Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

The First Ever Free Market FOF MP League **ONLY TWO TEAMS LEFT**

LINK TO FORUM: http://www.fof-woof2.com/forum/forum.php

WOOF is about to do something completely different. See this thread for the germination of the idea. In short, it's a free market league, meaning no extensions at all. Here are some of the details:

1. No renegotiations of any kind...ever. Either you pay him what you signed him to, or cut him.
1a. Not even renegs on holdouts. If he holds out, you either wait him out or trade him.
2. No signing of your own RFAs during FA1. All of them hit the open market in FA2.
3. Undrafted rookies only get one-year deals. And remember, they all hit the open market in year 2, so because of cohesion and multi-year deals, this will make late-round draft picks significantly more valuable than undrafted rookies.
4. Faster regular season/lower injury setting. We'll get through all 21 weeks of the season in 4 calendar weeks, with something along the lines of Mo-Tu-Th-Fr, Mo-Tu-Th-Fr, Mo-Tu-Th-Fr, Mo-Tu-We-Th-Fr, Mo-Tu-We-Th. We're lowering the injury setting to 75 to help with people not needing to make changes for injuries as often.
5. No franchise tag. Should go without saying in a free market league, but I'm saying it.

Q: But won't this mean nearly total turnover in teams from year to year???

A: No.
This FOxL discussion best explains it, but in short, I strongly suspect that very quickly, because of cohesion, people will value their own 55/55ish and under players tons higher than others' 55/55 and under players. Quote:
10:25:23 am [wademoore]: Do people not realize that no one wants your 39/44 3rd year OG?
10:25:32 am [wademoore]: they're too busy signing their 42/42 3rd year C
10:25:38 am [Ben E Lou]: yy wade
10:25:40 am [Ben E Lou]: precisely
10:26:14 am [wademoore]: in fact, I'd argue that it will probably force a lot of people to spend LESS on a chunk of their roster than they would otherwise
10:26:25 am [wademoore]: many of these "depth" players will sign at minsal, whena reneg would get them slightly above that
10:26:30 am [Ben E Lou]: heh....fair point, wade
10:26:36 am [Ben E Lou]: that's a DARN good point
10:26:42 am [Ben E Lou]: hadn't thought about that, but i'll bet you're right
10:26:54 am [wademoore]: feel free to steal it, because you will articulate it better than me
10:27:03 am [kurtism]: well, and middling players that start for you want WAY TOO MUCH to resign
10:27:13 am [Ben E Lou]: ding ding ding kurt
10:27:13 am [wademoore]: and, fwiw, I believe greg is right.. any player that is "on your team" shows up as red
10:27:15 am [kurtism]: should be more reasonable on the open market
10:27:18 am [Ben E Lou]: that's exactly what wade is getting at...
10:27:24 am [wademoore]: right, that's what I'm saying
10:27:29 am [kurtism]: and if you get outbid, someone really just did you a favor
10:27:36 am [wademoore]: heh, too true kurt
10:27:45 am [Ben E Lou]: people re-sign those 43/43 types for requested renegs of $3M a year or whatever
10:27:51 am [Ben E Lou]: now they'll get them for minsal
10:27:59 am [wademoore]: yup

Q: But I don't understand how to sign players in Free Agency. I'll be at a big disadvantage.

A: Overall, it's actually very straightforward, significantly more straightforward than the draft. Ben will be providing a detailed primer revealing every "trick" he knows, with some help from Quik.

Head to Old Owners Reclaim Your Teams/New Owners Request A Team Thread. - FOF2K7 Forum to sign up.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-05-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Daimyo
College Starter

Why not go all the way and make the draft free market as well? Either by putting all the players into FA2 (not sure if this is possible) or having teams bid dead cap space for draft slots.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Why not go all the way and make the draft free market as well? Either by putting all the players into FA2 (not sure if this is possible) or having teams bid dead cap space for draft slots.
It is possible, but I found that it failed miserably when we tried it in FOWL. People like to have a draft, it seems.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Good to see someone picking up the spirit of the vNFL Edge. Hope you can find enough interested people Ben, I always thought the concept was rehreshing and different.

I wish you all the best and hope you make it work.

Cheers,
-Bear

[email protected]
TCY Golden Scribe Winner - Bear Goes Home

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay
beargrowlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Ben E Lou

We picked this idea back up, and only 2 spots are left. Sign up now!

New "Free Market" Multiplayer League Starting, Using WOOF League Structure - Front Office Football Central
Old 02-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Ben E Lou

Full. Forum is up.

World Order Of Football Forum
Old 02-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

The page won't load for me. Looks like IE is hanging trying to load though.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
The page won't load for me. Looks like IE is hanging trying to load though.
Lousy timing...

Quote:
Emergency Maintenance: US VPS subscriptions
by TS_USER on FEBRUARY 2,2013 5:49 PM
Dear valued VPS customers,

All customers hosted in our Rochester Data center will be experiencing a brief interruption to your VPS service. This will be affecting both Linux and HyperV servers. Our Operations team is working on resolving this as soon as possible and we will update you with more information.

Thank you for your understanding,

- Your Customer Support Team
Old 02-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Ben E Lou

Up and running again.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
Ben E Lou

The league file is being released tonight. There are only two teams left to be claimed. Jump in on this now. Massive free agency begins on Monday, so you'll have some time to make a plan.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
Ben E Lou

Oh, several links are in this thread. In case it's not clear, go to the forum now to sign up: World Order Of Football Forum
Old 04-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #12
Ben E Lou

We have one opening for next season, maybe two. Copenhagen is open for sure. Head to the WOOF forum if interested.