Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-04-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

EHM 2005: A New Philosophy in Toronto!

EHM: A New Philosophy in Toronto!

When AHL hockey came to St. John's, Newfoundland I had no idea it would change my life forever. Hired during the first St. John's Maple Leafs season by close friend, and then Memorial Stadium GM, Geln Stanford to simply act as an Assistant... my responsibilites grew as Stanford rose through the ranks of the organization. When Stanford became GM of the Baby Leafs I was given the task of working the hockey side of the operations with the Toronto Maple Leafs brass, while Stanford concentrated on the business aspects, whch he excelled at.

During the 2002-03 AHL\NHL season I was asked by Toronto GM Pat Quinn to step down from my position in St. John's and move to Toronto to be his Assistant. It was like living in a dream, apparently my work with the Baby Leafs had impressed the Board, and Quinn enough for them to offer me a job thousands of hockey fans could only dream of... a front office position with one of the most storied franchises in the NHL. Could it get any better?

Apparently so... because in the Summer of 2003 the Board wanted a change in how the team was being run. With questions arising after majority ownership shifted from Steve Stavro, to a Pension Fund, people wondered if the commitment to win would loose out to the Pension Fund wanting to make a profit before anything else. So the decision was made to move Quinn back to being a full time coach, and hire someone to be a full-time GM. The plan was to pump extra cash into the team, hire a big name to be GM, and continue the trend of building the team from Free Agency so that the fans would see that the Leafs were still trying, and trying hard to win their first Cup since 1967. So the interview process began... and at first I never considered to apply myself but with a bit of convincing by Pat Quinn, and others within the organization I threw my name in the hat... but common sence told me I never had a chance. I didn't... weeks later after a long drawn out search, John Ferguson, Jr. was hired as the new General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, not exactly a huge name. I kept my title as Ass. GM, but worked more as a scout and Ass. Coach with Quinn, then I did in a management role for the 2003-04 season... a season that turned out to be anything but a good one.

After a mediocre regular season, and a quick exit from the playoffs the Board felt that they had rushed into hiring a new GM, and days after the Stanley Cup was awarded John Jr. was fired as GM, and the search began once again.

It started in July 2004, and the media in Toronto had a field day with it, even more so then they had the previous year, because the Board made it known this would me a much more in-depth search than the last one, if that was possible. TSN, The Globe, Sportsnet, and every other news and sports media organization reported daily with updates on how the search was going. Huge names were being tossed around by the talking heads on SportsCentre like there was no tomorrow... Scotty Bowman, Steve Tambellini, Bob Hartley, Ken Holland, Pat Burns, even former Leafs players like Wendel Clark and Doug Gilmour. This year I never bothered to apply, I was content with my current role and didn't want to go through the headache I had endured last year. So I was pleasently suprised when the Board approached me to be interviewed. I accepted, with some hessitation, and presented my plan for the future... a new philosophy, one that required both money and patience. I told them point blank, that my preference was to build the core of the team through the draft and trades and not through Free Agency as had been done in the years previous. I told them I wouldn't ignore Free Agents, but I felt the team needed to get younger and loading up with more vets wasn't the way to go. I basiclly told them the complete opposite of what they had been looking for last year... and as I found out that's eaxactly what they wanted.

On September 1, 2004 I was named General Manager shocking the hockey world to its very core, a realtivly unknown Ass. GM had beaten out hockey genius' to get one of the most coveted jobs in the game. So in a little more than 10 years, I went from being the Ass. Manager of a 3,500 hockey arena to the GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs. What a ride!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So it's September 2, 2005 and with my first full day as GM I have alot of work ahead of me. I've been told by the Board that as per my demands they will have patience as I put my new philosophy to work, so their only expectations from me is that I lead the team to the playoffs, a very reasonable request, given the current roster and team budget.

Before rushing into any huge moves, I'm going to try to spend the next couple of days evaluating every major part of the team, from the staff all the way down to my prospects. I really don't expect the core of the team to change to much early on, but there are a number of staff changes I will be looking at, as well as some positions that are going to need to be filled due to a number of our key guys recovering from off-season surgery. Without further ado, I give you my staffing team as they are now:

Code:
Name Position --------------------------------------- Mike Penny Ass. GM Pat Quinn Head Coach Keith Acton Ass. Coach Matt Nichol Ass. Coach Rick Ley Ass. Coach Tommie Bergman Head Scout Barry Trapp Scout Dave Morrison Scout Garth Malarchuk Scout George Armstrong Scout Jan Kovac Scout Mark Yannetti Scout Mike Palmateer Scout Murray Oliver Scout Nikolai Ladygin Scout Brent Smith Trainer Chris Broadhurst Trainer Tony Scott Trainer

So that is my staff, I'll go over them in four sections... first up are my coaches.

I make the easy decision that Pat Quinn wil continue as Maple Leafs Head Coach, he hired me and was probably the main reason I got the GM job so I feel like I owe him enough respect to let him continue as Coach untill I really need to make a change, or he decides, himself, to leave. Plus, the Board could have decided to take both jobs away from him last year, so they obviously want him behind the bench for the time being. So my first meeting of the day is with Mr. Quinn. We sit down and discuss, my ideas, his ideas... and how he feels his Assistants are doing. I'm high on Acton, as I think he has potential to take over for Quinn in a couple of years, so he won't be going anywhere. Quinn says he wants Ley, so the discussion mainly focuses on Nichol. The only reason I see for keeping him is his ability in coaching young players, something the other guys aren't that great at, and with my plans of lowering the team's age this skill could come in use later on down the line.

Do we make the change? I'm leaning toward yes, as a quick scan of the Free Agent coaches present a few guys that are better overall then Nichol but also are great with youngsters. We will see, because I'm not going to be doing and moves right away. I'm also going to go after a forth Assistant. Five heads are better than four, right?

On to the scouts, my three best are easily Oliver (20 Ability/17 Potential), Ladygin (17A/19P), & Trapp (20A/16P). I'm going to go after at least 5 more, and I may consider getting rid of a few like Malarchuk (13A/14P) & Palmateer (11A/16P). I'll probably name someone else as my Head scout, but that will only be done after I get the entire staff in place.

The training staff seems to be set, with the lot of them have rated 20 in the thearpy department, I'm not sure if I can hire more, but I'll put out an offer just in case. I have a team full of aging vets, that will but the Trainer's to good use throughout the season.

Lastly my Ass. GM, Mike Penny... he's going to be shown the door as soon as I can sign someone to replace him. He's nothing to write home about, and with my draft/trade-centric philosophy, I need a good guy as my number two.

-----------

I'll continue my evaluation of my roster, and prospects in my next post which will either be later today, or Sunday.

+++ OOC Comments & Questions+++
~ This is my first dynasty, ever... I've attempted to start one' for TPF, EHM 2004, and OOTP before but I've never gotten past the back story. Hopefully I'll be able to stick with this one, and update it on a fairly regular basis. One problem that could arise is when a fan produced roster pack comes out, I may consider restarting this, since it will then have my College guys named properly. But I'll make that decision when the time comes.

~ As much as I've played last years version of EHM, I'm still not entirely sure on the staff limits. I'm pretty sure you can have four Assistant Coaches, but other than that I only know when I go to hire people, and then I usually forget. It would be really nice if it said on you Personnel screen what the limits were, if there are any, etc.

~ As this is my first real dynasty I may be missing something, but it seems like EHM is extremly limited on what reports you can print out. All I see options for is the roster, schedule, transactions, and stats. That great and all, but it would be so much easier for writing up dynasty's if we could print out our staff screen, team report screen, etc. As it stand now, I have to do all these thing by hand, which really can take alot of time.

~ Is there any actual benefit of naming someone your Head Scout?

~ It would be a real help if someone could post what stats are in use for the different types of staff members, I think I have a general idea, but I'd like to know for sure.

Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am already pumped.

Good luck with this, I'll be reading.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
Johnny93g
College Starter

Ill be watching very closely to make sure you dont screw up my team
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 02:10 PM   #4
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Roster Evaulation Meeting

My meeting with Pat Quinn continues now with our Roster situation, we are joined by current Ass. GM Mike Penny who has given us both his Team\Prospect Reports. I first want to take a quick glance at the Roster, than ask Pat what he thinks we need. Below you'll find the current roster of signed players, listed in the order they appear on Penny's Team Report:

Code:
************************************************************************************************ Toronto Maple Leafs - Thursday September 2 2004 ************************************************************************************************ ======================================================================================================== Roster Report by Ass. GM Mike Penny ======================================================================================================== No.Name Position(s) Nation Status Age Height Weight Wages Expires Reputation ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 20 Belfour, Ed G CAN S-5 Months 39 5'11'' 200 $8,000,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 32 Tellqvist, Mikael G SWE Healthy 24 5'11'' 191 $700,000 Jun. 2005 Good 31 Racine, J.F. G CAN Healthy 22 6'3'' 198 $325,000 Jun. 2005 Good 34 Ford, Todd G CAN Healthy 20 6'4'' 178 $250,000 Jun. 2007 Good 2 Leetch, Brian RD-LD USA Healthy 36 6'0'' 194 $6,500,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 24 McCabe, Bryan RD CAN Healthy 29 6'2'' 218 $4,600,000 Jun. 2006 V. Good 15 Kaberle, Tomas LD CZE Healthy 26 6'1'' 196 $2,900,000 Jun. 2006 V. Good 22 Klee, Ken RD USA Healthy 33 6'1'' 209 $1,500,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 29 Pilar, Karel RD CZE Healthy 26 6'3'' 205 $525,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 8 Berg, Aki LD FIN Healthy 27 6'3'' 211 $1,400,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 4 Belak, Wade RD-RW CAN Healthy 28 6'5'' 220 $850,000 Jun. 2005 Good 3 Hedin, Pierre LD SWE Healthy 26 6'1'' 196 $475,000 Jun. 2005 Good 8 Colaiacovo, Carlo LD CAN Healthy 21 6'1'' 187 $750,000 Jun. 2005 Good 40 White, Ian RD CAN Healthy 20 5'10'' 183 $250,000 Jun. 2006 Good 7 Moro, Marc RD-LD CAN Healthy 27 6'1'' 216 $375,000 Jun. 2005 Good 4 Kelly, Regan RD CAN Healthy 23 6'2'' 191 $250,000 Jun. 2005 Good 7 Roberts, Gary LW CAN Healthy 38 6'2'' 213 $4,200,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 16 Tucker, Darcy LW-RW CAN Healthy 29 5'10'' 176 $1,600,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 18 Kilger, Chad LW CAN Healthy 27 6'4'' 222 $800,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 22 Druken, Harold LW-C CAN Healthy 25 6'0'' 198 $1,000,000 Jun. 2005 Good UNSIGNED ---Alexei Ponikarovsky--- UNSIGNED 18 Barrett, Nathan LW-C CAN Healthy 23 6'0'' 187 $250,000 Jun. 2005 Good 25 Ondrus, Ben LW CAN Healthy 22 6'0'' 183 $450,000 Jun. 2005 Good 13 Sundin, Mats C SWE Healthy 33 6'5'' 229 $9,000,000 Jun. 2007 Superb 25 Nieuwendyk, Joe C CAN Healthy 37 6'2'' 202 $2,000,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 80 Antropov, Nik C-RW KAZ Healthy 24 6'5'' 229 $1,300,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 14 Stajan, Matt C-LW CAN Healthy 20 6'1'' 178 $950,000 Jun. 2006 V. Good 97 Wellwood, Kyle C CAN Healthy 21 5'10'' 189 $250,000 Jun. 2006 Good 23 Wilm, Clarke C-LW CAN Healthy 27 6'0'' 200 $450,000 Jun. 2006 Good 33 Newbury, Kris C-LW CAN Healthy 22 5'10'' 198 $425,000 Jun. 2005 Good 89 Mogilny, Alexander RW RUS H-2 Months 35 6'0'' 207 $5,500,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 11 Nolan, Owen RW CAN S-6 Months 32 6'1'' 213 $6,500,000 Jun. 2006 V. Good 28 Domi, Tie RW CAN S-6 Months 34 5'10'' 211 $2,000,000 Jun. 2006 V. Good 26 Perrott, Nathan RW-LW CAN Healthy 27 6'0'' 224 $850,000 Jun. 2005 Good 38 Leeb, Brad RW-C CAN Healthy 25 5'11'' 185 $700,000 Jun. 2005 Good 11 Williams, Jeremy RW-LW CAN Healthy 20 5'11'' 183 $725,000 Jun. 2006 Good Status Key: S - Sugery H - Hip Injury

Just glancing at the roster, it is plainly obvious that we are both old and in trouble. Our starting goalie is not only 39 years old, but he had surgery during the off-season, and will be recovering for the next 5 months, that puts his return somewhere around the end of January. Our top three Right Wingers are out for 2, 6, & 6 months respectivly, and with very little behind those guys we will be forced to either deal for RW's or go the Free Agency route, something I'm hesitant on doing right off the bat. Why all the off-season surgery... well everyone was convinced we'd have a work stoppage, and there wouldn't be any 2004-05 season. Well around the time the Leafs fired John Jr., the then NHL Commish Gary Bettman came down with a severe case of heartburn and blew up, pieces of him were splatter all over Toronto... thus hockey was saved, and the season goes on.

What does Head Coach Pat Quinn feel we need. Well he commented that because of injuries he feels there is a definite lack of talent on the roster, he feels we need both star power, and depth on both Wings, and some help on defence. He also added that he feels we need to load up on expereince for a playoff run, I quickly throw a hockey puck at his head. If there is one thing we don't need, it is more 30+ players. We no doubt will be forced to bring some on to fill holes, but it isn't something we will be looking for.

GOAL

Something that suprised me, was that Quinn never mentioned anything about our situation between the pipes. Belfour will be out until well into the new year, and Mikael Tellqvist is our only other viable option. I suspect, since Quinn drafted him, that he's a fan of Sweeden's top netminder... but I don't see it. I've seen him play in St. John's a number of times, and while he is devloping nicely at the current time I don't think he's #1 material, and I'm hesitant of having him as the future #1. My first order of business on Friday (Game Time), will be to really focus in on someone that can either be our full-time starter, or at least share the role with Telly. I'll also be looking for other options throughout the season, as even when Belfour returns we won't know how long he'll continue playing, and what caliber of play he'll return at. This is by far our worst position in the longterm.

DEFENCE

Defence seems okay for now, we've got a decent top three with Leetch, Kaberle, and McCabe. Colaiacovo & White are our young guys, who I'll try to keep in St. John's (AHL) as much as I can. Leetch is a good anchor, his contract is up after this season but my options are limited with his No-Trade Clause... it's either re-sign him, or let him go for nothing. I'll see how the season progress', but I'll be looking to my scouting staff to find me some more youth at this position, and maybe somebody else I can place in the top four of my depth chart.

LEFT-WING

On the Left Wing, I'm pretty sure of the direction I'll be going. Roberts will be staying put until he either wants out, or retires, I'm a big Roberts fan and I think he can fit and playing anywhere from the first to third line, as well on the PP & PK. Druken, a fellow Newfoundlander, is nothing more than a depth player that I'll use only in case of injury or on the 4th line. Ondrus & Barret are strictly injury replacements, and will spend most of their time on the Rock. I'm indifferent to Kilger, he's cheap, and can play on the 3rd or 4th line so I don't see any need to get rid of him... but if something better comes along he's expendable. So I'm left with Tucker, he's gone as soon as I find a taker... I'm not a fan of him at all plain and simple. There's someone in Free Agency I have in mind at Left Wing, so if I can trade Tucker for a draft pick or two I'll be happy. Poni probably won't be re-signed, and will most likerly be used to secure a draft pick.

CENTRE

Centre is set, I won't be activly looking for anyone at this position. Sundin, our Captain, will anchor the first line... Joe is a face-off master... Antropov is devloping nicely... and Stajan & Wellwood are my young guys. If anything I'll move Druken to Centre so I can put Stajan and Welly in St. John's for some more development work.

RIGHT-WING

And finally Right Wing... at present this is a major problem which is plainly obvious. Parrot & Leeb are nothing more than fourth liners or injury replacements, and Williams isn't ready for the NHL. I'll most definitly be looking to sign some guys here, I have some wiggle room since Antropov can play RW... and Tucker, while he is still here, can play RW as well, so I may not move him until Nolan comes back.

We have some problems, and we have some thing to get excited about. Will be in a better situation to evaluate things one we move through Camp, we get out scouts straightened away, free agency moves along, and when we can get someone to replace Penny. I dismiss Penny & Quinn for lunch, and ask them to return later in the day for a run down of our prospects.

~ I'm going to set up a post later in the week to keep track of the current roster, staff, prospects, etc. So when this dynasty is on page 20 , I won't have to be continuly wasting space posting the rosters, I'll just post a link back to page one.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
I am already pumped.

Good luck with this, I'll be reading.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
Ill be watching very closely to make sure you dont screw up my team

Don't worry, I won't.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Old 06-04-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
jbmagic
Pro Starter

great Dynasty so far.

i be reading.

i hope you can go over your tactics and tendecies when you get close to game play.

thanks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:54 PM   #7
Johnny93g
College Starter

oh, im already worried based on what ive read....lol.....we got money....USE IT!!!!....the draft is great, but while your building from within, grab the local boys......Jason Allison, Eric Lindros.....I'd love to see them in the blue and white....

I would say resign Poni.....he has a nice upside, seems to be a hard worker...gritty, young, I would give him a chance on the top 2 lines with the injuries.....

Make sure you keep Nolan, at least for me.....I love the guy....I know he hasnt lived up to expectations, but he has had some tough breaks injury wise, and is a great leader......Resign Leetch, and keep him until he retires.....i dont care how old he is, that kind of player is hard to replace.

maybe I should be your assistant GM
TML
Old 06-04-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
oh, im already worried based on what ive read....lol.....we got money....USE IT!!!!....the draft is great, but while your building from within, grab the local boys......Jason Allison, Eric Lindros.....I'd love to see them in the blue and white....

I would say resign Poni.....he has a nice upside, seems to be a hard worker...gritty, young, I would give him a chance on the top 2 lines with the injuries.....

Make sure you keep Nolan, at least for me.....I love the guy....I know he hasnt lived up to expectations, but he has had some tough breaks injury wise, and is a great leader......Resign Leetch, and keep him until he retires.....i dont care how old he is, that kind of player is hard to replace.

maybe I should be your assistant GM

I have some ideas on the Free Agency front, but Allison and Lindros are currently not in those plans. We'll see on Leetch & Nolan, although I'm much more likely to keep only one of them than both... you'll just have to stay tuned to see which one.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #9
condors
College Starter

good luck, i will be reading also
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian

~ Is there any actual benefit of naming someone your Head Scout?

The head scout files his own report on any player that his scouting staff reports on as well.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:32 PM   #11
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This should be a good one, looking forward to it.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:47 PM   #12
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
The head scout files his own report on any player that his scouting staff reports on as well.

Thanks!
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-05-2005, 09:30 PM   #13
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Hey Joe, you spelled Defense wrong. And Center.

sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:00 AM   #14
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Prospect Meeting & Staff Contract Offers

Our meeting continues, after lunch, with both Quinn & Penny returning to review the final bits of the team before we get to work on implementing my new plans in the coming days, weeks, and months. We really only have one more thing to look at, and that is our Top Prospects list. I realize I'm going to have to run over all this after Penny leaves, but I have enough confidence in his work to use his list as a guidline of sorts. In a snap shot, here are our Top 12 Prospects:

Code:
************************************************* Toronto Maple Leafs - Thursday September 2 2004 ************************************************* ================================================= ================================================= No.Name Position(s) Age Team Based ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1 Adam Owens LW/C 18 Wisconsin UCWE 2 John Mitchell C 19 Plymouth OHL 3 Dmitri Vorobiev LD 18 Togliatti RUS 4 Carlo Colaiacovo LD 21 Maple Leafs NHL 5 Mikael Tellqvist G 24 Maple Leafs NHL 6 Kyle Wellwood C 21 Maple Leafs NHL 7 Alexander Steen RW/C 20 Modo SWE 8 Roamsn Kukumberg LW 24 Nizhnekamsk RUS 9 Ian White RD 20 Maple Leafs NHL 10 Brad Leeb RW/C 25 Maple Leafs NHL 11 Brandon Bell LD 21 Maple Leafs NHL 12 Jeremy Williams RW/LW 20 Maple Leafs NHL

I'll be perefectly honest, I'm unfamiliar with alot of these guys. As I see it the cupboard isn't overflowing with talent here, I question if Telly and Wellwood can handle permanent NHL jobs, and half the guys on the list are over 20. This is an area we will be looking to improve on, and we will be really searching for extra draft picks throughout the season to stock this list up with guys. As I stated I'm going to be concentrating on making this team younger, and the draft is an important part of this. Other than that, I'll have to wait till my scouts give me a better picture as to where I am.

That concludes our Team Outlook Meetings. I think I have a good idea as to what I'm going to be doing over the next few days, but it's time to get to work. The rest of today will be dedicated to dealing with staffing issues, so lets get to work...

First thing is first, dealing with my Assistant GM problems. I don't want Penny in that position, so as soon as I hire someone he will be gone. I look over the list of interested parties and one guy stand out. He's not a star, but that's not what I'm looking for.. he's Lorne Frey, Ass. GM, of the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL. So I offer him a 4 year deal @ $150,000/year, to my suprise when I look that's more than I'm paying Penny, but I have the money so I'm not really worried about that.

Next are my Ass. Coach vacancies, I fired Nichol so I have two spots I want to fill. I immediatly go after Ted Nolan, the guy has excellent skills with youngsters, is a quality coach, and although he lacks discipline skills I think he can fill one of the holes we have opened. The other guy I go after is former Hurricances Head Coach, Paul Maurice. Both guys get offers of 4 years @ $220,000/year.

For our Scouting positions I target six guys right off the bat. They are Jim Cassidy (St. Michael's-OHL), Ross Mahoney (No Team), Steve Richmond (No Team), Geoff Stevens (No Team), Kim Barnstable (Van-WHL), and Martin Vyborny (No Team). I may make more offers later but for now, I think these guys can anchor or staff, along with the people we currently have.

Thursday's work is done, we have our staff offers made, and complete team review accomplished. On Friday we'll see if we have any responces, and we will look at the Free Agent market.

~ I really wish the start date in EHM 2005 was prior to the end of the European transfer window. In a perfect world I'd have Steen playing in St. John's this season, and not in Sweden.
~ EHM 2005 really needs to expand its ability to print information. It's extremly time consuming having to do all these tables by hand!!
~ !!!IMPORTANT!!! What constitues a prospect for the prospect list? Telq, Carlo, and Leeb are considered prospects... but Stajan isn't? Is it because Stajan has logged enough time in the NHL? If it is, then why can I still set Stajan's status to prospect?
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-06-2005, 12:14 AM   #15
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Thurday, September 2, 2005

WORLD CUP RESULTS - European Group

Czech Republic 2 @ Germany 4
Sweden 5 @ Finland 3

Code:
************************************************************************************************ World Cup - Thursday September 2 2004 ************************************************************************************************ ================================================================================================ 2004 Standings ================================================================================================ European Group Pos Team Pld Won Lst Tie OTL Pct GF GA Pts ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1st Sweden 2 2 0 0 0 0.000 8 5 4 2nd Germany 2 1 1 0 0 0.000 6 5 2 3rd Finland 2 1 1 0 0 0.000 5 5 2 4th Czech Republic 2 0 2 0 0 0.000 2 6 0 North American Group Pos Team Pld Won Lst Tie OTL Pct GF GA Pts ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1st Canada 2 2 0 0 0 0.000 12 0 4 2nd Russia 2 2 0 0 0 0.000 10 8 4 3rd Slovakia 2 0 2 0 0 0.000 4 11 0 4th U.S.A. 2 0 1 0 1 0.000 4 11 0
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-06-2005, 09:59 AM   #16
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Last Minute Business

I thought I'd be out of the office early, but a couple of last minute e-mails have kept me for a few more hours to hammer some things out.

Inbox - Thursday, September 2, 2004

- 2004/05 Schedule Released
- Red Wings offer exhibition game proposal

It slipped my mind completely but I have to schedule my preseaon affairs, I'll accept the Red Wings offer for Sept. 23, and with the four games that were scheduled by my predecessor my exhibition schedule currently looks like this:

Code:
================================================================================================ 2004-05 Schedule ================================================================================================ Date Opposition Venue Competition Result Attendance Scorers ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 9-13-04 Colorado H Exhibition --- - - 9-14-04 Flyers A Exhibition --- - - 9-17-04 Blackhawks A Exhibition --- - - 9-21-04 Kings A Exhibition --- - - 9-23-04 Red Wings A Exhibition --- - -

I'm going to attempt to schedule four more dates at home, and I may accept another away game depending on the offers I get. So I send out requests to Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver & Calgary... we will see where this gets us.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:36 AM   #17
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Friday, September 3, 2004

Quote:
Inbox - Friday AM, September 3, 2004

- Maurice gets Ass. Coach offer from Kings (NHL)
- Maurice gets Ass. Coach offer from Blues (NHL)
- Maurice gets Ass. Coach offer from Sharks (NHL)
- Maurice gets Ass. Coach offer from Senators (NHL)
- Eric Lindros has been offered a contract by the San Jose Sharks (NHL)
- Paul Kariya has been offered a contract by the Ottawa Senators (NHL)
- Rumors surround Jagr, is he headed to Boston?

Well we are getting a bit of competiton from other teams over Paul Maurice, so I up my offer to 4 years @ $300,000/year. I really want him because he'll be a good Assistant and he's obviously future Head Coach material for what Quinn leaves.

As for the other news around the league. The Sharks will sorely miss both Mike Ricci (Coyotes) and Vinny Damphousse (Avs) next season, so it isn't a uprise they want to sign a Free Agent centre, but Lindros? With his injury problems he's not worth the $4,500,000 he's asking, so I wonder if the Sharks offered less. The Seantors are again proving that their new ownership team means buisness going after all-star left-winger Paul Kariya... this piques my interest since I've been looking at Kariya as a potential signee and the Senators are a divisional rival... this could get interesting. As for Jagr going to Boston - Well Boston has a bear cupboard with alot of people leaving via Free Agency, so they have both the need and money for Jagr, the question is do they have the goods to get him from New York?

Maple Leafs Target Free Agents

It's time we got started on who we'll target on the UFA-Market. We've determined we need major help on the RW, somebody to split duties with Telq in net until Belfour returns, and some depth on the left side. I think for now I'm happy where our defence is, and I don't really see anyone I want to spend money on at this point. So lets get to it... on our first day our offers break down like this:

LW/RW Paul Kariya 4 years @ 4M\4M\4.2M
RW Alexi Kovalev 3 years @ $3.6 Million/year
RW Anson Carter 3 years @ $2.2 Million/year
G Chris Osgood 2 years @ $3.3 Million/year
(I expect big competition from Vancouver for him)

Yes I realize that I'm going after four big guys here, which sort of goes against my original plan. But I said I wouldn't be affraid to use the Free Agent market if I needed it, and IMO right now that's what we need especially with our injury problems on the Right Wing. What will happen after Nolan\Domi\Belfour\Mogilny return? Who knows, but if I can get all these guys it makes other people on my roster expendable that I originally thought I'd keep. Around the All-Star break I'll re-visit my full roster and see where we are at.

Quote:
Inbox - Friday EVE, September 3, 2004

- Ottawa accepts exhibition game proposal
- Vancouver accepts exhibition game proposal
- Montreal accepts exhibition game proposal
- Calgary accepts exhibition game proposal

So my preseason schedule seems to be set, unless I get an offer for another away game but at this point I'm leaning away from that possibility. My free agent targets have been set, schedule issues are setteled, and my day is done. I'll return to the office Saturday to see what our future holds.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-06-2005, 06:52 PM   #18
Johnny93g
College Starter

KOVALEV!!!!!!!.......even if he was a leaf, i wouldnt like him....im still pushing Jason Allison
TML
Old 06-06-2005, 10:59 PM   #19
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
KOVALEV!!!!!!!.......even if he was a leaf, i wouldnt like him....im still pushing Jason Allison

I'm indifferent towards Kovalev as a person, but he's one hell of a hockey player and he plays RW which is what I need. As for Allison, not a chance, he's out for 8 months with a "bad" concussion (as opposed to a "good" one???) when you start the game. So maybe I'll look at him when he's better, but probably not...
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:08 AM   #20
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Saturday, September 4, 2005

Quote:
Inbox - Saturday AM, September 4, 2005

- Coyotes looking to unload Mike Johnson, Vancouver interested
- Geoff Stevens gets scouting offer from Ducks (NHL)
- Geoff Stevens gets scouting offer from Penguins (NHL)
- Geoff Stevens gets scouting offer from Sabres (NHL)
- Martin Vyborny gets scouting offer from HC Energei Karlovy Vary (EXT-CZE)
- Bruins offer Pavol Demitra a contract

As I expected I'm getting other teams trying to sign the guys I want to be my scouts, I won't up my offers like I did with Maurice, yet. The Coyotes e-mail intrigues me, it says they want to get younger so they are trading 'ancient' RW Johnson at 29 years old when there are 12 other players on their NHL roster who are older. It also says that the Canucks are thinking about offering a vetran?? It will be interesting to see what Nonis (VAN) & Barnett (PHX) do with this. I've been mulling over wether or not to offer Demitra a contract, and withdraw my bid for Kovalev... Demitra plays centre, but can also play the right side, and I like as many options as I can get. I'll let it go another day or two, and see how I feel then.

WORLD CUP RESULTS - North American Group

Canada 4 @ Russia 4
USA 3 @ Slovakia 2

Code:
************************************************************************************************ World Cup - Sunday September 5 2004 ************************************************************************************************ ================================================================================================ 2004 Standings ================================================================================================ European Group Pos Team Pld Won Lst Tie OTL Pct GF GA Pts ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1st Sweden 2 2 0 0 0 0.000 8 5 4 2nd Germany 2 1 1 0 0 0.000 6 5 2 3rd Finland 2 1 1 0 0 0.000 5 5 2 4th Czech Republic 2 0 2 0 0 0.000 2 6 0 North American Group Pos Team Pld Won Lst Tie OTL Pct GF GA Pts ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1st Canada 3 2 0 1 0 0.333 16 4 5 2nd Russia 3 2 0 1 0 0.333 14 12 5 3rd U.S.A. 3 1 1 0 1 0.000 7 13 2 4th Slovakia 3 0 3 0 0 0.000 6 14 0

-----

Sunday, September 5, 2005

Quote:
Inbox - Sunday AM, September 5, 2005

- Martin Vyborny gets scouting offer from HC Hamme (EXT-CZE)
- Canadiens offer contract to Ziggy Palffy
- Kovalev's agents announces a deal with the NJ Devils is close at hand
- TRADE:
To New Jersey - RW/LW Jean-Pierre Dumont
To Buffalo - D Matt DeMarchi, LW Ivan Khomutov, & right to RD Aleksandr Mikhailishin
- Ass. Coach Ted Nolan signs with Toronto Maple Leafs

I'm going to extend my offer to Vyborny to $40,000/year, up from $30,000 just to make sure he signs on this side of the Atlantic. The Canadians are still looking to contend in the Eastern Conference by targeting Palffy as a Kovalev replacement. Which brings us to Kovalev, he's still my number one choice but I'm not going to offer him anymore than I have so I've made an offer to C/RW Pavol Demitra for 2 years @ 3.6 Million/year. I'm only going to sign one of them, so it's first come first serve.

We see New Jersey & Buffalo pull the trigger on the first trade of the year. This is clearly a cash dump on Buffalo's part, and NJ trying to prepare for another run at the Cup. And finally we are pleased to announce the signing of former Sabres Head Caoch Ted Nolan, he will come on as an Assistant to Pat Quinn.

Quote:
Inbox - Sunday PM, September 5, 2005

- Maple Leafs sign scout Jim Cassidy
- Maple Leafs sign scout Kim Barnstable

The staffing situation seems to be coming together nicely, with two of our targeted scouts signing deals this afternoon. Early next week I hope to have the scouts, at least cleared away, and then I can get down to micromanaging that area.

Quote:
Inbox - Sunday EVE, September 5, 2005

- Maple Leafs sign scout Ross Mahoney
- Maple Leafs sign scout Steve Richmond

So we're only waiting on scouts Stevens & Vyborny to accept our offers, and it is no suprise these are the guys with offers from other teams on the table besides ours. The waiting game continues... Well, the weekend is over, so it's back to the office full-time on Monday to make the final preperations for the start of taining camp on the 9th. I leave you with a look at how the World Cup is coming along...

WORLD CUP RESULTS - European Group

Germany 2 @ Finland 3
Sweden 2 @ Czech Republic 5

Code:
************************************************************************************************ World Cup - Sunday September 5 2004 ************************************************************************************************ ================================================================================================ 2004 Standings ================================================================================================ European Group Pos Team Pld Won Lst Tie OTL Pct GF GA Pts ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1st Sweden 3 2 1 0 0 0.000 10 10 4 2nd Finland 3 2 1 0 0 0.000 8 7 4 3rd Germany 3 1 2 0 0 0.000 8 8 2 4th Czech Republic 3 1 2 0 0 0.000 7 8 2 North American Group Pos Team Pld Won Lst Tie OTL Pct GF GA Pts ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1st Canada 3 2 0 1 0 0.333 16 4 5 2nd Russia 3 2 0 1 0 0.333 14 12 5 3rd U.S.A. 3 1 1 0 1 0.000 7 13 2 4th Slovakia 3 0 3 0 0 0.000 6 14 0 ================================================================================================ 2004 Quarter Finals ================================================================================================ Czech Republic @ Finland Sweden @ Germany Canada @ Slovakia Russia @ USA
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:20 AM   #21
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Toronto Maple Leafs - 2004 Information HQ

Note: The following information is current as of the most recent post in this thread, I will use this post to give everyone a look at the current staff/roster/standings/etc.... again this post is of the current information as of the most recent post in this thread!!!

WORK IN PROGRESS

Toronto Maple Leafs - Tuesday September 7 2004

Code:
================================================ Current Personnel ================================================= Name Position --------------------------------------- Mike Penny Ass. GM Pat Quinn Head Coach Keith Acton Ass. Coach Rick Ley Ass. Coach Ted Nolan Ass. Coach Brent Smith Trainer Chris Broadhurst Trainer Tony Scott Trainer

Code:
================================================ Scouts & Scouting Assignments ================================================= Name Assignment --------------------------------------- Ross Mahoney (Head Scout) Shortlist Steve Richmond Shortlist Jim Cassidy Shortlist Barry Trapp NHL Entry Draft Dave Morrison NHL Entry Draft Mark Yannetti NHL Entry Draft Murray Oliver Next Opposition Thommie Bergman NHL Kim Barnstable Canada Nikolai Ladygin USA George Armstrong Floater - Toronto Maple Leafs

Code:
======================================================================================================== Roster Report by Ass. GM Mike Penny ======================================================================================================== No.Name Position(s) Nation Status Age Height Weight Wages Expires Reputation ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 20 Belfour, Ed G CAN S-5 Months 39 5'11'' 200 $8,000,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 32 Tellqvist, Mikael G SWE Healthy 24 5'11'' 191 $700,000 Jun. 2005 Good 31 Racine, J.F. G CAN Healthy 22 6'3'' 198 $325,000 Jun. 2005 Good 34 Ford, Todd G CAN Healthy 20 6'4'' 178 $250,000 Jun. 2007 Good 2 Leetch, Brian RD-LD USA Healthy 36 6'0'' 194 $6,500,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 24 McCabe, Bryan RD CAN Healthy 29 6'2'' 218 $4,600,000 Jun. 2006 V. Good 15 Kaberle, Tomas LD CZE Healthy 26 6'1'' 196 $2,900,000 Jun. 2006 V. Good 22 Klee, Ken RD USA Healthy 33 6'1'' 209 $1,500,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 29 Pilar, Karel RD CZE Healthy 26 6'3'' 205 $525,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 8 Berg, Aki LD FIN Healthy 27 6'3'' 211 $1,400,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 4 Belak, Wade RD-RW CAN Healthy 28 6'5'' 220 $850,000 Jun. 2005 Good 3 Hedin, Pierre LD SWE Healthy 26 6'1'' 196 $475,000 Jun. 2005 Good 8 Colaiacovo, Carlo LD CAN Healthy 21 6'1'' 187 $750,000 Jun. 2005 Good 40 White, Ian RD CAN Healthy 20 5'10'' 183 $250,000 Jun. 2006 Good 7 Moro, Marc RD-LD CAN Healthy 27 6'1'' 216 $375,000 Jun. 2005 Good 3 Hedin, Pierre LD SWE Healthy 26 6'1'' 196 $475,000 Jun. 2005 Good 20 Harrison, Jay LD CAN Healthy 21 6'4'' 209 $275,000 Jun. 2005 Good 4 Kelly, Regan RD CAN Healthy 23 6'2'' 191 $250,000 Jun. 2005 Good 9 Bell, Brendan LD CAN Healthy 21 6'1'' 202 $250,000 Jun. 2005 Good 2 Wozniewski, Andy LD-RD USA Healthy 24 6'5'' 220 $250,000 Jun. 2005 Ok 2 Marsh, Tyson LD CAN Healthy 20 6'2'' 198 $250,000 Jun. 2005 Ok 5 D'Amour, Dominic LD-RD CAN Healthy 20 6'3'' 218 $250,000 Jun. 2007 Ok - Kariya, Paul LW-RW CAN Healthy 29 5'10'' 178 $4,000,00 Jun. 2007 Superb 7 Roberts, Gary LW CAN Healthy 38 6'2'' 213 $4,200,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 16 Tucker, Darcy LW-RW CAN Healthy 29 5'10'' 176 $1,600,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good - Carter, Anson LW-RW CAN Healthy 30 6'1'' 207 $2,200,00 Jun. 2007 V. Good 18 Kilger, Chad LW CAN Healthy 27 6'4'' 222 $800,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 22 Druken, Harold LW-C CAN Healthy 25 6'0'' 198 $1,000,000 Jun. 2005 Good UNSIGNED ---Alexei Ponikarovsky--- UNSIGNED 18 Barrett, Nathan LW-C CAN Healthy 23 6'0'' 187 $250,000 Jun. 2005 Good 25 Ondrus, Ben LW CAN Healthy 22 6'0'' 183 $450,000 Jun. 2005 Good 13 Sundin, Mats C SWE Healthy 33 6'5'' 229 $9,000,000 Jun. 2007 Superb 25 Nieuwendyk, Joe C CAN Healthy 37 6'2'' 202 $2,000,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 80 Antropov, Nik C-RW KAZ Healthy 24 6'5'' 229 $1,300,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 14 Stajan, Matt C-LW CAN Healthy 20 6'1'' 178 $950,000 Jun. 2006 V. Good 97 Wellwood, Kyle C CAN Healthy 21 5'10'' 189 $250,000 Jun. 2006 Good 23 Wilm, Clarke C-LW CAN Healthy 27 6'0'' 200 $450,000 Jun. 2006 Good 33 Newbury, Kris C-LW CAN Healthy 22 5'10'' 198 $425,000 Jun. 2005 Good 89 Mogilny, Alexander RW RUS H-2 Months 35 6'0'' 207 $5,500,000 Jun. 2005 V. Good 11 Nolan, Owen RW CAN S-6 Months 32 6'1'' 213 $6,500,000 Jun. 2006 V. Good 28 Domi, Tie RW CAN S-6 Months 34 5'10'' 211 $2,000,000 Jun. 2006 V. Good 26 Perrott, Nathan RW-LW CAN Healthy 27 6'0'' 224 $850,000 Jun. 2005 Good 38 Leeb, Brad RW-C CAN Healthy 25 5'11'' 185 $700,000 Jun. 2005 Good 11 Williams, Jeremy RW-LW CAN Healthy 20 5'11'' 183 $725,000 Jun. 2006 Good Status Key: S - Sugery H - Hip Injury

Code:
======================================================================================================== Prospect Report by Ass. GM Mike Penny ======================================================================================================== No.Name Position(s) Age Team Based ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1 Adam Owens LW/C 18 Wisconsin UCWE 2 John Mitchell C 19 Plymouth OHL 3 Dmitri Vorobiev LD 18 Togliatti RUS 4 Carlo Colaiacovo LD 21 Maple Leafs NHL 5 Mikael Tellqvist G 24 Maple Leafs NHL 6 Kyle Wellwood C 21 Maple Leafs NHL 7 Alexander Steen RW/C 20 Modo SWE 8 Roamsn Kukumberg LW 24 Nizhnekamsk RUS 9 Ian White RD 20 Maple Leafs NHL 10 Brad Leeb RW/C 25 Maple Leafs NHL 11 Brandon Bell LD 21 Maple Leafs NHL 12 Jeremy Williams RW/LW 20 Maple Leafs NHL

Code:
================================================================================================ 2004-05 Transactions ================================================================================================ Date Player In From Fee --------------------------------------------------------------------------- 9-5-04 Kim Barnstable Vancouver $14K 9-5-04 Jim Cassidy St. Michael's $18K 9-5-04 Ted Nolan Free Transfer Free 9-6-04 Paul Kariya Free Transfer Free 9-6-04 Steve Richmond Free Transfer Free 9-6-04 Paul Maurice Free Transfer Free 9-6-04 Ross Mahoney Free Transfer Free 9-6-04 Anson Carter Free Transfer Free Date Player Out To Fee --------------------------------------------------------------------------- 9-2-04 John Ferguson Jr. Released Free 9-2-04 Matt Nichol Released Free

Code:
================================================================================================ 2004-05 Schedule ================================================================================================ Date Opposition Venue Competition Result Attendance Scorers ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 9-11-04 Canucks H Exhibition --- - - 9-13-04 Colorado H Exhibition --- - - 9-14-04 Flyers A Exhibition --- - - 9-17-04 Blackhawks A Exhibition --- - - 9-19-04 Flames H Exhibition --- - - 9-21-04 Kings A Exhibition --- - - 9-23-04 Red Wings A Exhibition --- - - 9-25-04 Senators H Exhibition --- - - 9-29-04 Canadiens H Exhibition --- - - 10-8-04 Flyers H NHL --- - - 10-10-04 Carolina A NHL --- - - 10-11-04 Thrashers A NHL --- - - 10-15-04 Sharks A NHL --- - - 10-18-04 Mighty Ducks A NHL --- - - 10-19-04 Coyotes A NHL --- - - 10-21-04 Wild A NHL --- - - 10-23-04 Capitals H NHL --- - - 10-25-04 Flyers A NHL --- - - 10-28-04 Sabres A NHL --- - - 10-30-04 Sabres H NHL --- - - 11-1-04 NY Rangers A NHL --- - - 11-6-04 Kings H NHL --- - - 11-8-04 Sharks H NHL --- - - 11-11-04 Canucks H NHL --- - - 11-14-04 Red Wings A NHL --- - - 11-15-04 Flames H NHL --- - - 11-19-04 Lightning A NHL --- - - 11-20-04 Panthers H NHL --- - - 11-22-04 NY Islanders A NHL --- - - 11-25-04 Blue Jackets A NHL --- - - 11-28-04 Blackhawks H NHL --- - - 11-30-04 Stars H NHL --- - - 12-3-04 Lightning A NHL --- - - 12-4-04 Senators H NHL --- - - 12-6-04 NY Islanders H NHL --- - - 12-8-04 Canadiens H NHL --- - - 12-10-04 Thrashers A NHL --- - - 12-11-04 Panthers A NHL --- - - 12-13-04 Canadiens A NHL --- - - 12-16-04 Sabres A NHL --- - - 12-18-04 Oilers H NHL --- - - 12-20-04 Capitals H NHL --- - - 12-22-04 Devils A NHL --- - - 12-23-04 Carolina H NHL --- - - 12-27-04 Carolina A NHL --- - - 12-29-04 Panthers A NHL --- - - 12-30-04 Canadiens H NHL --- - - 1-1-05 Senators H NHL --- - - 1-3-05 Penguins H NHL --- - - 1-7-05 Blues A NHL --- - - 1-8-05 NY Rangers H NHL --- - - 1-10-05 Blues H NHL --- - - 1-12-05 Bruins H NHL --- - - 1-15-05 Bruins A NHL --- - - 1-17-05 Canadiens A NHL --- - - 1-19-05 Devils H NHL --- - - 1-20-05 Devils A NHL --- - - 1-22-05 Bruins H NHL --- - - 1-24-05 Thrashers H NHL --- - - 1-27-05 Penguins A NHL --- - - 1-29-05 Penguins H NHL --- - - 1-31-05 Sabres A NHL --- - - 2-1-05 NY Rangers H NHL --- - - 2-2-05 Bruins A NHL --- - - 2-3-05 Lightning H NHL --- - - 2-10-05 NY Rangers A NHL --- - - 2-12-05 Canadiens A NHL --- - - 2-14-05 Nashville A NHL --- - - 2-17-05 Senators A NHL --- - - 2-19-05 NY Islanders A NHL --- - - 2-21-05 Capitals A NHL --- - - 2-23-05 Thrashers H NHL --- - - 2-24-05 Penguins A NHL --- - - 2-26-05 Sabres H NHL --- - - 2-28-05 NY Islanders H NHL --- - - 3-2-05 Senators A NHL --- - - 3-4-05 Devils H NHL --- - - 3-6-05 Lightning H NHL --- - - 3-9-05 Blackhawks A NHL --- - - 3-11-05 Bruins A NHL --- - - 3-13-05 Bruins H NHL --- - - 3-16-05 Senators A NHL --- - - 3-18-05 Colorado H NHL --- - - 3-20-05 Carolina H NHL --- - - 3-23-05 Canadiens H NHL --- - - 3-25-05 Senators H NHL --- - - 3-27-05 Sabres H NHL --- - - 3-30-05 Capitals A NHL --- - - 4-1-05 Panthers H NHL --- - - 4-3-05 Flyers H NHL --- - - 4-4-05 Flyers A NHL --- - -
LETS GO JAYS!!

Last edited by Joe Canadian : 06-10-2005 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It's nice to see that you can export some of these reports!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:15 PM   #23
sabotai
General Manager

Nice idea to have a post near the beginnign that is constantly update for roster, schedule, etc. information.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:22 PM   #24
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
It's nice to see that you can export some of these reports!

Not really... alot of those reports I either edited or made from scratch. The Team Report, is the Roster output manually re-aranged in order of depth... and the "status" column I put their myself. The Personnel output does not exist, I did that myself from scratch. And the e-mails I did myself as well...

Doing a dynasty with alot of information for people, is far from easy with EHM 2005.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #25
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Questions for everyone that is reading:

- Is there anything you'd like to see me add or expand on in terms of info, or dialy updates?
- Is there anything I should change, regarding the way I'm posting (ie. Daily updates, with e-mail first, comments, etc.)
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-09-2005, 12:33 AM   #26
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Monday, September 6, 2005

Quote:

Inbox - Monday, September 6, 2005

- Washington Capitals looking to aquire RW Milan Michalek from the San Jose Sharks in return for a veteran player
- Jaroslav Sklenar, a Leaf prospect, is getting offers from some European league teams
- Nashville Predators are looking to acquire Jochen Hect from the Buffalo Sabres, Sabres deny Hecht is being moved.

- Ass. Coach Paul Maurice rejects offers from LA, St. Louis, & San Jose, and signs with the Maple Leafs
- LW/RW Anson Carter accepts Toronto Maple Leafs offer
- LW/RW Paul Kariya rejects offer from Ottawa, and signs with Maple Leafs
- RW Alexei Kovalev agrees to terms with Toronto Maple Leafs

Monday morning brings a few trade rumours, that I have no use for. Michalek, and Hecht do not interest me, so I couldn't care less where they end up. Although I'd expect the Caps\Sharks rumour to come true since both teams seem to be on the same page over what to offer for Michalek, we'll see. Also one of my prospects, whom I have no plans for, got two offers from European teams... I own his rights, but no offer from me will be made.

The big news from the league centres around me three pick-ups, I now have my full coaching staff in place with Maurice signing a deal. As well Carter & Kariya sign deals, which helps shore up my situation on the wings. The disapointing thing is that when I go to check on my other offers, to see if any competition has arived I find that Osgood has two offers, strangely neither are from me, so I offer him one again... but I can't because he has apparently agreed to terms with the Canucks. No e-mail, nothing... I expected competition but not this. So off to plan B in goal... So I make offers to two goalies, why two? Well sitting down with Quinn, and the rest of the coaching staff we have decided that while an Osgood\Tellqvist tandem would have been acceptable, we don't see anyone else good enough to rely on in the advent Telq blows it in the pros. So we make the following offers:

G Corey Schwab - 2 years @ $1.6 Million/year
G Garth Snow - 1 year @ $1.5 Million/year

I never thought in a million years I'd being trying to hire Garth "Mr. Big Pads" Snow, but I have been left with very few options, and it's only for one year so I did it. The last bit of news presents me with a tough decision, Kovalev has accepted my offer but after thinking it over for awhile I'd rather have Demitra, so I ask him if we can delay the transfer for a week because of "fiscal considerations", suprisingly he seems to be okay with this.

While I'm in the office this mouring, I decide to go after a few more staff members. First is another coach, I'm not really sure I'm allowed to have another Assistant, but Billy Smith is avalible and he'd be a great pick up for a goalie coach. And I also go after a few more scouts, I'd like to have a staff of 15 and a few of my current scouts aren't up to par and will be let go.

Ass. Coach Billy Smith - 4 years @ $300,000/year
Scout Darrell May (Tri-City:WHL) - 4 years @ $65,000/year
Scout Doug Robinson (No Team) - 4 years @ $70,000/year
Scout Chirs Roberts (No Team) - 3 years @ $35,000/year
Scout Jeff Patrick (No Team) - 3 years @ $35,000/year

Tuesday I'm going to start sending my scouts around, and put together my shortlist. I'll also get around to asking Ass. GM to update his Team Report to reflect the signings of Carter & Kariya.

WORLD CUP RESULTS - Quarter Final

Czech Republic 3 @ Finland 1
LETS GO JAYS!!

Last edited by Joe Canadian : 06-09-2005 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:54 AM   #27
jbmagic
Pro Starter

great dynasty so far.

what is a shortlist?

thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 11:04 AM   #28
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
great dynasty so far.

what is a shortlist?

thanks

You can add players of interest to a list for scouting purposes, so for example I can add Heatley, Sakic, and Crosby to the same list so I can keep a close look at them instead of having to scout the Thrashers, Avs, and Oceanic individually... or having to go to those teams rosters to look at the players.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #29
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Questions for everyone that is reading:

- Is there anything you'd like to see me add or expand on in terms of info, or dialy updates?
- Is there anything I should change, regarding the way I'm posting (ie. Daily updates, with e-mail first, comments, etc.)

I think both are good so far.

One thought is updating us on some of the games top prospects like Phineauf, Crosby, Kessell (Is he in the game?), etc.

That'd be great. Not like often but every month game time or so if possible.

Other then that, keep up the great work.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not really... alot of those reports I either edited or made from scratch. The Team Report, is the Roster output manually re-aranged in order of depth... and the "status" column I put their myself. The Personnel output does not exist, I did that myself from scratch. And the e-mails I did myself as well...

Doing a dynasty with alot of information for people, is far from easy with EHM 2005.

Arghh! NOT what I wanted to hear.

I'll be playing tonight as it just came in.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:45 AM   #31
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
I think both are good so far.

One thought is updating us on some of the games top prospects like Phineauf, Crosby, Kessell (Is he in the game?), etc.

That'd be great. Not like often but every month game time or so if possible.

Other then that, keep up the great work.

That's a good idea, and I'll definitly be doing it... I'm also thinking about setting up a web page with all the NHL Teams output files, and I'll just add a link on my update post. That way if someone wants to check out the Blues, or Red Wings they can. I'm also going to add league standings to my update post too.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #32
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
That's a good idea, and I'll definitly be doing it... I'm also thinking about setting up a web page with all the NHL Teams output files, and I'll just add a link on my update post. That way if someone wants to check out the Blues, or Red Wings they can. I'm also going to add league standings to my update post too.

Excellent idea.

But disable the Blues link. No one in their right mind will click on it unless it was on accident.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:11 PM   #33
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Excellent idea.

But disable the Blues link. No one in their right mind will click on it unless it was on accident.

I think you meant Red Wings like.. you know, the red one.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:52 PM   #34
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I think you meant Red Wings like.. you know, the red one.

lol. well played.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:53 PM   #35
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Looks like Billy Smith could be an excellent pickup in your situation. Your goaltending situation could be so bad that they might need to learn how to viciously swing their stick along the ice at players who might be brave enough to have the puck behind the net.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:11 PM   #36
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Tuesday, September 7, 2005

Quote:
Inbox - Tuesday, September 7, 2005

- C Eric Lindros signs a 2 year deal worth $10.25 Million with the San Jose sharks
- Senators want to acquire LW Ziggy Pallfy
- Mighty Ducks sign Ass. Coach Curt Fraiser to a 4 year deal
- TRADE:
To Canadiens: RW Mike Johnson
To Coyotes: Rights to prospect Greg Stewart (LW)

Tuesday proves to be a very uneventfull day on the news front for the Toronto Maple Leafs. We do see a couple of interesting developments from around the league. First San Jose gets their man in Eric Lindros, to replace Ricci & Vinny D who they lost to the Coyotes & Avs respectivly. There were other centremen out there who were far less of an injury risk, but maybe the Sharks didn't take that int consideration, either way... my prediction is that Eric will play less than 45 games this season. We also see that the Seantors are looking to go after Pallfy, who as reported a few days ago has also been targeted by the Canadiens. I'm happy to let my two division mates go after the one guy, because one will obviously loose out and will be left with no one... excellent!! And finally the second trade of the season has been pulled off, this time seeing the Coyotes dumping Johnson to the Canadiens for a prospect. Bob Gainey, Montreal's GM, looks to be very serious about turning around the struglling storied franchise... with Johnson, and the possibility of Pallfy they look to be a legitmate playoff team this year.

Since I really need to get started at actual work, I've taken today to focus in on my scouts. I look over my current staff, and considering the offers I still have out there, I decide to fire Malarchuk, Palmateer, & Kovac. That leaves me with a staff of 11, wih four more spots for future signees... I also name Ross Mahoney (20A/20P) my Head Scout. As far as assignments go, I send my current guys out so they can get started, when my others sign I may re-arrange the assignments then, but for now here's how they look:

Code:
================================================ Scouting Assignments ================================================= Name Assignment --------------------------------------- Ross Mahoney (Head Scout) Shortlist Steve Richmond Shortlist Jim Cassidy Shortlist Barry Trapp NHL Entry Draft Dave Morrison NHL Entry Draft Mark Yannetti NHL Entry Draft Murray Oliver Next Opposition Thommie Bergman NHL Kim Barnstable Canada Nikolai Ladygin USA George Armstrong Floater - Toronto Maple Leafs

This is my basic scouting strategy, I'll have three guys on my shortlist at all times. And while I'm on the topic of my shortlist, I've went ahead and added all my unsigned prospects to it, and I'll be using this heavily in the future so many more players will be added in the future. The Entry Draft, as I've said, is an important part of my strategy so by sending three guys out now (reports in 3 months), I can get them to scout that area three times each before the actual draft. I should then have a handle on the majority of eligible draftees. Oliver is my advance scout, he has great "ability" ratings, but poor "potential" ratings so he's perfect for that role. I will be sending people to Europe when I get more scouts, but for now the rest are dedicated to other NHL teams, Canada, and the US. My "Floater" scout will be assigned specific teams to scout throughout the year... first up is my team so I can have a valid scouting report on them, then it'll be my AHL team, then who knows...

Canada 4 @ Slovakia 3
Sweden 6 @ Germany 0
LETS GO JAYS!!

Last edited by Joe Canadian : 06-10-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #37
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

At the rate I'm going this is turning out to be a real time dynasty , but once camp ends and we get into the end of the preseason games and the regular season I'll stick to weekly updates.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #38
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Senators going after Kariya and Palffy, a pair of soft wingers who don't like the physical game and have never won anything.

Yep, sounds like a realistic sim!
Old 06-10-2005, 06:02 PM   #39
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Senators going after Kariya and Palffy, a pair of soft wingers who don't like the physical game and have never won anything.

Yep, sounds like a realistic sim!

To tell you the truth the way I see it, my Leafs are going to move toward a soft team by the end of this year, and maybe all of next. I don't invision us winning anything, but the current crop of PF's out there aren't what I'm looking for... and I'm not really big on Nolan.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-10-2005, 06:27 PM   #40
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Joe

you plan to coach the game yourself or you going to let your head coach do it and handle the lineup and tactics?

great dynasty.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:38 PM   #41
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
My "Floater" scout will be assigned specific teams to scout throughout the year... first up is my team so I can have a valid scouting report on them, then it'll be my AHL team, then who knows...

Are you getting any feedback "scouting reports" on your own team when you assign him to scout it??? I tried this and have yet to get any scouting reports with the gold demo and was curious if this is changed for the retail version??? I would love to have all of the information that the scouts provide on other players for my own team!
BigDPW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:13 PM   #42
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Joe

you plan to coach the game yourself or you going to let your head coach do it and handle the lineup and tactics?

great dynasty.

Thanks. And as far as coaching I'm not really sure, I don't like the coach having control of my lines, but I don't like doing the tactics... but as far as I know you can't do one without the other... that's my biggest gripe with the game, well besides the lack of txt outputs. I think I'll let the Coach's handle it for the preseason, and re-evaluate it afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW
Are you getting any feedback "scouting reports" on your own team when you assign him to scout it??? I tried this and have yet to get any scouting reports with the gold demo and was curious if this is changed for the retail version??? I would love to have all of the information that the scouts provide on other players for my own team!

I'm not sure if they "recommend" players, meaning I don't know if you'll get an e-mail on them... but they do fill out the scouting page in the players screen. Personally I think this should be the Ass. GM's responsibility... if he's already doing the Roster/Prospect report, than why isn't he giving you a scouting report???
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #43
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Joe

actually you can let the head coach do the coaching for you.

and you can say yes or no to use current tactics.
and there a use current lineup too.

so there seperate in general manager option.

i also see use current team selctions too. i am not sure what that does. do you?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:57 PM   #44
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Wednesday, September 8, 2005

Quote:

Inbox - Wednesday, September 8, 2005

- Billy Smith offered a scouting role with the LA Kings
- C\RW Pavol Demitra recived offer from the St. Louis Blues
- Senators make an official offer to LW Ziggy Palffy
- TRADE:
To Capitals: RW Milan Michalek
To Coyotes: C/LW Darcy Verot, C/RW Jakub Klepis, the rights to LD Oscar Hedman

Smith is offered a scouting role with the Kings, I see no need to increase our offer since he wants to be an Ass. Coach above a scout, so I believe we are the favourites at this point. Demitra gets an offer to stay in St. Louis, we always have Kovalev to fall back on in case he does decide to turn down our offer. In other news we see the rumors about Michalek heading to Washigton come true, and the Senators following through with their interest in Palffy.

I've went out and made a few trade proposals to some teams just to guage interest, no serious discusions so there isn't anything worthy of reporting... plus I made like 30 inquiries so it would take to long. Thursday is the first day of traing camp...

Russia 6 @ USA 4

---------------------------

Thursday, September 9, 2005

Quote:

Inbox - Thursday, September 9, 2005

- G Garth Snow gets contract offer from the NJ Devils
- Billy Smith gets scouting offer from the Chicago Blackhawks

- Scout Darrell May agrees to terms with the Toronto Maple Leafs
- Scout Chris Roberts signs contract with Toronto Maple Leafs
- G Corey Schwab signs deal with Leafs

Billy Smith gets another offer to be a scout, so I look at his scouting skills and am suprosed to see they are pretty average 15A/13P, there are a lot of better scouts on the market but for some reason Smith is getting the offers. I'm still convinced the Ass. Coach offer from me is the best so far. The Devils give Snow an offer to be Brodeur's backup, hopefully he'll realize that if he comes to Toronto he'll get to start 30 games! Oh god I'm in trouble...

Closer to home we sign scouts May & Roberts, I'll meet with them to give them their assignments on Friday. And we finally sign a goalie in Schwab, so I feel a bit better... if worse comes to worse and we don't get Snow at least a Schwab\Telqvist tandem is better than nothing, I think. The sad thing is even when Eddie returns, we really don't know if he'll be the Eddie of old, or just an old Eddie.

We'll run our fitness tests at camp today and see how the guys did over the Summer. Oh, and before I forget we have around 50 guys at camp this year... including 8 tryouts, none of which look very promising. I might invite Steen over as well... So since we have such a high number, I've decided to ice 4 Camp Teams instead of the normal 2.

-----------

Stay tuned, because one of those "pointless" inquiries I made might have payed off... and my future goalie situation may be improving!!
LETS GO JAYS!!

Last edited by Joe Canadian : 06-11-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:59 PM   #45
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Joe

actually you can let the head coach do the coaching for you.

and you can say yes or no to use current tactics.
and there a use current lineup too.

so there seperate in general manager option.

i also see use current team selctions too. i am not sure what that does. do you?

Cool, I never noticed that there before. I'll definitly take advantage of it... Thanks for the info!!
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-11-2005, 11:58 PM   #46
Izulde
Head Coach

Since I've been voraciously reading this dynasty, I figured I'd drop in and say you've got a really nice thing going here and I love the more or less custom charts you've designed.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:00 AM   #47
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ahhh.. hockey is in the air.