Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2003, 01:51 PM   #1
rexalllsc
Banned

Exclamation So I got CM4...

WOW. I played about 5 games last night, with 2D match highlighting the "Key Plays"...pretty cool.

This game is really, really good. I feel so overwhelmed due to the depth of the game (compared to CM3)...it's insane.

Man...this is gonna be fun.

rexalllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 02:02 PM   #2
SegRat
High School Varsity

If it wasnt for my job, I dont think I could stop playing this right now.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:02 PM   #3
rexalllsc
Banned

Seriously...I'm bummed that I'll have virtually no time to play for a few days.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:28 PM   #4
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I've stopped playing for the moment, at least until EP3 comes out. Its no biggie though, I'm working 70 hrs/week at the moment for the next couple weeks so I would have time to play much anyways.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 07:30 PM   #5
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I'm really waiting for the mls issues to be fixed.. and ep3 to come out.. I'm biding my time with amusing games such as Postal 2 hehe..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 07:36 PM   #6
Calis
College Starter

As ashamed as I am to admit it, I haven't touched the game in about 2 weeks. I think I'll get rolling when EP3 comes out as well, as for now...it just doesn't grab me like it usually does.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 07:44 PM   #7
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Calis
As ashamed as I am to admit it, I haven't touched the game in about 2 weeks. I think I'll get rolling when EP3 comes out as well, as for now...it just doesn't grab me like it usually does.

Is there any thing specific that comes to mind? Or is it just the bug and impending patch?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 07:44 PM   #8
rexalllsc
Banned

What's wrong w/ ep2? I haven't had probs. yet, but I haven't played it enough to notice...do tell...
Old 04-18-2003, 07:45 PM   #9
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I just want a team that is light on personel, and heavy on the funds...I've played Ajax before...but there is so much depth...I'd rather start out with a low level team with some cash...but I have yet to find one that I enjoy.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 07:49 PM   #10
Calis
College Starter

No no, nothing really wrong game breaking for it. It just doesn't "feel" right to me. I'm not saying it's bad now, not by any means, I just don't know. I didn't mean to come across as I've ran into crashes or something, it's very stable as far as I can tell.

The scoring thing is really bugging me though, it basically killed the joy out of the first career I was running with it. There's just a lot of little things with the match engine that are killing the immersion for me, and I imagine they'll be sorted out in EP3.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 07:57 PM   #11
rexalllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwikshot
I just want a team that is light on personel, and heavy on the funds...I've played Ajax before...but there is so much depth...I'd rather start out with a low level team with some cash...but I have yet to find one that I enjoy.

I'm pretty sure you can adjust funds through the init.cfg file...no/
Old 04-18-2003, 08:02 PM   #12
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I think Hull in English league has some cash for being a low league team...

Rushden and Diamonds was mucho mega bucks conf team in last cm.. its money source dried up when it was promoted to 3rd division
Old 04-18-2003, 10:06 PM   #13
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Calis
No no, nothing really wrong game breaking for it. It just doesn't "feel" right to me. I'm not saying it's bad now, not by any means, I just don't know. I didn't mean to come across as I've ran into crashes or something, it's very stable as far as I can tell.

Hrm. This is worse to me than if it had been the bugs. At least I expect those to be fixed.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:22 PM   #14
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

What about MLS?
Old 04-19-2003, 03:21 AM   #15
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Mls Draft does not work.. and the discovery player stuff counts coach's/scouts against your 2 discovery cap.. which really blows
Old 04-19-2003, 07:13 AM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

There is also a widely-discussed bias toward forwards in the game, which does not overtly appear on the list of "fixes" for either EP2 or EP3. I have seen several people post here that the game is very seriously slanted toward that position - that good forwards score too frequently, and play way too large a role in a team's success.

I've basically decided that I don't want to get started until some basic game engine issues like this get resolved.

And, I still cannot believe that they decided to *delete* the ability to print form the game. Not to go Malleus Dei or anything, but I just have trouble understanding that decision. It's a pretty big one to me. (For my money, it also makes the various CM4 dyansty threads pretty unreadable)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 07:43 AM   #17
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
There is also a widely-discussed bias toward forwards in the game, which does not overtly appear on the list of "fixes" for either EP2 or EP3. I have seen several people post here that the game is very seriously slanted toward that position - that good forwards score too frequently, and play way too large a role in a team's success.

I've basically decided that I don't want to get started until some basic game engine issues like this get resolved.

And, I still cannot believe that they decided to *delete* the ability to print form the game. Not to go Malleus Dei or anything, but I just have trouble understanding that decision. It's a pretty big one to me. (For my money, it also makes the various CM4 dyansty threads pretty unreadable)

The forward-scoring issue was a problem for me. In the twenty or so games I had played with my Ipswich career, my forwards scored about 90-of my goals. I could see that possibly happening over a twenty game stretch, but to me the problem was, nobody else was even getting too many scoring chances. Occasionally a winger would pop off a shot, but for the most part the forwards had it every time. That, and the fact that I could not lose, are two things that are keeping me from playing right now. I just didn't feel as into the game as I have. But I feel everything will be sorted out in time, probably fairly soon. I had a fun time with it, but it just doesn't hold my attention yet like 3 did.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:53 AM   #18
Havok
College Starter

i havent played 2 weeks myself The Forwards issue really bother's me. My 2 forwards account for 90% of my goals. Its kinda lame, and Pace is kinda bothering me. Its seems to be TO important. A guy with 20 pace is a stud reguardless of his other skills.

The transfer market is wierd to. You cant seem to sell anyone... even if they're awsome. And buying players aint much better.

The Manual sucks hard... im new to the CM series so i dont know whats going on half the time and the manual is no help at all. It just kinda throws you into the game and hopes you figure it out.

My last gripe is injury's. Some people like the amount of injury's there are but i dont. There should be a Injury setting.... like Low/Medium/High. In my opinion the best sports sim's are the ones that are very customizeable(sp?) like OOTP.

Im just overall kinda disappointed. Hopefully after EP3 ill get back into it. But for now im not happy

P.S. i would never post this on the SI website in fear of one of those crazy Fanboys coming to my house and killing my dog or something Those people are nutz overthere.

Last edited by Havok : 04-19-2003 at 07:56 AM.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 08:01 AM   #19
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
The Manual sucks hard... im new to the CM series so i dont know whats going on half the time and the manual is no help at all.

Havok, have you downloaded Marc's hints and tips guide? It should help you get a better understanding (training may still be a bit of an unknown).

And like everyone else, I've pretty much shelved it (other than tinkering with new leagues) until EP3. The only thing that worries me is that I didn't see striker scoring in the long EP3 list. Has anyone seen any official confirmation on this issue?
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 08:28 AM   #20
Havok
College Starter

no i havent.... is it at the SI website?
Old 04-19-2003, 08:46 AM   #21
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
no i havent.... is it at the SI website?

Yes, sorry I don't have a direct link, but you can find it on the mainpage at sigames.com
Old 04-19-2003, 09:03 AM   #22
BucDawg40
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by moriarty
The only thing that worries me is that I didn't see striker scoring in the long EP3 list. Has anyone seen any official confirmation on this issue?

I'm Newcastle playing a 3-4-1-2 and I have figured out how to get my midfielders to score.

One SC holds up ball (Shearer)
One SC on gung ho forward runs (Bellamy, Chopra, Cort, Lua Lua)
AMC with a free role, long shots, through balls, run with ball, gung ho (Joe Cole!)
Both Wingers making forward runs, crossing from deep, run with ball, attacking or gung ho (Dyer, Viana)
One MC on defensive mentality (Speed)
One MC on attacking mentality making forward runs and long shots (Gamst Pedersen)
Defenders don't matter

Dyer, Viana, Cole, and Gamst Pedersen are knocking in their fair share, believe me. I usually have at least one goal per game by a non-SC.

I am playing the game a lot, but I will not start my "real" career until at least EP 3. This current career is for testing purposes.

Last edited by BucDawg40 : 04-19-2003 at 09:04 AM.
BucDawg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 09:05 AM   #23
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

This is pretty much the exact reason I stopped with my initial dynasty and plan on starting a new one hopefully with EP3 but we'll see when it comes out. The forward scoring issue was starting to get a little disturbing and I just wasn't happy with how I was presenting data.

I think in the long run a dynasty can be successful without the print function, as over a number of seasons the readers get used to hearing all the names and can start to get immersed with the writer's team, but having all the printouts makes it much, much easier.

I think even if we do get the print function back I'm going to continue using the ability to attach screenshots here, perhaps a SS of a the attributes of new signings in addition to standings and that kind of thing. I think *WITH* the print function that could be a very very nice addition to a dynasty, but without it.... it just doesn't cut it alone. The print functinoality though, makes a dynasty 100x easier to read and get into.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 09:56 AM   #24
moriarty
College Starter

I think Marc said that he was looking at a 'screen dump' feature. That would be great for dynasties ... since I think you could only print stats and lineups from the previous versions (can't quite recall). Love to see that make the EP3 list, but I'm not so sure.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:38 AM   #25
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I've only completed one season so far. You can definitely tell that the game is not "tight." Lots of little bugs and the game engine has some problems (esp. the forward bug. I only had two mid-fielders score more than 1 goal, and that was with three pushed forward). I will say that the players seem to matter more than the formation/tactics it seems at first blush, which is the way it should be IMHO.

I played in the A-league (which the game annoyingly calls the "American Second Division." They get other leagues names right, why not ours?), with the Silverbacks. It was fun finally getting to play with a local club. It is pretty easy to win the division (really easy to get good talent on loan, and there are no loan limits, country limits, etc. for the A-league in the game). I think I'm going to stop that career, though, and start another (maybe the USA national team?) I was going to try to make it to the MLS, but with the MLS bugs I'm not going to bother till they get it fixed.

Yet, even with all the little niggling problems, I love this game. When you think this a first generation of a completely new version, it really is good.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 10:43 AM   #26
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by rexalllsc
I'm pretty sure you can adjust funds through the init.cfg file...no/

Not until EP3...and I'm not asking for millions...it just seemed everyteam I tried was broke...I just want like 1 to 2 million to move some players...

I'll look into Hull, thanks.

Last edited by Qwikshot : 04-19-2003 at 10:43 AM.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 11:43 AM   #27
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I haven't played it since i pretty much got it. I really want to be in the MLS, but since the league seems to have the issues, I am jsut going to hold off until EP3 comes out.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 11:57 AM   #28
korme
Go Reds

whats EP3?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 12:27 PM   #29
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Enhancement Pack 3. Like a patch.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 02:19 PM   #30
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

I agree 1 billion percent. I was concerned when I didn't see the option for printing in both of the demos and hoped against hope that it would sneak into the final version. I asked about it here and over at the SI forums but the SI staff were swamped.

As for the forwards issue, I believe it is one. In my experience with previous versions, a good midfielder *should* score 5-7 goals over a season and wingers chip in a few now and then. Right now, the only way they score for me is on set pieces or a breakaway and those are very rare occasions, too rare in my opinion. I have watched roughly 20 full games while highlighting the rest and that I believe is a completely legitmate concern.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:36 PM   #31
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Checking out the CM forums I came across a very thorough thread detailing how numerous clubs, 10-15 years into the game, are over 1 BILLION pounds in debt. Ouch.
Old 04-19-2003, 04:15 PM   #32
moriarty
College Starter

For those of you reading along and keeping track of the "scoring" issues and the "screen print issues", Marc responded to both in this thread.

On printing he said (edited quote below)
Quote:
This (as I've mentioned elsewhere) was left out unfortunately because of time constraints with creating the game

I will obviously be looking to restore any missing features from CM3 into CM4 in future updates.

PS. I'm hoping to get a 'dump screen to file' feature into one of the CM4 patches which should help people who are looking into printing out details of their squad etc.

On scoring he said:
Quote:
"scoring issues"
Fingers crossed, I think we've got that sorted for patch #3 - however until we've finished testing I'd hesitate to say for sure ...
Old 04-19-2003, 05:01 PM   #33
Karim
College Starter

I've been playing with Telford. 12 games in, we're in 15th, and everyone in the organization is ecstatic because they only want to prevent relegation.

I have $0 transfer funds, and lose about $20k a month, which means I'll be in the red come season's end unless I can see a player. I only have 17 part-time players but I've transfer listed one of my strikers. Although he doesn't want to leave, and I'll have a depth problem eventually, I need the cash. Unfortunately, no takers. His automic value is $14k and I've set it at $28k. I don't want to give him away and would rather use him the rest of the year if I don't get my asking price. I haven't decided whether I'll resign him or not.

All of my scoring in 12 games have come from strikers, save one goal from an attacking midfielder who was playing as a forward due to injury. This hasn't bothered me too much but I'm not a football (soccer) purist. I look at my midfielders as sort of set-up guys anyway.

It's been way too much fun so far and I'm sure EP3 will only make it better.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 09:32 PM   #34
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Not to go Malleus Dei or anything,

I was reading just awful thread after awful thread the other night on .400 and found myself missing that guy.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 10:34 PM   #35
TroyF
Coordinator

What's strange is that I haven't had the forward scoring problem in my game. As Inter Milan, after 20 games I had scored 48 goals. (keep in mind 5 of those games were friendlies against overmatched teams) 40 of those goals came in regular action. Crespo, Viera and Recoba (all forwards for those not familiar) scored 34 of the goals. (only 70% of the overall goals scored) Kallon (who I've been playing as a left winger), Emre, Okan, and Zanetti all have more than one goal.

Defensive players are hardly scoring at all, but I have had little trouble getting mid-fielders involved in my game. This is with 2D on watching key plays BTW.

Still, I've put CM4 on the backburner until the next EP comes out. I have No One Lives Forever 2 which was recently purchased, and the wait for that patch will give me a chance to get into that game.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 12:06 AM   #36
Karim
College Starter

Anyone here using the ARSE command?

From what I've gathered on the SI boards, it adds MUCH more to the game.

I'll have to re-start yet another career though... Hopefully EP3 doesn't require a re-start.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 01:06 AM   #37
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Karim

I'll have to re-start yet another career though... Hopefully EP3 doesn't require a re-start.

Unless they dramatically change how they've done things in the past, it will be save game-compatible. On the other hand, to get the FULL benefit of EP3, you'll want to re-start. [For example, even though a later patch made it so you didn't have to manually give players rest during the offseason, my game was started before that patch so I still have to.]

If you are restarting, you'll probably want to use all three of ARSE, BIG_BALL and GROUND. Do a search here to find what they do.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:51 AM   #38
rexalllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Karim

I always use it.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:32 AM   #39
aquavit
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
I haven't played it since i pretty much got it. I really want to be in the MLS, but since the league seems to have the issues, I am jsut going to hold off until EP3 comes out.

Ditto. Also I don't want to start a long-term game until the finance issues are solved.
aquavit is offline   Reply With Quote