Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Browser based RPG/character development fighting games

I just got started playing three RPG type games, all three developed by the same people, thus very similar in gameplay, yet they differ in story line and seeing how people got into the little arena My Brute game but seemed to look for something with a bit more control, I thought I'd share with the masses.

The first, and the one I enjoy the most because of the samurai and martial arts storyline is Katsuro. In that one, you start as a young samurai and work your way up. There are two rankings, one in points, another in the arena, where you can challenge samurais that are just above you. The neat thing about all three games is that when you can't access it, you can send your character to work. When you come back, you get paid and you can go on missions, challenge other samurais again, or use your hard earned gold to train your samurai. I am known as UsagiYojimbo in Katsuro

The second is Gladiatus, in which, you guessed it, you start as a lowly gladiator of Rome and work your way up the ranks. Again, you can either work to earn gold, or go on quests/missions, buy better armours and weapons, or challenge other gladiators. My gladiator is known as FrogManus.

The last one is Battleknight, in which you start as a knave and try to become a knight (which happens at level 15 from what I read). Again, you can work, duel or got on quests to earn more silver coins, then use those silver coins to buy new equipment or train your character. This one has a slight twist is the presence of karma. Your knight can develop positive or negative karma, otherwise known as being a good or a dark knight. They say there are no real advantage one side or the other but that some weapons are available only to one side or the other. I'd think that battles will be waged between knights on either side. In that game, you can also offer your services as a merceneray for hire, although I've yet to experiment with that. My name in Battleknight is Froggie Longsword.

In all three games, you can join or create a group where other players will join you. They call them guild in Katsuro and Gladiatus or order in Battleknight. Once again, I've not yet experienced with any of these groups since none of my character are higher than level 5 or 6 and I didn't know anyone to join a group, alhtough I think it could be fun to have a bunch of FOFCers in one group.

Anyways, I'm leisurely enjoying these games and thought that some of you might do too. The more FOFCers playing with me, the merrier it is.

Some of the games have more than one server/world. I linked to the servers I play in. In order:
Katsuro, server 1
Gladiatus, server 5
Battleknight, server 2

Post in here if ever sign up for one of these games.

FM

FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

You might like Monsters' Den: Book of Dread as well.

It's single player, but a very well done browser-based RPG.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

couple weeks later and I've come to really like Katsuro. While the first few days were kinda low going with little challenge since you get placed in the arena listing for people level 2-9 and can't advance in rank more than five ranks at once, I ende up challenging lots of level 1 characters that were not playing anymore but had simply started before me.

The fun kicked in when I got to level 10 and got place in the arena for levels 10-20. Now, nobody's a non player, most of everyone has decent skills and good to great weapons and armors. Good balance between saving money to train your samurai, or spend it on better armor and weapon.

I also still play Gladiatus but don't like it as much. I dropped Battleknight, couldn't get into it, and it took longer to load anyway...

FM
Old 04-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
couple weeks later and I've come to really like Katsuro. While the first few days were kinda low going with little challenge since you get placed in the arena listing for people level 2-9 and can't advance in rank more than five ranks at once, I ende up challenging lots of level 1 characters that were not playing anymore but had simply started before me.

The fun kicked in when I got to level 10 and got place in the arena for levels 10-20. Now, nobody's a non player, most of everyone has decent skills and good to great weapons and armors. Good balance between saving money to train your samurai, or spend it on better armor and weapon.

I also still play Gladiatus but don't like it as much. I dropped Battleknight, couldn't get into it, and it took longer to load anyway...

FM

I just started Katsuro today. I've been playing Gladiatus for a while but it's been slow going and I'm only level 5. I am finding the same arena issue in Gladiatus. Mostly the guys above me are hardly worth challenging.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
I just started Katsuro today. I've been playing Gladiatus for a while but it's been slow going and I'm only level 5. I am finding the same arena issue in Gladiatus. Mostly the guys above me are hardly worth challenging.

my guy in Gladiatus is only level 8 now while my guy in Katsuro just dinged level 11 and I think the reason why is that, besides me paying a tiny bit more attention to my samurai, the quest NPC you meet in Gladiatus are sometimes higher up than you, or tougher, leading to me losing many times against some, thus not getting any experience. Katsuro is a bit more rewarding with the quests to do...

Really though, the fun started when I entered the real arena.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 04-26-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
my guy in Gladiatus is only level 8 now while my guy in Katsuro just dinged level 12 and I think the reason why is that, besides me paying a tiny bit more attention to my samurai, the quest NPC you meet in Gladiatus are sometimes higher up than you, or tougher, leading to me losing many times against some, thus not getting any experience. Katsuro is a bit more rewarding with the quests to do...

Really though, the fun started when I entered the real arena.

FM

Yeah, and the losses tend to make me want to improve so I spend a lot of time working in the stables. I'm a well specced level five. The arena is no help as I rarely get anything for the battles.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Yeah, and the losses tend to make me want to improve so I spend a lot of time working in the stables. I'm a well specced level five. The arena is no help as I rarely get anything for the battles.

yeah, and I just remembered the one tiny thing that makes Katsuro more fun to me. The time between challenges in the arena is a perfect 10 minutes, or the exact same time it takes for you to finish a quest fight. Gladiatus's 15 minutes between arena fights means that if I fight in the arena, then go do a quest, when I get back I still need to wait five more minutes...

FM
Old 04-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Is Katsuro in German? Or am I missing the English option button somehow?

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Is Katsuro in German? Or am I missing the English option button somehow?

if you're talking about the little video, I think it's only available in German, I skipped it.

The server I play on:
Katsuro - Path of Honor

Definitely in English after the little video intro...

FM
Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, I saw that the video was in Deutch and panicked. I'm okay now thanks.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #11
Icy
Pro Starter

Do the fights require any strategy or anything done by you or do they depend only from your attributes?

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Do the fights require any strategy or anything done by you or do they depend only from your attributes?

only from your attributes, which are enhanced by whatever weapon/armor you are using. Each point of training you make in any of the skills costs more and more as you get higher.

FM
Old 04-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, the strategy is more into building your guy right, picking the right items from the market, etc.

Important info for anyone who might sign up: if you put in a bid on an item at the auction market and you get outbid, YOU DO NOT GET YOUR BID BACK!

Because of that, I've never used the auction market and have always gone straight to the used item market. Buying from the weaponsmith or armorsmith is also a bit too rich for my taste.

Final hint, you can keep quest items for your own use if you want. You will need to cancel the quest you are currently on, thus losing on some exp and money, but you might get a nice item to use right away. One thing to know about that item, you can't put it on the market and can only sell it to the weaponsmith or armorsmith for 1 gold.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 04-27-2009 at 08:47 AM.