Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2005, 09:52 AM   #1
Comey
College Starter

Poker - My Rounders Moment

Last night, heads up in a tourney downtown. This was sponsored by a local bar, as they have a series going on...about 25 players, only the winner got something (though the final table guys get points to make the finals at the end of the month).

This guy was very inexperienced (he flopped a straight flush and someone bet into him, and he pushed all-in). I decided to wait for a couple of hands, and feel him out. The first four hands of the heads-up went like this:

Hand 1: He pushed all-in, I folded
Hand 2: He folded from the SB.
Hand 3: He pushed all-in, I folded.
Hand 4: He raised, I had junk and folded.

Hand 5: Blinds 4k-8k. We're about even in chips. I pick up 76o in the SB. I call, and he raises another 8K. I decide to call.

Flop comes 8-5-4. He bets into me. I look at him, look at the bet, look at him again, and look a bit puzzled. I am giving him the whole thing here, and then I say "All right", and smoothcall.

The turn brings a jack, and I check again. He bets 16K. I take about two minutes to look up, look down, and begin to count my chips. I am trying to decide whether or not I should push here, or on the river. I figure the amount of chips I have after I count out my call will determine it. I have 11.5K after a call, so I decide to give him a bit more of a puzzled look, and then push it in.

He insta-calls with K4, drawing dead. He was just trying to push me out of the pot, and he didn't have to call the extra 11.5K. But I took it, and won the tournament on the very next hand.

I've flopped the nuts before, but never live, and never on such a board that I could do what I did. Seriously, it was the coolest moment of my poker-playing life.

Add this to my first big tournament win this past Sunday, and my biggest cash game win on Thursday, and this has been the best week I've ever had at the tables.

Last edited by Comey : 06-11-2005 at 10:22 AM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow. I only understood about 10% of that entire post. I got the whole "I was playing cards at a tournament sponsored by a local bar" setup, but after that ya lost me...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Comey
College Starter

There's a very famous hand, the last hand of the 88 WSOP. Johnny Chan flopped the nut straight on Erik Seidel, and then acted disappointed and a bit frustrated with Seidel's betting. He strung him along until Seidel threw all his chips in. Chan called, knowing he had won.

This was a very similiar situation. I wish it were the last hand, but it was the next-to-last, and I can deal with that.

Old 06-11-2005, 07:38 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

it's such a cool feeling, isn't it?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Wow. I only understood about 10% of that entire post. I got the whole "I was playing cards at a tournament sponsored by a local bar" setup, but after that ya lost me...

It's not like it's a Flasch post or something..
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey
Hand 5: Blinds 4k-8k. We're about even in chips. I pick up 76o in the SB. I call, and he raises another 8K. I decide to call.

Fold pre-flop. Completeing was bad. Calling the raise was worse.

When youa re playing heads up and you are in the SB raise or fold. Limping is bad.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:32 PM   #7
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

In Vegas last month, I was stone cold playing 4-8. I wasn't getting cards, and I was probably playing too tight at a very loose table(No Fold'em Hold'em). At one point I have middling suited connectors, and see the flop. I am rewarded with an open ended straight draw, and call a bet. That gives me a flush draw as well. A guy bets into me, and I openly debate a little bit, and raise. Then thinking back to my viewing of that celebrity poker show, I know that sitting back nonchallantly at the table is a huge tell. So I sit back, sigh, and look away from the table for a sec. I turned back, made eye-contact with the guy, and then went straight poker-faced. He folded, and asked if I had two-pair. I just said, " I had to bet it". My best play of the night, and it had little to do with the cards on the table.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:15 AM   #8
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
Fold pre-flop. Completeing was bad. Calling the raise was worse.

When youa re playing heads up and you are in the SB raise or fold. Limping is bad.

Not in this situation, against someone so inexperienced. I knew he'd slow down, as evidenced by his min-raise. That's what I was trying to get him to do...lower the raise or simply just check. He had been slowing down when he hadn't gotten action on some hands three-handed. I was using the same strategy.

Thanks for critiquing, though. Normally, I will do one of those two things (I've won tournaments before, and know how to play heads up). In this case though, I was strictly playing the player.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:50 AM   #9
Comey
College Starter

Dola-

I'm playing for a WSOP seat tomorrow, and I won a tournament tonight which makes it a freeroll. I hope I can keep this up just one more day (and then one more month).

Last edited by Comey : 06-12-2005 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:57 AM   #10
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Good luck!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 02:57 AM   #11
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

When and at what poker site? I may be around tomorrow.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote