Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #1
maximus
Banned

2005 Chicago Bears released players thread

This guy was not only a bust but a distraction.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=6920

Quote:
LAKE FOREST, Ill. - The Bears continued to reshape their offense Monday by releasing enigmatic wide receiver David Terrell.
Terrell, who had one year remaining on his contract, never emerged as the type of player the Bears envisioned when they selected him with the eighth pick in the 2001 draft. In 53 career games, he had 128 receptions for 1,602 yards and 9 touchdowns. Wide receiver David Terrell caught 42 passes for 699 yards and 1 TD in 2004.

The move comes two days after the Bears agreed to terms with marquee free agent Muhsin Muhammad, a two-time Pro Bowler who led NFL wide receivers with 1,405 yards and 16 TDs last year while playing for the Carolina Panthers.

"It is unfortunate things didn't turn out better for David in Chicago," said general manager Jerry Angelo. "Our decision to release David had nothing to do with his passion for the game or the effort he gave us on Sunday. He brought a lot of energy to the game. He also was one of our leading contributors in our community programs.

"We were able to add a Pro Bowl wideout this pass weekend, and those types of moves can affect others on the team. We felt it was in our best interest, and David's, to let him go now. He will have the advantage of the full free agency period to find another team and I know many will be interested."

Terrell's four seasons with the Bears were marked by dropped passes, costly penalties and fines for throwing and kicking footballs into the stands.

The former Michigan star also had trouble off the field with arrests in June 2002 after an altercation with a parking valet and last November for several traffic violations.

Last edited by maximus : 05-23-2005 at 04:45 PM.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Thank you Patriots for not drafting that fool like half of the stupid Boston fans who wanted you to.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
JasonC23
High School Varsity

David Terrell led the league in most penalty yardage by a skill position player.

That takes talent.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:12 PM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

When you think of penalties, think of Terrell.

When you think of garbage, think of Akeem.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #5
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I wonder what they're going to do with pick #4 now....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:24 PM   #6
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
I wonder what they're going to do with pick #4 now....

I've heard they are lovin' RB Ronnie Brown.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:29 PM   #7
maximus
Banned

.....and Jerry Angelo says a QB pick is also in the works. Look for a top 4 QB pick.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:36 PM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

Maybe Curtis Enis is available to draft again.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:37 PM   #9
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos

No, but half-brother Harry Penis is.

Last edited by maximus : 02-28-2005 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:10 PM   #10
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I really hope they don't take Braylon Edwards. Ronnie Brown would be cool. A QB would surprise me, but maybe they've decided that Rex is too fragile to depend on. Of course, what they really need is o-line help, and lots of it, but I don't know if there's an LT worthy of the #4 pick...
Old 02-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #11
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I challenge anyone to find a single Bears fan who was upset with Terrel's release.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #12
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

It boggles my mind why they would burn a #4 pick on a RB, when they have Thomas Jones. He's plenty good enough.

QB? No. Sign one of the vets being released, see what Rex can do with a real WR.

I'd trade down at this point. Snare 2 1st rounders, draft a Cornerback and an O-Liner.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:16 PM   #13
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
It boggles my mind why they would burn a #4 pick on a RB, when they have Thomas Jones. He's plenty good enough.

QB? No. Sign one of the vets being released, see what Rex can do with a real WR.

I'd trade down at this point. Snare 2 1st rounders, draft a Cornerback and an O-Liner.

I like the way you think.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:25 PM   #14
maximus
Banned

Quote:

OK, so far this is what I have heard.

QB. We will be going after a vetern QB in FA. However, Mike McMahon from Detroit may be the way Jerry Angelo goes.

RB in the draft. There are some concerns about the on-going health issues Thomas Jones has. In his 4 year career has has missed at least 3 games due to injury.

OL. Another FA move will be made soon. Not sure where JA is going with this though.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:28 PM   #15
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23
NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I really hope they don't take Braylon Edwards. Ronnie Brown would be cool. A QB would surprise me, but maybe they've decided that Rex is too fragile to depend on. Of course, what they really need is o-line help, and lots of it, but I don't know if there's an LT worthy of the #4 pick...

They are commiting to Rex but are still going to pick up a FA QB. OL will come in FA I've read.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:29 PM   #16
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
OK, so far this is what I have heard.

QB. We will be going after a vetern QB in FA. However, Mike McMahon from Detroit may be the way Jerry Angelo goes.

RB in the draft. There are some concerns about the on-going health issues Thomas Jones has. In his 4 year career has has missed at least 3 games due to injury.

OL. Another FA move will be made soon. Not sure where JA is going with this though.

Pretty much the same buzz I'm hearing. Which...is why Angelo needs to be sent far, far away. If he drafts a RB at #4, he must be summarily executed.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:32 PM   #17
maximus
Banned

Yes, I agree....JA should be fired.

Lol, you ever check this site out?

http://www.firejerryangelo.com/default.asp

great site.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:01 PM   #18
mhass
High School Varsity

I hear great things about Brown, but I'm with you guys - Jones will work. There are some decent second round running backs. Regardless of the QB they need a LEFT TACKLE!

They almost can't trade down. The top of the draft is so weak, no one wants to move up. I saw in one Chicago paper Sunday that moving down in this draft might not actually gain you any picks - just save signing bonus money. But that sounds like the Bears.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:25 PM   #19
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
However, Mike McMahon from Detroit may be the way Jerry Angelo goes.

Good luck with "The Neck", fellas, if that's what happens.

Poor David Terrell. Never like to see a UofM guy implode like that. Perhaps he'll get signed by New England on the cheap, re-uniting him with Tom Brady and start making magic all over again...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:36 PM   #20
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Everyone wants to trade out of the top group, it seems. Unless you want a top RB, it makes a lot of sense.

This is probably the biggest problem with the cap structure - there's no recognition of the difference between a superstar top five draft and an ordinary top five draft.

Bears are best off just getting the top athlete available.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:40 PM   #21
Blackadar
Retired

For some reason, I always thought David Terrell had major potential to be a star.

I wonder how he'd fit in on the Steelers...they need a big WR now that Burress is gone.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:03 PM   #22
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I've heard the Bears are looking into Kurt Warner. In fact, the rumored QB movements are Warner to the Bears, Brad Johnson to the Cardinals, and Jeff Garcia to the Lions.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #23
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Yes, I agree....JA should be fired.

Lol, you ever check this site out?

http://www.firejerryangelo.com/default.asp

great site.

Nothing topped firejohnshoop.com, though.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:23 PM   #24
Lucky Jim
Mascot

I think (or am really hoping actually) that Angelo is posturing with the Rb and Qb talk to try and entice one of those teams behind him that are really desperate for one of the big three runners to try and move up. Maybe the Cardinals at #8 would want to cut in front of the Bucs. Especially if they thought the Bears might take Brown and then the Bucs take Williams (assuming Benson goes to the fins) and they end up not getting one of the top tier backs. I agree that the Bears' needs are elsewhere. And #8 would suit them much better than #4. All that said though I don't understand the Qb talk. Aren't Smith and Rogers supposed to be gone at #4, to the Niners or Browns?
Lucky Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:38 PM   #25
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Jim
I think (or am really hoping actually) that Angelo is posturing with the Rb and Qb talk to try and entice one of those teams behind him that are really desperate for one of the big three runners to try and move up. Maybe the Cardinals at #8 would want to cut in front of the Bucs. Especially if they thought the Bears might take Brown and then the Bucs take Williams (assuming Benson goes to the fins) and they end up not getting one of the top tier backs. I agree that the Bears' needs are elsewhere. And #8 would suit them much better than #4. All that said though I don't understand the Qb talk. Aren't Smith and Rogers supposed to be gone at #4, to the Niners or Browns?

JA, is known to do such things.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:40 PM   #26
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Nothing topped firejohnshoop.com, though.
Thankfully, his spirit is alive and well in Ron Turner
Old 02-28-2005, 09:51 PM   #27
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
Thankfully, his spirit is alive and well in Ron Turner

Arghh, don't remind me....bad move....bad move.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:57 PM   #28
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Terell was one of those "locks" coming out of college... oof, what a disappointment.

Still, someone who is starving for a wideout will likely give him a second chance.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:56 AM   #29
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Thank you Patriots for not drafting that fool like half of the stupid Boston fans who wanted you to.

I second that, he was a Pats pick on many mock draft boards in 2001 (along with Leonard Davis who wasn't around by then). Hmmm, David Terrell or Richard Seymour. Tough choice. Seymour went two picks ahead to the Pats.

I remember wanting them to pick Deuce McCallister, which would have worked well too. Man, I sure am smart.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 03-01-2005 at 12:57 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:59 AM   #30
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
I second that, he was a Pats pick on many mock draft boards in 2001 (along with Leonard Davis who wasn't around by then). Hmmm, David Terrell or Richard Seymour. Tough choice. Seymour went two picks ahead to the Pats.

I remember wanting them to pick Deuce McCallister, which would have worked well too. Man, I sure am smart.

I remember that draft, and thinking they were dead for not getting a decent running back. Now everyone is saying they must, must draft either a linebacker or a corner. They'll probably take a RB.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:02 AM   #31
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Yeah, they just might. They have almost zero depth there.

The only positions I am pretty sure they won't pick in round 1 are TE and QB.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 10:43 PM   #32
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Poor David Terrell. Never like to see a UofM guy implode like that. Perhaps he'll get signed by New England on the cheap, re-uniting him with Tom Brady and start making magic all over again...

Am I genius or what?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2029266

Talented but underachieving wide receiver David Terrell, released by the Chicago Bears on Feb. 28, has reached agreement in principle on a one-year contract with the New England Patriots, a deal that provides the Super Bowl champions with an intriguing deep threat.

Financial details of the contract, which is expected to be signed early this week, were not available. Terrell was entering the final year of his original contract in Chicago when he was released.

David Terrell
Wide Receiver
Chicago Bears
2004 SEASON STATISTICS
RecYdsTDAvgLongYAC

Terrell, 26, was courted in free agency by several other teams, among them the New York Giants and Tampa Bay Bucs. Key to his signing with the Patriots, beyond the chance to resuscitate his career with a winning organization, was the opportunity to reunite with quarterback Tom Brady, a former University of Michigan teammate.

Over the past few weeks, Brady has urged New England officials to sign Terrell.

It is not known if the acquisition of Terrell will preclude New England from re-signing wide receiver Troy Brown, released last month by the Patriots for salary cap reasons. A longtime fan favorite in New England, and a player who subjugated his own individual numbers by playing cornerback in 2004 to help the team cope with injuries in the secondary, Brown remains in the free agent market. There has been considerable speculation that Brown might re-join the Patriots at some point.

The Patriots lost No. 3 wideout David Patten, who defected to Washington as an unrestricted free agent, and Terrell may be able to replace him as a deep threat.

Chosen by the Bears in the first round of the 2001 draft, the eighth prospect selected overall that year, Terrell was supposed to bring to Chicago the big playmaking skills he demonstrated at the college level. Problems on and off the field, however, kept Terrell from fulfilling his potential in four seasons with the Bears.

In 53 games, including 29 starts, Terrell had 128 catches for 1,602 yards and nine touchdowns. He started a career-high 15 games in 2004 and posted 42 receptions for 699 yards. In defense of Terrell, who has suffered through stretches of inconsistency, Chicago was forever shuffling quarterbacks during his tenure and the offensive design wasn't always conducive to his success.

Terrell is representative of the kind of player the Patriots are so adept at rehabilitating, a veteran with still-solid skills, one who could emerge when put into a winning situation.

---------------------------------

All right folks, I just checked with Terrell's mama, and she's confirmed there's still plenty of space left on the Daivd Terrell Band Wagon Express. As Founder and Co-Vice President, I welcome y'all aboard!!!

TOOT! TOOT!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-03-2005, 11:33 PM   #33
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Patriots can kiss any hopes of the Super Bowl goodbye now.

I can see it. Final drive of the AFC Championship, trying to get into field goal range. Terrell catches a pass that puts them just within range, decides he's won the game, strips, and runs around the field naked.

15 yard penalty putting them out of range, clock runs out, game over.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:49 AM   #34
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

I can see it. Final drive of the AFC Championship, trying to get into field goal range. Terrell catches a pass that puts them just within range, decides he's won the game, strips, and runs around the field naked.

Wrong. There is no "out of range" kick for Vinatieri with the game on the line
Old 04-04-2005, 12:29 PM   #35
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Wrong. There is no "out of range" kick for Vinatieri with the game on the line

You underestimate the power of Terrell.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:11 PM   #36
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:

You lost me at "catches"...
Old 04-04-2005, 01:13 PM   #37
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23
You lost me at "catches"...

Very good point.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:51 PM   #38
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You're spending your time picturing David Terrell stripping naked... You are a sick, sick man. Put the lotion down...
Old 04-05-2005, 04:33 AM   #39
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
You underestimate the power of Terrell.

I think you underestimate the badness of Chicago QBs.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:59 PM   #40
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I think you underestimate the badness of Chicago QBs.

So it was the Chicago QB's fault when Terrell gets called for holding on the first drive, negating a 50+ yard Thomas Jones TD in the first drive of the game, while he was ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FIELD? Not to mention that he had no catches that game. And that's not totally on the QB -- other guys had catches in that game. I mean, it's not like he was even the leading receiver on the Bears.

That said, I think he and the Pats can make it work.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #41
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
So it was the Chicago QB's fault when Terrell gets called for holding on the first drive, negating a 50+ yard Thomas Jones TD in the first drive of the game, while he was ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FIELD? Not to mention that he had no catches that game. And that's not totally on the QB -- other guys had catches in that game. I mean, it's not like he was even the leading receiver on the Bears.

That said, I think he and the Pats can make it work.

Passac, David appreciates your support on his move to New England.

As for the play/game referred to above, this is how the DTBWE (David Terrell Band Wagon Express) sees it:

It was the crappy Chicago QB's fault. You see, the defense stacked 8, 9, 10... 11 men in the box because the QB sucked so bad. So, DT, being the trooper and hardworker that he is, was trying to block his guy(s). You see, DT, being the best WR on the team, was being constantly double-teamed. (This and the sucky QBness and resulted in the zero catches). We reckon the play was originally supposed to go to DT's side, but Jones cut it back at the last minute towards the less heavily defended side of the field. Anyways, it was a bullshit call. DT was not holding on that play. The refs are simply out to get him. What else explains all those penalties on our man? We here at the DTBWE smell a conspiracy theory...

As for not being the leading receiver for the Bears, while that may be true, we can't confirm it because we have no idea who any of the other Bears receivers even are.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:44 PM   #42
maximus
Banned

Other big releases in the past few days;

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=8496

R.W. McQuarters. (CB & PR)

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=8484

Paul Edinger (K)

I agree with both of these releases. RW was way over paid for what little he did and Edinger well....only hit 25 out of 43 FGs in the last 1 1/2 years.

Last edited by maximus : 05-23-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:07 AM   #43
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Halfway through the 2003 season, I told someone that Paul Edinger is the most underrated kicker in the NFL. Edinger thanked me by completely sucking the rest of that season and all of last year. I'll miss his funky style, but I've already been missing the awesome kicker he used to be for a while now.

Last edited by JasonC23 : 05-24-2005 at 10:07 AM.
JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote