Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Bought a Macbook Intel Core Duo 13" laptop (Mac Help thread)

Alright, this thin was traded for, I gave up an old Dell beater laptop I was going to use as a linux machine and $250 for it. I had some spare ram that works for it and I am upgraded to the max of 2GB of RAM...I have some apps that came with it.

Adobe CS2 suite
MS:Office 2008 suite

So now what I need, since I have been PC Centric sense 2000 is what kind of apps are needed for the machine (integral both free and paid)

How does one remove the program from the system?

If I want to run windows based apps, what do I need?

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
samifan24
Pro Starter

To uninstall a program, you simply drag its icon from the applications folder to the trash icon. (This is the simplest way to uninstall although it does not necessarily uninstall all the ancillary preference files that accompany the main file, although you can find plenty of free programs that do this for you)

If I want to run windows based apps, what do I need?

Assuming you're running Leopard or Snow Leopard OS, you can install a copy of Windows and run native Windows programs via Apple's Boot Camp which, one activated, allows you to choose between OS X and Windows when you boot your Macbook. Alternatively you can purchase a program like Parallels or VMWare Fusion which will allow you to run Windows apps from "within" Mac OS X although you still need to install a full copy of Windows as a virtual machine with either program.

Basically it depends on which types of Windows programs you intend to run on your Mac and how often you'll use those programs.

Also, you can find tons of "best free Mac apps" lists out there but two apps I would recommend are Quicksilver, a task launcher, and 1Password, which isn't free but is a phenomenal piece of security software.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Regarding running windows based apps...I've installed VirtualBox (free) and have a virtual machine of Windows 7 available whenever I need it...works splendidly for my FOF cravings.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

Yes, what samifan24 said. I would also delete the package for the app as well. Again, just drag to the trash can and it is gone.

If you need some Mac software, let me know. I've got tons of friends still working at Apple and can get 50% off of Mac software.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Here's one for me real quick: Can someone hook me up with the BootCamp drivers for Windows from the Snow Leopard DVD? I've done two moves since I bought it and I have no idea where the DVD is.

To answer MacroGuru's questions (or at least one of them), apps I would install:

Quicksilver
Textmate (if you do much coding)
Quicksilver

uhh.. really.. that's all I've got off the top of my head. Applications have become so web-based (google docs for example) that I can't recommend much else that isn't specific to my development tasks.

Oh, install Quicksilver.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000

Last edited by lordscarlet : 07-19-2010 at 04:15 PM.
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote