Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
FoxTrot to move to Sundays only

Another one of my favorite daily comics is going away. FoxTrot is one of the three I read each day (along with Dilbert and Pearls Before Swine). This isn't quite as saddening as when Calvin and Hobbes and Far Side went away, since it still will be done once a week.

hxxp://www.amuniversal.com/ups/newsrelease/?view=468

Quote:
FoxTrot to Cease Dailies

Kansas City, MO (12/05/2006) Bill Amend’s popular FoxTrot comic strip will go to a Sunday-only publication schedule as of Dec. 31, 2006, announced Universal Press Syndicate today. The last daily will be Saturday, Dec. 30. Reruns of dailies will be available for Web usage.

“After spending close to half of my life writing and drawing FoxTrot cartoons, I think it’s time I got out of the house and tried some new things,” said Amend. “I love cartooning and I absolutely want to continue doing the strip, just not at the current all-consuming pace. I’ve been blessed over the years with a terrific syndicate, patient newspaper clients, and more support from readers than I probably deserve, and I want to assure them all that while I’ll be now a less-frequent participant on the comics pages, I’ll continue to treat my visits as the special privilege they are.”

Amend, who started the strip in April, 1988, and who has more than 1,000 client newspapers, is taking time to pursue other creative outlets. “In addition to Sunday newspapers, we may see FoxTrot entertaining us in other kinds of media platforms,” says Lee Salem, president and editor of Universal Press Syndicate.

Amend has more than 30 published FoxTrot comic collections and has licensed his characters for calendars and wallpapers for cell phones. He was nominated in 2006 as a finalist for cartoonist of the year by the National Cartoonists Society’s Reuben Award.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Agreed. Although my interest in comics pretty much completely died with C&H's departure, FoxTrot was still one I would occasionally read and get a laugh out of.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that being a good, original daily cartoonist must be really hard. Coming up with and creating a laugh-worthy panel every day of the year cannot be an easy task. I can see why people burn out with it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
vtbub
College Starter

No!

A daily staple for 14 years. Hopefully he can tell great stories in one day like his two week ones he excelled at.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

Does anyone read Opus? I've only seen it a couple of times. Seems like Berkeley Breathed has lost the magic...

Last edited by Kodos : 12-06-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Does anyone read Opus? I've only seen it a couple of times. Seems like Berkeley Breathed has lost the magic...

I had no idea what Opus was before... I just noticed when it replaced Dilbert as the front-page comic in the Winnipeg Free Press. I tried reading it, but found it tedious and boring. It was replaced by "For Better or for Worse" as the front-page comic now... so I think I'm not the only one who didn't like Opus.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

It too is a Sunday only. It seems that only having one comic a week has kept him from building up any story lines, which were key to Bloom County.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #8
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I had no idea what Opus was before... I just noticed when it replaced Dilbert as the front-page comic in the Winnipeg Free Press. I tried reading it, but found it tedious and boring. It was replaced by "For Better or for Worse" as the front-page comic now... so I think I'm not the only one who didn't like Opus.

How do newspapers decide what comic strips to add, and what to keep, anyway? I mean, they probably don't have ratings or anything.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #9
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

There must be some sort of ratings, but with Jim Davis still getting paid to draw Garfield every day, I dunno.. It's the same thing over and over!

Jon: "Wake up, Garfield."
Garfield: "No."
Jon: "I have lasagna."
Garfield: "OK, I'm awake. By the way, you're a loser."

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 12-06-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:01 PM   #10
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
There must be some sort of ratings, but with Jim Davis still getting paid to draw Garfield every day, I dunno.. It's the same thing over and over!

Hey! I like Garfield! You should be paid to write a Pumpy daily comic, with real pictures as the panels.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #11
KevinNU7
College Starter

while it must be hard to come up with something funny each day I find it hard to believe that someone could spend 8 hours a day working on one comic stip. I think some could spend 8 hours and come up with a few and then take a few days off.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

Either that, or creative ways to smash spiders.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote