Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

American Idol Season 9

Back this week. Enjoy it because with Simon leaving, might be the end of the road.

A replacement name I'd throw in the ring is Gene Simmons. He is in the industry, speaks his mind, has been a guest judge before and does reality TV already.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm pretty sure this is the last one. He's bringing X-Factor to the US next year, there's not much room for both.

The show has run its course and is starting to mock itself, hiring Ellen Degeneres as a judge of some sort. I like Ellen just fine, but there are too many canned quips and not enough time in the format as it is.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I'm pretty sure this is the last one. He's bringing X-Factor to the US next year, there's not much room for both.

The show has run its course and is starting to mock itself, hiring Ellen Degeneres as a judge of some sort. I like Ellen just fine, but there are too many canned quips and not enough time in the format as it is.

i cant imagine theyd end the #1 show on tv just because a judge left. admittedly a huge part of the show, but come on

that said, possibly the best thing they could do would be end it for a bit, let people miss it, and bring it back in 2 years to a huge return. but i think instead theyll keep it on and milk it
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
A good replacement for Simon will be Piers Morgan.

10 Print "no"
20 Goto 10
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

The Cowell news is unfortunate imo. I wasn't sure if I could handle the show with Ellen, but with Ellen and no Cowell is pretty brutal.

I'd throw Ben Folds out there. He was a very, very good judge on "The Sing-Off". He wasn't afraid to speak his mind and had a lot of legit feedback.

There's a good chance this is my last season watching though. I'll have to read up on X-Factor, but if it's just another version of "America's Got Talent" I just don't think I'm interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

Huh.

Looks like it is just a modified version of Idol.

Main difference appear to be:

A) Groups are allowed
B) People are split into Categories and then mentored by the judges.

Ok, I could get behind this.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 01-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lol...so i guess this was like...foreshadowed by what happened in the UK hmm? Pretty amusing (although not when i think that 2x as much tv will now end up being taken up by this schlock).
Old 01-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i cant imagine theyd end the #1 show on tv just because a judge left. admittedly a huge part of the show, but come on

I dunno, Simon is a lot more than just a judge, he is akin to the main character on a very popular show. For me it will be like watching the X-Files without Duchovney, not nearly as interesting.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
Drake
assmaster

There was no X-Files without Duchovney, and I will punch anyone who says differently in the mouth. It was a great 7 season run...after which, it ended.

And there was only one X-Files movie.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Well that's kind of my point
Old 01-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
Drake
assmaster

I was just making sure we agreed on that critical cultural point.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
Drake
assmaster

On topic: Since we're talking about judges, I'm disappointed they chose Ellen over bringing Jewel back. I really enjoyed her stint as a celeb judge in whichever season that was. I thought her comments were insightful.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

Simon is the only judge whose opinion really matters. Without him, the show would be useless.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Simon is the only judge whose opinion really matters. Without him, the show would be useless.

Agreed. Without Simon, I wouldn't watch it.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Drake
assmaster

Maybe as a trade-off they'll set some sort of minimum boobies threshold for each episode. Then I'd watch.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
On topic: Since we're talking about judges, I'm disappointed they chose Ellen over bringing Jewel back. I really enjoyed her stint as a celeb judge in whichever season that was. I thought her comments were insightful.

Might have something to do with her becoming a full-time judge on Nashville Star (which as far as I know, is dead)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Yup. Especially with X-Factor being a singing show, I'm not sure that I will watch Idol after this season.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

Yep, it was definitely her comments. Both of them.

Last edited by MJ4H : 01-12-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #18
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I dunno, Simon is a lot more than just a judge, he is akin to the main character on a very popular show. For me it will be like watching the X-Files without Duchovney, not nearly as interesting.

my point though is theyll try. just because a judge is leaving doesnt mean you fold up shop. you let it die ungracefully, by failing miserably for a few more seasons first
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #19
Swaggs
Coordinator

You guys don't think that Randy Jackson can carry the show?

I think they should just call it quits, at least for a couple of years, after this season. But, I completely expect them to milk it for several more years. Other than the on-air talent, I wonder if there are many other major expenses? Maybe song acquisation, but that seems to be a good proposition for both sides, as popularity, downloads and album sales usually skyrocket when one of the contestants does a great performance.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #20
MJ4H
Coordinator

where the eff is ellen
Old 01-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #21
Drake
assmaster

I'm baffled that pretty much everyone in America must have clued in that Andrew/Blunt Guy had Asperger Syndrome except the judges.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:03 AM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Last night's episode reminded me just how lousy this show will be without Simon as a judge. He makes everything click.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #23
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
where the eff is ellen

They started off with a bunch of guest judges before they finalized Ellen.

Quote:
I'm baffled that pretty much everyone in America must have clued in that Andrew/Blunt Guy had Asperger Syndrome except the judges.

Who?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #24
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Who?

The guy in the clip embedded in this article:

'American Idol': Andrew Fenlon annoys Kara DioGuardi in Boston - From Inside the Box - Zap2it
Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #25
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Last night's episode reminded me just how lousy this show will be without Simon as a judge. He makes everything click.

Yup.

Quote:

Um... no?

I've felt many awkward moments where they were clearly mocking someone that had "issues", this wasn't one of them. I didn't pick up on anything.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #26
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Um... no?

I've felt many awkward moments where they were clearly mocking someone that had "issues", this wasn't one of them. I didn't pick up on anything.

Agreed. Guy was just annoyed. If he had an obvious tell that he had other issues, I didn't notice.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #27
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Yup.

Um... no?

I didn't buy the guy from before he went into the audition room. I thought he was clearly a put-on. My opinion didn't change throughout the audition. Though, I did laugh at Kara ripping him a new one.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:25 AM   #28
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I didn't buy the guy from before he went into the audition room. I thought he was clearly a put-on. My opinion didn't change throughout the audition. Though, I did laugh at Kara ripping him a new one.

Yeah, that was closer to my take than Asperger's.

The very first audition (woman in the pink tank top) seemed she might have some issues, otherwise it just seemed like annoying people.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #29
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The very first audition (woman in the pink tank top) seemed she might have some issues, otherwise it just seemed like annoying people.

I blame the developers. They should have improved the judge AI on their Wii game. If they would have done that, the audition would have never happened.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #30
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
I blame the developers. They should have improved the judge AI on their Wii game. If they would have done that, the audition would have never happened.

haha yeah I was thinking this is a pretty terrible commercial for that game
Old 01-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #31
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Quote:
+9999999

I don't see why you would want to show that audition for that exact reason.

Side note - did the producers or something change this year? There were quite a few subtle things different about the show this year from a production standpoint.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #32
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

What the other said -- I did not get any vibe that he had aspergers.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #33
MJ4H
Coordinator

loooking like a fool with your pants on the ground
Old 01-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #34
RedKingGold
College Starter

Pants on the Ground = Probably the best moment in Idol auditions over the past few seasons.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #35
law90026
College Benchwarmer

I honestly wonder how in the world they let him through to the audition room. He must have been hilarious during the pre-audition.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #36
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

What stupidity.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #37
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
What stupidity.

My roommate was watching the show so I by default was hearing some of it. I'm actually surprised they keep doing this part of the auditions. Nine seasons of listening to people sing horribly just comes across as a very old gimmick now.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #38
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
My roommate was watching the show so I by default was hearing some of it. I'm actually surprised they keep doing this part of the auditions. Nine seasons of listening to people sing horribly just comes across as a very old gimmick now.

Agreed. Can we please stop with the stupid auditions. Show us the good and borderline people. We know that these people are prescreened -- it is embarrassing to both the individuals and the show (and perhaps America for eating it up) to continue to parade them around.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #39
MJ4H
Coordinator

I agree with 99% of that. But we definitely need to see more of the good ones like the pants on the ground guy.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #40
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I agree with 99% of that. But we definitely need to see more of the good ones like the pants on the ground guy.

Yeah, it was hard not to have a smile on your face. Nice that they put that at the end of that episode.

I think in recent years that they have put some contestants in the early episodes where you weren't sure whether they'd be good or not. It's kind of fun to guess based on their early interview whether they'd be good or not. The girl with the guitar outfit and the girl who lived in a trailer with her mom in Tennessee were a couple good surprises. In the earlier seasons, those two girls would have almost universally been horrible. At least they keep you guessing now.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #41
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I ran a clinic for Autistic Spectrum disorders and I don't think the guy had Asperger or any PDD syndrome disorder. I think he was just being an ass.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #42
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Our thoughts as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Pants on the Ground = Probably the best moment in Idol auditions over the past few seasons.

Agreed. I think Simon is right and that could be a hit. I want to show videos of it to some of my patients
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #43
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I ran a clinic for Autistic Spectrum disorders and I don't think the guy had Asperger or any PDD syndrome disorder. I think he was just being an ass.

I'm completely willing to accept your judgment on this as gold and retire from the field.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #44
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

Can you give that as a diagnosis?

"Sir, after 8 weeks of sessions, I've determined that your issues are a direct result of you being an asshole"
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #45
MJ4H
Coordinator

Katy Perry

Old 01-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #46
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I think last night was the first time I saw Katy Perry wearing a top. I enjoyed.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #47
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I think last night was the first time I saw Katy Perry wearing a top. I enjoyed.

Proof positive of the crazy/hot theory. She could start a senseless argument with a dead body. It would be entertaining, to say the least, to have her as a permanent judge.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #48
wade moore
lolzcat

Agreed - she'd be what Kara was supposed to be.

Quote:
Old 01-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #49
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am in love with the Barney singing domanatrix.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #50
PraetorianX
High School JV

No post in the last couple weeks? Thread definitely isn't as popular as the previous seasons.

I can see why though, there really aren't that many contestants that have jumped out at me thus far. Usually by now there is at least one that jumped out at me as 'great' or just that I really like, or at the very least one that I hope goes really far because she's really hot.

Nobody really stands out, to me, in any of those categories so far.

Except maybe Big Mike, I kind of like him.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote