Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Water Stains

Any tips for removing water stains on walls?

Long story very short, my water heater decided to die and leaked water everywhere. It got under my carpet (so my carpet's soaked) and it looks like one of the walls soaked up a little bit of water, the stain goes a bit above the base molding. The wall is painted (a yellow color). Is there anything I can do to minimize the appearance of the water stains or make them go away entirely?

Timing on this couldn't be worse, trying to refinance my mortgage, have an appraiser coming on Friday, but right now, the water heater that Lowe's installed has a known flaw that's actually got a class action lawsuit. 2 hours after it was installed with the pilot light working fine, it's gone out and won't re-light. 40 Gallon Gas Hot Water Heater Reviews - Compare The Brands

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Swaggs
Coordinator

you will probably need to get a primer (Kilz is the brand that I have used) to seal over it and then repaint. You can get the primer tinted, so that you may only have to put the finish coat on once more (if it covers).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

What Swaggs said. Although I'd say Bullseye 1-2-3 is a much better primer.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-13-2010 at 01:22 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Hmm thanks.
I guess that makes it tougher than I was expecting/hoping, I have no idea which paint (or color) was used (it's how I bought the house). Ugh.

/tk
Old 01-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Hmm thanks.
I guess that makes it tougher than I was expecting/hoping, I have no idea which paint (or color) was used (it's how I bought the house). Ugh.

/tk

take a small sample of the paint from the wall to a paint store, they can match the color for you.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

We have that same Whirlpool hot water heater with the jacked up thermocouple. The parts for it are all screwy, so you can't buy generic or off-the-shelf parts, you have to get them all from Whirlpool. We were able to have them send us one of the entire lighter assemblies for free, which I reinstalled and it died a year later. I saw on another website a way to basically "fool" the hot water heater into allowing the pilot light to stay lit after ours started going out again. It's probably not what one would call "safe"... but I don't have $400 lying around for a decent hot water heater either.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
We have that same Whirlpool hot water heater with the jacked up thermocouple. The parts for it are all screwy, so you can't buy generic or off-the-shelf parts, you have to get them all from Whirlpool. We were able to have them send us one of the entire lighter assemblies for free, which I reinstalled and it died a year later. I saw on another website a way to basically "fool" the hot water heater into allowing the pilot light to stay lit after ours started going out again. It's probably not what one would call "safe"... but I don't have $400 lying around for a decent hot water heater either.

Yeah, I've learned my lesson, next time I'll call a plumber who can install one that is generally considered better (Rhee, or B/W, or something). Word around the internet--now that I have time to look--is that Kenmore and Whirlpool leave a bit to be desired. But, when you've got a completely dead water heater that's leaking water EVERYWHERE, you don't have time to do one of those searches. If it goes bad (and hopefully it'll be good for at least a few years), I'll get a different one.

What a freaking day.

But the Lowe's guy game back and now my pilot light is back on, and my dad and I were also able to get rid of a dead tree/bush thing that was in my front yard so maybe things are looking up for today.

Oh, and as a bonus, I went to the house book the previous homeowner left me and found out that they told me which paint was used, including color, so maybe it won't be as hard as I thought to get the paint.

/tk
Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We had our roof leak a few years back and some tinted primer and a coat of white fixed it up nicely.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
bbor
Pro Starter

Ask Monica Lewinski.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola....Oop's....you said water stains did'nt you?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
Shepp
High School Varsity

You want to make sure its completely dry before you paint. Else you'll run the risk of mildew bleeding through down the road.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote