Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Why do Journalists Lie?

I was reading Eric Allen's piece on ESPN.com and here is part of what he wrote about Terrell Owens:

Quote:
"There will be a lot of pundits out there who will say that Bill Parcells and T.O. won't be able to coexist and I believe they are wrong. Parcells will love having Owens on his team because Parcells loves players who give their all on the field and love football. That's Owens in a nutshell. Despite all the suspect behavior over the years and silly comments, Owens is a guy who loves to play football and win games."

However, that's a bald faced lie. Owens has said on numerous occasions in numerous interviews that he does not love playing football. He has said that he plays football because he has talent and can make money doing it, not because he loves it.

Why would Eric just out and out lie about Owens' motives when there is an established truth? Why would ESPN publish such an obvious lie?

*Sigh*

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
Bee
Pro Starter

Well...Owens loves money and he gets money for playing football...ergo....he loves playing football.

Last edited by Bee : 03-20-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Eric Allen is not a journalist by trade.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Because it's ESPN and they love circle jerking each other.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Hell, I just looked it up, and Terrell Owens says ON ESPN on 12/12/2004 in an interview that he doesn't even like football.

-Anxiety

Old 03-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
heybrad
Norm!!!

Why let the truth get in the way of a good story.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #7
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Paging a real editor...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Because lying is the coolest!

Old 03-20-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just because a guy makes a fleeting comment, doesn't mean that he means that all the time. Imagine if they attributed every comment you ever made and used that later as an indictment of how you "love" or "hate" something?
Old 03-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #10
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Eric Allen is not a journalist by trade.

If he is a journalist by employment, then he should be subject to the same rules of honesty and research as everyone else. And I hold him to the same standard. Plus, his editor certainly should be.

-Anxiety

Old 03-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
If he is a journalist by employment, then he should be subject to the same rules of honesty and research as everyone else. And I hold him to the same standard. Plus, his editor certainly should be.

-Anxiety

I know but I have a hard time getting worked up over the opinions of Eric Allen, Chris Carter, Shannon Sharpe and the like. The majority of the time the insights of these guys is just awful.

I remember seeing Mike Vrabel on a couple of these shows. Guy made no sense at all.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:55 PM   #12
chinaski
College Prospect

Eric Allen is the Armstrong Williams of the sports world? Drew Rosenhaus is so ethical though, theres no way he would pay someone to say good things about T.O

Last edited by chinaski : 03-20-2006 at 12:56 PM. Reason: needed mr.rollseyes
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:00 PM   #13
Franklinnoble
Banned

ESPN.com is not exactly an example of real journalism.

95% of their "writers" are either pathetic fanboys or idiot ex-jocks.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #14
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That sounds more like a cliche/opinion than a 100% hard fact. That's just an uninformed guy giving a bad justification for taking a certain position on the topic du jour.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #15
Aardvark
Mascot

Quote:
I was reading Eric Allen's piece on ESPN.com and here is part of what he wrote about Terrell Owens:

However, that's a bald faced lie. Owens has said on numerous occasions in numerous interviews that he does not love playing football. He has said that he plays football because he has talent and can make money doing it, not because he loves it.

Why would Eric just out and out lie about Owens' motives when there is an established truth? Why would ESPN publish such an obvious lie?

*Sigh*

-Anxiety

Because there is a very seductive meme which says that a good athlete whom one likes (due to performance, winning personality, perceived work ethic etc.) must be doing it for love of the game, and a good athlete whom one does not like (due to surliness towards the media, contract disputes, lingering injuries etc.) must love money more than the game. This meme is sufficiently strong to overwhelm, at times, even the athletes own words, and is certainly strong enough for a columnist or commentator who hasn't done his research to automatically make assumptions.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #16
clintl
College Starter

I would go with Eric Allen not knowing about Owens' comment. The part about Owens playing hard when he is on the field is, I think, pretty accurate. Even with his bad attitude, I can't remember him ever loafing as a 49er, and he never loafed whenever I saw Eagles games, either. I suspect that Parcells cares a lot more about whether Owens plays hard than whether he loves the game, so I think the essence of the point Allen is making is fairly accurate, even if it's not true in its entirety.

But I think Allen is wrong, and Parcells is going to tire of Owens' off-field crap very, very quickly. Plus, if Donovan McNabb wasn't a good enough QB for Owens, what are the chances Drew Bledsoe will be?
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #17
AlexB
Pro Starter

Why do cats go 'meow'? Why do dogs go 'woof'? Why does Jenna Jameson go 'Oh yeah baby'?

Last edited by AlexB : 03-20-2006 at 03:18 PM.
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #18
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Writing a column on a web site does not make you a journalist.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #19
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs

From dictionary.com:

Quote:
journalist

n 1: a writer for newspapers and magazines 2: someone who keeps a diary or journal

Since Allen also writes for ESPN the Magazine, that makes him a journalist and Insider, and I have to pay to read some of his stuff, then he is a journalist.

-Anxiety

Old 03-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #20
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Better question:

Why do birds suddenly appear
Everytime, you are near?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #21
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I'd say this is picking at nits.

Then again I do believe TO is the best receiver in the game. Perhaps this guy is trying to say that Parcells could get along with him cause he really performs on the field, and for that reason Parcells will be more willing to tolerate the other nonsense that he will bring to the table. Perhaps Parcells is able to compartmentalize the on and off field TO personas.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #22
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
From dictionary.com:

Quote:
journalist

n 1: a writer for newspapers and magazines 2: someone who keeps a diary or journal

Since Allen also writes for ESPN the Magazine, that makes him a journalist and Insider, and I have to pay to read some of his stuff, then he is a journalist.
First, your definition doesn't say anything about having to pay. You have to pay for Penthouse Forum -- that doesn't make any writer in there a journalist.

Second, your definition include people who keep a diary. If you want to change your title to "Why do people lie in their journals or diaries?" then I'll let it slide.
Quote:
Precisely. Anxiety, there are many different kinds of "journalism" writing. Eric Allen is not a "reporter" -- he is at best a columnist, at worst a commentator. There is a difference in how you approach those types of writing, but I don't expect you to understand it. If it makes you feel better believing everyone with a blog, a journal or an FOFC dynasty is a journalist, more power to you.
Quote:
Why do Journalists Lie?
Why do people make gross exaggerations? First, you're not asking why journalists lie, you're asking why doe Eric Allen lie. If I posted a story about a guy who happened to be a FOFC user molesting a squirrel, why would I ask the question, "Why do FOFC users molest squirrels?"
Quote:

First, how do you know it's a lie? I don't doubt that you have seen Terrell Owens talk about how he doesn't like playing football. I haven't seen that, so how do you know Allen isn't simply "mistaken" rather than lying? How would you like it if the next time you make a mistake on FOFC I started a thread saying "Why does Anxiety lie?"

But let's take a closer look at what Allen actually said, shall we?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Allen
"There will be a lot of pundits out there who will say that Bill Parcells and T.O. won't be able to coexist and I believe they are wrong. Parcells will love having Owens on his team because Parcells loves players who give their all on the field and love football. That's Owens in a nutshell. Despite all the suspect behavior over the years and silly comments, Owens is a guy who loves to play football and win games."
I highlighted the key part. Allen appears to be saying that despite Owens behavior and comments to the contrary, he loves to play football and win games. It looks like Allen is acknowledging that Owens has made silly comments in the past, but he does not believe they are true.

Here's what brings the whole thing together. Columnists/commentators like Eric Allen are used and are popular because they bring a different perspective to the story. Eric Allen likely knows Terrell Owens -- he's had conversations with him. He's a former player. Allen has a different interaction and dynamic with Owens that a typical reporter. What Allen appears to be saying is that based on what he knows about Owens, he thinks the comments about him not caring about playing is crap and that Owens is really a competitor.

You've never talked to Terrell Owens, so how do you have special insight into his mind that Eric Allen can't have, despite knowing the guy?

I'm sorry you're the victim of my rant, Anxiety. I wouldn't have flipped out as much if I wasn't tired of journalism frequently getting the backhand around here. I'm not saying there isn't bad journalism out there, but broad generalizations that bad mouth the entire profession when all you're doing is talking about Eric freakin' Allen ticks me off as a trained journalist.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 03-20-2006 at 05:25 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #23
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
In that case, I would concede that your definition of "journalist" is sufficiently broad to support your premise.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #24
Easy Mac

Anxiety wrote this thread on the internet. I have to pay to use the internet. Anxiety is a journalist because he writes stuff that I have to pay to read.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #25
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
First, your definition doesn't say anything about having to pay. You have to pay for Penthouse Forum -- that doesn't make any writer in there a journalist.

Second, your definition include people who keep a diary. If you want to change your title to "Why do people lie in their journals or diaries?" then I'll let it slide.
Precisely. Anxiety, there are many different kinds of "journalism" writing. Eric Allen is not a "reporter" -- he is at best a columnist, at worst a commentator. There is a difference in how you approach those types of writing, but I don't expect you to understand it. If it makes you feel better believing everyone with a blog, a journal or an FOFC dynasty is a journalist, more power to you.
Why do people make gross exaggerations? First, you're not asking why journalists lie, you're asking why doe Eric Allen lie. If I posted a story about a guy who happened to be a FOFC user molesting a squirrel, why would I ask the question, "Why do FOFC users molest squirrels?"
First, how do you know it's a lie? I don't doubt that you have seen Terrell Owens talk about how he doesn't like playing football. I haven't seen that, so how do you know Allen isn't simply "mistaken" rather than lying? How would you like it if the next time you make a mistake on FOFC I started a thread saying "Why does Anxiety lie?"

But let's take a closer look at what Allen actually said, shall we?
I highlighted the key part. Allen appears to be saying that despite Owens behavior and comments to the contrary, he loves to play football and win games. It looks like Allen is acknowledging that Owens has made silly comments in the past, but he does not believe they are true.

Here's what brings the whole thing together. Columnists/commentators like Eric Allen are used and are popular because they bring a different perspective to the story. Eric Allen likely knows Terrell Owens -- he's had conversations with him. He's a former player. Allen has a different interaction and dynamic with Owens that a typical reporter. What Allen appears to be saying is that based on what he knows about Owens, he thinks the comments about him not caring about playing is crap and that Owens is really a competitor.

You've never talked to Terrell Owens, so how do you have special insight into his mind that Eric Allen can't have, despite knowing the guy?

I'm sorry you're the victim of my rant, Anxiety. I wouldn't have flipped out as much if I wasn't tired of journalism frequently getting the backhand around here. I'm not saying there isn't bad journalism out there, but broad generalizations that bad mouth the entire profession when all you're doing is talking about Eric freakin' Allen ticks me off as a trained journalist.

Remember, Eric Allen writes for ESPN the Magazine. That makes him a journalist. And its not MY definition, i's Dictionary.com's definition.

I am a journalist. I've worked in newsrooms, I get paid to write for the largest magazine in my hobby (Scrye), one of the newest magazines in my hobby (Becketts) and I get paid to write for one of the largest websites in my hobby. There were two people at fault on this particular piece. Eric Allen, who as a paid journalist, should do better no matter his background, and his editor. Editors who allow stuff like this to slip by are just at fault, if not more so. If I submitted a piece that I hadn't researched and was wrong, my editor would reject it in seconds.

Journalists do lie, there no way to refute that. My use of the plural is to point out at least TWO people who erred here, not just Eric Allen. I could obviously site chapter and verse of lies done for politics, companies, and more. My question is why allow a major one like this on your website, which is supposely refutable?

-Anxiety

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-20-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:39 PM   #26
TroyF
Coordinator

Others have said it already, but the simple fact is that he's a columnist. An editorial writer.

He's not reporting on hard news, he's giving his opinion of it. There are editorials in newspapers everyday that don't tell 100% of the truth. The bar is set lower and most things are fair game. I could say in an op-ed that I think the local politician is a hack whose goal is to raise my taxes. If the politician had actually voted down taxes five times? It doesn't matter. I'm stating an opinion and I don't need a ton of facts to back me up.

There isn't one definition of a journalist in this day and age anyway. You have investigative journalists, beat reporters, columnists and even reporters who have a role to incite anger. You can't really paint all of them with the same brush as they are responsible and tasked to do different things.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:51 PM   #27
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #28
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays.

I don't know why, but it cracks me up seeing this line in just about every thread on here today.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #29
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
There are editorials in newspapers everyday that don't tell 100% of the truth.

There are front page articles that don't tell 100% of the truth.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:22 PM   #30
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
There are front page articles that don't tell 100% of the truth.
In fairness, telling 100% of the truth would result in a very, very long article. I don't think many people would read it.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:39 PM   #31
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
In fairness, telling 100% of the truth would result in a very, very long article. I don't think many people would read it.

Very, very long? Not neccessary. Not many people would read it? That I must agree with.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote