Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
RendeR
Coordinator

Finally getting out of Mass-hole-chusettes!!!

My wife has been offered a job at Buffalo State College and we'll be moving into the Buffalo area within the next 3 weeks!

We've been hoping for a chance like this for the 4 years we've been here. We have family there and the cost of living is almot 1/2 of what it is here.

So if you don't hear much from Telle or I in the next 4-6 weeks , its only because we're cozing up in a new and better place! never fear, we shall be back once we get settled in!

Ren

RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #2
weinstein7
High School JV

Dude....Buffalo?

Good luck with that.
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
RendeR
Coordinator

I know, I always here nothing but negative things about Buffalo.

HOWEVER

I spend a lot of time there visiting the in laws and more of Telle's family. Its really a comfortable and pleasent place. The people are like people anywhere, they can be great or they can suck ass.

The weather is PERFECT for me. not too hot in summer and TONS of snow in winter, Have I mentioned that i LOVE snow? Winter is my Season!

Its a win win situation for us truth be told.

I'm jazzed!
Old 05-23-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinstein7
Dude....Buffalo?

Good luck with that.

Coming from a person in Rochester? I wish we had QOTM!
Old 05-23-2005, 03:54 PM   #5
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

And this is better than Boston or Mass how ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:00 PM   #6
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
blah blah blah Telle blah blah blah

pics plz k thx
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Coming from a person in Rochester? I wish we had QOTM!

Whatever you say Troy-boy :P

And RendeR, all kidding aside, congrats. It's true, the people up here are pretty nice, and if you like snow, well.....yeah. There's plenty of that. And you just can't beat the wings. Have some at Anchor Bar for me!
Old 05-23-2005, 07:59 PM   #8
st.cronin
General Manager

I have to say, I don't love Massachussetts at all as a place to live, but I laughed out loud when I saw that you were relieved to be finally moving to ... Buffalo. Buffalo is JUST LIKE MASSACHUSSETTS, only cold. Anyway, good luck.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:09 PM   #9
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinstein7
Dude....Buffalo?

Good luck with that.

No kidding !I will take Boston over BUFFALO any day of the week and twice on Sunday!
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:15 PM   #10
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
No kidding !I will take Boston over BUFFALO any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Boston is about the last city in America I would choose to live in. If it was between Boston and Los Angeles, I would have to think for a long time.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:32 PM   #11
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Is BSC different than the Buffalo that's in the MAC?
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:20 PM   #12
RendeR
Coordinator

A) Buffalo is, on the average far warmer than Boston

B) Buffalo gets less snow than people seem to believe, but more than the national average which makes me perfectly happy.

C) New England in general and Bostonians in specific seem to think they have something un-fucking-believable here in the Bay state.

D) People in point C are wrong. Its an overpopulated asshole sanctuary from which I will GLADLY remove myself. If the great quake that can never happen ever does hit the east coast, perhaps New England and NYC will fall into the atlantic and the nation will be spared their personality problems.

E) Telle grew up in Buffalo and of all the places I've been and lived (17 foreign countries and 43 of the 50 states) It is the ONLY place I've ever felt comfortable.

and finally

F as in the grade I give the state of MA, the city of Boston, and the general population of New England in politeness, general good will, and class. Don't even get me started on the utter lack of driving ability. Buffalo is half the cost of living as Boston, probably less than that of the actual city of Boston. That alone should be cause enough for people to be flocking away from this cess pool. The people are generally more pleasent and the weather , while more snowy, is not nearly as frigidly cold.

Anyway, the only thing I may miss is the lower prices on seafood. Things are about 2 bucks more per lb for seafood items in Buffalo. I LOVE seafood.

The Wings cover this problem nicely though, Anchor Bar here we come!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:24 PM   #13
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnMikeBrown
Is BSC different than the Buffalo that's in the MAC?

Yes they are different, the University of Buffalo if the one in the MAC, and thats only a recent thing a few years ago. They just moved up to DIV-I with Albany. The Buff-State Bengals are still Div-II I believe, they may be as low as Div-III.

I'll enjoy going to their football games anyway since they not only carry the BEngals name, but the best colors too, Orange and Black baby!

UPDATE: She'll be starting there on the 13th of June, so the 3 week countdown has begun! Westward-HHHHHHOOOOoooooooooooooooo!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:43 PM   #14
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
F as in the grade I give the state of MA, the city of Boston, and the general population of New England in politeness, general good will, and class. Don't even get me started on the utter lack of driving ability.
F'ing Elitists.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:47 PM   #15
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Wouldn't Assachusetts be better?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:15 PM   #16
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000

Ahahahahahahaha!

Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:21 PM   #17
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I loathe New England because you can Ask This Old House there.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:32 PM   #18
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000

it would but the generally accept title for the residents of the state is:

Massholes

hence my initial color commentary.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:42 PM   #19
weinstein7
High School JV

Well, if there's one thing Western New York is not, it's overpopulated. There's a reason property values are so low here. Supply and demand at work! Good luck doing your part to reverse the brain drain.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:45 PM   #20
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

well, I've only been to Buffalo once (and it was really, really, really fucking cold - like 40 below), but I can't see that it could be any worse than Mass.

and Render, I agree with all those points...but you forgot the annoying accents.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:48 PM   #21
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Boston is about the last city in America I would choose to live in. If it was between Boston and Los Angeles, I would have to think for a long time.

Heh, only poor people live in the city of LA. Everyone else lives in the suburbs
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:10 PM   #22
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Shit, I moved to Boston last July (like you, did the world traveling bit) - and its been fairly nice. No one's been particularly assholic, though if I hear one more Tom Brady ass-kissing (the Derek Jeter of the NFL, as it were) - I'm liable to scream, but when the Sox won, it was the experience of a lifetime. To me, moving anywhere south of the Mason-dixie line or not on the coasts (with the exception of Chicago) would be a hell of a lot worse than Boston - which is a fairly charming, quaint city with culture, IMO.

List of American cities (in order of preference).
1. San Francisco
2. New York
3. Boston
4. San Diego
5. Seattle
6. Chicago
7. Denver

That's about it...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:14 PM   #23
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
A) Buffalo is, on the average far warmer than Boston

B) Buffalo gets less snow than people seem to believe, but more than the national average which makes me perfectly happy.

C) New England in general and Bostonians in specific seem to think they have something un-fucking-believable here in the Bay state.

D) People in point C are wrong. Its an overpopulated asshole sanctuary from which I will GLADLY remove myself. If the great quake that can never happen ever does hit the east coast, perhaps New England and NYC will fall into the atlantic and the nation will be spared their personality problems.

E) Telle grew up in Buffalo and of all the places I've been and lived (17 foreign countries and 43 of the 50 states) It is the ONLY place I've ever felt comfortable.

and finally

F as in the grade I give the state of MA, the city of Boston, and the general population of New England in politeness, general good will, and class. Don't even get me started on the utter lack of driving ability. Buffalo is half the cost of living as Boston, probably less than that of the actual city of Boston. That alone should be cause enough for people to be flocking away from this cess pool. The people are generally more pleasent and the weather , while more snowy, is not nearly as frigidly cold.

Anyway, the only thing I may miss is the lower prices on seafood. Things are about 2 bucks more per lb for seafood items in Buffalo. I LOVE seafood.

The Wings cover this problem nicely though, Anchor Bar here we come!

I definitely agree with point C. Pretty much any city in America is friendlier than Boston. The only reason to go to Boston is if you are going to college there. Otherwise, it's a shithole.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:41 PM   #24
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Heh, only poor people live in the city of LA. Everyone else lives in the suburbs

Well that's snazzy!
Old 05-24-2005, 04:14 AM   #25
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
I loved working in Boston myself
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:19 AM   #26
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan

well sure...compared to where YOU were coming from...
Old 05-24-2005, 08:28 AM   #27
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
So you want millions of people to die, but we are the assholes?
Old 05-24-2005, 08:32 AM   #28
KevinNU7
College Starter

This thread really has me upset
Old 05-24-2005, 08:36 AM   #29
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7

Ditto.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:54 AM   #30
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
My wife has been offered a job at Buffalo State College and we'll be moving into the Buffalo area within the next 3 weeks!

We've been hoping for a chance like this for the 4 years we've been here. We have family there and the cost of living is almot 1/2 of what it is here.

So if you don't hear much from Telle or I in the next 4-6 weeks , its only because we're cozing up in a new and better place! never fear, we shall be back once we get settled in!

Ren

Dude, I'm an alum. It's a hellhole (more the town than the college). My condolensces.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:54 AM   #31
Telle
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
Dude, I'm an alum. It's a hellhole (more the town than the college). My condolensces.

The city itself definately leaves something to be desired, but we're not really city people anyways. We'll eventually be looking to settle south of the city, in the more rural areas.

It's just a much more laid-back area than here in Massachusetts. There's not so many people, not so much hustle-and-bustle, the traffic's not nearly as bad.

The biggest benefit is that we'll have family nearby. I'm sure anyone with kids can vouch for the value in having Gramma readily available for babysitting.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #32
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:

no kidding

i love Boston and New England and couldn't really imagine living anywhere else
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:50 AM   #33
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
I'm jazzed!

You're jazzed?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

Last edited by gottimd : 05-24-2005 at 11:50 AM.
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:22 PM   #34
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

I wouldn't sweat it, if someone prefers Buffalo over Boston, then obviously there's a few cards missing from the deck.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:23 PM   #35
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan

The English love Boston for whatever reason.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:29 PM   #36
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Buffalo has good eats. Plus its really close to the Falls and Canada. And it also has very good food. Other than the snow, the Beef on Weck is top notch. And the Bills rarely sell out, so you can probably get tickets at will. And they also have good food there.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:55 PM   #37
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
If the great quake that can never happen ever does hit the east coast, perhaps New England and NYC will fall into the atlantic and the nation will be spared their personality problems.

Ouch. I knew RendeR wasn't one of my fans, but this is beyond even HA level.

We're actually thinking very seriously about moving to Michigan right now, though it has nothing to do with the people here. Just the price and availability of land and proximity to family. I spent last week in the Ann Arbor area scouting out neighborhoods.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:01 PM   #38
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Ouch. I knew RendeR wasn't one of my fans, but this is beyond even HA level.

We're actually thinking very seriously about moving to Michigan right now, though it has nothing to do with the people here. Just the price and availability of land and proximity to family. I spent last week in the Ann Arbor area scouting out neighborhoods.

Ann Arbor Pioneer high school has a good hockey program these days ... And it houses all potential Michigan hockey recruits. Have a boy and get him on the ice.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #39
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And dola .. I agree .. Boston has the worst drivers I've ever encountered.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:08 PM   #40
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Ann Arbor Pioneer high school has a good hockey program these days ... And it houses all potential Michigan hockey recruits. Have a boy and get him on the ice.

We already have the boy - two years old and already showing signs of being into sports.

I grew up about a mile from Pioneer, but didn't go there. I thought Berenson got his recruits from Canada.

It was strange being back this week. Drove past the old home, a 1,700-sqft Tudor that was in our family for more than 40 years. The new owners had two giant minivans in the driveway that resembled Gulliver's vehicles in Lilliput.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:14 PM   #41
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
We already have the boy - two years old and already showing signs of being into sports.

I grew up about a mile from Pioneer, but didn't go there. I thought Berenson got his recruits from Canada.

It was strange being back this week. Drove past the old home, a 1,700-sqft Tudor that was in our family for more than 40 years. The new owners had two giant minivans in the driveway that resembled Gulliver's vehicles in Lilliput.

With the US Developmental Program in Ann Arbor, U of M alumn sponser these kids and send them to AA Pioneer, where they go to school and play hockey (obviously not for AAP, but AAP has some damn good talent still)
Old 05-24-2005, 10:02 PM   #42
RendeR
Coordinator

First off let me state that although I have a serious spiteful streak, I would be extremely upset of the eastern seaboard fell into the ocean. I am not the heartless monster I like to claim to be at times.

Second, Jim: I don't know how you ever got the idea I wasn't a fan, I love your games and appreciate the steadfast way you support your products. I've been a supporter of yours since I discovered this wonderful passtime.

If its any indication at all, I became the spiteful hateful person my earlier post implies 4 years ago when we moved here. I used to be a love-alot-bear, honest. But they cut my cartoon series and I had to get a real job

My hyperbole is intended only to help describe my deep internal loathing for this region, not for any specific individuals. If I offended anyone, I apologize. Though if you're offended because I hate New England, you can stick it in your Lobster rolls.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:52 PM   #43
Galaxy
Coordinator

Living about 35 minutes south of Buffalo, do not live in Erie County. They are in a meltdown with the budget, cutting nearly every service to the bare minimum. As for Buffalo, it's a friendly place with good food if you like chicken wings and "comfort" foods. As for snow, Buffalo gets alot more then Boston, Just that here, the snow doesn't "pile" up like it does in Boston due to the cramp district. Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester are usually leaders in the snow area. Having been to Boston prolly a dozen times the past year for medical reasons, I prolly live in Boston over Buffalo. I cannot wait to graduate college and "spread my wings".
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote