Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Do you want the Colts to go undefeated and win the Super Bowl?
Yes. 88 66.67%
No. 35 26.52%
Trout. 9 6.82%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Do you want the Colts to go undefeated?

Being a Dolphins fan, I suppose I should want the Colts to lose in order to keep sole bragging rights for the Dolphins. However, I am too young to remember to the perfect season, and if eventually some team has to match their feat, there are far worse options out there than the Colts. Last year, I didn't mind Manning breaking Marino's single season TD record. Go Colts!

Last edited by Kodos : 12-05-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
vtbub
College Starter

It would be an incedible feat, certainly whoever did it would earn it.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:13 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Yes, I can't stand the pop the cork stuff.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:14 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yes. Then it will stop that Calvin Murphy-style crap the '72 Dolphins go through if the Colts lose. I don't have a problem with the Colts or Manning, and if the Broncos aren't going to win it all, I hope they win because I think Manning gets too much negative shit as it is. And it will give Bill Simmons one less thing to write about.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:14 PM   #5
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I'm curious about this: If the Colts go undefeated in the regular season, and lose at some point in the post-season, how will that be considered?

I ask because the media keeps talking about 4 more games to go ... but I think the Colts have to run the table through the Super Bowl.
Correct.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm curious about this: If the Colts go undefeated in the regular season, and lose at some point in the post-season, how will that be considered?

I ask because the media keeps talking about 4 more games to go ... but I think the Colts have to run the table through the Super Bowl.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #7
Ksyrup

Certainly, by winning all 16 and then losing in the playoffs, the Colts (and Manning in particular) will take major heat. I mean, Manning's already considered (rightly or wrongly) someone who can't win "under pressure," so this would just be considered the ultimate statement of what a meaningless stats guy he is. So it's a double-edged sword. And maybe this is why Dungy probably wants them to lose before they get into the playoffs. Maybe it helps ease the pressure just a bit.

All I know is, I'll be pissed if they lose to the Chargers.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #8
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

I agree. Wasn't there another team that went undefeated in the regular season, but did not seal the deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Yes, I can't stand the pop the cork stuff.

The Colts going undefeated would not end that, it would merely replace the 72 Dolphins with the 05 Colts as the group doing the popping.

Last edited by Samdari : 12-05-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:18 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Heck ya... would be neat to see.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:25 PM   #10
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I can only hope they do. If everything comes out right I'll there for the Arizona game, the 2 playoff home games and get drawn out of the season ticket holder lottery for super bowl tickets....okay, that last 1 is probably a dream but I'd atleast make an attempt to get super bowl tickets somehow and think about the cost later.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
I agree. Wasn't there another team that went undefeated in the regular season, but did not seal the deal?

The Colts going undefeated would not end that, it would merely replace the 72 Dolphins with the 05 Colts as the group doing the popping.

Not for quite a while though.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:31 PM   #12
G-Man
High School JV

Talking Go Seahawks!!

I hope that they are 14-0 and the Seahawks beat them something like 28-10!! Yeah I know it may be a "pipe-dream", but hey it could happen!!
Old 12-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #13
Butter
Coordinator

Sure, let the Colts win it all this year, get it out of their system, and get them back to some semblance of beatability next year. Because they are unbelievable right now. They haven't even been in a close game late in the game since Week 3.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #14
Ksyrup

Quote:

Why would they do that? The only reason it goes on now is because they're the only ones to do it. If it happens again, they lose the exclusivity. And the Colts have no reason to start the practice, either. The Dolphins, OTOH, make a living as members of the group. I'm sorry but the only reason I know who Nick Buoniconti is, is because he's (a) a 72 Dolphin, and (b) his son was paralyzed in a football game. That's the extent of his name recognition. And most of the other guys on that team only have (a) to fall back on, yet they are known everywhere. They have a lot to lose.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:38 PM   #15
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
I hope that they are 14-0 and the Seahawks beat them something like 28-10!! Yeah I know it may be a "pipe-dream", but hey it could happen!!

They aren't going to get beat that bad, but there is no reason the Hawks can't beat them. But your defense is going to have to play the game of the year. I'm still of the opinion that a great offense with a lousy defense matches up better with them than a great defense/lousy offense. The reason being you have to score points to beat them. Then you have to hope the breaks go your way.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:39 PM   #16
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

The 1934 or 1942 Bears?

http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/1934.html

http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/1942.html
Old 12-05-2005, 02:39 PM   #17
rkmsuf
Head Coach

And nobody is as annoying as Buoniconti, Morris and those guys doing that.

Get over it people.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:43 PM   #18
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Ideally I do want them to do it. But I think if they go undefeated in the regular season, it severely decreases the odds the win the Super Bowl. I think deep-down Dungy wants to lose a game before the playoffs begin.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:45 PM   #19
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I should say no, since I want my team to beat them so we can go to the Super Bowl.

That aside, I think it would be exciting to see a team go for an undefeated season. Plus, I have a hard time picturing Peyton Manning and Marving Harrison going around for the next 30 years trying the hex everybody once they get to 9-0.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:49 PM   #20
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
And nobody is as annoying as Buoniconti, Morris and those guys doing that.

Get over it people.

Column from the Miami Sun-Sentinel

'72 Dolphins have more than 17-0 season in their lives
Published November 30, 2005

Time again to mock the 1972 Dolphins. Time to paint them as even grumpier, older men. Time to knock them for (a) living in the past by (b) bitterly clinging to their 17-0 record and (c) childishly rooting against the perfect-so-far Indianapolis Colts because (d) they don't want their otherwise empty lives diminished.

Yes, it's time for the national sports media to get busy, because this is a quick, easy and accepted storyline to spit out every football season. Throw in an age-specific word like Polident or Metamucil, get a bonus chuckle, too.

There's just one problem: None of it's true.

What, you think because Nick Buoniconti and Dick Anderson raise a champagne toast every season when the last undefeated team loses it symbolizes what pathetic, no-good, empty-life existences these two men have led since 1972?

Anderson became a state senator after football. He started successful insurance and cellular-phone businesses. He has served on civic and political groups to bring events like the Super Bowl to South Florida.

Buoniconti became CEO to a Fortune 500 company and then started the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis when his son, Marc, became paralyzed. A $37 million research center was built. Hundreds of scientists are involved. The annual budget is $18 million. Just this fall, a 20th annual fund-raiser was held in New York, adding to the more than $200 million raised by the Buonicontis for spinal cord research.

Man, what a couple of get-a-life losers, huh?

Here's the point: When you look at the Boys of '72 -- really look at their lives, not just give them the ha-ha caricature treatment they get in seasons like this -- you understand what an unusual group they are. Maybe it helps explain why they won, too.

Larry Csonka now headlines a popular outdoors cable TV show in Alaska. Bob Griese is ABC's top college football voice. Howard Twilley built an empire of athletic footwear stores in Kansas. Doug Swift became a doctor after taking the medical school entrance exam the day before a Dolphins game in New England.

"Played a good game that day, too," he said.

Paul Warfield owns a sports marketing company. Norm Evans runs a Christian ministry. Manny Fernandez is an account representative. Tim Foley made more money than any of them, his teammates say, by becoming one of Amway's biggest producers.

Do you want to keep going? Don Shula became the winningest coach in NFL history. Team owner Joe Robbie went on to build the first privately financed stadium in the country.

Jim Mandich started a construction company and is a popular radio show host in South Florida, where he throws out some of former teammate Jake Scott's phrases, like "green lizard" for Heineken beer, and goes by the "Mad Dog" moniker given for his special teams play as a rookie.

See how shallow this national storyline really is? Understand what kind of good work this team has done after football?

They had to work, too. They're from a different sports era. Their bank accounts didn't swell just for showing up. Jim Langer, in the middle of a Hall of Fame career, worked as a bank teller in the offseason. Larry Little, another future Hall of Famer, had wanted a $2,000 raise to $20,000 in 1970.

"If I give you that, I'll jump out of this 24th floor window," then-General Manager Joe Thomas said.

"You'd better get some wings, Joe," Little said.

Now Langer manages a truck company in Minnesota. Little has been a coach and is a career consultant for Miami-Dade County schools. Vern Den Herder returned to Iowa, where he runs a 450-acre farm. Jim Kiick is a private investigator in Broward. You can keep going down the roster.

They're all in the news again because the Colts are 11-0 today. Part of the discussion is whether the Colts can go undefeated (answer: their dome and schedule help). Part is whether it's more difficult to go undefeated today (answer: one team did it in any era -- how could it be more difficult now?)

Part of the discussion is the '72 Dolphins, too. They mostly love the attention, too. They're hams that way. Plus they enjoy remembering their accomplishment in the way you might enjoy a high school reunion or some good college memory.

But that doesn't mean you've done nothing since high school or college, does it? Well?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #21
rkmsuf
Head Coach

and they are paranoid. great.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:52 PM   #22
scooper
College Benchwarmer

My obvious choice would be for the Bengals to win the rematch in Indy in the AFC championship game. But otherwise, I'd be happy to see them go unbeaten. It hasn't happened in my lifetime and I'm also tired of that cork popping crap.

I like Tony Dungy, and I like the team attitude and work ethic of the team. If another team were to finally go unbeaten, it may as well be the Colts.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:53 PM   #23
Radii
Head Coach

The only time I'd root against the Colts this year is if they faced Carolina in the Super Bowl. If that scenario doesn't happen, it would make only the 2nd time I rooted for the AFC in the Super Bowl(the other being Denver vs Atlanta of course).
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #24
st.cronin
General Manager

I like Peyton Manning. I don't like him as much as Tom Brady or my girlfriend, but I like him, and root for him to succeed.

But I would rather some other team win the Super Bowl.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:00 PM   #25
Ksyrup

Yeah, and Calvin Murphy is a pedophile. Guess all those successful people have something in common with him.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:00 PM   #26
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Why would they do that? The only reason it goes on now is because they're the only ones to do it.

It is speculative, of course, but I highly suspect that if the Colts go undefeated and then win the Super Bowl, you will simply replace the Dolphins as the only team to do it with the Colts as the last team to do it.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:02 PM   #27
Ksyrup

In fact, that article just goes to show how much they DO need the perfect season. Aside from Greise and Buoniconti, not many people really know what happened to them. It's all that gives them football immortality, despite their off the field successes.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:06 PM   #28
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I think the 72 Fins get a bum rap. they aren't obnoxious about it - they are celebrating a great accomplishment. It's not like freaking Chuck Bednarik rooting against the Eagles.

If I'm not mistaken, Indianapolis clinches home field next week, giving them 3 meaningless regular season games. And it's not like the opponents are cupcakes - San Diego is fighting for their playoff lives, and Seattle is going to be working on home field for the playoffs. And if Dungy wants to start resting players...it wouldn't surprise me if they lost 2 games and went into the playoffs with all kinds of question marks from the media.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:11 PM   #29
Ksyrup

I think the fact that they do what they do is the very definition of obnoxious. They aren't celebrating their own accomplishment - that happened 30+ years ago. They're celebrating the fact that no one else is going to do what they did for at least another year. Poor form, IMO.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:13 PM   #30
Travis
Pro Rookie

I really wonder what the effect of a regular season loss would be to the Colts. It would do one of two things, either take away all pressure and (as scary as it sounds) allow the team to play better, or potentially start a destructive cycle.

One reason I bring this up was because this past season in the CFL, the B.C. Lions started the year 11-0 (18 game season), then went 1-6 (including a 4 game losing streak that started with their first loss of the year) down the stretch after losing their 12th game. They still managed to finish 1st in the West (which gives them a first round bye and home field advantage in the Western Final), but dropped their home playoff game to finish the season with a 12-9 record. This was a team that scored 30+ points 10 times, 3 times in the 40's with 1 offensive outburst of 60 points in a game.

When they were 11-0 the talk had already started about a possible undefeated season, and for the most part, they were handling their games with relative ease. There were some factors present that wouldn't crop up in Indy (QB controversy was a big one), but while I would imagine this team would be the type to take a loss, get rid of all the excess pressure and come back refocused on winning the Super Bowl rather than having a perfect season, imagine what it would do to the image of Peyton if they end up losing the last two games of the year, then their first playoff game.

As a Seahawks fan, I hope we beat them in a few weeks to help our chances of winning the NFC, but if we manage to make the SB and the Colts come out of the AFC, I'm not sure if I'd rather they walk in with the pressure of finishing off a perfect season or with a blemish on their record.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:18 PM   #31
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I think the fact that they do what they do is the very definition of obnoxious. They aren't celebrating their own accomplishment - that happened 30+ years ago. They're celebrating the fact that no one else is going to do what they did for at least another year. Poor form, IMO.

Exactly. They can paint it however they want but they let people film them popping a cork.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:43 PM   #32
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Being a Colts fan through the days of Jeff George I am revelling in the glory now
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:51 PM   #33
Daimyo
College Starter

As a Colts fan I'm a bit torn. On the one hand it would be an amazing accomplishment to go undefeated and win the Super Bowl, but on the other hand I think losing a game or two might actually increase the odds of winning the Super Bowl. Manning already carries a ton of pressure to win in the playoffs and the last thing he needs is the extra pressure of preserving a perfect season...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:58 PM   #34
CraigSca
Pro Starter

As a former Baltimorean, I have a little touch of sour grapes regarding the Colts. Maybe someday I'll get over it.

(No, I'm not a Ravens fan, either)
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:01 PM   #35
Kodos
Resident Alien

I can only imagine how the Patriot fans will try to trivialize the accomplishment if Peyton does lead them to a Super Bowl win following a perfect season. "Their schedule was soft blah blah blah..."
Old 12-05-2005, 04:01 PM   #36
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
I voted No because I dont think they will.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #37
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B
I voted No because I dont think they will.

That's not much of a reason, son. "I don't want them to win because I don't think they will."
Old 12-05-2005, 04:08 PM   #38
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo
Being a Colts fan through the days of Jeff George I am revelling in the glory now

Oh god, and while we're at it, we'll build a defense around the following top 5 picks...Steve Emtman, Quentin Coryatt, and Trev Alberts

Ellis Johnson wasn't much better, but atleast they waited untill the middle of the 1st round for him.

Last edited by dubb93 : 12-05-2005 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:10 PM   #39
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
I can only imagine how the Patriot fans will try to trivialize the accomplishment if Peyton does lead them to a Super Bowl win following a perfect season. "Their schedule was soft blah blah blah..."
we'll just say something like:

"yeah well he still hasn't won 3 out of 4"

McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #40
st.cronin
General Manager

I, personally can't wait for Colts fans to make excuses for Peyton Manning when the Patriots end their undefeated season in the playoffs.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:26 PM   #41
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

The people bitching about the 72 Dolphins really need to get their facts straight:

Quote:
Shula: Champagne story about '72 Dolphins is a myth

BY GEORGE DIAZ

The Orlando Sentinel

Don Shula would like to clarify a story that's become urban legend in the sports media.

There isn't a big celebratory champagne bash whenever a team falls short of matching the 1972 Miami Dolphins as the only undefeated squad in NFL history.

"That's probably the most-talked-about thing that just doesn't happen," Shula, the former Dolphins coach, said during a national conference call Tuesday. "We've got players scattered all across the country. Nick Buoniconti, Bob Griese and Dick Anderson all live in Coral Gables, and they'll go to a parking lot and open a bottle of champagne, but those three are too cheap to invite the rest of us down there."

This could be the season when the cork doesn't pop.

The undefeated Indianapolis Colts - a team that now has an aggressive defense to match its offensive proficiency - are posing a formidable challenge to Miami's legacy.

"The Colts are doing things that no one has ever done," Shula said. "They've looked tremendous."

At 10-0, the Colts are coming off their most impressive victory of the season, 45-37 at Cincinnati. The Colts have won seven games by double digits, lead the league in points and rank second in points allowed.

The Colts are the fifth team to start 10-0 since the league began a 16-game schedule in 1978. That includes the 1985 Chicago Bears, who lost only to Shula's Dolphins in a dramatic game in the Orange Bowl on Monday Night Football, and the 1998 Denver Broncos.

Although playing in a different era, the `72 Dolphins were able to overcome the loss of Griese, their starting quarterback. Earl Morrall - signed for $90,000 a year - guided the Dolphins to 12 of their 17 victories

"It just shows you how tough it is to do when nobody has done it before us and nobody has done it since us," Shula said. "The Colts are a team that's really capable of doing it. They have still got some tough games to play, but if and when they do it, it's just going to prove that they, too, will be a great football team."

The Colts have some tough matchups, including a home date against Pittsburgh on Monday night, at Jacksonville on Dec. 11 and at Seattle on Christmas Eve.

"We've been accused of being angry, old men and just hoping and praying that the last team would lose, and that's not true," Shula said. "If the Colts do it, I'd be the first guy to call (Colts Coach Tony) Dungy and congratulate him, and I'm sure our players would congratulate their players."

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:40 PM   #42
Ksyrup

So I don't recall Bob Greise openly rooting against his own son's team in 1998?

I don't care if it's 3 or 30 of them that get together, they still do it. I've never had a problem with Shula; in fact, that seems like a typical calsssy thing for Shula to do, come to the aid of his players who he feels are being unfairly attacked.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:49 PM   #43
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I don't care if it's 3 or 30 of them that get together, they still do it.

Do you also dislike the Buffalo Bills teams of the 70s because they all killed their wife and a waiter?

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #44
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I, personally can't wait for Colts fans to make excuses for Peyton Manning when the Patriots end their undefeated season in the playoffs.

I can't for the Colts to absolutely crush the Patriots in the playoffs and make Tom Brady sit and pout on the bench again.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:25 PM   #45
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
I can't for the Colts to absolutely crush the Patriots in the playoffs and make Tom Brady sit and pout on the bench again.

I think you left out the word wait, most likely because you are afraid you will be waiting forever.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:40 PM   #46
cody8200
High School Varsity

Cronin, the Patriots era is over man. It's all over. As a Colts fan I would love to see the flawless season. I've been a Colts fan since before the Harbaugh days and I feel like no one besides maybe the Seahawks have a chance against us this year. The Broncos have no chance, not do the Chargers. The Seahawks can be scary but our defense has been ridiculously good this year. The only games our defense has broken down, our offense has scored 40 some points and did so looking effortless.

That being said, I really dont care about the perfect regular season, just a perfect post-season.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:44 PM   #47
Raiders Army
Coordinator

We need more trout votes
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:59 PM   #48
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Go big or go home... I am a big Colts fan and I really hope they don't rest players in the last few games. They will have a bye week after week 17. Keep the players in a routine, don't mess with what has been working.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:33 PM   #49
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200
Cronin, the Patriots era is over man. It's all over. As a Colts fan I would love to see the flawless season. I've been a Colts fan since before the Harbaugh days and I feel like no one besides maybe the Seahawks have a chance against us this year. The Broncos have no chance, not do the Chargers. The Seahawks can be scary but our defense has been ridiculously good this year. The only games our defense has broken down, our offense has scored 40 some points and did so looking effortless.
Please, please, please don't say things like that. (I'm a Colt's fan)
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #50
Joe
Pro Starter

so what if the colts get to 18-0 but then lose the superbowl? still better than the dolphins since miami only had 17?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote