Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2005, 11:38 PM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Total Extreme Wrestling 2005

I am looking for something to tide me over until ehm north america patch comes out someday and Bowl Bound (soon I hope ). Anyways I love the way Greydog software has been dedicating themselves to their games and was wondering about "Total Extreme Wrestling 2005 "? what is it? Is it a rpg game based around wrestling? How does the game play? I can't figure out how you could make agame based on a sport................sorry I mean....a form of entertainment (for some) that is like pro wrestling.

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

TEW is a "promoter" simulation game. You basically put yourselves in the shoes of a wrestling promoter, create titles, make matches, handle backstage personell, schedule events etc. etc.

Here is Adam Ryland's (TEW's developer) last Freeware Wrestling Promoter sim before going commercial, Extreme Warfare Revenge v4.2

http://www.ewbattleground.com/ewrfiles/ewr4.2.zip
Old 09-01-2005, 02:17 AM   #3
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
I am looking for something to tide me over until ehm north america patch comes out someday and Bowl Bound (soon I hope ). Anyways I love the way Greydog software has been dedicating themselves to their games and was wondering about "Total Extreme Wrestling 2005 "? what is it? Is it a rpg game based around wrestling? How does the game play? I can't figure out how you could make agame based on a sport................sorry I mean....a form of entertainment (for some) that is like pro wrestling.

The thing i don't like is that you need to decide who will win, on which round etc, this is not a problem on the game but on the Wrestling. As you said, it's not a sport but an expectacle, think on it more like hollywood mogul, where you are the promoter, hire the performers, create the fight plot, etc and all that to be able to create the most successfull wrestling espectacle while competing with other promoters. Of course it's really detailed whith interactions betwen players, etc etc. A great game if you like that, but don't think on it as a sports sim.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:29 AM   #4
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
The thing i don't like is that you need to decide who will win, on which round etc, this is not a problem on the game but on the Wrestling. As you said, it's not a sport but an expectacle, think on it more like hollywood mogul, where you are the promoter, hire the performers, create the fight plot, etc and all that to be able to create the most successfull wrestling espectacle while competing with other promoters. Of course it's really detailed whith interactions betwen players, etc etc. A great game if you like that, but don't think on it as a sports sim.

Yep. It's not a sports sim. More like a business/strategy sim.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:22 AM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

They're a pretty cool series of games - not really my 'thing' ... but cool all the same
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:28 AM   #6
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Does TEW cost money? Being a wrestling fan, I think that would be al ot of fun. If any of you have ever heard of e-feds, I have done a lot of those and they are a helluva lot of fun too.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:54 AM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Costs $25 I think
Old 09-01-2005, 09:37 AM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic
Does TEW cost money? Being a wrestling fan, I think that would be al ot of fun. If any of you have ever heard of e-feds, I have done a lot of those and they are a helluva lot of fun too.

The last free one doesn't cost money, and that's all I've played. I also played TNM 6 and 7 A LOT before... I haven't tried TEW, but it's supposed to be better than the free ones.

I've also been in multiple efeds, and they are fun. You need quite a bit of time to write good promos though.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:42 AM   #9
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

BTW, on the pen and paper side, there's a new wrestling RPG out called WWE: Know Your Role.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #10
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I gave the link for the last free Extreme Warfare series game up there. Give it a shot.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:26 AM   #11
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Yeah, Mike, you do need to invest a good amount of time (especially if you are running the fed, which I have done on multiple occasions) but they can be a helluva lot of fun, especially if you have a good group of people around you (staff and others)
Old 09-01-2005, 11:23 PM   #12
jander
n00b

I played EWR quite a bit, never got around to getting TEW (which was the first pay version of the game by Adam and released by .400 Software Studios), I am looking forward to Adam's new version.

Last year's version is here:
http://www.400softwarestudios.com/tew/tew_overview.php

There is a demo of it as well.

As for the free game EWR, there are downloads people have created for real wrestlers/feds.
jander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:29 AM   #13
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Greydog has posted a review on their main page.

http://www.onlineonslaught.com/colum...20050901.shtml

This would seem to indicate that the game (and a demo) would be coming out soon.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Adam posted a note back on the 28th of august saying the game was in final beta testing.. and even before that they said it'd be out before the end of September.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:58 PM   #15
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The game will be released on Oct. 6. Demo on Sept. 29

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/news.php?id=187
Old 09-06-2005, 10:12 PM   #16
jbmagic
Pro Starter

New TEW 2005 Trailer:
http://www.greydogsoftware.com/media.php?id=2

New Screen added:
http://www.greydogsoftware.com/image.../promotion.jpg
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #17
jbmagic
Pro Starter

There will be a Developer's chat with Adam Ryland Today

Quote:
Grey Dog Software is pleased to announce our Developer's chat with Adam Ryland, the creator of Total Extreme Wrestling 2005. The Chat will be held on September 10th at 2:00PM CST in #GDS on the Stratics IRC servers. This is your chance to ask questions directly to the developer of TEW2005!

You will need to download an IRC client (mIRC, pirch, or another IRC client) and then connect to irc.stratics.com or, alternatively, to one of the following servers:

stratics.frws.com port 6668, USA - Colorado
irc.glowfish.de port 6668, EU - Germany
stratics.afraidyet.net 6668, USA - Texas
irc.epaxsys.net port 6668, USA - Colorado

Once you are connected, you can join the #GDS channel by typing /join #GDS

For more information on how to get connected using mIRC, please visit http://chat.stratics.com

You will find a Quick connect guide at http://chat.stratics.com/content/co...uickconnect.php

We look forward to seeing you there!

Tara Clover
Grey Dog Software
[email protected]
Old 09-28-2005, 09:21 PM   #18
jbmagic
Pro Starter

the demo comes out tommorrow.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:42 PM   #19
WrongWay
Banned

I've been waiting on this one, as it takes you back to the good old days of wrestling, when there were many different leagues around the world.

And, there will be MP!

Last edited by WrongWay : 09-28-2005 at 11:43 PM.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:47 PM   #20
Terps
College Prospect

Multiplayer is just hot seat style. You have to send the files over e-mail to the other player.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:20 AM   #21
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps
Multiplayer is just hot seat style. You have to send the files over e-mail to the other player.
Like FOF then?

Also, I am very dissapointed that MP is limited to 4 players. Seems like there should be more with all the different "teams" in the game.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:39 AM   #22
Icy
Pro Starter

Demo is out at greydog website for those interested, i'm going to purchase it, i'm not a big wrestling fan, but the game is incredible deep as entertainment company managing. Let's say like a hollywood mogul where you create the fights, storylines etc instead of movies, but way more deep.

Last edited by Icy : 09-29-2005 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:14 AM   #23
Terps
College Prospect

What I meant by that... Say you and I started a multiplayer game and I was NWA TNA and you were the WWE. I would run my day in TNA, zip up the file and send it to you, then you would run your day in WWE, zip up the file and send it back to me, and so on.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:50 AM   #24
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
What I meant by that... Say you and I started a multiplayer game and I was NWA TNA and you were the WWE. I would run my day in TNA, zip up the file and send it to you, then you would run your day in WWE, zip up the file and send it back to me, and so on.
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:57 AM   #25
Terps
College Prospect

Just messed around with the demo a little bit, I can't really get much into it now with the fictional data, but it's good from what I've seen. I'll definitely buy, and the real life data should be out on release day (Oct. 6th.)

I love the road agents when booking a match. You tell the road agent how to set the match up, (Who wins, have the workers call it on the fly, have a squash match, one worker win but make the other look strong, etc.) Really deep there. Storylines are a great addition, and make setting up a feud a piece of cake. Also like the road agent notes after the match instead of detailed results.

Tried hiring two workers, both stopped talking to me after I wouldn't meet their demands. The game is fun and has a lot of depth, but it's hard for me to book a show and not know the wrestlers. I had to keep checking who was in what position on the card, who were heels and faces, etc. Where if I was playing with TNA, ROH, WWE, or some of the feds in Japan I wouldn't have to do that.

I ran one show with a pure style fed (no angles, interviews and the like, the way it should be) based in Japan, I got a B rating for the show.

I know a lot of people here can get into fictional games though, so check it out. Adam's CornellVerse, while not for me, does go very deep. He constantly updates the universe, and even has a website for the CornellVerse so you can get a history on it and get to know the feds and workers. It has about 800 workers and 10 or so federations.

The converter for TEW '04 or WreSpi to TEW '05 will be out later today, so I'll probably convert the last RaveX update from '04 to '05 and then mess around with it some more.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:02 AM   #26
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
The game will be released on Oct. 6. Demo on Sept. 29

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/news.php?id=187

Ok, it's the 29th where's the demo?

Seriously, I know it's not for everyone but TEW is one of my favorite games ever. It's less of a game than an exercise in creativity and it's just plain fun for me to dream and create matchups and have a world of my own design to play with.

The picking of the winners/losers is very integral in the design because that's how you really are creating the universe as opposed to living it which is what you do in a standard sports sim. It feels like creative writing which I also love to do.

It's "lets make a world where Tampa Bay wins the superbowl next year" vs "lets see who wins the superbowl next year."

The former is entertainment the latter is a game. To me, this is how I think of TEW vs the sports sims. Hope this helps
Old 09-29-2005, 05:03 AM   #27
Axxon
Pro Starter

Dola,

Oops, the demo is out. See you guys in a month or two.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:07 AM   #28
Terps
College Prospect

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ead.php?t=4971

There's the demo impressions thread from GDS.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:12 AM   #29
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ead.php?t=4971

There's the demo impressions thread from GDS.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:46 AM   #30
Izulde
Head Coach

My comments are in that impressions thread.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:18 PM   #31
WrongWay
Banned

Are we going to get some game reviews this weekend?

WOW, this sound interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent
The heart of the storyline & angle system is based on an hundred year old theatre theorics book written by George Polti (The 36 Basic Plots) I studied in school. When I studied it, I never thought it would ever come handy, I wasn't studying theatre or arts, but Journalism, the course in which I learned that theory was just schedule filler for me that I chose because it was kinda related to writing. Just proving that the boring algebra class or that bore ass philosophy class CAN be useful.

Then time came to pitch ideas for that feature. So I pitched. A couple programmers in the past, myself included, couldn't do anything with the 36 plots as a base for a flexible storyline system. Too complicated to code. But look here. Adam is a tremendous coder.

You can create any story with this system. It encompasses all possibilities of stories possible from the dramatic to the comedic, to the treason, and the quest, and rivalries and screwjobs and man you can do it all. YOU write it! YOU! It's Yours! YOUR the writer now!

This is a selling point and not only because I laid down the plan for it. Because it is UNIQUE, there is nothing like it in any other game. It's worth buying this game alone.

Last edited by WrongWay : 09-29-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:04 PM   #32
Dekanth
Mascot

I was a big fan of the last free game Adam released, but this demo is so tedious. Nothing is intuitive at all. It is deep, but dare I say it is too deep to really get a grip on what effects things you do have. I have been playing with it for a few hours now, taking over a smaller fed, taking the time to learn all my wrestlers and then booking a first show. It was boring. I suppose if you are going to devote MASSIVE amounts of time to this, then great, but if you want to play casually for an hour here or a half hour there, it is nothing but frustration. More is not always better, the simplicity of the freeware version was just fun....oh well.
Dekanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:06 PM   #33
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I like it, I like it a lot. This is what TEW2004 should have been
Old 09-29-2005, 10:20 PM   #34
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

ok, someone asked me to expand on what I said.

Here goes.

Building a card is much better then in previous versions. There's no throwing guys out there match after match and having super matches, and the crowd just goes nuts for three hours.

It's not possible. The crowd would be dead by match 4. There's just so much they can give.

It's a matter of building then. Tell the first few matches's wrestlers to "Work the Crowd", ie, build the crowd, but don't have 9 million near falls and people kicking out of finishers multiple times.

Feature a squash match or two to build someone up. (use the "Dominate" and "Decisive Finish" abilities to really put over the winner)

then, as you get closer to the main event, amp it up. Tell em to have an "Open Match" Ie, an even match where the ending comes down to who hits the final big move.

Then in the semi-main and the main event? Tell em "Go All out" Have em leave it all out in the ring. Why? Cuz this is the last look the fans will have of your guys until the next time you come by (which may be weeks or months later!).. and you want them going home amped, ready to buy tickets for your next show.

The average fan likes "matches" but what they really want is storylines. Things that don't make you feel like it's a bunch of random matches string together. Build on it, from show to show.. Like building up pressure before the launch.

Whatever style you want, they probably cover. They even broke down Lucha Libre into three distinct styles.

Want to book your fed towards the ECW Mutants? Plenty of Hardcore matches, some crazy matches, and lots of talking/T&A?

Go towards the typical indy crowd? Build a Technical/Workrate fed, with a few spot monkeys (the guys doing the rediculously aerial moves) to flip flop around and jazz up the show.

Want to get TV notice? Sports Entertainment. Lots of talking, some big guys, some T&A, a little of column a, a little of row b, etcetera.

Awesome so far. I'm willing to answer other questions if folks want...
Old 09-30-2005, 04:45 AM   #35
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm not into wrestling, only watched it in the 80's when the WWF was brought here by one private TV channel. It was exciting at first until i saw it all was fake and not a real sport.

But... i'm really hooked to the demo as bussines/entertainment company simulation. As i said before, i see it as a Hollywood mogul but related to wrestling, you create the storylines, sign the workers, deal with TV and PPV, merhandising etc. It's so deep and i'm having some problems about knowing what to do because my lack of wrestling knowledge but slowly i'm learning about it reading at websites etc. I'll buy this game next week in the release date.

SirFozzie, do you mind if i ask you some basic wrestling questions from time to time?
Old 09-30-2005, 05:32 AM   #36
Terps
College Prospect

I can't speak for SirFozzie, but you're welcome to ask me too.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:17 AM   #37
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Gah. It's become a monster. Too complicated for a casual gamer like me.

I think that while the storyline creator is probably the deepest I've seen... it's way too deep for me. :P

I'll just sit here and enjoy my EWR.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:55 AM   #38
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
I'm not into wrestling, only watched it in the 80's when the WWF was brought here by one private TV channel. It was exciting at first until i saw it all was fake and not a real sport.

Lesson #1:

It's definitely a real sport (notice the athleticism involved) and is most definitely NOT fake. It is pre-determined, but saying it's fake is rather disrespectful to all of the wrestlers out there that put themselves on the line 300+ days a year just to keep us entertained. There's a lot of effort involved in being a wrestler. It's also a lot more self-driven than many sports.

I'm a casual fan, not a die-hard by any means. But I hate when people call it fake, or not a sport. These guys are getting they're heads busted in whether it's planned or not. Sure there are ways to make things hurt less, but they hurt either way.

Regards,
Chas
Old 09-30-2005, 08:58 AM   #39
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

How does this compare to Wresting Spirit.

(Note--I know the difference between the games. I am wondering how they play. What is the difference between fun and complexity, etc.?)
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:06 AM   #40
WrongWay
Banned

Having just spent 4 hours on the game, I am saying on the game because I have not yet advanced a day, so I still have not played the game yet. I can't believe how much there is to learn here. This game his Deep, Brother.

I've always thought of Wrestlers as more like Stuntmen than Athletes. Think about it. Is there a difference between a Stuntman and a Wrestler? Sorry, but Wrestling is not a sport, and you can't be an athlete if you don't play a sport.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:24 AM   #41
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in Cinti
Lesson #1:

It's definitely a real sport (notice the athleticism involved) and is most definitely NOT fake. It is pre-determined, but saying it's fake is rather disrespectful to all of the wrestlers out there that put themselves on the line 300+ days a year just to keep us entertained. There's a lot of effort involved in being a wrestler. It's also a lot more self-driven than many sports.

I'm a casual fan, not a die-hard by any means. But I hate when people call it fake, or not a sport. These guys are getting they're heads busted in whether it's planned or not. Sure there are ways to make things hurt less, but they hurt either way.

Regards,
Chas

I'm sorry if i offended you, but with sport i mean athletes competing for something and in wrestling there is no competition as the champions are pre decided etc. I agree that they must have the shape of an athlete and that they perform awesome stunts, but it's not a sport but a spectacle for me. With fake i mean that they are faking a fight, but not really hitting each other as in boxing or extreme figth.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #42
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I think there are too many clicks to get to look at a wrestler's stats.

Adam did release an update to the demo that fixed one of the things that I found irritating. With the update you can now filter your roster by booking ability which is great because it was a pain in the ass to look through every wrestler on your roster to see if you could put them on the booking team.

I really can't get into it using the Cornellverse, too many wrestlers to learn. Hopefully, the ravex update will work for the demo.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:50 AM   #43
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

dola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ryland
As requested, storyline importing and copying has been added, it's in version 3, which will be out today.

Yay!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #44
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
I'm sorry if i offended you, but with sport i mean athletes competing for something and in wrestling there is no competition as the champions are pre decided etc. I agree that they must have the shape of an athlete and that they perform awesome stunts, but it's not a sport but a spectacle for me. With fake i mean that they are faking a fight, but not really hitting each other as in boxing or extreme figth.
Wrestlers do compete, just not in the traditional sense of the word. They are competing for crowd response. Those that can get the coveted crowd response, make the most dollars.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:35 AM   #45
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital
Wrestlers do compete, just not in the traditional sense of the word. They are competing for crowd response. Those that can get the coveted crowd response, make the most dollars.

Ah. Like professional figure skaters, then.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:41 AM   #46
Icy
Pro Starter

Now Adam said that he will look into adding again the posibility to expecify the finish movement that you want when booking a match as it was in TEW04 but was removed in TEW05. He will try to have something done about it during the weekend.

I haven't ever played/purchased a game from Adam Ryland, and never payed a lot of atention to his releases. Now i regret as he is the kind of developer who really listen to his customers and has gained a lot of respect from me just from reading his answers and watching hiw work over this week. He is adding tons of new things to the game after the demo/open beta has been released and only a week before the release date.

Capital, i can't arge with you that they compete for a job, to gain crowd response and to make huge $$, but that doesn't mean that wrestling is a sport like boxing. Actors do the same in movies and movies are not sports. Wrestling fans can say that it's a great expectacle, that requires athletic workers, that it's probably so hard to reach the elite for that workers, etc, but you must accept that the fights are fake and that is why it won't be considered a sport by most of us, as i wouldn't consider football a sport if they only faked the tackles and the game outcome was already set.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:44 PM   #47
Raiders Army
Coordinator

You guys should try TNM if you haven't. www.tnm7.com
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 01:39 PM   #48
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

urgh. TNM. The press a button and watch scrolling screen after a scrolling screen, with none of the booking or real life things.

It's a match simulator, not a fed simulator really.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:06 PM   #49
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
The last free one doesn't cost money

Sorry, I just had to point out that I got a giggle out of this
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

1) What RA said (re: TNM). Oliver Copp is to wrestling sims what SI is to sports text sims in general AFAIC. TNM = best pure text game I ever saw hands down (and remains at least arguably the game on p.c. I've logged the most hours with, even tho I haven't played in at least a couple of years).

2) Icy re: Ryland -- he's always struck me a pretty good guy, which comes in handy in a very tough genre (pro wrestling game fans/fanboys can be a brutal audience). For him to be adding, updating, fixing, etc. is pretty much par for the course from him AFAIK, a hard worker that I was happy to see get a chance to "turn pro".