Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Metal Gear Solid 4........

One month and counting. Trailers for the game are out. 4 different trailers were shown in Japan yesterday..........

http://kotaku.com/389818/new-new-new-mgs4-trailers

Here's the game's intro movie for those that might want a sneek peek into the plot..........

http://kotaku.com/389827/metal-gear-solid-4-intro-movie

Live blog of yesterday's press conference.........

http://kotaku.com/5008810/presser-start

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some comments from associate producer about MGS4 and what the next sequel will entail with Solid Snake out of the picture...........

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/...ed-connection/

Quote:
“Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots” is finished, announced series creator Hideo Kojima at Konami’s press conference in San Francisco last week.

The last adventure of Solid Snake is almost ready for gamers. It’s been a long time coming — more than four years of development — but on June 12, “MGS4″ will finally become a reality on PlayStation 3s worldwide.

Fans can stop worrying, though; this isn’t the last “Metal Gear,” explained associate producer Ryan Payton in an interview with MTV Multiplayer. “I think there’s been some misconceptions that this is the last ‘Metal Gear,’” said Payton. “This is really just the last chapter of the saga of the Solid Snake story.”

But if this is Snake’s story, what’s up with the inclusion of Altair’s costume from “Assassin’s Creed”? And how did Kojima get Ubisoft and Konami to cooperate?

“The “Assassin’s Creed” costume was one of the last things we put in the game,” he said. “It was kind of a last minute thing [and] we were really lucky enough to have Ubisoft be so enthusiastic about this kind of cooperation. They worked overtime to get that costume into the game.”

Kojima and “Assassin’s Creed” producer Jade Raymond were introduced at E3 last year. The two met again during Tokyo Game Show and a mutual admiration for each other’s work blossomed. Discussions started about a collaboration. This turned into Altier’s costume being a bonus in “MGS4″ at the last second.

“Normally, we don’t do that,” said “MGS4″ producer Ken Imaizumi.

“It’s very dangerous because of the code and bug checking,” added Payton.

As top-tier third-party publishers, Konami and Ubisoft are technically in competition with one another. I wondered how Kojima and Raymond managed to convince their respective employers to find a way to make this creative exchange work.

“I think it’s a testament to the Ubisoft Montreal team,” said Payton. “Ubisoft — which is a very dynamic company — I just don’t see them getting stuck in all that red tape. Rather than try to figure out some royalty sharing it was ‘let’s just do this, this’ll be fun.’”

Fun aside, now that “MGS4″ is completed, Kojima finds himself at the juncture he’s talked about for years. Kojima can finally create a game that doesn’t have Solid Snake at the helm. But with his iconic character out of the picture, Kojima has effectively removed a safety net for the future.

“[Solid Snake] was a burden [for Kojima] because of all those loose ends,” said Payton. “So when you play “Metal Gear Solid 4″ and when you get to the end, I think you’re going to feel that ‘wow, this is a nice closure.’ All of the weird stuff that’s gone on in the past, it’s all coming to an end. All those weird questions — everything is answered.”

But, c’mon, Kojima has famously said he’s putting Solid Snake behind him before. Payton said Kojima is adamant about moving on, even if it’s uncharted territory.

“I think he is kind of nervous about it,” he said. “You can’t continue from this step. You can’t start next chapter. We really do close up the story.”

Next month, we’ll find out how Kojima pulls it off.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Circuit City has now posted the pre-order link for the 80GB MGS4 bundle.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do
Old 05-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Translation of Kojima interview in Famitsu............

weekly.game.journal: Famitsu, 5/23 post of Kojima interview.

Quote:
(Hamamura) MGS4 is finally complete. Congratulations.
(Kojima) No, really there's two or three days left (as of 5/1.) Since this time is a simultaneous worldwide release, there was a lot to do.
(H) Since it's a worldwide release, will there be multiple languages?
(K) Unfortunately, no. From the beginning, we had planned on including them, but even with a dual-layer Blu-Ray, it's stuffed full, so the Japanese version will have only Japanese. For the North American version, we had planned to include Spanish, but unfortunately, it was cut. Even though we promised it at a Spanish event four years ago...
(H) I'd imagine you didn't expect to run out of space at this point.
(K) It's a good feeling to think you don't have to worry about space. When CD-ROM came along, too, we were so happy we fit everything on, but later it gave us fits.
(H) Hahah. Just finish these last few things, and it'll feel like you're finally done, right?
(K) The young staff is full of people with that feeling. Right now, we just have to up the master, double-check it, and confirm a release date, so everyone's getting ready for a vacation, and the workfloor is quiet. With me heading off for promotional events, and everyone getting ready for the next project, I can't really call it a break, though. Well, I was relieved, but I guess every time it's over something new to worry about springs up. When I said "Metal Gear Solid is over", I didn't expect everyone's response to it, so what should I do, and so on. I guess I have to think about MGS5...
Well, Snake's story finishes here, in MGS4, but.
(H) I see... Well, you certainly were nonchalant there for such a major thing.
(K) I don't think so. The "Metal Gear Solid" will continue, even if I leave the company, won't it? But, for MGS5, I think it absolutely must be made by Kojima Productions.
(H) I'd imagine the fans are just as convinced of that as you are. Please, make it for us!
(K) I kind of have to at least handle it, as producer. But, in the end, I want to leave the producer position to someone else as well. I want to have the next generation make a new MGS. As long as it's an action game with a sneaking mission, I think I'll be fine with wherever it goes. But, Snake is retired.
(H) I see. This is the end of Snake, isn't it? How was it?
(K) Some of the staff were deeply moved by it. But I didn't really care.
(H) Eh!? Didn't care?
(K) Well. I could say I didn't really care about -that-, but since an ending equals a beginning, I've already moved on to the next worry. The thing I worry about the most is that the fans will enjoy the experience. After that, there's the next Metal Gear Solid, the staff of Kojima Productions, and my own future. Thinking about that, the past four years don't seem to have been a long time at all. Our relief is real, so I think we managed to do well.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Heavy-duty cut scenes expected in Metal Gear Solid 4. Finale cut scene at the end of the game is roughly 60 minutes long. Now we know why the option is available to pause during cut scenes.........

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=189543
Old 05-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sounds like MSG4 isn't really a game, but a series of cut scenes. Evidently there are SEVERAL that are at least 90 minutes long!

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...ute-cut-scenes
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 05-23-2008 at 12:48 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah I was about to post that info too. That is just fucking stupid.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Sounds like MSG4 isn't really a game, but a series of cut scenes. Evidently there are SEVERAL that are at least 90 minutes long!

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...ute-cut-scenes

That was a complaint of some with the last version as well (not to this extreme.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
Butter
Coordinator

That can't be right... can it????
Old 05-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
That can't be right... can it????

No, it's not right at all. In fact, it's already been debunked. The longest cut scene is the finale, and it's not even close to 90 minutes.

Link to article disproving rumor that cartman posted......

http://dailygamesnews.blogspot.com/2...cut-scene.html

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-23-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
Calis
College Starter

I thought I read somewhere that GTA ended up having almost as much cut scene time as MGS4 will have. Could be wrong on that though.

MGS4 cutscenes will certainly be 5-6x as incomprehensible and absurd however.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Looks like the cut scenes in MGS4 are indeed over the top in length, regardless of what a single reviewer has said previously. Konami is forbidding advance reviewers from commenting on install size or length of cut scenes......................................................................................

http://kotaku.com/5011929/rumor-revi...scenes-install

The overall game time is split about half actually playing it and half watching cut scenes....................................................................................

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/877/877611p3.html

Quote:
One of those things that Konami doesn't want us to talk about is the 'total length of cut-scenes'. Hopefully it won't be bending the rules to far to reveal that they represent about half of the content of the game. That, for some people, will be too much to bear. But in many ways it's a vindication of Kojima's unique interpretation of the videogame medium.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Why is anybody surprised about cut scene length? The original MSG was the same way.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
No, it's not right at all. In fact, it's already been debunked. The longest cut scene is the finale, and it's not even close to 90 minutes.

Link to article disproving rumor that cartman posted......

http://dailygamesnews.blogspot.com/2...cut-scene.html

Heh. Damning with faint praise if you read that. "sounds like an exaggeration", "definitely a cinematic quality", "elaborate and occasionally lengthy". He debunks the "90 minutes" bit, but does nothing to counter the "lots of the experience is non-interacitve" bit.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #15
TroyF
Coordinator

This is what I've always hated about the game. Fifteen minutes of gameplay followed by 10+ minutes of cut scenes. If the reviewer above who said it was 50/50 cut scenes to actual action is accurate, it means I won't spend a minute with the game.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
This is what I've always hated about the game. Fifteen minutes of gameplay followed by 10+ minutes of cut scenes. If the reviewer above who said it was 50/50 cut scenes to actual action is accurate, it means I won't spend a minute with the game.

Yep. This is why MSG has never been a system seller for me.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #17
MikeVic
Head Coach

But MSG makes a console taste sooo good.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #18
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have never played MGS.

Can you at least pause the cut scenes?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
But MSG makes a console taste sooo good.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #20
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

About 50/50? Wow, that's ridiculous.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #21
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I have never played MGS.

To be honest, I don't remember if you can or not. The problem is the game is very story based. If you miss the cut scenes, you miss out on important parts of the story. I understand the designers dream. To create a movie/video game all in one. That's nice. . . but I play video games to play them, not to watch them.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #22
Logan
Head Coach

I think GTA4 has balanced it well. 1-2 minute scenes to setup the majority of the missions, with the "advance the storyline" scenes taking a bit longer, but much less frequent.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #23
KWhit
Coordinator

Agreed. I haven't found the cutscenes too long in GTA yet. I just wish they had a pause/rewind button so that when the wife walks in and starts talking to me I can back up and find out what I missed.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #24
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

I don't care about the length of the cut-scenes MGS is one of my favorite franchises.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #25
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Agreed. I haven't found the cutscenes too long in GTA yet. I just wish they had a pause/rewind button so that when the wife walks in and starts talking to me I can back up and find out what I missed.

Same here. Otherwise, they are fine.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #26
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantle2600 View Post
I don't care about the length of the cut-scenes MGS is one of my favorite franchises.

A lot of people don't, which is why they keep making the game with a ton of them. Nothing wrong with that. Just not the way I play video games and it's always kept me from playing the games for more than an hour or so. To each his/her own.

I'm sure those who love MGS will be thrilled with this version. With that amount of cut scene time, it just isn't the game for me.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #27
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Yes, you can pause the cut screens at any time.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:35 AM   #28
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Metal Gear Solid 4 becomes only the eight game to get a perfect 40/40 in Famitsu.

The other seven, fwiw:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Soul Calibur
Vagrant Story
Zelda: Wind Waker
Nintendogs
Final Fantasy XII
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
Yes, you can pause the cut screens at any time.

Good news but the length of a few of them has me wishing you could save during the middle of cutscenes. It won't have much effect on my enjoyment of what looks to be an awesome game though.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:51 AM   #29
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Good news but the length of a few of them has me wishing you could save during the middle of cutscenes. It won't have much effect on my enjoyment of what looks to be an awesome game though.

I'd agree. MGS games have always been the type of game where you need to set aside some time to play the game as it's not a 'sit and play for 5-10 minutes' kind of game. But they've all been so ridiculously well done that I never seem to mind.

The one thing I love about games created by Kojima is that I know when I buy one of his games that it's going to be a great experience and not have any bug issues that detract from the overall experience. He's a perfectionist to an extreme in regards to development and it really shows in his final product. Other developers would do well to follow his QA methodology.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #30
Calis
College Starter

I can't make up my mind on this. I played MGS2 I believe it was, whichever one was the Sons of Liberty, and while I found the gameplay itself enjoyable it had one of the most insane storylines I've ever seen in the game. It was random weirdness after random weirdness. Didn't go for it at all.

This one looks impressive, and I'm sure the gameplay (what there is of it) will be enjoyable but I don't know if I could sit through it either. From what I read also it's very much meant for strong followers of the game as the early reviews are all saying you'll be completely lost if you haven't played through all the games. I don't think I want more inane story also.

I do need a new game though, and my PS3 library is pretty thin so I still might get it. I just can't get excited about it.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:56 AM   #31
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Metal Gear Sold 4 80 GB bundle goes on sale today at Amazon at 1:00 PM EDT. Get there fast if you want one. They aren't expected to last very long at all.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Me...2753292&sr=8-3
Old 06-06-2008, 09:36 AM   #32
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Had this talk with the wife, I am passing on the PS3. I don't really care right now. I am getting the new OOTP in it's place, Saints Row 2 for the 360 when it comes out.

Yeah, MGS would be cool to play, but call me when the PS3 has more to offer I guess.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #33
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Metal Gear Sold 4 80 GB bundle goes on sale today at Amazon at 1:00 PM EDT. Get there fast if you want one. They aren't expected to last very long at all.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Me...2753292&sr=8-3

Where does it say that it will go on sale at 1:00? Will it be $499? I see the one on EBgames going for $560.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #34
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Where does it say that it will go on sale at 1:00? Will it be $499? I see the one on EBgames going for $560.

It's been publicized by several blogs. Don't buy it for anything more than $499. They are several sites that are marking the bundle up hoping to take advantage of demand.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #35
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
It's been publicized by several blogs. Don't buy it for anything more than $499. They are several sites that are marking the bundle up hoping to take advantage of demand.

Just ordered it, thanks for the link. $499 and free shipping. No tax too is a plus.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #36
Kodos
Resident Alien

I never cared for the MGS series. Too many cut scenes, too much trial and error gameplay.

Give me a followup to Ico and Shadow of the Collosus!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #37
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I never cared for the MGS series. Too many cut scenes, too much trial and error gameplay.

Give me a followup to Ico and Shadow of the Collosus!

Yeah, it wasn't so much much for MGS, in as much as now I can get a 80 gig for $499, then ebay MGS for probably around $50 when it comes out, so in the end, I'm getting it for $450, which is a great deal.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #38
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Just ordered it, thanks for the link. $499 and free shipping. No tax too is a plus.

You're very lucky that you managed to get it. The demand on the server was so high that Amazon.com actually crashed and was out of service for 15 minutes. I can't even remember the last time that site actually crashed due to a product release.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #39
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
You're very lucky that you managed to get it. The demand on the server was so high that Amazon.com actually crashed and was out of service for 15 minutes. I can't even remember the last time that site actually crashed due to a product release.

LOL!!!! Someone has a REALLY selective memory. Remember when Amazon was going to sell some 360s for $100 upon release??? The site was out for almost 12 hours.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #40
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:

Yeah, I really was. I hit refresh at 1:00 and 15 seconds and managed to get in. I think it only lasted a minute or two.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #41
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
LOL!!!! Someone has a REALLY selective memory. Remember when Amazon was going to sell some 360s for $100 upon release??? The site was out for almost 12 hours.

That's been some time ago and was a fire sale price point. This was a full price product. Big difference.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-06-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #42
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
That's been some time ago and was a fire sale price point. This was a full price product. Big difference.

Good job with this one, buddy.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:22 AM   #43
Vince
Pro Starter

I must be one of the weird few that actually really enjoy this series BECAUSE of the cut scenes. Typically they're fantastically done and make it really feel like a story that I'm immersed in. That being said, I need to go back and finish 3...and I still don't have a PS3 for MGS 4
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:38 AM   #44
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like Kojima spared no punches in his game regarding his console preference......

http://my.break.com/Content/view.aspx?ContentID=516244
Old 06-09-2008, 06:42 AM   #45
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
I must be one of the weird few that actually really enjoy this series BECAUSE of the cut scenes. Typically they're fantastically done and make it really feel like a story that I'm immersed in. That being said, I need to go back and finish 3...and I still don't have a PS3 for MGS 4

This game doesn't sell millions of copies because everyone hates the cut scenes. I'd agree with you. I love the cut scenes. It adds a lot to the game and immersion.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #46
rowech
Pro Starter

Is this new package deal going to have an HDMI or at the very least component cables?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #47
Calis
College Starter

I don't mind the cutscenes or the focus on story, I'm a huge cutscene fan in general. I find myself much more annoyed by the 10-15 minute dialogs while Snake is in a hot zone in the middle of a secret mission where he's on the radio talking about life. Those parts I find to really kill immersion.

Is 3 considered better than 2 generally? I'm having a hard time getting into 2 again. I was thinking about trying out 3 as one last chance before giving up on the series all together. The setting and such in 3 seems more interesting to me.

I will say I'm playing 2 on the PC and with everything maxed it's still a really nice looking game.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #48
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Is this new package deal going to have an HDMI or at the very least component cables?

The composite cable is the only one included. HDMI cables can be picked up at monoprice.com for under $10 if you need it.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #49
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like Leigh Alexander has a copy of MGS4. Should be interesting to see her impressions........

http://sexyvideogameland.blogspot.co...blog-post.html
Old 06-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #50
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Looks like Kojima spared no punches in his game regarding his console preference......

http://my.break.com/Content/view.aspx?ContentID=516244

Yawn. A guy who creates a movie with a few interactive sequences thrown in favors a console with a bigger drive? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!