Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2004, 09:37 AM   #51
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I thought Eli Manning set a new straight-completions record earlier this season? (or was it last season?) Something like 26 in a row. Maybe I'm wrong...

At any rate, this is good stuff Ardent. I'm looking forward to reading more, and seeing how you do once you get to SEC games.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:53 PM   #52
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I awake on Sunday morning quite sore. More so than I ever recall being. I'm extremely beat and exhausted. The first thing that pops in my mind is that I need to go see the game film of yesterday's game and start preparing for Syracuse.

My roommate shatters that thought for the moment.

"Have you seen your car?", asks receiver Aaron Moser, my roommate.

"Obviously not." I respond. Aaron likes to play this cat and mouse game with things he knows; things he knows that I don't.

"I hope you like the open air..." responds my friend.

"Say what?"

That got my attention. I throw on some clothes and run out to the parking lot. My passenger window is shattered, and my UT student ID card is gone.

"Guess someone wants a souvenir" remarks Moser, "You might want to check EBay in a few days".

"Thanks, hater, see if I throw you the ball in the near future."

"Like that would be much of a change."

I spend part of my morning with the police and then getting a new student ID.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:10 PM   #53
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Later that day, I finally get to watch yesterday's film and start watching game film on Syracuse.

Coach Fulmer points out that when I fumbled I could have thrown the ball away instead. Someone remarks that it would have ruined my perfect day, and the room is filled with laughter.

Coach Fulmer even chuckles a bit and we continue to dissect the game. I listened intently through the whole game; I figure I have a whole lot to learn, even when I'm not on the field.

Syracuse looked very tough. Ranked 7th in the nation last week, won yesterday, 34-3. The defense had 3 INTs and 3 sacks in the game. They flew to the ball and did a good job stopping both the run and the pass.

The best news is that we left the Cal game injury free. All our weapons will be back for this tough non conference game. We hear that Renaldo James, a starting ILB for Syracuse is questionable for the game.

That's always good to hear.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:25 PM   #54
Poli
FOFC Survivor

During the week, we find out that our matchup has been chosen for ESPN Gameday's Game of the Week, and we'll be shown on National Television, "TV1".

We stay ranked 5th, while Syracuse has leapfrogged in bounds to 7th. I'm not a betting man, but I'm told the line is actually for Syracuse by 3.

Syracuse ran a 3-4 against Southern Mississippi, but we expect more 8 man fronts like Cal ran against us. We look to run a little more inside because of this. We're likely to face a weaker front if they do that.

Further review of the game film shows that Syracuse, despite the interceptions, has a fairly weak secondary. Southern Miss just failed to capitalize on their mistakes. Not that I'm blessed with a golden arm, but we hope to take a few shots against them. The linebackers are perhaps the best unit on the team, while apparently the defensive line is anchored by a stud DE. We've paid special attention to him in our blocking schemes this week.

Our game plan remains the same. Get the ball to J.B. We're looking to run a little more option, with emphasis on pitching the ball. We're also trying to get Watson involved a little more. He'll be the man next season at tailback, after all. Of course, we have our screens and play action passes sprinkled in, along with very few actual drop back passes.

We've junked most of our trick plays for this week, since we figure Syracuse to be more disciplined than Cal, but Coach Fulmer kept the option reverse and TE reverse in the game plan; just in case.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:57 PM   #55
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Weather is a non factor in the Carrier Dome. Despite that, it's a nice day outside.

It's incredibly loud in the Carrier Dome. I wasn't quite expecting it. The enclosed atmosphere adds to the noise, I suppose. It won't matter much, though, to our offense. I didn't call one audible in the last game, and I haven't been given the liberty of doing so for this game, either. We go on "1" most of the time; going on "2" or more in hopes of getting the other team to jump offsides on occassion.

Because we're injury free, we'll field the same starting lineup as last week.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:07 PM   #56
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The captains return from midfield with the news that we have won the toss (again) and elected to receive (again). Note to self: Talk to coach about this "going on offense first" thing. Perhaps I've dazzled him with my stats and he's forgotten I'm a walk on.

The kickoff is a touchback and the starting O heads onto the field. This time, we stick with what was predetermined: HB dive featuring J.B. Brewster. A lineman slips through and drops Brewster for a 2 yard loss, though. The call from the sideline is to run the play again; we do, and this time get a 2 yard gain.

3rd and 10 from the UT20, and we've called an option to the right, with a long count. Syracuse jumps offside and we get five free yards. We change the play to a play action pass designed for WR Castleberry, but I float the ball, and the Syracuse DB swats the ball away with ease.

Wheeler comes out and punts the ball away; a very good 51 yard punt, SI. The return gives Syracuse the ball at the S33, with 13:30 left to play in the first quarter.

Syracuse can't muster offense on their first drive either; going 3 and out. The punt is fair catched at the UT34 by CB Serra, with 11:08 left in the first quarter.

Looks like we're in for a smash mouth slugfest today. Syracuse came out with the 8 man fronts similar to Cal; but the results were obviously different.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:21 PM   #57
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Wheeler comes out and punts the ball away; a very good 51 yard punt, SI.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:19 PM   #58
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Have they considered just hiking to the half back and putting another blocker in?
Old 01-13-2004, 06:32 PM   #59
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Afoci
Have they considered just hiking to the half back and putting another blocker in?

They considered going to the single wing...but likened it moving to North Dakota.

Draw your own conclusion.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:33 PM   #60
Poli
FOFC Survivor

With the ball on the UT34, we decide to pound some more at the Syracuse middle. Brewster gains a yard on a trap up the middle, and then we run the companion play action pass. I come out of the fake throwing to the TE Witt, but the safety broke up the play.

3rd and 9, and we run a drop back pass. I hit the FB Prescott in the flat, and he gets the 9 we need and 2 more, giving us a 1st and 10 at the UT46.

We go to th middle again for a couple of yards, but RG Washington is called for holding. We felt good about the play, and ran it again, this time for 8. On second down, we try another play action pass, this time to Prescott. It's broken up as well.

3rd and 12, and I'm told to have both the TE and SE to run fade routes.

"Power I right, split right, double fade on 1, ready, break!"

I get to the line, and notice the loose man coverage. This may not work so well.

I take the snap and look to Witt, but lob the ball over the top to the SE, Everett. There is a collision in the air, and the ball drops to the ground. A flag comes flying in.

The call? Defensive pass interference, and a first down! The penalty gives us 15 yards.

1st and 10 on the Syracuse 41 and we decide to run outside with Brewster; sweep style. Sweep left gains 4, sweep right is a no gainer. 3rd and 6 and we head left with a toss. Brewster picks up 2 and it's 4th and 4 on the Syracuse 35.

It's decision time in Tennessee. Do we kick or go for it?

Coach Fulmer decides to let us go for it, and we call an option right.

The DE closes down quickly and I pitch to Brewster hastily. Brewster cuts inside off tackle and gains 7, thanks to a great block by T Bubba Spangler.

1st and 10 on the 28, and we try a play action pass off the sweep action. After I turn around from the fake, I'm greeted by the DE; who is closing quickly on me. I lob the ball to the sideline, knowing full well I won't complete the ball, and I'm flagged for intentional grounding. Turns out I didn't get the ball past the line of scrimmage. A loss of 9 on the play.

Back to the 37, and I throw the ball out to Prescott in the flat. He breaks a tackle and gains 12, giving us 3rd and 7 on the 25. Fulmer goes conservative and we run off the left guard with Brewster for a yard, and kick a 41 yard field goal by Alston.

The kick gives us a 3-0 lead with 6:01 left in the first quarter of play.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:52 PM   #61
Poli
FOFC Survivor

While Syracuse has the ball, I'm asked by the offensive coordinator what the problem seems to be in moving the ball.

I let him know that the defense seems ten times faster and the contain defender is all over me; fake or not.

We haven't had much success at all moving the ball with the exception of throwing the ball underneath into the flats. Running the ball and our play action game have both been shut down effectively thus far.

Our coordinator then shows our offensive line that we "need a seal here, and a seal here to spring Brewster for a long gain.

We break from the group and I get some water. I come up to the sideline and see Syracuse has brought the ball up to midfield, but the drive has faltered.

CB Billmaier calls a fair catch at the UT 17, with 57 seconds left in the first quarter.

Coach Fulmer sends us out onto the field with an option right call. Syracuse strings us out, and I pitch late to Brewster, who ends up losing a yard.

For second down, we send Brewster out of the backfield in motion, and throw him the ball on a post pattern. The play is good for 12 and a first down at the UT29 and ends the first quarter.

At the end of the 1st quarter, UT 3, Syracuse 0
Old 01-13-2004, 08:03 PM   #62
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We head back out onto the field to start the 2nd quarter with our "seal here, and a seal here" play, and Brewster takes the ball upfield for 15; thanks in part to a great block by our C Peters, who folded and blocked out the OLB.

1st and 10 at the UT43 and we run the play action pass off the seal play. It works, and Witt rumbles upfield for 11.

First down at the Syracuse 46 and Brewster gets the ball off LG for 4. We follow that with an option to the right side for 9 and we move the chains again.

We test the right side with an option again and we get 5, this time with the freshman HB Mason. 2nd and 5 on the Syracuse 28, and we call a screen to Prescott. It works well, and Prescott is dropped just past the marker for a gain of 6.

First down at the 22 and we give to Brewster again, this time off right guard. We get a solid 5, and Peters simply runs over a defensive lineman to create the hole.

We follow with a play action pass to Witt that is knocked away by a defender, and a botched screen to Prescott thanks to pressure by a DE.

Alston comes back out and kicks a 34 yard field goal, giving UT a 6-0 lead with 10:36 left in the 2nd quarter.

Last edited by Poli : 01-13-2004 at 08:19 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:17 PM   #63
Poli
FOFC Survivor

This game certainly isn't going as well as last week's. This defense seems to get to the ball rather quickly.

Fortunately, their offense doesn't seem to be in sync. They mount a short drive but end up punting, with Serra (ed note: Every time I type this name I think of Serra Angel from the Magic card game...good times) returning the ball to the UT24.

That's where we set up shop with 7:17 left in the half.

Two carries by Brewster give us 5 and 2 yards, respectively, and a screen to the FB Jordan gets us 7 and a first down at the UT38.

An option to the left side is strung out, but Brewster takes the pitch and heads up field for 6. Brewster then takes a handoff up the middle for 2, setting up a 3rd and 2 on the UT46.

Perfect time for a reverse, and Everett just barely gets us the needed yards with a gain of 3.

Option right and I keep the ball for a gain of 2. A handoff to Brewster nets 4. Option left and again I keep the ball, falling short of the first down by 1 yard.

We look to the sideline, but the punt team comes out. Wheeler drops a 34 yarder inside the 20, but the return leaves the ball at the UT20 with 2:11 left in the half.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:32 PM   #64
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Syracuse takes the ball and lights off their 2 minute offense.

The good news is they need 80 yards. The bad news is that they get it. TD, Syracuse. The XP puts them up, 7-6, with 58 seconds left in the half.

The first score on our defense for the season, and we're losing.

The kickoff from Syracuse is a touchback, and we head out to the 20 with three receivers, a TE, and Mason in the backfield.

I hit Witt on a post pattern, and he's drug down 27 yards later. It eats up a lot of clock, but apparently Coach Fulmer doesn't think we'll score regardless and doesn't call a time out.

An incomplete pass to Mason in the flat, and an incomplete to Everett on a hail mary finish out the half.

At the half, it's Syracuse 7, Tennessee 6

And now...for your half time entertainment...The Afoci...
Old 01-13-2004, 10:21 PM   #65
tucker342
Pro Starter

Not quite as good as last week.... but hey, at least you're not being blown out!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:57 AM   #66
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker342
Not quite as good as last week.... but hey, at least you're not being blown out!

Definitely a tight game. You're right, I'm glad we're not blown out. Our defense really seems to be able to handle the load. 6 quarters of play and only 1 TD allowed.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:04 AM   #67
Poli
FOFC Survivor

In the locker room, an argument breaks out about who blew the coverage that allowed the touchdown, but it is silenced quickly.

Fulmer praises the defense for their work thus far; this is a team that scored over 30 last week. He lets them know we're going to really need their help if we're going to win this.

The team breaks into smaller groups and our offensive coordinator takes charge of the offense. We go over what has worked and what hasn't. Syracuse has done a good job shutting down our running attack, but we're committed to running the ball and we won't shut that down. I'm asked if I feel comfortable out there throwing.

"As long as it's not play action", I respond, "they're all over when it's play action. Drop back passes seem to be working OK."

Before I know it, our time in the locker room is done, and it's time to go back out onto the field.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:14 AM   #68
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Syracuse gets the ball first in the second half, and the defense responded to Coach Fulmer's words at half time. Syracuse is forced to punt after 3 plays, and the ball rolls out of bounds at the UT 43 with 13:12 left in the third quarter.

Great field position for the Vols; we need to capitalize here.

We run an option left on the first play, and Syracuse smothers Brewster. I turn it upfield and get 2 yards before getting dropped. We turn it around and run the option to the right. This time I pitch to Brewster, but this time he loses 2 yards.

3rd and 10; we motion Prescott out of the backfield and throw the ball to him on a slant pattern. It works perfectly, and he gains 15 yards before going down at the Syracuse 42. First down!

We give the ball to Brewster on a counter play to the left side for 2, and then a screen to the freshman Watson for 8 gives us another first. An option to the left gets us another first as Brewster takes the pitch and gets 10.

1st and 10 on the Syracuse 22, and we run the option left again, this time with Watson for 3. On second down, we try play action to Everett, but the play is broken up. 3rd down and 7, we run the ball off tackle to set the ball in a better spot for the kicker Alston. We gain 2, putting the ball at midfield on the Syracuse 17.

I watch from the sideline as Alston misses wide right and the FG unit returns down trodden. My heart sinks (ed note: and it did when I simmed the game).

With 8:30 left in the 3rd quarter; Syracuse 7, Tennessee 6.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:22 AM   #69
Poli
FOFC Survivor

My heart sunk when Alston missed the kick, and it sunk a little further as the Syracuse offense mounts a successful drive and lands a field goal for their trouble.

2:54 left in the 3rd quarter; Syracuse 10, Tennessee 6.

A nice return on the kickoff is negated by a holding call, and we head out to the UT16. 17 minutes left to win this game is all I can think of, and we're not going to do it inside our 20. You can sense an urgency in our huddle, and on our sideline. Can we get it done? Can the offense come through? We need a touchdown; field goals are worthless now.

Brewster gets 4 on a toss to the 20 yard line, and a hard count draws a defender offside, making it 2nd and 1. Perfect time for a deep ball, but unfortunately Washington allows a sack, and I am dropped for a loss of five. The first time I've ever been sacked and it couldn't have came at a worse time. 3rd and 6 and a screen to Jordan gets a first down plus 3 to the UT29.

Brewster ends the 4th quarter with a 5 yard gain up the middle.

At the end of the 3rd quarter, Syracuse 10, Tennessee 6.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:30 AM   #70
Poli
FOFC Survivor

An option to the right is our first call of the fourth quarter, and Brewster takes the pitch upfield for a gain of 7, and a 1st down at the UT41.

Brewster gets 5 yards on the next carry and dropped for no gain on the next; both plays up the middle. 3rd and 5; I hit WR Castleberry over the middle for a gain of 11 to the Syracuse 43. Witt follows that with a 15 yard reception over the middle as well.

1st and 10 on the Syracuse 28. The defense is reeling. We send them to the sideline when I hit Witt again on a post pattern. Witt breaks the tackle of the safety and rumbles in for the TD!

The UT sideline celebrates as Alston hits the XP.

11:39 left in the 4th quarter; Tennessee 13, Syracuse 10
Old 01-14-2004, 09:37 AM   #71
The_herd
College Starter

And the tension mounts.....
Old 01-14-2004, 09:51 AM   #72
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_herd
And the walk-on QB mounts an assorted animal.....

Thanks. Halftime entertainment over.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:52 AM   #73
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Once again we watch in fear from the sideline as Syracuse apparently has found a weak spot in our defense. We try everything we can, but nothing we can do stops them.

Syracuse drives the ball down the field for the touchdown, retaking the lead.

With 7:10 left in the 4th; Syracuse 17, Tennessee 13.

After a touchback on the kickoff, the Tennessee offense takes over on the 20.

A pass to Prescott in the flat nets 12 and a first down; but an option gone wrong results in a yard loss for Brewster. We turn it around with an option left. Brewster cuts upfield quickly with ball and gets 7 before being tackled.

3rd and 4 from the UT38. Another pass out to the reliable Prescott in the flat results in a gain of 10 and another critical first down.

We continue our assault on the Syracuse offense, running and passing; eating up as much of the clock as humanly possible and hoping to exploit something in the defense to get a touchdown.

An option left nets 2 for Brewster, followed by a 11 yard catch on a curl pattern by Everett to the Syracuse 39.

A counter play for Brewster results in no gain, but Mason gets 9 on a flat pass. 3rd and 1, and we run an option to the right side. Brewster takes the pitch and lunges forward. It's close, and I think we got it, but the referees are going to have to measure it.

I watch in disbelief as we fall a few chain links short of the first. 4th and chain links, and I signal to the coaches just how far we have to go. With the ball on the 30 and just over 3 minutes left, there is no choice. We have to go for it.

Brewster gets the call, right up the gut, and he responds. He breaks a tackle at the line and surges forward, with a gaggle of defenders on top of him. He finally topples over at the 25.

It worked so well, we try to move the ball up the middle two more times with Brewster but the defense responds to the challenge and it's 3rd and 10. Syracuse sends out their defensive backs for a nickel defense.

A pass to a wide open Castleberry which would have resulted in a first down is underthrown, and I look to the sideline for help. It's 4th and 10. We don't get this and it's over.

Syracuse sends out another DB to get into a dime coverage, and backs the defenders way off. We're lined up in a bunch look on the right side.

Everett gets clear of the other two receivers, rubbing off his defender as he cuts across the field. I hit him in stride as he crosses the first down marker and he gets 10 more before being stopped!

First and goal at the 5! I did it, I did it! WOW!!!

Back to the Power I and back to an 8 man front for Syracuse. We go for a fade on the first play to Everett, and he catches the ball in the corner of the endzone with the defender draped all over him. Touchdown, Tennessee!

The crowd is silent as the Tennessee players celebrate. Alston kicks the XP, but there is plenty of time left on the clock.

With 1:16 left in the game; Tennessee 20, Syracuse 17.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:02 AM   #74
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Alston boots the ball through the endzone and Syracuse must go 80 yards in 76 seconds for the win, and perhaps 50 yards for the tie.

Syracuse throws an incomplete pass. (1:09)
Syracuse completes a pass for 54 yards to the UT26. (0:49) Shoot me now, please.
Run up the middle for 1 to the UT25. TO, Syracuse. (0:39)
Run up the middle for a loss of 3 to the UT28. TO, Syracuse. (0:27)
Run up the middle for a loss of 2 to the UT30. Penalty, Tennessee, Unnecessary Roughness, Ball placed at the UT15. (0:17)
Run outside RE for a gain of 4 to the UT11. TO, Syracuse. (0:05)
28 yard FG is good.

End of regulation, Syracuse 20, Tennessee 20.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:08 AM   #75
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Coach Fulmer was livid for the defender to get a penalty on that drive. What would have been a 47 yard field goal resulted in a 28 yard chip shot.

Can't cry about that now.

Syracuse wins the toss and elects to go on defense first.

We go out to the Syracuse 25 looking to provide a steady dose of Brewster.

Brewster sweeps left for 7, and then takes a trap up the middle for 9 to the 9 yard line. Syracuse comes strong and stops Brewster on the next play for a 2 yard loss, but it doesn't stop our spirit. We give to Brewster again, this time of left guard for a gain of 8 to the 3 yard line.

Syracuse nearly sends everyone; which makes my fade pass to Everett that much sweeter. No one is even remotely close to him as he catches the ball near the corner of the endzone.

Alston adds the extra point, as we're now regulated to watching our defense and hoping they don't let us down again.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:13 AM   #76
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Syracuse comes out to the 25 and tries to drive us off the line as well. It doesn't work for them, however. They lose a yard on the first play, and the second play results in no gain.

3rd and 11, and the Syracuse QB drops back to throw. We bring both safeties, and he's flushed from the pocket. He gains 2 before stepping out of bounds.

4th and 9; ball on the 24. Pass. The Syracuse QB drops back, scans the defense, can't find anyone open, the DE Stanton pressures the QB, who throws the ball to a receiver a little earlier than he wanted. The result? Incomplete!

Tennessee wins, 27-20! On national television, the Vols pull off a tremendous victory on the road! Wow!
Old 01-14-2004, 06:37 PM   #77
tucker342
Pro Starter

wow. What a game! Great job telling the story, you had me on the edge of my seat!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:34 PM   #78
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nice thread! If my power would have went out before reading it all, I would have kicked my monitor!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 02:59 AM   #79
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Great game !

A bit of advice for you, fire your kicker ! he makes that easy FG in the 3rd Q and voila, no need for OT...
Old 01-15-2004, 11:43 PM   #80
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Thanks guys. I kept telling myself that nothing better happen to my pc during this game. It takes almost an hour to sim, as I write down notes in between plays, which means I run the plays slow, and pause after each. Defense goes by a little quicker...at least I don't have to pause too much.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:59 PM   #81
Poli
FOFC Survivor

In the locker room after the game, Coach Fulmer awards me with the game ball. I don't know what to say. I felt Brewster or Everett were probably more deserving.

The flight home was sweet. I was "floating" on cloud nine. It's hard not to let this success get to my head. I know I really am only as good as my teammates, and if I was on any team but UT right now and in a similar situation, I probably wouldn't be very successful.

Sunday rolled around and this time I wasn't just sore. This time I was beaten, scuffed up, and sore. Still being 2-0 when everyone expects you to lose...you can't beat that.

Viewing the tape on Sunday it was clear that Syracuse was focused on stopping the run and play action pass. We ran it at them quite a bit during the whole game. Once we realized that play action just wasn't going to work, we went with a 3 and 5 step passing game when we need to and got most of our yards for the game. I knew going in that Syracuse's defensive backfield was their weakest link, but I didn't think I'd have that great of a game against them.

What surprised me was Syracuse's play in the middle. Time after time we plunged in the middle expecting them to be soft with rather inexperienced players there. We were stuffed on most occassions.

It's an off week for the team, so we'll do some conditioning, but we won't get ready for Northwestern for a while. Regardless, I"ll be watching tape of the Wildcats for the next two weeks.

Later in the week, I'm totally shocked to see my photo on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

"Walk On: Ardent Enthustiast Leads Vols past Syracuse" is the caption as it shows me throwing the ball.

Everywhere I go now, fans are asking me to sign their copy. Never in a million years would I have guessed this would happen.

Northwestern is a horrible team this year. 0-1 for the season, and they were scrubbed by Georgia Tech, 45-15. Tech ran over 40 times for 190 yards in the game, and I'm sure Coach Fulmer is ready to carve up the defense with J.B. Brewster. Heck, Mason may get a hundred before the game is over.

Northwestern didn't stop the pass, either. They allowed 300 in the air, and the 3rd completion % against the defense was 50%. I like the looks of these numbers.

They do however, play Duke this weekend, so maybe their team will turn it around. Northwestern is ranked 105 overall.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:23 AM   #82
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Go Vols!

Damn.. I wouldn't have butterflies in a situation like that...

THE BUTTERFLIES WOULD BE HAVING ME
Old 01-16-2004, 12:06 PM   #83
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Guys: This dynasty will not likely be updated until Tuesday. I just found out I have Monday off, so I'm going home for the weekend. Cheers!
Old 01-16-2004, 12:24 PM   #84
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Guys: This dynasty will not likely be updated until Tuesday. I just found out I have Monday off, so I'm going home for the weekend. Cheers!

Just like the real UT team, take the weekends off.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:22 PM   #85
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Outstanding work, Ardent. Can't wait to read more!

Crim
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 05:47 PM   #86
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Darn good stuff
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 10:10 AM   #87
Poli
FOFC Survivor

For our performances against Syracuse, J.B. Brewster, T Bubba Spangler, and I are all named players of the week.

It's really not all that big of a deal. Lots of players get named player of the week.

Stats for this week:
Code:
Tennessee Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 48 Brewster 40 142 3.5 15 0 15 AE 4 2 0.5 3 0 49 Mason 2 8 4.0 5 0 82 Everett 1 3 3.0 3 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int 15 AE 29 20 242 8.3 28 3 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 43 Prescott 5 51 10.2 34 12 0 95 Witt 4 81 20.2 60 28 1 82 Everett 4 39 9.7 22 20 2 48 Brewster 2 27 13.5 10 15 0 32 Jordan 2 16 8.0 10 9 0 49 Mason 2 17 8.5 8 9 0 8 Castleberry 1 11 11.0 3 11 0

I nearly forgot our punter.

Wheeler had 2 punts for 85 yards. A long of 51 and 1 inside the 20, SI.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:20 AM   #88
Pro Rookie

Hey everybody, AE 's back !!!
Old 01-21-2004, 10:28 AM   #89
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Season stats after 2 games:

Code:
Player Pos Team GP GS Att Cmp Pct Yards Avg Lg TD Int Sck Yards Rating AE QB TENN 2 2 38 29 76.3 355 9.34 29 4 0 1 5 189.4 Schroeder, Terry QB TENN 1 0 10 6 60.0 83 8.30 24 1 0 2 10 162.7 Player Pos Team GP GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD Brewster, J.B. RB TENN 2 2 64 304 4.7 21 1 Mason, Brandon RB TENN 2 0 20 92 4.6 23 1 Schroeder, Terry QB TENN 1 0 5 9 1.8 19 0 AE QB TENN 2 2 7 15 2.1 10 0 Everett, Steven WR TENN 2 2 2 9 4.5 6 1 Bedford, Terrell RB TENN 2 0 2 6 3.0 6 0 Player Pos Team GP GS Targ Ctch Yards Avg YAC Lg TD Prescott, Roman FB TENN 2 2 10 8 85 10.6 69 18 0 Witt, Dominic TE TENN 2 2 8 6 116 19.3 72 28 1 Brewster, J.B. RB TENN 2 2 5 5 56 11.2 25 15 1 Everett, Steven WR TENN 2 2 7 5 49 9.8 28 20 2 Jordan, Willie FB TENN 2 2 5 4 32 8.0 21 14 0 Castleberry, Terry WR TENN 2 0 6 2 40 20.0 3 29 0 Mason, Brandon RB TENN 2 0 4 2 17 8.5 8 9 0 Witt, Monty TE TENN 1 0 1 1 16 16.0 7 16 0 Kolodzik, Thomas TE TENN 2 0 1 1 16 16.0 26 16 1 Bedford, Terrell RB TENN 2 0 1 1 11 11.0 1 11 0 Player Pos Team Punt Yards Avg Lg In20 Wheeler, Daniel P TENN 6 241 40.1 51 4
Old 01-21-2004, 10:31 AM   #90
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies
Hey everybody, AE 's back !!!

Yep, I got in yesterday afternoon, and went to class. I was totally exhausted afterward (up since 4:30 am, I drove 6 hours to Chicago, and had a 6 hour class almost immediately afterward).

I'm looking forward to getting the Northwestern game done today/tonight, and posting it tonight/tomorrow morning.

Go Vols!
Old 01-21-2004, 10:40 AM   #91
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Glad you made it back ok. Too bad you didn't get to come over and see my first ever FOF Championship.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 10:47 AM   #92
Poli
FOFC Survivor

With the week off, most of my teammates gathered to watch a game of football instead of play. ESPN and company was at Kansas State for the National Game of the Week. It was quite nice to see Arizona State come in and beat them.

We were hoping to see the Northwestern-Duke game, but it wasn't televised. Northwestern rolled over Duke, 31-3. Looks like they're not as weak as we first thought. At least we'll see plenty of game film on them.

The latest polls have us ranked 2nd in the nation, behind Ohio State.

Code:
School Record Conf Rank Ohio State 2-0 B10 1 **Tennessee 2-0 SEC 2 Texas 1-0 B12 3 Oklahoma 2-0 B12 4 Florida State 1-0 ACC 5 Nebraska 3-0 B12 6 Washington 1-0 PAC 7 Alabama 1-0 SEC 8 Colorado State 2-0 MOU 9 Georgia Tech 2-0 ACC 10 Stanford 2-0 PAC 11 UCLA 2-0 PAC 12 Miami 2-0 BEA 13 Arkansas 2-0 SEC 14 Oregon 2-0 PAC 15 Washington State 2-0 PAC 16 Penn State 1-0 B10 17 Arizona State 2-0 PAC 18 Purdue 2-0 B10 19 South Carolina 1-0 SEC 20 Pittsburgh 2-0 BEA 21 South Florida 2-0 USA 22 Maryland 3-0 ACC 23 Virginia 2-0 ACC 24 Brigham Young 2-0 MOU 25

I'm not exactly sure why we keep moving up in the polls, but I imagine it has to do with the voter confidence in me changing.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:47 AM   #93
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Glad you made it back ok. Too bad you didn't get to come over and see my first ever FOF Championship.

Todd

Or the voting of MVP.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:54 AM   #94
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Game film showed that Northwestern's defense really dominated the Duke offense. The unit forced 2 turnovers and 6 sacks.

Duke's not that great of a team, anyway, and the game was in the rain. Duke's running game was non existent through the whole game as well.

NU used a lot of 8 man fronts to stop Duke, and we are fortunate to see how they used it. Since it was so successful against Duke, we naturally believe they'll try it against us as well.

We, however, have a running game. I don't believe Northwestern will stand much of a chance against us.

We've put in all the trick plays again, and the practice week has been a little relaxed. We're expecting to roll over NU the way they rolled over Duke.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:01 AM   #95
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Blessed with no injuries, it appears our starting lineup will remain the same for the Northwestern game.

Fortunately, the game is at home and we won't have to make a road trip to Chicago. Unfortunately, it's raining very heavily in the Knoxville area and this game might get a little sloppy. As long as I can hand the ball off cleanly, I don't see much of a problem.

The game will be shown on local television, "TV 5". Unless you're from Tennessee, chances are you won't get to see the game.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:12 AM   #96
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The game will be shown on local television, "TV 5". Unless you're from Tennessee, chances are you won't get to see the game.

We'll just have to listen to it on FOFC Radio...
Old 01-21-2004, 11:56 AM   #97
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We'll be playing in front of another sold out Neyland stadium crowd. I absolutely love it here. Running throught the T has always been a dream of mine. I'll have another couple of turns at it before my career is over.

It's 51 degrees today, and despite the all day rain, the field is in pretty good shape. It's slippery, but there are no signs of puddles. That's too bad; some of the best games of all time were played in the rain and mud. It doesn't appear we'll be mud slinging today.

Northwestern wins the toss; the first time all season we've lost the coin toss. They elect to receive, and I'll get to watch the opening drive this time instead of playing it.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:03 PM   #98
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The kickoff by the kicker Alston goes deep into the endzone, but the NU returner brings the ball out. The Vol coverage unit clamps down on him; shutting him down at the NU16. Not the wisest of moves.

The Wildcats throw us for a loop. They gain 10 yards on two plays and appear to be moving the ball quite well.

On their third play, the QB fakes a handoff and throws deep to a receiver at about midfield. Streaking over and intercepting the pass is the safety J.R. Blades who heads upfield to the Northwestern 17 before being tackled.

Momentum is ours, and the offense heads out onto the field with 13:30 left in the 1st quarter.

We had sort of a trick play for the first play designed. We ran up the middle against Syracuse on the first play last week. We're going to fake the run up the middle, and I'll carry the ball on a trap over the right side.

What I didn't expect is that the Wildcat defense had a trick in mind for us as well.

Last edited by Poli : 01-21-2004 at 12:14 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 12:13 PM   #99
Poli
FOFC Survivor

As in defense. This is not what we prepared for.

The 50 defense is a good run defending option, although it's not as good as the 8 man. The 50 gives you five down linemen, but typically the two outside linemen are stand up linebackers. It provides a little more flexibility in coverages. Maybe they're afraid of my weak arm after watching the Syracuse game.

I'm not allowed to call audibles yet; but it doesn't mean I can't wait to snap the ball.

I take a step away from our center Peters, and look over the defense. This will throw a wrench in our plans until we figure out a way to counter this change.

With about 5 seconds left on the play clock, I take the snap and fake to Brewster. The fake is effective, and I turn upfield with the ball in my belly. G Washington paves the way and I am dropped 6 yards downfield at the NU11.

Castleberry brings in the play, a dive to RB J.B. Brewster, and I tell everyone we're going to try and buy some time and go with the hard count. The play is on three. It works like a charm; a NU defender was anxious and jumped offsides.

1st and goal at the 6, and this time we run the dive on 1. Northwestern creates an effective pile and we end up with no gain.

2nd and goal and the play called is an option left. NU strings us out, and I pitch to Brewster late. Brewster finds a hole and cuts upfield for the touchdown! The G Raymond had pulled on the play and created the hole.

Alston adds the extra point, and it's 7-0 UT with 12:26 left in the first quarter.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:28 PM   #100
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The kickoff is deep and this time the returner stays in the endzone.

Smart move.

I thank Blades before he heads out for the opportunity, and the defense heads out to the field.

I speak with our offensive coordinator about what I just saw. Another thing the Wildcats can do with the 50 defense is bring blitzers from all sorts of angles. On the last drive they brought a corner and safety on one play. We begin to come up with a plan when I'm told it's time to go onto the field again.

S Melvin Briggs just intercepted the ball at the NU37, and was tackled immediately. I scramble to put on my helmet and head out onto the field. I look to the clock and it reads 11:43.

Wow, the defense certainly wasted no time. Due to the quickness of the turnover, we have to run out a play.

Brewster ends up coming in with the play call, a run up the middle for him.
The stunned NU defense is run over. Brewster is tackled 19 yards downfield and T Bubba Spangler absolutely crushed a linebacker to help spring him.

First and 10 on the NU18, and we try the middle again, but there's nothing there this time. Time for the play action, I think; and I'm right. Fulmer calls for a play action pass off the dive fake, and it works perfectly. WR Steven Everett makes the catch at the 12 and is hauled down at the 8 for the first down.

The call from the sideline is for a counter off the right side, and I decide to go with the long count again. It works, as the same defender jumps offsides; First and goal at the 4. We come back to the line with the same play, but Brewster is stopped for no gain.

We love play action at Tennessee, and that's what the next play from the sideline is. It's almost a lock that if you stop us on a play we'll run a play action off of it on the very next. The play action on our counter play has the tight end fake being defeated on a block and crossing the field, hopefully alone.

The play works perfectly; the Wildcat defense drops Brewster to the ground quickly and then I lob the ball to the goal line, into the waiting arms of TE Dominic Witt.

Touchdown, Tennessee. Alston adds the extra point.

14-0 UT, with 9:32 left in the 1st quarter.