Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2003, 02:53 AM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Eastern Michigan University dynasty

I have decided, for simplicity's sake, to divide up the old dynasty into it's two parts. This dynasty will refer to the "First FOF4 Dynasty" in various ways, and they can be considered two halves of the same whole.

A link will be provided shortly.

As soon as I get back in an FOF mood, expect these to continue at a rampant pace.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 02:54 AM   #2
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Well, to be honest, I really wanted the distinction of having the first posted FOF4 dynasty.

In my last dynasty I did a cross dynasty between TCY and FOF2k1. I want to continue that tradition. It should be interesting to see how TCY players morph to FOF4, and I want to be at the forefront of that research.

However, there are two major obstacles standing in my way. Firstly, I know that as soon as FOF4 arrives I will want to play it non-stop for a long time - and who wants to take timeouts with TCY along the way? Secondly, the impending release has really gotten me in an FOF state of mind, and I can stave off the terrible desires by playing a little TCY. This will also be my first chance to start a franchise off with the TCY patch.

So then, I get to choose my teams.

In my last TCY career I started as WVU because there was limited movement in the coaching ranks. This time, I want a bit harder of a challenge. Really, it's no contest. I want a hard tema that i can identify with:

Eastern Michigan University

Think about it for a bit. Here is a team that is way back in the back of the MAC standings. It will never be able to bust out of the MAC, and as such, will always be held back. Additionally, EMU is in an awful place to recruit.

Michigan is literally beside EMU and MSU is just a short drive up the interstate - that's two powerhouse schools next door. And nefore you think that leaves space for the smaller EMU to pick up grads, remember that Toledo is just south of EMU, and Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Bowling Green, Kent State and Akron are all under 150 miles away. As is Notre Dame, by the way. Notre Dame is about 2 hours away. And Ohio State is about 2 and a half hours away.

Not an easy recruiting area.

Really, the only population that EMU might be said to have an in for is the Detroit Metro area, but because of the close proximity of big schools, that will probably only give a mild push to lower ranked atheletes.

So, Eastern Michigan it is!

Here are my house rulez:

1). Place the SOL8 in Hawaii and never look at them again. Base them off the Ivy League as well.

2). Suspensions, firing, and the bowl system are turned on.

3). Reputations are not randomized - what fun would that be?

4). All-Star difficulty

5). Sim games only - never call them

6). 3.0 GPA is really good. I will take bottom feeding players when it comes to GPA. I will also take really high GPA athletes as well, but EMU cannot be above picking up the dumb hosses. If I change schools later then this may change.

I will coach EMU as myself - Abe Sargent.

As a reminder - this is not a quick sim designed to merely create some draft files. It will be a real franchise complete with all of the pudding.

When I get FOF4 and start there - only then will I figure out who I will play in the NFL, although I am leaning towards a team already.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 02:54 AM   #3
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

For those who are wondering, my philosphy on recruiting is basically - "If you can bring 'em, then bring 'em." I am not going to deny my institution out of some sense of misplaced pride simply because I don't think that some guy would come to my program.

I want to build a winner here, my tent is very big for players.

Looks like I going to need it to because my best player is a punter who is a senior. And he is not that good.

EMU does have the occasional big player leave the school, like LJ Shelton or Charlie Batch, therefore I don't think it is too much of a stretch to recruit good players to come and play.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 02:55 AM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

PRESS RELEASE – EASTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY

Today, Dr. David Diles, Athletic Director for Eastern Michigan University announced the termination of Football Head Coach Jeff Woodruff after a 3-8 season last year. In his place, Dr. Diles announced that he has already selected a replacement for Coach Woodruff. In a surprising move, Dr. Diles has hired Abe Sargent to be the head coach of the Eagles.

Abe Sargent currently works at Eastern Michigan University in their Housing department as the Area Complex Director of the Towers and Village complexes. Abe has worked at Eastern Housing for over a year and supervises around 1100 students, a staff of 80, and budgets of around 3.5 million dollars annually. He has worked closely with various players on the football team who have lived in his complex, including the star running back, second wide receiver, starting offensive guard, and other players.

With Eastern Michigan University being challenged by the new NCAA rules regarding eligibility, Abe was brought in to keep EMU in Division 1-A. “He’ll be around for a long while,” Dr. Diles said at a press conference.

PRESS CONFERENCE TRANSCRIPT:

David Diles: It is with great regret that I announce the termination of Jeff Woodruff as head coach of the Eastern Eagles. He was brought in to turn this program around. However, this year the rules are different, including new NCAA eligibility rules for Division 1-A. It is our highest priority to remain competitive and in Division 1-A. As such, we have decided to bring in a new face in Abe Sargent, who you will meet shortly. You have copies of the press release, I assume, so let’s open it up for questions.

Steve Sharkly, Ann Arbor News: Dr. Diles, what can you tell us about Abe Sargent’s football experience. It was not mentioned in the press release and I couldn’t find anything.

Diles: Simple. He has none. He is an effective administrator, and we believe that he will be able to lead us in the right way.

Steve: Wait, so what qualifies him to run a football program?

Diles: Well, let’s be frank here. In its entire history, Eastern has gone to exactly TWO bowl games. That’s it. It’s not like we have had a huge success with established football coaches here. In fact, we have done pretty awful in that category. Now, our priority has changed from winning to surviving. An administrator is more likely to succeed.

Ryan Foster, Eastern Echo: Dr. Diles, do you mean to tell us that you have abandoned the football program?

Diles: Of course not. Abe has effectively administered the new residence halls here at EMU, the Village, with a strong hand. He has disciplined and even kicked some of our football players out of his dorms. He is the disciplinarian that we need at this time. Plus, he’s a sharp guy. I have no doubt that he’ll pick up the football side of things quickly. Some of the best Supreme Court Justices of all time were never lawyers. Abe has all fo the makings of a great coach, he just needs more development time.

Brian Stevenson, Detroit Free Press: Does this have anything to do with the cutbacks the state has been administrating to public institutions around the state? What will Abe’s new salary be?

Diles: Of course not! I’m offended by the very idea.

Brian: And what will Abe’s salary be this year?

Diles: Due to his lack of experience, it will be less than previous football coaches, but that has nothing to do with the matter.

Brian: But what is the actual figure, and…

Diles: I am not taking any more questions on this matter. Other questions?

Heath McNamara, Detroit News: What exactly is the plan for keeping Division 1-A status?

Diles: I do not have an outline at this time. Anyways, let me bring out the next Head Coach of the Eastern Michigan Foot Ball Team – Abe Sargent!

Abe: Thanks Dr. Diles. Members of the press, I was asked to prepare a statement. This has all been really fast for me. I was approached by my boss, Assistant Director of Housing Marcus Jackson. Marcus used to work over at the Rec/IM building and was an Assistant Director for Athletics. He mentioned to me that they were looking for a quick, internal hire to take over the Head Coach job. After detailing what they were looking for, and telling me that he was recommending me for the job, I decides to call up Dr. Diles and talk with him at length over the position. We discussed where he wanted EMU to be going, and what I wanted to do with the program. We were perfectly in alignment. After a brief interview process, here I am! I think it’s amazing when you think that eight days ago I was a simple administrator, and now I am a head coach of a Division 1-A school! I intend for it to stay that way.

Steve: What are your credentials?

Abe: Well, I have my Bachelors in Political Science with minors in Philosophy and History from West Virginia University. I graduated Cum Laude and as an Honors Scholar. I have my Masters in Public Administration from WVU as well. I took the ACD job here at EMU straight out of grad school, and now I’m here. Oh yeah, I’ve also worked two sessions with the West Virginia State Legislature, spent some time with TV8 WCHS in Charleston, WV, and so forth. I think that I have the ancillary stuff down pat, and now I just need to work on my football knowledge.

Heath: What are your plans for this football team?

Abe: I have yet to go over the rosters, but I suspect that we’ll try our damnedest to win some football games. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a team to meet.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 02:56 AM   #5
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Well, my first assignment is to go over the roster and see what we have. It’s going to be ugly, so take your pills:

EMU Starters for 2002:

The parentheses indicates how many years the player has left after this year.

QB Mitchell Swinford (1) – Best of the bad QBs, this guy would stink up a bench so badly he’d get cut from it, but on this team, he’s my starter.

RB Antonio Madison – A poor RB, but actually one of the better players on my team comparatively.
FB Kris McNeil – One of my best players, our FB will definitely start. He may get a lot of carries too.

TE Darryl Brock – Our best hope at the TE position is really a problem. Look for him to miss blocks and be absolutely anemic in the passing game.
WR Ian Koontz – Our most developed WR has an average of 25 or so points in the receiving skills.
WR Sean Horton (3) – True freshman who will get the start because everybody else is that bad. His potential average is probably in the 40’s

C Roger Kelly (2) – The only thing worse than a C with an average 12 in blocking stats is that he is the best one on my roster. And that he’ll be around to suck for two more years.
G Rod Snyder (3) – Walkon guard Snyder has the best potential of the lot, which is to say, practically none.
G Kevin Middleton (3) – True freshman Middleton is the most developed of the lot, with a mighty 27/14/9 in his stats. Fear him.
T Jay Downs (2) – Ladies and gentlemen, may I direct your attention to (*Gasp*) a GOOD player. Jay will be around for a while and his consistent stats in the 50’s make me believe that he will be our shining rock for a while.
T Freddie Romig (1) – A developing talent who is the best lineman at any position not named Downs.

P Mike Winslett – A well developed punter. Good. We’ll need one.
K Kim Coles (1) – Our Kicker is not even developed, despite his experience. Sad.

DE Lionel Carper (3) – Bad, and won’t get much better.
DE Gene Gomez (2) – Better potential than Carper. Barely.
DT Corwin Hawkins (1) – Bad DT, with a 1 run defense, 8 endurance, but 22 pass rush, which distinguishes him from the rest.

ILB Leland Maloney – News Flash – EMU has another good player. Compared to these guys, he’s a hall of famer, on most teams he’d ride the pine.
ILB Gilbert Blanchette – Barely beat out the competition – really good depth at ILB.
OLB Bulldozer Samuel (3) – How could I not play a guy named Bulldozer? He has the best potential of the group, with the lowest current rankings (all 0’s). But, it’s not like we are going to win this year or anything.
OLB Ralph Porter (3) – The bad players I am forced to play continually amaze me.

CB Bert Unverzagt (2) – Our best corner is a bad backup for most teams.
CB Herb Parrish (3) – I have warts that could play better defense than Herb.
S Grady Jamison – Another decent player – will wonders never cease!
S Kris Stansell (1) – Just to tweak my britches, EMU manages another marginally good player.

I was interested in going with a 4-3 defense this time (I played WVU in a 3-4 last dynasty). But I need to play my best players, and this roster is obviously set up for the 3-4, so we’ll play with that. I may eventually morph into 4-3.

We have no real players on offense, except for that fullback. I decide to go with the offense that I eventually want: Singleback. I really love Singleback, and even though I used it in the WVU campaign, I’m a huge fan of it. I like having a good TE, good RB, and no FB. What other formation offers that?

I convert FB Kris McNeil to RB and he is better than Antonio, so Kris will be my starter for this year at the RB position. He is actually a manageable player, with great breakaway speed and third down catching – something you really wouldn’t expect from a fullback.

That means I need another WR, though, which is a dangerous proposition. WR Kelly Rivera, a true Junior, is probably our next option, and he is truly stink-o-rific. Still, we will do how we are taken. We need recruits badly, let’s see what happens.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 02:56 AM   #6
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

EMU Staff:

Syndicate Coordinator Tyrell Lavender
57 yrs
Good, Fair, Terrible

Defensive Coordinator Brian Anderson
63 yrs
Very Good, Decent, Terrible, Pretty Good
Decent, Decent, Excellent

Offensive Coordinator Neal Finister
53 yrs, 5 yrs experience with Single back
Decent, Decent, Excellent, Excellent
Decent, Decent, Decent, Poor, Terrific

Head Scout, Great Lakes, Bill Barlow
38 yrs
Pretty Good, Fair, Good, Terrible, Terrible, Excellent, Good, Very Good

Off Coord Neal Finister does have five years experience with the offense that I want to run. That’s really good. It is the only thing that may keep him on my staff, however, as he is just decent (literally). My Head Scout is poor at a lot of areas, and I intend on jettisoning him. There may be a better Syndicate Coordinator out there as well. My Defensive Coordinator is pretty good, and he may end up sticking around for a while.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 02:56 AM   #7
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Eastern Michigan University Eagles Football Schedule:

Week 2 – at Michigan State
Week 3 – TOLEDO
Week 4 – CORNELL
Week 5 – at Maryland
Week 6 – at Columbia
Week 7 – AKRON
Week 8 – at Ohio
Week 9 – at Ball State
Week 11 – CENTRAL MICHIGAN
Week 12 – at Western Michigan
Week 13 – NORTHERN ILLINOIS
Week 14 – at Bowling Green

I’m not sure if that is a good schedule or not, but I love how we have to play eight weeks in a row. That’s good scheduling on somebody’s part.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 02:57 AM   #8
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

This is about the time of year when I look at what players and positions are leaving, where my starters are, and so forth, in an attempt to formulate a recruiting strategy. But, with the Eagles – ye gads! Every position is a need, so I go into recruiting just looking for ball players.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention one of my TCY rules:

7). No bribing. Ever.

So, with that in mind, let’s hit the recruiting trail!

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 02:57 AM   #9
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

“New NCAA Standards Effect Eastern Michigan University”

Steve Sharky, Ann Arbor News

New Div 1-A rules recently passed by the NCAA up the ante on requirements for teams to play in the division. Unfortunately, for Eagles fans, the new regulations will exclude Eastern Michigan University from Div 1-A status, assuming that things continue.

The problem is that losing Div 1-A status is akin to an athlete losing a scholarship. Schools with Div 1-AA status or lower usually lose money on their football program. Institutions that are used to using football to fund their other athletic teams will have to find some other means of funding them. All of which could lead some schools to cut football altogether.

Realizing the need to remain in Division 1-A, Eastern’s Athletic Director Dr. David Diles recently fired his head coach and hired somebody without any football experience, in the hopes that the new head coach, Abe Sargent, can keep EMU on the gravy train. It is just the most recent, and most visible, sign of changes coming to Division 1-A football.

The new rules for Div 1-A status are:

-Finance at least 56.5 scholarships annually.

-Sponsor 16 varsity sports, including eight for women and at least six for men

-Finance at least 200 scholarships throughout the athletic program

-Average 15,000 or higher per home game in attendance.

Eastern actually meets the first three categories. It is that fourth one which can cause a lot of trouble. These standards take effect August 1, 2004. That gives a school like Eastern a couple of years to catch up. And that is exactly what Abe intends to do, “We already have plans in place to increase alumni support and energize students.”

Eastern can only hope that it won’t be too late.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 02:57 AM   #10
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Excerpts from “Abe Sargent’s Journal: The Early Years”
Copyright 2032

Week 1 – No Game

I hit the recruiting trail and try to find those players who want to come to EMU. Here are some facts:

We are ranked 108th in academics.

No player idolizes my school.

Our prestige is 66.

Anyway, I visit a bunch of guys around Michigan, and they pretty much all agree. They are amazed that I would have the audacity to visit them. This is going to be much more difficult than even I imagined.

Week 2 – Michigan State

How are we going to even stay in the game versus the Spartans? They are favored by 12, but I have a feeling that they will blow us out by at least 20.

I go back and try to find some recruits. There has to be a diamond in this haystack somewhere.

I found a nice QB prospect that I like and that might come to EMU.

And MSU does crush us – 38 to nothing. Shutout and ouch. Our only highlights are a couple of picks and sacks by our defense. That’s it. Wowzers.

Week 3 – Toledo

The Mac comes early as Toledo marches into Ypsilanti. Toledo may only be favored by one; again, I think they will crush us.

I am still having difficulty finding recruits. That will probably be the story of the year.

OLB Bulldozer wanted a scholarship, and I decided to oblige.

Toledo did, in fact, crush us – 31-19. At least we scored. QB Swinford went 18 of 40 for 203 yards, 2 TDs, and 2 Ints. Probably the best performance we’ll see all year….

Our defense got another pair of interceptions. Go team…

Week 4 – Cornell

Is this a game that we can win? We are favored by, gasp, a TD!

I find a nice WR who might come to Eastern.

We lose 21-17. *Sigh*

QB Swinford was injured but still played the entire game. He’ll be out for a few weeks with a sprained knee. He tossed up three picks, so it’s not like he was doing all that well anyway.

Chalk up another Int for my defense.

What will come next?

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 02:58 AM   #11
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

“Week 5 brings more trouble for Eastern Michigan

Ryan Foster
Eastern Echo

After starting the season 0-3, you might think that the Eagles have gone through the worst of their season. Maybe it hasn’t even begun.

Head Coach Abe Sargent today held his weekly press conference. Talking about the upcoming Maryland game, he said:

“I’m not sure what will come next. Maryland will probably spank us and send us home without our dinner. But after that, who knows? In the entire Western half of the MAC, there have only been four wins between all of the teams.”

And he is right. Central Michigan is 2-0, Toledo is 1-2 and Bowling Green is 1-1. Every other West team has yet to win a game. So, if Eastern were to win this week at Maryland, they would be in the bowl hunt as much as any other West team.

Even at 1-3.

Maryland is favored by 26 points. What will happen?

Guess you’ll have to tune in and find out.”

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 02:58 AM   #12
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

“Troubles in the Roost

Ryan Foster
Eastern Echo

After suffering a 51-7 loss at the hands of the Terrapins yesterday, Head Coach Abe Sargent was quoted as saying, “I’m not sure we can even beat the JV squad from the Boone County Vocational Center.”

Eastern fans may not know that Abe grew up in Boone County, West Virginia. Reporters know it, because he refers to it incessantly during interviews and press conferences. His theory is that the Eastern football team doesn’t play tough – not like the Boon County Vo Tech center where the players apparently maim each other playing hard corps football.

Maybe the players will know what hard corps football is after a stinging loss to Maryland.

Several players were knocked out of the game, including the starting tight end and a receiver. The Eagles only score came when QB Mitch Schwartz broke a 60 yard run during the fourth quarter.

Against Maryland’s “C” team.

QB Engle started the game, but was benched because of poor play in favor of Schwartz. Between them they passed for an anemic 69 yards.

Maryland RB Gifford Salvatori rushed for three scores on 109 yards as the passing game and backups added three more touchdowns as well. Three field goals allowed Maryland to break the half-century mark.

Meanwhile, Head Coach Abe Sargent looked like he aged a half century.”

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 02:58 AM   #13
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2032

Week 6 – Columbia

We travel to Columbia to try and rejuvenate our season with a victory over their 0-4 Ivy League selves. It’s all about the Un-Un-beaten teams. Or, rather, the Beaten teams.

How long will the madness last?

In the continuing struggle to find players to come to Eastern, I have stumbled across a great DE in New York that no one else is chasing. I went after him, and I hope that he’ll consider us.

I’m sure Columbia will remember us. We gave them their first win of the season.

We lost. 40-17.

We were winning 14-10 at the half, then our defense fell apart.

I blame our defense for this loss, not backup QB Engle, who went 17 of 30 for 251 yards, 1 TD and 1 Int. He didn’t lose the game for us. Our defense did, with its 0 turnovers and 0 sacks.

This team couldn’t find a win with a compass and a flashlight.

Week 7 – Akron

Akron is 0-5, we’re 0-5. What more is there to say, really? I mean, if we emerge with, say, a 1-11, 2-10, 0-12 season after THIS schedule, we really would be the lowest of the low.

Plus the game is in our backyard.

Akron 51
Eastern 36

The sighs continue.

QB Engle – 23 of 45 for 339 yards, 4 TDs, 1 Int, and a 2-pt conversion. He is getting better each week.

We scored our highest total this season. And we are 0-6.

Week 8 – Ohio

Do I start QB Swinford or stay with the hot hand of Engle? Swinford is now probable. I elect to go with Engle for this week, with Swinford as the primary backup.

Ohio is 1-6. And yet they are favored by 18. Damn.

We are busy hosting all of the players coming to EMU for a visit. Not a great mix of players, but I’ll take what huddled masses can get. EMU is the Statue of Liberty of the MAC.

Visiting are a QB, TE, 3x WR, 2x C, G, DE, DT, CB, 2x S

Will miracles never cease?

Eastern Michigan 30
Ohio 6

In Ohio!

Engle went 26 of 38 for 255 yards and a TD. Look at that, the kid is getting more efficient at running this offense.

RB McNeil had his first 100 yard game with 16 carries for 121 yards and a TD.

MVP of the Game: RB Kris McNeil!

Makes it all seem worthwhile, doesn’t it?

Engle starts next week.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 02:59 AM   #14
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

“Our guest this week on ‘Michigan Sports!’ is Head Coach of Eastern Michigan University’s football team, Abe Sargent. The Eagles had their first win of the week this week in Ohio, and they’ve been getting better with time – don’t let that 1-6 record fool you. This is a team which could turn it on down the stretch! And now, Abe Sargent!”

“Thanks Chuck, it’s great to be on your show, even for just a few minutes. Maybe you will want to bring me back sometime as the featured guest.”

“Maybe, Abe. You get the Eagles flying, and just maybe. Anyways, I wanted to talk to you a little about the Eagles, and you being a head coach. I understand that you have no football experience, is that right?”

“Right Chuck. Never played the game outside of a few informal games in a park on top of a landfill back in Wes Virginia.”

“And yet, you got your first win this week. What’s it been like?”

“In some ways, it’s been like a dream. Every football fan dreams of being able to make the calls. Now, as you probably know, my limited football knowledge leads me to not actually call the plays, so it’s just a figure of speech. But, so far, it’s been great. It’d be a lot better if we’d win more, of course.”

“Of course. Tell me what you have been doing so far as head coach.”

“Well, you probably know that I was brought in to meet the new NCAA standards for Div 1-A teams to keep their status.”

“Right.”

“And EMU needed 15,000 butts in the seats on the home games, we were averaging less than 11,000. So, I instituted a few programs with students, alumni, and the community. We also have a Faculty Partners program where faculty get in free, just like students. This has all helped increase our attendance, and this year, we are averaging around 16,000.”

“That’s great. I understand that you are going to start bringing in promotions?”

“Absolutely, that’s the next step. You get more people to attend a homecoming game by having activities and getting spirits up. I want to simulate that atmosphere every home game through various promotions and activities. This upcoming home game versus Central Michigan in a few weeks will be our first try. It will be Carnival Day at EMU. All children under 12 get in free, and parents who bring them get in half price. We’ll have clowns, a dunking booth with several players in it. I may even make an appearance at the dunking booth.”

“Sounds wonderful.”

“It should be. We have a hot air balloon coming in with free trips up in it, looking at the game the entire time it is being played. There will also be a climbing wall set up. You get the idea.”

“Well, I hope it all works out for you.”

“I’m sure it will”

“Thanks for coming on the show, and I’ll take you up on that offer of appearing later on, if you can get the Eagles to soar.”

“Thanks for letting me come on.”

“Alright, folks, coming up next is…”

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 02:59 AM   #15
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2032

Week 9 – Ball State

We had a center and tight end verbally commit to EMU last week. We have even more people coming in this week. Hopefully we can convince a few more recruits to play.

QB Engle will start this week, with Swinford riding the pine.

Ball State is 0-6. Will these Un-Undefeated teams never cease? And they are favored by one. How funny is that?

In hindsight, maybe that was a fair move.

Ball State: 31
EMU: 3

That’s an ass-handing defeat.

Engle tossed a couple of picks as we were unable to mount any sort of offense.

Our top two DTs were knocked out, so some random player will start there.

Week 10 – Bye Week

Last week we pulled in a RB. And we lost 10 candidates who, I am sure, were just knocked down by our sterling performance at Ball State. We need a bye week to lick some wounds.

Concentrating on recruits, we pull in a DT and a ILB. We are running out of time for our offensive recruits, though.

Week 11 – Central Michigan

CMU is on a five game losing skid at 2-5. Yet they are favored by 10 in our stadium. It’s Carnival Day here in Ypsilanti, and I expect to have screaming fans turn the tables on CMU and deliver a win for the Eagles.

Central 37
Eastern 24

Ah well, the fans got a real show – as opposed to a blowout.

We scored two TDs in the last three minutes of the game.

Engle passed a couple of Ints, and Swinford, in relief, tossed a TD. I smell another controversy brewing. Not much of one though, because our team sucks badly and most people don’t care.

Backup OLB Darryl Nixon returned a interception 44 yards for a TD.

We bring in a G, OLB, CB, and S

Week 12 – Western Michigan

We’ve lost a couple of recruits to WMU, and I’d like to stick it to them. Western is 4-4, so this may not be the best game ever, and they are favored by 18.

Worst spanking yet. 59-6. That’s painful. I winced after that game.

We brought in a QB – let’s hope he’s halfway decent.

My coach kicked a field goal with 3 secs left on the clock. I like his initiative. What I don’t like are the three picks Engle lobbed. Swinford is back in the saddle next week.

I release a TE who is causing me academic headaches. Staraight D-‘s and E’s is not good times.

Will this season ever end?

Week 13 – Northern Illinois

Hosting a 4-6 team would normally be a cause for celebration. Oh yeah, I forgot, were frickin’ 1-infinity.

How terribly droll.

I contact some receivers and see if they want to play at EMU. All of our potential recruits have committed by now, and we still need WRs.

37-7 and Northern Illinois is only one game away from a .500 season. We are 1-10 and one game away from oblivion.

Swinford joined his brethren with 3 picks and 8 sacks. No scores. And K Coles couldn’t even score, going 0-3 on the day for FG attempts.

Could we suck more?

I decide to try out QB Mitch Schwartz in the final game, just to see what happens. I’ll laugh if he comes out passing like Montana on LSD.

Week 14 – Bowling Green

We travel to Bowling Green to take on the…ah…who cares? They are a good team and we are not. They are 7-3. We are not.

And this season ends as it began. With another loss.

37-24. Respectable at least.

QB Schwartz threw 4 Ints, and 2 TDs to match them.

WR Horton went 6 catches for 155 yards. That’s good stuff. He had 53 YAC too, so it wasn’t all catching. And ILB Maloney returned a pick for a TD. Good stuff all around.

And no recruits came this week.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 02:59 AM   #16
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

MAC Report (On their Website)

West Division

The west was won this year, not by Toledo, but by Bowling Green. Their 8-4 record was good enough to secure them a spot in the MAC Championship. Good luck goes out to Bowling Green.

East Division

It’s no surprise when Marshall wins the east. Even less when they go 11-1. Marshall’s only loss this year was to Kansas State.

MAC Championship Game

In a battle of champions, Marshall proved they had too much for Bowling Green. Marshall won with a 59-0 victory, and never let up in cruising over West Champ Bowling Green.

Due to their victory, Marshall secured a spot in the Motor City Bowl versus Arizona. Bowling Green will be traveling to the Tangerine Bowl to battle Wisconsin. Miami of Ohio, with a 9-3 record, was the first at large selection this year, chosen by the Queen City Bowl because the Big East did not have enough eligible teams. Miami of Ohio plays Georgia.

MAC Champ on Top!!!

Marshall defeated Arizona in the Motor City with a 24-10 victory. Marshall finished the season with only one loss as they continue to rack up victories.

MAC At Large Bid Loses

Miami of Ohio was outclassed in their loss to #24 Georgia in the Queen City Bowl. Their 35-10 loss will prevent the MAC from possibly being undefeated in bowls this year.

MAC West Champion Loses

Bowling Green was simply outclassed and outgunned in their 52-7 loss to Wisconsin in the Tangerine Bowl. Their loss puts the MAC at 1-2 for the year in Bowl Games.

Marshall finishes Eleven in the Standings

MAC Champion Marshall finishes the season at #11 in the standing and 8th in the final poll. Marshall only had one loss for the season and won the Motor City Bowl versus Arizona.

From a forum posting at MAC website:

The Fiesta Bowl, pitting #1 Miami versus #4 Auburn, played today. Miami won 35-30. It was a good game.

-Steveins

Copyright 2032

I chose to be loyal to Marshall and voted for QB Jeff Reese from Marshall for the Heisman. Daryl McIntyre, QB for Texas A&M won though. Jeff came in 5th in the voting.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:00 AM   #17
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

New Recruits:

QB Darrin Wall, Marquette, MI, 55++, 2.62, 611th Nationally
RB Cornelius Dyson, Cold Spring, MN, 61+, 3.22, 750th Nationally
TE Melvin Sanford, Pittsburgh, PA, 56+, 3.57
WR Casey Kovel, Galena Park, TX, 53-, 3.95
WR Rico Sarfaty, Burton, TX, 44-, 2.97
C Marlon Hutton, Burlington, MA, 65+, 3.32, 657th Nationally
G Terry Padilla, Janesville, MN, 67+, 3.27, 766th Nationally
DT Marshall Madison, Millersburg, PA, 61+, 3.13, 967th Nationally
OLB Roy Portillo, Lake Forest, IL, 67-, 3.41
CB Jared Harvey, Allentown, NJ, 59+, 2.83
S Wendell Hale, Monroe, MI, 48+, 3.97

Some stats for the year:

No QB did a good job at the helm

RB Kris McNeil, 105 rushes for 540 yards and 4 TDs, 36 grabs for 247 yards
WR Kelly Rivera, 36 snags for 491 yards and 2 TDs
WR Sean Horton, 35 catches for 580 yards and 4 TDs

ILB Gilbert Blanchette, 109 Tacks, 34 Assts, 1 Sacks, 12 TFL, 3 Ints, 3 FF
S Kris Stansell, 82 Tacks, 26 Assts, 8 TFL, 1 Int, 1 PasDef, 1 FF, 2 FumRec
S Grady Jamison, 80 Tacks, 42 Assts., 7 TFL, 6 Ints, 5 PasDef, 3 FF, 1 FumRec
DE Gene Gomez, 13 Tacks, 4 Assts, 6.5 Sacks, 7 TFL

T Jay Downs, 20 KRB out of 61 KRO, 6 SkA

Awards:

S Grady Jamison on national All-Academic Team.
WR Sean Horton - Top Offensive Freshman, MAC
ILB Gilbert Blanchette – 1st Team, MAC
S Grady Jamison – 2nd Team, MAC

Four players named to MAC All Academic Team.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:00 AM   #18
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We finished the season ranked #122.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:01 AM   #19
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Off-Season and Performance:

Average Attendance for the year at home games: Approx. 16,000

Alumni Donations: 1
Team Performance: 7
TV Revenue: 15
Academic Performance: 43
Recruiting: 100

Someone wanna tell me how my sad sorry recruiting class ranked 100?

S Roosevelt Dock failed a class and DT Corwin Hawkins was suspended for drug use.

My Defensive Coordinator was hired away.

Meet my new Defensive Coordinator:

Randy Shaw
32 Yrs
Decent, Excellent, Decent, Fair
Fair, Decent, Very Good

I fired my Syndicate Coordinator Tyrell Lavender and hired a new coordinator:

Dennis Denner
42 Yrs
Decent, Poor, Decent

I decide to keep Offensive Coordinator Neal Finister on staff due to his experience with the Singleback formation.

I hire a new SW Scout, MW Scout, DS Scout, and SE Scout.

I have a new Head Scout (Great Lakes):

Billy Joe Goodwin
63 Yrs
Fair, Terrific, Poor, Excellent, Lousy, Fair, Pretty Good, Decent

My philosophy behind scouts in other regions is to hire those with the most non-kicker categories rated red or yellow. But, for my head scout, I need to most non-kicker categories rated average or better. Hence Billy Joe.

When I go to schedule I find that Weeks 5-13 are booked. That’s a nasty series of games. I have Yale and Miami of Ohio in my schedule already. I need other schools, preferably bad ones.

I try to bring in Louisiana-Lafayette, but they refuse. Stanford makes me an offer to play there. I counter by offering a game at my place, but they refuse. Kansas also makes me an offer for an away game. My counter offer is again refused. Cornell rejects my overtures and Kansas offers an away game again. I again counter with a home game – they refuse. Southern Methodist wants me to go play at them. I’m not sure I can even find Southern Methodist on a map, but I tell them that if they want to come to Ypsilanti, they can have a game. They reject my offer. I offer a game o Princeton at EMU, they refuse. Kansas offers me yet another away game. I decide to try an Away this year, home next year offer. They reject me. North Texas comes ringing. I offer them a home game, and they accept. Louisiana-Monroe also rejects my offer, so the game automatically assigns me an away game at Washington State. I bet they’re pleased…

Schedule:

Week 1 – NORTH TEXAS
Week 2 – at Washington State
Week 3 – Bye
Week 4 – Bye
Week 5 – AKRON
Week 6 – at Yale
Week 7 – BALL STATE
Week 8 – MIAMI OF OHIO
Week 9 – at Northern Illinois
Week 10 – at Bowling Green
Week 11 – at Western Michigan
Week 12 – CENTRAL MICHIGAN
Week 13 – at Toledo

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:01 AM   #20
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let’s take a look at those freshman I just brung in, eh?

QB Darrin Wall – My best QB, needs devo time but may end up playing in order for him to learn on the job

RB Cornelius Dyson – My best RB who also needs some devo, but may play anyways.

TE Melvin Sanford – An absolute hoss! I will redshirt him in order to keep him longer while I develop the rest of the team.

WR Casey Kovel – Barely adequate – good compared to the previous WRs

WR Rico Sarfaty – Just like Kovel, weak but better than his predecessors.

C Marlon Hutton – What do you say to a man with a 86/69/89 set of stats. I say, wowzers!

G Terry Padilla – No current blocking abilities, but potentials in the 70’s. Good future Guard.

DT Marshall Madison – I need at least one DT to play ball. Marshall has very low current stats, but average potentials in the 50’s. I’ll play him because all of my DTs have stats in the sub-20 area, so it’s not a big dropoff, and when he plays to his potential, it’ll be better.

ILB Jamal Garrett – Great future ILB who needs to develop. He has potentials in the 90’s and 70’s, except for his 29 in endurance.

OLB Roy Portillo – I’d be crazy not to start Roy out of the box, with current stats in the 20’s and maxes in the 60’s. 100 Endurance, too.

CB Jared Harvey – Good future CB has 0’s in most current stats. Needs redshirt time.

S Wendall Hale – Not that great. Just a stopgap player for now.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:01 AM   #21
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

“Eagles Start Hatchlings

Heath McNamara
Detroit News

Apparently, the Head Coach of Eastern Michigan University’s football team didn’t like his predecessor’s players. Abe Sargent, who has only been head coach for last year’s 1-11 forgettable campaign, has chosen to start an amazing nine of his recruits this year. Out of 22 starting spots on offense or defense, that number is incredible.

When asked for comment, Abe said, “We won’t get better by being pokey. Need to be aggressive and get some players out there who will learn. Who will get better.”

Starting true freshmen straight out of the gate in uncommon in college football. A team that starts two, three, or four true freshmen generates a lot of publicity. Starting nine is unheard of.

If, in fact, Abe Sargent is trying to turn over a new leaf for his team, starting nine new players is a great way of doing it. They will better.

They had better do so quickly.”

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:02 AM   #22
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

After a needed nap over the summer, I take a look at the depth charts and the coordinators and myself argue and haggle over the chart. We eventually decide on:

QB Mitchell Swinford – Freshman Darrin Wall is not ready yet and will be given crimson garb.

RB Cornelius Dyson (3) – True Freshman Cornelius is definitely our best option. He will grow on the job.

TE Melvin Sanford (3) – NOTHING keeps me from playing Melvin and his freshman self. He is the best offensive player not on the line.
WR Sean Horton (2) – True Sophomore played for us last year. Hopefully he can develop into a good option.
WR Kelly Rivera - Not a great player, but better than other options.
WR Casey Kovel (3) – True Freshman, but has poor stats in a few areas.

C Marlon Hutton (3) – True Freshman needs to play sooner as opposed to later.
G Terry Padilla (3) – Another True Freshman, his very low current stats do not hide the fact that most of my other Gs have low stats too. His high potential puts him in the front.
G Howard Gordon – Best of the worst.
T Jay Downs (1) – My scout rates his potential much lower than the previous one did.
T Freddie Romig – Same with Jay – the new scout is not impressed.

P Everett Borden (1) – Good power, poor at getting it under the 20.
K Matthew Maurer (2) – Placeholder until I find a better kicker out there.

DE Lionel Carper (2) – Definitely my best DE, Lionel would play a fiddle on most teams – here were need him to be dominant.
DE Darren Lowe (2) – Not great, but as a little development coming.
DT Marshall Madison (3) – True Freshman who, like the others, needs serious development but can still be better than the other options.

ILB Jerald Edwards – Good at pass rush and run stopping – bad coverage skills.
ILB Jamal Garrett (3) – Boy would I be stupid not to put this playmaker on the field.
OLB Roy Portillo (3) – One more True Freshman for the team, Roy is the best option.
OLB Ralph Porter (2) – Barely adequate OLB, but has some devo opportunities

CB Jared Harvey (3) – You saw this coming – another True Freshman getting the start.
CB Bert Unverzagt (1) – Bad corner, and needs to be replaced.
S Kris Stansell – Developed S who could start for a lot of teams, he’ll be a star this year; I can feel it.
S Kendrick Walters – One of the few areas where a veteran beat out a freshman, Kendrick is just better developed. My secondary cannot be a sieve.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:02 AM   #23
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2032

I look around to see what positions I need to focus upon during recruiting. I still need a good QB. I also need a good WR, maybe two. I need another G, T for my O-line, and I could use two Ts. A good P and K are essential. My current DEs are poor, and I would like an upgrade at the position. I need another ILB and OLB. I also need another CB and S. That leaves me with the following list:

QB, WR x2, G, T x2, P, K, DE x2, ILB, OLB, CB, S = 14 players

I have five RBs and two FBs. I decide to release RB Grady Bookwalter; He has a low GPA and needs to focus on his class work. I also release DT Levon Burton, a walk-on DT with the same low grades. These guys need to get their stuff straight. Neither were even on the depth chart. I figure that they need to get their priorities in order.

OLB Ralph Porter got a 4.0 last year. I gave him a ball autographed by everyone on the team last year.

Week 1 – North Texas

I honestly don’t know too much about NTx. Damn Sun Belt teams. We are favored by three when the North Texas Whatever come to Ypsilanti.

I need to hit the recruiting trail hard and early. Once again, no recruits idolize EMU. Can you blame them?

Both the Michigan and Ohio crop is weak this year. I’ll need to go elsewhere. That’s a bad sign. I begin to hit Indiana this week. There is a Punter nearby I really like, but he’s the second ranked punter in the nation, and I figure that someone else will get him. Still, I offer him a scholarship in case he wants to stay home.

My prestige fell to 61 overall this year.

I need to take a trip to Kentucky next week. There were a few candidates there I really need to see.

We lose to North Texas, 25-22. QB Swinford tossed a pick and 205 yards, but no TDs. RB Cornelius Dyson rushed 20 times for 113 yards and a TD. That’s a running game, folks! He gets my game ball.

S Stansell, what did I say? He would be a star this year? How about 2 Ints, one returned 95 yards for a TD? He is close to a game ball. My Kicker though missed an XP, but was 3 of 4 on FGs for the day. Still, one more FG and the XP and we woulda won. Of course, if my QB had coverted one of those FGs into a TD, we woulda won too, so I don’t place too much blame at Maurer’s feet.

Week 2 – Washington State

Boy do I not want to travel to W. State. #38 Washington State is favored by 18.

I hit Kentucky and find out that, wow, they have a lot of good ball players down there. I offer some scholarships and come away happy.

Since I’m in the area, I hit up North Carolina and Georgia. I never hit anything below Pittsburgh and Cincinnati last year, so this is a new thing for me. Maybe I should have come down here. I find a great OLB in Georgia that I offer a scholarship too.

My Punter project has received offers from Michigan, Michigan State, Kansas State, Colorado, Notre Dame and Texas. I don’t think he’ll consider me much. I make some phone calls to punters and kickers around the country to gauge their interest.

Well, Washington State won their first game. We lost our first game. 52-0. That’s an official thumping.

Here was QB Swinford’s stat line for the game. This is truly awful:

1 for 15, 40 yards, 0 TDs, 4 Ints

He was, needless to say, benched by Engle, who came in and went a blistering 11 of 17 for 104 yards. Well, on a scale of crappiness, Engle did better. If Swinford pulls another stinker like this one, don’t expect him to see much play for a while.

Week 3 – Bye Week

The first of our two week hiatus leads me into hard recruiting. I swing by Pennsylvania for a little trip. There are a nice guard and punter in the state, and I offered both scholarships, although I think both will go elsewhere.

While I’m in Pennsylvania, I ponder a map of the US and a list of scout reports to see where I want to go next. I decide to drive down to Maryland and check out a few recruits there. After a few visits, I like a guard there, and request a visit. I then come back home to hit training with my team.

Week 4 – Bye Week

As the byes continue, I again hit the road trying to sell my “EMU – Soon to be a dynasty” message.

I swing into Illinois in my attempts. There is a great guard out there that no one else has offered a scholarship to, yet. I hit him up for a trip to EMU as a new Eagle. Then, a few miles down the road I find a great tackle also sitting by himself waiting for calls. I try to sell him the same story, and I let him know that plays for my team are playing sooner rather than later.

I finally swing by that kicker here I had called earlier, and I find out that he is much better than my scout thought. I also offer him a scholarship.

Then I try a corner and find out that he is much better as well. Illinois is like a veritable gold mine of players that have been passed over thus far. It was a worthwhile trip, I think.

DE Kendrick Owens was caught violating team rules and I suspend him.

Week 5 – Akron

We are favored by two, which is sort of funny when you consider that my team is 1-13 since I’ve taken over. QB Swinford is on a short rope, but will start this week.

I drive over to New York for this week’s recruiting fest, but it wasn’t very fruitful.

We lose again. Can’t be surprised by that.

31-21.

RB Cornelius Dyson – 14 rushes for 92 yards and 2 TDs, 4 catches for 48 yards and a TD
WR Casey Kovel – 5 grabs for 100 yards
QB Mitchell Swinford – 19 of 37 for 314 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int

Not bad performances from my offense. Hey, they scored.

Week 6 – Yale

2-2 Yale is favored by 2. Let’s see what happens later this week when we travel to Yale and try to take them out.

I travel to Wisconsin and Minnesota this week in attempts to find more recruits. Didn’t find much though.

And would you believe that Yale hit their spread exactly? 46-44, in Overtime.

We scored 44 points. Wow. Unfortunately RB Dyson will be out for 8 weeks with knee surgery.

Anyways, here are a few stats that should wake people up:

QB Mitchell Swinford, 26 of 52, 404 yards, 4 TDs, 1 Int
WR Sean Horton, 5 catches for 135 yards, 2 TDs

Interesting game. Swinford is now entrenched as the starting QB.

RB Duane Osborne will start at the RB spot. This is a big dropoff in ability, so I can’t predict what will happen. Still, we have about all the momentum an 0-4 team can possibly have, heading into next week.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:02 AM   #24
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Part of a conversation, “Michigan Sports: Live!” on Saturday evening at 11:30 pm.

Scott Harnwick, Host: “Let’s move on to a smaller school that doesn’t seem to get much attention: Eastern Michigan. What’s you take on the Eagles this year?”

Jeff Gobsted, Sportswriter: “Well Scott, this is a team that’s 0-4. But, it’s an improving 0-4 that’s starting what, 10 Freshmen? They are a more serious threat than you might think, and I believe that some MAC teams are going to overlook the Eagles, and get bitten by them. I think they’ll finish the season 3-8.”

Stacy Himes, Reports: “I think Jeff is a little optimistic. Here we have a team with their lead running back injured for a while. Yeah, they went into overtime at Yale, but it was at Yale, not a real school. My kid’s junior high team wouldn’t be scared by Yale, let alone a Division 1-A team. If they win 3 games this year, it will because they lucked into it, not because they deserve it.”

Scott: “Interesting. What is your take on Head Coach Abe Sargent so far?”

Stacy: “Unorthodox, which you would expect from a random guy. It is really like Eastern just picked a guy off the streets, and I think it shows.”

Jeff: “Come on Stacy. Abe has nothing to work with. The Eagles were a laughingstock of the MAC before Abe came around, and its not like the MAC is the best conference anyway. I think he is doing well, he just needs some time.”

Scott: “And speaking of time, we are out of it. See you next week when our guests will be….”

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:02 AM   #25
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2032

Week 7 – Ball State

0-4 Ball State is favored by two when they come to town. I am sick of these piss poor teams being favored in MY stadium. This has to end. I do the recruiting rounds with renewed vigor.

And will wonders never cease?

Eastern: 37
Ball State: 24

That sound you hear? Oh yeah, it’s me JUMPING UP AND DOWN. Heheheh.

WR Sean Horton was knocked around a bit, he’ll be questionable for the next game.

Player of the Game:

WR Casey Kovel, 9 catches for 172 yards and a TD, 55 YAC.

Some other stats:

QB Mitchell Swinford, 28 of 42 for 314 yards, 5 TDs, and 3 Ints
TE Melvin Sanford, 4 grabs for 421 yards and a TD
RB Duane Osborne, 19 carries for 102 yards

Nice day. I sleep comfortably for the first time in a while.

Week 8 – Miami of Ohio

The 3-2 Miami squad rolls in Ypsilanti carrying a 10 point advantage. Can we pull out another win? Can we?

There are a bunch of guys eating lunch across from me here at EMU. Recruits from all over have arrived to visit the campus, tour the facilities, and so forth. I hope our victory will not be lost on them.

I recruit a bunch with them, before making a trip to Montana. We have heard about a QB out there and I want to see him. And lo, he is as good as my scouts say, and only Colorado has offered him a scholarship. I spent a lot of time talking to him. If we could pull him in, this would be a great year indeed!

Some of the recruits stay to watch the Miami of Ohio game. We need to play well to impress them.

Our loss 42-27 is bad. I spin it though, and tell them that this is a sign that we need recruits, and I remind them that we need players badly – they get to start quicker. That is what we have to offer, a quicker route through college, and maybe on to the pros.

A guard and a tackle are convinced by my logic. Four other players are not and make commitments as soon as they get home.

Swinford had a nice day, tossing 4 TDs and no picks, and completing 50% of his passes. WR Rivera had a 100+ yard day, and RB Osborne rushed for 91 yards, so it wasn’t like we did nothing or anything.

Ah well, let’s see if we can convince some more recruits to join us.

Week 9 - Northern Illinois

We are ten point underdogs at Northern Illinois.

Apparently, we were not to only ones to knock on the door of my Montana QB last week. Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, and South Carolina all made offers, and he is visiting the five of us to make up his mind. He wants to stay close to home, and Oklahoma is closer to him than us. Plus he likes a good academic school – and that’s not us. But, I like to think that he’ll decide to come to us due to a similarity on climate – it’s not like Oklahoma or South Carolina. So, we’ll see what happen, and I have my fingers crossed so tight my knuckles hurt.

I hit up a few players around the area in order to fill in some gaps.

We lose 53-14. I hope that doesn’t send some recruits away.

RB Osborne racks up 83 yards and two scores.
QB Swinford tosses a couple of picks.

OLB Ralph Porter is questionable after a sprained knee.

I get e-mails that my K and P both rejected us. But, that’s it, not as bad a fallout as it could have been.

Week 10 – Bowling Green

Not much to say this week. Recruiting consisted of just hitting the same players up again.

And Bowling Green is 4-3 and favored by 10 points.

And they win 33-6. And they are now ranked nationally, at #50.

Whereas we are sucking the hind cow’s tit at #119.

Swinford threw another pair of picks. Our defense caused no turnover, no sacks. With that kind of pressure, my arthritic grandmother and her four dead siblings could field an offense that’s put up 33 points.

I pull in a TE, and nothing else as we get five rejections.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:03 AM   #26
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2032

Week 11 – Western Michigan

The horror continues as we march to WMU and try to overcome our 8 point underdog status, and ourselves, and rack another victory against the 3-5 Broncos.

We lose again. 26-16.

We didn’t really have any outstanding performances, just normal, boring stuff. My kicker committed elsewhere, so I need to find yet another one to bring it.

A boring week all around, really.

Week 12 – Central Michigan

Are we actually favored to win a game? Wowzers!. Central comes in at 2-7 and we are actually favored by 2. We need to win another game, just to improve on last season’s total.

Georgia and South Carolina have withdrawn offers from my Montanan QBs, leaving just three options – Oklahoma, us, and Alabama.

We should not be sitting at Week 12 with only three recruits, and I’m felling a little antsy.

Of course, our team couldn’t find the Eiffel Tower in the middle of Paris, let alone find another win.

Central: 34
Eastern: 24

RB Dyson is back in the lineup for next week!

It was 21-21 at the beginning of the third quarter. They just let it loose in the 4th.

S Kris Stansell, Int return 76 yards for a TD. He gets my game ball.

Week 13 – Toledo

We are 1-9. This is our last chance for a second win. And to do it, we have to beat our rival in Toledo, with the Rockets ranked #25 and bearing an 8-1 record. Good luck.

I go on the backup recruiting trail, trying to find depth at positions. I am looking for smart, developed players for backup spots.

I’d really love to stuff it to Toledo.

We lose 37-7. Another one win season, how sad.

We get a WR recruit.

The score was 7-7 at the half. Then they woke up. RB Dyson did rush for another TD. I figure he’s back from his injury. My game ball goes to DE Carper who had 2.5 sacks.

1-10. I laugh.

At least it’s better than last year’s 1-11.

Week 14 – Bye

Oklahoma withdrew from the Montanan QB, so it’s between me and Alabama.

My good punter has also had a bunch of teams withdraw offers. It’s between me and Oregon. Since he’s from Massachusetts, I figure he’ll come to Ypsilanti.

I’m just sitting wand waiting for players to come or go elsewhere.

Week 15 – Bye

The punter came. As I thought. My ILB project did not, so I go looking for another.

Marshall , at 8-3 and ranked #26 plays Toledo at 10-1 and ranked #23 in the MAC Championship game. Toledo wins, 38-31.

I get a bunch of my recruits this week. Including.

MY QB!!!!!

Heheheheheh

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:03 AM   #27
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The MAC has three teams in bowl games:

Toledo vs Arizona State in the Motor City Bowl
Marshall vs Notre Dame in the Independence Bowl
Miami of Ohio vs Auburn in the Queen City Bowl

Notre Dame knocks off Marshall, 31-28
Auburn spanks Miami of Ohio – 35-7
Toledo apparently doesn’t even show up, losing 49-0

MAC goes 0-3 in their bowl games.

The Fiesta Bowl features Ohio State and Florida in a battle of unbeaten teams.

42-10 Ohio State. Not even close.

I vote for a WR in the voting for the Heisman. The winner is a QB from Georgia. And the WR I voted for came in 5th.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:04 AM   #28
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let’s look at some stats from the year:

QB Mitchell Swinford, 180 of 357 for 2326 yards, 16 TDs and 19 Ints. Sacked 40 times.
WR Casey Kovel, 53 grabs for 668 yards, 6 TDs

ILB Jerald Edwards, 95 Tacks, 31 Assts, 1.5 Sacks, 10 TFL, 1 FF, 1 FumRec
ILB Jamal Garrett, 86 Tacks, 27Assts, 8 TFL, 1 Int, 6 PasDef, 3 FF
DE Lionel Carper, 25 Tacks, 11 Assts, 6.5 Sacks, 6 TFL, 2 FumRec
S Kris Stansell, 57 Tacks, 21 Assts, 1 Sack, 7 TFL, 6 Ints, 2 Def TDs, 2 PasDef, 1 FF

C Marlon Hutton, 26 KRB out of 70 KRO, 6 SkA
G Terry Padilla, 19 KRB out of 60 KRO, 7 SkA

Our recruiting class:

QB Justin Goodwin, Belgrade, Montana, 85+, 3.06, 108th Nationally
TE Duane Conway, Sheboygan, Wisconsin, 66+, 3.65
WR Wesley Larson, Chittenango, New York, 65+, 3.43, 888th Nationally
WR Derrick Burroughs, Cattaraugus, New York, 55+, 3.61, 698th Nationally
G Lamont Harding, Emmaus, Pennsylvania, 73+, 3.54, 414th Nationally
T Wade Floyd, Johnston City, Illinois, 72+, 3.9, 353rd Nationally
T Bubba Crase, Alliance, Ohio, 46+, 3.27
P Myron McGee, Quincy, Massachusetts, 85+, 3.64, 474th Nationally
K Edward Balent, Seattle, Washington, 40+, 3.65
DE Leonard Parrish, Calhan, Colorado, 50+, 3.53
DE Grant Fletcher, Rio Vista, Texas, 44+, 3.81
ILB Gilbert Clemons, Paradise, California, 42-, 4.0
OLB Lamont Hardy, Phoenix, Arizona, 48+, 3.16
CB Percy Gianotta, Greensboro, North Carolina, 34+, 3.89
S Winfred Sinclair, Pocatello, Idaho, 55-, 3.41

A lot of my backups are not on scholarships, and have high GPAs.

Awards:

ILB Jamal Garrett – National Academic Team
WR Casey Kovel – National Freshman Team
DT Marshall Madison – National Freshman Team
ILB Jerald Edwards – MAC 1st Team
S Kris Stansell – MAC 2nd Team

3 players on MAC Academic Team

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:04 AM   #29
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Off Season

I finish the season with another 100 in recruiting. That’s the good news. I got a 45 Team Performance. I’d hate to see what I would have gotten if I had won a second game. 19 Alumni donations and 37 TV revenue – yet I was never on TV. Hmm.. 54 Academic, too.

3 players left my team due to a lack of playing time – a QB, G, and DE.

DE Lionel Carper was suspended for the year for fighting.

A scout and my defensive coordinator were hired away.

I hire a new Mid-Atlantic Scout and Defensive Coordinator. Meet the Coordinator:

Blaine Lucas
52 Yrs
Pretty Good, Excellent, Poor, Terrible
Decent, Decent, Lousy

For scheduling this year I again have weeks 5- 13 full. I don’t know who thought that was a good idea, but they were wrong.

I offer Army a home game. They refuse and, guess what? Kansas offers me another chance for an away game. I dance the dance again, offering a home game.

They accept.

Oregon State offers me an away game. I tell them no thanks, for right now. I try to schedule North Texas again, but as expected, they say no, but they counter with an away game. I diced to offer an away this year, home next. They accept.

Eastern Michigan University, Schedule, 2004

Week 1 – at North Texas
Week 2 – KANSAS
Week 5 – BUFFALO
Week 6 – at Yale
Week 7 – at Ball State
Week 8 – KENT
Week 9 – at Northern Illinois
Week 10 – at Bowling Green
Week 11 – WESTERN MICHIGAN
Week 12 – at Central Michigan
Week 13 – TOLEDO

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:04 AM   #30
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I take a look at our freshmen:

QB Justin Goodwin – Justin is. He just is. Dude has 90’s and 100’s in most stats for potential. Of course, he has very low current stats. I am going to redshirt him, and not for the obvious reasons either. The dude doesn’t have the people around him yet for an explosive offense. One more year of experience in the Singleback offense for my coach, hopefully at least one good receiver, a developed running back and Tight End – oh yeah, next year is going to be…fun.

TE Duane Conway – Looks to be a backup during his career here. May get red shirted for development

WR Derrick Burroughs – Has a great big play making abilities. Not so good in other areas, but may be just good enough there to earn a starting spot in the top three. If he doesn’t I’ll toss him a shirt.

WR Wesley Larson – Wesley is better than I thought. He has good potentials in a lot of areas – in the 60’s range mostly. Unfortunately, my kid sister of 3 years in age has more endurance than his sorry 2 out of 7 potential ass.

G Lamont Harding – A solid, if underwhelming guard. Might see play this year, might ride the pine. Will start sometime.

T Bubba Crase – Will be a backup only, most likely,

T Wade Floyd – Floyd needs a lot of development, but he has monstrous potentials everywhere except in endurance, where he is only 18 right now – 34 max.

P Myron McGee – A nice punter with great stats. He’ll probably start this year.

K Edward Balent – Probably an upgrade at the position, but not necessarily. May start this year.

DE Leonard Parrish – A run defense specialist, he may see some starting time in a couple of years.

DE Grant Fletcher – Poor current stats mixed with low potentials will see Grant never be more than a backup.

ILB Gilbert Clemons – Another player who will never be anything other than a career backup.

OLB Lamont Hardy – Could be a marginal starter after he grows into the OLB role. Will wear a shirt this year.

CB Percy Gianotta – Not a shutdown corner, and not a cakewalk either, Percy should be a halfway decent corner.

S Winford Sinclair – I went ahead and gave Sinclair a scholarship. The layer will start sooner or later, based on how he looks and has performed so far. No weaknesses and great in man-to-man coverage.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:05 AM   #31
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Our Starters:

QB Darrin Wall (3) – Just a placeholder until Justin gets on his feet.

RB Cornelius Dyson (2) – Hopefully won’t be hurt this year.

TE Melvin Sanford (2) – Didn’t develop much last year – this year the game plan will take him into account more.
WR Casey Kovel (2) – Not really that great, but he put up the stats
WR Sean Horton (1) – Needs to catch the ball better, too many dropped balls last year.
WR Derrick Burroughs (3) – I’m going to go ith the young playmaker in the third slot.

C Marlon Hutton (2) – Damn. Good. Center.
G Terry Padilla (2) – Working up to a good guard
G Lamont Harding (3) – I decide to start the True Freshman. He’s actually my 2nd best guard already. And that’s sad.
T Wade Floyd (3) – Oh yeah, he’ll start. I need him
T Jay Downs – Old man on the line.

P Myron McGee (3) – I’m going to start him as a True Freshman. I punt so much, he may be a grizzled veteran by the end of the season.
K Matthew Maurer (1) – Best current kicker. My freshman has been red shirted.

DE Leonard Parrish (3) – Yet another starting True Freshman. Here, I want my guy to slam into quarterbacks.
DE Gene Gomez – Most developed of my DEs.
DT Marshall Madison (2) – Didn’t really grow much last year. Probably was doubled teamed a lot.

ILB Jamal Garrett (2) – Learned a lot on the job last year, and will probably be the center of this defense.
ILB Mo Hevey – Decent if unassuming ILB. Good at zone and stopping the run – bad at other things.
OLB Roy Portillo (2) – Also learned a lot last year. I’ll play him on the opposite side as Jamal in order to balance my defense.
OLB Ralph Porter – Adequate. Barely.

CB Jared Harvey (2) – Will get burned occasionally, but is learning the game.
CB Bert Unverzagt – Still not that good, but will have to do.
S Winfred Sinclair (3) – Have a deficiency in quality at safety which forces me to play Winfred.
S Wendall Hale (3) – Sophomore that is just not that good. Ah well.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:08 AM   #32
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

“Eastern Freshman Again Starting

Heath McNamara
Detroit News

After starting a record nine freshmen last year, you’d probably think that Eastern Michigan University’s Head Coach Abe Sargent would have few spaces to start freshmen this year.

You’d be wrong.

This year, Eastern will feature six more true freshmen, straight from high school to the field. All told, this gives Eastern a total of seventeen starters who are sophomores or freshmen – a staggering amount.

In fact, he could have started more, and some thought that freshman kicker Edward Balent or freshman QB Justin Goodwin might get the starting job this year. Abe has brought in some youth to invigorate his team, and it seems like he has done so.

Has he gone overboard? Or is he cleaning house? Time will tell.

Apparently the Eagles have time now.”

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:08 AM   #33
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2032

Wendall Hale had a 4.0 last year. He got the customary autographed football.

Week 1 – North Texas

After some practices, I decide to go with P Everett Border, and I hand McGee a red shirt.

Poring over my roster, I realize that I need a:

RB, stud WR, C, T, stud K, DE, DT, 2x ILB, CB, S = 11 players. And, of course anything else that falls in my lap.

We are on TV this week. That’s funny. Can you imagine anybody sitting down to watch a great old football game, and deciding on Eastern and North Texas? I can’t.

North Texas is favored by six. I want to smash their southern mouths flat. Everybody I know from Texas is arrogant. I hate Texas.

Once again there are no players that idolize Eastern. Our prestige has plummeted to 58 overall. I vist players around Michigan and Ohio. I also make calls to a bunch of receivers to gauge their interest.

We lose 17-20. Close.

QB Darrin Wall was hit and miss in his debut. 15 of 25 for 191 yards, 2 TDs, and 2 Ints.

In Burroughs debut, he grabbed 7 balls for 86 yards and a TD. Nice.

Well, let’s hope we can stay in most of our games this year. That would be something.

Week 2 – Kansas

I have a friend who is so happy that Kansas is coming to town. Well, anyways, we are favored by one. That’s what I like to see.

I swing through Illinois on my recruiting trail and offer a scholarship to a great receiver. I also scout out a few players, then I start calling a bunch of safeties trying to find a good one who might be interested.

We lose to Kansas, 15-17.

We score three field goals, but miss the 2-pt conversion for a tie with 5:38 left in the game. We miss a field goal of 52 yards with 2:49 left on the clock. Again, a close one.

RB Dyson – 23 rushes for 111 yards and a TD

Darrin Wall tossed up a couple of picks. We really don’t have anybody on the bench who could do better, so we’ll have to ride Wall the whole season.

Week 3 – Bye

Again, bye weeks mean more concentration on recruiting. I head over to Missouri for a little scout. I found a couple of gems in a safety and receiver. I offer them scholarships. I then drive up to Iowa to check out a couple of recruits and a lot of cornfields. I head home after more farms than I can shake a stick at. How can people live in such a droll place?

Week 4 – Bye

I slept in today, haven’t done that in ages. I am going to start handing out an official game ball next week and announce the winner on a radio show.

I drive down to Indiana and look at a few folks. I’m not in Indiana very long before I head back north to Minnesota. I then drive back through Wisconsin and ht up a few more recruits before coming home.

One recruit told me that he was strongly considering interest from Western Michigan. I wanted to strangle the man.

Week 5 – Buffalo

The former Div 1-AA 0-2 Buffalo is a favorite by two in my house. My house. More like my parking lot, with all the respect it gets.

I swing through Pennsylvania trying to find players.

We win! 35-12. Muahaha. Let the beating commence! Our annual victory has taken place.

Game MVP and Game Ball:

RB Cornelius Dyson, 31 rushes for 233 yards, 3 TDs

Our boy has become a man today…

Other notables include Wall’s 2 TDs, 0 pick day, and C Hutton’s 8 Key Run Blocks!

Week 6 – Yale

Yes, that’s right – we have a chance at going, *gasp*, .500 if we win at Yale. Let’s not get our skirt blown up to high though, cause it’s not like we’re riding this huge string of victories.

I drive into New York for a little scouting and a little perusing. I even take a short jaunt up to Connecticut and offer a scholarship to a safety there. Not the best trip I’ve ever had, but it’ll do.

We scrub out at Yale, losing 38-21.

And yet we were winning 14-10 at the half and 21-17 at the end of the third. In fact, we were winning 21-17 with 4:00 minutes left, when Yale breaks out a huge offensive showing and scores three TDs. Would have helped if Wall hadn’t tossed a pick there and set them up beautifully.

There are a couple of directions I can go with the game ball. WR Burroughs had 6 grabs for 108 yards, for example. But, I have to stay true to my roots:

Game Ball - RB Cornelius Dyson – 27 carries for 126 yards and 2 TDs.

Our defense really sucked the pooch up on that game, with no sacks, and no turnovers. Oh yeah, and giving up three TD’s in four minutes.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:09 AM   #34
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Weekly Press Conference, Eastern Michigan

Abe Sargent, Head Coach: “I want to start off that RB Dyson has three consecutive 100 yard games. He received my game ball for today’s effort versus Yale. We lost, and I’m a little upset, because we were winning late. But, it’s important to note that we’ve been in every game this year. This is not necessarily a 1-3 team, and I don’t expect the losing to continue.”

Steve Sharkly, Ann Arbor News: “Abe, what do you say to critics who claim you have no ability to motivate a team.”

Abe: “Motivation is, I believe, overrated. You either succeed or fail. All motivation does is make you less upset when you lose. Look, football is a physical and intellectual sport. It is not an emotional one, and anybody who is trying to sell you otherwise might write a good script for Lifetime, but not ESPN.”

Brian Stevenson, Detroit Free Press: “But doesn’t the fact that the Eagles have won only three games in the past 26 mean something?”

Abe: “Yeah, it means we were a bad ball club when I took over. And it means we are a young ball club today. It does not mean that we are un-motivated. And before you ask, no, it does not mean that I am a bad coach, or that we will make changes in the depth charts, so don’t ask.”

Ryan Foster, Eastern Echo: “What’s next, coach?”

Abe: “Ball State is the next team on our schedule.”

Stacy Himes, WXYZ News: “Can Eastern win another game this year, and if so, which won?”

Abe: “We win a lot of games. In practice, our team always wins. Always loses too.”

Stacy: “I don’t think you should be so smug.”

Abe: “I don’t think it’s the job of a third rate reporter to criticize or judge, but just to report. But, that’s me. How about you, Jeff, did you have a question?”

Jeff Hobsted, Freelance Sportswriter: “Yeah, any tips about recruits?”

Abe: “My policy on recruits still stands, we don’t mention them until we have them in the fold. Alright folks, I’m going to go take a nap. Have a good one.”

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:09 AM   #35
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2032

Week 7 – Ball State

I really enjoy Pepsi Blue. It’s like the only Pepsi product I drink.

We travel to Ball State where we are five point ‘dogs. I’d like to repeat our win from last year.

I go to Kentucky again and talk to a few seniors. I really like an ILB there and offer a scholarship. From there it’s into the Carolinas and Georgia.

Oh yeah, we win at Ball State:

Eastern: 28
Ball State: 25

Insert a [WHOOT] here, please.

With this victory we have equaled our victories from both of our previous years combined. Can’t rank us #122 anymore, can ya?

Look at Darrin Wall with his 23 of 32 for 253 yards and 3 TDs, no picks.

Game MVP and Game Ball – WR Derrick Burroughs - 8 grabs for 132 yards and 3 TDs

We are not just 2-3, by the way. We are 2-3 and 2-0 in the MAC. Hmm.

Week 8 – Kent State

Kent State is coming and we have another chance to get up to .500. This time, we are playing in our own turf, and yet we are three point underdogs to 2-3 Kent.

We are hosting some recruits, and again, some stay for the game.

And boy, do we put on a show for them.

Eastern: 41
Kent: 24

And we are playing .500 ball!!! We pull in a FB, but lose a receiver to Western, plus a lb and s go elsewhere. Still, I’m happy.

G Terry Padilla is out for 5 weeks with an extended knee.

Player of the Game: RB Cornelius Dyson, 34 rushes for 147 yards and 2 TDs
Game Ball: ILB Jamal Garrett, 6 Tacks, 2 Assts, 2 Ints

Other notables include:

QB Darrin Wall, 32 of 48 for 397 yards, 3 TDs, no Ints
WR Derrick Burroughs, 6 catches for 64 yards, 2 TDs
TE Sanford, 7 snatches for 98 yards

3-0 in the MAC baby. We are the only team undefeated in the MAC in the West. That means, we are leading the West! Hoowah!

Week 9 – Northern Illinois

And yet we are four point ‘dogs when we head to Northern Illinois. We have a chance to do something new, something amazing.

Become a winning team.

We have learned how to win.

A bunch more recruits came by this week. I have a feeling that some will be watching the game this week on their dish packages.

I spend the week hitting up recruits who have already decided to visit EMU, and I also make a quick trip back to New York to check out a few more recruits.

Unfortunately, we lose. Fortunately, it was close, and we beat the spread.

Northern Illinois: 52
Eastern Michigan: 49

ILB Mo Hevey is out for 23 weeks with a torn knee ligament. So, he’s out for good.

7 recruits tell us they are going elsewhere. Nobody commits to us.

Game Ball: QB Darrin Wall, 22 of 40 for 361 yards, 6 TDs, 2 Ints, 2 pt conversion.

WR Derrick Burroughs was close with 6 grabs for 135 yards and 3 TDs

But our defense was like the junior varsity squad from Sunnydale Retirement Home out there.

Fun times.

That loss drops us back to 3rd in the MAC West.

Week 9 – Bowling Green

Bowling Green is favored by a point when they host us this week.

We lose 18-28.

Game Ball: RB Cornelius Dyson, 15 rushes for 138 yards, 1 TD

5 more rejection letters followed.

It was a pretty boring week, all things told.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:10 AM   #36
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

“In a battle of cross state rivals, Western Michigan travels to Eastern Michigan in a big MAC showdown. If Western wins, they have the inside track to be the West Champion. If Eastern wins, they have as good a claim as anybody to lead the MAC West. The Broncos stampede into Ypsilanti to take on the Eagles, next, on TV5.”

Copyright 2032

Week 11 – Western Michigan

Our second game on TV. I am humbled. We are four point favorites, and I expect a big crowd. We are 2-1 at home, and I’d like for the winning to continue.

I am running out of recruits fast. This is going to be an ugly class. I have one commitment. From a fullback. I run a Singleback formation, so its not like the guy will play much, although I may use him I some sets as the featured back or tight end.

I see a couple of players over in Colorado I like, so I head out there and see what I can find. I offer scholarships to a QB and RB. I also fly to California and visit a safety I like. We get along, so I offer him a scholarship. We’ll see what happens.

I’d love to whip the Broncos and send them packing. Unfortunately, it is not to be, as we lose 20-30.

Game Ball: - 4 of 5 field goals. Missed a 43 yarder, but made 28, 44, 32, and 57!

Otherwise, it’d go to Cornelius Dyson who racked up 152 yards on the ground, but no scores.

And we are guaranteed another losing season. We are getting better, though.

“At 5-4, Central Michigan is questing for a bowl berth and possibly even a Western Division championship in the MAC. Eastern is just looking for respect. The Eagles fly to Central Michigan, today, on TV5”

Week 12 – Central Michigan

And yet another game on TV. Our season has changed. CMU is favored by 10. I want to shove that 10 down their throats.

I head back out to California to meet wit a few more recruits I noticed when I was out there before. Hopefully, I can bring in some players. I have, um, a fullback.

I bring in a QB from Colorado.

I release DE Jack Kelly. He is failing a couple of classes. He’s a walkon and freshman, and I decide he needs to focus on his studies.

We scrub. A 41-10 loss. A big “Owie.”

Game Ball: DT Marshall Madison – 8 Tacks, 4 Assts, 1.5 Sacks

Week 13 - Toledo

Our final game of the year is against hated rival Toledo. Most teams get a rival of about equal ability. We get Toledo, arguably the best team year in-year out in the MAC West. The Rockets are favored by a TD.

I am waiting for some of my recruits to say yes or no to me.

In the meantime, Toledo takes us out, 28-20.

Two more rejection letters come.

We are leading 13-7 at the end of the third quarter. Again blowing a late lead.

Game Ball: WR Sean Horton, 8 catches for 125 yards.

Burroughs also notched 116 yards and a score, and Dyson grabbed 93 yards on the ground to add to his season total. S Wendall Hale grabbed a pair of picks too.

We finish the season 3-8 and comfortably out of first, second, third, or anything else. Ball State ends up in last place, and us right above.

Week 14 – Bye

I get three more rejections and acceptances by backup prospects for DT and ILB. I now have a mighty four players committed to the EMU program.

Week 15 – Bye

The MAC Championship is between 8-3 Marshall and 7-4 Central Michigan. It’s an easy game for the Thundering Herd as they win 34-7.

I get five recruits this week.

Bowl Games:

Marshall versus Washington Sate in the Motor City Bowl
Central Michigan versus North Carolina in the Tangerine Bowl
Marshall overcomes a 10 point underdog status to crush Washington State 31-10.
CMU barely loses to North Carolina 14-10.

MAC goes 1-1 in bowls this year.

The Fiesta Bowl has undefeated Florida State versus undefeated Michigan. Florida State wins 44-13, despite being six point underdogs.

I vote for a hot receiver from Florida State for the Heisman. He came in tied for 5th, but the man caught 1903 yards and 21 TDs, I think he deserved to win.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:10 AM   #37
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Some stats from the year:

QB Darrin Wall, 212 of 372 for 2541 yards, 19 TDs, 14 Ints, 35 sacks

RB Cornelius Dyson, 225 attempts for 1267 yards, 12 TDs, 50 catches for 229 yards

WR Derrick Burroughs, 57 catches for 823 yards, 10 TDs
WR Sean Horton, 44 catches for 631 yards, 3 TDs

ILB Jamal Garrett, 117 Tacks, 34 Assts, 1 Sack, 15 TFL, 2 Ints, 4 PasDef
OLB Roy Portillo, 65 Tacks, 27 Assts, 10 TFL, 1 Int
DE Leonard Parrish, 48 Tacks, 17 Assts, 8.5 Sacks, 13 TFL
DT Marshall Madison, 52 tacks, 23 Assts, 6.5 Sacks, 12 TFL, 1 FumRec

C Marlon Hutton, 33 KRB out of 70 KRO
G Lamont Harding, 19 KRB out of 46 KRO

Very few turnovers for my defense this year. And, like I said, Jamal Garrett in the rock in the center of my defense – no gelatin center in the middle of this tootsie pop. And how about Hutton with the blocks?

Awards:

WR Derrick Burroughs – All-Freshman Team, Nationally
DE Leonard Parrish – All-Freshamn Team, Nationally
ILB Jamal Garrett – MAC 1st Team

3 players on MAC Academic Team

I give out the Team Offensive MVP to RB Cornelius Dyson. The Defensive MVP goes to Jamal Garrett.

My recruits:

QB Russell Hanrahan, 59+, Fowler, Colorado
RB Toby Francis, 51-, Covington, Georgia
FB Ethan Chaudrey, 71+, West Columbia, South Carolina, 974th Nationally
WR Marlon Munoz, 44+, Florissant, Missouri
C Mike Stene, 39+, Raytown, Missouri
T Clyde Verdin, 54+, Boonsboro, Maryland
DT Reggie Anaya, 48+, Kansas City, Kansas
ILB Justin Rabach, 43+, Park City, Utah
OLB Ross Stoner, 55+, Russell Springs, Kentucky
CB Brenden Dortch, 55+, Wartrace, Tennessee
S Nicky Terrell, 63+, La Mesa, California

My worst class so far. And nobody from the Great Lakes region of the country. Zang!

I finished the season ranked #113, Moved up eight spots!!!

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:10 AM   #38
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Offseason

74 Team performance might mean that our team sucks, get over it.

Our new Syndicate Coordinator looks to be doing a good job with Alumni Donations: 79. TV Revenue is at 71, and out recruiting is a 93. 59 Academic rounds out our grades.

QB Justin Goodwin is suspended for failing a class. Argh!!!

A DE and K leave the team. Three of my scouts retire, including my Head Scout. All of the Great Lakes scouts are pretty poor, and I am having a hard time selecting one. I eventually decide on:

Head Scout (Great Lakes):
Dave Boyer
46 Yrs
Lousy, Good, Very Good, Pretty Good, Fair, Terrible, Pretty Good, Decent

We already have North Texas scheduled to visit us in week 2. We again have the horror stretch of games from Week 5 on. Hopefully that will eventually end.

I offer a game to Boise State at home, they refuse. SMU wants me to travel to them. Isn’t it in Texas somewhere? No thanks. I don’t want to have the Texas non-conference schedule. I try Michigan State in Ypsi for fun, but it doesn’t work. Damn Spartans. Stanford offered me an away game, but not yet, I need butts in the seats. I need a better or geographically closer team. I offer a home game to Notre Dame, I think they laughed at me. Southern Mississippi offered me an away game, but no thanks. I then call up Pitt on the phone, but they say no dice. I then offer Pitt an away game this year, and a home game next. Again, no dice. But Iowa State made me an offer. Hmm. They want to play in Ypsi this year, and in Iowa next year. I switch the order. I’d rather play Iowa here when I have my team ready. This way I guarantee myself a home game next year.

Eagles 2005 Schedule:

Week 1 – at Iowa State
Week 2 – NORTH TEXAS
Week 5 – BUFFALO
Week 6 – at Yale
Week 7 – at Central Michigan
Week 8 – KENT
Week 9 – BALL STATE
Week 10 – NORTHERN ILLINOIS
Week 11 – at Western Michigan
Week 12 – at Bowling Green
Week 13 – at Toledo

That’s a tough end of schedule, with three away games to end the season, and at more difficult teams. Still, we could be 5-3 entering that spate of games.

I hope.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:11 AM   #39
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

NCAA Div 1-A Certification Committee
341 State Street
Indianapolis, IN, 20814
June 11, 2005

Dr. David Diles, Athletic Coordinator:

As per Division 1-A certification rules, teams with Division 1-A status must maintain an average home attendance of at least 15,000 people in order to retain their status. Our annual audit of attendance last year shows that Eastern Michigan University averaged only 13,950 people in its home games.

While we are sensitive to the various needs of member schools, this situation cannot continue. This is an official notice that Eastern Michigan University has been placed on probationary Division 1-A status. Should home attendance this year remain below the 15,000 threshold, we will have no choice but to revoke your status and downgrade you to Division 1-AA.

We would regret any punitive measures, and look forward to increased attendance at football games in Ypsilanti.

Sincerely,

Steve Dyer, NCAA Div 1-A Certification Committee Chair

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:11 AM   #40
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Dr. David Diles: “Have a seat Abe. I finally got that letter from the Certification Committee. This is a problem. I brought you in to keep us from relegation, and here we are facing the grim specter of Division 1-AA.”

Abe Sargent: “Yeah, I know.”

David: “It’s odd. I brought you in here to avert this, and yet I am more pleased with your football performance and recruiting than I am with this.”

Abe: “Maybe we should run some more promotions.”

David: “It didn’t really work last time. Sure, it brings in a few hundred people, but not enough to count. No, you need to win.”

Abe: “Winning will put butts in the seats.”

David: “Even if it doesn’t, they won’t send us packing if we, say, win the west or something.”

Abe: “Alright, then that’s what I need to do.”

David: “One more thing. I think that I’ve been very patient with keeping you around. Eastern has won 5 games in the past three years. I think your recruiting and alumni support is good, and that’s why you are still here. But it’s hard to sell the President on keeping a coach with a 5-29 record. Win this year for us, yes. But, win this you for yourself as well, if you get what I mean.”

Abe: “Looks like we are going to win this year, eh?”

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:11 AM   #41
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I take a gander at my freshman, now that they are in, and I have a new Head Scout:

QB Russell Hanrahan – Needs to be red-shirted, but has possibilities later. Not a bad QB.

RB Toby Francis – Looks like a career backup to me, but does have good third down catching and third down running.
FB Ethan Chaudrey – A good FB. I may look to convert him after a little development. He gets red shirted this year.

WR Marlon Munoz – Another red-shirt player. I don’t know if Munoz will ever start, but he may be my special teams man down the road.

C Mike Stene – Just a career backup, will never be a starting option.
T Clyde Verdin – Low endurance might keep him on the bench, but Clyde might be a solid starter someday. We’ll wear scarlet for now.

DT Reggie Anaya – Looks like another backup. Once he develops, he might be a marginal starter. Maybe. I toss him a shirt.

ILB Justin Rabach – A possible starter in the future. Decent at everything – no weaknesses and no strengths. He may wear crimson this year, I need to set my depth chart first, before I decide.
OLB Ross Stoner – A good potential OLB. He will ride the pine girded with a red shirt, but he may start in a couple of years.

CB Brenden Dortch – Another possible starter long in the future. For now, he’ll probably be adorned in red. Still, I may end up starting him with my lousy corners. We’ll see.
S Nicky Terrell – Good safety with promise. Weaknesses at the position will move him to a starting role immediately.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:12 AM   #42
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

After a bit of infighting, here are our starters for the year:

QB Darrin Wall (2) – Currently by best QB due to Justin’s suspension. Man that’s blows.

RB Cornelius Dyson (1) – My new scout thinks Dyson has a lot more promise than the previous one did. In fact, he believes that Dyson is a downright hoss.

TE Melvin Sanford (1) – Still hasn’t developed too much, yet has great potential.
WR Casey Kovel (1) – Casey is adequate, but developed completely.
WR Wesley Larson (3) – Advanced to a starting role, and knocked Sean Horton out.
WR Derrick Burroughs (2) – Our leading receiver last year.

C Marlon Hutton (1) – He’s a big ole’ center.
G Terry Padilla (1) – He is also a big ole’ guard.
G Lamont Harding (2) – Growing into the starting role quickly.
T Wade Floyd (2) – A good tackle and getting better everyday.
T Bubba Crase (3) – Not that good, and I’ll be looking for a better tackle this year.

P Myron McGee (3) – The man starts this year.
K Edward Balent (3) – An ok kicker, I’ll still be on the lookout for a player with a Herculean leg.

DE Leonard Parrish (2) – Don’t expect my ends to do much this year. Parrish is the best of a bad lot.
DE Darren Lowe – Next best, and that despite actually worsening in the eyes of my Head Scout.
DT Marshall Madison (1) – Almost fully developed. I hope he develops more pressure.

ILB Jamal Garrett (1) – The rock, the core, the man.
ILB Justin Rabach (3) – True freshman is better than anyone else. He can grow into a player eventually.
OLB Roy Portillo (1) – Growing, but not as fast as I would like. Still, he’s a good OLB, and I like him.
OLB Lamont Hardy (3) – Actually my third best OLB by current ability, he has more potential than Ralph Porter, who started last year.

CB Jared Harvey (1) – It all starts with your shutdown corner.
CB Brenden Dortch (3) – After reviewing the CB possibilities, and being disappointed in them, I decide to take Brenden’s shirt and throw him to the wolves.
S Winfred Sinclair (2) – Needs some more development, but a good safety.
S Wndell Hale (2) – Based on his performance last year, I am starting him and red shirting my freshman.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:13 AM   #43
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

“Eastern Michigan may very well be on the cusp of respectability, but they’re also on the verge of relegation to Div 1-AA. They need wins, and they need them now. Iowa State is looking for a little respect themselves. The Eagles fly into Iowa led by star running back Cornelius Dyson. Iowa will be prepared with a tremendous defense led by outstanding linebacker Greg Clemons. Who will survive and who will fall? Find out next, on TV5”

Copyright 2032

P Myron McGee, WR Derrick Burroughs, TE Duane Conway, and T Wade Floyd got 4.00’s last year. They get autographed balls.

This year, I need to win. And get butts in the seat. Probably in that order. The pressure is tightening, and I need space to breathe.

Week 1 – at Iowa State (-7)

I am going to start placing whether the game is away or at home and how much we are favored by at the top instead of writing it. Seems more organized.

Being underdogs by a TD means we may upset Iowa State. Or we may crush them. Who knows? If we can win on national TV, that’d make all the difference.

Would you believe that there are still no recruits that idolize EMU? I would. I need a RB, TE, WR, G x2, T, K, DE x 2 (or 3), ILB x2, OLB (x2), CB = 13 (or 15)

Our prestige actually climbed back up to 61. Interesting. Didn’t think a team would go 3-8 and yet gain prestige.

I drive through Michigan and Ohio trying to find recruits. It is a neverending struggle. I then call up some defensive ends to see if they would be interesting in flyin’ wit’ teh Eagles.

We lose badly, 3-27.

Iowa State was a bit too hard for us.

Note to self: In the future, if a Big XII school wants to schedule us, you say no.

At least we scored first. At least there were no injuries. I can find silver linings for anything.

Game Ball: S Wendell Hale – 7 Tacks, 4 Assts, 1 Int

Week 2 – NORTH TEXAS (+4)

I hit up Pennsylvania this week. On my way back home I drive through Indiana and talk to a couple of fellows. I also go on radio and practically plead with people to show up at the North Texas game.

Must. Beat. Sun. Belt. Conference.

Eastern: 41
North Texas: 14

So, sit down!

Game MVP: DT Marshall Madison, 7 Tacks, 1 Asst, 2 Sacks, 1 FF, 1 FumRec
I also like Sinclair and his pick returned for a TD, or Jamal Garrett and his 2 sacks. However, I choose to give my game ball to:

RB Cornelius Dyson, 21 carries for 111 yards and 3 TDs.

.500 ball baby!

WR Casey Kovel is out for a few weeks with an injured disk. WR Sean Horton will start in his place.

We also had an attendance of 15,400. Heh.

Week 3 – Bye

I go take an Illinois trip this week. There is a fantastic receiver out there, and I offer him a scholarship on the spot. I also find an outstanding defensive tackler as well, and offer him a free ride too. A very fruitful visit I hope.

Week 4 – Bye

Another bye week, another boring time, focusing on bringing in the recruits. I drive over to Wisconsin this week. I offer a scholarship to a nice defensive end. From there I head into Minnesota to review a few more seniors. And that’s my week. Boring and droll. I need a little football in my life.

Week 5 – BUFFALO (-10)

Wow, I am again not favored in my own house to piddling Buffalo.

I drive over to New York. I offer a scholarship to a nice runner from Long Island. A few other players disappoint me though, not the best trip I’ve ever had.

Eastern: 45
Buffalo: 24

Who’s House? Abe’s House. Who’s House? Abe’s House. Who’s House? Abe’s House.

C Marlon Hutton went down and will be out for 6 weeks with a broken Tibia. C Jesse Garrision will star in his stead. WR Casey Kovel will be back next week.

Oh yeah, stats:

Game MVP and Game Ball: QB Darrin Wall, 15 of 33 for 154 yards and 3 TDs, rush TD
Backup DE Fletcher had two sacks
WR Sean Horton caught a couple of TD passes

And, by the way, EMU is above .500 for the very first time in my tenure. Ever.

16,500 were in attendance.

All you have to do is win, eh?

Week 6 – at Yale (+1)

1-3 Yale is in the opposite direction as my team. Let’s go Eagles!

I fly down to Texas and try to relieve them of some players. Come north Texans.

Yale disappoints us. We lose 24-6.

Wall lobs a couple of ducks, and Dyson goes nowhere on the ground. Our defense really didn’t do much to stop them either.

Game Ball: ILB Jamal Garrett, 10 Tacks, 5 Assts

Let’s see if we can’t explode during the MAC schedule….

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:13 AM   #44
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2032

Week 7 – at Central Michigan (-10)

I head out west to lands of desert. We are preparing to host a bunch of interested seniors over the next couple of weeks, and I wanted to round out our plate.

CMU is 1-3, we are 2-2 and yet we are such underdogs. I hope we win, just so I can stick it to whoever chooses the lines.

Of course, we don’t win.

Central: 49
Eastern: 14

Ouch.

Game Ball: ILB Justin Rabach – 4 Tacks, 2 Assts, 1 Int returned for TD

We didn’t turn the ball over, but we couldn’t move the sticks, and that was the root of our problem.

Week 8 – KENT (-4)

In comes Kent State, and I want to win at home again – give something for the fans to come to games over. Of course, I want to win anytime. And this time, we’ll have some recruits watching.

Nine seniors travel to Ypsilanti to take a look at the school. We roll out the red carpet, and I talk about a new team with a new identity. I think they want to see that identity this week. I spend the week talking to them, and very little time recruiting away from the team.

We lose. 47-28. At least we didn’t get blown out too badly.

I brought in a RB and DE. Four other players went elsewhere.

We had an attendance of 15,900.

We have a couple of options with game balls. WR Burroughs and Horton each had 100+ yard games. But, I’m going with:

Game Ball: WR Wesley Larson – 4 catches for 89 yards, 3 TDs

Week 9 – BALL STATE (+2)

The past couple of years have seen us knock off Ball State. Hopefully they will be the cure for what ails us. We have weak Ball State in Ypsilanti – that is a recipe for a win.

A few more recruits come in this week. We treat them real nice. I also take a day and fly to New Jersey and talk to a few recruits. I like a couple of corner I find there and invite them to come look at EMU. I offer one a scholarship on the spot after I see his 4.0 report card on the fridge.

We lose though.

Eastern: 35
Ball State: 47

*Sigh*

We do bring in a WR, C, and T. So all is not grimy.

Attendance was only 13,800

Game Ball: QB Darrin Wall, 19 of 31 for 417 yards, 5 TDs, 2 Ints

Week 10 – NORTHERN ILLINOIS (-12)

Buy are we getting disrespect in our own place. My New Jersey CB came in to look at the campus, but he informed me that several other schools contacted him last week and offered him a scholarship, so it’ll touch and go whether he comes to EMU.

It’s was a pretty busy week recruiting players to fill the spots vacated by those who went elsewhere. Still, we have a nice core of recruits already.

We lose to Northern Illinois though, 31-24. The loss is not enough to dissuade a TE and DE from joining our school, though.

OLB Lamont Hardy is out for the rest of the season with torn knee cartilage.

Attendance – 14,200. We need to get that up.

Game Ball: ILB Jamal Garrett: 15 Tacks, 6 Assts, 2 FF, 1 FumRec

WR Burroughs also recorded another 100+ yard game, but Wall tossed 4 picks.

I’d like to start winning the close ones here folks.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:14 AM   #45
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

“Eastern Keeps Division 1-A Status

Ryan Foster
Eastern Echo

It’s a known fact that Eastern’s Football team is on the verge of plunging into the Division 1-AA Abyss. EMU has to have an average of above 15,000 in its home games this year in order to keep their head afloat. And, over its five home games, Eastern has averaged 15,160. It’s close, sure, but it counts.

Steve Dyer, the Chair of the Certification Committee for the NCAA was contacted regarding the closeness of the Eagles attendance. He said, “15,000 is not a slippery slope – it’s an absolute. Any school must stay above the 15k line. If a school falls below that, it doesn’t matter how far, they get relegated. Eastern was above the line, and they get to remain in the division.”

People will come if Eastern wins – it is a simple formula. The Eagles have to win in order to get people coming to their games. This year was close, sure, but now they can breathe easily.

Eastern was on probation this year because last year’s average was below 15,000. Last year was the first year of the requirement, and the NCAA enacted a rule that stated that teams not in compliance were to be placed on a probationary status pending the following year. Now that the second year is almost over, no more teams get a grace year, and it’s automatic relegation

For now, the Eagles have gotten a reprieve”

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:14 AM   #46
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2032

Week 11 – at Western Michigan (-24)

At 2-6 we are guaranteed of another losing season. WMU is sitting pretty at 4-3. We need to reach up a bit and knock off one of these road games.

Recruiting was boring as I wait some more and call players to coax them to come Ypsilanti-ward.

C Marlon Hutton is back for this week’s game. OLB Ralph Porter will start the remainder of the season.

And we almost win. Argh.

Eastern: 27
Western: 31

Game Ball: ILB Jamal Garrett – 17 Tacks, 6 Assts, 0.5 Sacks

We pulled in a linebacker recruit.

Week 12 – at Bowling Green (-12)

More boring weeks of recruiting. My eyes gloss over scouting reports.

Do I want to beat Bowling Green? Yes. Do I want to humiliate them? Yes. Do I want another win this season? Yes.

What do the players want?

Apparently, they wanted to lose. Bowling Green 40, Eastern 10.

I pull in a DE and ILB.

We were leading 7-6 at halftime. And then the heavens parted and Bowling Green poured forth their wrath upon us.

Wall tossed up an amazing SIX interceptions.

Game Ball: WR Sean Horton, 5 catches for 82 yards, 1 TD. Our only TD.

Week 13 – at Toledo (-19)

We lost at Western Michigan. We lost at Bowling Green. Any chance that Toledo will go down to the mighty Eagles? Especially since Toledo is 5-5 and fighting for a winning season?

I call up my few recruits still outstanding before heading to Toledo.

It’s raining.

So is Toledo. Raining down upon our hopes of winning a game.

Toledo: 42
Eastern: 35

I bring in four more recruits and finish off our class for the year.

Wall tossed another four interceptions. I can’t wait to bench his ass next year.

Both WR Burroughs and Kovel had over 130 yards receiving and a TD. My game ball will go to:

Game Ball: WR Casey Kovel, 6 catches for 139 yards, 1 TD, 63 YAC

2-9. You’d think the law of math would help us win, say, five games sometime.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:15 AM   #47
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

It’s Bowling Green and Marshall in the MAC Championship. But Bowling Green is 5-6 overall, so I’m not sure if they’d go a bowl game or not if they won.

Course Marshall wins. 49-3. Marshall is 12-0 and probably BCS bound.

The MAC gets two bowl bids:

Marshall vs Georgia in the Sugar Bowl
Akron vs Southern California in the Motor City Bowl

Akron loses 28-3
Despite being favored by four, Marshall loses to Georgia, 49-10

MAC goes 0-2 in bowl games.

Florida State vs Michigan in the Fiesta Bowl – Michigan: 31, Florida State: 6

So, they celebrate a national championship five miles down the road.

I vote for the Michigan QB in a sign of solidarity for Heisman. He comes in 6th. The QB for Florida State won the trophy.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:15 AM   #48
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Some stats:

QB Darrin Wall, 190 of 395 for 2732 yards, 20 TDs, 23 Ints, 36 sacks

RB Cornelius Dyson, 160 for 709 yards and 6 TDs, 27 catches for 227 yards and 1 TD

WR Derrick Burroughs, 49 grabs for 830 yards and 4 TDs
WR Wesley Larson, 37 catches for 601 yards and 7 TDs

ILB Jamal Garrett, 134 Tacks, 46 Assts, 3.5 Sacks, 26 TFL, 3 FF, 1 FumRec
CB Jared Harvey, 35 Tacks, 16 Assts, 2 TFL, 5 Ints, 11 PasDef, 3 FF

Most other players had average or poor stats.

Awards:

ILB Jamal Garrett – 1st Team Nationally
ILB Jamal Garrett – Academic Team, Nationally
WR Derrick Burroughs – Academic team, Nationally
ILB Jamal Garrett – Top Defensive Player, MAC
ILB Jamal Garrett – 1st Team, MAC

3 players on MAC Academic team

The newbies:

RB Vernon Godfrey, 73+, Jamaica, New York, 258th Nationally, 3.73
TE Hardy Monroe, 64+, Fort Kent, Maine, 764th Nationally, 4.0
WR Adam Edwards, 79+, Flossmoor, Illinois, 384th Nationally, 2.97
C Kurt Whiting, 63+, Onaway, Michigan, 815th Nationally, 3.07
T Barry Bartrum, 77-, Oak Park, Illinois, 220th Nationally, 3.59
K Sean Peterson, 59++, Chicago, Illinois, 4.0
DE Rich Harper, 65+, Warren, Michigan, 700th Nationally, 3.62
DE Vince Arbuckle, 55+, Blue Springs, Missouri, 3.78
ILB Troy Dixon, 74-, Downers Grove Illinois, 991st Nationally, 3.09
OLB Brenden Goodwin, 69++, Lagrange, Indiana, 676th Nationally, 3.31
OLB Lamont Gatlin, 58+, Camden, New Jersey, 833rd Nationally, 3.04
CB Jake Mazur, 62+, Princeton Junction, New Jersey, 581st Nationally, 4.0

I wasn’t able to get a good guard, but look at my wideout! And the players are much closer to home this time. I am starting to get the closer players in competition, as opposed to the picked through and aside players from elsewhere. 10 nationally ranked players in the Top 1000. Nice. And three players with 4.0 GPAs. Also nice. I’m happy with this part of the year.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:15 AM   #49
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Offseason:

We finished the season ranked #118

We had a 100 recruiting performance, but a 0 Alumni Donations. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a 0 before. 2 TV revenue, 15 Attendance, 47 performance, and 63 academics.

My Head Scout retires. I can’t keep one of these guys to save my life, eh?

A guard leaves the team and a TE loses a girlfriend. San Jose State offers me a job.

Really?

In case you were wondering, no coach who has worked all four of these past four years has more loses than me, except for the coach of Louisiana State. That’s who I should schedule…. Anyways, why would I be getting an offer for a school? IS there even a high school so desperate that they would hire me?

Didn’t think so. Besides, I like EMU.

He is going to retire soon, but before he does, I want to hire:

Head Coach (Great Lakes)
Lamar Schwartz
69 Yrs
Lousy, Excellent, Decent, Good, Lousy, Good, Fair, Terrific

This year they broke up my MAC schedule. I also have Marshall this year. Boo. Iowa State is coming to EMU this year.

I offer Army a game but they refuse. Southern Cal offers me an away game this year, home game next year, but I refuse. I have Louisiana State in my eyes. But they refuse. Stanford offers me an away game, but no doing. I currently have 6 home games. If I have a 7th, and start winning them, then I will increase our record. Gotta play a bad team here.

I offer another game to North Texas. I beat them last year, might as well bring them back. But they refuse. Oregon State makes me an offer, but I decline. I offer a game to Cincinnati, but no dice. Arkansas State wants a game, but again, I decline. I then talk to Temple, but they say no. Alabama wants a game, and they get to hear what my laugh sounds like. I then call up Tulsa, but nothing doing. However, Louisiana Tech rings my phone for an away game. I counter with a home game, but they say no.

It’s stage 8 and I am getting closer to desperate. Louisiana-Monroe rejects my overtures, but Tulsa calls me back and offers an away game. I call back Louisiana-State and offer them a home game this year, away game next year, but no dice. With only ten teams left to schedule, and the last stage, Louisiana-Monroe calls me back and let’s me know that a home game would be fine. We set it up, and I have my schedule:

Eastern Michigan University, 2006

Week 1 – LOUISIANA-MONROE
Week 3 – IOWA STATE
Week 4 – OHIO
Week 6 – YALE
Week 7 – at Central Michigan
Week 8 – at Marshall
Week 9 – BALL STATE
Week 10 – NORTHERN ILLINOIS
Week 11 – WESTERN MICHIGAN
Week 13 – at Bowling Green
Week 14 – at Toledo

There are several winnable games on the schedule, including most of the home games, and for most teams it is a creampuff schedule. We will see what happens in real life, though.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:16 AM   #50
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I take a looksee at the freshmen:

RB Vernon Godfrey – As I had hoped, our future running back star.

TE Hardy Monroe – Not that great, will probably serve as a backup or marginal starter.
WR Adam Edwards – I had such hopes for Adam. He comes to me with a low endurance, though. Needs to develop.

C Kurt Whiting – Could be starter someday, but will ride the pine for a year while Hutton starts.
G Norm Paswater – I brought him in late as a walkon, then gave him a scholarship after I saw him. He has backup or adequate starter written all over him.
T Barry Bartrum – Needs to grow into an offensive line position, but could start later.

K Sean Peterson – Probably will be a backup for the time. Might start a year late or something. Great kicking power but poor accuracy.

DE Rich Harper – Good, solid DE who might start sooner or later.
DE Vince Arbuckle – Another good DE who ya might see starting someday.
DE Curtis Page – Walkon with talent, given a scholarship. Needs development.

ILB Troy Dixon – Definite redshirter with no current stats at all, just green.
OLB Brenden Goodwin – Every so often you come across a diamond in the rough. That’s Branden, who has stats in the 70’s and 80’s for potential, but low 10’s for current.
OLB Lamont Gatlin – Another greenliner. Might see play late but not today.

CB Jake Mazur – Another shutdown corner, weak at stopping the run though.

-Anxiety