Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Study predicts death of TiVo by 2010

http://www.boston.com/business/ticke...t_tivo_is.html

Foz says you can have my Tivo when you pry it from my cold dead hands..

The stand-alone digital video recorder will cease to exist by 2010, and its dissolution will result in the end of TiVo as we know it, according to a new report.

The Yankee Group, a Boston research and consulting firm focused on global connectivity, today issued a report titled "Technology on Fast Forward: 2006 to 2011 US DVR Forecast."

According to the report, TiVo will struggle to stay relevant in the market; as TiVo begins to shed customers during the forecast period, service providers such as cable TV and satellite TV companies will continue to capitalize on the emerging technology to incrementally sell TiVo-like services to consumers.

"TiVo has incredible brand value that resonates with customers, and it will be an asset to any service provider, increasing the likelihood of an acquisition," Joshua Martin, a consumer analyst at Yankee Group, said in a statement.
(By Chris Reidy, Globe staff)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 01-22-2007 at 01:36 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Accept no substitute for Tivo.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Accept no substitute for Tivo.

What he said.

Two things though.

1) Any idea if this takes into consideration that Comcast is using the TiVO software?
2) Can you give the link to the whole article?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This is selfish of me, but I'd love for DirecTV to acquire TIVO and use their technology in all of their DVR's.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
What he said.

Two things though.

1) Any idea if this takes into consideration that Comcast is using the TiVO software?
2) Can you give the link to the whole article?

1) Probably he's saying that as folks sell Tivo like services, it'll become less popular

2) Edited into the first post
Old 01-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
1) Probably he's saying that as folks sell Tivo like services, it'll become less popular

2) Edited into the first post

On #1...

I understand that, but what I'm saying is TiVO is helpign their business modles by selling their technology to at least one cable provider (Comcast) and I could see them doing it to more down the road... this to me means that Cable DVR's increasing in popularity doesn't necessarily hurt TiVO as much.

Checking out the link now.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 01-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola: Wow, that was the whole article. What a weak article.

Quote:
Old 01-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I can see this happening. Convergence is a trend happening more and more. If Microsoft makes a big storage device for the 360 (or future) console, and puts TiVO/Media Center functionality into it that works as well or better than current DVRs, people would probably go for the all-in-one device.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm an enthusiastic TiVo user, but I also see this as a very distinct possibility.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure it is actually saying it'll be the death of TiVO. Rather, it'll be the death of TiVo in current form. We'll see TiVo integrated into cable boxs as DVRs are today.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #11
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I'm an enthusiastic TiVo user, but I also see this as a very distinct possibility.

Agreed. My hope is that TiVo makes a push for being the software of choice for Cable/Satellite providers and finds a way to make it so that it makes sense for everyone. I think the problem right now is that the TiVO hardware (especially for HD) is quite expensive whereas for Cable/Satellite it's free. This is the big obstacle, so if TiVO could find a way to make their hardware cheap/free it would put them back in the front of the marketplace. The way to do that IMO is to build more deals like what they have with Comcast.

Quote:
Old 01-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'm not sure it is actually saying it'll be the death of TiVO. Rather, it'll be the death of TiVo in current form. We'll see TiVo integrated into cable boxs as DVRs are today.

I think it's saying TiVO has a company won't exist actually.

Quote:
Old 01-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #13
KWhit
Coordinator

I'm amazed that Tivo boxes are still selling right now. I got a Tivo for Christmas a couple of years ago and immediately after hooking it up, heard about the new Comcast 2 tuner DVR (at the time, the Tivo didn't have 2 tuners). I tried the Tivo for a week or two, then tried out the Comcast one. I ended up preferring the Comcast DVR (and it was a lot cheaper). Bye bye Tivo.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #14
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I'm amazed that Tivo boxes are still selling right now. I got a Tivo for Christmas a couple of years ago and immediately after hooking it up, heard about the new Comcast 2 tuner DVR (at the time, the Tivo didn't have 2 tuners). I tried the Tivo for a week or two, then tried out the Comcast one. I ended up preferring the Comcast DVR (and it was a lot cheaper). Bye bye Tivo.

Well, fwiw new Comcast Boxes will be TiVo.

I think we've had this discussion before, but, every review I have looked at has consistently said that the TiVO software/hardware is far superior to all other DVR's out there. I will say upfront that I have no personal experience with any of the other systems, just TiVO. But that is what the reviews I have read have said consistently - except for a couple of people (I think you're one) here saying that they like the Comcast box better. Problem of course being if Comcast is the only one that is as good as the TiVO, that does nothing for those of us that have Cox, Adelphia, DishNetwork, DirecTV, etc, etc.

Quote:
Old 01-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I would love nothing more than to have TiVO emerge as the general standard for DVR's much like MS Windows is for the PC.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think it's saying TiVO has a company won't exist actually.

Well it says TiVo won't exist as we know it. That means something a bit different. I can see TiVo becoming like Motorola, producing cable boxes with DVRs for cable companies, but not selling stand alones anymore.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #17
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well it says TiVo won't exist as we know it. That means something a bit different. I can see TiVo becoming like Motorola, producing cable boxes with DVRs for cable companies, but not selling stand alones anymore.

I read it differently, but I can see this interpretation.

I think he's saying it won't exist as we know it, and likely will be absorbed by another company.

Quote:
Old 01-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think we've had this discussion before, but, every review I have looked at has consistently said that the TiVO software/hardware is far superior to all other DVR's out there. I will say upfront that I have no personal experience with any of the other systems, just TiVO. But that is what the reviews I have read have said consistently - except for a couple of people (I think you're one) here saying that they like the Comcast box better. Problem of course being if Comcast is the only one that is as good as the TiVO, that does nothing for those of us that have Cox, Adelphia, DishNetwork, DirecTV, etc, etc.

Well, the one thing I like about the Comcast DVR is that it records HDTV for the same $10/mo price. The TiVo box that records HDTV is $700 up front!!
Old 01-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #19
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

Yeah, and it was likely a timing thing - when I got the Comcast box, they had just rolled out the 2 tuner model and Tivo didn't have one out yet. That all by itself made a world of difference.

But while the software may be better in the Tivo, I just don't see how they can continue to sell the equipment like they do when most cable companies are offering the boxes for free. And (at least last time I checked), the monthly service fee is cheaper through the cable company than through Tivo.

I know that since I got my DVR, Tivo has rolled out some new features but the core functionality is available for a much lower cost.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #20
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Bump. TiVo is still around!

I just bought one. Hope I didn't make a mistake. Comcasts dvr was just so bad I had to.

Anybody have any thoughts if its worth it at this point to Buy a lifetime subscription ? On one hand it would be cheaper in the long run, but if they are bought out or the box dies then that's a lot of wasted money.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #21
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Honestly to me it's dead, I haven't thought of Tivo in years. It's tech may still be great, but for me they just priced themselves out of contention. There are just so many competitors these days that are both cheaper and less restrictive with what you can do with them.

I'm not about to champion people against them, but when I consider a DVR solution they don't enter the discussion(neither does Comcast ). Back when I bought my series 2, and I was late to the game, they were the discussion.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-09-2010 at 08:37 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't DVR anymore. It's not worth 120/Year to me. There is more than enough stuff either On Demand or on Instant Watch.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #23
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'm thinking of making the plunge to VHS.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #24
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'm honestly surprised its still around, heck I barely watch television in the 'traditional' sense any more - all the shows I watch are downloaded from iTunes or the 360 with the exception of a few shows I watch with my daughter (mainly the Colbert report).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #25
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
Bump. TiVo is still around!

I just bought one. Hope I didn't make a mistake. Comcasts dvr was just so bad I had to.

Anybody have any thoughts if its worth it at this point to Buy a lifetime subscription ? On one hand it would be cheaper in the long run, but if they are bought out or the box dies then that's a lot of wasted money.

Keep in mind that the lifetime subscription, I believe, is just for the specific type that you got. If you upgrade, I don't think your lifetime subscription upgrades with it. That's why I just do the monthly subscription.

I still have mine (Series2) and I still like it enough to keep using.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #26
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Keep in mind that the lifetime subscription, I believe, is just for the specific type that you got. If you upgrade, I don't think your lifetime subscription upgrades with it. That's why I just do the monthly subscription.

I still have mine (Series2) and I still like it enough to keep using.

Thank you, I am glad someone is still using it! Thank you for giving me slight hope that I am not investing in a dying technology.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone have a TIVO premiere?
Old 12-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #28
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I do... Tivo Premiere XL
Old 12-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #29
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'd buy another Tivo if it wasn't for the subscription. Going to find another geekier solution of some sort.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #30
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

honestly, it's only a little more then a HD box ($120 a year for the HD Box from verizon, $129 for the tivo subscription) Now that the M-cards are out, that added expense is lessened, and being able to watch/record two programs at one time is vastly worth it.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I do... Tivo Premiere XL

TIVO has some good deals going on. Premeire is 20/month for a 2 year commitment and you get the box. That's basically what I'd pay for a Cable DVR box, which are about 17/month.

Last edited by stevew : 12-24-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:35 AM   #32
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

is there not Computer software out there that one can just build a multi media pc to do what Tivo does if not better?
Old 12-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #35
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
is there not Computer software out there that one can just build a multi media pc to do what Tivo does if not better?

Also curious about this. I'm guessing that there isn't a solution near the same level. Plus unless they're making a cable card compatable TV Tuner, you're going to be losing a ton of HD content.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #36
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Turn Your PC into an HD DVR : Page 1 of 2 : E-Gear
Old 12-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #37
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Fios DVR does the two shows at once thing. Has for a year or so now. Tivo is Beta, DVR is VHS.

Bullpucky. Fios DVR is awful and has much less storage, I know, I had one.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #39
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post

I've built 3 DVR boxes, 1 for myself, 1 for my dad, and 1 for my brother in law. They all run GBPVRx2, which has a new version, NPVR, just out. I still use the older version, GBPVRx2, because I have everything running smoothly on it. It does take a little tweaking to get everything just right, but I love my PVR box.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #40
flounder
High School Varsity

With my Tivo, I can record shows then transfer them to my Windows home server. I can then transfer them back later or stream them from my server. I can also rip DVDs to my server and transfer or stream them to my Tivo. As soon as a cable company DVR can do all that I'll get one, but I'm not holding my breath.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #41
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

Thanks for this, wasn't familiar with beyond TV. I have used Windows Media Center, which was much better than I expected but still wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #42
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
TIVO has some good deals going on. Premeire is 20/month for a 2 year commitment and you get the box. That's basically what I'd pay for a Cable DVR box, which are about 17/month.

But $20/mo for a 2 year commitment is more than buying the box and paying the regular subscription fee for 2 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Why use TiVo? The dvr does all of that.

Because it's better. 90% of people like you and HiFi have not used a TiVo. I don't know if either of you have, but generally it is a far superior product to the Cable DVR. In my case, I don't have cable, satelite, etc. I just use OTA signals, so in addition I have to buy a box that is not tied to a provider.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #43
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'd buy a Tivo 10/10 times over a cable DVR. Easy choice between those two. Cable DVR is awful. I just won't pay for a subscription and want to be able to record in an open format.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-27-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #44
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I'd buy a Tivo 10/10 times over a cable DVR. Easy choice between those two. Cable DVR is awful. I just won't pay for a subscription and want to be able to record in an open format.

Yeah. The problem I see is that once you've built a (mostly) stable box you've spent way more than a $200 tivo in most cases. The openness is nice -- I occasionally fantasize about being able to customize the tivo (to have a fantasy score ticker for instance), but, its just been so good to me that I don't bother looking at anything else. It's also just such a simple setup.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #45
Logan
Head Coach

Clearly I don't get it...what's so much better about a Tivo than a cable DVR?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #46
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Interface, options, settings, experience, functionality.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #47
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Interface, options, settings, experience, functionality.

reliability

Old 12-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #48
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've never even thought about TiVo, and I'm having a hard time imagining what it does that would be worth so much extra money a month. Is this just a rant against cable DVRs, because I've never really had much problem with my DTV DVR.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #49
molson
General Manager

I hated that my TIVO wouldn't tell me what % of my hard drive I was using. And that I couldn't watch TV and go through the TIVO lists/schedules at the same time.

My DirecTV DVR does both of those things, and its otherwise just as good, so it was definitely a step up.

Last edited by molson : 12-27-2010 at 10:37 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #50
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah, I'm definitely going to need some specifics. What is it about the interface that is better? What are some of the options that make it better? Which functions does it have that make it better? In what ways is it more reliable?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote