Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-25-2004, 09:30 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

The Life Aquatic - reviews

Saw this movie today... I wasn't fully prepared, I guess. I enjoyed Rushmore some years ago, but didn't see The Royal Tenenbaums, and don't think I had the proper mindest today for a very quirky Wes Anderson flick.

I know that people have varied reactions to Tenenbaums, as in "best movie of the year" and "worst movie of the year" from seemingly reasonable people. After seeing this, I can understand why,

Characters are interesting, a number of specific scenes are hilarious, and there are any number of individual things that I really liked -- but on the whole, it never really came together for me. I honestly don't know whether I give the movie a B+ or a D.

Have to think on it a bit more, but my first read is: I'm disappointed.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I got to see it a few weeks ago (http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/f...ad.php?t=33007).

I prepared myself for the worst, but came out pleasently surprised. It may be a matter of expectations.

I'll also admit I'm a huge Wes Anderson fan, and would easily list both Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums among my Top 10 all-time favorite movies. So take my opinion for what it's worth.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 09:43 PM   #3
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I loved The Royal Tenenbaums - thought it was absolutely amazing- but out of a group of 12 who watched it (family thing) me and my 14 year old cousin were the only one's who thought it was amazing. I've been looking forward to Life Aquatic - Murray post Lost in Translation has a fair deal of credibility with me.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 09:45 PM   #4
Buccaneer
Head Coach

-$35
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 10:04 PM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'm another one who LOVED 'Tenenbaums'. One of my Top 5 movies of all time. So I think I may like this one . I like the quirky humor stuff.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:34 PM   #6
Daimyo
College Starter

I went today with my wife and two of her friends. I thought it was really, really good. My wife said it was the worst movie she could remember and one of her friends wanted to leave with 30 minutes left. The other friend didn't really like it either. *shurg*
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 06:45 AM   #7
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I skipped Rushmore in the theatres because I got the vibe that it was a horrible. Rented it and found I had missed a real solid movie. I went into the royal tannenbaum's hoping to see something as good as Rushmore and was left in-the-lurch.

I thought the RTs had its moments and I liked the style (cinematograhpy or whatnot) of the film and I'm a big fan of the Wilson brothers and Gene Hackman is one the greatest actors of all time. I really think Bill Murray's later years are his best as well.

However, there was something missing in it and I seem to be the only human alive that doesn't care for Ben Stiller. Don't get me wrong, I think Ben has his moments, but his role in the Tannenbaum's seemed too forced to me.

I am hoping The Life Aquatic is worth the DVD purchase later (i rarely go to theatre these days) and this thread seems indicative of these sorts of movies; split.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 01:33 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I LOVED the Life Aquatic. I am more of a Dark Comedy kind of guy so this was right up my ally.

Jeff Goldblum in this movie is amazing.

SPOILER KIND OF ALERT

Am I the only one who about died laughing when Goldblum slaps the shit out of the three-legged dog?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:05 PM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

Bizarre movie
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:00 AM   #10
timmynausea
College Starter

I'm pretty much right with cthomer5000 in that I am a huge Wes Anderson fan and I basically expected the Life Aquatic to be bad based on the rumors and the general vibe coming from everyone around the movie. I was also pleasantly surprised, although from the perspective of the part of me that has been looking forward to this since I found out that Wes was working on a script about an oceanographer shortly after the Tenenbaums came out I was disappointed.
To me the ending came really abruptly. I didn't feel like all the details were orchestrated to fit the themes as well as they were in Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums. On top of that it was possibly the least funny of Anderson's movies. There were funny moments, but they seemed to come a lot less often than in all of his previous work. More than anything, though, it was another huge ensemble of characters like RT, but it didn't have any kind of narrarator, and I felt like because of that I didn't get to know any of the characters very well (aside from Zissou, I suppose.) I guess that's why the end seemed abrupt.
In any case, it is among the best movies I've seen this year. I'd say it is a slight step back from the Royal Tenenbaums in a few ways, though.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:19 AM   #11
Subby
lolzcat

Rushmore is probably one of my Top 50 all time favorite flicks - Bottle Rocket is probably Top 250. I liked Royal Tenenbaums, and there were some just priceless moments (like when Royal gets stabbed), but overall just had the "this had all the elements but should have been better" feel to it.

I am really looking forward to The Life Aquatic - I don't think you could possibly go wrong with that cast.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:34 PM   #12
korme
Go Reds

Just got around to watching this - good flick, I didn't think it was as funny as I expected but it was in some aspects. Worth the rental.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:48 PM   #13
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

I'm a big fan of Rushmore and a slightly-less enthusiastic fan of The Royal Tenenbaums. Dig the Wes Anderson aesthetic. But Life Aquatic felt flawed to me, and I was pretty disappointed in it. A mark of my disappointment might be that after a buddy and I saw it we argued about the film for a couple of hours afterwards, and that was about all it needed for me...can't even muster the enthusiasm to take it apart for its sins again. Hopefully his next one gets back the magic.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:50 PM   #14
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I like Wes Anderson movies, but his films are heavily character-driven and very light on plot. People who need a strong story to stay interested are going to hate his movies. The guy just basically puts his oddball characters on screen for 90 minutes and says "enjoy." Not everybody's cup of tea.

Bottle Rocket's still my favorite.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:50 PM   #15
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

This movie has probably only improved on repeated viewings for me - as have all Wes Anderson movies. I've already watched it twice on DVD (that i got for free... hooray!).
Old 05-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #16
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
Hopefully his next one gets back the magic.

The next one is a stop-motion adaption of Roald Dahl's The Fantastic Mr. Fox.
It should be interesting, at the very least.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:54 PM   #17
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Rented it this week and fell asleep halfway thru. Started it back up the following evening and made it about 20 more minutes than before. As an insomniac, Im starting to appreciate this film.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:32 PM   #18
korme
Go Reds

I laughed a lot more the second time through.

Steve, are you saving me? Fold.

Also, when moving out of the dorms, I found the movie just sitting there. No one in the room owns it, so I figured since I was last to move out I would get a free DVD. This is fair because some guy stole my Don't Be A Menace DVD. Tough times in Fairborn.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #19
Raven
College Prospect

This movie sucked ass.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:18 PM   #20
Schmidty
Coordinator

I loved this movie.

"Rushmore" is in my top 3 of all-time, but I didn't dig "Tenenbaums" at all.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:20 PM   #21
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
This movie sucked ass.

Go back to your bar. Doesn't Paris need another Long Island?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:36 PM   #22
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It was definitely an understated movie. Like has been mentioned before, it is definitely character driven, not plot driven. It's not everyone's cup-o-tea, but I enjoyed it. I think it will merit subsequent viewings to fully appreciate it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:42 PM   #23
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Rushmore is probably one of my Top 50 all time favorite flicks - Bottle Rocket is probably Top 250. I liked Royal Tenenbaums, and there were some just priceless moments (like when Royal gets stabbed), but overall just had the "this had all the elements but should have been better" feel to it.

I am really looking forward to The Life Aquatic - I don't think you could possibly go wrong with that cast.

Rushmore is definitely top 250, minimum. I rank it ahead of Bachelor Party, but behind European Vacation.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:54 PM   #24
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

To me I think a lot of the problem is how the movies are perceived. At their core, I don't think any of Wes Anderson's movies are comedies - but they are certainly viewed and graded as such.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:29 PM   #25
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B
Rented it this week and fell asleep halfway thru. Started it back up the following evening and made it about 20 more minutes than before. As an insomniac, Im starting to appreciate this film.
I love this review. Dead on for me.

It took me 2 days to watch this movie. I kept thinking that it would eventually get better. Then the movie ended?
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:20 PM   #26
timmynausea
College Starter

The Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore are two of my favorites. I guess if I was forced to pick a favorite I'd have to go with Tenenbaums.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:01 PM   #27
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
I love this review. Dead on for me.

It took me 2 days to watch this movie. I kept thinking that it would eventually get better. Then the movie ended?

You're a Vin Diesel fan, aren't you?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:42 AM   #28
Raven
College Prospect

Quote:
I kept thinking that it would eventually get better. Then the movie ended?

Bingo. I watched about 30 minutes and didn't think it was going anywhere. I gave it another 30 minutes, and then decided I wasn't going to waste any more of my time. Didn't even finish watching it (which is very rare for me) because it did nothing for me.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:52 AM   #29
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Bingo. I watched about 30 minutes and didn't think it was going anywhere. I gave it another 30 minutes, and then decided I wasn't going to waste any more of my time. Didn't even finish watching it (which is very rare for me) because it did nothing for me.

You're scared of me, aren't you. That's why you quit the leagues. I get it.

That's cool. Hope you're doing well.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:35 AM   #30
AgustusM
College Prospect

I found it amusing but not great - my wife hated it and started reading a book half way through.

I thought the Filipino gang was funny, but that might be because half my friends are Filipino.

was it just me or did anyone else find the "leopard-shark" just absurdly stupid and not in a funny way, but in just a really stupid way.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:36 AM   #31
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
I don't know what this means, but I am sure it is supposed to be a shot of some sort.

Vin Diesel....
I liked Boiler Room.
I liked Pitch Black
I liked Knock Around Guys.
So, I guess I may be a Vin Diesel fan, buy what does this have to do with anything?

Back to the movie. It reminded me a lot of A Mighty Wind. You just kept thinking that the movie had to get better at some point. I really enjoyed Best in Show and liked The Royal Tenenbaums, but The Life Aquatic and A Might Wind both were both a total miss for me. After both of these movies ended, I thought to myself, "Well that is 2 hours of my life I will never get back".

Last edited by WrongWay : 06-10-2005 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:42 AM   #32
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM
was it just me or did anyone else find the "leopard-shark" just absurdly stupid and not in a funny way, but in just a really stupid way.

It was absurd, and it was supposed to be absurd. All the creatrues were done with clay-mation, quite clearly intenionally looking fake. Honestly, it has so little to do with what the movie is about that i can't imagine letting it bother me. It was a weird choice by Wes Anderson to be sure, but nothing that could spoil the movie for me.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #33
chinaski
College Prospect

Saw it a month or so ago, i thought it was brilliant. Maybe I had low expectations or something, so it seemed overly great? I cant remember the last time a movie completely satisified me. I cant wait to watch it again actually.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #34
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Haha, Schmidty's awesome
Old 06-10-2005, 11:32 AM   #35
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM
I found it amusing but not great - my wife hated it and started reading a book half way through.

I thought the Filipino gang was funny, but that might be because half my friends are Filipino.

I didn't think the cough Jaguar Shark was funny, but it was cool nonetheless.. big moment wise. I liked that part alot.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:50 PM   #36
Raven
College Prospect

Quote:
You're scared of me, aren't you. That's why you quit the leagues. I get it.

That's cool. Hope you're doing well.

What the fuck are you talking about? I <3 you.

I do miss the competition of both leagues, but was tired of OOTP6. It just got to be old hat, I guess. When the next version comes out, hopefully it will renew my interest in the game. Until then, I'll be concentrating on finishing school, and hopefully be on my way to writing my own game.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:14 AM   #37
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
What the fuck are you talking about? I <3 you.

I do miss the competition of both leagues, but was tired of OOTP6. It just got to be old hat, I guess. When the next version comes out, hopefully it will renew my interest in the game. Until then, I'll be concentrating on finishing school, and hopefully be on my way to writing my own game.

Well, I'd much rather have you back in my division instead of Smolen. Hopefully I'll see you around when the new OOTP comes out next year.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:50 AM   #38
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Vin Diesel....
I liked Boiler Room.
I liked Pitch Black
I liked Knock Around Guys.
So, I guess I may be a Vin Diesel fan, buy what does this have to do with anything?
Schmitty, are you going to explain your Vin Diesel comment or what?

And yes I still think that the Life Aquatic was pretty Schmitty.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:07 AM   #39
Raven
College Prospect

Quote:
Schmitty, are you going to explain your Vin Diesel comment or what?

I think he meant lots of explosions and shit (not necessarily literally a Vin Diesel fan). You know, dumbed down plot lines where 70% of the movie is either fighting, gun shooting, or something getting blown up.

I could be wrong, but that was my interpretation.

Last edited by Raven : 06-12-2005 at 01:08 AM.