Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-15-2003, 01:00 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Hugh Douglas to the Jaguars

Hugh Douglas just signed with the Jags. 27 mill for five years, which, to me, seems a reasonable amount for a player of Hugh's ability. That was not on anybody's radar. Thoughts?

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-15-2003 at 01:01 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 01:12 PM   #2
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Jags, Panthers, Bears, Falcons, Chargers, Broncos - so far these are the teams with the big FA signings (off the top of my head, anyway).

not the teams you'd normally expect to hear from.
Old 03-15-2003, 01:38 PM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

Crap, I know that he visited with the Cowboys and I was hoping that they would snag him...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 02:05 PM   #4
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Don't forget the 12 million or so spent by the Bengals this free agency period!
Old 03-15-2003, 02:31 PM   #5
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
Jags, Panthers, Bears, Falcons, Chargers, Broncos - so far these are the teams with the big FA signings (off the top of my head, anyway).

Vikings and Redskins. Vikings with Denard Walker and several others, Skin's with half of the Jets Team.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 02:34 PM   #6
andy m
High School Varsity

five years! waste of cash. he'll be average within 2. defensive ends simply do not stay productive for that long unless they are hall of famers.

i am glad the eagles didn't stretch to that.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:53 PM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger

What big signings have the Bears made?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 04:40 PM   #8
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Crap, I know that he visited with the Cowboys and I was hoping that they would snag him...

That's a rumor, it never happened. The Cowboys haven't pursued any high priced free agents this year including the second tier quarterbacks like Jake Plummer and Kordell Stewart. Curtis Martin is the only high priced vet I can think of that Parcells went after in his coaching career. I may be forgetting someone. It seems like he builds with the draft, and low priced gritty free agents especially if the played with him before.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 04:56 PM   #9
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

The Bears signed Kordell Stewart. To a two year contract. They also plan to resign Brian Urlacher to a larger contract.

The Eagles defense still is pretty strong, but that defensive line just is not as scary with out Hugh Douglas. It will be interesting to see what the Eagles do in the draft.

The Patriots have made a few good moves I think by signing Roosevelt Colvin and signing Rodney Harrison from San Diego.

I would have to say that the signing of the year would have to be the Falcons signing Peerless Price to give Mike Vick a real weapon.

But, I am sad to see Bob Christian a fullback from the Atlanta Falcons retire because of concussions.
Superman=#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 06:32 PM   #10
astralhaze
College Prospect

Hugh Douglas is a great player, but I hate this signing. Why on earth would a rebuilding team like the Jaguars sign a player who is just about to enter the downslope of his career to such a long term big money contract? It makes no sense. By the time the Jags are good again, Hugh will be a shadow of his former self.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:00 PM   #11
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

In terms of years and money, I dont see it as a bad contract. But when ya factor in that Jax did the signing and is most likely a few years from serious contention then I dont agree with it. I like Douglas but cant imagine he will be the player to put them into the playoffs.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 10:34 PM   #12
sony
High School JV

The only guy that I can think of off the top of my head that Bill Parcell pursued was his former player, FB Richie Anderson from the Jets. Other than that, I am clueless.
sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 12:08 AM   #13
Tasan
College Starter

Parcells went after OT Ryan Young, also a former player of his if I remember correctly.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:03 AM   #14
AgPete
College Prospect

Terry Glenn too. The Cowboys were also strongly rumored to be interested in OG Randy Thomas but Washington outspent everyone from the start on that guy. I heard Vinny Testaverde rumors too but those had as much backing behind them as the Hugh Douglas rumors. Where's Dave Meggett? I'm expecting him to come out of retirement anyday now for Parcells.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 10:31 AM   #15
Dutch
"Dutch"

I have to agree with the Hugh Douglas is not worth it crowd. The man was being let go by Philadelphia for a reason. If he was worth that kind of money, he would have stayed.

He has had a great career and might punch out another one or two, but sometimes you see guys like this have a great season at the end because nobody else is stepping up to the plate. If he is sitting on the bench during 1st and 2nd downs and only rushing on 3rd down, then I would believe he would be a great addition, but for that kind of money, it's kind of pushing it.

I kind of like the Jaguars and wish them well, but this reminds me of Hardy Nickerson. A lot of money for small return.

But you never know, he might fully recover from his injuries and kick some butt for 3 or 4 more years, but I doubt it.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote