Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Tim Tellean
High School JV

Tony Gonzalez traded to Falcons

Tony Gonzalez is finally getting his wish.
The Chiefs have agreed to trade the perennial Pro Bowl tight end to the Atlanta Falcons for a second-round pick in the 2010 draft, FOXSports.com has learned.Gonzalez has been the symbol of the Chiefs offense for the past 12 seasons, making 10 consecutive Pro Bowls and six All-Pro teams. Kansas City drafted him with the 13th overall pick in 1997.

Jay Glazer reports.

Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yep.

Report: Gonzalez Traded To Falcons
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 23, 2009, 2:30 p.m.

The Kansas City Chiefs have traded Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez to the Atlanta Falcons in exchange for a second-round draft pick, according to Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com.

This marks the first trade between former New England Patriots colleagues Scott Pioli, the Chiefs’ General Manager, and Thomas Dimitroff, Falcons’ General Manager.

Ironically, Gonzalez rejected a trade to Atlanta last year.

Now, though, the Falcons have an established young quarterback in Matt Ryan.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Second rounder this year or next?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

awesome! Ryan-to-Gonzalez FTW!

WEAPONS FOR MATTY!!! HERE COME THE DIRTY BIRDS!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Yep.

Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 23, 2009, 2:30 p.m.

Ironically, Gonzalez rejected a trade to Atlanta last year.

Don't you think? Like rain on your drafting day?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Second rounder this year or next?

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Tigercat
College Starter

Serious good TEs in the South now between Winslow, Shockey, and Gonzales. (Although Winslow and Shockey are often injured these days, and have their the U attitudes, and Gonzales is getting up in age.)
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Don't you think? Like rain on your drafting day?

When will you do a full drafting version of your song Miss Morissette?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Certainly not a surprise as it's been rumored for a couple of weeks now that he was headed to Atlanta. Hate to see Tony go, but it really was time. He's got a year or two left before he starts to decline and the Chiefs need to improve their defense through the draft.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
path12
Coordinator

I need to up my asking price on my 10+ year vets in my MP leagues now. A second rounder for a 12 year guy? Wow.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
Thomkal
Head Coach

a good move for the Chiefs really with the new coach and GM. He's been a distraction too much over the past couple seasons, and he does deserve to be on a team that has a chance for the playoffs sooner than the Chiefs likely do. Wouldn't that be ironic if the Chiefs made the playoffs this year and the Falcons didn't?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Awesome.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I need to up my asking price on my 10+ year vets in my MP leagues now. A second rounder for a 12 year guy? Wow.

He's a mentor.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Tony Gonzalez is finally getting his wish.

Quote:
Gonzalez rejected a trade to Atlanta last year.

Dur...
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #15
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
This is a poor move on the part of ATL IMO.

2nd round pick for a player with 1-2 years left?

If the Falcons dont win this year *READ*(playoffs) he might just call it quits then and there. Tony is a likeable enough guy, and a good player who used to be a great one. But way past prime.

I'll be the first to admit that I thought the Ryan pick at #3 overall was a tremendous reach. Thats been proven wrong but much of that had to do with Turner. I still say Ryan is 5x better than Flacco, who does nothing for me.

What has to happen for the Falcons to be getting the upper hand on this deal. A pro bowl TE season? NFC Championship game? I dont know, but this looks great on paper for KC.

Last edited by B & B : 04-23-2009 at 03:01 PM.
B & B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I'm very happy with this. One second rounder next year for Tony Gonzales? Yeah, works for me.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-23-2009 at 03:14 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Tony is a likeable enough guy, and a good player who used to be a great one. But way past prime.

dunno. 90 catches on a team with no qb and no real rb seems pretty good to me

but id of liked to see this be a 3rd if he retires after 1 year, 2nd if he doesnt type of deal.

either way, i dont think it puts atlanta over the top
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #18
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
dunno. 90 catches on a team with no qb and no real rb seems pretty good to me

but id of liked to see this be a 3rd if he retires after 1 year, 2nd if he doesnt type of deal.

either way, i dont think it puts atlanta over the top

No, not unless he can play defense. But it does make the offense just that much better, which will help the defense some.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

As a Falcons fan, I don't necessarily mind the trade that much, but Atlanta's receiving game really wasn't their problem last season. I don't see Gonzalez coming in to do much else either. Atlanta's second round draft pick could have been a defensive player that would have helped them more.

But I don't feel that they got a horrible deal either, just not really addressing what I feel their needs were.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's the 2nd rounder in 2010. I fail to see how this is a bad trade for Atlanta, even if they just get one outstanding year(2009) out of him. They still have plenty of picks they can use this year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #21
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Tony Gonzalez is still an All-Pro player and will catch 80-100 balls this year. Barring a injury, I can't see how this was a bad trade for Atlanta.

I think KC did a good job of getting maximum value for him given that he wasn't interested in staying in KC at this point.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #22
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Torn on this trade as a Chiefs fan.

Pros: He's coming off an incredible year and likely doesn't have much more of that performance in the tank. A second round pick for a guy his age is a good deal. His presence in the offense will slow the development of any other TE or WR because Gonzalez will always be the go-to-guy and is too much of a security blanket.

Cons: Young QBs with a weak offensive line need a security blank. We don't have a true heir apparent to take over at TE. Free agent Bobby Engram is now the veteran leader of the receiving corps. Shannon Sharpe as effective until 35 and Gonzalez is 33. He's never been seriously hurt and is a fitness machine -- he could have five more good years in him.

I know it had to happen and this is a reasonable outcome. Given the sorry state of the AFC Worst and the worst-to-first trend in the NFL, I think Gonzalez was necessary if this team hoped to sneak to .500 and maybe flirt with the playoffs. And a lot of Chiefs fans really wanted him to finish his career here.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #23
JediKooter
Coordinator

YES!! Now I won't have to see the Chargers leave him wide open in the end zone anymore!!! woohoo!!!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #24
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
We don't have a true heir apparent to take over at TE.

What about Cottam? Read a lot of good things about him heading into the draft (was hoping the Seahawks might snag him as they needed a lot of help at TE, even as it is now, if Carlson goes down, we're in deep trouble).
Old 04-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #25
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
What about Cottam? Read a lot of good things about him heading into the draft (was hoping the Seahawks might snag him as they needed a lot of help at TE, even as it is now, if Carlson goes down, we're in deep trouble).

He's got the physical numbers, but he's a project right now as a pass catcher. I know that Cottam worked extensively in the off-season on his catching skills. We'll see how that plays out. The difference is that he will likely be the 4th or 5th option in this offense rather than the 1st option like Gonzalez was.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 PM   #26
Izulde
Head Coach

Matty has to be one of the happiest guys on the planet right now.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #27
MJ4H
Coordinator

ugh
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #28
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It's the 2nd rounder in 2010. I fail to see how this is a bad trade for Atlanta, even if they just get one outstanding year(2009) out of him. They still have plenty of picks they can use this year.

If you don't make the playoffs, you just gave up a top 40 pick for a guy who's 34.

Not a good way to build a team.

Furthermore, they could have had him for a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline last year and chose not to. Could have very possibly been the difference in losing the division & 1st round bye to CAR last season.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
YES!! Now I won't have to see the Chargers leave him wide open in the end zone anymore!!! woohoo!!!

Well you might get at least one or two chances to relive the memory this year but it won't be as painful this time.

Pre-season, Sat 8/29, 8pm, San Diego at Atlanta.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #30
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
As a Falcons fan, I don't necessarily mind the trade that much, but Atlanta's receiving game really wasn't their problem last season. I don't see Gonzalez coming in to do much else either. Atlanta's second round draft pick could have been a defensive player that would have helped them more.

But I don't feel that they got a horrible deal either, just not really addressing what I feel their needs were.

Their best tight end last season was someone named Peele. They also did not have a legitimate #2 target behind White. Their draft will now be all O-Line & Defense with the possible exception of a late round pick or two.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #31
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
He's got the physical numbers, but he's a project right now as a pass catcher. I know that Cottam worked extensively in the off-season on his catching skills. We'll see how that plays out. The difference is that he will likely be the 4th or 5th option in this offense rather than the 1st option like Gonzalez was.

Okay, but what was the progression last year vs this year? I'd imagine adding Engram will negate the loss of Gonzalez a bit as he's pretty much the definition of a safety blanket, or at least was in his time with Seattle. And if Cottam can work the deep seam with a bit more quickness than what Gonzalez has right now and get Engram working the underneath stuff, could still present some mismatches/keep the chains moving.

Seems to me like they were able to keep a similar level of experience on the field, just moved it a bit further away from the QB at the line of scrimmage and gained a 2nd rounder out of it.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #32
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
Furthermore, they could have had him for a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline last year and chose not to. Could have very possibly been the difference in losing the division & 1st round bye to CAR last season.

Gonzalez was the one who nixed the deal last year. The Falcons wanted him.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #33
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Great pickup for the Falcons. As others have mentioned, the Falcons are getting one of the best catching TE's in the game which will be a huge help to their young QB. And the best thing about this deal is that the Falcons can still find defensive help in the second round since the pick isn't until 2010. Great job by both clubs in getting good value in this trade.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #34
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well you might get at least one or two chances to relive the memory this year but it won't be as painful this time.

Pre-season, Sat 8/29, 8pm, San Diego at Atlanta.

Haha. You know the sad thing will be, the Chargers will have him covered tight because they won't recognize him in a Falcons uniform.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #35
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
If you don't make the playoffs, you just gave up a top 40 pick for a guy who's 34.

How many teams do you think make the playoffs?
Old 04-24-2009, 02:54 AM   #36
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Jay Glazer is also reporting that the deal includes Tony's wife October Gonzalez attending at least a few home games this season.

Sources indicate that Falcons fans are very happy with this turn of events.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:09 AM   #37
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile the current slug for the online edition of the ajc columnist take on the trade
Quote:
In the past, Falcons fans shuttered when the GM made a move.

Note: Spellcheck is not an adequate replacement for actual proofreaders.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #38
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Jay Glazer is also reporting that the deal includes Tony's wife October Gonzalez attending at least a few home games this season.

Sources indicate that Falcons fans are very happy with this turn of events.

For the record, it is not his wife. They are 'partners for life'.

No, I'm not kidding. They really did have a ceremony to become 'partners for life'.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #39
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

There's rumblings that the Chiefs GM and staff are very high on Chase Coffman and hope to get him in the draft. That would make the hole at TE go away in a BIG hurry.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #40
Passacaglia
Coordinator

'Shutter' sounds like it should be an anti-twitter web site.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #41
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
For the record, it is not his wife. They are 'partners for life'.

No, I'm not kidding. They really did have a ceremony to become 'partners for life'.

So she changed her last name, but they're not married?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #42
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
How many teams do you think make the playoffs?

Even if you count the Lions as having a 0% chance, it's still only 6 from 15.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #43
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Gonzalez was the one who nixed the deal last year. The Falcons wanted him.

I didn't hear/read/see that at all. Link???
Old 04-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #44
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
So she changed her last name, but they're not married?

Yeah, it's kind of odd. Tony refused to get married, so they had a 'parters for life' ceremony. I think he's commitment-phobic in regards to being 'married'.

Meh, he's from California. He caught a lot of footballs, so we didn't worry much about it. He's a good guy.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #45
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I didn't hear/read/see that at all. Link???

I don't have an article link, but I know that's true. They reported that all over the KC TV and radio media.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #46
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

That Gonzalez nixed the trade and not the Chiefs? It does not make sense that a guy who asked to be traded would turn down the chance to leave. And I didn't know the NFL offered players of any stature the chance to veto trades (Plummer retiring being the exception)
Old 04-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #47
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
That Gonzalez nixed the trade and not the Chiefs? It does not make sense that a guy who asked to be traded would turn down the chance to leave. And I didn't know the NFL offered players of any stature the chance to veto trades (Plummer retiring being the exception)

He asked for the trade and wanted the team to give him the opportunity to have some say in where he went. There were some teams that he would rather just stay with the Chiefs than go play for that team. Evidently a playoff berth and a new Chiefs coach have changed his feelings about the Falcons. I'm sure his options have become increasingly limited as well, so he's become less picky now.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #48
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Jay Glazer from last year:

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Gonzalez angered and baffled by non-trade

Certainly doesn't read like Gonzalez was turning down anything.

Any links would be appreciated.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #49
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Even if you count the Lions as having a 0% chance, it's still only 6 from 15.

Then yes, if you only count NFC teams, Atlanta could definitely be giving up a top 40 pick. Although if you count all NFL teams, not making the playoffs means that the pick would be somewhere between 33 and 52. I agree with your point, but if you had said 50 instead of 40 it would have made more sense.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #50
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Matty has to be one of the happiest guys on the planet right now.

Pretty incredible turnaround for this franchise in the space of 2 seasons.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote