Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Judge sentences O.J. Simpson to prison

At least 15 years.... justice is finally served! See you in hell OJ

hxxp://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/12/judge-set-to-se.html?loc=interstitialskip

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 12-05-2008 at 12:30 PM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Awesome. I hope he never gets out.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

He'll be up for parole in five. He'll be out in five.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

So much hate for the man. I will never understand why some of you hate him so much.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
So much hate for the man. I will never understand why some of you hate him so much.

Because some of us believe he got away with murdering 2 people.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Because he got away with murdering 2 people, perhaps?

Edit: Damn you, EF27!

Last edited by Kodos : 12-05-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Interesting I wonder why he wasn't found guilty if you all are so certain he did it.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
GrantDawg

Quote:
Interesting I wonder why he wasn't found guilty if you all are so certain he did it.

Were you old enough to watch that travesty of a trial? The guy all but admitted he did it when he wrote that book.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I have a feeling I'll regret asking this, but do you feel that the cops didn't commit a crime in beating Rodney King because they were acquitted?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Because the criminal justice system isn't perfect. Heck, I loved the guy before he in all probability killed two people, as he is one of the greatest football players USC ever has had. However, the trial certainly didn't convince me he was innocent, nor did his wonderful book, "If I did it" or whatever it was called.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Was not old enough to remember the Rodney King stuff and also never saw the video. Only think i remember about O.J. is my teacher making us listen on the radio to the verdict. She was pissed and I was confused.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
There was an interesting piece written that placed the killings on O.J.'s son. The condensed version was O.J. got a message from his son that he was going to do something bad to Nicole. So O.J. rushed over, but the two had already been killed by the time he got there.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
sabotai
General Manager

The trial was an absolute joke. I wasn't pissed when the verdict came in because I knew months before they finished the trial that there was no way they could get a conviction. From the judge to the prosecutors to the police who conducted the investigation, the whole thing was just completely botched by everyone from the start.

But if we are using just the results of trials, it should be noted that O.J. is 1-1 on the trials regarding his alleged murders.

Last edited by sabotai : 12-05-2008 at 01:34 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm not so sure he gets out in 5.

He is going to do time for killing his wife and Goldman. Which in my opinion he did.

I hope he gets stabbed in prison and gets what he deserves. The only shame is he can't be murdered twice.

Last edited by Lathum : 12-05-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I know you are to young to remember, but for my generation it will go down as THE trial of the century. And not in a good way. The amount of media coverage was beyond anything you could comprehend and the whole trial turned into a joke. For me what was worse was the way he and his lawyers were so smug about it. His coming out with that book was a travesty.

I actually think it is probably a good thing he was found innocent. Had he been found guilty the riots that would have ensued would have been worse then Rodney King.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #16
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

lol@ ESPN with their "breaking news" of this. They interrupted one pile of garbage (First Take) with another pile of garbage (OJ).
Old 12-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
He'll be up for parole in five. He'll be out in five.

Article I read says he won't be eligible for 9'ish.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #18
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Article I read says he won't be eligible for 9'ish.

Yeah, that's the reports now. The talking heads earlier were saying 5.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #19
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Yeah it has been changed to up to 33 with parole in 9. Interesting.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #20
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
Yeah it has been changed to up to 33 with parole in 9. Interesting.

Yeah, it's confusing. max sentence of 33, minimum of 15, with parole no sooner than 9.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #21
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

It is amazing how many coke fiends are murdered without people vehemently wishing multiple deaths upon the accused.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #22
Edward64
Head Coach

I saw the trial. The glove did not fit and there did not seem to be enough blood evidence in his car.

But yeah, he probably did it.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #23
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I saw the trial. The glove did not fit and there did not seem to be enough blood evidence in his car.

Gloves have a way of shrinking when they're drenched with blood and then kept in a freezer as evidence.

Most importantly, Mark Fuhrman used the n-word in 1986. That's why OJ was acquitted. That was a worse crime to that jury than double murder.

Last edited by molson : 12-05-2008 at 07:02 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #24
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Reason to hate OJ? Don't forget a defense team that very, very few would be able to get. Maybe Noop is angling to be one of those celebrity lawyers since The Trial was a mockery. Hopefully future lawyers will learn from that.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #25
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Reason to hate OJ? Don't forget a defense team that very, very few would be able to get. Maybe Noop is angling to be one of those celebrity lawyers since The Trial was a mockery. Hopefully future lawyers will learn from that.

For which side? The prosecution or the defense?

I am pretty sure this trial was exhibit #1 for defense attorneys on how to take advantage of an overmatched prosecution team.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
It is amazing how many coke fiends are murdered without people vehemently wishing multiple deaths upon the accused.

Are you saying Goldman and Mrs Simpson got what they deserved? If you are that is beyond ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

The fact that he hightailed it down the freeway in said car should have been enough.

Innocent people don't run, they wonder WTF is going on.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #27
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Are you saying Goldman and Mrs Simpson got what they deserved? If you are that is beyond ignorant.

No... just pointing out that Nicole has been practically turned into Mother Teresa. In reality, you had a woman who most of us wouldn't have put up with, let alone paid $50,000/week to her coke dealers. Mix in that O.J. had a temper... I think it's likely that O.J. did it, but still think there is a slight chance he didn't, but knew who did and was keeping his mouth shut for whatever reason.

It's a f*cked up situation all around with a whole bunch of weirdoes (Kato anyone?) living on the fame and fortune of one guy who whether he did it or not has a serious attitude problem.

I just think this would happen to be a minor footnote in history if his wife hadn't been a smoking hot blond (who was white,) and he hadn't been arguably the most famous former athlete turned actor (who is black.)

Way too much attention.

But really, congratulations to everyone who feels they gained a personal victory today. See you in nine years when he is paroled and you can continue to pray for his inevitable death, and lament that he was not found on a prison floor gutted like a swine. (Or if you get your wish, I hope you can go outside and breathe a full, glorious breath of contentment.)

We live in a sick world.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

We live in a sick world.

your correct about that. It doesn't matter is she was green, he killed 2 people and got away with it, then was dumb enough to be beyond smug about it, then even dumber to get into more trouble.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:00 AM   #29
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I just think this would happen to be a minor footnote in history if his wife hadn't been a smoking hot blond (who was white,) and he hadn't been arguably the most famous former athlete turned actor (who is black.)

Way too much attention.

Yes, it'd be a footnote if the murderer wasn't a Hall of Fame Football player, that's not any kind of statement on society.

We react the murders we have some kind of connection to - when it's a family member, a friend, a co-worker, or in modern times, celebrities, someone we've heard of and known of our whole lives. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong about that. If I hear "Jack Johnson murdered his wife and kids", sure, I hate whoever the hell "Jack Johnson" is, but I hate him MORE if I know his face, know his voice, or were familiar in any way with his victims, because all of that makes it more REAL to us.

It's why a murder in Austria isn't front page news is Cleveland, but a murder in Cleveland certainly would be. That's not something wrong with humanity, we just care more if it has something to do with us.

Last edited by molson : 12-06-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #30
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Yes, it'd be a footnote if the murderer wasn't a Hall of Fame Football player, that's not any kind of statement on society.

We react the murders we have some kind of connection to - when it's a family member, a friend, a co-worker, or in modern times, celebrities, someone we've heard of and known of our whole lives. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong about that. If I hear "Jack Johnson murdered his wife and kids", sure, I hate whoever the hell "Jack Johnson" is, but I hate him MORE if I know his face, know his voice, or were familiar in any way with his victims, because all of that makes it more REAL to us.

It's why a murder in Austria isn't front page news is Cleveland, but a murder in Cleveland certainly would be. That's not something wrong with humanity, we just care more if it has something to do with us.

I was upset by the Simpson thing for just this reason. He was someone in the celebrity realm I knew and liked, and he proved to be just pure evil. What his wife looked like had nothing to do with it (heck, I still couldn't pick her picture out of a line up), nor the color of his skin. It would be Joe Montana butchering two people in cold blood. And I can't imagine I'd act any differently (until Simpson took the runner, I really didn't think he did it).
Old 12-06-2008, 07:52 AM   #31
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I'm 100% sure that, all other things being equal, I would feel the same if OJ had been white and Nicole black. It doesn't matter that she was using cocaine, that doesn't mean her murder is any less shocking. The fact that people are upset at a man committing murder and getting away with it gets twisted into accusations of racism makes me think we live in a sick world.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #32
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I don't understand.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:23 AM   #33
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
No... just pointing out that Nicole has been practically turned into Mother Teresa. In reality, you had a woman who most of us wouldn't have put up with, let alone paid $50,000/week to her coke dealers. Mix in that O.J. had a temper... I think it's likely that O.J. did it, but still think there is a slight chance he didn't, but knew who did and was keeping his mouth shut for whatever reason.

It's a f*cked up situation all around with a whole bunch of weirdoes (Kato anyone?) living on the fame and fortune of one guy who whether he did it or not has a serious attitude problem.

Way too much attention.

But really, congratulations to everyone who feels they gained a personal victory today. See you in nine years when he is paroled and you can continue to pray for his inevitable death, and lament that he was not found on a prison floor gutted like a swine. (Or if you get your wish, I hope you can go outside and breathe a full, glorious breath of contentment.)

We live in a sick world.

I find most of your post bewildering, M. But the bolded part I agree with, to an extent. Remember the Beretta wife killing, it didn't rise to the level of the OJ trial by any means, but it did get a lot of coverage.

What you have to understand about OJ, though, is that he was like pre-Michael Jordan. Everybody liked the guy, a ridiculously talented athlete, in-demand pitchman, funny and articulate on screen. Add in Nicole's smoking-hot blondeness, and BAM media circus beyond anything we'd ever seen before.

RIP
Old 12-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #34
GrantDawg

I need to read up on this difference in reports on when he is up for parole. The judge actually says "at least 15 and eligible for parole in 5" when she reads the sentence.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #35
Crim
College Benchwarmer

I meant to add this yesterday but forgot:

OJ Simpson: Not a Jew!
But guess who is, hall-of-famer Rod Carew

RIP
Old 12-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #36
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
I find most of your post bewildering, M. But the bolded part I agree with, to an extent. Remember the Beretta wife killing, it didn't rise to the level of the OJ trial by any means, but it did get a lot of coverage.

Remember the Phil Spector trial? Brings a woman home, shoots her and says she commited suicide. Hung jury. He got away with it. Where's the outrage?

To try and say race doesn't enter the picture with OJ seems really, really naive considering both of these cases. People just don't like to admit it but they really don't get their panties in a bunch over a white murderer getting away with it but a black one they hold the deepest hate for. Hmmm.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #37
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post

To try and say race doesn't enter the picture with OJ seems really, really naive considering both of these cases. People just don't like to admit it but they really don't get their panties in a bunch over a white murderer getting away with it but a black one they hold the deepest hate for. Hmmm.

Or you can flip it and say the black community was happy for OJ because he got away with murdering a white woman.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #38
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Or you can flip it and say the black community was happy for OJ because he got away with murdering a white woman.

Hmm, I did say "To try and say race doesn't enter the picture with OJ seems really, really naive."

Flipping it really just reinforces that the issue was race. Doesn't matter which one is supposedly acting racist since I'd expect whites to blame the black community and the black one to blame the white one. The OJ case was a referendum on race in America far more than it was about a particular double murder.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #39
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Remember the Phil Spector trial? Brings a woman home, shoots her and says she commited suicide. Hung jury. He got away with it. Where's the outrage?

OJ Simpson's way more famous than Phil Spector (or Robert Blake). There's PLENTY of other black murderers in the US that people don't "get their panties in a bunch over", because nobody's heard of them.

But maybe you're right, maybe we're all racist because we speak out against OJ on a message board. Hey, at least there wasn't a riot.

Last edited by molson : 12-07-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #40
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
OJ Simpson's way more famous than Phil Spector (or Robert Blake). There's PLENTY of other black murderers in the US that people don't "get their panties in a bunch over", because nobody's heard of them.

But maybe you're right, maybe we're all racist because we speak out against OJ on a message board. Hey, at least there wasn't a riot.

OJ more famous than Phil Spector? Not a chance. Phil is extremely famous in the music industry. Of course, I guess since he didn't run a football that doesn't count.

Spector is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Rolling Stone rated him the 63rd Greatest Artist of All Time. He cowrote and produced the song with the most U.S. air play in the 20th century. I'm banking he has earned far more wealth from his career than OJ has as well.

It seems a bit dishonest to overlook his celebrity to try and justify the different reactions when a white celebrity kills than when a black one does.

Last edited by Axxon : 12-07-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #41
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OJ more famous than Phil Spector? Not a chance. Phil is extremely famous in the music industry. Of course, I guess since he didn't run a football that doesn't count.

Raise your hand if you're "in the music industry."

(counts hands)

Okay, raise your hands if you follow college football...follow pro football...follow movies like Naked Gun...watch TV and see commercials...

(counts hands)

(counts hands)

(counts hands)

Better go take a break, this could take a while...

Honestly, are you saying that today's populace are going to care a wit about Phil Spector as much as OJ Simpson or as much as 1994-5's about OJ Simpson?

Come on, man, there's stretching things to make a point, but that's borderline ridiculous.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #42
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Raise your hand if you're "in the music industry."

(counts hands)

Okay, raise your hands if you follow college football...follow pro football...follow movies like Naked Gun...watch TV and see commercials...

(counts hands)

(counts hands)

(counts hands)

Honestly, are you saying that today's populace are going to care a wit about Phil Spector as much as OJ Simpson or as much as 1994-5's about OJ Simpson?

Come on, man, there's stretching things to make a point, but that's borderline ridiculous.

Gotcha, sports celebrities are the only celebrities that are real celebrities. You conveniently twist the argument from "in the music industry" to "watches football and sees crappy movies." Nice.

Now, how many people have seen the Naked Gun movies vs the people who've heard Phil Spector's work? I'm betting Spector wins. I'm not a musician and I sure as hell knew who he was when the news of his arrest broke. Can't help it if you hadn't. I know we have no way to prove either way but everybody I knew didn't ask 'who?' when the news broke.

By your logic, Merlin Olson is a bigger celebrity than Steven Spielberg.

I mean, how many people work in the movie industry?

( counts hands )

Okay, raise your hands if you follow college football...follow pro football...follow TV shows like Little House on the Prarie..watch TV and see commercials...

(counts hands)

(counts hands)

(counts hands)

Last edited by Axxon : 12-07-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #43
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gotcha, sports celebrities are the only celebrities that are real celebrities. You conveniently twist the argument from "in the music industry" to "watches football and sees crappy movies." Nice.

Now, how many people have seen the Naked Gun movies vs the people who've heard Phil Spector's work? I'm betting Spector wins. I'm not a musician and I sure as hell knew who he was when the news of his arrest broke. Can't help it if you hadn't. I know we have no way to prove either way but everybody I knew didn't ask 'who?' when the news broke.

By your logic, Merlin Olson is a bigger celebrity than Steven Spielberg.

I mean, how many people work in the movie industry?

( counts hands )

Okay, raise your hands if you follow college football...follow pro football...follow TV shows like Little House on the Prarie..watch TV and see commercials...

(counts hands)

(counts hands)

(counts hands)

So you can't see the big difference between OJ Simpson to the general public in 1994 (pre-Bronco chase), and Phil Spector in 2008?

If so, there is really no point, IMO, of even couting your opinion in this discussion because it is obvious you're not in touch with the realities of this situation.

You realize Phil Spector was never a performer right?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #44
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
So you can't see the big difference between OJ Simpson to the general public in 1994 (pre-Bronco chase), and Phil Spector in 2008?

If so, there is really no point, IMO, of even couting your opinion in this discussion because it is obvious you're not in touch with the realities of this situation.

You realize Phil Spector was never a performer right?

I do challenge it and it'd be just as easy to consider you the one out of touch. Let's face it Rum. you do realize that Spielberg was never a performer, right? So, like I said, using your logic, Olson is more famous than Spielberg. It's not true of course and more people are music fans than sports fans. If you're trying to say OJ is more famous on a football board I'd agree but to the general public, pre the super trial, OJ had at best a reputation for being the guy in the Naked Gun movies. B list celebrity at best if you're not a football fan.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I do challenge it and it'd be just as easy to consider you the one out of touch. Let's face it Rum. you do realize that Spielberg was never a performer, right? So, like I said, using your logic, Olson is more famous than Spielberg. It's not true of course and more people are music fans than sports fans. If you're trying to say OJ is more famous on a football board I'd agree but to the general public, pre the super trial, OJ had at best a reputation for being the guy in the Naked Gun movies. B list celebrity at best if you're not a football fan.

Just curious how old you are?

OJ was a big celebrity before the Bronco chase, he was in a ton of endorsments, etc...
Old 12-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #46
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just curious how old you are?

OJ was a big celebrity before the Bronco chase, he was in a ton of endorsments, etc...

I'm 45 and I full well know both people well. Carrot Top was full of endorsements too but no one considered him the biggest star ever. OJ was a B list celebrity who was TRYING to break into acting and just had a lucky run as a supporting character in a successful franchise but he was NEVER considered the big star of the series or was a candidate for his own film even.

He just wasn't that famous. He was current curiosity at best. Unless you were a football fan. He's like The Rock or Roddy Piper. They hit a few good movies but outside of wrestling fans, no one would call them huge stars.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #47
Buccaneer
Head Coach

This is so mind-boggling ludicrous. Spector was a behind-the-scenes guy that nearly no one has heard of (they know the music he produced but that's it). Even during the late 1960s, OJ was still more famous to the general population. And that fame only increased through the subsequent decades, while nearly no one still have not heard of Spector.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #48
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Directors and producers of movies, especially a long stretch of good ones like Spielberg did, get a lot more pub than similar music producers, and especially more recently (in the last 20 years).

Spector's pinnacle work was in the 60s. After that, he becomes a name people might have heard of, but that's about it.

I'm not saying OJ was putting up quality work, but those Naked Gun movies were popular, sports celebrities are well known even after they leave the field, and those Hertz commercials were everywhere for a while.

Sorry, I'm not accepting that a behind the scenes operator like Spector, even as one of the best ever, who did his most famous work in 60s and never once performed on a stage or had a hit he himself performed, had anything near comparable of a Q rating prior to the events discussed in his murder case in 2003 of what OJ had prior to the Bronco chase.

This is a man who was a recluse for the some 30 years prior, and who severely limited his work after his 1974 accident. He is very much "music industry" famous, as I suggest, while OJ Simpson was quite generally well-known and famous.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #49
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm 45 and I full well know both people well. Carrot Top was full of endorsements too but no one considered him the biggest star ever. OJ was a B list celebrity who was TRYING to break into acting and just had a lucky run as a supporting character in a successful franchise but he was NEVER considered the big star of the series or was a candidate for his own film even.

He just wasn't that famous. He was current curiosity at best. Unless you were a football fan. He's like The Rock or Roddy Piper. They hit a few good movies but outside of wrestling fans, no one would call them huge stars.

Carrot Top has a higher Q rating than Phil Spector, too.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #50
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
This is so mind-boggling ludicrous. Spector was a behind-the-scenes guy that nearly no one has heard of (they know the music he produced but that's it). Even during the late 1960s, OJ was still more famous to the general population. And that fame only increased through the subsequent decades, while nearly no one still have not heard of Spector.

Anecdotal evidence != data.

No point arguing it. I'm not a professional musician but growing up, I knew who all the bands were, who was behind the music, styles etc. Just like the kids today. I knew who OJ was too but again, I was a football fan. Both of them were stars and both of them were extremely well known.

Oh, and man, that last sentence is a triple negative. I'm not sure what you were saying, but good point ( I think ).