Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

College Football Recruiting (2009 Class)

Because the last thread should have ended with Pryor announcing.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Good iniative.

RichRod is off to a good start in Ann Arbor. Horribly excited to see Newsome and big Willy Style (Tho that was all Lloyd) in action.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

UCLA's recruiting class is nowhere near on the level of Michigan or USC or Notre Dame, but I like that we're involved. We were in it on Barkley (supposedly, although there is evidence to suggest he was pretty much always going to go to USC), Newsome and Aaron Murray (Georgia commit). Shrive out of PA of all places is looking at us, but he looks like he's Irish. We were runner up on Cierre Wood, one of the top backs in the country, who also chose Irish.

The guys we do have seem solid, but nothing to get excited about yet. Plus, heck, it's May.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The Hurricanes are off to a good start. Last year's huge signing of Arthur Brown had extra benefits, since we will also get his brother Bryce Brown, the #2 RB in the nation.

We've also signed two **** D-linemen in Olivier Vernon and Luther Robinson.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
UCLA's recruiting class is nowhere near on the level of Michigan or USC or Notre Dame, but I like that we're involved. We were in it on Barkley (supposedly, although there is evidence to suggest he was pretty much always going to go to USC), Newsome and Aaron Murray (Georgia commit). Shrive out of PA of all places is looking at us, but he looks like he's Irish. We were runner up on Cierre Wood, one of the top backs in the country, who also chose Irish.

The guys we do have seem solid, but nothing to get excited about yet. Plus, heck, it's May.

I know Neuheisel gets a lot of shit (and rightfully so) and hell I like to pile on, but that is one helluva staff UCLA has assembled and I am almost positive they'll be in a BCS Game in three years.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
mckerney
Coordinator

Good start for Minnesota so far. In February they landed local QB Moses Alipate who recieved invites to both the Army and Under Armor AA games and will play in the UA game. Today they landed **** and top 250 in the nation, RB Hasan Lipscomb from Houston. Other than that they've landed a couple instate lineman and a slot WR from Florida.

Since committing early Alipate has been working on recruiting other guys to join him at Minnesota. He's rumored to be trying to get Manti Te'o to visit, though that seems highly unlikely it will happen, though Xavier Su'a Filo (offensive lineman from Utah and ranked 112th top player in the country by rivals) is going to visit at least in part because of Alipate.

There won't be many players in this class with few scholarships and 3 or 4 players grayshirting and being a part of the 2009 class, but it looks like it should be another class that is far better than previous years.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC has had an amazing start, although Burfect's comments after he absolutely dominated a recent NIKE camp have me worried. I hope he doesn't waver on his committment as he looks to be the best linebacker in the nation. Experts who watched the camp are absolutely raving about him. He is 6'4 245 and plays with great speed and instincts. 8 or 9 guys already committed in the top 100 and Pete (and company) are hot on the trail of another dozen top players (including 2 of 3 that are a package deal from Florida which would be a great blow to Urban.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #8
bhlloy
Coordinator

What did Burfict say? Didn't hear any mention of that on the premium boards, doesn't mean I didn't miss something though. He is a lifelong USC fan and was begging for an offer, I would be very surprised if he is wavering. Randall Carroll is the one to possibly be worried about losing AFAIK.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
What did Burfict say? Didn't hear any mention of that on the premium boards, doesn't mean I didn't miss something though. He is a lifelong USC fan and was begging for an offer, I would be very surprised if he is wavering. Randall Carroll is the one to possibly be worried about losing AFAIK.

Most of the recruits were saying they are firm with USC and they won't take any visits. He said something to the effect that he may take some visits, but he was still solid with USC. I don't see the point of taking those visits, if he is committed to USC 100%, so that is all that worried me.

Did you see the footage of him from the Nike camp? The hits he layed on those running backs were very impressive. Reports say that he didn't miss a single tackle all day, and he didn't allow a single pass to be completed against him. He had 3 picks in the drills as well.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #10
bhlloy
Coordinator

Eh, a lot of kids say that. I have no doubt he is 100% SC.

He is an unbelievable player, although he supposedly has grade and attitude issues. On the field, he's the best LB prospect coming out of HS I've seen since Maualuga in terms of pure athletic ability. To have the agility and speed he does at 240lb+ as an 17 year old kid is just sick. I don't know what you do with Chris Galippo once (if) he gets here, although he probably won't be ready to start until Galippo's RS Junior year.

Remember we also have Marquis Simmons who is another top 5 MLB, and are the front-runners for Manti Te'o. Could be another sick linebacking class after missing on most of the kids we wanted last year.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:32 AM   #11
Blade6119
Coordinator

Arizona State just signed a nice 6'8 QB from Montana, and Missouri is off to a nice start with 5 signings so far. Both teams have some elite players in state looking around right now though, so things could be better.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Bump...because you dummies keep posting in the old thread.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
mckerney
Coordinator

Not exactly recruiting news as Brewster wasn't able to have contact with him, but Wisconsin transfer Kim Royston will walk on at Minnesota. Will be nice to get some depth in the secondary in 2009 from a non-scholarship player with Big 10 experience.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Zooker is at it again, with a 4* DT and 4* OT already committed. Both are from Chicago. Love to see someone at Illinois finally keeping the football talent in-state. Or at least some of it.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
timmynausea
College Starter

West Virginia is off to the best start in school history with a 5* WR in Logan Heastie, 4* QB in Tajh Boyd, and a 4* LB in Chris Snooker. Some others include a VA DT that had an offer from Florida State, an in state OL with an offer from Virginia and a DC WR with an offer from MSU. For it being this early, those are all quality offers and great guys to have in the fold.

The Mountaineers also have picked up some immediate help at WR in two former 4* recruits that are transferring in. '04 recruit Devon Lyons (offers from Miami, Michigan and Notre Dame out of HS) earned a hardship case to transfer without having to sit out a year from Ohio State to WVU. He will get to be closer to his dad whom is sick, plus his brother Wes is in Morgantown as a fellow WR. Also, '06 recruit Damon McDaniel (offers from UGA, FLA, Miami and VT) transferred out of FSU to a community college and now to West Virginia. Both will be eligible to play this fall.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #16
Blade6119
Coordinator

See more funny videos at CollegeHumor
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #17
mckerney
Coordinator

CB Michael Carter, who rivals ranks as the 66th best player in the country, says his top 3 are Miami, Georgia, and Minnesota. Would be great if Brewster can end up landing him, definitely need a solid corner after what the Gophers have had the last few years.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #18
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
West Virginia is off to the best start in school history with a 5* WR in Logan Heastie, 4* QB in Tajh Boyd, and a 4* LB in Chris Snooker. Some others include a VA DT that had an offer from Florida State, an in state OL with an offer from Virginia and a DC WR with an offer from MSU. For it being this early, those are all quality offers and great guys to have in the fold.

The Mountaineers also have picked up some immediate help at WR in two former 4* recruits that are transferring in. '04 recruit Devon Lyons (offers from Miami, Michigan and Notre Dame out of HS) earned a hardship case to transfer without having to sit out a year from Ohio State to WVU. He will get to be closer to his dad whom is sick, plus his brother Wes is in Morgantown as a fellow WR. Also, '06 recruit Damon McDaniel (offers from UGA, FLA, Miami and VT) transferred out of FSU to a community college and now to West Virginia. Both will be eligible to play this fall.

I wonder how this recruiting class will look after Rich Rod swoops in with his snake oil and wizard's hat?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #19
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Michigan gets it's 4th top 100 commit in the form of Minnesota WR Bryce McNeal, the 70th player in the nation. Looking good for Blue early.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #20
Logan
Head Coach

4-star RB Desmond Scott, rated the #2 all-purpose back in the country by Rivals, and holding offers from West Virginia, Georgia, Clemson, and Tennessee, among others, will commit to Rutgers tomorrow.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #21
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC continues to add to their great class with the addition of arguably the #1 JUCO in the country, DT Hebron Fangupo.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #22
Logan
Head Coach

4-star center Mark Brazinski commits to Rutgers over Boston College.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #23
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
USC continues to add to their great class with the addition of arguably the #1 JUCO in the country, DT Hebron Fangupo.

Is he even the best DT in California?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Of the Jucos? Yeah, I'd say so. Who do you think is better?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #25
BishopMVP
Coordinator

ND is up to 7 commitments now. Cierre Wood (#1 RB) is the huge prize, no one else in the Top 100 as of now. Rivals has 4 of the other 6 in the top 250. We have struck out at QB so far, and I don't foresee the monster class of the past couple years unless those players pick up at least 8 wins or so this year (doable with the weaker schedule).
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #26
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Not much happening at BYU.....except for the exodus of some missionaries from other schools deciding they want to go to BYU...

QB Riley Nelson (from Utah State)
RB Malosi Te'o (from UNLV)
DB Travis Uale (From Utah)

Riley and Malosi were decent gets for us. When Riley stepped in at QB at Utah State, they actually started winning, he just refuses to lose.

Malosi is a nice back, will be ready to go next year, but the bigger win here is family. It's believed he wants to play with his brother and cousins and they all plan on going to the same school, so for us as fans we are hoping Manti Te'o (5 star LB recruit) will commit to us.

Travis was a preffered walk-on at Utah and had some great games as a freshman. Only time will tell for him at BYU.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 06-11-2008 at 09:39 AM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #27
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Of the Jucos? Yeah, I'd say so. Who do you think is better?

JuCo's are so hit and miss and last I saw, he wasn't even ranked. Hopefully he'll be better then Louis Holmes, the DE that USC lost to Arizona
Old 06-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #28
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
JuCo's are so hit and miss and last I saw, he wasn't even ranked. Hopefully he'll be better then Louis Holmes, the DE that USC lost to Arizona

Rivals unofficially ranks him. Also, watch some footage, he is a beast on video. 6'1 330 and not a lot of fat on him, great quickness for a big man in the videos as well. As far as DE, we are good with Nick Perry and a few others who are likely to sign.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #29
molson
General Manager

I would just like everyone to know that Syracuse will continue to be awful indefinitely.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #30
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC got their 12th recruit today with 4 star WR Alshon Jefferson from South Carolina. He is ranked 16th among WR's by Rivals and is a big target at 6 foot 3.

Edit to add: Nice to get him away from Florida who was reportedly pursuing him strongly.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-11-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #31
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Rivals unofficially ranks him. Also, watch some footage, he is a beast on video. 6'1 330 and not a lot of fat on him, great quickness for a big man in the videos as well. As far as DE, we are good with Nick Perry and a few others who are likely to sign.

Well, they did clear out space by cutting Alfred Rowe
Old 06-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #32
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Hmm for you California/PAC-10 fans have you guys heard anything about Chris Evering of Foothill JUCO? He is a friend of mine and I know he played outstanding last season but I was wondering if you guys might have heard his name on your message boards.

I am sure he will sign with a college in December provided he doesn't get hurt.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #33
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sorry Noop, havent seen anything about him
Old 06-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #34
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Me neither.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #35
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

I know the ASU boards were calling him the best JUCO in the nation before USC even jumped in, so its not the USC offer effect(which i do believe exists).
Demotivation
Old 06-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #36
General Mike
Pro Starter

I'm very pleased with what Rutgers is doing on the recruiting trail.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #37
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I'm very pleased with what Rutgers is doing on the recruiting trail.

You're telling me. Nine commitments so far, ahead of where we were last year, with a stud QB and a stud RB which tend to attract other high-profile recruits. I'm expecting a few more big names in the coming weeks. Arthur Fontaine (TE) would be a great tandem with Carrezola who we picked up a month or so ago.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #38
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Get Greg all that practice for when he comes to Penn State
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #39
Logan
Head Coach

To pick up the kids that decide they don't want to play for a coach who shits his pants on the sideline?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #40
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
To pick up the kids that decide they don't want to play for a coach who shits his pants on the sideline?

This is a college football thread...not a thread about the Penguins.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #41
Logan
Head Coach

Touche, my friend, touche.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #42
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Honestly though...are you hearing anything about when ever Paterno does retire/die...if Greg will go for the job?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #43
Logan
Head Coach

It would shock me. Here's why...for one, the reason the thought is even out there is because back in the day, Schiano said that he grew up loving Paterno and viewed him as a mentor as he began his career. What no one says is that when Schiano was offered the Rutgers job, which he was dying for, seeing the potential, having his "vision," and calling it his dream job, Paterno told him that if he took it, it would be the biggest mistake of his life and the end of his coaching career. Right then, he stopped looking at him as a mentor and takes plenty of satisfaction that he has started accomplishing his goals when Paterno said he couldn't. Basically, it's not this complete admiration that PSU people would like you to believe.

I don't think he's going anywhere, as evidenced by his turning down of Miami (where he's loved by the kids down there and he has great relationships with all the coaches) and Michigan (which is a better job than PSU). The stadium expansion is on its way, he has everything he needs to succeed, and as long as that keeps up and the state doesn't try to fuck us, I can't see him leaving.

Not to mention the old "you never want to replace a legend" thought...another 10 years of success at Rutgers and he'll be a bigger man in his home state than JoePa is in PA, and honestly I think that means a lot to him.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #44
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

...another 10 years of success at Rutgers and he'll be a bigger man in his home state than JoePa is in PA, and honestly I think that means a lot to him.

Not to take anything away of how much Schiano has cultivated the program at Rutgers, but unless "another 10 years of success" means 11+ wins every year and multiple championships, this is a pretty ridiculous statement on a number of different levels. You are comparing a guy with 38 career wins, 3 bowl appearances (with two wins), and one top 25 finish to Paterno, who literally has almost 10 times the number of wins, 23 bowl wins, multiple national championships.

Again, not to take away from Schiano's accomplishments, as he has made Rutgers into a respected program, but if you watch one Penn State home game, I think you would recognize how revered Paterno is in PA.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:38 AM   #45
mckerney
Coordinator

Nothing much happening for the Gophers since they landed Hasan Lipscomb. Moses Alipate was ranked 3* and the number 19 pro style QB by rivals, but he continues to impress at camps. After one regional Elite 11 camp ESPN wrote this:

As the day moved on for quarterbacks, once Moses Alipate (Bloomington, Minn./Jefferson) joined the group for the Elite 11 portion of the event, he became one of, if not the premier guy at this combine. He possesses outstanding size, deceptive athleticism and once he got comfortable with the drills, his arm strength really came on. He displayed the power and zip to put the ball anywhere he wants to. He has a very quick delivery, but he is also still very raw mechanically. When he gets his delivery and footwork aligned with one another, he could become very dangerous.

He's going to go to another regional Elite 11 camp, and will get a chance to show his skills at the Under Armor All American game too.

There could be a couple commits coming up with camps in the next few weeks. Indiana DT Jordan Stepp could commit if he gets an offer at the linement camp. They also have a couple of other RBs who are high on Minnesota. Eric Stephens recently moved into the Rivals 250 and has named Minnesota as his leader, and Daquan Hargrett has said his top 2 are Minnesota and WVU.

A little meaningless news, but Senile Sid Hartman has a former coach of Tom Lemmings #1 prospect for 2010 Seantrel Henderson saying that he expects Henderson to wind up at Minnesota. Doesn't mean much now and I think Brewster has got a long way to go to land him, but the thought of him coming in at offensive tackle is definitely nice.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #46
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It would shock me. Here's why...for one, the reason the thought is even out there is because back in the day, Schiano said that he grew up loving Paterno and viewed him as a mentor as he began his career. What no one says is that when Schiano was offered the Rutgers job, which he was dying for, seeing the potential, having his "vision," and calling it his dream job, Paterno told him that if he took it, it would be the biggest mistake of his life and the end of his coaching career. Right then, he stopped looking at him as a mentor and takes plenty of satisfaction that he has started accomplishing his goals when Paterno said he couldn't. Basically, it's not this complete admiration that PSU people would like you to believe.

I think I can explain the reason why Paterno told him that. Let's face it, for the better part the last 20 years, Rutgers football was not very good. In 1984 Dick Anderson left Penn State and became the Rutgers coach. He was fired a few years later in 1989. Dick was a long time assistant and friend of Paterno's and if Paterno did tell Schiano that, it was just him being honest. They along with Temple have been a grave yard for coaches. How many coaches have used Rutgers as a stepping stone to a bigger job? Schiano might be the first to do so.

I am as critical as they come to Paterno's game day decisions, but I don't think he would do anything maliciously to someone who worked for him.

Quote:
I don't think he's going anywhere, as evidenced by his turning down of Miami (where he's loved by the kids down there and he has great relationships with all the coaches) and Michigan (which is a better job than PSU). The stadium expansion is on its way, he has everything he needs to succeed, and as long as that keeps up and the state doesn't try to fuck us, I can't see him leaving.

Not to mention the old "you never want to replace a legend" thought...another 10 years of success at Rutgers and he'll be a bigger man in his home state than JoePa is in PA, and honestly I think that means a lot to him.

You may be right, he might not go anywhere. It has just been a talking point among us fans. But remember, West Virginia fans didn't think RichRod was going anywhere, he was an alum of that school.

Plus I have heard from numerous people that Schiano called Paterno when he was looking at Michigan, and Schiano does have a buyout in his contract if he leaves for any school in the country but one. There is something to be said about building a program up from the ground and Schiano has done a great job.

In 10 years Joe will probably be dead but I would suspect that you could still mention the name Penn State any where in the state of Pennsylvania, and I would bet that in the first 2 or 3 sentence Joe's name would come up. I'd have to echo Swaggs' thoughts on the rest.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:16 AM   #47
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Not to take anything away of how much Schiano has cultivated the program at Rutgers, but unless "another 10 years of success" means 11+ wins every year and multiple championships, this is a pretty ridiculous statement on a number of different levels. You are comparing a guy with 38 career wins, 3 bowl appearances (with two wins), and one top 25 finish to Paterno, who literally has almost 10 times the number of wins, 23 bowl wins, multiple national championships.

Again, not to take away from Schiano's accomplishments, as he has made Rutgers into a respected program, but if you watch one Penn State home game, I think you would recognize how revered Paterno is in PA.

You misunderstood what I said...but it's okay cause when I wrote that, I had a feeling it would . I meant that statement as literally as possible -- the love for Schiano will be immense if he sticks around, equal to or greater than people in Pennsylvania love JoePa. It has nothing to do with their relative levels of success.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:22 AM   #48
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Schiano does have a buyout in his contract if he leaves for any school in the country but one.

Not true.

As for everything else, valid points of course. I think he'll stay, and if he does leave, it would be for an NFL job. Which would be a major mistake on his part unless his gameday coaching improves dramatically.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #49
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

I think he also knows that the Big East is still the best conference in terms of ability to move vertically in the tiers of college football. Taking those other jobs would place him with more talent likely, but also a tougher trip to the post-season. Though i do give him massive credit for picking up the Fresno State game KSU bought their way out of, as that is the very definition of lose-lose mid major match up most teams run for the hills to avoid.
Demotivation
Old 06-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #50
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Arkansas Five Star DB Darius Winston decommits from The Razorbacks today and names Michigan his new leader.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 06-13-2008 at 03:16 PM.