Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #1751
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

So, I'm back in my old hometown for a day or two but needed a place with reliable WiFi. I decided on the nice, new library...it's quiet, it smells acceptable and there are comfortable seats.

There's also a big fat guy somewhere in here who has apparently fallen asleep. It wouldn't be so bad if here didn't have terrible sleep apnea, which is creating some of the loudest snoring I've ever heard in my life. I have no idea where he is, but the noise level is incredible. Keep in mind this library is pretty big...I'd estimate somewhere around 4 or 5 acres just here on the bottom floor.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #1752
SackAttack
Head Coach

I got a redemption voucher in my email for "Swords & Soldiers" and one of the code segments was 'KFBR.'

I thought I recalled those being the call letters for the San Francisco Giants' radio flagship. Those are actually KNBR.

It's not weird that I would've tried to get a replacement voucher if the radio callsign HAD been KFBR, is it?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #1753
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I wish that the Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego game show was available on DVD. That show ruled. Though I only saw one kid ever win the final map round. He won an all-expenses paid trip to anywhere in the U.S. and he chose "Arizona". As silly as the choice was, I thought he should have been more specific. The producers probably sent him to a Super-8 in downtown Yuma.

Barstow anyone?

Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #1754
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Rock-apella now on tour, maybe they do the theme song as an encore?

Rockapella | Rockapella - Upcoming Shows
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #1755
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
I just tossed a penalty flag at one of the Packers fans in my office. He was not amused.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #1756
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Why does Walmart demand that I get cash back in $20 increments but then give me two $10 bills?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #1757
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pisses me off too Larry. Sometimes I just want 10 bucks cash for school lunches.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #1758
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Why does Walmart demand that I get cash back in $20 increments but then give me two $10 bills?

If I had to guess, it probably has to do with minimums to avoid losing money on the transaction. It's not that they give a flip whether you get a $20, two $10s or twenty Susan B. Anthony coins.

It's that if you get less than $20 cash back, it costs them more.

Similar, perhaps, to how some places won't even accept debit or credit if the transaction total is below a certain amount.

I don't know the ins and outs of how and where the banks charge fees to the retailers, but that's my off-the-cuff guess.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #1759
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
If I had to guess, it probably has to do with minimums to avoid losing money on the transaction. It's not that they give a flip whether you get a $20, two $10s or twenty Susan B. Anthony coins.

It's that if you get less than $20 cash back, it costs them more.

Similar, perhaps, to how some places won't even accept debit or credit if the transaction total is below a certain amount.

I don't know the ins and outs of how and where the banks charge fees to the retailers, but that's my off-the-cuff guess.

Typically it is against the credit card policy to not take cards if the value is under a certain amount. Although, nothing you can do at the store other than come home and report them to the credit card company if you want to be a pain in the ass.

If you take CC, then if it is $1 or $1000 you run it. Typically the charges are by a percent anyways so, 2.5% of $1, $10, $1000.. doesn't matter. Although, if your processor has a per transaction fee (typically around .15 to .25), if you spend $1.00, then the fees could be a higher percent. (although I've seen some processors do micro-transaction rates which is a higher percent, but no transaction fee if you are doing alot of small $ purchases.

The $20 thing for ATM's is typically just for ease. You are only dealing with 1 bill type being dispensed. I've seen some stores with 'other' amounts, but probably more of just a programming thing where you have base amounts. You don't want some donkey coming in asking for $15.17 back.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 09-29-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #1760
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure debit is a swipe fee, but little to no % charge. I think the donkey thing is probably right. I used to hate taking 2.37 off of a demagnitized foodstamp card(cash benefits option) and apply that amount to a purchase and then cash for the rest.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #1761
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola

I don't go to places that have a minimum transaction amount. Pisses me off.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #1762
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmar View Post
Barstow anyone?

Classic.

**The Warrant**
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #1763
Drake
assmaster

I get an evil pleasure out of teasing our dog because he has a bobbed tail.

Does that make me a bad person?

Note: He's a lab/boxer mix. His tail had already been bobbed when we got him. It is not a procedure of which I approve. I still like to mock him.

This week I told him that the other dogs' tails grew longer because we love them more.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #1764
McSweeny
College Starter

I have 1333 Bob Dylan songs.
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #1765
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I get an evil pleasure out of teasing our dog because he has a bobbed tail.

Does that make me a bad person?

Note: He's a lab/boxer mix. His tail had already been bobbed when we got him. It is not a procedure of which I approve. I still like to mock him.

This week I told him that the other dogs' tails grew longer because we love them more.

No, it makes your dog a bad dog.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:39 AM   #1766
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Rock-apella now on tour, maybe they do the theme song as an encore?

Rockapella | Rockapella - Upcoming Shows
They do. I saw them in concert last year. It's really an amazing show, and I hope they come back to the Pittsburgh area so I can see them again.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:11 AM   #1767
SackAttack
Head Coach

They're gonna be in La Crosse in May. I'd love to see them in concert, but I don't know if I'd 400-miles-worth-of-roundtrip-driving love to see them.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:10 AM   #1768
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny View Post

That's twice as many as Satan (666) plus 1

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #1769
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmar View Post
Barstow anyone?

I'm from there
Old 09-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #1770
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

Need four more, obviously.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #1771
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

$8,350 estimate to get all of our windows replaced. (Actually $6,850 counting the tax credit). Blech.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 09-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #1772
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Hurf flurf. The day after I wish for Rockapella to return to the Pittsburgh area, my wife finds out that they're returning to the Pittsburgh area. She just bought us second row tickets for the show in early December.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #1773
Poli
FOFC Survivor

A coach in my youth football league has been kicked out as well as his two 11-year old boys that he had posing as 10-year olds.

He had their birth certificates altered.

He wasn't caught initially because the boys first year in our league. They had previously played in another area league. He was busted when a coach from the previous league just happened to see him and the boys after a game. That coach made mention of it to a few officials...and that got the ball rolling.

South County 3 has now forfeited their four victories and falls from 2nd place to 17th.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #1774
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
A coach in my youth football league has been kicked out as well as his two 11-year old boys that he had posing as 10-year olds.

He had their birth certificates altered.

He wasn't caught initially because the boys first year in our league. They had previously played in another area league. He was busted when a coach from the previous league just happened to see him and the boys after a game. That coach made mention of it to a few officials...and that got the ball rolling.

South County 3 has now forfeited their four victories and falls from 2nd place to 17th.

What a dumb ass. What does he think this is? The Little League World Series???

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #1775
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
They're gonna be in La Crosse in May. I'd love to see them in concert, but I don't know if I'd 400-miles-worth-of-roundtrip-driving love to see them.

La Crosse rocks, so you should go anyway.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #1776
JediKooter
Coordinator

I'm getting really tired of the NFLs broadcasting rules.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 10-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #1777
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I'm getting really tired of the NFLs broadcasting rules.

+1 These just don't make a whole lot of sense to me. In order to get the games I want to watch, I have to drop $350 for the Sunday ticket package. Couldn't the NFL make more than $350 by giving me the chance to watch the games I want to watch and getting the ad revenue from my attention? There are weeks where I might only watch 1 game because the broadcasting rules mean that only crap games are on. Showing the best games to more people would mean the league has more of a chance of getting more attention. This seems to be one of the few things the NCAA has got right. I can always see the best college football games on a weekend. Why the NFL doesn't allow football fans to do the same is beyond me.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #1778
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I love stupid business people. Why pay us $50K 6 months ago to do it right when you can have an employee whistle-blow on you to 50 states and pay us $250K+ for the next 6 months? Morons. And I mean that in the very best, "good for business," way.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #1779
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
+1 These just don't make a whole lot of sense to me. In order to get the games I want to watch, I have to drop $350 for the Sunday ticket package. Couldn't the NFL make more than $350 by giving me the chance to watch the games I want to watch and getting the ad revenue from my attention? There are weeks where I might only watch 1 game because the broadcasting rules mean that only crap games are on. Showing the best games to more people would mean the league has more of a chance of getting more attention. This seems to be one of the few things the NCAA has got right. I can always see the best college football games on a weekend. Why the NFL doesn't allow football fans to do the same is beyond me.

Exactly! They aren't losing money by letting me watch a game that is out of town.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #1780
Ksyrup

Who buys the NCAA plan, though? I can see almost every game I want, and even the ones I don't I can usually see streaming for free online - not to mention, there are usually so many games on at once that even if I'm missing a really good matchup I don't get locally, I typically don't care because I've got 5-7 other games to watch all at once.

I think it's great, but it seems like they are losing out on revenue.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-01-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #1781
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I almost needed that kid's help on my African Geography map quiz. That place is really hard to memorize.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #1782
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
$8,350 estimate to get all of our windows replaced. (Actually $6,850 counting the tax credit). Blech.

Duct tape is far cheaper.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #1783
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I was involved in a pretty awkward situation at work today.

So the young woman who I keep referencing in this thread (not married to her, not dating her, only eating lunch with her, etc.) and I have become very good friends. Today, I was venting to her in my cubicle about a potentially bad work situation, and she responded by giving me a hug. A long hug. No problem. Just a friendly hug, right? Well, after she hugged me, we looked up to see two women standing outside my cube looking at us. One was a manager, and the other was her new employee.

"So, um, hi. I just wanted to introduce you two to our new analyst..."

We're not going to get in trouble or anything. Even our own managers joke about how we spend a lot of time around each other, so they know we're good friends. In the long run, it won't be a big deal. It was completely awkward for all of us for a few seconds there. The new girl is probably wondering if it's normal for analysts to hug each other, though.

In my case, the answer is clearly yes.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #1784
JediKooter
Coordinator

Pumpys still got it.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #1785
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Clearly you should schedule an Outlook meeting for another hug!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #1786
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Things will probably get more awkward in about an hour when my wife wakes up from her nap.

Edit: Yes, it is related to what happened to me at work today.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 10-01-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #1787
Ksyrup

Don't hug your wife then.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #1788
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Let's see if my son's school can get a whole webcast to run without technical issues (finally got on the air last week at the start of the 3rd quarter)

They would appreciate you checking them out tonight as they take on fellow region contender George Walton in a game that could help whether the balance of power has shifted in Region 8-A.

Spartans Webcast
Old 10-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #1789
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Saw a 7 yard punt downed by the punter in high school football tonight.

That was followed up with a double reverse pass thrown by a freshman wide receiver. The pass went about 35 yards and fell incomplete in the end zone.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #1790
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I got to my part-time job today and am going thru the emails. They sent one on Monday saying "Please submit requests for holiday time off." Of course, I didn't get the email until today and already have the schedule that has me working on both Christmas Day & New Year's Day.

Guess I should cancel that vacation request from the full-time job.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #1791
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Pumpy Tudors is now Pimpy Twowhores
Old 10-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #1792
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Supposed to be the weekend I celebrated my birthday. Wife was taking me out to an awesome steakhouse, good times.

Instead, I spend it holed up at home, sick as a dog. Yay.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #1793
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Is it just me or has the forum been real slow the past few days?

Not every page, but about 80% of the time there's a pretty noticeable delay on full page load. I open another site up and it's fine.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #1794
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Blessed are you. I have like 5 versions of Idiot Wind, and love them all.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #1795
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I got to my part-time job today and am going thru the emails. They sent one on Monday saying "Please submit requests for holiday time off." Of course, I didn't get the email until today and already have the schedule that has me working on both Christmas Day & New Year's Day.

Guess I should cancel that vacation request from the full-time job.
time for a new part time job....

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #1796
molson
General Manager

I want to see the red-zone channel do a throwback episode from a random week from the 80s or 70s. Same format and everything. That would be the coolest thing ever.

Last edited by molson : 10-04-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #1797
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

Not every page, but about 80% of the time there's a pretty noticeable delay on full page load. I open another site up and it's fine.

Slow here too.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #1798
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

Thought it was just me.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #1799
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Duct tape is far cheaper.

That is about the equivalent of what we have now. Old single pane windows that are probably original to the house.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #1800
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm so tempted to get drunk before class.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote