Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2005, 09:52 AM   #1
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

OT - Effing Car Repairs!

So I've discovered that in order to repair my car's air conditioning, I need to replace the compressor and the drier. The shop that tells me this wants almost $900 for the work. Being as how that represents a substantial portion of my total worth, I'm searching around for a cheaper route. Anyone know of a reputable online source for auto parts?

Living in South Carolina during the summer with no A/C is pretty withering, I can assure you. Stupid broken car.

NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:58 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
You might want to check the local junkyards. They might have those parts on a wrecked car you can get. Granted, they are used, but the price is going to be much less (probably around $50). You still are gonna have to pay someone to put them on and recharge the system, and that will probably be around $200.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I know how you feel. My car's in the shop right now getting $400+ worth of radiator cooling-related repairs. In the past 8 months, I've spent about $2500 (before now) on anticipated and unanticipated repairs. Enough is enough. I decided last weekend that I was going to buy a new car, so I'm fixing this one, putting it in the paper, and getting an Acura this weekend. I guess I was kidding myself when I thought a Mazda would last 8 years or so (which is what I was aiming for).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:00 AM   #4
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Last month I spent $800 on my car. A hundred for 2 new tires, 400 for new brakes front and back and 300 for new censors.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:08 AM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
So I've discovered that in order to repair my car's air conditioning, I need to replace the compressor and the drier. The shop that tells me this wants almost $900 for the work. Being as how that represents a substantial portion of my total worth, I'm searching around for a cheaper route. Anyone know of a reputable online source for auto parts?

Living in South Carolina during the summer with no A/C is pretty withering, I can assure you. Stupid broken car.

Well, the shop is already gonna charge you at least double if not triple what the cost of the new parts is. Perhaps you could find some sort of mobile mechanic or even take it to an auto school for them to put it on. I would think you could save a lot of money in either of those scenerios. $900 seems extreme, what kind of car is it, you could at least then look at autozone and see how much the specific parts(compressor and drier) cost.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

At least for my car, it would be 300 bucks for the compressor, and 150 for the drier retail wise(for remanufactured). So yeah, you are over the barrell on this one.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:33 AM   #7
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
Last month I spent $800 on my car. A hundred for 2 new tires, 400 for new brakes front and back and 300 for new censors.

Too much foul language getting into your car?
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote