Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Phone recommendations

Looking to replace my personal cell phone and have looked at online reviews but they pretty much seem similar. I am not an Apple fan so that is out of the question.

Basically I have narrowed the options down to Samsung 6s, LG (forget the model number off the top of my head) or the Droid Turbo 2.

As for the Samsung, I have eliminated the Edge version of that phone because I know I would drive myself insane accidentally hitting the edge and having it register as a press of something.

I have heard very good reviews of Samsung camera and speed of the phone.

I have also heard that the LG is very fast and full of features but is the largest of the group; which is a bit of a negative.

Any first hand opinions or insight?

Thanks in advance.

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
PilotMan
Head Coach

I've got a S5 and I'm happy enough that I'll probably stick with the brand when the time comes to replace it. The pictures are fantastic at certain distances, but the zoom does wash out the pic. However, 85% of what you'll use it for it's great.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

I have a personal S4 and just got the S6 as my work phone. It's pretty awesome. That's about all I can offer.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I carry 2 S6s. (personal and work cell)

I love the phone. Absolute best cell phone Ive ever owned.

BUT.

1- It is VERY slick. Almost too slick to hold out of a case. In fact I dropped my personal one unpacking it and cracked the back slightly.

2- The front and rear glass is by far the most frail on any phone Ive ever experienced. The work version I have has lived in an ottebox its whole life, I pulled it out 2 weeks ago to learn the back was cracked at some point. I've never dropped it. (Other than sliding off lap into the floor of car INSIDE the otterbox.

3- And this is the deal killer. I am going through a major mess as we speak over my personal phone. As I mentioned when I bought it in April I dropped it and cracked the back. Very minor. Cuts across the lower corner maybe 1.5" total. Fast forward to Friday. Preparing for our trip to Phoenix and associated long flight, I download 4 games, all from major known manufacturers. Used the phone to navigate and make a few calls and all was fine. We stopped for lunch and I took the phone from the car to find the screen wouldn't wake up. Long power hold, nothing would wake it up. Decided one of the games must have been rogue or somehow downloaded wrong did a hard reset and chose to reboot in safe mode. No dice. Wont boot. Try factory wipe and reboot. No dice. Take it in to VZW and they wont even talk to me since it has a crack on the screen. Literally wont talk to me other than to offer me a new phone. Call Samsung. They tell me I voided the warranty when I dropped it (9 months ago)but a chance option may be to take it to a best buy with a Samsung kiosk and they can reload the software and that may fix it. Take it to a best buy and dude is a cell phone geek. Has 3 on him. brags about all of them, etc. Ultimately he plugs it up to his computer tries to reboot it a few times no go. Then starts telling me about rooting my phone and how that bricks it. Then shows me where it has an unlock icon on the screen, that wasn't there before he touched it. Now he says it cant be fixed because I rooted it. Which I never did and now Samsung wont talk to me, wont even fix it if I pay since it was unlocked. based on this experience I cant in good faith tell anyone to buy one and I will be replacing mine with either the LG or the Moto with the unbreakable screen.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Like the idea of the unbreakable screen as well but I have heard that it gets cloudy quickly. Though that is just from reading posts, not first hand experience.

Was leaning towards the s6 but CU's experience has made me rethink that (as it is exactly what I don't want to encounter). Granted, my current phone has lived in it's otterbox since I got it as well so that would be about the same.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
Autumn
Head Coach

I have the 6s and love it. Have it in a spigen case and it feels great.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #7
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I don't have experience with the S6, but I have used the Galaxy line (primarily the Note) for a while and have had nothing but good experiences with them.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The s7 comes out soon and fixes some problems with the s6 and adds the SD slot again. I think that's what I read anyways.

Big fan of Motorola phones and I'm sure the droid turbo 2 is great.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #9
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You may want to look at the Nexus 6P as well. I just got one and it's just about perfect.

I used to like Motorola, but then they decided that carrier tied 2014 Moto X wouldn't be getting Marshmallow. It was then I decided a) I had enough of Moto, and b) to make sure I got Google OS updates, I had to go Nexus.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #10
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
You may want to look at the Nexus 6P as well. I just got one and it's just about perfect.

I second this. I used it for about a month and I was very close to making the switch from iOS to Android because that phone is great.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #11
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Advantage to the Droid Turbo 2. Unbreakable Screen, 32 gb internal storage, can add up to 1TB, wireless charging capable, 21 megapixel camera.

Plus VZW will support this phone and will offer early upgrade offers to those that have this phone.

Note 5 from Sumsung 5 would be option B IMO.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-12-2016 at 06:30 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #12
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Take it in to VZW and they wont even talk to me since it has a crack on the screen.

It is an open enrollment period at VZW for insurance. If you stop in again ask them what your options are as far as adding. Probably dont want to mention it is already cracked.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #13
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea, I echo the sentiments on the Nexus 6P. But if the size is a concern, and you said it is a slight negative, then it may not be for you. But these phones are the closest you can get to the Apple experience as far as stock android with the fastest updates.

The ones on your list will probably be just fine, though. With the LG are you talking about the G4 or the V10? The V10 is the newer and I have heard really good things about that phone and if I was coming back to Android from my iPhone I would probably go Nexus or the V10.

Keep in mind, the rumor of the new Samsung S7 is this March sometime if that is something you would want to wait for.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #14
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The s7 comes out soon and fixes some problems with the s6 and adds the SD slot again. I think that's what I read anyways.

seriously? that's great news. I have an S4 and I'd almost resigned myself to losing that slot the next time I upgrade

EDIT:
sounds like non-replaceable battery though, another annoyance I have

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 01-12-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #15
Travis
Pro Rookie

I've got a Sony Xperia Z3 and love it. 2 day battery life is a bit of an overstatement but I got mine shortly after the NA release and I can get through a full day without any issues, usually 30-40% left at the end of the day. I had a Galaxy s3 previously and basically had it plugged in at work/home/in the car and carried a spare battery just in case.

I haven't tried any of the Z5 versions but could be worth at least checking them out.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Nexus 6p on Google Fi is a good idea if Tmo/Sprint work in your area
Old 03-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #17
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Advantage to the Droid Turbo 2. Unbreakable Screen, 32 gb internal storage, can add up to 1TB, wireless charging capable, 21 megapixel camera.

Plus VZW will support this phone and will offer early upgrade offers to those that have this phone.

Note 5 from Sumsung 5 would be option B IMO.

Moving over from the iPhone 6 to the Droid Turbo 2. We are jumping service from Sprint to VZW.

Getting a screaming deal and my bro in law who works for them is stacking some things for me.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:38 PM   #18
wustin
College Prospect

So I've been on my iphone 4s for god knows how long now.

I saw a used Nexus 6 for sale on Amazon by a big name retailer for $150 with a 30-day return policy. So I jumped on it.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I have a nexus6. It's great
Old 03-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #20
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm really happy with my S5. Love the fact I can expand memory and swap batteries.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #21
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I'm really looking forward to the S7.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #22
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Moving over from the iPhone 6 to the Droid Turbo 2. We are jumping service from Sprint to VZW.

Getting a screaming deal and my bro in law who works for them is stacking some things for me.

I love the phone...just have to get used to droid again.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:45 PM   #23
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

There's a great deal going on for the Moto X Pure Edition. $299.99 ($100 off) from various online retailers and same price from the Motorola website and you can customize it. I know it's only a 16gb (boo) but you can put up to a 128gb sd card into it (yay.)

My Oneplus One is doing just fine so it's hard for me to justify the cost in my head but the wife and I are certainly considering it. I just want something that runs fast and clean and she wants a good camera.

Anyone have any thoughts on this phone? Reviews look really solid.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #24
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Forgot to update this thread with my S6 Galaxy resolution.

A second call to samsung yielded more info. Ultimately they would not even diagnose the software issue unless they fixed the hardware (cracked screen).

I ended up sending it back to Samsung, they covered the shipping. They replaced both glass sides and the camera lens. The small crack grew when I got frustrated with this whole process. They charged me $160 for shipping, insurance and replacing all the glass. (This was cheaper than the local cell phone repair places quoted) and fixed the software issue under warranty. They returned my phone to me and it has worked flawlessly since.

All in it took a little over a week from ship it off to back in my hand. Was pleased enough with the resolution though the process to get there sucked.

Just wanted to post the final follow up in case anyone reads this later on.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #25
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
There's a great deal going on for the Moto X Pure Edition. $299.99 ($100 off) from various online retailers and same price from the Motorola website and you can customize it. I know it's only a 16gb (boo) but you can put up to a 128gb sd card into it (yay.)

My Oneplus One is doing just fine so it's hard for me to justify the cost in my head but the wife and I are certainly considering it. I just want something that runs fast and clean and she wants a good camera.

Anyone have any thoughts on this phone? Reviews look really solid.

Has nice specs. Which company do you get service through? Id guess you can probably get a similar phone cheaper through your carrier.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #26
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I love the phone...just have to get used to droid again.

Ive played around with this one and the new S7. I like the turbo 2 better. S7 just bugs me right now. Slow and laggy for a new phone. I know its early and will get some updates but man the S7 release was a disappointment.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:57 PM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd guess the Pure is pretty similar to the Nexus6 and I would highly recommend it.

Pretty sure the Pure works on any network so by just paying 300 for it you would save the cost of a device payment or could simply just go a prepaid route.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:27 AM   #28
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Ive played around with this one and the new S7. I like the turbo 2 better. S7 just bugs me right now. Slow and laggy for a new phone. I know its early and will get some updates but man the S7 release was a disappointment.

It's probably touchwiz.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:15 AM   #29
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Has nice specs. Which company do you get service through? Id guess you can probably get a similar phone cheaper through your carrier.

I am on a Tmobile family plan.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #30
Sporkimata
High School JV

I have an Lg V10 and really like it a lot.
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #31
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I just got a Turbo 2 as a replacement for an Ultra... the battery life alone is worth the upgrade. Assuming I needed to use the phone for internet or GPS at all I'd gotten used to having to be near a charger at some point during the day, and this appears to have a good enough one I will never have to worry about it as long as I plug it in when I sleep. Even if I do need a quick juice-up, the turbocharging is phenomenal.

Haven't "tested" the unbreakable screen yet, but I assume it's an upgrade on the old one, which is a godsend. And there's been no difference in responsiveness to touching the screen, which I worried about if they were doing so much more material.

Camera seems nice, the verizon bloatware is annoying, but really, if you're picking this phone it's for long battery life + less chance of breaking it if you tend to drop them like I do. (I often have my phone in a pocket or on my hip when I'm coaching kids.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #32
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That LG G5 with a slide out battery looks amazing.