 remaining to give Tampa Bay a commanding 41-21 lead. Smith intercepted a tipped pass and returned it 50 yards for a touchdown with two seconds left to finish the scoring.
Johnson was 18 of 34 for 215 yards and two touchdowns, with one interception. Pittman had 29 carries for 124 yards. Gannon was 24 of 44 for 272 yards and two touchdowns, with a Super Bowl record five interceptions.
Jackson, who had the first two interceptions, one of which led to the go-ahead field goal, was named the game's most valuable player.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:54 PM   #5
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Johnson Says “No Deal”

February 3, 2003

Owner Woody Johnson has told Terry Bradway’s agent, no deal. After a couple weeks of negotiations Johnson has ended talks stating that there will be no extension offered to Bradway at this time.

Sources have said that Bradway has made some calls looking to get out of his contract and pursue other offers.

Last edited by mmarra82 : 03-15-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:00 PM   #6
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Bradway Wants Out

February 9, 2003

Jets’ General Manager, Terry Bradway, yesterday ask to be let out of his contract. In the past month Bradway, has asked for an extension. In a stunning turn of events, Johnson denied him, and Bradway says he would like out of his contract. Perhaps others when hearing the news have contacted Bradway, and he would like to pursue other offers.

It is believed that Johnson will oblige Bradway’s request, and yet once again the Jets will be looking to assemble a new front office or simply appoint Edwards the position, something that would be a huge undertaking for a two-year coach. Edwards could not be reached for comment.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:33 AM   #7
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Bradway Released

Terry Bradway Released!!

February 10, 2003

The New York Jets have announced a press conference for this afternoon, where it will be announced that the Jets and Terry Bradway will part ways. It is believed that the Jets have already interviewed Player Personnel Executive, Michael Marra for the General Manager position. Marra has been with the Jets organization since 1998 during the Parcells' era. Marra joined the Jets in 1998, as a scout and has worked his way through the organization to his current position that he was appointed to in 2001 under Bradway.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:40 AM   #8
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Edwards Expresses Discontent

February 11, 2003

Coach Herman Edwards first comments regarding the movement in the Jets' front office can be said to be non-supportive. Edwards questioned the Jets position in loyalty towards its employees. Edwards who has three years left in his contract has been an advid supporter of Bradway, and the personnel moves he has made.

Edwards led the Jets to two consecutive playoff appearances in his first two seasons, and a regular season record of 19-13, and 1-2 in the playoffs. Edwards came over from the Buccanears, and is considered responsible for creating one of the strongest Defenses in the league during the past decade. However, the Jets D has struggled in Edwards two seasons here, as his system has yet to be fully implemented due to the fact that Defensive Coordinator, Teddy Cottrell believes the team should be running an aggressive 3-4 D. Under Parcells and Groh the Jets used a 3-4 D, that was aggressive and created using a lot of current personnel.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:47 AM   #9
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets Press Conference

Friday, February 14, 2003

Hempstead, New York

Owner Woody Johnson announced his new General Manager, Michael Marra. Under Johnson the team has now gone through Groh and Bradway in just three years under Johnson's ownership. Johnson stated that he looks at the young Marra to lead his team for many years. It is believed that Johnson signed Marra to a five-year deal, what Bradway was looking for.

Marra stated that his first order of business was to meet with Coach Herman Edwards, who has expressed discontent about the change, and to evaluate personnel.

The team must address some player issues, the signing of Coles, Thomas, and Chad Morton were mentioned as key issues. Along with the decisions of some veterans, particularly Vinny Testaverde who lost his starting job to Pennington and LB's Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones. The team will also look at what to do in the up and coming draft as well as free agency that begins March 3rd.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:58 AM   #10
mmarra82
High School Varsity

SAME OL' JETS

Whenever things seem to be looking up for our beloved Jets, someone pulls the rug out from under us. The Jets looked to be heading in the right direction, only to have a squabble over money paint another dark cloud over the Jets Facility. Woody Johnson asked for a contract extension, and was shown the door, what's next?

The Jets have been searching for stability for years now, and it never seems to find them. Parcells was brough in to bring stability, and he did succeed. However, his two successors were gone in just one season (see Belichek in New England, and Groh in Virginia). Bradway and Edwards were brought in as the new regime, and Bradway is now gone, and it appears Edwards will be out as well. Maybe owner Woody Johnson needed to go back to the Parcells roots, promoting Michael Marra to GM, or perhaps maybe the team has shown yet again why it continues to douse the hopes of Jet fans.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:00 PM   #11
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Edwards Fired!!!

February 16, 2003- As expected Edwards was fired along with Bradway after a dispute of how things are being done in the Front Office. The Jets are now the only team without a head coach at a critical moment of the season. The Scouting Combines begin in two days, and it appears that Marra will be heading to them without a coach.

The Jets are scheduling a press conference for later this afternoon.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:12 PM   #12
mmarra82
High School Varsity

EDWARDS PRESS COFERENCE

As expected the Jets officially announced that Herman Edwards is no longer coach of the New York Jets.

Johnson opened up with the following statement, "At this time the New York Jets are saddened to announce that Herman Edwards will no longer be coaching the New York Jets. Herm grew frustrated with the way our front office changed and expressed his discontent to me. I asked Herman if he could see himself working through the situation, and he surprisingly informed me that he couldn't based on the current situation. With the change in the front office I informed Herm that we could not discuss negotiations this season, because I wanted to allow the new General Manager time to evaluate our situation. Understandably I could see why Herm grew disatified, he wanted to sign an extension to secure his future with the organization and that option just is not there right now. As tough as it is to let go of a coach after the success he has brought to the organization in just two short years, we will find a qualified replacement."

Last edited by mmarra82 : 03-21-2004 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:12 AM   #13
StanGunner
Mascot

I hate the Jets but I like your story so far. Keep it going.
StanGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:59 AM   #14
mmarra82
High School Varsity

UPDATE

I am in the process of working the Real Player files in the CSV format. I have just finished changing some players draft positions, I have change the ratings for the rookies being drafted.

I changed the player ratings for the rookies being drafted using the following strategy.

I went and researched via internet the 2003 mock drafts and player ratings from various sites.

Then using these player rankings, the players were then compiled into the top 250 players that were drafted in 2003.

Using Jim's percentages for player ratings, these players were then adjusted accordingly. For example, Anquan Boldin was not rated that high in many of the pre draft writeups so he was assigned a player rating of 2. Carson Palmer was the only player who was rated a 9.

I attempted to keep team's 2003 draft decisions and player needs accordingly, afterall this is who these teams wanted. So, I tried to keep them there. I did add Henson to the player's file, and you will have to wait and see where he went, and to who.

Along with the draft I am working on all my decisions of how I want to handle the Jets' 2003 off-season. Decisions such as, keep Testaverde and or Mo Lewis or not. I have decided if I release a player, I will attempt to add their cap hit to my team. I figure the best way to do this would be to disperse there cap hit over a few players to keep my cap number high. I know that it is not the most accurate way, however, it is the only way I think I can do it.

I am also, researching available free agents in 2003. I know that last season the Jets needed to upgrade their Safety position, and did nothing to do so. I am not evaluation these players based on the player's ratings in the file, but based on the realistic performance and what they signed for. Once again, I do not feel it is realistic to look at the player's rating in the file. In the event I move Testaverde and Mo Lewis, I will have them signed with another team who was in need of filling that position.

Also, I know Manning was playing the last year of his contract for 2003, I am extending his contract. It seems that the Computer AI has let him become a free agent and he signed with another team, I feel that Manning would never be let go.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:36 AM   #15
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets Expected to Name Head Coach

Later today, it is expected that the New York Jets will announce the hiring of its fourth coach in four seasons (Belichek, Groh, Edwards).

General Manager, Michael Marra has been working around the clock evaluating possible replacements as well as team personnel to prepare for the up and coming free agency period. The Jets have many issues to address and to add a change in the front office, and coaching staff only complicates matters.

The Jets are forced to deal with prominent Unrestricted Free Agents, OG Randy Thomas, K John Hall, and FB Richie Anderson. As well as Restricted Free Agents WR Laverneus Coles, and KR Chad Morton. GM Marra has already offered tender offers to Coles and Morton. In the event a team offers Coles a deal and the Jets do not match they would receive a 1st and 3rd round draft choice as compensation. They have tendered an offer to Morton that would bring them a 5th rounder.

Stay tune...
Old 03-31-2004, 07:57 PM   #16
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets Hire a Coach!

Jets Hire Ed McGregor of Michigan

February 24, 2003

The Jets have concluded a weeks worth of interviews and have hired Ed McGregor formerly of Michigan. It is believed the job came down to McGregor and Phillip Fulmner of Tennessee. It was believed that McGregor was at the top of Marra and Johnson’s list, they just needed to work out some of the details. The contract is believed to be in the area of $8 million over 3 seasons.
The Jets interviewed Michigan Head Football Coach, Ed McGregor three days ago, and the Jets were sure they had found their man, however Ed McGregor needed a couple of days to make his final decision. Ed McGregor contacted owner Woody Johnson late last night and informed his that he was excited about the opportunity to come to New York and coach the Jets. Johnson then got in touch with Marra, who was set to interview some assistants. Marra promptly canceled all appointments to prepare the stage for Ed McGregor.
Ed McGregor has led the University of Michigan to a bowl game in every season at the helm, and claimed the Big Ten title three of the past six seasons (1997, 1998, 2000). He became the first Wolverine coach to win four straight bowl games, beating Auburn 31-28 on New Year's Day at the 2001 Florida Citrus Bowl, after leading U-M to victories in the 1998 Rose, 1999 Citrus, and 2000 Orange Bowls.
McGregor led the 2002 team to Michigan's 28th consecutive bowl appearance; a 38-30 win over Florida in the Outback Bowl. The Wolverines compiled a 10-3 overall record and went 6-2 in the Big Ten. The finished the season ranked 9th in the AP poll.
McGregor 's 2001 squad posted an 8-4 overall mark and finished 6-2 in the conference. Highlights included handing Penn State its first home shutout in Joe Paterno's 36 year coaching career, registering a 20-0 victory in Happy Valley, and defeating eventual Big Ten champion Illinois 45-20.
During the 2000 campaign, his squad claimed a share of the school's 40th conference crown with a thrilling 38-26 victory over Ohio State in Columbus. The Wolverines posted a 9-3 overall record, with all three losses coming by a total of seven points. Michigan finished the year with a No. 10-ranking in the USA/ Today/ESPN poll and No. 1-ranking in the Associated Press poll after beating Auburn in the Florida Citrus Bowl.
McGregor led Michigan to a 10-2 record in 1999, including an exciting 35-34 overtime win against Alabama in the FedEx Orange Bowl (fifth different bowl game that Michigan has participated in during Carr's five season's at the helm). The Wolverines finished No. 5 in both the Associated Press and USA Today/ESPN Coaches' polls and tied for second in the Big Ten Conference with a 6-2 record.
His 1998 Michigan squad rebounded from an 0-2 start to finish 10-3 and claim the program's 39th Big Ten Conference title. They capped the season with a 45-31 victory over 11th-ranked Arkansas in the CompUSA Florida Citrus Bowl to ensure their second straight 10-win season. McGregor led Michigan to eight consecutive wins and finished the year with victories in 10 of the last 11 games.
Michigan captured a Big Ten title and Rose Bowl victory behind the leadership of in his McGregor third season at the helm. McGregor and the Wolverines proved that excellence is a product of dedication, teamwork, and execution; the direct result of which was Michigan's first National Title in 49 years (1948 season).
McGregor, who reached 25 wins faster than any current Big Ten coach, became just the second Big Ten coach to post an undefeated regular season record in just his third year of head coaching (Joe Paterno went 10-0 in 1968 but was not affiliated with the conference at that time). He also wrote himself into the NCAA record books, becoming just the seventh coach in NCAA history to have reached 29 wins in just three seasons of coaching.
Prior to being elevated to head coach, McGregor said he thought he held the greatest assistant coaching job in the country, serving 15 years under Bo Schembechler (1980-89) and Gary Moeller 94). McGregor joined Schembechler's staff in 1980 as defensive secondary coach, became defensive coordinator for eight and then moved into the position of assistant head final five years before becoming head coach.
McGregor moved into one of the nation's best head coaching positions on May 16, 1995 when then Michigan Director of Athletic Director Joe Roberson named him as the interim head coach of the Wolverines following the resignation of Moeller. On November 13 1995 McGregor had the "interim" title removed. He is the 17th football coach in school history, but only the 10th since Fielding Yost made his debut in 1901.
McGregor began his U-M head coaching tenure in dramatic fashion as his first game against Virginia provided the biggest comeback in Michigan history. The Wolverines trailed 17-0 with less than 12 minutes remaining, but came back to win with a touchdown on the final play of the game for an 18-17 victory.
The 1995 regular season culminated in a 31-23 home win over second-ranked and undefeated Ohio State in one of the biggest triumphs in school history.
The Wolverines finished the 1996 season with an appearance in their 22nd consecutive bowl game and ranked number 20 in the national rankings. Highlights from McGregor 's second season included a road win against Colorado and home field victories against UCLA and arch-rival Michigan State. Michigan closed out the regular season with yet another win over an undefeated and second ranked Ohio State team, this time by a score of 13-9 at Ohio Stadium.
In 1997, McGregor put all the pieces together, posting the most impressive regular season campaign at U-M in more than 25 years. At the start of the season, coach McGregor not only faced a schedule rated as one of the toughest in NCAA Division I-A, but also had the task of deciding on a starting quarterback while having to replace three All-Americans, four starters on defense and three starters on the offensive line.
Under McGregor’s steady hand, Michigan remained consistent each week, en route to its first Big Ten title and Rose Bowl appearance in five seasons. With a 24-3 defeat of then No. 5 o in the first game of the season, Michigan flexed its defensive muscles, giving fans a sneak peek of what to expect all season long. Michigan remained perfect through its first three games, boosting McGregor 's September record to 10-0. Even with tough road contests against Michigan State, Penn State and Wisconsin , the Wolverines remained focused.
The Culmination of Michigan's 1997 regular season proved to most dramatic contest of them all, with Michigan defeat No. 4 Ohio State 20-14 in front of the largest crowd in Michigan Stadium history. With the victory, coach McGregor became just the third U-M coach to defeat Ohio State in each of his first three games, following coaching legends Fielding H. Yost and Crisler.
McGregor and his Michigan Wolverines reached the summit of their journey when they defeated No. 7 Washington State, 21-16, in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1. Two days later Michigan was named the Associated Press National Champions. A week later, the Wolverines, were awarded the MacArthur Bowl by the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame and the Grantland Rice Trophy by the Football Writers Association of America, given Annually to the nation's most outstanding football team.
McGregor 's leadership of the 1997 Wolverines earned him several national coaching honors, including the Walter Camp Football Foundation, American Football Coaches Association, Football News, Maxwell Football Club, Woody Hayes, and Paul "Bear" Bryant coach of the year awards. With the awards, McGregor became just the fourth Michigan coach to win coach of the year honors, behind Crisler (1947), Bennie Oosterbaan (1948) and Bo Schembechler (1969).

Last edited by mmarra82 : 09-25-2004 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:14 PM   #17
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets Fill Staff

Jets Fill Out Staff

March 1, 2003

The Jets’ new coach Ed McGregor finished putting his staff together this week. The team has hired Fred Coffey as the team’s Offensive Coordinator and Arnie Hanrahan as the team’s Defensive Coordinator.

McGregor brought with him from Michigan Hanrahan who was the Wolverines Defensive Coordinator for the past six years. Hanrahan also has NFL experience as a Defensive Backs Coach with Denver (1995-1996), and Washington’s Defensive Backs Coach from (1992-1994).

Coffey was with the Jets the past three years and remains one of two holdovers from Edward’s staff. Coffey was the team’s quarterback coach and McGregor feels that Coffey’s relationship with Pennington is one that should continue.

The organization also promoted Daryl Whiting from Assistant Supervisor of Scouting Personnel to the organization’s Head Scout.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:37 PM   #18
mmarra82
High School Varsity

NFL Mock Draft

Mock NFL Draft

1. Cincinnati Bengals: Jimmy Kennedy, DT, Penn State
Defensive-minded Bengals HC Marvin Lewis will attempt to build Cincinnati back to respectability with a stingy defense and the power running of RB Corey Dillon.
Needs: DT, CB, QB, OT, LB, WR
Options: The Bengals have been using USC QB Carson Palmer as trade bait, but they haven’t found the right deal yet. They cannot trade down too far or they’ll miss out on Kennedy or Kansas State CB Terence Newman, whom the team has already spoken to about contract expectations.

2. Detroit Lions: Charles Rogers, WR, Michigan State
The Lions have many needs, but Michigan State WR Charles Rogers, who has size and speed, is too good to pass on, and he fills a major need. Rogers has been described as the only "can’t miss" prospect in this year’s draft. The team needs Rogers to reinvigorate a passing offense whose leading receivers were RB James Stewart (45 receptions) and WR Bill Schroeder (595 yards).
Needs: WR, CB, S, LB, RB, OL
Options: The Lions have already rejected at least one trade offer to move down that would have netted them the Washington Redskins’ No. 13 overall pick and starting CB Fred Smoot. Still, you have to wonder if the Lions didn’t have to move that far down in the first round, they might be inclined to move down slightly and "settle" for Kansas State CB Terence Newman or Miami WR Andre Johnson.

3. Houston Texans: Jordan Gross, OT, Utah

The Texans gave up 76 sacks last year. Texans QB David Carr can’t go through another season like that. Meanwhile, Utah OT Jordan Gross had an excellent showing at the NFL Combine. Gross was one of the few top prospects that participated in every drill at the NFL Combine. That ingratiated him with teams. Gross graded out extremely high in every test and is firmly regarded as the top lineman available.
Needs: OT, FS, DT, OLB, RB, WR
Options: The Texans may be able to trade down to get Gross, but not as far as once thought. That makes a move down a very tricky proposition. The team could draft Michigan State WR Charles Rogers (if available) or WR Andre Johnson, but then it still must find a way to keep Carr upright in order to get them the ball.

4. Chicago Bears: Carson Palmer, QB, USC
What if USC QB Carson Palmer dropped into the Bears’ lap. That’s right! They’ll take him, despite what Bears GM Jerry Angelo has been saying. The Bears must start developing a top-flight signal caller now, and their chances of trading up from their second round pick to snag California QB Kyle Boller, Marshall QB Byron Leftwich, or Florida QB Rex Grossman appear slim.
Needs: QB, DT, OLB, TE, RB
Options: If Palmer starts dropping, a team may trade up ahead of the Bears to draft him. In that case, the Bears will probably select the best defender on the board, even if he doesn’t fill a pressing need. Kansas State CB Terence Newman, Arizona State DE Terrell Suggs, and DT Jimmy Kennedy (if he’s available) all fall into this category. Meanwhile, the Bears would have to settle for Louisville QB Dave Ragone or possibly Texas QB Chris Simms in the second round.

5. Dallas Cowboys: Terrence Newman, CB, Kansas State
The Cowboys released CB Dwayne Goodrich given all his legal troubles stemming from a hit-and-run incident back in January. Dallas needs a top cover corner to pair with CB Derek Ross. Newman, who has good size, skills and sub 4.4 speed, is the top cover guy in this class and could be gone by the time the Cowboys select.
Needs: Needs: CB, OT, DE, LB, RB
Options: The Cowboys could select Arizona State DE Terrell Suggs, but he may be a bit too small for HC Bill Parcells’ taste. Still, Suggs would be a fine option and could be moved to outside linebacker. The team also has to address its offensive tackle situation, which could be weakened by free agent defections. If Dallas hasn’t solved its offensive tackle problem by the time they draft, Utah OT Jordan Gross could become a Cowboy.

6. Arizona Cardinals: Terrell Suggs, DE, Arizona State
The Cardinals have so many major needs that it is hard to determine where they will go with this pick. However, Suggs is the top pass rusher in the draft. He would provide instant pressure on opposing quarterbacks and help get the ball back for Arizona’s offense.
Needs: DE, CB, QB, WR, DT, LB
Options: The Cardinals chose not to tag either WR David Boston (knee injury, off-the-field problems) or QB Jake Plummer. Boston wants to remain with the Cardinals, so their wide receiver needs may not be as acute as initially thought. Still, Boston is a free agent, so anything goes meaning Miami WR Andre Johnson could be the selection here. At quarterback, the team could consider using a high draft choice to get a top signal caller. But they already have a year invested in 2002 3rd round draft pick QB Josh McCown, so bringing in a stop-gap veteran may make more sense depending on McCown’s progress. The Cardinals could trade down and acquire up more draft picks, but there doesn’t seem to be great interest in trading up to the No. 6 overall pick. Any trade involving this pick probably won’t happen until draft day (if at all) when other teams have a clearer picture of who’s available at this spot. Kansas State CB Terence Newman, who could be paired with veteran CB Duane Starks, is another possibility. A defensive tackle like Dewayne Robertson (Kentucky) or Kevin Williams (Oklahoma State) is another possibility. It’s sort of like building an expansion team, isn’t it?

7. Minnesota Vikings: Marcus Trufant, CB, Washington State
Vikings need an infusion of talent to stop the defensive bleeding. Trufant has good cover skills and ran in the 4.4-range at the NFL Combine.
Needs: CB, DT, DE, OL, LB
Options: The Vikings are looking to trade down, which makes sense since they could select a top 3 defensive tackle or possibly even Trufant if they don’t slide down too far since New England and Kansas City are looking for cornerback help.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: Andre Johnson, WR, Miami
New Jaguars HC Jack Del Rio must have the tools to live up to his promise of a "wide open offense." Jacksonville could take Johnson here and then concentrate on defense for the remainder of the draft.
Needs: WR, DE, LB, CB, SS, QB
Options: There’s been a lot of speculation that Andre Johnson may be selected before the No. 8 overall draft pick. If so, the Jaguars have major needs a most every defensive position (except at defensive tackle) and could be pleased to trade down, draft a defender, and pick up some extra picks along the way.

9. Carolina Panthers: Kyle Boller, QB, California
The Panthers desperately need a young quarterback, but Carolina OC Dan Henning indicated that he’s only excited about USC QB Carson Palmer. Is he bluffing?
Needs: QB, RB, WR, OT, TE
Options: The Panthers could trade down and hope California QB Kyle Boller, Marshall QB Byron Leftwich, and/or Florida QB Rex Grossman are still available. If these guys are available midway through the first round, look for teams to try and trade up to snag them. Although Leftwich checked out medically at the NFL Combine, he has become a real wildcard in the top half of the first round due to those leg injuries coupled with his lack of mobility. Stanford OT Kwame Harris or OG/OT Eric Steinbach could solve the team’s offensive tackle needs. If Utah OT Jordan Gross or Miami WR Andre Johnson is available, either could be the Panthers choice.

10. Baltimore Ravens: Byron Leftwich, QB, Marshall
The Ravens have a decision to make that was unexpected only a month ago. Do they draft an offensive tackle to shore up the right side of their line, or do they take one of the top quarterbacks in the draft?
Needs: ORT, DL, CB, QB, WR
Options: The Ravens need to come out of this draft with players who can at least challenge for starting positions at right offensive tackle, defensive tackle, defensive end, and cornerback. Leftwich is slipping as of late and could drop down team’s draft boards even more. Even though he checked out medically at the NFL Combine, his leg injuries coupled with his lack of mobility make him a risky selection.

11. Seattle Seahawks: Dewayne Robertson, DT, Kentucky
The Seahawks have needs across the defense, but drafting a replacement for aging DT John Randle would be a good place to start their overhaul.
Needs: DT, CB, DE, MLB
Options: With so many quality defensive tackles in this draft, the Seahawks may be tempted to select CB Marcus Trufant, if he is still available.

12. St. Louis Rams: Kwame Harris, OT, Stanford
The Rams must solve their right tackle problem after ORT John St. Clair rolled out the red carpet for opposing pass rushers last season.
Needs: ORT, CB, LB, WR
Options: The Rams absolutely have to draft an offensive right tackle, preferably with their first round pick. St. Louis quarterbacks were hammered last season, and the three top ones – Kurt Warner, Jamie Martin, and Marc Bulgar – all sustained injuries. Warner’s and Bulgar’s injuries ended their seasons. The Rams could easily select OG/OT Eric Steinbach, who could turn out to be a better football player. But Harris’ size and the fact that he was a tackle in college while Steinbach was a guard will likely sway the Rams in the end.

13. Washington Redskins: Talyor Jacobs, WR, Florida
The Redskins could really use some help at offensive guard, but HC Dan Sny… ahhh…I mean HC Steve Spurrier gets a speed receiver to start opposite WR Rod Gardner on his fantasy football team.
Needs: OG, WR, DT, DE, PK, P, QB
Options: The Redskins need the interior offensive line help that Iowa OG/OT Eric Steinbach, but they also need a speed receiver like Jacobs, who needs a strong individual workout to solidify his mid first round status. The Redskins have already tried to trade up, presumably to select Michigan State WR Charles Rogers or Miami WR Andre Johnson. Washington probably could trade down and get Jacobs, but they have to find a willing trade partner. Defensive tackle is also a possibility here with contract negotiations with DT Daryl Gardener and reserve DT Carl Powell stalled.

14. New England Patriots (from Buffalo): E.J. Henderson, MLB, Maryland
The Patriots are looking to get younger and faster on the defensive line, but they also need to improve their linebacking corps. Taking MLB E.J. Henderson here makes more sense than taking a defensive lineman, give the DL depth in this year’s draft. Henderson’s presence will allow current MLB Tedy Bruschi to move back to his more natural position of outside linebacker.
Needs: DE, DT, LB, CB, RB
Options: New England must get faster and younger on defense. Improving the defensive line is the team’s top priority, but the Patriots could stand to wait to take a defensive lineman with their No. 19 overall pick given the depth at this position in this year’s draft. If Iowa OG/OT Eric Steinbach is available, he may be too tempting to pass on. Same goes for Washington State CB Marcus Trufant if he’s still around. The Patriots need a running back, but with no sure fire first rounders available, they can afford to wait.

15. San Diego Chargers: Eric Steinbach, OG/OT, Iowa
The Chargers need an offensive tackle, and Steinbach, a guard at Iowa, proved that he could be an effective right tackle in the NFL.
Needs: OT, S, LB, DT, WR, CB
Options: The Chargers have many needs on defense, but their greatest need appears to be at offensive tackle. San Diego needs to upgrade from journeymen OLT Damion McIntosh and ORT Vaughn Parker. The team needs to get younger at safety and linebacker, but its too early to take a safety. MLB E.J. Henderson would make a good addition, but not as good as Iowa OG/OT Eric Steinbach.

16. Kansas City Chiefs: Jerome McDougle, DE, Miami
Without an available cornerback worthy of this pick, the Chiefs take the best defensive end available next to Arizona State DE Terrell Suggs.
Needs: DE, CB, QB, RB
Options: The Chiefs have indicated that they will fill their top two needs in different ways. Kansas City is looking at the free agent route to fill their need at defensive end and the draft to fill their need at cornerback. But you know what they say about "best laid plans." The Chiefs would love to take Washington State CB Marcus Trufant if he’s still on the board. But with Trufant’s excellent showing at the NFL Combine, he’s likely to be long gone. Oklahoma CB Andre Woolfolk’s poor showing during drills and lack of functional strength at the Combine makes him a risky pick here, but the Chiefs could take him and put him at the nickel position while they coach him up. Another option would be to select a quarterback, should one of the top two/three drop and the Chiefs think have nowhere else to go.

17. New Orleans Saints: William Joseph, DT, Miami
The Saints need to improve their secondary, but with Newman and Trufant off the board and Woolfolk a big risk, they opt to improve their defensive line. Joseph is versatile enough to be used at multiple spots along the line.
Needs: CB, MLB, S, DT, TE
Options: The Saints could take MLB E.J. Henderson or OLB Boss Bailey here, but the addition of a defensive tackle like Joseph can allow the team to have more athleticism at the position than they currently get from DT Norman Hand. The Saints could also try to trade up for CB Terence Newman or CB Marcus Trufant, or take a chance on Oklahoma CB Andre Woolfolk or FS/CB Rashean Mathis.

18. New Orleans Saints (from Miami): Rashean Mathis, FS/CB, Bethune-Cookman
The Saints have needs a young, strong, fast cornerback and safety. With Mathis, they have to flexibility to fill their greatest need in the secondary. Mathis has superior coverage skills for a free safety and could be used as a cornerback if the team so desires.
Needs: CB, MLB, S, DT, TE
Options: If the Saints want more speed at linebacker, OLB Boss Bailey could be the pick here. But speed in the secondary is also a big concern. Oklahoma CB Andre Woolfolk could be an option here, but his functional strength at the NFL Combine and his experience are in question.

19. New England Patriots: Kevin Williams, DT, Oklahoma State
The Patriots need another two-gap defensive tackle to pair with DT Richard Seymour. If New England decides to move to a 3-4, they’ll need a guy to eat up offensive linemen so the team has the flexibility to move Seymour to defensive end.
Needs: DE, DT, LB, CB, RB
Options: If the Patriots address their need on the defensive line with their No. 14 overall pick, then the Pats could look at Georgia OLB Boss Bailey or one of the cornerbacks here. A defensive end like Nebraska’s Chris Kelsey or Penn State’ Michael Haynes is a good possibility here as well. The Patriots could trade down and pick up Penn State RB Larry Johnson.

20. Denver Broncos: Chris Kelsay, DE, Nebraska
The Broncos need to improve their pass rush, and Kelsay’s college career coupled with his NFL Combine performance make him a good pick.
Needs: DE, QB, OT, DT
Options: The Broncos are reportedly looking to improve their quarterback situation in free agency and not with their first round pick. Still, one of the top quarterback prospects is an option here. The Broncos may secretly covet Cal QB Kyle Boller. Still, there is no questioning their need for a strong, fast pass rusher.

21. Cleveland Browns: George Foster, OT, Georgia

The Browns desperately need an offensive tackle, but there are some interesting possibilities available after the first round. Still, if Foster can come back 100 percent from his wrist injury, he presents the best upside and thus best option the Browns have a fixing their offensive line woes this season.
Needs: OT, OG, DE, CB, DT
Options: Improving the offensive line has to be the Browns’ top priority, but keep an eye on DE Courtney Brown’s recovery from microfracture surgery on this need. Brown wasn’t showing much aggressiveness before the injury, and he may be even less of a factor now. Thus, a defensive end like Penn State DE Michael Haynes, who pulled a quad at the NFL Combine and thus disappointed during workouts, could be selected here. The draft doesn’t appear likely to fall the way the Browns need it to, and thus they may have to trade up to get one of the top three offensive tackles (Steinbach can play tackle) or they may drop down in the first round (so long as they stand in front of the 49ers) and still select Foster or a cornerback.

22. New York Jets: Johnathan Sullivan, DT, Georgia
The Jets need to shore up their defensive line and selecting Sullivan would do just that.
Needs: DT, OL, LB, WR
Options: The Jets could easily draft Georgia OLB Boss Bailey here. New York might be forced to draft a linebacker high if they cannot get salary cap relief from their current set of veteran starters. In addition, LB Mo Lewis is 34 and the team, at the very least, needs to add some young, fast depth. The Jets need offensive line help, especially at guard, but they can help themselves there after the first round.

23. Atlanta Falcons: Kelley Washington, WR, Tennessee
There’s no doubt the Falcons needs a wide receiver. Washington possesses tremendous size and speed, but questions about his health could have the Falcons looking elsewhere.
Needs: WR, CB, FS, OG, DT
Options: If the Falcons cut a deal with the Bills for franchised WR Peerless Price, they probably will have to give Buffalo this pick as part of the compensation for Price. If the Falcons cannot obtain Price (or even free agent WR David Boston (Cardinals) for that matter) and are not interested in any of the wide receivers available at this spot, they could draft a cornerback, which is also a significant need. Raw Oklahoma CB Andre Woolfolk, Oregon State CB Dennis Weathersby, and Texas A&M CB Sammy Davis could all be interesting picks here.

24. Indianapolis Colts: Andre Woolfolk, CB, Oklahoma
The Colts need speedy, athletic performers on the defensive line and in the secondary.
Needs: DT, CB, S, OLB, OG, WR, TE
Options: Oklahoma CB Andre Woolfolk’s poor NFL Combine performance could force a few teams that really need a cornerback to pass on him. But Woolfolk has tremendous upside, so his fall may not be that great. The Colts really need defensive line help, but there is more depth in this draft at defensive line than at cornerback. Georgia OLB Boss Bailey, is, once again, another option.

25. New York Giants: Kenny Peterson, DT/DE, Ohio State
In Peterson, the Giants add a quality component to their defensive line who gives them some flexibility
Needs: DT, S, OT, LB, OG
Options: If the Giants are looking for a more traditional defensive end, they may opt to go with Penn State DE Michael Haynes. Bethune-Cookman FS/CB Rashean Mathis would be a nice addition if he’s still available. Ohio State S Mike Doss and USC S Troy Polamalu could also be considered, but one of them could probably obtained by trading down.

26. San Francisco 49ers: Rien Long, DT, Washington State
Defensive tackle is a sudden need with the release of DT Dana Stubblefield.
Needs: OT, DE, DT, CB, S, WR.
Options: The 49ers may select Georgia OT George Foster if he is available. Starting OT Derrick Deese was injured during part of 2002 while OT Scott Gragg is only a journeyman who played above himself last year. On defense, an end such as Penn State DE Michael Haynes is a real possibility here.

27. Pittsburgh Steelers: Sammy Davis, CB, Texas A&M
The Steelers need help in the secondary, both at cornerback and safety.
Needs: CB, S, QB, OT, TE, RB
Options: The Steelers could opt for Oregon State CB Dennis Weathersby, who possesses great size (6-0˝, 210), speed (4.37/40 at the Combine) and experience. But Davis (5-11, 186, 4.41/40 at the Combine) is more consistent, has better instincts, and is much more aggressive than Weathersby. With Kordell Stewart recently released and Charlie Batch a free agent, the Steelers are one more Tommy Maddox concussion away from having nothing at quarterback. Thus, Florida QB Rex Grossman is a possibility here. Offensive line may be a concern considering OLT Wayne Gandy’s expected free agent departure. The Steelers also must monitor the recovery of starting TE Mark Bruener (knee), who is reportedly recovering nicely from microfracture knee surgery so far.

28. Tennessee Titans: Vince Manuwai, OG, Hawaii
The Titans have needs in several places, with wide receiver topping the list, but the offensive line also needs help, which in turn, will help RB Eddie George.
Needs: WR, OG, RB, CB, DT
Options: The Titans need a speed wide receiver to start opposite WR Derrick Mason. However, the remaining wide receivers on the board would be a reach here. Manuwai showed good strength and quickness at the NFL Combine. Tennessee also has to find a consistent, reliable cornerback, who isn’t injury prone, to start opposite CB Samari Rolle.

29. Green Bay Packers: Rex Grossman, QB, Florida
The Packers are still eyeing Grossman, even though they had a lot of injuries on defense and at offensive tackle last year. They could go with a defensive lineman here, but look for them to cast an eye toward the future.
Needs: LB, OT, QB, DT, CB, PR
Options: The Packers have many needs on defense, which did not play as well as expected last season. Aging MLB Hardy Nickerson must be replaced and speed must be improved across the board. Meanwhile, the Packers will have to bring in some young talent at offensive tackle where starting offensive tackles Mark Tauscher (knee) and Chad Clifton (hip, knee) are coming off injuries.

30. Philadelphia Eagles: Michael Haynes, DE, Penn State
The Eagles need a defensive end to pressure the opposing quarterback either by retaining DE Hugh Douglas or by selecting one in the draft.
Needs: DE, TE, MLB, OLB, WR
Options: With DE Hugh Douglas unlikely to return due to free agency, the Eagles must replace him. Penn State DE Michael Haynes, Colorado DE/DT Tyler Brayton, or Louisville DE Dewayne White could fill the bill here. Starting TE Chad Lewis has had two disappointing seasons in a row and its time for a major upgrade. Tennessee TE Jason Witten and Iowa TE Dallas Clark are possibilities here.

31. Oakland Raiders: Jeff Faine, C, Notre Dame
The Raiders need a strong, dependable center to solidify their offensive line.
Needs: DE, C, RB, WR, S, CB
Options: Starting C Barrett Robbins’ troubles will compel the Raiders to at least upgrade depth at the center position. Faine (6-2, 303) would be a strong addition here. The Raiders could still opt to take Penn State RB Larry Johnson here since they need a power running back. The Raiders could also opt to take one of the top safeties in this draft to bolster the secondary.

32. Oakland Raiders (from Tampa Bay): Tyler Brayton, DE/DT, Colorado
Oakland has to beef up their pass rush given the age and injury history of DE Trace Armstrong. Remember…the quarterback must go down, and go down hard!
Needs: DE, C, RB, WR, S, CB
Options: The Raiders were exposed as a slow, aging team in the Super Bowl, so adding youth and speed are musts. Oakland has a pressing need at defensive end where Trace Armstrong (Achilles) and Tony Bryant (bruised spinal column) are recovering from serious injuries. Brayton (6-6, 277, 4.67/40) would add a tough DE/DT tweener who displayed excellent speed and abilities at the NFL Combine.

Last edited by mmarra82 : 04-01-2004 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:56 PM   #19
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Top-200 College Prospects

Date: March 5, 2003

Head Scout

To: Michael Marra
General Manager

Re: Ed McGregor
Head Coach

Top 200 College Prospects

Code:
RANK POS PLAYER HGT WGT 40 SCHOOL PICK RANGE 1 QB Carson Palmer 6-5 232 4.6 USC 1 - 3 2 WR Charles Rogers 6-2 202 4.3 Michigan St 2 - 2 3 WR Andre Johnson 6-2 230 4.3 Miami 3 - 6 4 CB Terence Newman 5-10 198 4.3 Kansas St 2 - 6 5 DE Terrell Suggs 6-3 257 4.8 Arizona St 4 - 6 6 QB Byron Leftwich 6-5 241 4.9 Marshall 5 - 14 7 DT DeWayne Robertson 6-1 317 4.8 Kentucky 5 - 9 8 CB Marcus Trufant 5-11 199 4.4 Washington St 7 - 13 9 OT Jordan Gross 6-5 300 5.0 Utah 8 - 9 10 DT Jimmy Kennedy 6-4 322 5.2 Penn St 6 - 10 11 DT Kevin Williams 6-5 304 4.8 Oklahoma St 12 - 13 12 QB Kyle Boller 6-3 234 4.6 California 12 - 27 13 DE Jerome McDougle 6-2 264 4.7 Miami 12 - 25 14 OLB Boss Bailey 6-3 233 4.3 Georgia 13 - 22 15 DT William Joseph 6-5 308 5.0 Miami 12 - 15 16 OT Kwame Harris 6-7 310 5.2 Stanford 13 - 18 17 OG Eric Steinbach 6-6 297 4.9 Iowa 12 - 19 18 DT Jonathan Sullivan 6-3 313 5.0 Georgia 16 - 19 19 DE Michael Haynes 6-4 281 4.8 Penn St 17 - 22 20 WR Taylor Jacobs 6-0 205 4.4 Florida 16 - 24 21 TE Jason Witten 6-6 264 4.6 Tennessee 19 - 33 22 S Troy Polamalu 5-10 206 4.3 USC 23 - 34 23 DT Ty Warren 6-5 307 5.0 Texas A&M 24 - 29 24 CB Andre Woolfolk 6-1 197 4.4 Oklahoma 20 - 24 25 MLB E.J. Henderson 6-1 245 4.8 Maryland 18 - 21 26 QB Rex Grossman 6-1 217 5.1 Florida 23 - 48 27 RB Larry Johnson 6-1 228 4.4 Penn St 29 - 33 28 RB Lee Suggs 6-0 202 4.4 Virginia Tech 28 - 33 29 DE Chris Kelsay 6-4 273 4.7 Nebraska 26 - 39 30 OT George Foster 6-5 338 5.0 Georgia 25 - 40 31 OT Wayne Hunter 6-6 303 5.1 Hawaii 40 - 57 32 S Mike Doss 5-10 207 4.5 Ohio St 27 - 38 33 WR Bryant Johnson 6-2 214 4.4 Penn St 35 - 45 34 WR Kelley Washington 6-3 223 4.4 Tennessee 28 - 37 35 OC Jeff Faine 6-3 303 4.9 Notre Dame 33 - 49 36 DT Kenny Peterson 6-3 298 4.8 Ohio St 27 - 30 37 MLB Terry Pierce 6-1 251 4.8 Kansas St 29 - 40 38 QB Chris Simms 6-4 220 4.8 Texas 37 - 57 39 RB Onterrio Smith 5-10 220 4.4 Oregon 42 - 54 40 OLB Gerald Hayes 6-1 228 4.7 Pittsburgh 39 - 46 41 QB Dave Ragone 6-4 249 4.9 Louisville 38 - 52 42 DE Tyler Brayton 6-6 277 4.7 Colorado 38 - 71 43 DT Rien Long 6-6 302 5.1 Washington St 26 - 34 44 CB Sammy Davis 6-0 186 4.4 Texas A&M 32 - 49 45 DE DeWayne White 6-2 273 4.7 Louisville 32 - 44 46 RB Chris Brown 6-3 220 4.4 Colorado 41 - 72 47 CB Rashean Mathis 6-1 202 4.4 Bethune Cookman 32 - 45 48 DE Calvin Pace 6-4 269 4.7 Wake Forest 51 - 64 49 RB Justin Fargas 6-1 219 4.3 USC 42 - 57 50 TE Dallas Clark 6-3 257 4.6 Iowa 51 - 73 51 OG Torrin Tucker 6-6 328 5.3 Southern Mississippi 57 - 65 52 RB Willis McGahee 6-0 223 4.5 Miami 41 - 60 53 OG Vince Manuwai 6-2 304 5.1 Hawaii 43 - 55 54 OLB Nick Barnett 6-2 236 4.6 Oregon St 60 - 87 55 RB Musa Smith 6-1 232 4.4 Georgia 51 - 74 56 OC Al Johnson 6-4 305 5.0 Wisconsin 59 - 75 57 DE Cory Redding 6-4 279 4.8 Texas 43 - 49 58 DE Kenny King 6-3 281 4.9 Alabama 63 - 105 59 OT Jon Stinchcomb 6-5 302 5.0 Georgia 51 - 58 60 CB Kevin Garrett 5-9 194 4.3 SMU 58 - 77 61 DE Kindal Moorehead 6-3 285 4.9 Alabama 65 - 77 62 CB Dennis Weathersby 6-1 204 4.3 Oregon St 43 - 48 63 CB Eugene Wilson 5-10 192 4.4 Illinois 54 - 58 64 WR Tyrone Calico 6-4 223 4.3 Middle Tennessee St 56 - 73 65 DT Jarret Johnson 6-3 284 5.0 Alabama 65 - 78 66 TE Ben Joppru 6-4 272 4.7 Michigan 62 - 87 67 OT Brett Williams 6-5 321 5.2 Florida St 59 - 68 68 WR Brandon Lloyd 6-0 184 4.6 Illinois 53 - 69 69 DE Antwan Peek 6-3 246 4.6 Cincinnati 68 - 87 70 S Ken Hamlin 6-3 209 4.5 Arkansas 55 - 71 71 DT Nick Eason 6-3 301 5.1 Clemson 56 - 80 72 OG Montrae Holland 6-2 333 5.1 Florida St 62 - 74 73 WR Anquan Boldin 6-1 216 4.7 Florida St 64 - 91 74 CB Nnamdi Asomugha 6-2 213 4.4 California 90 - 130 75 WR Talman Gardner 6-1 205 4.4 Florida St 58 - 101 76 WR Teyo Johnson 6-5 247 4.6 Stanford 69 - 83 77 OG Derrick Dockery 6-6 347 5.5 Texas 65 - 100 78 FB Ovie Mughelli 6-1 255 4.8 Wake Forest 92 - 126 79 S Terrence Holt 6-2 208 4.5 North Carolina St 76 - 84 80 S Julian Battle 6-2 205 4.4 Tennessee 61 - 74 81 DE Clint Mitchell 6-7 257 4.9 Florida 80 - 119 82 TE LJ Smith 6-3 258 4.6 Rutgers 106 - 151 83 OT Tony Pashos 6-6 337 5.4 Illinois 66 - 78 84 RB Artose Pinner 5-10 229 4.6 Kentucky 92 - 112 85 DT Ian Scott 6-2 312 5.1 Florida 90 - 111 86 WR Billy McMullen 6-4 210 4.5 Virginia 88 - 122 87 RB Cecil Sapp 5-11 229 4.5 Colorado St 91 - 110 88 WR Kevin Curtis 5-11 186 4.4 Utah St 83 - 111 89 OT Ben Johnson 6-7 329 5.3 Wisconsin 78 - 92 90 MLB Bradie James 6-2 242 4.6 LSU 74 - 91 91 TE Aaron Walker 6-6 252 4.7 Florida 89 - 113 92 DE Alonzo Jackson 6-4 266 4.8 Florida St 96 - 108 93 WR Justin Gage 6-4 217 4.7 Missouri 87 - 121 94 WR Shaun McDonald 5-9 169 4.4 Arizona St 102 - 115 95 WR Sam Aiken 6-2 209 4.6 North Carolina 84 - 95 96 OC Bruce Nelson 6-5 301 5.2 Iowa 113 - 132 97 MLB Lance Briggs 6-1 242 4.7 Arizona 88 - 107 98 MLB Victor Hobson 6-1 252 4.8 Michigan 85 - 96 99 DE Jamaal Green 6-2 272 4.7 Miami 116 - 138 100 OLB Eddie Moore 6-0 237 4.6 Tennessee 135 - 173 101 OLB Angelo Crowell 6-0 236 4.7 Virginia 87 - 109 102 MLB Chaun Thompson 6-2 240 4.5 West Texas A&M 93 - 117 103 DE Andrew Williams 6-2 263 4.7 Miami 93 - 124 104 MLB Clifton Smith 6-2 253 4.8 Syracuse 87 - 116 105 S Antwoine Sanders 6-2 202 4.5 Utah 96 - 123 106 WR Doug Gabriel 6-2 213 4.5 Central Florida 91 - 128 107 OT Jeremy Bridges 6-4 301 5.4 Southern Mississippi 87 - 127 108 OLB Pisa Tinoisamoa 6-0 231 4.6 Hawaii 105 - 119 109 WR Kareem Kelly 6-0 186 4.4 USC 97 - 113 110 DE Tully Banta-Cain 6-2 264 4.6 California 68 - 100 111 TE Robert Johnson 6-6 278 4.9 Auburn 90 - 112 112 DT Eric Manning 6-1 303 5.0 Oregon St 101 - 119 113 CB Drayton Florence 6-0 198 4.4 Tuskegee 80 - 97 114 DT Rashad Moore 6-3 324 4.9 Tennessee 92 - 125 115 S Todd Johnson 6-1 206 4.5 Florida 98 - 121 116 CB DeJuan Groce 5-10 192 4.5 Nebraska 108 - 111 117 OT Will Ofenheusle 6-7 308 5.2 Tennessee 108 - 120 118 OT Wade Smith 6-4 294 5.1 Memphis 120 - 149 119 RB/KR Domanick Davis 5-9 213 4.6 LSU 134 - 148 120 OLB Shurron Pierson 6-2 243 4.6 South Florida 101 - 142 121 DT Anthony Adams 6-0 299 5.1 Penn St 108 - 131 122 CB Ricky Manning 5-9 185 4.5 UCLA 107 - 117 123 WR Terrence Edwards 6-0 176 4.5 Georgia 126 - 154 124 WR Nate Burleson 6-1 197 4.5 Nevada 116 - 156 125 TE Mike Pinkard 6-5 259 4.6 Arizona St 109 - 136 126 OT Jordan Black 6-6 314 5.2 Notre Dame 120 - 139 127 DE Jimmy Wilkerson 6-3 271 4.9 Oklahoma 110 - 145 128 DE Antonio Garay 6-3 295 4.9 Boston College 119 - 142 129 CB Charles Tillman 6-1 207 4.4 Louisiana-Lafayette 119 - 146 130 OLB Chris Clemons 6-3 236 4.7 Georgia 129 - 150 131 DE Aaron Hunt 6-3 267 4.8 Texas Tech 115 - 150 132 CB Roderick Babers 5-9 192 4.4 Texas 103 - 128 133 OLB Cie Grant 6-0 228 4.4 Ohio St 123 - 131 134 DT Colin Cole 6-2 309 5.2 Iowa 111 - 155 135 OT Steve Sciullo 6-5 330 5.4 Marshall 128 - 137 136 S Bryan Scott 6-1 219 4.4 Penn St 129 - 156 137 MLB Tony Gilbert 6-0 251 4.8 Georgia 146 - 182 138 CB Donald Strickland 5-10 187 4.4 Colorado 117 - 128 139 RB LaBrandon Toefield 5-10 223 4.5 LSU 138 - 154 140 S Colin Branch 6-0 203 4.4 Stanford 124 - 169 141 WR/KR Bobby Wade 5-10 193 4.6 Arizona 137 - 158 142 FB Andrew Pinnick 5-10 265 4.7 South Carolina 130 - 162 143 OC Brett Romberg 6-2 295 5.2 Miami 141 - 186 144 MLB LaMarcus McDonald 6-1 227 4.9 TCU 105 - 134 145 QB Brian St.Pierre 6-3 218 4.8 Boston College 135 - 179 146 DT Dan Klecko 6-0 283 4.9 Temple 136 - 154 147 S Terrence Kiel 5-11 204 4.4 Texas A&M 153 - 171 148 FB BJ Askew 6-2 241 4.6 Michigan 149 - 193 149 MLB Matt Wilhelm 6-4 245 4.6 Ohio St 131 - 149 150 OLB Mike Nattiel 6-0 228 4.6 Florida 140 - 190 151 FB Casey Moore 6-2 240 4.6 Stanford 170 - 179 152 DE Matt Walters 6-5 272 4.7 Miami 135 - 160 153 MLB Mario Haggan 6-3 252 4.8 Mississippi St 118 - 148 154 OT Garry Johnson 6-3 289 5.3 Arkansas St 130 - 182 155 WR Walter Young 6-5 214 4.5 Illinois 146 - 179 156 OT Todd Williams 6-5 340 5.1 Florida St 143 - 160 157 S Willie Pile 6-2 206 4.5 Virginia Tech 152 - 190 158 TE Vishante Shiancoe 6-4 251 4.6 Morgan St 148 - 168 159 WR Arnaz Battle 6-1 217 4.6 Notre Dame 153 - 165 160 CB Chris Brown 6-0 195 4.4 UAB 152 - 176 161 DT Terrance Martin 6-3 299 5.1 North Carolina St 141 - 200 162 DE Nick Burley 6-4 243 4.8 Fresno St 147 - 164 163 OC Wayne Lucier 6-4 301 5.3 Colorado 187 - 199 164 S Donnie Nickey 6-2 220 4.6 Ohio St 153 - 169 165 TE Donald Lee 6-3 249 4.7 Mississippi St 171 - 191 166 RB Dahrran Diedrick 6-0 228 4.6 Nebraska 178 - 211 167 QB Kliff Kingsbury 6-4 213 4.7 Texas Tech 132 - 173 168 OT Kareem Marshall 6-5 359 5.5 Georgia 198 - 203 169 CB Shane Walton 5-11 184 4.6 Notre Dame 121 - 159 170 MLB Lawrence Flugence 6-0 239 4.8 Texas Tech 146 - 207 171 OT Justin Bates 6-4 293 5.3 Colorado 152 - 175 172 RB Ernest Graham 5-9 225 4.8 Florida 146 - 193 173 DT Matt Leonard 6-3 305 4.9 Stanford 135 - 177 174 MLB Kawika Mitchell 6-1 253 4.6 South Florida 151 - 186 175 S Derek Pagel 6-1 208 4.5 Iowa 181 - 212 176 OG Anthony Davis 6-4 329 5.3 Virginia Tech 138 - 193 177 S Gerome Sapp 6-0 216 4.6 Notre Dame 157 - 181 178 WR Bethel Johnson 5-11 201 4.3 Texas A&M 189 - 205 179 OG Taylor Whitley 6-4 321 5.1 Texas A&M 160 - 174 180 QB Jason Gesser 6-1 205 4.8 Washington St 158 - 197 181 CB Torrie Cox 5-9 181 4.5 Pittsburgh 145 - 163 182 RB Dwone Hicks 5-10 222 4.6 Middle Tennessee St 168 - 193 183 OC Dan Koppen 6-3 297 5.2 Boston College 169 - 182 184 OLB Khalid Abdullah 6-2 227 4.6 Mars Hill 199 - 217 185 RB Quentin Griffin 5-7 195 4.4 Oklahoma 174 - 203 186 S Anthony Floyd 5-10 202 4.5 Louisville 150 - 174 187 CB Ivan Taylor 6-0 187 4.4 Louisiana Lafayette 154 - 194 188 DE Bryant McNeal 6-4 248 4.8 Clemson 176 - 200 189 S Hanik Milligan 6-2 201 4.4 Houston 156 - 194 190 QB Ken Dorsey 6-5 208 5.0 Miami 154 - 190 191 OT Seth Wand 6-7 321 5.1 NW Missouri St 183 - 202 192 OG Tony Terrell 6-3 334 5.4 UNLV 171 - 209 193 QB Seneca Wallace 5-11 196 4.5 Iowa St 185 - 211 194 S Charles Drake 6-1 205 4.4 Michigan 140 - 205 195 CB Jason Goss 5-10 183 4.6 TCU 187 - 213 196 WR Antwone Savage 5-11 192 4.5 Oklahoma 199 - 227 197 OT Dustin Rykert 6-6 327 5.4 BYU 173 - 211 198 WR Ryan Hoag 6-2 200 4.5 Gustavus Adolphus 190 - 201 199 OG Jeff Roehl 6-4 300 5.1 Northwestern 163 - 230 200 CB Korey Banks 5-10 188 4.5 Mississippi St 184 - 217
Old 04-01-2004, 09:37 PM   #20
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets Release Long Tenured Jets

The New York Jets released Linebacker's Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis as expected. The team has said they are looking to get younger, and they felt that 31-year old Marvin Jones and 34-year old Mo Lewis was where they could start.

It was expected that Mo Lewis was a sure thing, because of his age and cap hit, however, the talks recently that Jones was going to be released came as a bit of a surprise. The release of Jones signals that the team will move Cowart to his natural linebacking position, the middle. The Jets will have to address the departure of Lewis and Jones through the draft or free agency.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:41 PM   #21
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets Lose Thomas to 'Skins

Randy Thomas, Press Release
03/07/2003

Ashburn, VA – The Washington Redskins announced today they have signed veteran guard Randy Thomas. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Thomas has displayed aggressive pass protection skills and solid run blocking in his previous four seasons with the New York Jets, and adds additional talent and experience to the Redskins offensive line. He has been touted among the most coveted players on this year’s free agent market.
Thomas, 6-5, 301 lbs., has started all 61 contests of his four-year career. In 2002, he was the starting right guard for all 16 games, helping pave the way for Curtis Martin when he rushed for 1,094 yards. He started 13 contests in 2001, missing three games due to an ankle injury after posting 16 starts consecutively during the 2000 and 1999 seasons.

Thomas, 27, was drafted by the Jets in the second round (57th overall) of the 1999 NFL Draft out of Mississippi State. He was named to virtually every NFL rookie-team list and was the only rookie guard to start all 16 contests in the NFL in 1999. He was also the first Jets rookie to open the season in the starting lineup since Randy Rasmussen in 1967.

As a senior, Thomas received first-team all-Southeastern Conference honors, after starting every game during his college career. He was also named a SEC Academic Honor Roll recipient during his time at Mississippi State. Prior to playing for Mississippi State, Thomas was named All-America, All-State and All-Region as a two-year starter at Copiah-Lincoln (MS) Community College. He received a degree in educational psychology from Mississippi State.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:43 PM   #22
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Hall to the 'Skins

John Hall, Press Release
03/08/2003

Ashburn, VA – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed kicker John Hall. Terms of the contract were not disclosed. The six-year NFL veteran is a tough-minded and consistent competitor who has shown his ability to come through in critical game situations, nailing seven game-winning field goals among other clutch performances thus far in his career.
Hall, 28, comes to Washington after spending the first six years of his professional career with the New York Jets, scoring more than 100 points in five of his six seasons (93 points in 2000). He has connected on 149-of-203 field goals (regular season career-long of 55 yards; 60 yards in pre-season) and 205-of-210 extra points as a pro. His 652 career points rank him third all-time among Jets players, and he reached the 300-point total faster than any other player in franchise history. Hall turned in a solid performance in 2002, making 24-of-31 field goals in the regular season and playing a key role in leading the Jets into the playoffs. He was a perfect 2-for-2 in post-season play.

The 6-3, 220 lb. kicker handled both place kicking and kickoffs during 2001, finishing the season 24-of-31 and 32-of-32 on extra points. In addition, Hall converted a 53-yard field goal against Oakland with under a minute left to secure the Jets with their first playoff berth since 1998. His solid kick-offs helped the Jets secure excellent starting field position throughout the season, leading New York to finish ranked 2nd in the AFC and 5th in the NFL in the category.

In 2000, he connected on 21-of-32 field goals and recorded nine touchbacks. He set a career-high for field goal percentage in 1999 (81.8 %) converting on 27-of-33 field goals and finished with 108 points. He equaled a career-best with 120 points in 1998 making 25-of-35 field goals and a career-high 45 extra points. He began his career as an undrafted free agent in 1997, scoring a total of 120 points and setting a modern-day record for touchbacks with 29, earning him AFC Rookie of the Week and numerous all-rookie team honors at the end of the season.

Hall played collegiate ball at the University of Wisconsin and finished his career as the fifth all-time leading scorer with 186 points. He also holds the school’s record for the longest field goal (60 yards). Hall is a native of Port Charlotte, FL, where he attended Port Charlotte High School.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:46 PM   #23
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Bucs Lose Singleton to Jets

Bucs lose Singleton to 4-year deal with Jets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA -- It took free agency to create some gaping holes in the NFL's best defense.

Bucs linebacker Al Singleton became the second starter to leave the Super Bowl champs in as many days when he signed a four-year contract with the Jets on Thursday. Terms weren't released, but the deal was believed to be worth about $8-million and include a $2-million signing bonus.

The 6-foot-2, 228-pound Singleton spent six seasons with Tampa Bay. He became a starter last season when Shelton Quarles moved to middle linebacker. Singleton finished with a career-high 89 tackles.

On Wednesday, Super Bowl MVP Dexter Jackson signed a five-year, $14-million deal with the Cardinals. As with Jackson, the Bucs expected to lose Singleton because of their salary-cap situation.

Singleton's departure leaves the Bucs without an experienced linebacker. Ryan Nece is recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament that forced him to spend most of his rookie season on injured reserve, and the Bucs did not tender a contract to restricted free agent Jack Golden.

Despite the hit to the defense, the Bucs plowed on with their search for backup quarterbacks.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:48 PM   #24
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Redskins sign free agent KR Chad Morton to offer sheet

Redskins sign free agent KR Chad Morton to offer sheet

ASHBURN, Virginia (Ticker) - The Washington Redskins continued their overhaul Thursday, or tried at least.
Already armed with a new running back, kicker and five linemen, the Redskins signed restricted free agent kick-returner Chad Morton to an offer sheet.
While terms were not disclosed, ESPN reported the deal to be worth $8 million over five years, including a $2.5 million signing bonus.
The New York Jets have seven days to match the offer or accept a fifth-round draft pick as compensation. They had made Morton a qualifying offer of $605,000 for one year, according to ESPN.
Morton, 25, ranked second in the AFC last season, averaging 26 yards per return. He totaled a team-record 1,509 return yards and two touchdowns - both in a Week One win at Buffalo, including a 98-yarder in overtime.
The second player in NFL history to return a kickoff for a touchdown in overtime, Morton has averaged 24.4 yards per return in three seasons - two with the Jets and one with New Orleans.
Morton is the second restricted free agent this week to sign an offer sheet with the Redskins. On Monday, Green Bay safety Matt Bowen signed a reported four-year, $6 million deal.
Before they signed Morton to the offer sheet, the Redskins needed to acquire a compensatory fifth-round draft pick. They got one Monday from New England, but it did not meet NFL guidelines because it wasn't higher than Washington's own fifth-rounder.
On Thursday, the deal was amended, with the Redskins acquiring the highest of the Patriots' three fifth-round selections, which originally was Dallas'. In exchange, Washington and New England swapped 2003 third-round picks.
It is believed the Jets will match the offer.

Last edited by mmarra82 : 04-01-2004 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:50 PM   #25
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets sign PK Doug Brien

Jets sign PK Doug Brien
3/11/03

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- The New York Jets signed unrestricted free agent Doug Brien on Friday to replace kicker John Hall, who signed with the Washington Redskins.

Brien began last season with the Minnesota Vikings but was released in October. He entered the league in 1994 and tied a Super Bowl record that year when he made all seven extra points he attempted in San Francisco's 49-26 victory over San Diego.

Brien also set 49ers records that season for extra points made (60) and attempted (62).

Brien has played nine years in the NFL with five teams.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:52 PM   #26
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets have a week to match Redskins' offer of Coles

Wednesday, March 12, 2003

Jets have a week to match Redskins' offer Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Wide receiver Laveranues Coles signed an offer sheet from the Washington Redskins on Wednesday. On Monday, the Redskins offered Coles, the New York Jets' outstanding young receiver, a seven-year contract worth about $35 million, including a $13 million signing bonus. Coles is a restricted free agent, so the Jets have a week to match the offer. If they don't, they will receive Washington's first-round and third round pick in this year's NFL draft. Coles had 89 catches for 1,264 yards and five touchdowns last season. He has said he was disappointed by the Jets' initial contract offer -- believed to include a $6 million signing bonus. While New York has enough money under the salary cap to match Washington's offer it also must consider whether to match the offer to Morton by Thursday.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:54 PM   #27
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets Keep Morton

The Jets tooks some time to evaluate and have concluded to match the Redskins' offer for RB/KR Chad Morton.

Morton, 25, ranked second in the AFC last season, averaging 26 yards per return. He totaled a team-record 1,509 return yards and two touchdowns - both in a Week One win at Buffalo, including a 98-yarder in overtime.

It is expected that Morton's role in the offense will expand as well this season, as the new staff looks to add speed.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:57 PM   #28
mmarra82
High School Varsity

New linebacker Navies signs on with Jets

Posted on Wed, Mar. 19, 2003

New linebacker Navies signs on with Jets

Associated Press

Hempstead, NY - Shedding blocks is what linebackers like Hannibal Navies are paid to do.

And while Navies is at it, the newest New York Jet plans to shed an injury label which drove down his price as an unrestricted free agent.

Navies, who signed a three-year deal Tuesday with the Jets reportedly worth $3 million, including a $500,000 signing bonus, can play all three linebacker positions.

The only problem is that the projected replacement for aging Mo Lewis has been nicked-up for much of his four-year NFL career.

Navies said he is confident not only that his injury-plagued days are over, but that he can play effectively in the middle even though most of his professional experience is at outside linebacker.

"I have no doubt I can stay healthy," said Navies Wednesday in a conference call from his home in Charlotte, N.C. "It's been a couple of tough breaks the last couple years, but it's not been anything major."

"I don't think it will be an issue for me to stay healthy."

The 6-2, 240-pound Navies has missed 26 of a possible 64 regular-season games since entering the league as Carolina's fourth-round pick in 1999, including 16 the past two seasons.

Navies started nine of the 11 games he played in last season as the Panthers' strong side linebacker and recorded 45 tackles, 25 solo, with no sacks before sitting out the final five games with a high ankle sprain.

He started Carolina's first five games of 2001, but was sidelined the last 11 with a broken forearm.

Navies was healthy the entire 2000 season, playing in 13 games as a backup, but missed the first seven games of his rookie season with a knee injury.

He was healthy and highly productive during his collegiate career at Colorado, where he was a two-year starter and finished with 180 solo tackles, eighth-best in Buffaloes' history.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:01 PM   #29
mmarra82
High School Varsity

WR Coles headed to Washington
March 19, 2003
The Sports Network

East Rutherford, NJ (Sports Network) - The New York Jets have decided not to match the Washington Redskins' offer sheet to restricted free agent wide receiver Laveranues Coles, according to published reports.

According to Wednesday's New York Daily News and New York Post, the Jets will announce at a press conference on Wednesday that they will allow Coles to officially become a Redskin and accept the offer sheet, which is reported to be worth $35 million over seven years, including a $13 million signing bonus.

The club officially has until 4:00 PM Wednesday to determine whether they will match the offer sheet Coles signed last week with Washington.

The Jets will receive Washington's first round selection (13th overall) and the team's third round draft selection (75 overall) in April's draft as compensation. The Jets also have their own pick in the first round, which is No. 22.

The 25-year-old Coles, who played his college ball at Florida State, set career highs last season with 89 catches for 1,264 yards, an average of 14.2 yards per reception. He also caught five touchdown passes.

In his first two campaigns, the 5'11", 196-pounder had 81 receptions for 1,238 yards and eight touchdowns.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:34 AM   #30
mmarra82
High School Varsity

March 21, 2003

Hempstead, NY

Owner Woody Johnson - "The past three weeks has seen our organziation make decisions that were not easy ones. Long tenured players have moved on, and the organization has changed its focus. General Manager Michael Marra, and Coach McGregor and their staff have the ownerships full support. At this time I ask General Manager Michael Marra to address you. Mr. Marra will explain the team's decision making process and then will take some questions from you. Mike..."

GM Marra - "As Mr. Johnson stated, the past three weeks have seen more changes in the Jets' organization, this time to our club's roster. Currently we are about a projected $10 million under the league salary cap, once the draft is completed and any further free agency signings occur. Once we have our roster established we will begin to look at extending the contracts of some of our core players whose contracts are up following the 2004 season.

Our organziation's goal is to compete and ultimately get the New York Jets back to the Super Bowl in a three year window. In order to get the plan in action we had to part ways with some veteran players. Our longest tenure Jet Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones were released to free up the necessary cap space to bring in youger players on the Defense. We have addressed these issues by signing Hannibal Navies to play the strong side and Al Singleton for the weak side, Sam Cowart will be moved to his more natural position, the middle. We explored the possiblity of signing a Defensive Tackle, however, the top Defensive Tackles asking prices were high, and we felt we could work this position from within the organziation and through the draft. We are currently looking at suring up our Safety position through free agency and the draft as well.

Because of today's salary cap, we faced the tough decisions of seeing some young talent move to Washington. Unrestricted Free Agent Randy Thomas was offered a very lucrative deal, that we felt we could not match because of our cap situation. The move of Restricted Free Agent Laverneus Coles puts this organziation in a good position. We tendered an offer to Coles that would grant us a first and third round pick if he signed with someone else. Washington offered Coles a contract that we could have matched however, it would have made our cap situation difficult to handle next season when we have to extend what we feel are our key players for the future. After speaking with the staff and scouts we feel that Moss, who has a similar build, can fit into Coles role, and Coach McGregor would like to obtain a taller more physical receiver to play opposite. We are looking at some veteran wide outs as well as players in this year's draft.

The decision to keep Chad Morton was a deal that made sense to us. If we had allowed Morton to move on to Washington, we would have received a 5th round pick. Now we have someone still here to handle kick return responsibilities as well as add another dimension out of the backfield.

We now have two picks in the first round, a pick in the second round and two picks in the third round to help fill any needs and allow this team to compete for years to come.

At this time I can take some questions.

"Have you had any contact with other teams about moving your two first round picks, and moving up in the first round to obtain one of the elite players?"

Marra - "At this time, no, although we were only awarded the picks a couple of days ago."

"Because of the short time the front office and staff has had to prepare for free agency, do you feel you lost out on some players, such as Coles and Thomas?"

Marra - "I was hear when we tried to negotiate a long term deal with Coles, but I think they knew he would receive some offers and wanted the opportunity to explore them. As far as what was out on the market, I feel we did well, there was a lot interest in some of the players we signed, and they ended up with us."

"How much input has the coaching staff had in the decision making process?"

Marra - "Myself, the Scouting Staff and the Coaching Staff has spent countless hours over the past three weeks evaluating our own personnel, unrestricted and restricted free agents and the draft pool. We are all on the same page, we want players that are younger, quicker and can adapt to the new system."

"Will Vinny Testaverde be with the team this season?"

Marra - "Coach McGregor and myself spoke with Vinny and informed him that we would like to have him back for the season."

"Will Vinny's role be solely as a backup?"

Marra - "I cannot answer that for certainty, that will be the coaches' choice."

"Will we see any more signings before the draft?"

Marra - "It is possible, we are scheduled to meet with Minnesota Vikings' Safety, Tyrone Carter, San Diego Chargers' Receiver, Curtis Conway and Seattle's Restricted Free Agent Wide Receiver, Darrell Jackson. We also plan to workout several players in the nex week or so, then direct our full attention to the draft."

PR Director - "At this time our press conference is concluded, Coach McGregor will now meet with scheduled reporters one to one at fifteen minutes each. Thank you for coming."
Old 04-03-2004, 03:25 PM   #31
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets Get Help at Safety

Posted on Fri, Apr. 11, 2003

VIKINGS REPORT: Carter signs with Jets

BY BILL WILLIAMSON

Pioneer Press

Tyrone Carter is leaving the Twin Cities.

The Florida native, who etched a place in Gophers history, agreed to terms with the New York Jets on Thursday, leaving the Vikings and the Twin Cities after seven seasons here.

"Sometimes leaving home is the toughest thing,'' said Carter's agent Drew Rosenhaus. "He really found it hard to leave the Vikings. He would have loved to stay in Minnesota, but the Jets offered him a rare opportunity.''

Rosenhaus said Carter would officially sign a two-year contract today. Terms were not available, but it's believed Carter got a signing bonus.

The Jets will give Carter a chance to return kicks, as well as an opportunity to play cornerback and safety.

Carter was a college legend but was unable to play consistently well for the Vikings, moving between cornerback and safety. He was named the starting right cornerback after two games last season but lost the job after four games and played the rest of the season as a nickel cornerback. He returned 17 kickoffs for 20.6 average.

Carter started 20 games as a Vikings, but at 5 feet 8, 190 pounds, many coaches considered him too small to be a consistent performer in the NFL. Still, it was a popular move locally when the team drafted him in the fourth round of the 2000 draft.

Carter, 27, was the first Gopher to earn consecutive All-America honors since Bobby Bell in 1961-62. He had 528 tackles in college, an NCAA record for defensive backs.

Even though they are revamping their secondary, the Vikings had a limited interest in retaining Carter as a reserve. He turned down modest offers from the Vikings and Indianapolis last month. He became an unrestricted free agent when the Vikings declined to give him a contract tender for this season.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:30 PM   #32
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets Sign Punter Dan Stryzinski
April 14, 2003
AP

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) The New York Jets signed free-agent punter Dan Stryzinski on Monday to replace Matt Turk, who was released earlier this month.

Stryzinski was let go by Kansas City last month. Stryzinski has nearly four times as many punts inside the 20-yard line as he does touchbacks (271-73) and he has a 40.1-yard gross average and net average of 35.8 yards.

He also has played for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Atlanta Falcons during his 13-year career.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service
Old 04-03-2004, 05:54 PM   #33
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Head Scout

To: Michael Marra
General Manager

Here are the statistics about the players you asked for:

Pro Dates Notes and Results of Possible Selections at the NFL Draft April 26, 27.

Anquan Boldin (6-0 5/8, 218, 4.60/40) | Florida State. Boldin’s 40-time at the NFL Combine was 4.70-4.75.

Tyrone Calico (6-3ľ, 223) | Middle Tennessee State. Calico, who ran a 4.34 40-time at the NFL Combine, impressed scouts during receiving drills at pro day. He dropped 2 out of the 50 passes thrown to him.

Talman Gardner (6-0ľ, 209, 4.36/40) | Florida State. Gardner caught every pass thrown to him during drills.

Taylor Jacobs (6-0Ľ, 197, 4.37/40, 4.19/SS, 6.91/3-cone, 37"/V, 9’9"/LJ) | Florida. Jacobs didn't drop a pass during his school-sponsored pro day.

Andre Johnson (6-1 7/8, 224, 4.34/40, 4.10/SS, 41Ľ"/V, 10’9"/LJ) | Miami. Johnson looked average in receiving drills during his school-sponsored pro day.

Bethel Johnson (5-11, 201, 4.29/40, 17/BP, 10’9"/LJ) | Texas A&M. The Packers, Steelers, Dolphins, and Bills were among the teams that attended his workout.

Bryant Johnson (6-2 3/8, 211, 4.39/40, 4.14/SS, 7.18/3-cone, 36˝"/V, 10’6"/LJ) | Penn State

Teyo Johnson (6-5 1/8, 246, 4.68/40, 18/BP) | Stanford. Teyo Johnson looked very good catching passes and impressed during blocking drills. Johnson is beings seriously considered as a NFL tight end prospect.

Shaun McDonald (5-8 5/8, 175, 4.46/40, 4.07/SS, 6.85/3-cone, 33 ˝"/V, 9’0"/LJ) | Arizona State. McDonald ran outdoors on Astroturf.

Charles Rogers (6-2 3/8, 200, 4.30, 4.19/SS, 7.10/3-cone, 37"/V, 10’1"/LJ) | Michigan State. Rogers bobbled a few passes during his workout.

Kelley Washington (6-2˝, 215, 4.42/40, 4.08/SS, 6.86/3-cone, 11.48/long shuttle, 18/BP, 39"/V, 10’9"/LJ) | Tennessee. Washington looked fully recovered from Nov. 2002 neck fusion surgery, caught the ball well, and looked powerful coming out of his breaks. He has firmly established himself as a first round pick.

William Joseph (6-5, 308, 5.05/40, 29/BP, 30"/V) | Miami

Jimmy Kennedy (6-4, 323, 5.22/40, 4.72/SS, 8.06/3-cone, 23/BP, 30"/V, 8’3"/LJ) | Penn State

Dan Klecko (5-11˝, 273) | Temple. Klecko worked out but did not do any drills during his school-sponsored pro day. He weighed in at 273, 10 pounds less than what he was at the Combine.

Rien Long (6-6 1/8, 303, 5.15/40, 4.47/Ss, 7.09/3-cone, 18/BP, 29"/V, 9’5"/LJ, 32ľ" arm, 10" hand) | Washington State

Kenny Peterson (6-3˝, 288, 27/BP, 30"/V, 8’7"/LJ) | Ohio State. [DT/DE] Peterson was impressive during weightlifting drills, but he pulled his hamstring running the 40-yard dash and could not complete the run. Several of NFL reps thought Peterson was faking the injury because he knew his dash time would be poor and needed a handy excuse.

Dwayne Robertson (6-1 3/8, 324, 4.85/40, 30/BP, 29˝"/V, 8’8"/LJ) | Kentucky

Johnathan Sullivan (6-3 3/8, 312, 4.97/40, 4.83/SS, 7.74/3-cone, 24/BP, 29˝"/V, 8’4"/LJ) | Georgia. Sullivan failed to impress scouts during his pro day.

Ty Warren (6-4 5/8, 307, 5.05/40, 24/BP) | Texas A&M. The Packers, Steelers, Dolphins, and Bills were among the teams that attended his workout.

Rodney "Boss" Bailey (6-3Ľ, 230, 4.42/40, 45˝"/V, 10’11"/LJ) | Georgia. Bailey was clocked as low as 4.35 in the 40 on a rubber track during his school-sponsored pro day.

Victor Hobson (4.61/40, 4.20/SS, 7.09/3-cone) | Michigan. Hobson ran indoors on a rubber track.

Robert Mathis (6-0 3/8, 228, 4.54/40, 4.25/SS, 7.30/3-conel, 22/BP, 32"/V, 9’6"/LJ) | Alabama A&M. [OLB/DE] Mathis is a defensive end who projects to outside linebacker in the NFL.

Mike Nattiel (5-11 5/8, 228, 4.60/40, 36"/V) | Florida

Pisa Tinoisamoa (6-0 3/8, 231) | Hawaii. Tinoisamoa looked very good in drills during his school-sponsored pro day.

Sam Williams (6-4˝, 257, 4.58/40, 4.26/SS, 21/BP, 37"/V, 10’2˝"/LJ) | Fresno State. Williams added 17 pounds of muscle for his pro day. His 4.58 40-time was on rough grass and was better than any recorded by a linebacker at the NFL Combine (4.62 being the best).

Gerald Hayes (6-0 1/8, 239, 4.77/40, 4.41/SS, 7.62/3-cone, 31"/V) | Pittsburgh. Hayes didn't do the long jump.

E.J. Henderson (6-1˝, 238, 4.70/40, 4.34/SS, 7.15/3-cone, 32˝"/V, 9’0"/LJ) | Maryland. Henderson impressed scouts during drills.

Terry Pierce (6-1Ľ, 245, 4.79/40, 4.51/SS, 7.30/3-cone, 32"/V, 9’7"/LJ) | Kansas State. Pierce didn't bench press since he did it at the Combine. Some scouts said he was impressive during linebacker drill, other said he looked sluggish. The Saints and the Chiefs were particularly impressed even though there was general agreement that Pierce appeared to be 7-9 pounds heavy.

Drayton Florence (6-0, 190) | Tuskegee. Florence postponed his workout until March 27 (originally scheduled for March 4) because he tweaked his hamstring at the NFL Combine.

Ricky Manning Jr. (5-9, 180, 4.45/40) | UCLA

Terence Newman (5-10 3/8, 189, 4.39/40, 3.84/SS, 6.61/3-cone) | Kansas State

Derrick Tatum (5-10 3/8, 194, 4.41/40, 4.06/SS, 11.07/long shuttle, 6.92/3-cone, 15/BP, 37"/V, 10’7"/LJ) | Kentucky

Marcus Trufant (3.89/SS) | Washington State

Andre Woolfolk (6-1 3/8, 197) | Oklahoma. Didn't run at his school-sponsored pro day after running a 4.48/40 at the NFL Combine. Woolfolk looked very good in drills during his school-sponsored pro day, but then scouts watched him surrender two TD passes on the Oklahoma State game film.

Nnamdi Asomugha (6-2 5/8, 210, 4.41/40, 4.22/SS, 7.03/3-cone) | California. [FS/CB/SS]

Julian Battle (6-2 1/8, 204, 4.44/40, 14/BP, 35˝"/V, 9’11"/LJ) | Tennessee. The Buffalo Bills are looking at Battle as a cornerback prospect.

Terrence Holt (6-1ľ, 208, 4.55/40) | North Carolina State

Derek Pagel (6-1, 210, 4.62/40, 6.50/3-cone, 25/BP, 9’9"/LJ) | Iowa. Pagel did not do the vertical jump because he did it at the NFL Combine.

Willie Pile (6-2 1/8, 204, 4.54/40) | Virginia Tech. Pile did not jump or do anything else because he already had done that at the Combine.

Mike Doss (6-2Ľ, 215, 4.50/40, 3.97/SS, 6.77/3-cone, 16/BP, 39"/V, 10’3"/LJ) | Ohio State

Terrence Kiel (5-11, 205, 4.50/40) | Texas A&M. The Packers, Steelers, Dolphins, and Bills attended Kiel’s workout.

Gerome Sapp (6-0 1/8, 219) | Notre Dame. Sapp did not to work out during his school-sponsored pro day due to a broken wrist he sustained on February 26.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:56 PM   #34
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Traded Draft Picks

2003 NFL Traded Draft Picks
Updated: 4/15/2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code:
Pick Traded To Traded From Traded For 1st - Buffalo Atlanta WR Peerless Price 1st - New England Buffalo QB Drew Bledsoe 1st - New Orleans Miami RB Ricky Williams (U of Texas) 1st - NY Jets Washington WR Laveranues Coles (1st round compensation for RFA Coles) 1st - Oakland Tampa Bay HC Jon Gruden 2nd - Philadelphia Green Bay CB Al Harris and Philadelphia's 4th round pick in 2003 3rd - Houston Atlanta 4th round pick in 2002 3rd - New England Washington * See Below 3rd - New Orleans Kansas City OT Willie Roaf 3rd - Washington New England * See Below 3rd - New England New Orleans S Tebucky Jones (New England also receives Saints' 7th rounder in 2003 and Saints' 4th rounder in 2004) 4th - Carolina Miami DE Jay Willams 4th - Cincinnati New Orleans RB Curtis Keaton 4th - Green Bay Philadelphia 2nd round pick in 2003 (Green Bay also receives CB Al Harris) 4th - New England Green Bay WR Terry Glenn 4th - St. Louis Washington RB Trung Canidate (St. Louis also receives OG David Loverne) 5th - Cleveland Minnesota DT Stalin Colinet 5th - Detroit Washington OG Brendan Stai 5th - Washington Dallas * See Below 5th - New England Houston OT Greg Randle-Robinson 6th - Atlanta Philadelphia OLB Marc Simoneau 6th - Chicago Miami QB Cade McNown 6th - Dallas Kansas City 2002 NFL Draft day trade 6th - Green Bay Washington S Matt Bowen ** 6th - Minnesota New Orleans QB Todd Bouman 6th - Pittsburgh St. Louis WR Troy Edwards 6th - forfeited Houston OG Milford Brown (Florida State) selected by Houston in 6th round of September 2002 Supplemental Draft 7th - Dallas San Diego OG Kelvin Garmon 7th - Miami San Francisco QB Cade McNown 7th - Miami Tampa Bay OT Cornell Green 7th - New England St. Louis OT Grant Williams 7th - New Orleans Indianapolis RB Ricky Williams (Texas Tech) 7th - New England New Orleans S Tebucky Jones (New England also receives Saints' 3rd rounder in 2003 and Saints' 4th rounder in 2004) 7th - NY Jets Washington OG David Loverne 7th - San Diego Cleveland TE Steve Heiden 7th - Seattle Jacksonville CB/S Ike Charlton 7th - St.Louis Houston CB Jacoby Shepherd 7th - Washington Miami QB Sage Rosenfils

Last edited by mmarra82 : 04-03-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:50 PM   #35
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets do not Pull the Trigger

April 25, 2003

With the NFL Draft approaching tomorrow, the Jets were contacted by Chicago to see if they were interested in sending their #13 and #22 pick of the first round along with a mid-round pick to move up to the #4 spot to have a shot at perhaps Wide Receiver Charles Rogers, Andre Johnson, Defensive Tackle Dwayne Robertson or Cornerback Terence Newman.

Jets feel they have too many holes at this time and can get the quality players later in the first round. It is believed the Jets would like to land a DT at #13. It is believed that Robertson will be gone by then, however, they feel they will still get a shot at one of the remaining Defensive Tackles, which is one of the deepest positions of the draft. It is believed that the Jets are hopeful, Kevin Williams of Oklahoma State or Jonathan Sullivan of Georgia will be available after Robertson, who is expected to go in the Top-5.

Last edited by mmarra82 : 09-25-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:53 PM   #36
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Patriots and Bears Deal

April 25, 2003

Chicago has been talking with teams the past few days about trading out of the #4 spot, and they found a taker. The Patriots who are looking for a dominating type player made the deal with the Bears, sending their #14 pick, #19 pick and a mid round pick in return for the #4 overall pick. It is believed the Patriots are looking to nab Defensive Tackle Dwayne Robertson of Kentucky or one of the elite wideouts, Charles Rogers of Michigan State, or Andre Johnson of Miami.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:17 PM   #37
mmarra82
High School Varsity

NFL Draft

April 26, 2003
NFL Draft

NFL Draft
Round 1

1. Cincinnati Bengals: Carson Palmer, QB (6-4Ľ, 237, 4.60) | USC.
With the No. 1 overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, the Bengals selected their quarterback of the future. Veteran QB Jon Kitna will get the starting nod this year, giving Palmer time to digest the playbook. The question is how quickly can Palmer learn Cincinnati’s system?

2. Detroit Lions: Charles Rogers, WR (6-4, 202, 4.44) | Michigan State.
The Lions desperately needed a franchise wide receiver and got one in Rogers, who will reinvigorate a passing offense whose leading receivers were RB James Stewart (45 receptions) and WR Bill Schroeder (595 yards) in 2002.

3. Houston Texans: Andre Johnson, WR (6-1 7/8, 224, 4.42) | Miami.
The Texans opted to roll the dice that veteran OLT Tony Boselli will be fully recovered from his shoulder problems to give Houston a full season of play in 2003. Instead trading down and selecting Utah OT Jordan Gross to protect QB David Carr (sacked 76 times in 2003), Houston decided to use a mid round selection on a pass protector (OT Seth Wand), saving their No. 3 overall pick for explosive Miami WR Andre Johnson, who has the size and speed to exploit a defense.

4. New England (from Chicago): Dewayne Robertson, DT (6-1 3/8, 317, 4.87) | Kentucky.
The Patriots traded their No. 14 overall and No. 19 overall draft picks to Chicago to move up high enough to select the best defensive tackle in this year’s draft.

5. Dallas Cowboys: Terence Newman, CB (5-10 3/8, 189, 4.39) | Kansas State.
While Dallas HC Bill Parcells would have preferred to trade down, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones held firm and selected Newman, adding much needed coverage ability to a secondary that was shaky in that area last season.

6. New Orleans Saints (from Arizona): Johnathan Sullivan, DT (6-3 1/8, 312, 4.97) | Georgia.
The Saints continued to upgrade their defense with their trade up for Sullivan, who was practically handed a starting job when the Saints traded starting DT Norman Hand to the Seahawks on Day 2 of the draft.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars (moved up after Minnesota passed): Byron Leftwich, QB (6-5 3/8, 242, 4.88) | Marshall.
Jaguars HC Jack Del Rio opted to select the team’s quarterback of the future given Jaguars veteran starting QB Mark Brunell is getting old after taking a couple of years of pounding. Leftwich will watch from the sidelines this year, giving him more time for his leg to heal.

8. Carolina Panthers (moved up after Minnesota passed): Jordan Gross, OT (6-4˝, 303, 5.02) | Utah.
The Panthers lucked out as Gross fell into their lap. Gross will fill the void at right tackle created when Carolina released ORT Chris Terry late in the 2002 season.

9. Minnesota Vikings (passed on draft slots 7 and 8): Kevin Williams, DT (6-4˝, 307, 4.83) | Oklahoma State.
After trying to create a bidding war between the Ravens and the Jaguars for their No. 7 overall draft pick, the Vikings burned themselves, allowing the clock on their pick to run out and dropping two draft slots as a result. DT Kevin Williams’ agent is expected to ask for No. 7 pick money even though the NFL will only award Minnesota No. 9 pick money under the team’s rookie salary pool. The signing bonus difference between the No. 7 and No. 9 overall picks is expected to be around $3 million. The Vikings could be looking at a "Bryant McKinnie" type holdout. Sure, things could still work out, but the Vikings have dug themselves a hole, both in resources and public perception.

10. Baltimore Ravens: Terrell Suggs, DE (6-3Ľ, 257, 4.77) | Arizona State.
While defensive end/outside linebacker was not one of their biggest needs, the Ravens could not pass up the opportunity to add a super productive pass rusher to their defense. Suggs could wind up starting at strongside linebacker in the Ravens’ 3-4 defense.

11. Seattle Seahawks: Marcus Trufant, CB (5-11, 199, 4.40) | Washington State.
The Seahawks had needs across the board on defense, but they passed over their biggest need (defensive tackle) to take Trufant, sending a message to disgruntled CB Shawn Springs. If Springs shapes up, he’ll start opposite CB Ken Lucas or Trufant. If not, Seattle is now in a position to trade Springs. Meanwhile, Seattle bolstered their defensive tackle position by trading for Saints sluggish DT Norman Hand on Day 2 of the draft.

12. St. Louis Rams: Jimmy Kennedy, DT (6-4, 324, 5.20) | Penn State.
After division rival Seattle nabbed Trufant, the player the Rams really wanted/needed, St. Louis opted to bolster their defensive line by taking Kennedy, who is a great hedge against DT Damione Lewis and his recurring foot injuries.

13. New York Jets (from Washington): Ty Warren, DT (6-4˝, 307, 5.05) | Texas A&M.
New York’s draft was impacted by them not willing to trade up into the top 4. The Jets picked what they considered to be the last top defensive tackle in this draft. While Warren is a reach here considering he was slowed by injuries last year, his selection allows New York to place a DT alongside Jason Ferguson who can provide run support as well as rush the passer.

14. Chicago Bears (from Buffalo via New England): Michael Haynes, DE (6-3˝, 285, 4.75) | Penn State.
The Bears’ loss of OLB Rosevelt Colvin via free agency compelled Chicago to bolster its pass rush. They made the safe pick in Haynes, who can rush the passer but holds up even better against the run.

15. Philadelphia Eagles (from San Diego): Jerome McDougle, DE (6-1˝, 264, 4.66) | Miami.
The Eagles needed to replace DE Hugh Douglas, who signed a free agent deal with Jacksonville. McDougle’s pass rushing ability should get him into the Eagles’ defensive end rotation immediately.

16. Pittsburgh Steelers (from Kansas City): Troy Polamalu, SS (5-10, 205, 4.35) | USC.
The Steelers traded up to get their man – Polamalu – who will add speed and hitting ability to their weak secondary.

17. Arizona Cardinals (from New Orleans): Bryant Johnson, WR (6-2Ľ, 215, 4.50) | Penn State.
The Cardinals traded down to no man’s land and reached for WR Bryant Johnson to fill a major need. Johnson has talent and should develop into a reliable target, but he lacks top end speed. Although Johnson will start, the Cardinals will wind up paying first round money to a second round player.

18. Arizona Cardinals (from Miami via New Orleans): Calvin Pace, DE (6-4, 267, 4.68) | Wake Forest.
While Pace is another reach for the Cardinals, he was a fast rising prospect who was unlikely to be available when Arizona was expected to pick again. So, by not selecting DE Terrell Suggs and trading down, the Cardinals believe they still secured a quality defensive end prospect in Pace and a quality wide receiver in Bryant Johnson. Both are expected to start.

19. Chicago Bears (from New England): Kyle Boller, QB (6-3, 234, 4.60) | California.
It was figured the Boller would go to the Ravens with the #10 pick, but when Suggs became available at #10 the Ravens took Suggs leaving Boller still on the board. The Bears figured to take Grossman with this pick, but get a better quarterback at #19 in Boller.

20. Denver Broncos: George Foster, OT (6-5, 333, 5.23) | Georgia.
With no defensive end worthy of their pick, the Broncos opted to strengthen their weak offensive line by selecting massive OT George Foster, whose wrist injury doesn’t seem to concern Denver.

21. Cleveland Browns: Jeff Faine, C (6-2Ľ, 303, 4.98) | Notre Dame.
After proclaiming that the Browns had a replacement (C/OG Melvin Fowler) for salary cap casualty C Dave Wohlabaugh, Cleveland HC Butch Davis decided to select C Jeff Faine anyway. Iowa OG Eric Steinbach, whom some believe could move to tackle within a year, would have filled the Browns’ offensive line needs better.

22. New York Jets: Boss Bailey, LB (6-3, 233, 4.38) | Georgia.
The Jets add athleticism to their aging linebacking corp with Bailey. Some thought the Jets would look at cornerback, Andre Woolfolk of Oklahoma here, or Florida wide-out, Taylor Jacobs. It is expected that Bailey will compete for the starting Strong-Side Linebacker position with newly acquired free agent, Hannibal Navies.

23. Buffalo Bills (from Atlanta): Willis McGahee, RB (6-0Ľ, 225, 4.46 [pre knee injury]) | Miami.
Bills HC Greg Williams claimed that McGahee was the top prospect on their draft board. Still, the selection of McGahee is a surprise considering the number of defensive needs Buffalo has. With the presence of incumbent starting RB Travis Henry, Buffalo will allow McGahee’s knee to continue to heal during the 2003 season. McGahee should be ready to challenge for the starting job in 2004, setting up a trade scenario for Henry next year.

24. Indianapolis Colts: Dallas Clark, TE (6-3˝, 253, 4.58) | Iowa.
The Colts shunned defensive help in the first round and chose to add a fast, pass-catching tight end to their receiving corps. Indianapolis selects Clark over Tennessee TE Jason Witten, whose receiving ability and quickness was questioned by the Colts.

25. New York Giants: William Joseph, DT (6-5, 308, 5.05) | Miami.
The Giants really needed to add a top-notch defensive end, but they deemed that none of the remaining prospects were worthy of their pick. So, they selected Miami DT William Joseph instead. Joseph will be a valuable rotation lineman this season and provide a valuable hedge against DT Keith Hamilton’s recurring Achilles’ tendon problems.

26. San Francisco 49ers: Kwame Harris, OT (6-7, 308, 5.12) | Stanford.
The 49ers stopped Harris’ drop down the first round and in the process found a massive replacement for aging starter OLT Derrick Deese.

27. Kansas City Chiefs (from Pittsburgh): Larry Johnson, RB (6-1, 228, 4.50) | Penn State.
Considering their needs on defense, the Chiefs’ selection of RB Larry Johnson signaled their concern over the timetable for RB Priest Holmes’ (hip) recovery. Also factoring into the Chiefs decision was Holmes’ demand for a new contract. While Johnson lacks Holmes’ speed, he has power and good receiving skills and will be a worthy replacement for Holmes, if it comes to that.

28. Tennessee Titans: Andre Woolfolk, CB (6-1 3/8, 197, 4.46) | Oklahoma.
Despite his lack of experience as a cornerback, Woolfolk will challenge for a starting job in Tennessee this year. Given the Titans’ lack of depth at corner, Woolfolk will at least be a No. 3 corner this year.

29. Green Bay Packers: Rex Grossman, QB (6-1, 217, 5.00) | Florida.
Green Bay takes their first shot at grooming a replacement for Hall of Famer, Brett Favre. Although Grossman does not have the arm of Favre, he posses the leadership qualities the Packers are looking for.

30. San Diego Chargers (from Philadelphia): Sammy Davis, CB (5-11˝, 186, 4.41) | Texas A&M.
The Chargers addressed their secondary needs over and over in this year’s draft. Davis’ aggressive one-on-one coverage style should make San Diego’s move of CB Ryan McNeil to safety easier to swallow.

31. Oakland Raiders: Nnamdi Asomugha, CB/FS (6-2 3/8, 215, 4.43) | California.
The Raiders went with the athletic and versatile Asomugha to improve their injury riddled secondary.

32. Oakland Raiders (from Tampa Bay): Tyler Brayton, DE/DT (6-6, 277, 4.75) | Colorado.
The Raiders selected Brayton to beef up their pass rush given the age and injury history of DE Trace Armstrong.

Note-Italics represent the changes I feel could have happened had the Jets not made the trade with Chicago.

Last edited by mmarra82 : 08-26-2004 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:23 PM   #38
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Round 2

Code:
Round 2Round: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7Prospects by: Players | Teams | Schools | Positions PK(OVR) TEAM NAME POS SCHOOL 1(33) Cincinnati ERIC STEINBACH OG IOWA 2(34) Detroit NICK BARRETT OLB OREGON STATE 3(35) Chicago CHARLES TILLMAN CB LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE 4(36) New England EUGENE WILSON CB ILLINOIS 5(37) New Orleans (from Arizona) JON STINCHCOMB OT GEORGIA 6(38) Dallas AL JOHNSON C WISCONSIN 7(39) Jacksonville RASHEAN MATHIS FS BETHUNE COOKMAN 8(40) Minnesota E.J. HENDERSON MLB MARYLAND 9(41) Houston (from Baltimore) BENNIE JOPPRU TE MICHIGAN 10(42) Seattle KEN HAMLIN S ARKANSAS 11(43) St. Louis PISA TINOISAMOA OLB HAWAII 12(44) Washington TAYLOR JACOBS WR FLORIDA 13(45) New England (from Carolina) BETHEL JOHNSON WR TEXAS A&M 14(46) San Diego DRAYTON FLORENCE CB TUSKEGEE 15(47) Kansas City KAWIKA MITCHELL MLB SOUTH FLORIDA 16(48) Buffalo CHRIS KELSAY DE NEBRASKA 17(49) Miami EDDIE MOORE OLB TENNESSEE 18(50) Carolina (from New England) BRUCE NELSON C IOWA 19(51) Denver TERRY PIERCE MLB KANSAS STATE 20(52) Cleveland CHAUN THOMPSON OLB WEST TEXAS A&M 21(53) NY Jets TYRONE CALICO WR MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE 22(54) Arizona (from New Orleans) ANQUAN BOLDIN WR FLORIDA STATE 23(55) Atlanta BRYAN SCOTT SS PENN STATE 24(56) NY Giants OSI UMENYIORA DE TROY STATE 25(57) San Francisco ANTHONY ADAMS NT PENN STATE 26(58) Indianapolis MIKE DOSS SS OHIO STATE 27(59) Pittsburgh ALONZO JACKSON DE FLORIDA STATE 28(60) Tennessee BRANDON LLOYD WR ILLINOIS 29(61) Philadelphia L.J. SMITH TE RUTGERS 30(62) San Diego (from Green Bay through Philadelphia) TERRENCE KIEL S TEXAS A&M 31(63) Oakland TEYO JOHNSON WR STANFORD 32(64) Tampa Bay DEWAYNE WHITE DE LOUISVILLE
Old 04-04-2004, 10:30 PM   #39
mmarra82
High School Varsity

The 2003 Draft Class of the NY Jets

1st Round, Pick 13 Ty Warren, DT, Texas A&M
1st Round, Pick 22 Boss Bailey, OLB, Georgia
2nd Round, Pick 21 Tyrone Calico, WR, Middle Tennessee State
3rd Round, Pick 11 Victor Hobson, OLB, Michigan
3rd Round, Pick 21 B.J. Askew, FB, Michigan
5th Round, Pick 5 Derek Pagel, FS, Iowa
6th Round, Pick 27 Brooks Bollinger, QB, Wisconsin
7th Round, Pick 23 Dave Yovanovits, OG, Temple
Old 04-04-2004, 10:46 PM   #40
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

If only it had really happened this way.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:34 AM   #41
mmarra82
High School Varsity

My dynasty, my way.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:42 AM   #42
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets Sign Robinson

Jets sign WR Marcus Robinson to one-year contract

May 2, 2003

Hempstead, NY - Two weeks after being released by the Chicago Bears, Marcus Robinson has landed with the New York Jets.

The Miami Dolphins also were courting the veteran receiver, but Robinson signed a one-year contract with the Jets on Thursday.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Robinson had just 21 catches for 244 yards last season after coming off major knee surgery. He was scheduled to make $2.6 million in the final year of his contract and was waived by the Bears on April 16 for salary cap purposes.

"Marcus will provide veteran experience to our receiving corps and he will be one year removed from his knee surgery," said Jets general manager Michael Marra. "Our experience with players coming off surgery is that in the second year they seem to be able to get back to the level of performance thet were playing at before the surgery. If that is the case with Marcus, this will be a really nice addition for us."

Robinson owns the Bears record for receiving yards in a season with 1,400 in 1999, but he was beset by knee injuries in 2000 and 2001, forcing him to miss 15 of 32 games.

A 1997 fourth-round draft pick out of South Carolina, Robinson has 187 catches for 2,695 yards in 51 games with the Bears.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:53 AM   #43
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Changes that were made.

My attempt was to recreate Jets history, however, in order to keep the game competitive I attempted to strengthen the teams that were affected by the Jets moves as well.

Marvin Jones was released and signed to Green Bay who took QB Rex Grossman instead of first round draft choice Nick Barrett of Oregon State. I also signed Hannibal Navies who was signed by the NFL Pack in 2003. So Green Bay came up a LB short for overall roster spots, but the received a much needed boost in the middle from Jones.

Mo Lewis was released and signed to Dallas. LB Al Singleton went to the Cowboys in the 2003 season, however, in my goal to make the Jets younger I signed Singleton instead. The Cowboys in turn got a better LB in Lewis.

In order to not be bogged down by Curtis Conway's contract, he went to Baltimore, who needed a receiver, therefore, that freed up Robinson who I signed.

Since I did not allow Washington to sign Chad Morton, I signed Michael Bates to handle Kick Return duties for the 'Skins.

Changes in the Draft:
Baltimore only had one first round draft choice, I did not want to trade future draft picks, because there is no way to do it in the game. The Ravens stayed with Suggs as there only selection.

Chicago, who received two first round picks in the New England trade used the first one on DE Michael Haynes, and the second one on a quarterback, since Boller was rated higher, they took him over Grossman.

That left Green Bay to pass on OLB Neil Barrett of Oregon and select QB Rex Grossman.

In the second round, Detroit no longer has Boss Bailey on the board so they select OLB Neil Barrett of Green Bay.

With the 21st pick in the second round the Jets fill a need with WR Tyrone Calico. This effects Tennessee's selection, so they take the next highest rated receiver, Brandon Lloyd.

The third round, the Jets had the 11th pick (compensation from the Coles deal) they select LB Victor Hobson, who was not rated as high as I had hoped. Baltimore gets there QB with the 13th pick, former Michigan QB, Drew Henson.

There were a couple of other minor changes as well, but nothing to speak of.

Last edited by mmarra82 : 04-06-2004 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:40 AM   #44
mmarra82
High School Varsity

2003 New York Jets Preseason Roster

Code:
Front Office Football 2004 New York Jets Roster, Scout Overview Player # Pos Start Exp Current Estimate Future Estimate Cntrct Pennington, Chad 10 QB QB 3 37 79 2 yrs Martin, Jamie 11 QB 6 9 27 1 yr. Testaverde, Vinny 16 QB 16 53 53 4 yrs Bollinger, Brooks 5 QB 1 6 25 3 yrs Martin, Curtis 28 RB RB 9 63 63 4 yrs Jordan, LaMont 34 RB 3 37 48 2 yrs Morton, Chad 20 RB 4 41 46 4 yrs Sowell, Jerald 33 FB FB 7 35 42 7 yrs Askew, B.J. 35 FB 1 23 39 4 yrs Becht, Anthony 88 TE TE 4 51 51 2 yrs Dearth, James 85 TE 3 19 33 7 yrs Baker, Chris 86 TE 2 21 40 2 yrs Moss, Santana 83 FL FL 3 56 80 3 yrs Carter, Jonathan 84 FL 3 17 25 1 yr. Chrebet, Wayne 80 FL 9 56 56 6 yrs Calico, Tyrone 89 SE SE 1 29 56 4 yrs Robinson, Marcus 87 SE 6 22 26 1 yr. Swayne, Kevin 82 SE 3 18 24 1 yr. Mawae, Kevin 68 C C 10 70 70 5 yrs O'Sullivan, Dennis 60 C 4 18 40 1 yr. Machado, J.P. 77 C 5 29 41 1 yr. Szott, Dave 79 LG LG 12 34 35 2 yrs Yovanovits, Dave 64 LG 1 16 36 3 yrs Smith, Brent 74 RG RG 6 11 22 1 yr. Goodwin, Jonathan 78 RG 2 7 15 2 yrs Fabini, Jason 69 LT LT 6 49 54 4 yrs McKenzie, Kareem 67 RT RT 3 37 62 1 yr. Nimmo, Lance 70 RT 1 12 35 4 yrs Stryzinski, Dan 4 P 14 32 32 1 yr. Brien, Doug 6 K 10 61 61 1 yr. Ellis, Shaun 92 LDE LDE 4 50 68 2 yrs Evans, Josh 91 LDE 9 32 32 3 yrs Abraham, John 94 RDE RDE 4 57 74 2 yrs Thomas, Bryan 99 RDE 2 24 49 3 yrs Warren, Ty 90 LDT LDT 1 41 74 4 yrs McGlockton, Chester 75 LDT 12 35 35 1 yr. Ferguson, Jason 72 RDT RDT 7 40 45 2 yrs Reed, James 93 RDT 3 10 18 1 yr. Harper, Alan 98 RDT 2 18 31 2 yrs Cowart, Sam 56 MLB MLB 6 76 77 5 yrs Wright, Kenyatta 52 MLB 4 18 28 1 yr. Bailey, Boss 97 SLB SLB 1 32 62 5 yrs Navies, Hannibal 50 SLB 5 20 26 3 yrs Glenn, Jason 58 SLB 3 17 26 1 yr. Singleton, Alshermond 51 WLB WLB 7 29 34 4 yrs Hobson, Victor 54 WLB 1 23 39 4 yrs Campbell, Khary 53 WLB 4 18 35 1 yr. Abraham, Donnie 29 LCB LCB 8 43 45 5 yrs Mickens, Ray 24 LCB 8 37 37 3 yrs Shepherd, Jacoby 32 LCB 4 26 47 1 yr. Beasley, Aaron 21 RCB RCB 8 42 42 3 yrs Henderson, Jamie 23 RCB 3 16 32 1 yr. Carter, Tyrone 22 SS SS 4 45 54 2 yrs Garnes, Sam 42 SS 7 28 29 2 yrs McGraw, Jon 38 FS FS 2 33 57 4 yrs Pagel, Derek 25 FS 1 21 40 3 yrs $$ - player is in starting lineup, ## - player is inactive. Players Under Contract: 56 Inactive: 0 On Active Roster: 56 Salary Cap: $75,000,000 Cap Room: $9,100,000 Maximum for New Player: $9,390,000 Cap Room Lost (to old contracts): $0 Cap Room Lost Next Year (to old contracts): $0 Cap Room Required Next Year: $68,910,000
Old 04-06-2004, 06:53 AM   #45
mmarra82
High School Varsity

2003 Season

The New York Jets enter the 2003 season ranked 10th in the AFC according to the game's power ratings.

The Jets' Franchise Value is rated 24th, with a value of nearly $368 million. Far from Philadelphia's value of $591 million, Dallas at $588, Denver at $567, and Pittsburgh and Washington at $524 million.

The Jets are in a 3-way tie for 11th in team's average age. The Jets team average age is 27.1, Oakland has the oldest average age at 28.3 while the youngest team is Indianapolis at 25.7.

New York has the 10th highest salary cap in the league, the Jets are $9.1 million under the cap to start the season. St. Louis is the tightest at $2.6 million under the cap.

The player with the highest cap total in the league is Indianapolis' QB Peyton Manning, his salary cap this season is $11.5 million. Manning was signed to a record contract before the season of $98 million over 7 years, that included a $34 million signing bonus.

Stay tune...
Old 04-07-2004, 06:40 AM   #46
mmarra82
High School Varsity

New York Jets Coaching Staff

Head Coach
Ed McGregor

Age 59

Motivations: AVG
Discipline: AVG
Offensive Playcalling: VG
Defensive Playcalling: AVG
Injury Avoidance: VG

Offensive Coordinator
Fred Coffey

Age 55

Quarterbacks: G
Running Backs: AVG
Receivers: AVG
Offensive Linemen: G
Kickers/Punters: AVG
Young Talent: E

Defensive Coordinator
Arnie Hanrahan

Age 64

Kickers/Punters: AVG
Defensive Linemen: E
Linbackers: VG
Secondary: VG
Young Talent: A

Head Scout
Daryl Whiting

Age 55

Quarterbacks: A
Runingbacks: A
Receivers: A
Offensive Linemen: A
Kickers: A
Defensive Linemen: G
Linebackers: A
Secondary: A
Young Talent: G
Old 04-07-2004, 10:09 AM   #47
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Preseason Game 1

New York Jets at Tampa Bay Buccanears

New York Jets 0 0 0 3 - 3
Tampa Bay 7 6 7 0 - 20

The New York Jets opened the preseason against the defending Champions, Tampa Bay. The Jets were totally outplayed, losing 20-3. Pennington and the Jets' offense was dismal, held to just 146 total yards in offense. Pennington completed 13 of 24 passes for 97 yards. Pennington was the Jets leading rusher with 15 yards.

The Bucs ran at will against the Jets. Pittman and Stecker combined for 171 yards on the ground. Quarterback Brad Johnson completed 13 of 15 passes for 105 yards. About the only downside to the Bucs day was 3 turnovers which allowed the Jets to hang around.

Player of the Game was Simeon Rice. Rice finished with 3 tackles, 3 assist, 2.5 sacks, 2 pass blocks and 1 qb hurry.

The Jets continue there preseason next week at home against Cincinnati.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:42 PM   #48
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Preseason Game 2

Cincinnati at New York Jets

Cincinnati 0 0 7 3 - 10
New York 0 7 7 0 - 14

The New York Jets eeked out a win over the Cincinnati Bengals by a score of 14-10. The Jets started many reserves in this one and played "OK," according to Coach McGregor.

The Jets were led on offense by Lamont Jordan who had the opportunity to carry the ball 19 times, for 79 yards and a touchdown. Sixth round draft choice, Brooks Bollinger surprised many when he came in mid way through the second quarter firing. Bollinger completed 15 of 24 passes for 123 yards. Bollinger through a beautiful long ball to Marcus Robinson that went for 56 yards but was called back for an ineligible receiver downfield. Bollinger is battling with Jamie Martin for the third quarterback position.

On defense the team was led by Sam Cowart who is flourishing at Middle Linebacker, Cowart finished the game with 12 tackles and his second interception of the preseason. First round draft choice, Boss Bailey recorded a sack and knocked down two of Carson Palmer's passes to help the defense bounce back from the thumping they took a week ago at Tampa.

The are home for New Orleans next week.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:01 PM   #49
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Preseason Game 3

New Orleans at New York

New Orleans 7 3 7 3 - 20
New York 7 7 0 3 - 17

The Jets looked sharp to start the game with Pennington at the helm. The team took their first two drives of the game in for touchdowns. Then Pennington handed the reins to Jamie Martin, who is competing for a roster spot. Martin completed 18 of 31 passes for 130 yards, but was intercepted 3 times. New Orleans converted one of the Jets turnovers for points, a late first half field goal, but the backbreaker was Victor Green's interception return for a 78 yard touchdown, and New Orleans first lead of the game, 17-14. The two would exchange late game field goals, and New Orleans held on for the victory.

On defense, the Jets played the run well, holding New Orleans to an average of 3.1 yards per carry. Overall, New Orleans had 249 yards in total offense. Rookie Defensive Tackle, Ty Warren had 6 tackles and 1.5 sacks for the game. Sam Cowart led the team with 13 tackles. The Jets visit the New York Giants next week.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:47 AM   #50
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Preseason Game 4

New York Jets at New York Giants

NY Jets 14 0 14 3 - 31
NY Giants 0 13 0 7 - 20

The New York Jets came out and beat up their cross-town rivals, the Giants by a score of 31-20. The Jets looked sharp early, especially Pennington, who completed 12 of 14 passes for 93 yards and 2 touchdowns. Bollinger continued his surprising play, completing 11 of 13 passes for 91 yards and 1 touchdown. Chad Morton got the his most work since USC, carrying the ball 16 times for 64 yards. Rookie wide out Tyrone Calico caught 8 balls for 74 yards.

The defense held the Giants to 337 yards, unfortunately the Giants did have a set back, Kerry Collins while attempting to throw a pass was hit and dislocated his elbow. Collins is expected to miss at least the first half of the season.

The Jets conclude their preseason next week in Philadelphia.