Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Any San Diego residents? (Taking a vacation there in Dec.)

Me and the girlfriend are taking a long weekend trip to San Diego, neither of us have been there - are there any things we must see or do?
Right now- Legoland, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Wild Zoo place, Sea World are things we'll be doing. We'll be there 5 days... Any great museums, or other stuff to see or do? Nice beach to go?

Any great local restaurants, places have to eat, things you have to get... etc...

Also, we are staying near the airport.

Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think JeHeinze is but you may want to PM him, I don't think he visits OT to often
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:31 AM   #3
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
Me and the girlfriend are taking a long weekend trip to San Diego, neither of us have been there - are there any things we must see or do?
Right now- Legoland, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Wild Zoo place, Sea World are things we'll be doing.

All of these are good. Since you are going to the San Diego Zoo, which is part of Balboa Park, there a ton of museums there. Ruben H. Fleet Space center, Natural History museum, I think the San Diego Hall of Champions (yes oxymoron) is there too. Downtown is right there, so you can check out downtown San Diego. Also right next to downtown is the USS Midway aircraft carrier museum. These are all fairly close to the airport.

Sea World is a little further north from where you will be staying, but, not too far. The Wild Animal Park is about a 45 minute drive and Legoland is probably a 30 minute drive. Depending on which day you go, especially if it's a weekday, leave earlier in the day to get there for those two due to traffic. Trust me, you do not want to get stuck on the 15 on a Friday. If you do go to the Wild Animal Park and you are driving on the 15 north, when you see Rancho Bernardo Road, make sure you flip off my soon to be ex-wife when you pass by for me, thanks.

Quote:
We'll be there 5 days... Any great museums, or other stuff to see or do? Nice beach to go?

Go to Cabrillo National Monument and make sure to bring your camera. You'll see why when you get there. Oh, there's also an old light house there too.

There's Belmont Park which is on the beach (Mission Beach). It has an old wooden roller coaster if you're into that. So, there's entertainment and the beach all in one. Parking kind of sucks though.

Quote:
Any great local restaurants, places have to eat, things you have to get... etc...

Food:
In Old Town - Old Town Mexican Cafe (great mexican food)
El Cajon/La Mesa - D.Z. Akins (great jewish deli and diner style food. If you like pastrami sandwiches, best place to go)
Anywhere - In and Out (double double with grilled onions), Robertos/Alibertos and Los Primos (rolled tacos with cheese, sour cream and guacamole and try the carne asada fries or carne asada chips with the same toppings as the rolled tacos).
If you like sea food, there's plenty of places in San Diego, just don't know any since I can't stand sea food.

Sights: Rosecrans Street where Maverick chased Charlie on his bike in Top Gun. Downtown La Mesa where they filmed part of Little Nikita. Old San Diego court house if your a Simon and Simon fan. San Diego Sports Arena, the former home of the 94 & 95 world champion Houston Rockets. Point Loma High School which is not only my alma matter, but, also the alma matter of Don Larson the only pitcher to pitch a perfect game in the World Series.

Quote:
Also, we are staying near the airport.

Being near the airport, you will have pretty decent access to the freeways there in San Diego. Most of the freeways there run pretty much east/west and north/south on a fairly straight line, so, it's not too bad getting around without worrying about getting turned around. I know that sounds like a no brainer, but, up here in San Jose, the roads say ##East but you are clearly going north or south.

If you drive downtown, be warned that there a lot of one way streets and don't get hit by the trollies.

I'm sure others on here from San Diego can add to the list. I just can't remember more at this hour, sorry.

Hope this helps!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Lots of breweries in the area that you could visit. The Stone Brewery World Bistro is a great place for dinner in Escondido even if you're not a big beer fan.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

A lot of info there- thanks!

Yes- I have to try an in and out burger- have heard so much about them. And gotta get some mexican. I think I'm going to stay away from the sea food, being from Louisiana...we have plenty down here (and it doesn't get much better than here) and want to try other stuff.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I lived in San Diego for over 3 years, a great place with alot to do. Make sure you check out Mission Beach. Also, go check out La Jolla (if I remember correctly, there is a beach there with seals). I can't remember much about the place anymore as it has been a long time, but the zoo and Sea World are great places too that you already mentioned. If you have never seen a Navy ship up close, you might be able to check out some of the naval shipyards (32nd street is the big one), but not sure about this anymore (since 9/11 things probably changed a lot). Also, Old Town is a blast, just be careful later at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
digamma
Torchbearer

If you like tequila, try El Agave in Old Town.

La Jolla is great. Torrey Pines is just a stones throw from La Jolla. The horses won't be running in December, but Del Mar (another 5-10 miles north) is pretty cool too.

Go check out the Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado Island.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote