Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

computer just stopped working, need some help

Playing some FM and my computer just went dead. Hadn't been playing long and, no matches and only a couple of continues to do a transfer offer and move up a day to prepare for a mach. So there wasn't a lot of number crunching going on.

The light on the on\off switch is blinking like the computer is on standby. Nothing else seems to be getting power. IE the speakers are hooked up to usb port and show no power to them, lights for num-lock on keyboard went off, usb attached optical mouse light went off.

I do keep the inside clean so it's not dust build up. I also opened the case and it nothing feels hot, not sure how it would normally feel any other day as I've never really had any reason to check.

Power supply? But then why would standby light be on?
Motherboard die?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

emachine approx 3 years old
amd 64 3500+
bfg 8500gt card
2 gig ram

Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
Rizon
Pro Starter

Have you tried plugging the computer into a different power outlet?
And what color is the blinking light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

the monitor is plugged into the same power box with battery backup and has power. the blinking light is around the power on\off button on the tower, solid blue when running, blinking blue when on standby.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's going to be something pretty basic. Sounds like a power supply issue to me maybe?

Last edited by Groundhog : 03-02-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Power supply? But then why would standby light be on?
Because there may be enough power to the PS to light the standby light but the other PC components may be drawing too much power from a failed PS. You could disconnect everything from the MB, and also the power connector to the MB. See if the power light is steady rather than blinking. Because there are less components attached there might be enough power to take it out of standby mode. Then, you can be pretty confident that it's a PS problem.

Otherwise, I am thinking motherboard.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

It may also be one of the power connectors to your MB may have loosened. Check all your connections first.
dwardzala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

A little update. I am currently typing on the computer that went down.

I pulled the graphics card and plugged in the computer and it fired right up. Moved my cable to the onboard graphics connection and now have picture. If I scroll though I get a "rolling" picture like a wave through it.

My plan is to order a new power supply from newegg and then put back in the card. This should get things back to normal, yes?

Current power supply is 300w. I plan on something larger.

Computer specs
emachine T6532

MB: MB, MS-7207 MBEM105551MS
CPU: CPU,AMD ATH64 3500 2.2 2000FSB 512K 939P
CPU Fan Type: FAN,H/S 939FAN
HDD: HDD,200GB 7200RPM
Memory: MEM, DDR-RAM 1GB (2x512MB) Dual Channel Max. 4GB
ODD1: DVDRW,MF N3LC DLYR 16X DVEM100686RW
Modem: MODEM,FAX CONX RSLG V.92 56K 56PRC CCOM
Power Supply: PS,300 WATT 100929
LAN: LAN, 10/100 100372
Multimedia Reader: MEDIA READER,9IN1 ASEM105453RD
Mouse: MOUSE, SILVER WHEEL, BLACK GLOSS 1689
Keyboard: KB,STD BLACK KB-0108 KEY - PS/2 PORT
Speaker: SPEAKER, 5375U 2.0 USB Powered
Video: Video, integrated
Chassis: Chassis,Nexgen 3 MAIN FRAME
Bezel Assembly: BEZEL,NEXGEN3LC COMPLETE FRAME ASSBY ASEM101152BZ

plus bfg 8500gt card (I added) has a fan but doesn't need to be plugged into the MB

How large can I\ should I go? Like to stay reasonable but see prices on newegg for 500w anywhere from $39.99 on up.

Any suggestions are welcome as far as size or compatibility.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Sweed : 03-02-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: copied my specs from emachine site
Old 03-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yes, ps makes sense and 500W should be perfect - but there is a chance your video card is bad. Of course replacing the ps is the cheapest way to go.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #9
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Yes, ps makes sense and 500W should be perfect - but there is a chance your video card is bad. Of course replacing the ps is the cheapest way to go.

Thanks MR. Hopefully my last questions. Are all ps equal? Are there compatibility issues or will any 500w do? I wrote down all of the info on the label on the ps, do I need to match some of this up (yeah I know the 300w max won't apply ) with the one I buy?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
Buccaneer
Head Coach

300W?????? Yikes. You have more specs than I do when I built my PC 2 years ago and even at that time, I had to go with 500W, minimum. When I build another PC later this year, it'll be 900-1000W. It is very easy to undersize the power supply.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It's been a LONG time since I built a pc and all the ones I work on at work are warranty replacements.. but I would say with today's ps's, they come with all the connectors and converters for smaller motherboard plugs that you'll need.

If you have a SATA HD, make sure you have those connectors, but I think you'll be covered on the rest.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
300W?????? Yikes. You have more specs than I do when I built my PC 2 years ago and even at that time, I had to go with 500W, minimum. When I build another PC later this year, it'll be 900-1000W. It is very easy to undersize the power supply.

Yeah, I had a Packard Bell tower years.. years.. ago and it had a 300W ps. That caught my eye too.

500W will outlast his pc.. plenty of power there. For a new pc, yes maybe 750W.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Thanks to all that helped me out here, fofc comes through again.

Before you guys stepped in to help I was browsing online for a new tower. Hey, like anyone else, I like getting a new rig but only when I've planned for it not to replace one out of the blue.

500w it is, and the nice thing is there's enough room in the case to work that even I can do it.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #14
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Just because I am cautious, eMachines don't have any proprietary components or connectors? I hate to have Sweed buy a PS just to find out that it won't work.

And before you make the purchase, do you know someone with a spare working PS? You might want to try it if you can in case the PS is not the problem.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #15
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Just because I am cautious, eMachines don't have any proprietary components or connectors? I hate to have Sweed buy a PS just to find out that it won't work.

And before you make the purchase, do you know someone with a spare working PS? You might want to try it if you can in case the PS is not the problem.

Thanks for your concern but my order is already in. At least with newegg I can always return it I guess.

I do have one concern now that you posted. Looking closely at my machine the main power connection for my current ps is 20 pin, however the MB has the 24 pin receiver. The ps I ordered is this one...
Newegg.com - Antec earthwatts EA500 500W ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
which has the 24 pin plug. I would assume since the mb has the 24 pin receiver this will be ok?

If not there is a cheap looking brand I can get with the 20 pin from NE if I have to cancel or return the one I already ordered. I'd rather keep the one I ordered as it's energy efficient and has hundreds of good reviews but at this point I'll take whatever fixes my rig
Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #16
Tasan
College Starter

A lot of PS's have a change-able motherboard connection to make it 20 or 24. At least the last 3 I've bought have had this. YMMV though, so be prepared for a return.

Oh and a second on the dead video card possibility as well. However, with the size of your old PS, you'd need to get a new one to go with a new video card anyway.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:51 AM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yep.. most have changeabel connectors...

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #18
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

New power supply arrived from newegg this afternoon. Stuck it in and now up and running with 500w of power 24 pin connector worked fine, also had the option of removing 4 pins if the MB required only 20.

Thanks to everyone that helped me out. My wife even thanks you more than I.
$79 and free shipping with two day arrival vs $500 plus for a new rig, yeah she's a happy girl
Old 03-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #19
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Good work, glad we could be of help since many of us had been there.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That's great news Sweed!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:41 AM   #21
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Well, damn looking more like a graphics card problem. Did it again twice with World Wide Soccer Manager running. Funny thing is I've never reached a 3d match it's only happened while moving through player, news screens etc.

As a test I loaded up Rome Total War and tried to do a battle. Computer went to sleep as the battle was loading. Only other thing to add is I can restart the computer if I unplug it and let it sit for about 30 seconds and plug back in. If I don't unplug it just stays locked in sleep mode.

So, I've got a new power supply and that is a good thing. Now I guess I'll try a new card to see if that does the trick. Not real expensive for me (probably get in around $50-$60 for a 9400GT) as I tend to be at the end of the tech cycle as I only need to run games like WWSM, OOTP, and the occasional 3d game like Rome.

If that doesn't do it I guess I'll go for a new tower and move my new peripherals into it. lol
Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #22
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

d'oh!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I bet the video card fixes it.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #24
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I bet the video card fixes it.

Yeah, I'm thinking it will do the trick especially after trying to run "Rome" and getting the crash while loading the 3d battle.

It isn't getting any better either. The computer went down, with only firefox running, while I was ordering a new card from newegg.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #25
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Let me know what you get as I think I'm almost at the point where I need to upgrade my video card.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #26
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Let me know what you get as I think I'm almost at the point where I need to upgrade my video card.

Well it's nothing too fancy. As I said earlier it's mostly WWSM and OOTP that I play. I went out on a limb and ordered this one even though there are no reviews..

Newegg.com - XFX PVT94GYHH2 GeForce 9400 GT 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Lifetime warranty that is transferable to the second owner. Also direct x10 so can migrate to whatever rig I get next.

There's also some good deals there where you can get a 9600gt in the low $60-$70 range if you want to deal with rebates. I was tempted but those cards are about 9 inches long. While the length isn't a problem in my case the card would overhang a lot of the MB and there a couple of things sticking up off my MB that I"m not sure the card would clear when fully seated.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks Sweed!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #28
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well it's nothing too fancy. As I said earlier it's mostly WWSM and OOTP that I play. I went out on a limb and ordered this one even though there are no reviews..

Newegg.com - XFX PVT94GYHH2 GeForce 9400 GT 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Lifetime warranty that is transferable to the second owner. Also direct x10 so can migrate to whatever rig I get next.

There's also some good deals there where you can get a 9600gt in the low $60-$70 range if you want to deal with rebates. I was tempted but those cards are about 9 inches long. While the length isn't a problem in my case the card would overhang a lot of the MB and there a couple of things sticking up off my MB that I"m not sure the card would clear when fully seated.

so you're saying your mother(board) has a fat ass?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #29
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
so you're saying your mother(board) has a fat ass?

Hey, goddamn it!....

Actually came here to post neither PS or graphics card have fixed my problem, at least you made me laugh

I just can't live with this going on so I'm going to break down for a new rig. Dell actually has a real good deal, that ends at 6:00am tomorrow, and I'm going there now to order. $499 with monitor, $539 if I upgrade to 20" widescreen. I'll also be sticking in my new graphics card and PS, so it's not all bad.

Thanks again to all that helped. I'll be back later and post the specs of my new machine
Old 03-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Damn Sweed.. wonder if your MB or a memory DIMM is bad?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #31
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Yeah MR I was also wondering if it was something with memory or MB. No computer training, only know what I learn on the fly, but in my mind I'm running out of possible causes. Anyway rather than chasing the invisible man I'm just going to move on.

I think (and maybe I'm naive) that I got a pretty good deal. Tower and 20" monitor for $559 with free 3-5 day shipping (my wife wanted the card reader adding $20). It will certainly run WWSM and OOTP. Also puts be above specs to run Empire Total War though, since I'm in no hurry, I think I'll wait on that 'til it hits the bargain bin.

Anyway here's the specs of my new machine.

Quote:
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E7400 (3MB L2 Cache, 2.80GHz, 1066 FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit edit
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft Works 9.0 edit
WARRANTY & SERVICE 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis edit
MONITOR 20 inch S2009WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel Monitor edit
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz (4 DIMM) edit
HARD DRIVE 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive edit
VIDEO CARD Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 edit
SOUND Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell Entry Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse edit
MEDIA READER Dell 19 in 1 Media Card Reader edit
MODEM No Modem Option edit
My Accessories
SPEAKERS No speaker Option edit
SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days edit
My Service
REMOTE ACCESS Dell Remote Access, free basic service edit
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Mouse Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
TBU Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
Labels Windows Vista™ Premium
ESSENTIAL ADD-ONS

Nice thing I was able to turn down the 30 day trial for McAfee and some games they want to push with the system. I hate those things. I'm hoping since it comes direct from Dell that it won't be loaded with bloatware, time will tell.

Last edited by Sweed : 03-11-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: miss type
Old 03-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #32
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
The Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 that comes with that cpu your getting is integrated in the motherboard.

So I am not sure if putting the new graphic card you bought will work with that cpu your getting. Same with the power supply.

Integrated video cards are built-in to the system motherboard and use the system’s processor (CPU) and memory to create graphics. They’re fine for applications such as word processing and email and for the Internet, but not great for gaming or other graphic-intensive applications.

While integrated video cards can process some complex graphics such as 3D images, they have to share the CPU and memory with other programs. If the CPU and memory are overloaded or busy processing other information, it can really slow down the graphics.

Is this different than previous Intel onboard graphics? There are user reviews of the system on the Dell site that comment they have added a graphics card as well as larger power supplies. I assumed you could disable the x3100 like any other onboard graphics. Am I missing something here?

They do offer an option to add a Raedon card for $60. I prefer nvidia and if I wanted the Raedon I could get the same thing at newegg for around $40. And there is a PCIe slot on the MB.

I hope you are wrong, I can't imagine Dell making a box that you couldn't update. Again maybe I'm naive
Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #33
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would have went with a Dell refurbed quad core pc and Vista x64.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #34
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is this different than previous Intel onboard graphics? There are user reviews of the system on the Dell site that comment they have added a graphics card as well as larger power supplies. I assumed you could disable the x3100 like any other onboard graphics. Am I missing something here?

They do offer an option to add a Raedon card for $60. I prefer nvidia and if I wanted the Raedon I could get the same thing at newegg for around $40. And there is a PCIe slot on the MB.

I hope you are wrong, I can't imagine Dell making a box that you couldn't update. Again maybe I'm naive

I wouldn't see a reason that you could not disable the onboard graphics card
Old 04-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #35
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My 7 year old Dell desktop pc finally bit the dust - it's the kids as I have a 2yr old Dell desktop. Ran like a champ for 7 good years... kids were upset since they play the Sims a few hours a night.

System board went bad so I hopped online and bought them a new Dell for about $475 (that's with shipping) - can't believe I paid around $1000 for that 7 year old pc. The sims should run great as they had a free memory upgrade to take it to 3GB and the only thing I upgraded was the video card.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #36
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
My 7 year old Dell desktop pc finally bit the dust - it's the kids as I have a 2yr old Dell desktop. Ran like a champ for 7 good years... kids were upset since they play the Sims a few hours a night.

System board went bad so I hopped online and bought them a new Dell for about $475 (that's with shipping) - can't believe I paid around $1000 for that 7 year old pc. The sims should run great as they had a free memory upgrade to take it to 3GB and the only thing I upgraded was the video card.

Yeah, they've had quite a few good deals on there since I bought mine. Real happy with it, I'm sure your kids will love the upgrade.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, with the Sims 3 coming out in a bit.. it should handle it quite well.

HP has been coming out with some good pc's too.. I just like working on Dell's more than HP.