Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2008, 04:18 AM   #1
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Manny Pacquiao vs. Oscar De La Hoya

Less than a week away before the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world takes on one of the most popular fighters in the world this weekend (December 6).

Can't wait for this one.

Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
PilotMan
Head Coach

Pacquiao is explosive like some I have never seen, but I wonder how he will hold up with the big weight gain. Oscar is still quick and a good enough boxer to move when he needs too.

Should be a good money fight, but at this point I think that Oscar really doesn't have a whole lot to lose. He is and will be one of the most marketable fighters, he doesn't need the money so he can cherry pick his fights too. Pacquiao can come away with a big win against a superstar and cement his status as it is. If he loses he will go back down and enjoy his paycheck. His star will have lost some luster, but he should be able to make up for it.

I see the Pacquiao chasing Oscar, while Oscar sits back. They will trade in small bunches just to test each other, but it will certainly go into the later rounds. In the later rounds I see Oscar holding up better just because of the weight difference, while Pacquiao tires a little.

Can't say what the result is going to be, but it should be entertaining, if Oscar makes it so.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The HBO 24/7 shows for this fight have been great!

Can't wait for this one either.. not sure how I will see it live since I'm not paying $65.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Manny wins, and Floyd unretires.

Manny vs Floyd. Please christ.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
sabotai
General Manager

From 2005-2008, Pacquiao fought at 130 lbs. He fought at 135 earlier this year and will be jumping up to 147 for this fight, and considering the large jump, he'll probably be that for the fight (if he even reaches 147). De La Hoya has not fought at 147 since 2001. He's been a Jr. Middleweight and a Middleweight since then. Yes, he fought at 150 earlier in the year and won a one-sided UD, but that was against a totally inferior opponent who had no business being in the ring with De La Hoya. He's probably going to dehydrate himself to make weight (which is usual), and then quickly put it back on, and I wouldn't be surprised if his weight at fight time was close to middleweight.

This has superfight written all over it. De La Hoya, except for a few times in his career (*cough*last three rounds vs. Trinidad*cough*), has been a pretty active and aggressive boxer, usually prefering to be the stalker. Pacquiao is a swarming style puncher that doesn't know how not to go forward and throw bombs.

But the weight issue also makes the fight have "dud" written all over it as well. Will the extra weight slow down Pacquiao and make his punches slow and ineffective? I've seen that plenty of time. The weight could actually add power and I've seen fighters move up and not miss a beat when it comes to speed.

Going down in weight (and then quickly adding more after the weigh in) could make De Lay Hoya too big for Pacquiao. He already has a pretty big height and reach advantage. I've seen fighters have their careers ended (or close to it) because they got into the ring with someone who had a huge height and weight (at fight time) advantage. Gatti vs. Gamache comes to mind (and for that matter, De La Hoya vs. Gatti). But then again, Sometimes just a few extra pounds to lose before the weigh in can really drain a fighter and make him weak for the next day's fight.

So, I'm conflicted. I don't know what to expect. It could be one of the greatest fights ever, but the difference in weight could really hurt either fighter and make it a total one-sided dud.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
From 2005-2008, Pacquiao fought at 130 lbs. He fought at 135 earlier this year and will be jumping up to 147 for this fight, and considering the large jump, he'll probably be that for the fight (if he even reaches 147). De La Hoya has not fought at 147 since 2001. He's been a Jr. Middleweight and a Middleweight since then. Yes, he fought at 150 earlier in the year and won a one-sided UD, but that was against a totally inferior opponent who had no business being in the ring with De La Hoya. He's probably going to dehydrate himself to make weight (which is usual), and then quickly put it back on, and I wouldn't be surprised if his weight at fight time was close to middleweight.

This has superfight written all over it. De La Hoya, except for a few times in his career (*cough*last three rounds vs. Trinidad*cough*), has been a pretty active and aggressive boxer, usually prefering to be the stalker. Pacquiao is a swarming style puncher that doesn't know how not to go forward and throw bombs.

But the weight issue also makes the fight have "dud" written all over it as well. Will the extra weight slow down Pacquiao and make his punches slow and ineffective? I've seen that plenty of time. The weight could actually add power and I've seen fighters move up and not miss a beat when it comes to speed.

Going down in weight (and then quickly adding more after the weigh in) could make De Lay Hoya too big for Pacquiao. He already has a pretty big height and reach advantage. I've seen fighters have their careers ended (or close to it) because they got into the ring with someone who had a huge height and weight (at fight time) advantage. Gatti vs. Gamache comes to mind (and for that matter, De La Hoya vs. Gatti). But then again, Sometimes just a few extra pounds to lose before the weigh in can really drain a fighter and make him weak for the next day's fight.

So, I'm conflicted. I don't know what to expect. It could be one of the greatest fights ever, but the difference in weight could really hurt either fighter and make it a total one-sided dud.

Sadly, the last 5 years or so, I just assume these fights will be duds because I get my hopes up and I am always disappointed. If Golden Boy keeps fighting like his last three like you said, I could see it being a war.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

If Manny wins, I am going to go get piss drunk at noon... and so will most of the 90 million Filipinos here. He's practically a living god.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Sadly, the last 5 years or so, I just assume these fights will be duds because I get my hopes up and I am always disappointed. If Golden Boy keeps fighting like his last three like you said, I could see it being a war.

I usually assume fights will be duds too. One of the reasons I've stopped with PPV fights. But Pacquiao has never disappointed (unless you count him KOing Morales early in their 3rd fight - which I skipped).
Old 12-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I usually assume fights will be duds too. One of the reasons I've stopped with PPV fights. But Pacquiao has never disappointed (unless you count him KOing Morales early in their 3rd fight - which I skipped).

Yeah .. I miss Prince Naseem. His fights always entertained the hell out of me.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Fanatic Filipino Catholicism + Nike = A great marketing campaign.

hxxp://www.nike.com.ph/giveusthisday/
Old 12-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Also, Manny Pacquiao halts military clashes in the Philippines whenever he fights. Christian, Muslim, cops, criminals, soldiers, terrorists... they all drop what they're going and just watch and pray that he wins.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
watravaler
High School JV

Wink

Is this really Oscar's last fight? If so, I'd wager a pretty penny on him winning by KO. MP takes a dive...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #13
DanGarion
Coordinator

I just got this email at work thought I would pass it along. Your miles may vary in your neck of the woods but this is marketing for the SoCal/Los Angeles area.

Quote:
I just wanted to give you all a heads up on rebates that you can get for this weekends fight.

De La Hoya vs. Pacquiao Vendor Rebates

SAVE Up To $50

Great news! Both TWC customers and employees can save up to $50 on the De La Hoya vs. Pacquiao Dream Match by purchasing the items below and mailing in the proof of purchase to the Vendors.

Vendor rebate offers:

v Tecate beer - $20
v Coca-Cola Full Throttle energy drink- $20
v Cazadores tequila -$10

How to get cash back:

v Mail the following information to the address printed on the redemption coupon card:
o The receipt for the product (that offers the redemption)
o Copy of the Cable Bill showing the De La Hoya vs. Pacquiao 12/06 PPV event as proof of purchase
o Complete redemption coupon card attached to the product
v Vendor sends a check for the rebate amount.

**Ensure customers follow any additional instructions on the product’s Rebate Terms and Conditions.

Where can I find these rebates?

Rebate coupon cards can be found on six-packs of Coke's Full Throttle energy drink, 18-packs of Tecate beer and regular bottles of Cazadores.

v Arco
v Seven 11
v Food 4 Less
v Superior
v Vallarta Markets
v Shell Oil
v Home Depot with Coke
v Super A foods
v North Gate
v Cardenas Market
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #14
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I absolutely wish this fight could be entertaining but I do not see it. De La Hoya hasn't beaten a good fighter since.....Vargas? That was in 2002.

Pacquiao dominates De La Hoya in speed and this fight is boring as hell IMO.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #15
chesapeake
College Starter

According to the Las Vegas paper, you can still get tickets to this one through the MGM box office:
hxxp://www.lvrj.com/sports/35527664.html

That seems a little odd this close to the fight.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Last episode of 24/7 tonight.. can't wait to sit down and watch it!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:23 PM   #17
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Yeah .. I miss Prince Naseem. His fights always entertained the hell out of me.
He had a most unusual style that's for sure. Pretty uncanny how he anticipated punches and could move his head and body out of the way. I thought that he was a prick, though, and was happy to see Marco Antonio Barrera kick his arrogant ass. That fight pretty much ended his career I believe.

I think that Pacquiao wins this convincingly.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:37 AM   #18
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'm calling Pacquiao by unanimous decision. I'm no expert, though.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #19
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Manny weighted in at 142, and Oscar weighted in at 145.

Should be a great fight.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #20
Anthony
Banned

i'm watching this. i've become a De La Hoya fan.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Is there anywhere to watch this online?

I really want to watch this one, but the wife says no to $65.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #22
Anthony
Banned

what time does the main event actually start? everything i see says 9PM ET, but is that the start time for the PPV itself (when the undercards start) or is that when the De La Hoya/Manny fight is scheduled to begin?
Old 12-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #23
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The PPV starts at 9PM but that will be the televised portion of the undercard. Should be a great fight, but I just can't see paying 65 bucks for it.

Edit: Especially, when a potentially good football game will be on ABC.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-06-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #24
Anthony
Banned

thanks EF. so essentially it's anybody's guess as to when the main fight will start, right?

i ask cuz we have another couple who are thinking of coming over to watch but since one of them works on the weekends so they don't want to come over if it's gonna start at like 12 pm.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #25
sabotai
General Manager

Generally, the main event starts around 11pm. Every time I've seen a PPV with the fight taking place in Las Vegas, around 11pm is when the main event usually starts. Sometimes a bit later, sometimes a bit earlier. There might be a small chance of it starting around 12pm, but I doubt it.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #26
sabotai
General Manager

dola

Looks like there might be 2 fights on the undercard. Looking at the schedule, you have Jaun Manuel Lopez (23-0-0) vs Sergio Manuel Medina (33-1-0). That's scheduled for 12, but Lopez has 21 KOs in his 23 wins. His last decision was a 6 round fight. The other is Victor Ortiz (22-1-1) vs. Jeffrey Resto (22-2-1). I don't know anything about either of them.

If both of these fights go 12 rounds, then the main event will probably start closer to 11:30pm, maybe even 12. A 12 round fight (minus intros and decision announcement) is a little over 45 minutes long (3 min. rounds and 1 min. between rounds). That's really the only situation that would cause the main event to start around midnight.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #27
Anthony
Banned

cool, just the info i was looking for. thanks!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
The PPV starts at 9PM but that will be the televised portion of the undercard. Should be a great fight, but I just can't see paying 65 bucks for it.

Edit: Especially, when a potentially good football game will be on ABC.

What's this good football game you're talking about?
Old 12-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #29
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I did say potentially. The throw-off had potential to at least be good, but the one kid phoned it in.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #30
SegRat
High School Varsity

Looking at ESPN's coverage, Pacquiao destroyed De La Hoya as De La Hoya quits the fight after 8 rounds. I am shocked.
SegRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #31
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

And Manny opens a huge can of whoop ass and destroys De La Hoya in 8 rounds before the Golden Boy quits the match.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #32
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Manny took control from the beginning and dominated.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #33
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Manny really should stop using the stupid Pacman moniker and start using his old "The Destroyer" nickname.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:43 AM   #34
Emiliano
College Prospect

Pacquiao is just the best in the world: amazing display of speed and power. He dominated De La Hoya from the 1st round on, what a match. Now De La Hoya can go back to being a only a promoter, and organize THE dream match: Pacquiao-Mayweather. With a good pile of cash, "Pretty Boy" will come out of retirement easily.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:02 AM   #35
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I wish I hadn't worked and could have watched the fight. A few Meixcans I work with wanted to bet on the fight with me. They were willing to throw at least $100 on De La Hoya. I wish I would have had the balls (and the flexible finances) to take them up on their offers.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #36
Calis
College Starter

Well I was rooting heavily for Manny, but I really thought it would be a tougher fight for him. I don't think he could have fought that fight any better, very impressed. I also can't believe Oscar hadn't put any more weight on than that after weigh-ins. That's pretty shocking. I really expected him to have a much larger weight advantage.

Complete destruction.

I think Mayweather will be demanding absurd amounts of money to come back for that fight, but hopefully it can be done. I actually thought before this fight that Manny matched up better against him than against De La Hoya. Manny vs. Hatton I'd love to see also, that'd be a brutal fight, and a much easier one for him I think.

Last edited by Calis : 12-07-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #37
Anthony
Banned

it was worth $65. i got to see one of the best fighters in the world in Manny - my wife and i were awed by his impressive display of speed - and we got to see what *should* be De La Hoya's last fight. also cool that even though we were rooting for Oscar at least we got to see one guy get his ass kicked. it wasn't like the De La Hoya/Mayweather fight where Mayweather was playing a defensive game and was content to score on landing punches instead of knocking out his opponent.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #38
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Is it me or did that end seem so shady?

The over/under was 9.5 rounds and 92% of the money was on the over. Then they show Oscar being asked is he okay, and he says yes, his corner says yes, and then minutes later his corner says "we're done, it's our decision not yours"

Maybe I am just being paranoid but it seemed so odd.

And it didn't change the outcome at all, I just think Oscar would've made it 12 rounds otherwise.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #39
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My boy is in Vegas and made a killing on Manny.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #40
Calis
College Starter

Maybe I misheard but that's not what I remember. I heard them asking if he wanted to stop it now and he said yes to that, and then they kept on going on about stopping it now or waiting a round and Oscar didn't say much. I think it was pretty obvious he knew he was done, but fighters aren't going to be jumping up and down to say stop it.

I think it would've been stopped the next round by someone else if they didn't. He was doing nothing and was getting hit a bunch. Guy is too rich to be taken that kind of punishment when he has no shot.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #41
Logan
Head Coach

It was the first time I really watched Pacquiao, but damn I was impressed. That straight left he kept drilling Oscar with was insanely quick. There were times when he would pop him TWICE in the face before De La Hoya would react.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #42
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Is it me or did that end seem so shady?

The over/under was 9.5 rounds and 92% of the money was on the over. Then they show Oscar being asked is he okay, and he says yes, his corner says yes, and then minutes later his corner says "we're done, it's our decision not yours"

Maybe I am just being paranoid but it seemed so odd.

And it didn't change the outcome at all, I just think Oscar would've made it 12 rounds otherwise.

My take on the corner scene was that they needed an affirmative statement from Oscar that he wanted to continue, and they (the corner or the ref) never got that. Oscar hadn't thrown a meaningful punch in two rounds. Stopping it was the right call.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #43
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Time for Floyd to come back and have his big money fight with Manny.