Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Mom & Son Shocking Murder-Suicide Caught on Tape at Gun Range

http://news.aol.com/article/gun-range-murder/418055?icid=main|main|dl1|link4|http://news.aol.com/article/gun-range-murder/418055

What is happening in the world?

Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Schmidty
Coordinator

What's happening is that people have mental illnesses. I think the reason why it seems like things like this are happening more often is because of the world wide nature of modern media and the internet.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Drake
assmaster

That's a mom who took the phrase "I brought you into this world and I can take you out of it" seriously.

Somebody has got to be the example or that phrase loses its edge.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Mental Illness? Jesus what happened to being crazy? I don't really believe in hell but man reading this kind of stuff makes me wish it were real.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
Lorena
Unregistered

That picture gave me chills. I didn't have the heart to look at the other 2. Just sad, really, really sad
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
bhlloy
Coordinator

I've always wondered what happens when somebody goes crazy in a shooting range with a gun that they rented, and what kind of lawsuits would follow if it turned out that the person should never have been allowed to have the gun in the first place. Obviously not in this case seeing as the family isn't going to sue themselves, but I'm surprised it hasn't happened more often before. All you have to do is tick a few boxes "i'm sane" and you can go into a confined space with a bunch of other people with as much ammo as you like.

The cynic in me says who goes shooting with their mother that has tried to kill herself and been involuntarily sectioned, but I guess hindsight is a beautiful thing.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Imagine being the guy in the next booth. That has to mess a person up to witness something like that.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

My sister was telling me about this last night...I can't bring myself to watching the video (or seeing a picture or whatever) And like Brian said, I can only imagine what the guy is feeling like.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This may sound odd, but I'm glad that the kid at least did not see it coming. I couldn't imagine the terror of facing a gun in your mother's hands.

As for the question of 'what's wrong with this world?', I think the immediate availability of news on the internet gives people the impression that violence of this kind is increasing. It's always been there, it's just not been nearly as available to the general public as it is now.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
Flasch186
Coordinator

I'd say the degree of 'numbness' has increased as the coverage has which may actually mitigate or reduce the sense of 'consequence' or 'finality' some actions result in.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I've always wondered what happens when somebody goes crazy in a shooting range with a gun that they rented, and what kind of lawsuits would follow if it turned out that the person should never have been allowed to have the gun in the first place. Obviously not in this case seeing as the family isn't going to sue themselves, but I'm surprised it hasn't happened more often before. All you have to do is tick a few boxes "i'm sane" and you can go into a confined space with a bunch of other people with as much ammo as you like.

The one time I went to a shooting range this was running through my head the entire time. I was in the West Edmonton Mall and couldn't quite figure out what was stopping someone from terrorizing the entire mall for about $50.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
The one time I went to a shooting range this was running through my head the entire time. I was in the West Edmonton Mall and couldn't quite figure out what was stopping someone from terrorizing the entire mall for about $50.

I would think a shooting range would be the worst place to go on a violent rampage (you would be stopped pretty quickly)

There's really nothing stopping anyone from terrorizing any mall, with or without a shooting range.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #13
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I would think a shooting range would be the worst place to go on a violent rampage (you would be stopped pretty quickly)

There's really nothing stopping anyone from terrorizing any mall, with or without a shooting range.

I'm not sure on the odds of getting stopped coming out of the range and into the mall proper, but it didn't look too hard from what I could tell.

As for the second notion, the ability to simply acquire a gun and ammo on a whim is what I feel would add to the ability to terrorize the place. If there is no shooting range in the mall then I have to acquire my munitions elsewhere, which would require some planning, lots more money, etc.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #14
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

In the south, is every man issued a camouflaged baseball cap at birth?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

I don't mean to start a flame war about this subtopic, but I have sometimes wondered why more "true believers" don't do something like this more often. If you are completely convinced that those you love are just biding time until their ascent to heaven... then why not move things along by executing them and accelerating their blissful eternity?

I know most organized religions have tried to tie up the loose ends with respect to suicide, but homicide is certainly still out there as a logical extension of many of these beliefs. Seems like this woman just followed through on this, sadly.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #16
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I don't mean to start a flame war about this subtopic, but I have sometimes wondered why more "true believers" don't do something like this more often. If you are completely convinced that those you love are just biding time until their ascent to heaven... then why not move things along by executing them and accelerating their blissful eternity?

I know most organized religions have tried to tie up the loose ends with respect to suicide, but homicide is certainly still out there as a logical extension of many of these beliefs. Seems like this woman just followed through on this, sadly.

Isn't it the thought/hope of most people that they would spend eternity in heaven with their loved ones, so murdering them doesn't really get the job done (or only gets it half-done, I guess). This woman was apparently already convinced she was going to hell, so in that frame of mind, I think you're right, she acted to hasten his ascent to heaven.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #17
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I'd stay away from any woman who takes her son to a shooting range. Something just seems off about it, even without this horrible end.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

Bill Maher talked about it a little in religulous and I thought it was a bit funny (but true). He stated something to the effect about the large number of people who seem to be that life is better when you're dead, and the means to make it happen. He asked one guy point blank, if heaven is so great, why are you still here. The guy just responded when it's his time, it's his time and obviously he is still around for a reason.

Sort of showed the two different sides, but that was his ending bit. Nuclear weapons and worse in the hands of people who can't wait to get to their more glorious afterlife.