Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2003, 12:18 PM   #51
KWhit
Coordinator

Oh yeah. I'm not saying that all cases should get this kind of attention. I just question why some do and most do not.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 12:19 PM   #52
KWhit
Coordinator

dola -

But it is an amazing story. Finally some GOOD news to hear about.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 12:27 PM   #53
Bee
Pro Starter

It is interesting that a large number of the cases like this that get national attention are wealthy white children.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 12:49 PM   #54
Hawglaw
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
It is interesting that a large number of the cases like this that get national attention are wealthy white children.

I think it has much more to do with being wealthy than white. Wealth simply gives you more resources and it makes the story more compelling. If it was a wealthy black child, I have the feeling it would also get a large amount of coverage. It's a different situation, but the short disappearance of Bill Cosby's kid, before they found him dead, got a lot of news play when it happened. The fact of the matter is that if a wealthy child is kidnapped, statistics are going to dictate that he or she will be white.

It is sort of the O.J. situation...wealth just gives you more privileges.
Hawglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 01:25 PM   #55
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
I would have done just that Kysrup, and if he tried it again, I would have stabbed him in the face with a soldering iron (thanks Clem.)

But IMO? I think she's messed up.. how could she have NOT tried to get away?

I take it you're not familiar with the Stockholm Syndrome? It's a rather common occurance in cases where a person or people are held against their will for long periods of time - a sympathy for the captors can develop. I don't have my old Psych textbooks in front of me and I don't recall the details of why this occurs exactly, but it has happened quite often in hostage/abductee situations.

Of course we have no idea yet what Elizabeth Smart's experience was during her abduction, so it's certainly possible that she didn't escape simply because of fear.

As far as the publicity angle, I don't think anyone here isn't very happy to hear that she's been found and returned to her family. I can understand though why people are questioning the level of attention that was paid to her disappearence relative to other similar cases that happen all too often. Certainly with her recovery, this is a big story, but why was her case so publicized after she was abducted? I think that is a fair question to ask...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 03:48 PM   #56
Malificent
High School JV

I have a 6 week old daughter. I'm as happy as anyone but the family that Elizabeth Smart is back. But I keep wondering that if my daughter went missing if the media would be paying as much attention as they did to Elizabeth Smart before and after the recovery.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:51 PM   #57
Bee
Pro Starter

According to MSNBC she was forced to marry the guy. Something about polygamy or something. (As reported to me by a friend who was watching tv).

Edit: This might have been speculation by people on tv, my friend wasn't really paying attention to the tv and I can't find any links.

Last edited by Bee : 03-13-2003 at 03:54 PM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 05:42 PM   #58
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I remember something about her family belonging to some sketchy offshoot of the Mormons, where they sometimes kidnapped cousins and married them or something. It was back when she was taken though, so I don't remember the details.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 05:46 PM   #59
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Malificent
I have a 6 week old daughter. I'm as happy as anyone but the family that Elizabeth Smart is back. But I keep wondering that if my daughter went missing if the media would be paying as much attention as they did to Elizabeth Smart before and after the recovery.

That doesn't mean you should care less about some poor kid that was abducted and sexually abused for months. Don't let your bitterness make you care less about some innocent kid. I agree that it's not fair the way the media picks their own darling to cover while ignoring other missing kids that deserve public support but I think almost any missing kid at least gets local media coverage. No one likes to see that kind of thing.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:01 PM   #60
Malificent
High School JV

I don't care less. Just trying to make sure I care about every missing kid...
Old 01-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #61
Edward64
Head Coach

Good for her. Wish her the best.

Elizabeth Smart Engaged : People.com
Quote:
Elizabeth Smart is getting her happy ending.

Smart, 24, who was kidnapped from her home in 2002 at age 14, is engaged to be married, her father Ed Smart confirms to PEOPLE.

"We're very excited for her," Ed said Friday. "She told us at home last Saturday. I wasn't really surprised. They've been very happy together. We're just thrilled. We're looking forward to her moving on to this next stage and leading a very happy life."
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote