Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2003, 11:44 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Question Shaving - how do you do it/problems, etc.

I'm not one for polls, but following on QS' haircut poll, I'm wondering (a) how many people do the razor thing, as opposed to electric; and (b) how effective is your shaving technique.

As for me...

I have quite a bit of trouble shaving. I have switched back and forth from razors to electric shavers for years, finally going with razors a couple of years ago. Still, I am unable to get a decent shave. I either rub my face raw trying to get the hair off, or I end up looking like I've got 5 o'clock shadow at 6:45am. I basically have to shave "against the grain" to get any bit of hair off, except for on Monday morning, when it's much easier to shave the weekend growth away. But that only lasts for that one day, then it gets progressively worse as the week wears on. My face still hurts this afternoon from this morning's shave.

I find that using shaving cream - and I've tried a number of different options, although I haven't tried any of the "designer" expensive kinds - doesn't help at all (I end up bleeding or as raw as without shaving cream), so I usually just shave with hot water. I've been using the Mach 3, which was by far the best thing I've ever used, and the main reason I've gone strictly to razors. This week, I've tried the Quattro for the first time, and initially, I think it might be better than the Mach 3.

Overall, I think there's got to be a better way, I just haven't found it. What do you guys do? Am I alone in having so many problems? Honestly, if I simply shaved the normal way without going against the grain EVERYWHERE on my face, I would look like I didn't even shave. Is that normal?

I have a friend with way too much money to spend who got that electro-shock therapy that stunts facial hair growth, so he doesn't have to deal with shaving anymore (he lives in South Florida, what do you expect?). I think that's going a bit too far, but on the other hand, I wouldn't mind ridding myself of this pain in the ass once and for all.

Any thoughts?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:46 AM   #2
mckerney
Coordinator

(a) Electric, (b) I gets the job done
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:49 AM   #3
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Why not grow a beard? Then you only have to touch-up shave.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:51 AM   #4
Ksyrup

I tried that.

(a) I don't like it.
(b) My wife doesn't like it.
(c) It's awful to deal with 8 months of the year in Florida.
(d) We've put a man on the moon, shouldn't there be a more effective method to deal with facial hair?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-07-2003, 11:52 AM   #5
Subby
lolzcat

Gilllette Mach 3 Turbo, shave with the grain, every morning, in the shower. Replace the blades every two weeks.

Go slow. Give your face a break and don't shave on weekends.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:53 AM   #6
primelord
Pro Rookie

Ksyrup,

I have many of the same problems I always shave against the grain or I might as well not shave at all and it generally does rub my face raw. I also use the Mach 3, but I am intrigued that you said the Quattro may work better. I may have to give that a try.

I had an electric shaver with the 3 dial type blades but that just ate me up everytime. A buddy of mine has a Braun electric and I tried it once and it seemed to do a pretty good job, but I have't been able to convince myself to drop $200 on it yet to find out if it will work over the long haul.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:56 AM   #7
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby
Gilllette Mach 3 Turbo, shave with the grain, every morning, in the shower. Replace the blades every two weeks.

Wow. Every two weeks? I usually have to replace mine every 3-4 days. I go slow, but I have to repeat the same spots - against the grain - over and over again to shave the hair off. I don't shave on weekends, and Monday's shave is the only good shave I get.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:57 AM   #8
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

ditto primelord for the most part.

The only razor I had any sort of success with was the Sensor and one of the Edge gels. Unless I go against the grain myself it is a waste of time.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:58 AM   #9
McSweeny
College Starter

i shave just like Subby does
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:00 PM   #10
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
I also use the Mach 3, but I am intrigued that you said the Quattro may work better. I may have to give that a try.

I've only been using it since Monday, but so far, it appears to be noticeably better. Like some mutating virus, though, I expect that my face will adapt to the new razor and it'll wind up being the same old bad shave.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:09 PM   #11
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I reallllllly hope Afoci does not find this thread.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:09 PM   #12
spleen1015
Coordinator

Same as Subby, only weekly not daily.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:12 PM   #13
Butter
Coordinator

I use electric, because much like Ksyrup, it doesn't seem to make much difference how I do it, it still looks stubbly.

So, why cut myself? Problem is, electrics do hurt on Mon. morning.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:12 PM   #14
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I use the Mach 3 and some kind of shaving cream with Aloe. The way Ksyrup describes shaving reminds me of when I was back in High School, using the Gillette disposable razors my father used. Barbaric!
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:17 PM   #15
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I use the Mach 3, and Edge gel. I am cursed with heavy growth but sensitive skin. I HAVE to shave against the grain, and I HAVE to shave twice every morning. I complete one shave then, I immediately do it again. And still, at 4pm, it looks like I have never shaved at all. I keep an electric on hand at the office to keep it at bay. I am so sick of it, you would not believe.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 11-07-2003 at 12:18 PM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:21 PM   #16
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

I've pretty much adopted the mountain man look. I trim the ole' beard and moustache about twice a month, let it go other than that. My wife swore she didn't like men with facial hair, but I started doing it about 7 years ago as an act of rebellion against a shitty job I had at the time. Now she doesn't want me to shave it off.

I could never use an electric razor. It never got the job done, and most of the electric shaving alcohol concoctions tended to give me hives.

I tend to do some of the bottom trim with a Mach 3 Turbo and Barbasol against the grain...it works well, as long as you replace the blades regularly.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:27 PM   #17
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

I have had the exact same experience with shaving, Ksyrup, and have found the only way to avoid becoming a bloody pulp by Friday was to go the electric route. I have a 3-head Norelco razor and use Mennen electric pre-shave lotion prior to shaving. I'd say the shave isn't as close as with a blade razor, but it's decent enough that I'm willing to sacrifice some shave quality to keep my blood inside of my neck.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:29 PM   #18
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

I used to use Edge Gel, but i switched a couple years ago...........To shower gel. Believe it or not, it works better than any shaving cream i have ever tried. It's very smooth. I shave against the grain, never get cuts or anything. Try it and see what you think.
Wasabiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:37 PM   #19
John Galt
Pro Starter

Shaving in the shower with a little fog-proof mirror is the only way to go. The steam and moisture make everything smoother and easier.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:41 PM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I really should try shaving in the shower, as right now I also have a lot of problems. I use the Mach 3 Turbo as well. I have to against the grain to get any sort of half-decent look. I would love to grow a beard and mustache despite the heat in the south, but my wife HATES facial hair.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:46 PM   #21
cuervo72
Head Coach

I think JG's probably right about shaving in the shower. I've just been too lazy to get a mirror. Half the time I don't bother fully shaving, I'll just use a wet razor to trim away most of the stubble on my cheeks and neck, while leaving the goatee area alone. Every other day I'll do the full treatment, but never do it that well and will usually nick myself. Right now I have shaving cream, but I think gel generally works better. I've used dial soap before though and thought that that was good. Who knows.

I've done the beard thing before, but it gets to be a pain and my wife doesn't like it. Goatee is better, but she doesn't like that much either.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:50 PM   #22
Ksyrup

I may try shaving in the shower as well. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Wasabiak,

Any kind of shower gel, or is there a particular kind?
Old 11-07-2003, 12:56 PM   #23
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I use an electric razor, every day. I'd love to grow a goatee or something similar just on my chin like I used to do in college, but the wife hates facial hair and will start plucking it out with a tweezers if I don't shave. I pretty much have to shave everyday with an electric because if I let it go or use a blade, my hypersensitive skin goes nuts.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:03 PM   #24
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Eaglesfan27
I would love to grow a beard and mustache despite the heat in the south, but my wife HATES facial hair.

That's what my girlfriend used to say and now she loves my beard and would be very upset if I shaved it...

I go the electric route, but I only have to use it on my neck and cheeks since I have the beard going...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 01:05 PM   #25
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
I may try shaving in the shower as well. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Wasabiak,

Any kind of shower gel, or is there a particular kind?

Whatever is on sale. I prefer the Suave Aloe Vera and Water Lilly. But any flavor will get the job done. Ah, yes, i neglected to mention that i DO shave in the shower with the aforementioned fog free mirror. Very convenient, plus with my bad back, bending over the sink to shave is a no-no.

Last edited by Wasabiak : 11-07-2003 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:18 PM   #26
cuervo72
Head Coach

Good to know I'm not the only one who refers to shampoos and bath products (and candles) as having "flavors".
Old 11-07-2003, 01:19 PM   #27
Franklin
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby

Exactly what I do. I have a tough beard, and this is the only way to go.

Subby, I'm touched... you must have really been paying close attention.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 01:22 PM   #28
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Ksyrup,

I'm glad to see you've decided to try shaving in the shower. I make that the last thing I do before I get out, which gives the steam plenty of time to soften the whiskers.

I also use the Mach 3 (man, Gilette must be raking in the cash), but I don't use shaving cream. Instead, I use the old fashioned shaving soap and shaving brush (Burma Shave, as a matter of fact). I've been using Burt's Bees Bay Rum shaving soap for a few years now and it's the only thing I'll ever use. I also use the Bay Rum aftershave and it doesn't make your face and neck feel like it's on fire. It actually does soothe your skin.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:18 PM   #29
korme
Go Reds

i shave once a week

i love it
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:23 PM   #30
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
i shave once a week

i love it

That often?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:24 PM   #31
ice4277
Pro Rookie

dola

I have the same problems as KSyrup, I actually now shave BEFORE I take a shower, for some reason I seem to get less cuts that way, and the warm shower soothes the skin so it doesn't look bad when I get out. I may try the shaving in the shower idea though.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:32 PM   #32
mckerney
Coordinator

I shave 1 or 2 times a month because I'm lazy.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:40 PM   #33
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Shaving in the shower is the only way to go. Like some others, it's usually the last thing I do before I turn off the water. Lets those whiskers get nice and soft. There's a reason barbers used to wrap your face in a warm towel before giving you a shave. Just took me a few years to figure out what it was. Ah...I miss getting a good barber shop shave.

Last edited by Aylmar : 11-07-2003 at 02:41 PM.
Aylmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:48 PM   #34
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aylmar
Ah...I miss getting a good barber shop shave.

Sweeny Todd scared you off, eh?
Old 11-07-2003, 03:05 PM   #35
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I use the Norelco from the last James Bond movie. The marketing did their job on that one for me. I plunked down $125 for the razor, but I haven't had anyone remotely approaching Halle Berry status approach me. Maybe I need to try a different sensitivity setting or something.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 04:21 PM   #36
wbonnell
College Prospect

I also recommend shaving in the shower. However, it no doubt wastes a lot of water.

As for frequency, I only shave once, maybe twice a week. By the end of the week- today!- I look pretty scruffy. I suspect it bothers some people, but since the company policy doesn't explicitly mention shaving, and since it doesn't affect my performance (software engineer), I don't bother.
wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 04:37 PM   #37
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Am I the only guy with a beard on the board? (or just the only guy with a beard who feels a need to comment on a shaving thread?)
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 04:45 PM   #38
Franklin
Banned

I have a beard, but I trim it, and I can't stand hair on my neck.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 04:49 PM   #39
Bee
Pro Starter

I pull the hair out one at a time with my hands, it's the only manly way to do it.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 04:53 PM   #40
Tasan
College Starter

I go between goatee and clean shaved every three months or so, just for variety and the heat. When I'm fully shaving, I use the Mach 3 Turbo in the shower, plus some gel stuff for sensitive skin. I still bleed though, especially right after getting rid of a longterm goatee. I might try that stuff Cam recommened, it sounds pretty good.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:02 PM   #41
wbonnell
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Tasan
I go between goatee and clean shaved every three months or so, just for variety and the heat.

I do the same- drives people at work crazy
wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:05 PM   #42
Killebrew
H.S. Freshman Team

I use some double blade brand name shaver and Edge gel. If I haven't shaved for a few weeks the skin can get pretty razorburned but wearing boxer shorts seems to help prevent that.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:20 PM   #43
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

I have a very thin, slow growing beard. It is not attractive at all. That having been said, I am also very lazy. As a consequence, I wind up fairly scruffy. I usually shave once a week, when the wife complains enough and starts witholding sex. I tried to grow a goatee, with mixed results. It's also starting to get grey.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 08:39 PM   #44
revrew
Team Chaplain

I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin, especially on my neck. Struggled for years to find something that would work. I started with a 3-ring Norelco, but if I put it up against my neck, three rings of blood -- literally -- begin dripping the second it touched me. My jawline, etc, isn't nearly as bad, but I used to get ferocious razor burn no matter what I used.

Then I tried an experiment. Just to see. Now, even though I keep a beard right around the jaw line, I still shape it and shave my neck the way I discovered in my little experiment.

eh, hem. A lady's Gillette Ultra, with the green moisturizing strip, held between the thumb and first two fingers (just like a woman would shave her legs) works great. Against the grain on my cheeks, with it on my neck. No more razorburn.

There. My secret is out.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 09:05 PM   #45
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Killebrew
I use some double blade brand name shaver and Edge gel. If I haven't shaved for a few weeks the skin can get pretty razorburned but wearing boxer shorts seems to help prevent that.

LMAO!!!!! Funniest post i've read all week!!
Old 11-07-2003, 10:19 PM   #46
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I use an electric razor. A nice one that cost around 70 bucks and has 3 blades. It works pretty well if I shave after getting out of the shower. Its also waterproof, and I have used it while showering, however it tends to be a bit more painfull.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:43 PM   #47
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally posted by revrew
I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin, especially on my neck. Struggled for years to find something that would work. I started with a 3-ring Norelco, but if I put it up against my neck, three rings of blood -- literally -- begin dripping the second it touched me. My jawline, etc, isn't nearly as bad, but I used to get ferocious razor burn no matter what I used.

Then I tried an experiment. Just to see. Now, even though I keep a beard right around the jaw line, I still shape it and shave my neck the way I discovered in my little experiment.

eh, hem. A lady's Gillette Ultra, with the green moisturizing strip, held between the thumb and first two fingers (just like a woman would shave her legs) works great. Against the grain on my cheeks, with it on my neck. No more razorburn.

There. My secret is out.

There is no shame in making sure your face isn't sliced to ribbons when you shave. I don't care if you cover your face with peanut butter and have yaks lick it (and your whiskers) off with their sandpaper-like tongues. Whatever works, man.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:56 AM   #48
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
Am I the only guy with a beard on the board? (or just the only guy with a beard who feels a need to comment on a shaving thread?)

I've got a beard, but I shave my neck and my cheeks. I just don't like having hair on my neck and my cheeks are pretty patchy...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 08:24 AM   #49
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by McSweeny
i shave with Subby

um, yeah
Old 11-08-2003, 08:34 AM   #50
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
I had an electric shaver with the 3 dial type blades but that just ate me up everytime. A buddy of mine has a Braun electric and I tried it once and it seemed to do a pretty good job, but I have't been able to convince myself to drop $200 on it yet to find out if it will work over the long haul.

I had the same experience. I had one of those 3-dial jobs, but it just didn't work. I used a roomates Braun once and it worked great, and I've been eyeing them for years but I just don't want to buy it and find out it doesn't really work. I did pick up an electric beard trimmer a few years ago (I normally sport a goatee), and that works tremendously well.

As for shaving, I hate to do it because its a nuisance, so I generally shave once a week or so (sometimes I'll shave my neck more often, because I hate having scruffiness there) - although a couple times a year I'll grow a beard just because I don't feel like bothering.

I'm lucky enough to have the LEAST sensitive face in the history of mankind - I use a Mach 3, often without shaving cream, with a blade that is months old, and rush through so that I'm done as fast as possible.