Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2005, 05:43 AM   #1
Dunleavy
High School JV

Buying a car

have a 97 Ford tarus GL, insteading of fixing a pricey problem, i have decided to get another car. just seeing what the board has to say about cars, their cars, whats good whats bad, pretty open topic.

i had an old Acura Legend b4, enjoyed it so i may go back for a newer one

Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:47 AM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Just bought a 2005 Subura Outback about a month ago. Love it. Great car.

If you're looking for a new car, I'd reccommend www.cars.com. It's a wealth of knowledge and will really allow you to get a good sense of what is out there, decent prices, and reviews. We spent a few weeks doing quite a bit of research before buying and felt pretty prepared and knowledgable when we pulled off the deal.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

An investment in a new car is probably reason enough to pay for information from Consumer Reports. They offer a pretty reliable set of information about both initial quality and resale value. A broader sampling than you're likely to get, say, here.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:23 AM   #4
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If we're giving resource recommendations, I cannot recommend edmunds.com highly enough. Go have a look, and I'm sure you'll find lots of good advice.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
Swaggs
Coordinator

Do you need 4x4 or AWD?

How much room do you need (have a family w/ kids?)?

Price range?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I had a friend in the car biz, and he said that the only used car lot that he would consider trusting is CarMax. It's not that they won't screw you, but that they are slightly less likely to screw you than any dealership/random used car lot.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:44 AM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

To echo the statements above, we also checked out edmunds.com and hit the library and reviewed Consumer Reports. All those sources were great. It's a big investment and worth a little time.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 02-14-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:55 AM   #8
Franklinnoble
Banned

Buy certified used - preferably something that still has some warranty left on it. You get an almost-new car, without taking a nice rectal dose of depreciation.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:33 PM   #9
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Buy certified used - preferably something that still has some warranty left on it. You get an almost-new car, without taking a nice rectal dose of depreciation.

I sold cars for about a year and have to say that you are wrong. If you don't get a nice rectal dose of depreciation from a used car, try turning around and trading it in at another dealership right after you buy it. And with what gets passed off as "certified" would not impress most people.

You get reemed either way. The only way you will get a "great" deal is if the dealership is closing in on a goal that will get a big bonus from the manufacturer.

Also, Consumer Reports did an article within the past year-and-a-half (since I've had a subscription) that found that car warranties are a pretty big waste of money. They said the only warranties worth buying were on mobile electronics (ie: laptops, MP3 players, etc.). Most car warranties cover only selected problems (as I'm sure folks have found out), so it is a safer bet to put your $1200-$2000 in the bank and use it on repairs if needed.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #10
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I am getting a Chevy Equinox in about a month. Trading up from a 95 Caravan

If the auto show is going to be in your area, go! You can sometimes pick up dealer rebates/certificates worth up to $500 just for giving your name & address and appearing interested in that brand of vehicle.

General Motors also gives certificates to their employees(im sure the other companies do as well) that anyone can use to buy a car at roughly 3% above dealer cost. That is about 6% below the MSRP on most vehicles. If you know anyone who works for the auto industry, ask. They almost never use the certificates and have no problem giving them out.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:19 PM   #11
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I sold cars for about a year and have to say that you are wrong. If you don't get a nice rectal dose of depreciation from a used car, try turning around and trading it in at another dealership right after you buy it. And with what gets passed off as "certified" would not impress most people.

You get reemed either way. The only way you will get a "great" deal is if the dealership is closing in on a goal that will get a big bonus from the manufacturer.

Also, Consumer Reports did an article within the past year-and-a-half (since I've had a subscription) that found that car warranties are a pretty big waste of money. They said the only warranties worth buying were on mobile electronics (ie: laptops, MP3 players, etc.). Most car warranties cover only selected problems (as I'm sure folks have found out), so it is a safer bet to put your $1200-$2000 in the bank and use it on repairs if needed.

Selling at a dealership is different than selling on Autotrader.com.

Anybody can do the math, and the kbb.com research, to back this up - buying used is a better deal, and if you have some drivetrain warranty left, that's a bonus.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:00 PM   #12
Craptacular
College Starter

Edmunds.com is the place to start.

