Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

So today is 'Take Your Kid To Work Day'.......

Office is packed with kids today and there's one thing I notice more than anything else........

There's a lot of fat kids around here! WTF?!?!?!

This just in. Fast food is bad for you. Cook meals for your kids and get them active on occasion. Geez.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I bet you could torture them until they got thinner.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Really? I always seem to remember this getting a fair amount of play at work. Hasn't been mentioned here, and I don't see any kids. Strange.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

I like it. You and I are on the same page.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Ksyrup

Torture? Why not put them to work and go get a Big Mac!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I did a paper on childhood obesity for a nutrition class I took last year. The numbers were staggering.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Torture? Why not put them to work and go get a Big Mac!

Well they did say torture, now didn't they?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I did a paper on childhood obesity for a nutrition class I took last year. The numbers were staggering.

Toss us a brief summary. I'll grab a Quarter Pounder Value Meal for lunch and read your summary when I get back.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Of my 15 24-35 yr old coworkers, none of us have kids.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Finally, a plan we all can agree upon. Fat camp for all!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Office is packed with kids today and there's one thing I notice more than anything else........

There's a lot of fat kids around here! WTF?!?!?!

This just in. Fast food is bad for you. Cook meals for your kids and get them active on occasion. Geez.

Are you walking around calling them fatty?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
chesapeake
College Starter

Who's got the Arrested Development clip? "No touching!"
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Anecdotal but I don't think it's as much about the food as it is the frequency of food, at least not based on our recent experiences.

Consider this feeding schedule, which is the norm for our 11 year old 5th grader.
700 am - Breakfast
1000 am - Morning snack
Noon - Lunch
200 pm - Afternoon break w/snack
400 pm - get home after school snack
700 pm - Dinner

See, by the time I hit 1st grade "snack time" at school was just a memory. Now it's apparently not unheard of for it to continue all the way through high school as they push the benefits of making sure you're not hungry while trying to work (every year he's been in school there's always special snacks during testing weeks, exam weeks, etc even if they didn't already stop down twice a day for it)

It ain't what they're just being fed, it's how often they're eating.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #14
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Anecdotal but I don't think it's as much about the food as it is the frequency of food, at least not based on our recent experiences.

Consider this feeding schedule, which is the norm for our 11 year old 5th grader.
700 am - Breakfast
1000 am - Morning snack
Noon - Lunch
700 pm - Dinner

See, by the time I hit 1st grade "snack time" at school was just a memory. Now it's apparently not unheard of for it to continue all the way through high school as they push the benefits of making sure you're not hungry while trying to work (every year he's been in school there's always special snacks during testing weeks, exam weeks, etc even if they didn't already stop down twice a day for it)

WTF is snack time?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

700 am - Breakfast
1000 am - Morning snack
Noon - Lunch
700 pm - Dinner

Actually, eating 5-6 times a day in small amounts is actually preferred if you have the time. It revs up your body to burn calories knowing that more fuel is coming every few hours rather than eating 2-3 big meals a day, which makes the body feel like it should store more energy. As long as the calorie intake is controlled and regular exercise occurs, that's actually a great eating schedule.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
WTF is snack time?

Basically it's a 10 minute break where they're strongly encouraged to bring a little something to nibble on. I've gone through more Special K bars, Rice Krispie Treats, Goldfish, cheese cubes, crackers, mini boxes of raisins, and fruit snacks that you can shake a stick at over the past 7 years.

I was really looking forward to him getting past that age cause it's a real pain in the butt to figure out what to make sure is here at home (trying to avoid falling into the chips & cheetos routine) but apparently now there really isn't a "past that age", it's never ending.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually, eating 5-6 times a day in small amounts is actually preferred if you have the time. It revs up your body to burn calories knowing that more fuel is coming every few hours rather than eating 2-3 big meals a day, which makes the body feel like it should store more energy. As long as the calorie intake is controlled and regular exercise occurs, that's actually a great eating schedule.

Yeah, right up until you have normal meals at the three traditionals. And I'll be damned if I'm going to deny my kid real honest-to-God food in order to worry about saving calories for all this crap.

Thankfully he got my metabolism, because I've had the same weight +/- 5 pounds since my early 20's now into my early 40's regardless of what I eat. And my heart attack on a plate tendencies have been documented here previously so it's not as though it's from counting calories. And you can safely assume that it definitely isn't related to exercise, which I go to every length possible to avoid as completely as I can.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #18
JediKooter
Coordinator

Shoot, if we had 10 minutes when I was in high school, we would have ran across the street to the taco shop and got some rolled tacos.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #19
Philliesfan980
Banned

Snack time must be a relatively new invention. I'm 28, and when I was through school, the only snack time we had was in Kindergarten.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #20
JediKooter
Coordinator

I wish we could have nap time at work like we did in pre-school.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Snack time must be a relatively new invention. I'm 28, and when I was through school, the only snack time we had was in Kindergarten.

I'm now 42 and had the same experience but that changed some time in the 90's, and it's steadily been stretched out to 2nd grade, then middle school, and now is apparently starting to be pretty much sanctioned in some high schools as well.

And then the same schools make a big fuss about phys ed this and fitness test that and so on. It's inane.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #22
DanGarion
Coordinator

Full disclosure we did have an extended break between 2nd and 3rd periods in High School, I think it was 10-15 minutes and the student store (of which i worked in) did pretty good business during that time. Plus I know the lunch ladies served some snacks and whatever from their carts.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #23
Ksyrup

I eat every 2 hours or so. 6-8 times a day. No meal more than maybe 350-400 calories. I've stayed under 165-170 for over a year so far. What matters more is what they are eating. In theory, they should be eating more often, but not just if they are going to pile potato chips on top of crappy lunches and dinners.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #24
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

+1

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #25
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There's something oddly comforting in knowing that Jon can get so pissed over snack time.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #26
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I was at my daughter's college graduation last weekend. Of the 100 or so graduates, there were a half-dozen that must have waited 400+ pounds. On unfortunate woman apparently decided that in order to distract folks from her enormous girth, she would simply cover her upper chest and neck in a bright and colorful tattoo.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #27
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I was at my daughter's college graduation last weekend. Of the 100 or so graduates, there were a half-dozen that must have waited 400+ pounds. On unfortunate woman apparently decided that in order to distract folks from her enormous girth, she would simply cover her upper chest and neck in a bright and colorful tattoo.

pix plz k thx
Old 04-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's something oddly comforting in knowing that Jon can get so pissed over snack time.

Glad you're comforted by it.

I'm just annoyed by it, instead of just having to figure out what's for the normal meals (often the most perplexing question of the day) it's like having to go through that an extra couple of times.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #29
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
WTF is snack time?

+1
Old 04-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #30
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
700 am - Breakfast
1000 am - Morning snack
Noon - Lunch
700 pm - Dinner

I'm 35. Until 7th grade (Junior High for me), that "morning snack" time was Recess, where we all went outside and ran around like crazed lunatics (well, at least the boys did). I can't recall if we had an afternoon recess.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #31
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I'm 35. Until 7th grade (Junior High for me), that "morning snack" time was Recess, where we all went outside and ran around like crazed lunatics (well, at least the boys did). I can't recall if we had an afternoon recess.

I think we had recess twice in the morning and then once in the afternoon in elementary school.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

For us what I'm referring to as snack time is officially "morning break" and "afternoon break", which consist of 10-15 minutes of combined snacking & lunatic imitations.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #33
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Ah.

Speaking of which, I wish I could have "recess" at work. Maybe I should take up smoking. Of course, these days that would require a 100 yard trek a few times a day....
Old 04-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #34
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
It isn't even a time issue - pretty easy to grab a handful of almonds or a clif bar or something similar and eat on the run.

Either way, this is completely spot on.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #35
PilotMan
Head Coach

Take your kids to work day would make my workday very interesting. My 7 year old would especially love it. The passengers? Not so much.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #36
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ah.

Speaking of which, I wish I could have "recess" at work. Maybe I should take up smoking. Of course, these days that would require a 100 yard trek a few times a day....

Which is how you explain your decision to smoke as one to better your health,.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #37
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Plus I know the lunch ladies served some snacks and whatever from their carts.

This is cracking me up. Picturing a bunch of lunch ladies each pushing their own cart around the school is probably part of it. The other part is imagining the lunch ladies trying to entice you with candy and fish tacos.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #38
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
This is cracking me up. Picturing a bunch of lunch ladies each pushing their own cart around the school is probably part of it. The other part is imagining the lunch ladies trying to entice you with candy and fish tacos.

There was only like 2 of them and the just pushed them to the location they set up and that was it. And there wasn't really any candy or fish. More like cheese rolls, bean burritos, cookies, fruit, and drinks. The student store had all the candy!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #39
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Take your kids to work day would make my workday very interesting. My 7 year old would especially love it. The passengers? Not so much.

He/she would love to be co-pilot for the day. It's not like the co-pilot does anything

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #40
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

In our current test-based environment, recess is out, since that time can be better used in preparing for the test. Snacking can keep the students from losing focus during test preparation and the test itself, so it is encouraged. The days of the test, it is even mandated.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:44 PM   #41
Buccaneer
Head Coach

About 50-55 work on my floor and no kids. They were all in school. Didn't the kids you saw have school today?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #42
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSpeechCoach View Post
In our current test-based environment, recess is out, since that time can be better used in preparing for the test. Snacking can keep the students from losing focus during test preparation and the test itself, so it is encouraged. The days of the test, it is even mandated.

That makes me so sad.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #43
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I want my kid to take me to her job.

It is far more interesting than installing a new payroll system.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote