Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Medical Procedure...

So, it looks like I'm going to have a colonoscopy/endoscopy on May 6th, to find out what is causing my iron deficiency anemia. Hurray?

Anyone have any experience with these? I've seen the online stories about perforated bowels and dying while under. But I'm hoping to get some insight from people I trust.

Have to admit I'm a bit nervous. But talking to the nurse, she said the doctor performing mine is very good at it.

BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
Andreh
n00b

dying???
Never saw that happened, had operated on a perforated though. Not that big deal I would say, yes, a big pain ITA, but not that serious or dangerous, if diagnosed at the procedure. Important exams, specially with low iron.
BTW, Im gonna schedule both for me this year. And the urologist too.

Good luck with your exams, stay cool.
Andreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreh View Post

Good luck with your exams, stay cool.

Thanks!

I'm guessing the good thing is that the doctor said all my blood work looks good except for the iron. Hopefully, I won't have to deal with a urologist for several more years (I'm 42).
Old 04-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
So, it looks like I'm going to have a colonoscopy/endoscopy on May 6th, to find out what is causing my iron deficiency anemia. Hurray?

Anyone have any experience with these? I've seen the online stories about perforated bowels and dying while under. But I'm hoping to get some insight from people I trust.

Have to admit I'm a bit nervous. But talking to the nurse, she said the doctor performing mine is very good at it.

Worst thing by far is the prep liquid you have to drink to clean everything out first. Once I got to the actual procedure all I remember is rolling on one side before the anestethsia kicked in and woke up in recovery. So that was a breeze.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreh View Post
Not that big deal I would say, yes, a big pain ITA

Literally, figuratively, or both?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

The prep is actually better then it used to be. Ask for prepopik if you can get it. Two 5 ounce glasses of the solution, which is actually not bad taste wise and several glasses of water to chase it.

I have Barrett's esophagus so I need an annual endo to make sure I have not developed dysplasia or cancer and it coincided with my over 50 colonoscopy this year, so had both done together.

Honestly, after the prep and starving for half a day the procedure is a breeze. You will be well sedated and outside of some discomfort a couple of days after there are no ill effects. Best of luck.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I had both done and I wasn't as lucky as path12. I was warned that the anesthesia would likely start to wear off before the procedures were finished. Sure enough -- there was still about five minutes (guessing) of rooting around during the colonoscopy when I was starting to come out of it. I was still very foggy so it was more like "feel it and forget it", but that was my experience. I do remember groaning a lot during that fog time, so I guess I'm a weenie-tot when it comes to pain.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I had one several years ago - can't remember anything about it and frankly was hugely uneventful.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Both are highly safe procedures with minor risks mostly due to unusual reactions to anesthesia. I have a strong family history so I have had both done. The worst part is the prep but that has gotten much better.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #10
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I've seen the online stories about perforated bowels and dying while under. But I'm hoping to get some insight from people I trust.

I have no experience with colonoscopies. But I've now had 18 surgeries and have had either general or sedation anesthesia for all of them (only one was planned to be local only and that changed when the hardware didn't come out). Anesthesia has come a long way over the years. The drugs are better, the monitoring is better... your biggest risk of "dying while under" comes from general anesthesia performed by someone not an anesthesiologist or CRNA. I've read horror stories of some places just having the urologist (or whatever doc it is that does the procedure) doing the sedation and that doesn't usually go well. But if you're having it done in a hospital or (more likely) surgery center/dedicated endoscopy center, it's likely that they have the right people. And they will probably only sedate you so you are comfortable and don't remember it, instead of doing a full general (which is even safer, typically). Yes, it's still a risk, but you have a much greater risk of nausea from the drugs.

Hope it all goes well.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #11
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Bill-

I'm 36 and have had to have 9 colonoscopies and 4 endoscopies and can say that they really aren't terrible. Frankly, at least given my condition, the prep is bad because I have a number of fissures and inflammations inside so the prep feels like literally pouring salt on a wound for 3 hours. If I didn't have those problems, really, the procedures would be next to nothing.

I've had full general and sedation and, if I had my preference, being completely out is best but both work.

Don't sweat it, honestly, it'll go well and, in the end (no pun intended), it's a day off work and is genuinely less invasive than other procedures.

Good luck, hope the results are good for you.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #12
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Just got home...

Two polyps removed, one stomach and one colon. Doctor also said it looks like I have an ulcer that is on the mend.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Just got home...

Two polyps removed, one stomach and one colon. Doctor also said it looks like I have an ulcer that is on the mend.

Did it go smoothly in terms of pain for you?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #14
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Did it go smoothly in terms of pain for you?

Oh yeah. They put the drugs in and the next thing I remember is my wife waking me up.