As Swaggs asked, what are your needs or wants? It's a big marketplace.

If you need a good blend of space, fuel efficiency, and a little fun, take a look at the newer wagons. We bought a Mazda 6 Wagon a few months ago, but also looked at the Subaru Outback and Legacy, the Dodge Magnum, and the VW Passat. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but looked to be nice vehicles. Our next vehicle will likely be something in the "crossover" category, such as a Chrysler Pacifica, Ford Freestyle, etc. That market is booming right now, so the selection and refinement will improve in the next few years.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:05 PM   #13
SoxWin
H.S. Freshman Team

I'd recommend anything made by Honda or Mazda. Hell, anything Japanese over American made.
SoxWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:53 PM   #14
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxWin
I'd recommend anything made by Honda or Mazda. Hell, anything Japanese over American made.
I'm looking at the Honda Civic Sedans. I test drove a Honda Civic and a Hyundai Elantra over the weekend. My wife liked all the bells and whistles the Elantra offered. I liked the better highway ride of the Civic.

I also like the track record on Honda's and the resale value. But my wife could care less about that sort of stuff.

As for buying Japanese over American, I tend to agree. But when it comes to pickups, I'd say the good ole USA kicks butt. But the Toyota Tacoma's and Tundra's are nice looking trucks.

We need to get a car with good gas mileage that won't cost us an arm and a leg. The Civic seems to fit the bill.

Last edited by Dutch : 02-16-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:36 PM   #15
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
I'm looking at the Honda Civic Sedans. I test drove a Honda Civic and a Hyundai Elantra over the weekend. My wife liked all the bells and whistles the Elantra offered. I liked the better highway ride of the Civic.

I also like the track record on Honda's and the resale value. But my wife could care less about that sort of stuff.

As for buying Japanese over American, I tend to agree. But when it comes to pickups, I'd say the good ole USA kicks butt. But the Toyota Tacoma's and Tundra's are nice looking trucks.

We need to get a car with good gas mileage that won't cost us an arm and a leg. The Civic seems to fit the bill.

I also own an '03 Hyundai Elantra GT sedan. The main reason I got the GT was for the leather seats. Did you test drive a GT or GLS? The suspension is stiffer on the GT, you get some nicer wheels, and the gauges light up in bluish purple, but the engine is the same as the GLS. I average somewhere around 30 to 31 mpg with a manual transmission. My commute is a mix of 25 mph streets, a 55 mph 2-lane highway, and a 4-lane freeway. I'm just about due for my 26,250 mile oil change, and I have yet to have a single problem with the car (knock on wood). It was an Edmund's "Editor's Most Wanted" car in 2003, and has lived up to the hype so far. You'll get one for 1000s less than a comparable Civic, and get an awesome warranty to boot. If the Hyundais continue to live up to their improving reputations, the resale values will reflect that. If you have any specific questions about my experience with the Elantra, feel free to PM me or post here. I'd strongly consider one.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:48 PM   #16
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxWin

Hondas and Toyotas are just as American, if not more, as the Big 3 these days. Civic and Accords are built in the US, as are most Camrys and Corollas.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:15 PM   #17
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Hondas and Toyotas are just as American, if not more, as the Big 3 these days. Civic and Accords are built in the US, as are most Camrys and Corollas.

You are right, I completely forgot that.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:17 PM   #18
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular
I also own an '03 Hyundai Elantra GT sedan. The main reason I got the GT was for the leather seats. Did you test drive a GT or GLS? The suspension is stiffer on the GT, you get some nicer wheels, and the gauges light up in bluish purple, but the engine is the same as the GLS. I average somewhere around 30 to 31 mpg with a manual transmission. My commute is a mix of 25 mph streets, a 55 mph 2-lane highway, and a 4-lane freeway. I'm just about due for my 26,250 mile oil change, and I have yet to have a single problem with the car (knock on wood). It was an Edmund's "Editor's Most Wanted" car in 2003, and has lived up to the hype so far. You'll get one for 1000s less than a comparable Civic, and get an awesome warranty to boot. If the Hyundais continue to live up to their improving reputations, the resale values will reflect that. If you have any specific questions about my experience with the Elantra, feel free to PM me or post here. I'd strongly consider one.

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the Elantra. I think it was the GLS I test drove. You are offering a compelling argument for giving it serious thought vs the Civic. I plan on making road trips to Myrtle Beach in May and Tucson in June/July, so I want something that is reliable on long trips.

I would imagine all cars are reliable for the first few years, it's that mid-range area 4-8 years that I am most concerned about.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:12 AM   #19
sooner333
College Starter

If you are looking for an upscale name, Luxury Motors near Chicago has a huge selection and unbeatable prices. They have a website. I guess they make their money by moving a lot of cars at lower prices.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 04:17 AM   #20
Dunleavy
High School JV

thanks for the response, wish me luck, tomorrow i'll will have a mechanic take a look at my possible future car (i'm not a car person so i need that).

it's a 95 Acura Legend, black on black, leather, sun roof, 6 disc, power everything etc.. only 95-100k miles and body is excellent. i had a 90 legend and enjoyed driving it, and it had over 200k miles. also had the 97 Taurus which was a simple nice car. but an expensive cylinder job caused me to sell it (rather then fix)

i prefer just buying a used car with money i have rather then having car payments every month. i was looking for something that was half sedan, half sports car, and i was leaning toward a Japanese car, so the Acura Legend made alot of sense.
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:35 AM   #21
jamesUMD
High School JV

I had a 2000 Elantra and liked it. The resale value does suck and my wife pointed out in an article where over the couse of 5 years the Elantra cost more than a comparable Civic because of the price of repairs, resale value, gas mileage, difference in insurance rates, etc. etc.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:05 PM   #22
Swaggs
Coordinator

If you are looking at Elantras and Civics, you might want to consider looking at a 2-3 year old Accord, as well (if you can find one). They are a little larger (if you have children), have better safety ratings, and a little more pep to the engine.

Hondas are a little harder to find used because they do not distribute to rental car companies.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:08 PM   #23
Dutch
"Dutch"

Well, I finally made my decision today. Did I want an Elantra or a Civic? Well.....I went with the Jetta. Both of those cars got serious attention from me, Elantra because I could buy new and Civic because of the long standing reputation, but I always wanted a German car and no way I can afford a Mercedes or BMW. At least not yet.

Dark Blue 2002 Volkswagon Jetta VR6 - fully loaded with crap I've never even heard of and plenty of things that can go wrong that I will have to pay for one day. But damn it's nice to drive! (It's a stick which I prefer!)

The asking price at the dealers used car lot was 18.5 but I told them I researched it and saw the private resale value was 14k. He tried me at 17k and then 16k but I would only agree to buy TODAY at 15k, otherwise I would have to think about it. They accepted my mini-ultimatum and I have the car in my garage now.

Not a steal, but I feel like I got a good deal.

WOOT!

Last edited by Dutch : 04-13-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:16 PM   #24
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman

They know how to manage their workforce!

Last edited by rexallllsc : 04-13-2005 at 08:27 PM.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:51 PM   #25
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Dark Blue 2002 Volkswagon Jetta VR6 - fully loaded with crap I've never even heard of and plenty of things that can go wrong that I will have to pay for one day.

Well, at least you know what you could be in for. VW isn't faring so well on reliability. However, we test drove one before we bought our Elantra, and it was fun to drive (1.8T stick). My wife keeps saying she's always wanted a Jetta. What, her Geo Prism isn't good enough?!?!

Good luck. Hope it works out.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:08 PM   #26
Dutch
"Dutch"

Thanks, I'm hoping it remains healthy for oh...about 59, maybe 60 months.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #27
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm all about never buying another American car. Toyotas forever! they laugh goddamn FOREVER.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:05 AM   #28
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
i'm all about never buying another American car. Toyotas forever! they laugh goddamn FOREVER.

This man speaks the truth.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:08 PM   #29
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am getting a Hyundai Tuscon AWD SUV in June and from what and have seen and read it or any of the Hyundais are money well spent. Great, great warranty plan.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote