Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2005, 09:55 AM   #1
portnoise
H.S. Freshman Team

Best Palm OS software

So I got a Tungsten E over the holidays and am shopping around for stuff to load it up with. Wondering what you guys think are some of the most useful programs to have.

I already enjoy Agendus, Zlauncher and Adarian Money... any other ideas?

Ps. let the sweaty palm jokes start rolling in...

portnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:17 AM   #2
lurker
High School JV

Go to AvantGo and you can add a bunch of news sites to it that will be updated every time you hot sync. There's also a bunch of fun sites on there like Every Three Weekly (U of Michigan's version of the Onion).
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

What type of software are you looking for? Here's a listing of what is on my Tungsten C with a brief description on what it is (ask for more details), admittedly I have a lot of games (what can I say I get bored easily in classes and meetings):

-Agendus (date book/contacts replacement)
-Gamebox Asia (Mahjohng game)
-AvantGo (web browser and news reader of sorts, FREE)
-Bejeweled 2 (the diamond-swapping game)
-Bike or Die! (really addictive bicycle stunt game...even those people who aren't into biking are into it)
-Bounce Out (the same PopCap or whoever makes it game)
-Kickoo's Breakout (the pong-ish game where you break bricks)
-Chess Tiger (IMO the best chess game available)
-Neat Freak's Cleanup (helps identify and remove unused files and orphans)
-Crosswords (Scrabble-ish game, also FREE)
-DataVizMail (Mail application since the Tungsten C comes with built-in WiFi)
-Documents to Go (allows creating and editing MS Word, Excel, and Power Point files and syncing with computer versions of said files...a version of this program may have come on your the CD-ROM that came with the Palm, it did for me)
-Earth Defender (one of those silly Gattaga/Galactica-type games)
-Easy Calc (FREE calculator program with a lot of modes)
-eReader (basic version which is FREE, pro is on sale for 9.95 right now; used to read ebooks)
-Insaniquarium (Palm version of the popular game of same name)
-Jack or 100 Ways to BBQ (2-d platform-style game that I've had a lot of fun with)
-Legacy & all of its expansions (RPG created by Redshift)
-MicroFluxx (FREEware version of the sort-of-well-known Looney Labs game, Fluxx)
-Monsta (turn-bases trategy game that I rarely if ever play)
-PalmEMS (EMS reference)
-Pictures to Go (part of the Documents to Go suite, allows viewing of pictures; can also be used to view images that come in as a part of email attachments)
-Pocket Mini Golf (easily the most fun miniature golf game out there with a whole slew of functions)
-Pocket Mini Golf eXtra (the add-on for PMG, just some more courses and challenges)
-PToolbox (I think this came built-in, I have no idea what it does)
-QuizWiz (build your own flashcards for review of stuff on your Palm, it's FREE and it's been helpful in some of my classes)
-Snails (PDAMill's version of the Worms games; i.e. turn-based strategy to kill the opposite team of snails)
-Gamebox Solitaire (http://www.gameboxsolitaire.com)
-Gamebox Solitaire 2 (see above)
-Due Yesterday (FREE program to keep track of homework assignements or other deadlines and a bit of planning)
-ZLauncher (launcher, version 5.10 or whatever)
-Neat Freak's Uninstall Manager (helps uninstall files and acutally remove all the associated files that may be hidden)

**Note, I have a 256 MB SD card that I use for storage of files and most of the games. I have about 36.5 MB free on RAM and 200 MB free on the card.

Now for the listing of books I have on the device (all from eReader):
A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson
The Confusion by Neal Stepenson
The System of the World by Neal Stephenson
The Art of War by Sun Tzu

~tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 01-13-2005 at 11:16 AM. Reason: fixing something
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Wow, great list tk!

I have a Palm Tungsten T5 that I received for Christmas.

I have Adobe Reader with several books on it.
Aldon (Great RPG for the Palm)
The standard calc, calendar, etc.
I have the DSM-IV-TR - a very useful reference for my work.
I have Epocrates.
I have eReader and several books on there (one of my favorite extras)
I have Shattered Worlds: Space Combat, a fun little game.

I'm also looking for good recommendations to add onto it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

EAGLESFAN killed my Dola!

If you click on my blog link in my sig file, I have the same list but it is linked to each program if you're interested in learning more...

Also, I used to have Aldon's Crossing on my old Palm m505, but since I beat it in every possible way before getting the T|C, I didn't re-install it on my C (only mentioned since EF said something about it).

Also, if you're interested in games, http://www.pdarcade.com is a good site, and if you're interested in most everything Palm-related, check out http://www.1src.com

~tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 01-13-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:23 AM   #6
portnoise
H.S. Freshman Team

Thanks guys-- I'm definitely looking at Legacy and AvantGo at the moment. For some reason AvantGo doesn't seem to want to let me sign up. Also looking into Bonsai and Daynotez...
Old 01-14-2005, 10:50 AM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Forgot to add a game to the list that I just installed/purchased for real.
HandyNet's Tots n Togs, a clothing sales simulator.
It got great reviews at all the gaming websites, and having played the demo for over a month (the demo only gives you a "career" of a week; you really need a bit longer career to make any money as a clothing shop manager), I finally picked it up.

Handyent's TNT website is http://www.handyent.com/tnt/ (currently on sale there for $13.95 as a special "Christmas Edition")
the game is also available from Astraware http://www.astraware.com/all/default/totsntogs

For any Pocket PC or Windows Smartphone users out there, most of the games I've mentioned are available for those, too, so check out the websites (mostly linked from my blog http://gimpygal.blogspot.com )

~tk
Old 01-14-2005, 02:19 PM   #8
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by portnoise
Thanks guys-- I'm definitely looking at Legacy and AvantGo at the moment. For some reason AvantGo doesn't seem to want to let me sign up. Also looking into Bonsai and Daynotez...

You know, I've heard of a lot of people using Bonsai but I still haven't the foggiest idea what it is. What is it?

Daynotez I've never heard of, what is it?

~tk
Old 01-24-2005, 04:13 PM   #9
3ric
College Starter

I'm playing around with Salexo Software's "No limit Texas Hold'em" right now - pretty fun and addictive. But I have no idea how well it simulates actual play, being kind of a novice at hold'em poker.

http://www.salexo.com/
Old 02-16-2005, 03:38 PM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

Bump, as I browse for toys to dump onto the new Treo.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:43 PM   #11
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

To add to my list of games and stuff I have on my Tungsten C, I recommend Arvale, a Palm OS and PPC RPG. http://www.arvale.com

The full listing of what's on the Palm and links to the stuff is at http://gimpygal.blogspot.com/2005/01...ungsten-c.html

/tk
Old 02-21-2005, 04:31 PM   #12
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola, wanted to bump this because I just finished playing Arvale.
I helped beta-test the game for PDAMill and it was a GREAT game to beta-test, and I had even more fun this time going through it. But since I just finished it, I'm on a high about it Available for both PPC and Palm, just be sure to download the trial first and make sure it runs ok on your device (and if it doesn't, email the PDAMill folks and they'll take care of you, they're SUPER helpful and friendly).

Anyway, game info and download and purchase available at http://www.arvale.com
Check out PDAMill's other games, too, http://www.pdamill.com
Old 02-21-2005, 05:08 PM   #13
portnoise
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
You know, I've heard of a lot of people using Bonsai but I still haven't the foggiest idea what it is. What is it?

Daynotez I've never heard of, what is it?

~tk

(since this thread has been brought back, I can answer this q I never got to...)

Daynotez is a journaling program that's great for dumping quick little notes that are pre-time-stamped and colored by category. I assigned it to the rightmost button and use it to brain-dump ideas as they come to me...
Old 02-21-2005, 09:36 PM   #14
QuikSand
lolzcat

I have never spent more than a few minutes with Madden football, but I see that there is a version available for the Palm platform, sold for $20 on a SD add-on card. Might be enough to get me interested... could be a good time waster, methinks.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:38 PM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
I have never spent more than a few minutes with Madden football, but I see that there is a version available for the Palm platform, sold for $20 on a SD add-on card. Might be enough to get me interested... could be a good time waster, methinks.
Sounds interesting. I like RPG's for the Palm, but I usually don't play that often and then I forget where I last was with the game (with a few exceptions.) Madden might be quite fun for short periods of downtime with the PDA.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-21-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:39 PM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

I had a nice little run with Sim City for my old Palm pilot... but it doesn't seem to work well on my new system (upgraded OS is the culprit, I suppose). COmpletely faithful of the original game -- nice blast from the past.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:59 PM   #17
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

From what I understand, there is no reliable SimCity for Palm OS5 (which is a bummer as I loved it too). More info on that might be found at http://www.1src.com in the Games forum (link). A lot of information about gaming on a Palm Pilot in general can be found there and at PDArcade. However, Sim lovers might be interested in FishTycoon for Palm and PPC or Tots n Togs for Palm or PPC. They are sims as well. I believe Last Day of Work software (LDW) is making a Village Sim program that will likely be something Sim-esque.

Madden is now available for DOWNLOAD or as the SD card game. You can download it ($29.99) at PalmGear here or order the SD card through PalmGear by following this link ($34.99).

I'm also going to reply to another post in the forum about the Nintendo DS as PDA. Currently, it does not have any PDA functionality. However, there is an interesting clippit here about Nintendo licensing the OS software. You can also read about it in 1src's forum in this thread.

And in terms of shameless self-promotion, here's the link to my blog entry with all the software I have on my Palm listed. I actually need to update it to include Arvale and DES Journal.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 02-21-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:54 AM   #18
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Madden is now available for DOWNLOAD or as the SD card game. You can download it ($29.99) at PalmGear here or order the SD card through PalmGear by following this link ($34.99).

Mighty big thanks there. Prefer the download to the card, plus it's a demo version -- and I can see if it's a total miss for me without paying up front.

Last edited by QuikSand : 02-22-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:46 PM   #19
QuikSand
lolzcat

Somewhat related question...

I have a fair amount of space on my extra memory SD card, and it struck me -- I might like to use some of that space just to sort of "carry around" some files of importance to me.

Is there any way for me to sort of use my memory card on my Treo as if it were a memory stick? Just dump a file onto the card with a HotSync, and presumably extract the file onto some other computer at another time?

Just curious...
Old 03-04-2005, 04:12 PM   #20
portnoise
H.S. Freshman Team

A portable USB card reader would do the trick. Don't believe you can do it thorugh hotsyncing.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:16 PM   #21
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thanks, portnoise. No complaint here.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:44 PM   #22
QuikSand
lolzcat

For tk or whomever...

I am getting awfully fed up with the clumsy RealPlayer setup on my Treo (Palm OS), and am wondering if there is a better utility out there for mp3 playback. It's not something I am likely to use an awful lot, but I want the capability. Right now, I am finding that when I save mp3 files to my memory card, they frequently are saved in some perverse order, and sometimes tha file titles are screwed up. I have created playlists, manually putting the songs back into album order, for some - but this seems to be more trouble than it's worth to me.

Any other Palm OS audio file player software that anyone might recommend?
Old 03-14-2005, 06:17 PM   #23
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

W00t, am I now the resident Palm geek??? A quick search at PalmGear (www.palmgear.com) reveals:

Aeroplayer 5.2 (http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...0&prodid=46149)
$14.95 and plays MP3 and Vorbis (Ogg) files. PG users have rated it 5 stars, though I don't know anybody who uses it.

Then there is Pocket Tunes and Pocket Tunes Deluxe.
Deluxe is $27.95, plays MP3, WMA, and Ogg format and has Windows Media Player integration (link: http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...0&prodid=51196)
The regular version is $14.95. It plays MP3 and Ogg files, and also has the Windows Media Player integration (link: http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...0&prodid=45900)
Most people I know use either Pocket Tunes (not sure if Deluxe or regular) or MMPlayer (see next item). Both are pretty good, though people seem to like Pocket Tunes better (it's more popular).

Finally there is MMPlayer.
It too runs $14.95. It plays MP3 files, Ogg, and MIDI, and also plays various types of movie files. Link: http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...0&prodid=49158

I confess I haven't used any of these...my Tungsten C doesn't have a standard-sized headphone jack (the one major downside to this device) so I rarely if ever listen to mp3's on my Palm. My next device (probably a Tungsten T5) will DEFINITELY have a real headphone jack so I can pop some mp3s onto my SD card.

/tk
Old 03-14-2005, 06:59 PM   #24
QuikSand
lolzcat

I have seen the same competitors... and might be inclined to give one a try. I (obviously) have RealPlayer now, but I feel like I'm getting what I paid for there.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:59 PM   #25
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
W00t, am I now the resident Palm geek???

I reckon so, but be careful with the nickname. It's a tough crowd sometimes.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:11 PM   #26
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ahem, maybe I should say "resident PDA geek"

Of course, I still have the original "Palm Pilotte" (my last name, and I STILL write things on my hand...both sides, the palm and the back of it)

/tk
Old 05-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #27
QuikSand
lolzcat

Just another bunp to this very useful thread.

I just registered Fish Tycoon for my Palm -- I've never really been too interested in the Tamgotchi style of game play, but this has been pretty entertaining to me. It's beautifully cast (the colors are vibrant on the hi-res monitor) and the game seems deep enough to stick with for a while.

I also have gotten a lot of short periods of entertainment out of Bike or Die, thanks to tk's recommendation above. Very good little game -- ideal for the Palm mentality, where I want to play a game that takes about three minutes or my attention.

I will also mention Crossword Puzzles, which is a really nice little package to doanload and solve crosswords on your Palm device. Great time killer for meetings -- a big part of my motivation.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-20-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:25 PM   #28
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

QuikSand, glad you're liking Bike or Die!
EVERYBODY should check out this insanely addictive game, http://bike.toyspring.com

There is also a review of it at http://www.mobiletechreview.com/games/Bike_or_Die.htm that I did for MobileTechReview.

Super fun game!!!

/tk
Old 05-20-2005, 03:45 PM   #29
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Any teachers use the Gradebook program? If so, how is it and is there more than one?
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:28 AM   #30
Tara
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by portnoise
So I got a Tungsten E over the holidays and am shopping around for stuff to load it up with. Wondering what you guys think are some of the most useful programs to have.

I already enjoy Agendus, Zlauncher and Adarian Money... any other ideas?

Ps. let the sweaty palm jokes start rolling in...

Maybe you already know this site but there are only freeware here:

/www.freewarepalm.com/
you can find everything from mindless game to nice programs.

Between freeware is really interesting HandyShopper

If you want spend some dollars I'l put it in:

-DateBk5
-Launcher X or something similar
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #31
QuikSand
lolzcat

I have tried a couple of times, and gotten a dead link for freewarepalm...

I suspect it's just me (have had weird problems lately), but I can't get there.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #32
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

It's working for me, I suspect the link above may have an error in it. http://www.freewarepalm.com/

/tk
Old 05-25-2005, 02:40 PM   #33
QuikSand
lolzcat

I suspect the problem is here. Grrr.....
Old 05-25-2005, 03:06 PM   #34
Tara
Mascot

I don't know. That link was working when I've posted it...now neither I can wiew it.

It's a shame, always find good stuff there
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #35
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

According to PalmAddicts, freewarepalm has had some stability problems. As I said, it was working fine for me, so I'd just recommend to keep trying. They've been doing some site updates if I remember correctly...

/tk
Old 05-25-2005, 03:26 PM   #36
3ric
College Starter

The link tk posted works fine for me...

Btw, does anyone know of a freeware spreadsheet for the Palm OS?

Last edited by 3ric : 05-25-2005 at 03:39 PM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:37 PM   #37
QuikSand
lolzcat

I continue to have all sorts of troubles with the FreewarePalm site. Frequently I cannot connect at all... other times it launches a variety if popups, and geenrally crashes FireFox for me. Alas.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:40 PM   #38
QuikSand
lolzcat

I recently gave a look at the Palm OS port of Galaga, but I am disappointed that it seems the trial vrsion only allows you to play for around 30 seconds before asking for a code.

The game looks great - it's clearly a perfect port including the sound and perfect graphics... but the limitation in play makes it practically impossible to tell whether the game play is worth anything. My guess is that it's too hard to see bombs being droped, and that fact probably really compromises play -- ergo the strict trial limitation.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:49 PM   #39
QuikSand
lolzcat

Bumping out of curiosity... anyone have any new additions to the list of good Palm-based software out there? Free or pay, I'm open to either...
Old 12-19-2005, 03:05 PM   #40
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Just jumping in to say that I'd be interested in hearing about some of the software options as well. Just got a Palm T|X a week or so ago.

Only thing I can add to the list is:

Sudoku Lite
Freeware. Works fairly well with a nice feature set. My only gripe is that the difficulty setting seems unreliable. I've tried games on "easy" that I've solved in five-ten minutes, but other "easy" ones have taken more than an hour and required elaborate cross-referencing to figure out.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #41
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz

Sudoku Lite
Freeware. Works fairly well with a nice feature set. My only gripe is that the difficulty setting seems unreliable. I've tried games on "easy" that I've solved in five-ten minutes, but other "easy" ones have taken more than an hour and required elaborate cross-referencing to figure out.

I have a freeware version of a Sudoko game (which predates the craze) called Single Number, which has been very reliable for me. Might be worth a search.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:05 PM   #42
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'll post a list of what I have on my TX a bit later this evening. I have to hit the bike and do some work first. Ping me if I haven't done it by 10 p.m. ET tonight.

/tk
Old 12-20-2005, 12:54 AM   #43
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
I have a freeware version of a Sudoko game (which predates the craze) called Single Number, which has been very reliable for me. Might be worth a search.
Thanks. I found a version 1.7 of that game. Didn't load it yet, but will likely give it a shot. Appears to be shareware for $10 now.

I hacked around with a few game demos this evening:

Spaceward Ho:
Somewhat neutered version of the old classic space game. Not bad, but there isn't enough there for me to shell out the $20 they want for the game.

Panzer Assault:
This is a remake of the Panzer Leader game. Nicely done, but it doesn't appear that your units carry experience as they did with the PC version, and there doesn't appear to be a campaign. Those two features added so much to the PC game, IMHO, that the game would feel empty without them. Again, a no purchase for me.

Legacy:
This is the first Palm game that has impressed me. Functional graphics, extensive RPG world, and what looks like detailed character building. I'm going to try play a bit of time with this one over the next few days. I might spend the $20 to get the full version.

One thing that I realized I'm looking for in Palm games is the ability to do something in five- and ten-minute stints. If I'm home, I'd much rather play on the computer, and if I'm outside, I'm not likely to have much longer than that to play.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 12-20-2005 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:30 PM   #44
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Godzilla Blitz, I helped test Legacy and all of it's add-ons. I know the guys that work on it and I must say, it's one of the games that I always kept on my Palm, until I beat i in every possible configuration and then some.

Once I've eaten dinner, I'll post up my lists...

/tk
Old 12-20-2005, 07:24 PM   #45
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ok. My current Palm is a TX. My previous Palm was a Tungsten C, before that it was a Palm m505, before that a Dell Axim X5, and before that, a Palm IIIxe. There are some nay-sayers out there that say that Palm is a dying OS, but I honestly believe Palm is on the upswing. I also must say that the TX is the *BEST* device I've used to date. Though I've used and do quite like the Dell Axim x50v (x51v), I think that for the price, size, features, and screen quality, the TX is still superior.

Here's the list of stuff that's on my Palm TX.

First, the stuff on the RAM that was built-in and I haven't removed yet:
-Addit. I think this is trying to be what AvantGo was on older Palm devices, because as far as I know, AvantGo isn't compatible with newer devices (admittedly I haven't looked in awhile).

-Calc. Very basic calculator, but it gets the job done.

-Calendar. I know a lot of people use Agendus for their schedules and contacts, but I like the version of Calendar built-in with the TX. They've upgraded it a bit from older devices.

-Card Info. Yeah, nothing really important to say here.

-Contacts. A basic address book. I find I don't have much need for the gucci's you find in using Agendus or the other "improvement" programs. I used Agendus on my T|C for the calendar features, but never felt a need to put it on my TX.

-Dialer. I suppose if I had a bluetooth phone, I could use this to dial into a network and connect to the internet on my Palm via BT, but I don't have a BT phone nor a data plan for my phone, so it's pretty useless to me.

-Documents to Go. Version 7.006 is the version that comes with the TX and it's muchly improved over versions 5 & 6 which I used in the past on my older devices. I've heard rumors that there's a version 8 out there now with native PDF support, but I haven't tried it yet.

-Expense. A program for people to track their expenses. Personally I don't use it, but if I were to go on a business trip for work, I might...

-Favorites. A "menu feature" that allows you to set your favorite programs and then access them from a customized menu.

-Hot Sync. Yeah, nothing to say here that you probably don't already know.

-Media. A program for viewing photographs you have stored on your device. Nice if you have a few pictures you want to share with others and you're not near a computer to access the web or a harddrive.

-Memos. The tried and true default/standard Memo Pad program. Still one of my most-used programs.

-Prefs. Again, this is a standard thing for Palms, just let's you access the preferences pages.

-pTunes. A media player. I don't really use it, but keep it around.

-SMS. Never used it, not sure if it requires a phone connection via BT or if it'll work with WiFi. Never really had a reason to use it, I guess.

-Solitaire. A simple solitaire game, the standard game that everybody knows and loves.

-Tasks. Same task app that has been a staple of Palm's core platform for ages.

-VersaMail. A mail application. I don't use it, as I primarily use GMail and can easily access my GMail over the net via WiFi.

-Web. The web browser, Blazer. Not a bad browser.

-World Clock. A clock tool that IIRC has an alarm feature. I don't use it, but when I tried to delete the same program from my old T|C, something went awry and it made the clock program I *DO* use, Palmary Clock, stop working.

Now, for items on the RAM that I've installed on my own:
-Bike Or Die! A fun little program you can play for a few seconds or a few hours. Steer your bike through challenging courses, get the best time, upload your times to the BoD website and use it to compete with others. Also, you can download more courses if you get bored with the ones you have and you can create your own. This is a review I wrote of it about a year ago.

-Cleanup. This is a part of the Neat Freak Pack from NorthGlide. A useful tool to find orphaned files on your device and/or card.

-Palmary Clock. A fully functional clock that I also use as my daily alarm clock, and to set alarms for whatever else I might need.

-eReader Pro. I read a lot of books on ebook from eReader. The price is generally slightly cheaper than mass market paperbacks and ebooks are quite convenient for me. Each their own, but I love them, and this is what I use to read them.

-FileZ. A freeware file manager utility. Though I don't use it too often, it's nice to have when I want it.

-OnGuard Backup. Another product from NorthGlide, this is part of the NeatFreakPLUS pack. It provides real-time backups of the items on your RAM to your memory card. I use this to backup my RAM and then once a week or so do a file copy of all the items from the card to my computer. This way, I'm not going to be in too much trouble if for some reason my Palm dies.

-Shadow Plan. A useful outlining application. It is what I use to plan out my thoughts on various items, such as the novel I'm working on.

-The Core Pocket Media Player. A highly functional media player that plays many different media types (movies and music). When I get a bigger SD card, I'll be able to burn DVD's (compressed) to the card and then can watch them on the Palm via TCPMP. It's arguably the best media player out there, and IT'S FREE!!!

-Uninstall Manager. Again, part of the NeatFreak pack. It's a program to properly remove installed applications, ensuring that all of the associated files are removed with it.

Finally, these are the files (ok, games) that I've got installed on my memory card:
-Arvale. A really fun role-playing game (sort of Zelda-esque) from the folks at PDAMill. I helped test a lot of their Palm software, so actually have all of their Palm games.

-Gamebox Asia. Mahjohng game with beautiful graphics. Another PDAMill port.

-Bejeweled 2. Just like the original Bejeweled, with prettier graphics and more "mini-games" within the game. From Astraware.

-Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars. I bought this after reading rave reviews of it and trying it out. It's apparently a game based on existing PC and PS games, but I honeslty haven't had a chance to play it much. I plan on getting some QT in with it over the holiday. Also from Astraware.

-Gamebox Classics. One of the PDAMill games I have but haven't played too much. 6 classic games you may remember from old-school computers are on it.

-Gamebox Gems. Another PDAMill port, with 8 gem-based puzzle games in it. A nice time-waster.

-Open Chess. A freeware game that is also open source. A pretty nice chess game, great for the price!!!

-Patience Revisited. Solitaire package with 24 different games on it. Graphics are OK, but the game selection really can't be beat. Oh yeah, it's free!!

-Snails. Remember that nice turn-based strategy game, Worms? This is a port of it for the Palm, with cute graphics and a fun story line. It includes a head-to-head "Deathmatch" mode and a "story" mode. Great game. Also from PDAMill (I love those guys!).

-Sol Free. A nice freeware solitaire game with 5 games to choose from. The graphics for this game are really spectacular! Unfortunately it doesn't play in landscape mode, but that's a small complaint.

-Gamebox Solitaire I & II. Another beautiful port from the folks at PDAMill, the graphics in this one are what makes it stand out. There are a variety of solitaire versions between the 2 games.

-Top of the League. A Palm soccer managment sim, think of it as a pared down Football Manager. Until FM2006 comes out for the PSP, this is how I take FM on the road!

And that folks, is it. If you have any questions on specific apps, let me know, I'm more than happy to answer. Also, if you have questions on apps I don't have listed here, there's a high likeliehood that I've either used them or heard the buzz on the street from some Palm and PPC power users (I'm a member of a few discussion groups with some hardcore users), so feel free to ask questions!!!

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 12-20-2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #46
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thanks for the list, tk. I've come to depend on you. A few there I will be giving a try soon, I'm sure.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:57 PM   #47
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the list, tk. I've come to depend on you. A few there I will be giving a try soon, I'm sure.

Ditto. Thanks, tk.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:35 PM   #48
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Yes, Thanks tk. That Soccer Management game in particular looks interesting.

I messed around with the Legacy RPG a bit today. I'm definitely leaning toward buying it. Perfect for short gaming. Can run around and do something in five minutes, save, then come back to it later. Great.

Also, following your link to the PDAMill led me to:
Traffic Mania
Looks like an interesting puzzle game. Complete all 300 levels within a week of buying the game and you can get another one of their games free!

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 12-20-2005 at 11:37 PM.