Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
Dutch
"Dutch"

Eric Dickerson on NFL Union: "A JOKE"

Okay, I hate unions, especially ones that gouge for money when it isn't deserved. But if Eric Dickerson wants to champion the pension fund for retired players, if it's really bad, I will applaud that and I will even go so far as to support it.

This is on video on the Yahoo site right now, so I can't back it up with text, but I found this rationale particularly misguided. I'm guessing he just worded it poorly, so I'm not really going to hold it against him.

ERIC DICKERSON - "Retired NFL players don't have good pensions. Look at Baseball, look at basketball, those are good unions. The NFL's is a joke. I was talking to a guy yesterday and he was like, 'What? I get a better pension than that, and I was in the military.'--I mean, look at this guy, he's a soldier, he's been to war, and he gets a better pension than the football players do."

Right intention, I know what he's saying...but damn that part kind of busted the wind out of the old sails for me.

Last edited by Dutch : 07-06-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Eric Dickerson on the sideline: also a joke
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm not sure I get what his point was. It seemed to be pretty much the way it came out. The only thing I could see him arguing would be that baseball or basketball players get a better pension than the military, and contrasting the NFL's pension to those.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Okay, I hate unions, especially ones that gouge for money when it isn't deserved. But if Eric Dickerson wants to champion the pension fund for retired players, if it's r

If Erik Dickerson wants the union to do something about pensions, he should have done something about it when those pensions were coming out of HIS paycheck, and not the guys playing now.

His generation was too short sighted to feel that increasing pensions was necessary, why should the guys playing now have to?

If you're too short sighted to think about your future, you shoudnt rely on other people to take care of you.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

If E.D. didn't like the NFL pension plan he should have gone and fought for his country instead. Lucky veterans and their cushy pensions...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yes, it was a bad point that he made. But no one expects athletes to be geniuses. Especially in the era of professional collegiate "student" athletes.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Eric Dickerson on the sideline: also a joke

Eric Dickerson on the 92 Raiders. Two jokes in one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Dr. Z has a good piece about this today as well. My sense is that it's good business for the NFL to keep disgruntled retirees happy and quiet -- especially as the louder they get, the more scrutiny football will get in terms of its dangers and long-term effects.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
JediKooter
Coordinator

Eric Dickerson can make plenty of money on Joes Vs. Pros.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post
Dr. Z has a good piece about this today as well. My sense is that it's good business for the NFL to keep disgruntled retirees happy and quiet -- especially as the louder they get, the more scrutiny football will get in terms of its dangers and long-term effects.

The problem is, its not the NFL's decision to make, its the current members of the NFLPA, and theyve given a resounding NO as an answer.

Any money going towards retirees has to come out of paychecks (because salary cap is revenue based) and the current players have said they dont want to pay. Why should they have to pay extra because previous players didnt feel their future was an important consideration?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #11
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
The problem is, its not the NFL's decision to make, its the current members of the NFLPA, and theyve given a resounding NO as an answer.

Right. My sense of things differs from the players' sense of things. I tend to think that the NFL will be more willing to budge on finding a solution than the players because it makes better business sense for them to do so. There's no real advantage for the players (outside of charity), especially as most of them are trying to make their own mark on history. Plus think about your average high-school jock, and ask yourself how willing he was to help out anyone else.

Quote:
Any money going towards retirees has to come out of paychecks (because salary cap is revenue based) and the current players have said they dont want to pay. Why should they have to pay extra because previous players didnt feel their future was an important consideration?

*nods*
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
E.D. took a paycut to go to the pros vs. his senior year at SMU.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #13
Synovia
High School Varsity

The problem is, the CBA closely defines what revenue can be used on, and I'm pretty sure the NFL can't start handing out money without violating the CBA.