Lions FTW!

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Lions FTW!

Let's hope the Williamses don't get a court injunction against their suspensions!

That's the Lions' only hope.

It would also help for Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor to be injured. Jarred Allen too.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Let's hope the Williamses don't get a court injunction against their suspensions!

That's the Lions' only hope.

It would also help for Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor to be injured. Jarred Allen too.

Kevin Smith will run for 324 yards and 6 scores, but the Lions will inevitably lose when when our defense continues to show up on the field.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm rooting for the Lions as well. The Chiefs need to stop this one game winning streak immediately. I'd hate to see a top 5 draft pick jeopardized by youthful effort.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

So in terms of fantasy, would Kevin Smith be a better play now than Addai?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So in terms of fantasy, would Kevin Smith be a better play now than Addai?

I am not sure I'd go that far because the Williams boys could still play pending an injunction, but the way I look at it is this:

Peyton was awful last week vs Cleveland, and now he is going to look to make a statement vs the awful Bengals.

Lions are awful every week, and desperate to win. Smith is their most effective player not named Megatron. If the Williams boys don't play, Smith, who will probaly aleady get 20 carries as it is, should be very capable of having a good day.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I anticipate 500 rushing yards and 12 TDs from Adrian Peterson against Detroit. Well, I would, except that he has Brad Childress as his head coach.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Here is a shock for Lions fans:

Quote:
Mayhew playing big role in Lions' draft preparation
by Tom Kowalski | Analysis
Wednesday December 03, 2008, 12:10 AM

ALLEN PARK -- Martin Mayhew might not be here in late April when the Detroit Lions enter one of their most important college drafts in years, but he will still have a profound impact on the draft.

The future for the Lions' interim general manager is uncertain, and a decision is expected in January. However, the most crucial draft information is being gathered now in anticipation of the final draft process that will begin in late February with the scouting combine in Indianapolis.

NFL scouts glean their most useful nuggets of material on college players from September to December and into the bowl season.

During the season, the scouts don't just go to the games, but they go to the schools, watch film and talk to people associated with the program.

This is where the scouting reports are first built and organized. Much is to be learned by watching the film and the games, but scouts are looking for the inside scoop on those who pay attention in meetings, or those who avoid the weight room or cut corners in practice.

Mayhew has tweaked this phase in the organization.

The Lions have made no changes to their scouting staff, but have adjusted how the department collects and processes information on players. (Mayhew denied a request for an interview.)

What's interesting is that Mayhew isn't just issuing the marching orders, he's doing a lot of the legwork himself. While he's not doing the job of the scouts on the ground, he has been visiting a lot of schools and getting a first-hand look at some of the college players.

According to two different Lions officials, Mayhew has done more in-season traveling this year than former president Matt Millen did in his seven years on the job combined.

This is a vitally important draft for the Lions for three significant reasons.

One, it's going to be the first major influx of talent for the new regime (and it still will be a new regime even if Mayhew gets the job). Two, the Lions likely will have the top pick in the draft and a total of four choices in the top 65. Third, this is expected to be one of the deepest and most talent-laden drafts, possibly ever.

The reason for the high volume of talent is because of the NFL's labor situation. Agents and representatives are getting the word out to underclassmen that they'd better declare for the draft now because if there's a new collective bargaining agreement in 2010, there is likely to be a severe rookie cap.

It's also possible that free agency, whether there's a new agreement or not, will be extended beyond the current four years. The sooner a player comes out, the quicker he'll reach unrestricted free agency and have a better opportunity to cash in.

So this could basically be a double-draft class at all positions while the 2010 draft could be extremely thin -- another reason why the Lions must strike it rich now.

The Lions already have eight picks this year and they're hoping to get another one: a possible mid-round compensatory pick for losing free agents, most notably tackle Damien Woody to the New York Jets.

One of Detroit's picks is a third-rounder they got from the Dallas Cowboys for receiver Roy Williams. If the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs, the Lions will have five picks in the top 85.

By making the right moves in the draft, the Lions could get well in a hurry just like the Atlanta Falcons did this season.

But before they can make the right picks, they've got to have the right information. That's why, whether he's here or not, Mayhew is going to play a big role in the Lions' future.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I've grown attached to Mayhew somewhat. If I was told he'd be GM, but Lewand and the entire coaching staff would be gone, I'd be fine with him as GM.

Sadly, I don't see that as the case.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm rooting for the Lions as well. The Chiefs need to stop this one game winning streak immediately. I'd hate to see a top 5 draft pick jeopardized by youthful effort.

Go Tyler Thigpen! Make it two wins in a row!
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Williams Boys in on Sunday

Quote:
JUDGE RULES IN FAVOR OF WILLIAMS AND WILLIAMS
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 3, 2008, 7:28 p.m.

Minnesota Vikings defensive tackles Pat Williams and Kevin Williams have won a big victory in their efforts to avoid being suspended by the National Football League

KSTP-TV in Minneapolis is reporting that Judge Gary Larson has issued a temporary restraining order against the NFL. That means, for now, that Williams and Williams should be allowed to play Sunday. The Williamses said they were heading straight from the courthouse to the Vikings’ practice facility.

However, this is far from over. KSTP reports that another hearing is expected in the next few days.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 PM   #12
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Is the judge the same guy who made 'The Far Side'?

Last edited by Greyroofoo : 12-03-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #13
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I am rooting for the Steelers this week to beat the Cowboys.. For me to feel better about Atlanta's chances to make the playoffs, we need Cowboys to lose today.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Bah.. stuck watching the Giants game yet again. Game choices in the Northeast always are pretty lousy. Should be at least a decent game, but I am pretty tired of seeing them every week.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
Thomkal
Head Coach

well if my beloved Cards cannot clinch the West playing at home against the Rams today, then I'm almost rooting for the 49ers to win their remaining games and take the division.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #16
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Horrible call by the officials saying the fumbled ball hit the pylon. Lovie Smith challenges the call and hopefully the referees are not blind and will reverse it.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #17
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Lions are gonna win today, I can feel it. If Minnesota keeps jumping offsides it'll be smooth sailing.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #18
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
The Lions are gonna win today, I can feel it. If Minnesota keeps jumping offsides it'll be smooth sailing.

Have you learned nothing from this season?
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #19
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

Best chance all year for a Lion win was the first Minnesota game. It's a home game for the Lions this time and they had the extra time to prep for it due to the Thanksgiving game. Maybe the easiest Vegas line to pick against.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #20
Jas_lov
College Starter

Today is different. Culpepper gets the last laugh as the Lions ruin the Vikings playoff hopes and cost Brad Childress his job.

Lions driving again in the redzone! Great facemask call.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #21
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What the hell kind of play calling is this Reid? The Giants d-line has been in your backfield right after every snap so you call an end around on 3rd down? The defense was almost there to take the handoff from McNabb.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Whew. Very lucky Hixon dropped that sure TD pass.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #23
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Thank you Burress.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #24
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What was that last timeout for?
Old 12-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #25
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Actually, what was the first timeout for too?
Old 12-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #26
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Actually, what was the first timeout for too?

The Giants' play clock was at 2 and in the Christmas Spirit of giving, Andy thought that he'd help them out.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Nice Block!

Except for 1 or 2 plays, I'm impressed with how well the Eagles' defense is playing today.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #28
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Packer defense is atrocious. Owen Daniels' fumble is just delaying the inevitable.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #29
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I'll go for the trifecta, I know he made the field goal but was was the 2nd timeout for?

1st timeout: middle of the 1st quarter using a timeout instead of Jackson coming out for one play

2nd timeout: at end of 1st quarter to kick a fieldgoal in the direction in which the announcers were saying Akers was stuggling kicking in the pregame, they even assumed it was the Giants calling the timeout to force Akers to kick that way

3rd timeout: I have no freaking clue why, after an incolomplete pass for the Giants and a 2nd and 10 play early in the 2nd quarter.

This timeout management makes Herman Edwards look like he has a masters in time management. Now you cannot challenge a damn thing the rest of the half until the 2 minute warning and it pretty much rules out any good chance at a last minute drive if the chance arises.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #30
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I have to say I am surprised he is running the ball (not a bad surprised). When they lost yards on the first rushing attempt I figured Andy was going to say "We tried and it didn't work".
Old 12-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #31
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Best chance all year for a Lion win was the first Minnesota game. It's a home game for the Lions this time and they had the extra time to prep for it due to the Thanksgiving game. Maybe the easiest Vegas line to pick against.

And to add, Minnesota is 7-5 in a fairly weak division and 2-4 on the road. Outside of Arizona on the road, they might be the weakest playoff contender.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #32
Jas_lov
College Starter

Payback is a bitch, Jared Allen. Go Lions!
Old 12-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #33
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

How was that not pass interference?
Old 12-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #34
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Great TD run by Westbrook!
Old 12-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #35
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Yeah!!!! I know it's early but YEAH!!!!

Hopefully the cockiness is getting them. The Giants were looking pretty cocky in their pregame pump up session so I hope karma is a bitch.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #36
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This is the worst half of football I have seen the Giants play in a long time. The Eagles are trying to give this game away with penalties and the Giants can't execute.

just as I type this Smith drops an easy catch on 4th and 3.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #37
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I am surprised the red didn't all that last penalty on Westbrook for allowing the Giants player to hold him down after the play.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #38
sabotai
General Manager

Why did they stop the clock (in the Phi-NYG game)? The Eagles didn't have any timeouts and the Giants didn't take one.

Ok, nevermind. I'm glad they did now.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #39
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Old 12-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #40
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Are you freaking kidding me?
Old 12-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #41
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just what we needed!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #42
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Why did they stop the clock (in the Phi-NYG game)? The Eagles didn't have any timeouts and the Giants didn't take one.

Ok, nevermind. I'm glad they did now.

When? The catch? He went out of bounds.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #43
sabotai
General Manager

General observation, but it seems like there have been a lot more blocked FGs this year (and more safeties, for that matter) than I remember seeing in any other season. Maybe it's just that I never noticed, but it always seemed like a blocked FG and a safety were pretty rare occurences. Both seem to have happened quite a bit this year.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #44
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
When? The catch? He went out of bounds.

No, the play before that. Westbrook ran up the middle for a few yards and they stopped the clock with 11 seconds left.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Kevin Dockery for MVP!
Old 12-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #46
sabotai
General Manager

Nevermind. I just looked on NFL.com's play-by-play and they said McNabb spiked it. I must have missed that.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #47
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am so turned on right now.

Watching the replay of the blocked kick for a TD my wife says " Philips threw a great block there, about time he did something since he missed that tackle earlier"

And she is wearing an Amani Toomer jersey.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #48
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

wOOt!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #49
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

this is not good.

Jacobs ( MVP) is down and you can hear a pin drop in the stadium.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #50
rjolley
College Starter

Ok, I have to say that I am very impressed with Matt Ryan. Being in Atlanta this year, I've seen all of his games this season. He has done extremely well for a rookie QB with his feel for the game and his reads. I thought he would be an average pro, maybe a starter only for a QB-starved team, but he's proving to be a very good talent. The Falcon's 3 WRs are improving every week and Turner and Norwood are great options in the running game.

If they continue to improve and stay relatively healthy, they could be in the hunt for the Super Bowl in the next 3-5 years.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote