Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

New TV Advice Needed

Now that I'll be playing the show most of the summer, I've decided it's time to invest in a better TV. I've got a real old projection HD TV in my living room that is just outdated now.

Is there anything I should be looking for? I'm guessing LCD over plasma. I've noticed from the ads that there are huge differences in price from one to another in the same size. I'm looking at 46/47in and 1080p. Hopefully with more than two HDMI ports.

One major question is that some have 60hz and some 120hz. I don't even know what that is but is there a huge difference in quality? Seems the prices go way up when talking about 120hz.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not very informed about TVs.

RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
JediKooter
Coordinator

I've heard that plasma is soon to go the way of the dinosaur. That's about all I've heard lately, sorry, not much help other than that.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wait a few months if you can. A lot of new stuff will be out within the next month or two.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
gstelmack
Pro Starter

120 Hz is new tech, so they are dumping the 60 Hz at cheaper prices to move it out. Since most TV is 60 Hz, and video games aren't running at 120 FPS anytime soon, I think this just helps with motion blur / compensation since they can update that fast. It's probably one of those things you won't miss if you haven't seen it. My TVs are an older CRT HDTV and a newer Vizio LCD that runs 60Hz and I'm happy with both. You can save a ton of money and get a great 60 Hz TV that you'll be happy with. Especially with companies like Sony and Sharp discounting their 60 Hz models so heavily.

If you want top-of-the-line, sure get one of the newer sets, but I'd save the money.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I've heard that plasma is soon to go the way of the dinosaur. That's about all I've heard lately, sorry, not much help other than that.

Doubtful. We are getting more plasma SKus this year than ever before.

Also unlike last year there aren't many closeout deals left on 08 models. There's not much inventory on those sets.

Last edited by stevew : 03-05-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Samsung 530/550, Sony V series and Sharp 65 series are probably the best of the 60hz sets right now. All are around 1300.

The best reasonably priced 120hz models are probably the samsung 630/650, the Sharp 85 and the Sony W/Z. The sharp is probably the least expensive of those.

For size to price ratio, the 55 inch vizio XVT is like 1800 bucks. Its a 120hz set as well. Only at Sams or Costco tho.

Last edited by stevew : 03-05-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

So what you guys are saying is that 120hz is a waste of money? I don't mind dumping money into this TV as I plan to use it for the coming years. But if I won't be able to tell the difference, I'll go with 60hz.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's a cool feature but not worth breaking the bank over IMO. But any TV using it is probably going to have a better panel in contrast and color than a 60hz one as well. So there's more differences than simply refresh rate.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

We've got a 60hz 47" lcd. The only time I notice blur is on the fox soccer channel which is in standard definition. I've wondered if it would blur with a 120 hz tv?

Anything in HD has looked fabulous. Football, baseball, basketball, and hockey have shown no blur at all. While 120hz might be nice, for the time being, I'd save the money and go 60. When 120's get cheaper then I may pick one up and demote my current tv to the basement family room.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sony Bravia.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I dot see plasmas going anywhere soon.
To me they are the better tech, I love the look of a plasma.
One day LCD will get backs close, and while they brag about their 120Hz 3 year old plasmas will keep right on humming in the 360Hz range....
Burn in is a thing of the past for all intents and purposes.

If you are a sports buff, or like NFL at all try to find someone who has the TV you are looking at (especially if its an LCD) and watch a game on it....I dont care what the revolving video clip looks like, your broadcast wont be blue ray quality.
I dont know a single sports fan with a 60Hz LCD that hasnt had a tinge of buyers remorse the first NFL game they have watched.

DLPs are dieing a fast death around here in everything but HUGE models but an LED ignited DLP is a NICE option for the $$$

Last edited by CU Tiger : 03-05-2009 at 07:32 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The new plasma models we've received are alledgedly 600hz. And the upper series LCDs this year are 240hz.

Samsung has a new series of LED lcds out soon. I'm interested in seeing them but I have to think they'll be 3K for a 46 inch.

I really like Plasma more personally, but I have a Sharp LCD.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
II dont know a single sports fan with a 60Hz LCD that hasnt had a tinge of buyers remorse the first NFL game they have watched.

Really? The only football issues I've had with my el cheapo 32" Vizio have been NBC's stupid broadcast issues, where folks locally were able to prove the original broadcast stream had the motion blur in it (sigh). Fox and CBS look awesome on the LCD.

Plasma can have better contrast ratios, but are overpriced for the very small gain. And the best LCDs are right there with them on picture quality.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #14
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I guess everyone's eyes are different, but on this V

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Plasma can have better contrast ratios, but are overpriced for the very small gain. And the best LCDs are right there with them on picture quality.

You could get a 42" Panny for <$700
Old 03-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #15
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
One day LCD will get backs close, and while they brag about their 120Hz 3 year old plasmas will keep right on humming in the 360Hz range....

If you are a sports buff, or like NFL at all try to find someone who has the TV you are looking at (especially if its an LCD) and watch a game on it....I dont care what the revolving video clip looks like, your broadcast wont be blue ray quality.
I dont know a single sports fan with a 60Hz LCD that hasnt had a tinge of buyers remorse the first NFL game they have watched.

DLPs are dieing a fast death around here in everything but HUGE models but an LED ignited DLP is a NICE option for the $$$

Now you do. I paid $300 less for my Vizio 42" LCD vs. the Vizio 42" LCD that was 120hz. I haven't had a bit of remorse, and I watch a lot of sports.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I love my 60Hz just great -- no regrets. When we were in the store they had basketball on, and I couldn't see any difference between the 60 and 120.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 03-05-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #17
evil homer
n00b

i have a 42" panasonic plasma that i bought just over a year ago. the picture is stunning and sports such as football and basketball are unbelievable. when my dad bought a 46" sony LCD and compared his picture to mine while watching football, he was very disappointed in his screen. there was noticable motion blur and the picture was just not as sharp. i love my plasma and doubt i would ever buy an LCD.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Sony Bravia.

+1

Samsung would be my 2nd choice.

If it were me, I'd get a 120hz.. I have a 46" Sony LCD that I love more than my wife.. ok j/k but I bought it awhile ago and the 120hz were not out yet. I love it.. I do see some bluring every once in awhile during a fast paced sporting event.. and it's not even something that's really noticeable.. but I wish I would have waited for the 120hz model.

If you're going to invest into an HDTV, I say get 1080p, 120hz, and well, I'm a huge Sony fan when it comes to TV's. Mine has 2 HDMI, 2 Component, VGA, and a composite I believe.

If you're on a budget, Visio is a good option.

I've been asked many times what brand TV I have... oh, and I would DEFINETLY choose LCD over Plasma.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil homer View Post
i have a 42" panasonic plasma that i bought just over a year ago. the picture is stunning and sports such as football and basketball are unbelievable. when my dad bought a 46" sony LCD and compared his picture to mine while watching football, he was very disappointed in his screen. there was noticable motion blur and the picture was just not as sharp. i love my plasma and doubt i would ever buy an LCD.

Everyone has different experiences, but my dad has a 2 year old Panasonic 42" plasma TV and his just crapped out. The picture is very dark... I just hope it's a cheap problem.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #20
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Ughhh....I'm convinced on going 120hz. I watch too much sports and might as well go the best. I did see some 240hz when looking but those are ridiculously priced.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-05-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I usually ask most of these questions

How much do you want to spend. How big is your room. How many windows. How far away do you sit. How big is your current set.

You might want to think about getting a better 40 inch set with better features if you don't want to spend top dollar on a good 46.

This is basically the worst time to buy. The new stuff comes out several hundred more than the older models average street price and it takes a long time for the prices to get better. Maybe there will be some sales close to the NCAA tourney.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #22
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I can wait, I'm in no real hurry. When is the best time to buy?

I would like to spend under $2000 with $1500 being optimal. The room is a decent size and I currently have a 52 inch TV that is huge and sits on the ground (not sure what those type are called). It's perfect size for this room though. The only reason I'd go 46 is because I will probably be moving in the next year or two and don't want to get a size that would be difficult to fit in a new place. Figure 46 is a fairly safe size for a living room.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

At that price range a Samsung 650 or 750 would be a good choice. Amazon is probably going to have the best pricing. IF you have a lot of windows I will say that it does have a very shiny finish. A Sony Z series is also a good choice if you can find one.

Re: why its a bad time.

These sets are all discontinued and will be replaced with more expensive ones soon. Samsung was running very aggressive pricing around the super bowl, but not so much anymore.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #24
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

you have a rear projection

One myth Ive already seen fly in this thread is you must have 1080...Im lazy tonight but search for the chart that shows size vs distance.

For example on a 46" TV the human eye is simply not capable (Ok I used hyperbole already in the never seen one happy comment, so I will clarify less than 1 in 1,000,000 people have an eye capable) of discerning the difference between 720 and 1080 at a viewing distance of 7'....stretch it to 9' and well I'll stat making 100 to 1 wagers.

Here is the best advice I or anyone can give, IMHO.

Do your own research decide on the single model you think you want.
Then read up on optimum settings on AVS, go to a store and set that model to those settings (take the potential intentional store de tune out) and let your eye tell you if thats the one.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Everything is 1080 except for the base model plasmas these days. But yeah, you can't really tell the difference. We have the new 720 and 1080 pannys at work and there's no logical reason to be spending 700 more retail price for the 50 inch.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #26
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Everything is 1080 except for the base model plasmas these days. But yeah, you can't really tell the difference. We have the new 720 and 1080 pannys at work and there's no logical reason to be spending 700 more retail price for the 50 inch.

New models to be sure.....for my money
Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80U 42 Inch 720p Plasma HDTV - (TH42PX80U) - (037988241804)
That cant be beat.
Ive installed about 12 of these Panny's since Dec....the quality they put in the packaging surpasses what many other manufacturers put in their entire product.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Agreed. Best bang for buck by far. I can't see that being available too much longer as that model is discontinued.

The new replacement for that is 899 for now but I'm sure it will drop quickly. The older one sold real well at 700ish.

Last edited by stevew : 03-05-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

All I can say is I 1080p movie is spectacular!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #29
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Bumpity bump.

Just moved into a new house and am in the market for a new TV. The room is a basement room, no windows. The couch is roughly 10' away from the TV stand against the wall. I'll mainly be using the TV as a monitor for my video-gaming and an upcoming purchase of a Blu-Ray player, but I may break down and get cable to feed my sports jones.

Have the new models come out already, or is this still an in-between time that is sub-optimal timing for buying?

Given that the room has no windows, does that mitigate any dark level advantages plasma has over LCD?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #30
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Update on my situation. I held out and am actually in line to win a 46" Sony Bravia TV in a contest held by a sponsor we promote.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #31
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I absolutely love my 42" Samsung LCD - really can't imagine having a better TV. Great picture, easy menus, and it sounds great with my Sony soundbar attached.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Update on my situation. I held out and am actually in line to win a 46" Sony Bravia TV in a contest held by a sponsor we promote.

I love mine!
Old 04-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #33
Swaggs
Coordinator

I am also a fan of Samsung. We got a 37' last Summer (my first HD television) for the basement and just got a 32" for our living room last month. Very pleased with both (although I am not a hard core console gamer -- I just have a Wii that I only play once every week or two).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #34
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Bumpity bump.

Just moved into a new house and am in the market for a new TV. The room is a basement room, no windows. The couch is roughly 10' away from the TV stand against the wall. I'll mainly be using the TV as a monitor for my video-gaming and an upcoming purchase of a Blu-Ray player, but I may break down and get cable to feed my sports jones.

Have the new models come out already, or is this still an in-between time that is sub-optimal timing for buying?

Given that the room has no windows, does that mitigate any dark level advantages plasma has over LCD?

The new models are out right now. Although they are a lot more expensive right now than last years models were towards the end. I'd assume you'd want a 120hz lcd. Right now the Sony V5100(midline sony with 120hz) is retail 1499/1799/2299 for 40/46/52.

Samsung B650 120hz LCD is 1699/2099 for 40/46. that's retail, I think you can find a better price than that.

I think you could go either way on the Plasma vs LCD, and you're gonna be happy.

Plasma's going to be quite a bit cheaper though. A 42/46/50" S1 1080p panasonic is 1099/1499/1599. Plus there's a bit of a stand rebate if you need one of those(200 bucks off)

Also there's some new LED backlit samsung TV's out new for this year. They're about 3 grand for the 46", but I know right now we're selling them for 600 off this week. Nice sets, very very thin. Off angle is a bit mediocre though IMO. Retails for the 6000 series(no media content) are 40/46/55 2599/2799/3699.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #35
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Considering that generally, plasmas are cheaper than LCDs and produce a better picture (deeper blacks and all), I'd lean towards getting one of those first.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #36
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i want to be the last middle class american family without an HD tv.

how many of us are left?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #37
Travis
Pro Rookie

Seems like a bad time to go for a 120 when the 240s are just starting (at least around here) to break into the market. Beautiful time to start getting the 60s as their prices go down, but I'm personally trying to hold off until the fall to see how much of a price affect the 240's end up having on the market.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #38
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I think I'm leaning towards a plasma due to the viewing angle issue. C/NET likes the Panasonics - can you fill me in on the differences between the S1 models and the G10 models?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #39
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We only carry the S1 so I'm not going to be a ton of help on the G. I think its 200 more. Just from a quick site glance the one with the tru2way looked like the one that was worth the extra cash. I think the G supports video from an SD card.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #40
stevew
Hall Of Famer

panasonic S1 versus G10 - AVS Forum
Old 04-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #41
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Exactly what he said. I mean this is exactly how I feel about plasma v LCD v DLP.

I'd add that for sub 50" sets, 720 is equivalent to 1080. If you look at serious reviewers, most admit that if you covered the model number, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference until you get to large sets.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #42
Galaril
Pro Starter

I know this is a big question but as far as the basic pros and cons on LCD vs Plasma they are?
Plasma is better for bright rooms with alot of sunlight and LCD are the opposite. And plasmas are btter for veiwing at angles. Wea re in the market for a 46inch HDTV our first this TV will be going in a large room back about 7-8 feet I guess with a lot of natural sunlight almost everyday. The primary use of it will be to watch sports and whatever my wife watches Would like to stay below $1500. Any helpf from some of you experts here would be appreciated.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #43
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
i want to be the last middle class american family without an HD tv.

how many of us are left?

Raises hand............Me too not yet but am planning it very soon.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #44
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Galaril, plasmas also have better black levels and are better at handling moving pictures.

I'd recommend a Panny plasma. 46'' should be less than $1500 (and probably closer to $1000).
Old 04-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #45
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I would hope all of you guys are ignoring the extended warranty pitches people are feeding you. IF you can't live without extra coverage, look into a Mack warranty.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #46
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Also, in general I have to say I was very happy with my TV purchasing experience from Amazon - do your research, then price your model there. The prices fluctuate a good bit, especially on TVs that have been out a while, but I ended up with a really good price by waiting a month or so and just checking the price daily. Plus I got free shipping. There are also great reviews on the site, many of which go into great detail about the TVs, so it can be helpful in comparison shopping.

Last edited by Peregrine : 04-20-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:34 AM   #47
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Also, in general I have to say I was very happy with my TV purchasing experience from Amazon - do your research, then price your model there. The prices fluctuate a good bit, especially on TVs that have been out a while, but I ended up with a really good price by waiting a month or so and just checking the price daily. Plus I got free shipping. There are also great reviews on the site, many of which go into great detail about the TVs, so it can be helpful in comparison shopping.

I have also heard amazon is really good too.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:40 AM   #48
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We might be having a bit of a friends and family sale at Sears on the 3rd. Probably only 5 percent extra off on TV's though, but if something comes out as a good deal I'll let you know. If I had to guess, there will be a 200 dollar price drop on all panasonic plasmas next month. Right now there's a 200 dollar instant rebate on installation, a wall mount, or a stand. Generally they just pass that savings along in sale prices and lowered retail after these things are over.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #49
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I know this is a big question but as far as the basic pros and cons on LCD vs Plasma they are?
Plasma is better for bright rooms with alot of sunlight and LCD are the opposite. And plasmas are btter for veiwing at angles. ...

I think you've got Plasma and LCD swapped with regard to in room lighting. The plasma screen is glass, and even with the glare reducing materials they use, you will see some glare if there is a lot of light in the room. From some angles...laying down on the couch or floor, you see our chandelier prominently in our plasma screen. It can be distracting.

I agree with your take on plasma and viewing angles.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #50
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If you're going to go Amazon please also have a look at abt.com. Abt is a company local to me (north Chicago suburbs) and is a really terrific store with (usually) great prices and really great service. If you live in the Chicago area, you definitely need to check it out in person.

Since we bought our house in 2004 we've bought the following there: HDTV, washer, dryer, vacuum, stove, microwave.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote