Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2003, 03:22 AM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Jacksonville Jaguars - 1st FOF4 Dynasty

See the Eastern Michigan Univeristy dynasty thread about what is changing here.

A link will be added shortly.

Welcome to the First FOF4 Dynasty! Some disputed my claim to be the First when I originally posted a few weeks before FOF4 came out, but as I was also the first to post after FOF4 came out, I think the claim is less controversial.

Anyways, here is a dynasty that is just not as exciting as I'd hoped. The Jaguars have done too well too early.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 03:23 AM   #2
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Now that the FOF4 Demo has been released, I can finally decide some things about my FOF4 aspect of the dynasty.

I have never played the same NFL team twice in my football playing existance. Usually I try to take a bad team and develop them into a Super Bowl power. The teams I have played in the past have been the: Lions, Chargers, Cardinals, Browns, Jaguars, Panthers, Texans, Chiefs, and Saints. What bottom feeding teams are left?

Cincinnati is left, but I'd rather pluck out my eyes with a shrimp fork than play the Bengals. The Vikings and Seahawks are both in the piss-poor bracket in terms of their current recrd - but both are only a stone's throw away from being a playoff team. They are hardly rebuilding projects.

Dallas is really sucky. In a race between the Bengals and Cowboys, I'd probably choose the Bengals, though.

The Jets re looking pretty crappy recently, and they lucked themselves into the playoffs last year. Plus they have a former Mountaineer at TE in Becht and another at CB in Beasley - I like that. I think the Jets are a good team, though. Let's toss them in the back of my mind.

Titans? Redskins? Bears? All potential good teams in a ficitious universe.

Who is left?

Nobody, that's who.

Which leaves me with three choices:

1). I can play the Bengals, as the best case for improvement. *Shudders at the thought*

2). I can play the Jets, which might not be all that hard.

3). I can play another team I have already played, and as such, I can play my favorite team - Jacksonville.

Upon reflection, I decide to take the Jaguars. Here is a team on the backside of a roster turnover. And, despite what the early indications are, this team is not ready for primetime. Coughlin only kept four draft picks from a year ago on the roster - that's bad stuff.

So, enter Jacksonville. I will be playing the Jags with the following:

1). Game with alternate player file including real names of players (if it is available when I get FOF4, hints from primelord make me think one has or is being made)

2). Full X-Factor used, just for the fun of it.

3). Personality profiles, and firing of me allowed.

4). Wall Street difficulty

Let the games begin!

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:24 AM   #3
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

JACKSONVILLE PRESS RELEASE

Owner Wayne Weaver today announces his new General Manager at a press conference in the Jaguars Press Room, at Noon. After several years close to financial suicide, the Jaguars have emerged luckily from the hands of financial ruin into a more healthy and cap-friendly roster.

In order to avoid this issue from happening again, Wayne Weaver, in consultation with Head Coach Tom Coughlin, has elected to bring in a true General Manager with all of the classic powers of the position.

He will reveal his selection – meet the very first General Manager of the Jaguars! He will also be available for questions directly afterwards.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:24 AM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Press Conference, Jacksonville

Wayne Weaver: “Sorry to have started a bit late here folks. Our team was prepping the new GM. Anyways, as you know, the Jaguars were in a real bind recently as far as the cap goes. I’m getting too old to have to wait several years while my team repairs itself. We were given a free pass by Houston, but that’s a once in a lifetime sort of occurance. I realize that we were lucky, and I’ve taken the next step – the creation of a General Manager position here for the Jaguars. It will have all of the authority of a typical GM position, including drafting, salary cap accountability, hiring and firing of staff, and so forth. It was fun for me, Coughlin, and Wayne to run the team for a while, but we obviously mucked up the business side, so in comes a professional. I’ll introduce the new GM in a second, but are there any questions yet?”

Hal Galston, Jacksonville Star: “Have you discussed the move with Tom Coughlin?”

Wayne: “Of course I have. He understands the need for a GM, and is on board with the idea. He helped sift through the candidates, and interviewed the new GM. He even recommended him to me.”

Barry Livingston, ESPN: “How will this change affect the financial status of the club?”

Wayne: “Well, as you know, we are under the cap, and actually have a tiny bit of maneuvering room. After that, I expect the GM to keep the franchise solvent. We have a couple of issues here, and attendance is a big one. We will keep the program going with the stadium renovations. As you know, we interviewed residents around the area and have made changes to the stadium as a result – including a cupholder in every seat and chilled water in the fountains. Our new GM will be expected to continue these initiatives and increase attendance.”

Barry: “Why do you think attendance at Alltel Stadium has been so low? Is it because Jacksonville is the second smallest market for an NFL team?”

Wayne: “Well, the University of Florida regularly gets 60,000 rabid fans, so no, its not the area. People will come, we just have to put a product on the field they can be proud of. We didn’t have problems selling out games until the past two years when the team disappointed. We can continue to sell out Alltel.”

Wayne: “I’m being told that it’s time to reveal out new GM. Folks, we were considering a load of candidates. Some had scouting backgrounds. Some were lawyers. Some were certified accountants. Some had previous GM Experience. Some were players. And one was none of these. One candidate interviewed with us with no previous football experience, and no credentials other than a Masters in Public Administration from West Virginia University. For the past year, he has been a housing administration official at Eastern Michigan University. Join me is welcoming the very first General Manager of the Jaguars – Bram Sargent!”

Bram: “Thanks Wayne. I know that most of the reporters out there are silently mouthing, “Who?” and “Get me a dossier on Bram now!” To assist you, we have packets of material over here that are being passed around now. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Abraham Sargent. I went by Abe when I was younger, but an ex-girlfriend of mine called me Bram back in college, and I picked it up. So, please cal me Bram. I grew up in rural West Virginia, got both my Bachelors and Masters from WVU before heading north to Eastern to work for a year. During my time there, I supervised seven different funds accounting for over 3.5 million dollars, 1100 residents, and a staff of about 80. Here, I have a bigger budget and about the same number of staff. Plus the players, and the fans. And I only have one boss – at EMU I had multitudes of bosses.

Anyways, I heard about the job position being open through a friend in the athletic department of EMU. I applied thinking, why not? You never know what will happen, and being a GM has been a dream of mine. I never thought it would happen, but I decided to try. So I just sent in my resume and a cover letter and forgot about it. Until I received a call from Wayne. He had reviewed my cover letter and was impressed with my forthrightness. So he brought me in for an interview and a battery of tests – intelligence and personality. And he offered me the job. I took it in a heartflash, and now we’re all here.”

Mike Hampton, Orlando Sentinel: “Wayne, can you tell us a little bit about hiring a brand new unknown for the highest position in football?”

Wayne: “Sure thing Mike. We set out to find a candidate that matched a certain profile. We were looking for a very specific personality type – an ENTP on the Myers-Briggs scale. That person needed to be Extroverted, Intuitive, Thinking, and Perceiving. Bram is that exact type, only a few candidates were, actually. And Bram scored on the extremes in the Intuitive, Thinking, and Perceiving scales – exactly what we were looking for. Then we had intelligence tests, and Bram did the best at those. Later there were memory tests, math tests, and a battery of questions designed to test his quick think and ability to recall highly precise bits of information – he was the only candidate to pass every test. Plus, he had impeccable recommendations.”

George Abernathy, CNN/SI: “Bram, you have been inexplicably selected for a dream job. What’s you first step?”

Bram: “To get a long rest, then take a look at our finances before turning to the roster. We have a long way to go before we hit the regular season. I just wanted to add that Coach Andy Reid was hired the exact way I was. A profile of a winning coach was created and then a search was performed to see who fit the profile. Andy Reid was the result of that selection, and I’d say he turned out pretty well. It’s about the ability to do a job, not the experience. While experience factors into the ability, it is not the sole determinant.”

Heather Barnes, Jacksonville Daily News: “But doesn’t experience help?”

Bram: “I just said that. I believe my exact words were ‘While experience factors into the ability, it is not the sole determinant.’”

Wayne: “Any other questions? No? I can tell by your startled faces that you haven’t processed everything yet. Don’t worry, you can ask your questions at a later press conference. Have a good day.”

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:24 AM   #5
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Bram Sargent’s Tape Diary, Spoken into a Microrecorder:

My first take is to gaze at the finances of the team. That Jags are worth a good 317 million. We are 14 million under the cap in terms of actual salary, but much of that is dead money. In fact, we are only 1.4 mill under the cap in terms of spendable money.

Alltel Stadium seats 75,000, but we’ve had problems fitting that many butts in the seats – we’ll need to work on that.

I intend to eventually expand the stadium. There are currently 75 luxury boxes, but I think that’s too small. You get your revenue from the boxes, so I’d like to expand that when I get a chance.

Well, anyway, time to view the roster.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:25 AM   #6
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The Roster:

The strength of the Jaguars is, obviously, Mark Brunell, Jimmy Smith, and Fred Taylor. You have to start there. Brunell is one of the most accurate quarterbacks to play the game, and I just hope that the loss of Keenan doesn’t hit him too hard. I also hope that the loss of Keenan doesn’t hit Jimmy too hard. Jimmy is a class act, and is one of the top receivers today. I actually think a Jimmy Smith for the Hall of Fame campaign would not be too out of place. Fred Taylor is our enigma. Can he remain healthy? If he does, then we have a powerful backfield force. If not, then we will have to rely on good ol’ Stacey Mack. Stacey’s not the worst back ever, but I expect more from my starter.

S Donovan Darius is probably the stud of our team, although DE Tony Brackens and MLB Wali Rainer are no slouches either. The team is young, with a pair of young and developing DTs in the middle of the defensive line.

Our kicking game is weak. The punter is abysmal, and out kicker is not much better. I think they both will be released or cut sooner or later. Who wants Hayden Epstein to lose a game for them?

On the offensive line, TE Kyle Brady is a strong player. We will have to rely on new players T Maurice Williams and Mike Pearson. Undrafted Rookie G Chrys Bullock looks like a real steal. Free agent acquisition G Chris Naeole looks to be the best on the line. Except for maybe C Kevin Long.

We have a great D-Line, but our LB corps is just not up to par. S Darius and CB Bryant will have to shore up our secondary because everybody else looks poor.

It’s an interesting roster.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:25 AM   #7
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

My first priority is to find a better punter and kicker. Before I can do that, however, I need to trim some dead wood.

P Chris Hanson and K Heyden Epstein are given walking papers. They were really bad.

RB Reggie White, QB Roderick Robinson, WR Kendell Newson, G Aaron Koch, RDE Paul Spicer and LCB Jermaine Chatman all lost out in the numbers game.

There’s a great undrafted rookie kicker out of Southern University - Rickey Mayes. The ink to a 1 year contract for 230k is barely dry before I see that P Lee Johnson – old man out of BYU is available – and looks pretty good too.

Because I sign P Johnson to a one year contract, his salary hit is for less. We have about 930k left under the cap for insurance.

I have to sign another Fullback. I sign Les Hinton, an undrafted rookie FB out of Army for 230k.

We hit the exhibition game vs. Atlanta. I want to see how we do before we begin discussing changes.

We beat the Falcons 16-13 in OT. Now I have a look at my players. Maybe it's time to make some more changes.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:25 AM   #8
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

My staff, by the way:

Coach Tom Coughlin:
Very Good: D-Line
Good: RB, O-Line, LB, Young Talent, Motivation, Defensive Play Calling
Average: K, Discipline
Fair: QB, WR, Secondary, Offensive Play Calling
Poor: Injury Avoidance

Scout Kenyon Clinton:
Very Good: QB, O-Line
Good: WR, K, D-Line, Secondary
Average: RB
Fair: LB, Young Talent

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:26 AM   #9
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

“Ask Vic
Jaguars.com

“Who is this new guy at General Manager and why did the Jaguars decide that they needed one?” Bill Manheim, Indianapolis, IN

Vic – Bill, there are several ways of answering your questions. Firstly, before he was announced as the new GM, nobody here knew who Bram Sargent was. We have found out that he is an administrator. Since the modern GM has turned into a heavy administration position, maybe we should not be so surprised with the Jaguars choice. As for the need, haven’t you seen the shape the Jaguars cap has been in the past few years? They needed somebody to finish overseeing the cap repair and to insure that this does not happen again.

“I don’t understand why the Jaguars let Keenan go. He was such a valuable contributor to our success, How can we compete without him?” Sarah O’Brien, Orlando, FL.

Vic – Sarah, I understand your grief, and Keenan was a very popular player with both the fans and management. This was a financial decision brought about by hard times, plain and simple.

“You are always defending the Jaguars. Must be a nice job to be a corporate shill.” Anonymous

Vic - Alright, I am going to say this one time, so listen up. I’ve worked I journalism for decades and I have established a strong degree of respect and integrity. In no way am I a “shill” for the Jaguars, and I have criticized them in the very column. I take accusations to the contrary very seriously. Besides, I’m not the one who hides behind an anonymous façade.

“Why did the Jags hire such a young guy to be the new GM?” Deborah Small, Washington, PA

Vic – That is the question of the hour. Wayne Weaver claimed that Abe Sargent was the only GM Candidate to pass every test in a battery of intelligence and personality tests. Maybe so, but he has no football experience. Hiring an experienced, young GM who met a profile would be one thing. The Andy Reid analogy was a decent one – he was hired young based on his meeting a profile. But at least he had football experience. It’s be like hiring your Head Coach for an NFL team after a successful year at the High School level. Abe Sargent, no matter how ho performs on tests, is essentially a guy off the streets. My real fear, however, is if he succeeds. Then every yokel will think they can be a good GM as well.

Vic – Thanks for your questions this week.”

Old 02-05-2003, 03:26 AM   #10
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Here are our Team Leaders:

RB Stacey Mack – Backup who really stepped in last year. I can understand this.

WR Kyle Brady – An obvious choice. Jimmy Smith is too quiet to be the team's leader. Wheren you need fired up, you know what veteran will be there for you.

RG Zach Wiegart – Has been in the system for a while, but his skills are not really that good.

MLB Wali Rainer – Just acquired via trade, how did he become our leader so quickly?

SS Donovan Darius - Past first round draft pick and major hitter. Lights up players and does so with lots of noise. A definite leader, and I would have expected no other.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:26 AM   #11
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Anyways, here is our roster for opening day:

QB Mark Brunell – What can you say about your franchise QB? What can you say about a guy who’s been to pro bowls? He’s our man, true and true.

RB Fred Taylor – The second of the triplet. Freddie is one of the best backs in the NFL. When healthy. I expect him to remain so this year.
FB Patrick Washington – When we use a FB, it’ll probably be Patrick. He’s weak though, so look for a new FB sooner or later.

TE Kyle Brady – Kyle is a strong, solid tight end, with no weaknesses, but no amazing strengths either.
SE Jimmy Smith – The man with the plan. Third member of the triumvirate. This guy is, well, he’s Jimmy Smith. Great hands, fast, good route running, courageous – tremendous receiver. We'll actually be starting him at the FL position, though.
SE Bobby Shaw – Decent big play ability, but could use some work elsewhere.

RT Mike Pearson – The rookie will be playing straight out of the gate at the LT position.
LG Raleigh Roundtree – He’s not bad, and he has starting experience from his previous gig.
C Kevin Long – Young center with powerful pass blocking skills.
RG Chris Naeole – Well rounded blocker.
RT – Maurice Williams – The sophomore gets the nod here. Needs to develop, but has good pass rush blocking skills.

LDE Marco Coleman – The old man and recent free agent acquisition. Really good play diagnosis and decent pass rush ability.
RDE Tony Brackens – Rated the best player on the team by our scout.
LDT Marcus Stroud – Strong defensive tackle, with brilliant pass rushing skills.
RDT John Henderson – John Henderson is a franchise player. Great pass rush and play diagnosis skills, and also a powerfully strong tackler.

SLB Danny Clark – Man has no ability to play man-to-man defense. Decent at pass rushing and stopping the run though.
MLB Wali Rainer – How the Browns let this man go, I have no idea. Our best LB. Could be with use for a while.
WLB T.J. Slaughter – Very poor WLB option and needs to be replaced soon. Decent at bump and run.

LCB Fernando Bryant – Average to poor but he is my best coverage corner. Strong hitter.
RCB Jason Craft – Pretty lousy corner, needs to be replaced.
SS Donovon Darius – Man can stop a truck and is great anywhere on the field.
FS Ainsley Battles – Good at stopping the run and bump and run coverage.

K Cary Blanchard – Excellent rookie and could be around for awhile. Needs to develop accuracy though.

P Lee Johnson – Great power and hangtime, and good accuracy to boot. So to speak.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:27 AM   #12
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

After our victory against Atlanta, we finish the preseason 3-1 and ready for a fight.

Our team is relatively healthy and we look to begin the seaason with both energy and momentum.

We currently have 60 players under contract, so many have to go:

SS Steve Smith
RCB Damen Wheeler
LDE Javor Mills
LT Daryl Terrell
RDT Jovon Bush
WLB Edward Thomas
SE Micah Ross

They turn in ther playbooks and make the walk of shame. The writing was on the wall - none of these players saw any significant playing time during the preseason - and none were penciled in on the opening gameday depth charts. Not even on special team.

The Colts are coming to town and we are favored by two this week. We dominate the defensive line, running backs and secondary, but the Colts have better quarterback, offensive line, linebackers, and receivers.

We enter the game with a bit of something to prove in our step. We leave the field at halftime to go to the locker room up 12-3.

We won 21-18. Peyton Manning was the MVP.

It was an ugly win, though.

Consider this, Kicker Mayes was 3 of 4 on FGs. Good. But 0-2 on PATs. Nasty.

Game Ball: DE Tony Brackens, 6 Tacks, 1 Assit, 3 Sacks

Also, Mark Brunell had a 361 yard game hit 9 receivers, and was only sacked once.

It was a great start to the year.

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

Well, the next week is here. We have traveled to Kansas City to take on the Chiefs. We are still all healthy.

Our lines dominated the game last week like they should have. We notched four sacks while Brunell went down only once. I want to see the same pressure on Green this week.

Kansas City won last week to the Browns. So they’ll come into this game with confidence. We are favored by two. We supposedly dominate the D-Line and at the QB position. Yet KC is favored at the RB, WR, Special Teams and and even in coaching. Not even.

The score looked to be 10-10 at the half, but an interception of Trent Green's pass with 2 second left in the half is returned by Ainsley Battles for a TD. So it ends up being 17-10 halftime.

They never score again. We win 27-10. Game MVP is Trent Green.

This game was interesting. The Chiefs scored 10 in the first quater and then never scored again. The Jags, however, had one TD rushing and two field goals. And then two interceptions returned for TDs. Our defense shut down KC. Our offense managed a measly 13 points.

Taylor came close to a 100 yard day with 96 yards rushing. His run up the middle was our only offensive score on the day. Brunell tossed 2 picks and was sacked once.

So, my Game Ball:

CB Jason Craft, 4 Tackles, 2 Ints, 111 Int Yards, 1 Int TD

K Mayes was 2 for 2 on FGs and 3 for 3 PAT. At least he improved.

This week is our bye week. According to the power ratings, the Jags are second in the AFC. We’ll see if that lasts after we’re idle next week.

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

The bye week was boring, but at least it gave a chance to heal to a few of my players. I have a couple of bangs and nicks, but nothing serious, and to no critical players regardless.

The Jets are 1-2, and they look hurt. We have a better QB and D-Line, but everything else goes to the Jets. However, we are favored by 8. Let’s get down the business, shall we?

Jacksonville: 27
Jets: 3

Game MVP: Mark Brunell, 24 of 37 for 252 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int, 0 Sacks

Game Ball: WR Bobby Shaw, 6 catches for 101 yards and a TD.

Taylor had another 96 yard rushing day. We picked off the Jets 4 times and Marco Coleman had 2 sacks.

3-0. Is the league ready for us?

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

Well, we head into another week of fun and happiness. We host the Eagles this week. At 3-0, we are one of three undefeated teams in the league. The Eagles are 1-3, so they are not onf of them. You do know that they are looking for a win.

Lucky so far, our players are healthy.

We are third in the AFC power ratings behind Oakland and Baltimore, with Denver and Kansas City right behind us.

We are favored by eleven versus McNabb’s troupe. We have a better QB and RB, but to the eagles goes O-Line, LB squad, secondary, special teams, and coaching. Let’s see what shakes out.

With 6:32 left in the game, we are up 34-30 and Phily gets the ball back. Can we hold the line?

Fourth and four and it looks like we did. But they fake punt and convert! Sean Landeta completes a 5 yard pass - just enough for a 1st!

Then, three plays later, McNabb winds back and BANG! Donovan Darius, teammate of McNabb's at Syracuse "The Other Donovan" grabs the ball and 55 yards later he scores.

Jags 41, Eagles 30

Game MVP: QB Mark Brunell, 28 of 46 for 464 yards, 3 TDs, 2 Ints, 2 times sacked.

Game Ball: WR Bobby Shaw, 9 catches, 178 yards, 2 TDs

Get this, McNabb was not sacked at all, and was just picked off the one time. It was enough for a loss though.

C Kevin Long was hurt during the game, and could be out for a week or two.

4-0 after Week 5. Let’s see what we can do with the rest of the season.

{End Recording}

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:27 AM   #13
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Week six has arrived and with it we travel to Tennessee to take on our division rival and hated foe – the Titans. The Titans are 3-2 and it should prove to be an interesting battle.

Tennessee is a four point underdog, and you know that will get them riled up, not being favorites in their own stadium.

Maybe Adelphia will be like a second home for the Jags, and not vice versa.

We are a lot alike, with a bunch of areas rated the same by scouts. We have a better QB, D-Line, and Secondary – they have better WR and LB.

So, let’s see how the thing goes.

We are down 17-3 at the half and we have allowed some impressive, long, and sustained drives by the Titans. We try to make a game out of it, and are driving in the red zone when the game expires. We lose 13-20.

Game MVP was DE Jevon Kearse, who sacked Brunell 5 times.

Game Ball: MLB Wali Rainer, 14 Tacks, 1 Asst, 1 Int

Brunell was sacked 6 times. Ouch. Both Jimmy Smith and Bobby Shaw had 100 yard games.

Despite being at 4-1, we are way down on the AFC power ratings. Chicago is the league's last undefeated team at 5-0.

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

We travel to Baltimore this week to fight an old foe. The Ravens are doing well with their own rebuilding project at 3-2. We are favored by 2. The league scouts claim we have a better QB, RB, WR, D-Line, and Secondary. And Baltimore has better LBs.

Baltimore is the first on the board with a TD, but we respond with 17 unanswered point to go up at halftime 17-7.

In the second half, Baltimore fails to make the proper adjustments and we just keep hammering them.

Jax: 34, Balt: 10

Game MVP: QB Mark Brunell, 24 of 34 for 272 yards, 2 TDs, 0 Ints, sacked 5 times.

Game Ball: RB Fred Taylor, 18 rushes for 123 yards and a TD, 7 catches for 102 yards

Kiwaukee Thomas also returned a pick for a TD, Battles forced two fumbles and our defense basically dominated the game.

Excellent game!

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

Next up are the expansion Texans and their 2-4 selves coming to J-ville. We are favored by eleven points, and all over the place by scouts – we have a better QB, RB, WRs, and D-Line. We need to continue our winning ways. Can't let Houston get in the way.

Houston scores a TD with a couple of minutes left in the first. We had been battling in our half of the field the entire quarter. We then march down the field and kick our own FG. Then we get the ball back after Houston goes 3 and out. A quick strike by Brunell puts us up 10-7. Two more FGs and the score is 16-7 at the half.

We finish the day at 23-10.

Game MVP: RB Fred Taylor, 19 carries for 136 yards, 1 TD, 6 grabs for 60 yards.

Game Ball: G Chris Naeole, 6 KRB, 0 SkA

CB Jason Craft returned another INT for a TD.

6-1 and looking for love. Who’s going to give us some?

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

Week 9 opens up as I gaze across the Meadowlands. We are here to play the other New York team, having already beaten the Jets earlier this season. Now we try to go 2-0 versus New York.

Pittsburgh is also 6-1, and we are the only two teams in the NFL with just one loss. Chicago is still unbeaten at 7-0, however.

People are talking about the playoffs around here again. It feels good. I’ve been here for a few months, but the stagnancy was overwhelming at times. Now, the air is fresh again.

We are favored by eight, despite playing on the 4-3 Giants home turf. Literally. This may be an open stadium, but it has turf. Same turf Mountaineer Field had at WVU until this year when they replaced it.

We rate as better than the Giants in, WR, O-Line, and Secondary. They rate better at coaching. It’s about time for kickoff, so I’m heading back upstairs to the box.

The G-Men get on the board early with a FG with just minutes off the clock. With no fear, we return with a long drive that ends in a Taylor-made TD. Heh. Taylor-made. Hafta remember that one.

Still, the Giants keep it close at 10-10 until another TD puts us up 17-10 with 7 seconds to go in the half.

The G-Men answer early in the third to tie the game back at 17. No fear, two drives with a FG and TD put up on top by 10 entering the fourth. We score another TD before game's end when we win 34-17.

Game MVP: RB Fred Taylor, 24 carries for 151 yards and 1 TD, 4 catchesf or 72 yards and a TD.

Game Ball: QB Mark Brunell, 17 of 28 for 206 yards, 3 TDs, 0 Ints, 0 times sacked.

That kind of effciency should be rewarded, I think.

John Henderson recorded a sack and a half, and Kiwaukee Thomas grabbed another pick.

We emerge from the game very injury-free. Chicago won today to keep their streak alive, but Pitt was upended by Cleveland. Every away team lost this week except for us and Baltimore. Interesting.

{End Recording}

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:27 AM   #14
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Week 10 has come and we are 7-1, staring at the 5-3 Redskins. They come to our house. Spurrier has left Jacksonville, only to return. This week, all of the news was Spurrier this and Spurrier that. Whatever. All that matters to me is that we are seven-point favorites and I intend to exceed that.

Oh yeah. Coughlin got real pissed at me last week when I took over and called a couple of plays in the middle of the game. Sorry, TC, but I can’t promise that I won’t even do that again. Wayne wasn’t particularly happy with that either. Sometimes all these people have been around the football game so much they can’t see the forest for the trees. Just like a civilian runs our military, so one needs to run the football operations.

We are ranked better at QB, Rec and Secondary. The Skins are supposedly superior in RB, O-Line, LB, and Coach.

Alright, the kickoff is underway, and here we go.

At the half its 14-3 Jacksonville. I was doing some work and I missed the first half. I sit in the owner’s box for the second half.

We keep the ball and keep pounding both the ground and the air. We never let up on the Skins.

Jacksonville's Home comong for Spurrier. Jags 31, Skins 3

Game MVP: QB Mark Brunell, 18 of 27 for 188 yards, 2 TDs, 0 Ints, 2 time sacked.

Game Ball: CB Fernando Bryant, 4 Tacks, 1 FF, 1 FumRec, 1 TD off a FunRec.

We have a very opportunistic defense this year.

A good, solid game all around.

8-1 and ready for the playoffs.

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

Week 11 brings love and chocolate. Unfortunately, WLB TJ Slaughter will be out for a few weeks. He is our first major injury to a starter all season long. Eric Westmoreland will start in his place.

I am gazing over the new stadium here in Houston and it’s very lovely. I’ll like playing here, so long as we win. The Texans are 3-6 and looking to continue a promising first year for an expansion team.

We are ten point favorites to take them out. We are alone atop the AFC, and Chicago is still unbeaten in the NFC at 9-0.

And we win 27-17. Rather boring game actually, as we jumped out to an early lead and kept it the whole way.

Game MVP: QB Mark Brunell, 19 of 33 for 169 yards and no scores, INTs or sacks.

How did he get he game MVP award?

Game Ball: RB Fred Taylor, 18 carries for 82 yards and a TD, 3 catches for 32 yards

S Marlon McCree had a pick returned for a TD and Brackens recovered a blocked punt in the endzone for a TD.

A good day. Yes, I like Reliant Stadium

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

At 9-1 return to the scene of the crime in Texas for a matchup with the 2-8 Cowboys. We are favored by thirteen. We supposedly have a better QB and RB while they have a better LB corps.

MLB Wali Rainer is a bit banged. I'll have to watch that during the game. Don't want him injured more severly.

At halftime, the game is literally knotted at 7-7. We score early in the third, though, to make it 14-7. Then they get two consecute FGs to put the score at 14-13 about 10 minutes into the second half.

Then another FG as the clock moves to the fouth quarter put the Cowboys up by 2. Then we hammer the bal into the redzone on on 3rd and 2 to goal, Brunell hits backup TE Prince for the score. 21-16

After some possession changes, Dallas gets the ball with 4:56 on the clock and 77 yards to march the ball.

Carter begins to methodically move the Cowboys down the field until Akin Ayodele snatches the ball out of the air and the Jags get the ball on our own 48.

We move the ball downfield, burn some time off the clock. But, we are forced to punt. Cowboys with another chance to win the game. 1:21 on the clock, ball on their own 12.

Incomplete pass. Incomplete pass. 26 yard strike by Carter. Cowboys, without timeouts, spike the ball. 0:39 left.

Incomplete. False Start. Incomplete. 4th and 15 from the their own 23 with 0:16 left on the clock.

Pass completed for only 10 yards Ball goes over on downs.

Jags: 21, Boys: 16

Game MVP was Q. Carter.

Game Ball: DT John Henderson, 7 Tacks, 2 Sacks.

Jimmy Smith had a good day as well.

It was a truggle at times - still, we won. That’s what good teams do.

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

We tear into the 13th week of the season with furor. We have the AFC lead with 10-1. Denver, Indy, and Pittsburgh are at 8-3.

The Steelers are 8-3 and have little challenge for their division title. They come to Alltel Stadium, where our 10-1 Jag-ernaut will try and knock them off their feet.

Kiwaukee Thomas, Tony Brackens and Mike Pearson are all banged up after that Cowboys game last week. Yet, I don't have plans to bench any of them. Not yet, anyway.

We are favored by six versus a team that has better RB, O-Line, LBs, and coaching while we have better QB and D-Line.

It’s 46 degrees in Jacksonville – unusually cold. This matchup is supposed to be a good game - maybe a preview of a playoff game.

I suppose it was. We are leading 19-14 in the fourth when the Steelers get the ball with 3:09 on the clock. And they march down the field. Stewart to Buress oin a 30 yard strike and they go up 20-19 with a failed 2-pt conversion.

So we have 1:57 to score a FG. Surely we can do it.

Twelve yard pass to Taylor. Incomplete. Incomplete. 3rd and 10. Incomplete.

4th and 10.

Brunell to Jimmy Smith. 10 yards. 1st down.
0:48 left on the clock with 2 timeouts. On your own 38.

Brunell pass to Shaw. Complete. 36 yards. Timeout.

Four yard run. 18 yard run. 12 seconds, 1st and 4 to goal. Down by one. Bring out the kicker, right?

Coughlin brings out the offense. Fasle Start. Must've been as confused as I was.

Field Goal attempt. My undrafeted rookie kicker with a game on the line.

26 yard FG attempt. Good. 22-20.

Pittsbugh returns the ball 58 yards. But not for a TD.

Game MVP: Mark Brunell, 25 of 44 for 257 yards, 2 TDs, no Ints, 3 times sacked.

Game Ball: RB Fred Taylor, 15 carries for 110 yards, 3 catches for 36 yards.

Funny. That crazy Coughlin.

11-1 with only one quarter of the season left. Here come the Jags!

{End Recording}

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:28 AM   #15
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We are sitting on top of the NFL with a 11-1 record. Chicago lost last week to thge Browns, so they are also 11-1.

And now we host the 6-6 Giantkillers. We are favored by eleven versus Cleveland. We have better QB, RB, and D-Line. Hopefully, we’ll move the ball well and stuff the Browns.

Brackens, Coleman and Log are each a bit naged. But, they will all play this week.

And we score. Fast. We go up by a TD early in the first quarter. Excellent.

After a few possessions, we convert a 3rd and 20 with a 21 pass play to Smith. Taylor follows that up with a 7 yard scamper, but we are forced to punt. Cleveland gets a FG early in the second.

A few possession changes ensue, then we pin them on the 1 yard line. Great Special Teams play there team!

On 3rd and 5, on their own 6, the Browns break a huge 47 yard run by Witman. But we sack them, then pick off the ball and return it to the 14. Brunell tosses a pass in the end zone and we hit - 14-3 Jags.

We each add some scores in the second half, and we win 23-13.

Game MVP: Tony Brackens, 6 Tacks, 3 Assts, 2.5 sacks.

Game Ball: DT Marcus Stroud, 3 tacks, 2 Assts. 2.5 Sacks.

Freddie also notched 115 yards and a TD on the ground.

12-1.

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

We travel to the field here at Cincinnati where the 6-7 Bengals host us. We are favored by nine. Backup TE Ryan Prince was banged up a bit in the Browns game, and he is out for at least this game, maybe longer. TE Chris Luzar was activated to replace him.

We supposedly have a better QB, RB, D-Line, and Secondary. The Benglas have a better O-Line and LB Corps.

We are gunning for the ability to rest on a Sunday, and homefield advantage. We are on top of the power ratings.

The Bengals though – you know? They are the Bengals. We can’t look past them and drop a game. Just cannot do it. Championship teams win these games.

We force the Bengals to go three and out with their first possession of the game – I hope it is an omen of things to come. Then we turn the ball over. And the Bengals hit us with Dillon, Dillon, and more Dillon. They are up by a TD 3:30 into the game.

We respond with our own TD. 7-7 in the middle of the first.

The Bengals try a fake put on their own 40 on a 4th and 7. They fail. How mind boggling is that?

Still, they knock us back, we commit a penalty, and we have to punt the ball.

Frerotte and Dillon are moving the ball when Stroud and Brackens sack Frerotte. He fumbles and Stroud recovers.

So, it looks good. Until Taylor fumble son the first offensive play and Cincinnati gets it right back.

This time, the Bengals do not turn the ball over, and 7 plays later Frerotte finds Houshmandzedah in the endzone for a score. Bengals up 14-7.

We drive and hard, getting into the redzone. Bur Brunell tosses a pick and the Bengals get the ball back again.

At halftime the score is 14-10 bengals, as we force them to punt and then manage to kick a FG.

K Mayes hits a 52 yard field goal to open the second half. 14-13 Bengals. He'll miss a 50 yarder later in the quarter and the score stays the same.

On the next drive Wali Rainer sacks Frerotte on 1st, incomplete pass, then Rainer sacks him again on 3rd. Ouch.

A few possession changes and we are staring at 3rd and 1 on our own 43. And Taylor breaks a 57 yard run! We fail the 2 pt try, so we are up 19-14 with 2 minutes left in the third quarter.

So Cincinnati move the ball 11 plays and 80 yards for a TD. Very nice on Frerotte's part. They hit a 2-pt conversion and are up, 22-19.

With 6:20 left in the game, Brunell and company set up K Mayes for a 43 yard field goal to tie the game. And it's wide left...

We force the Bengals offense to punt, we have the ball back with 3:12 and 80 yards to the endzone, but a FG will tie and put us in OT.

Sevreal penalites and plays later we are on our own 26 facing 4th and 9. Coughlin. Punts?!?! Punts??

And amazingly enough, our defense uses two time outs and holds them. 1:18 left on our own 17. Let's go.

Incomplete. 5 yard completion. Incomplete. Brunell sacked.

Game Over.

Bengals over Jags 22-19.

Game MVP is Frerotte.

Game Ball: MLB Wali Rainer, 14 Tacks, 2 Sacks.

Fred Taylor also had another 100 yard outing.

A pretty diappointing game, all things told.

Twelve and two.

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

The only teams close to us are 10-4 Pittsburgh and Denver. Since we beat Pittsburgh head to head, we may end up having a tie breaker on them anyway. So, if we lose our next two, and even if Pittsburgh and Denver both win their next two, we may still have a bye week.

We host the 8-6 Titans this week, and they might have something to say about who plays when and where. We are alone on top of the Power Ratings with Oakland right behind.

We are favored by eleven when we host the Titans. We supposedly have a better QB, RB, O-Line, Secondary and Special Teams. They are better at WR, LB and coaching. But we’re playing at Alltel Stadium. This is the year we do well and spank the Titans, so I assume we’ll have a good crowd waiting.

Waiting for vengeance.

We have 71,000 screaming fans in a stadium that holds 75k.

We establish that we are going for the jugular from the very first possession. A long sustained drive has us up by 7 early.

After a few possession changes, the Titans punch the ball in from the 2 on the first play in the second quarter.

We natoch a FG, then a few possession changes occur when the Titans pin up very deep with a few minutes to go in the half. And they sack Brunell, getting a safety. 10-9 Jags but the Titans get the ball Ugh.

Titans drive and kick a FG to go up 12-10 at the half.

They score a FG early in the third but we answer late in the third with a TD and 2 pt conversion to go up 18-15.

We get the go ahead score with 4:51 left in the game. 25-15.

Titans drive down with alacrity and score a TD and its 25-22.

They force us to go three and out, but fumble on the punt, and we recover. And that's your game.

Game MVP was McNair.

Good game for the Jax fans in the stadium.

Game Ball: RB Fred Taylor, 18 carries for 98 yards, 3 catches for 20 yards.

Wali Rainer also had a pick, our onlt turnover of the game.

13-2 and ready for prime time.

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

With our win we are guaranteed the top playoff spot. As such, we could ret our starters this week, but we have no injuries, so I choose not to.

We now travel to Indianapolis to end the season with the team we began in with. Indy is 9-6 and ties with KC and Oakland who are also 9-6. Therefore, Indy needs to win this game to be in the playoofs.

So what are we playing for? Keeping Indy out would be a good idea. We are goong in as the first seed, so you have to win in our house to make it to the Super Bowl. No way we'll have to travel to Denver in the artic wind and try to steal a win from a 13-3/12-4 team.

We are favored by seven. Despite the fact that they are a domed, 9-win team at home versus a stadium division rival. Heh. Let’s see how it breaks down.

Smith catches a 26 yard TD for the first score of the game midway through the first quarter.

Indy answers with a FG, so we get the ball back with a chance to go up big. And we go four and out. Indy drives and tries a 44 yard FG. CB Bryant blocks it and McCree returns it 15 yards.

Mayes knock a 52 yarder in on the ensuing drive and we are again up by 7.

We each score a TD before the half, so it's 17-10 heading into the locker room.

After the half, Indy punches James in for a TD from the 1. On our first offensive play, Brunell is picked off by Bashir and he scores on the runback. Colts up 24-17.

Three plays and 84 yards later we answer with another Jimmy Smith TD. 24-24 in the middle of the third.

The Colts drive, drive and then Wali rainer picks Manning off at the 3. And returns in 97 yards for our own defensive score! 31-24 Jags.

Indy drives but only makes it to the 50. And when they punt, Wali Rainer blocks the punt! We mange to get the ball downfield enough for a FG and its 34-24 with 10 minutes left in the game.

And, on the kickoff return, Indy takes it 97 yards for a TD. 34-31. Crazy game.

Several possession changes later the Colts have the ball with 2:24 on the clock on their own 7.

Pass for four yards. Pass for three yards. pass to Ismail for 12 yards, new set of downs. Ed James cathes for 18 yards. Ismail for 16 yards.

Incomplete. False Start. Incomplete. Incomplete.

4th and 15. On the Jag's 45. 0:51 left, all three timeouts still on the board. Down by three.

Manning back to pass.

Incomplete.

We run and Taylor gets a first down. That's game.

MVP is Manning. Final score 34-31 Jags.

I give out two game balls this week:

MLB Wali Rainer, 12 Tacks, 1 Sack, 1 Int, 1 Int TD, 1 Block Punt

FL Jimmy Smith, 6 catches for 106 yards and 2 TDs.

G Chris Naeole and MLB Joe Tuipala are out for a few weeks, maybe even for the playoffs.

14-2. We are in the playoffs with the top seed – have to be excited about that!

{End Recording}

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:28 AM   #16
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

NFL Primetime:

Chris Berman: No, what I’m saying is that there is no way he should have gotten the penalty. Anyways, let’s move on to the playoff picture, let’s start with Super Bowl predictions – Stu?

Stuart Scott: Gotta go with the Bears from the NFC – they have a bye to rest, and all NFC teams go through Illinois – nobody is going to win at Illinois. AFC, hmmm, Denver, I think. They emerged from a hard conference and look to be a powerful team. So, Bears-Broncos.

Tom Jackson: No way I’d pick Denver. Bears is a good call, I agree. But Denver? I’m going with Pittsburgh. They are the only team in the league to sweep their division. They know how to win the important games.

Steve Young: See, how can you not go with Jacksonville?

Tom: Oh…

Steve Young: No seriously, I know you are going to say that they lost to Cincy a few weeks ago – but that was a game that didn’t matter, much, on the road. Now they have a bye week, and anybody who wants to be the AFC Conference Chap is going to have to defeat Jacksonville. I don’t see any team doing that at Alltel. So I go with Jacksonville. Now, in the NFC, I like the Bucs. They are the number 2 seed and a powerful team to have to deal with. So, I predict a Bucs-Jaguars Super Bowl.

Ron Jaworski: I understand Steve’s sentiment – he went to Jacksonville during his last season with the 49ers and got absolutely hammered.

Steve: Literally, I felt Tony Brackens for two weeks.

Ron: Haha. Still, the Raiders are in the playoffs as a wild card, and we know they can knock off any team. They have a lot of confidence. I know they are a wild card team, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Oakland in San Diego this year. Still, I think the smart money has to be on the Jaguars making their first Super Bowl appearance.

Chris: I’ve got Denver and I like the Giants as well – although if you are going with wild card teams, I really like what the Redskins have done this year in the NFC.

Ron: No doubt about it.

Stuart: So, there you have it, nobody knows who to support, and there is no consensus here. Now, next topic. Dallas and Atlanta both went 2-14 this year and have the #1 and #2 picks in the draft – who would you be looking at?

Tom: Well, I think it’s no question really, ….

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:28 AM   #17
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

First Week of Matches:

Green Bay (8-8) at New York Giants (11-5)
Washington (10-6) at Arizona (8-8)
Kansas City (9-7) at Pittsburgh (11-5)
Oakland (10-6) at Buffalo (8-8)

Giants over Packers, 28-24
Arizona over Washington, 23-7
Kansas City over Pittsburgh, 10-7
Oakland over Buffalo, 34-27

Second Week of Matches:

Arizona at Chicago
Kansas City at Jacksonville
Oakland at Denver
New York at Tampa Bay

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:29 AM   #18
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

“Predict the Surprise Team

Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.Com

I emailed various editors and writers here at ESPN.Com to get their picks for which playoff team this week will be the biggest surprise – which underdog will definitely emerge victorious. For the record, the favored teams are:

Chicago by 10
Jacksonville by 8
Tampa by 1
Oakland by 2

Here are their comments:

John Clayton: Giants. Nothing against the Bucs or what they have done this year, but there is no way that Tampa, or any other team for that matter, is going to be ableto dismatle Fassel's Giants. They have simply played too well down the stretch.

Chris Mortenson: Denver. This is a team which has defeated some of the supposed best teams in the league, and now they are playing at Mile High – no easy fate for the Raiders. The Broncos have confidence, and they proved that they can win against the tough teams. The Broncos will take down the Raiders with little trouble.

Tom Jackson: Arizona. Arizona was running on every cylinder plus a few extra spark plugs when they handed Washington a big playoff blowout. Now, fresh off the most impressive win last week, they head to Chicago. No offense to Bears fans, but these are not the same Bears we’ve come to know. This is a tema with weaknesses, and I think Arizona will exploit them. Playing away from their stadium will eventually hurt the Bears, and I think here, in the playoffs, is where it will all come out.

Andrea Kramer: Denver. Shanahan is so good at coaching in cold weather that he should move the Broncos to Alaska. Oakland is the kind of team which can win at Mile High – hard and gritty. But the Broncos just have too much, and should win easily.

Sean Salisbury: Giants. The only reason the Bucs are favored is because they are playing at home, but the Giants proved this week that they can win at hard places. This is a dream matchup for the Giants, against a slow Tampa team, and there is no other team they would rather face.

For the record, I go with Oakland getting its ears rung in Denver.

-Len"

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:29 AM   #19
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We host the Chiefs this week. They are fresh off a big road win knocking off the Steelers. Yet, we are favored by eight. I am starting SS Donovan Darius as our Punt Returner for the playoffs – he’s our best man. I didn’t want to risk him during the regular year, but he’s good at it, so we’ll see what he can do in the playoffs.

It promises to be a classic fight. Hurray for the new AFC.

RG Chris Naeole has been deactivated for this game. Zach Wiegart will start in his stead.

Kickoff is about to start and I’m not leaving this seat.

Our first play is a 16 yard completion to Jimmy Smith. Our second is a completion of 14 yards to Johnson. Moving the chains. Nice. Three consecutive runs fail to yield a new set of downs and we punt. Not nice.

KC starts moving the ball downfield. They end up kicking a FG to go up 3-0.

We get two consecutive runs for 7 yards each before Brunell hits Jimmy for a 25 yarder and he runs for 9 more before being brought down at the Chiefs 17. We get 12 yard gain by Taylor up the middle on 3rd and 5, putting us on the Chiefs 5. A 5 yard draw by Brunell puts us up 7-3.

Donovin Darius was injured on a play late in the 1st quarter. I'll have to check on him.

Several possession changes, a Jax FG, and half of the second quarter later, Brunell tosses a pick to Crockett and the Chiefs start with the ball on their 48. They move the ball slowly andmethodically before they are stopped late. KC kicks a FG to bring the score to 10-6.

And that's the score at the half.

With 10:36 left in the Third, Coughlin calls for a 56 yard FG. And. Our rookie, undrafted, kicker. In the playoffs. Makes it. 13-6.

Another two possession changes and KC gets the ball after a punt. A 24 yard catch by Gonzalez is followed by a 35 yard catch by him, putting the Chiefs at our 10 yard line. A Delay of Game is followed by a 6 yard scamper by Priest Holmes. 2nd and 9. Then a run by Holmes around the left end picks up 8. 3rd and 1. They run Holmes again. TD for KC

Score is 13-13 heading into the 4th.

On our next drive we look to be stalling. 3rd and 9. Then a 41 yard play to Kyle Brady moves us into the red zone. Fred runs for 17 yards inside the left tackle and we score a TD! 20-13

On 3rd and 10, the Chiefs complete a 6 yard pass play but Morris fumbles after we hit him. The ball bounces down field a dn the Chiefs recover another 16 yards downfield for a 1st!

We still hold them on the very next set of downs. And then they sack Brunell and hold us. KC fair catches the punt at the 50.

10:25 left in the game.

On 3rd and 1, the Chiefs pass to convert. Interception by Fernando Bryant!

2 minutes later we have driven downfield and a Taylor plunge puts us up by 14.

KC kicks a FG with 4:45 left. 27-16 Jax.

KC holds us defensively and we have to punt. 2:39 left in the game, KC on their 34, two timeouts left. Down by 11. They need a TD and a FG.

What do they open up with? 37 yard pass to Priest Holmes. They are already in FG range. Then an incomplete pass is followed by Henderson sacking Green.

Two Minute Warning.

They complete a 10 yard pass to bring up 4th and 4. And Jax commits a crucial procedural penalty, giving the Chiefs a 1st down.

Three incomplete passes later brings up 4th and 10 on the Jags 19. They go for it.

Incomplete. Turnover on downs.

Game over.

Jax 27, KC 16.

Game MVP and Game Ball: Fred Taylor, 29 rushes for 159 yards, 2 TDs, 4 catches for 27 yards.

Taylor put on a workshop for all the other RBs in the league.

Here we go!

{End Recording}

NFL Primetime

Stuart Scott: We had no surprises this week. Every team that was favored has won. I know Tommy will be glad about that – makes him appear smart. Jacksonville upending the Chiefs in a great game. Oakland by a field goal over Denver. A high scoring game betweem the Bucs and Giants leaves the Bucs on top in a game where the cumulative score was 87 points. Wow. And the Bears hold firm over the Cards. What observations and predictions do you guys have, and we’ll start with Tommy?

Tom Jackson: See, I told you guys that no surprises appeared to be in store last week. Look, the Bucs came from a tough division, and they have proved they are for real. And I’m going to stick with my other original pick – Oakland. Both of my teams are still in it – so let’s go.

Ron Jaworski: My Giants fell, although I did ultimately pick the Jaguars for the AFC. I think they passed their test last week, and they’ll cruise through Oakland. The Raiders weren’t smelling all that sweet with their 26-23 victory. And, I have to go with the Bears in the NFC as well. So, Jags-Bears - both number one seeds hold on.

Sterling Sharpe: Jags-Bears? Man you have no…well, you know. I wasn’t here the last time, but I sure wouldn’t have let you guys get away with those picks. The Raiders have proved time and again that they are tough – I think they’ll upset the Jaguars this week. And yeah, in the NFC, I’d place money on the Bucs just powering through the Bears.

Steve Young: Sterling roots against his own division!

Sterling Sharpe: Hey man, I’m a reporter now – gotta hold onto my credibility.

Steve: Hold on to those $100 pens too.

Sterling: Ohhhhhh

Steve: I went with the Jags before this started, and I’m sticking with the Jags. And, I’m going with the Bears that Sterling won’t support. I’ll give Chicago some love.

Stuart: Well, as Chris Berman says, “Nobody Circles the Wagons Like the Tampa Bay Bucs.” I think the AFC game comes down to simple defense – who has it? The Raiders. Who will win? The Raiders, led by Rich Gannon. Bucs crush the Bears feel-good playoff story in Illinois. And that’s it for Primetime tonight. Turn in next time when we find out which of these losers was right.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:30 AM   #20
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The AFC Championship.

The hump that the Jaguars could never get over.

Can they get over it today?

Jacksonville is favored by six as we play on our own turf. We supposedly have better RB and Coaching. They are better in practically eveything else. Naeole is still limping a bit, but we’re playing him. Darius is out for the remiander of the playoffs. SS Boyd will be starting for us against the Raiders.

I want a ring. And a trophy. We’re the first game this week, so the winner won’t know whether or not the Bears or the Bucs will be on the other side of the field in San Diego.

Smell that Jacksonville air. Oakland, that is your doom. Alltel Stadium is your doom.

We move the ball down the field quickly, with four consecutive plays over 10 yards. Then a pass to Brady puts us up by 7.

Oakland marches and ties it with great speed. They have a great passing game, and we need to be wary.

We are forced to punt and Oakland breaks a 24 yard run by Garner. We force them to kick a long FG and Janikowski's shot just misees.

We drive a bit, and Mayes lines up for his own long FG attempt. And he, too, misses. Raider get the ball back.

Oakland drives back and we stop them in the redzone and force a FG. Oakland on top 10-7.

Another set of possession changes and Oakland's James Jett catches a 17 yard pass on a crucial 3rd and 9 to keep their drive alive. Oakland runs the ball and the clock goes down. Jordan plunges the ball in from the 1 with 18 second left in the half.

Oakland 17-7 at the half.

Early in the third we drive until Brunell is sacked and that brings up 3rd and 16. Brunell somehow hits Shaw for 19 yards in double coverage, and we cap the drive four plays later with a 7 yard TD pass to Taylor. 17-14 Oakland.

We keep Oakland from moving the ball, then the second play on our next drive is a 35 yard bomb to Jimmy Smith. We keep the ball moving and Mayes tries a 31 yard FG to tie the game with 13:27 left.

He. Misses. A 31 yard FG.

Despite being called for holding, Oakland manages to convert and start moving the ball downfield. Every time I think we have them, they continue to move. 3rd and 15 on our 49 and they complete a 16 yard pass to Jett. That is, until they face 3rd and 14 and the pass to Rice falls incomplete.

Janikowski lines up for a 55 yard attempt. It's good.

20-14 Raiders.

Three incomplete passes and we are forced to punt with 5:50 left on the clock.

Oakland, after a holding call, completes a 46 yard bomb to Timmy Brown. A few plays later and Oakland, after yet another holding call, has 1st and 17 to goal. Incomplete pass. 7 yard play to Crockett. Incomplete pass. Janikowski FG.

23-14 Oakland. 2:42 on the clock.

Jaguears. Incomplete. 21 yards to Shaw. Interception.

That's pretty much the game right there. We lost by 9.

MVP Rich Gannon.

Game Ball: LB Danny Clark, 9 tacks, 3 assts, 2.5 sacks.

Game Ball: Jimmy Smith, 8 catches, 165 yards

So, we lost. In the AFC Championship.

Again.

{End Recording}

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:30 AM   #21
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

HBO’s Inside the NFL

Bob Costas: Well, now we have, what I call, “The Week of Inane Minutia.” This is when practically every tiny detail of the Super Bowl teams is revealed and every reporter around the country is writing about the Raiders janitor and the Bears practice squad. Any comments about the Championship games before we proceed?

Cris Collinsworth: I have one, Bob. I think that the Raiders proved themselves as the best AFC team, but hey, Jacksonville hung in the entire game, and only lost by nine – they have noting to be ashamed of. My complaint about the championship games comes from the NFC. What is up with the Bucs defense? Or their offense. Losing to the Bears 34-0. Man, that was a spanking! Can the Raiders stand up the Bears?

Dan Marino: All week people were talking about the Bucs defense this and the Bucs defense that. What we saw was the Bears defense make a statement or two.

Cris Collinsworth: Yeah, but can a team that had a good game win versus a team that just mauled the other team?

Cris Carter: Why not? You can never tell from one week to te next how games are going to be played. We can all recall Championship blowouts where that team was subsequently blownout in the Superbowl. Giants-Ravens is an excellent example.

Bob: Chicago is favored by two. So, who wins the Super Bowl, and by how much?

Dan: No question in my mind – Raiders. The Super Bowl is in balmy San Diego with a climate similar to Oakland. The Bears are going from night to day. Literally. Plus, the Raiders offense is, I think, too much for Bears. Raiders by 7.

Cris Carter: What? No way the Raiders are taking this. They are happy just to be here – but the Bears are hungry and pushing. Chicago by 4, easy.

Cris Collinsworth: I think you have to break down the positions. QB? Raiders. RB? Wash. Receivers? Raiders. Offensive Line? Bears. Defensive Line? Raiders. Linebackers? Wash. Secondary? Raiders. Special Teams? Raiders. Coaching? Wash. I think that, should the Bears win, it is because of their LB corps – they have to find a way to exploit their strengths. But, the Raiders simply fall as stronger. Raiders by 10.

Bob: By 10, wow. I’m going to go with Gannon and the lightning hot Raiders as well. I think they’ve built up enough stem to head through the Bears. Raiders by a field goal. Anyway, that’s it for this week. Next time will be our last show. We’ll have players from both teams on….

NFL SportsTicker....

Chicago def. Oakland in Super Bowl 23-20

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:30 AM   #22
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Jag Stats:

QB Mark Brunell (15 Games), 324 of 533, 4032 yards, 21 TDs, 11 Int, 39 Sacks, 1 Rush TD

RB Fred Taylor, 262 rushes for 1463 yards, 11 TDs, 73 catches for 614 yards, 2 TDs
RB Stacey Mack, 91 rushes for 387 yards, 2 TDs, 18 catches for 129 yards, 1 TD

WR Bobby Shaw, 81 grabs for 1228 yards, 5 TDs
WR Jimmy Smith, 63 catches for 1002 yards, 6 TDs
TE Kyle Brady, 29 grabs for 341 yards, 2 TDs, 5 KRB out of 8 KRO

K Rickey Mayes 36 of 47, 52 Longest, 39 of 42 PAT

ILB Wali Rainer, 124 Tacks, 30 Assts, 4 Sacks, 3 Int, 1 Int TD, 4 PasDef
SS Donovin Darius, 90 Tacks, 25 Assts, 1 Sack, 5 Ints, 2 Int TDs, 14 PasDef, 2 FF
FS Ainsley Battles, 84 Tacks, 31 Assts, 5 Ints, 1 Int TD, 9 PasDef, 4 FF

DE Tony Brackens, 48 Tacks, 32 Assts, 12.5 Sacks, 1 FF, 1 FumRec, 1 FR TD
DE Marco Coleman, 27 Tacks, 3 Assts, 9 Sacks, 1 FF, 1 FumRec

CB Jason Craft, 53 Tacks, 16 Assts, 4 Ints, 2 Int TDs, 15 PasDef, 1 FF, 1 FumRec

G Chris Naeole, 31 KRB out of 84 KRO, 4 SkA
C Kevin Long, 24 KRB out of 68 KRO, 8 SkA

Awards:

NFL 2nd Team RB Fred Taylor
NFL 2nd Team K Rickey Mayes
NFL 2nd Team DE Tony Brackens
NFL 2nd Team ILB Wali Rainer

RB Taylor had the highest yards per average in the league at 5.5, by the way.

Offensive MVP of the NFL was Tiki Barber, with 1507 rushing yards and 6 rushing TDs, 85 catches for 743 yards and 3 TDs.

Defensive Player of the Year was Anthony Simmons.

Joey Harrington and Julius Peppers were the rookies in offense and defense, respectively.

Player of the Year was Drew Bledsoe.

And that is, as they say, that.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:31 AM   #23
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

General Manager Report – Finances

Total Revenues: $92,510,000
Total Expenses: $63,140,000
Profit: $29,370,000

Total Franchise Value - $347,470,000 – 5th Lowest in NFL.

Average Weekly Attendance for Home Games: 67,700 (90.2%)

Alltel Stadium: Outdoor/Natural Grass Stadium.

Average Condition, Good Turf, Average Parking Lot

Jacksonville Information:

Population of region: 1,040,000
Growth: 2.0%
Average Income: $26,400
Poverty Level: 14.0%

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:31 AM   #24
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Offseason – Pre-Draft

My year end score – 90 for team performance, 50 franchise value, 71 profit/loss, 80 roster strength. 68 Score.

Alltel Stadium is only 8 years old – I have to wait 7 more years before getting the ability to modify it.

My Scout and Coach will stick around for another year, at least, while I go through my virgin offseason.

Punter Lee Johnson has retired.

I have several major players out of a contract, including the following starters:

QB Mark Brunell
C Kevin Long
K Rickey Mayes
RDE Tony Brackens
SLB Danny Clark
WLB T.J. Slaughter

And sometimes starters:

LCB Kiwaukee Thomas
FL Patrick Johnson
FB Patrick Washington
LG Chrys Bullock

There are three players on this list I need back – Brunell, Brackens, and Long. I head over to the free agents list and see where the backlog is. Hopefully, I’ll franchise one, and sign the other two immediately. I am currently 40 mill under the cap.

Kevin Long is the 4th ranked C, Brunell the top QB, and Brackens the 2nd DE. So I slap a tag on Brunell.

I also don't touch ticket prices. We had enough difficulty filling seats as is.

I hit free agency looking for upgrades at several positions. Most importantly, P, outside LB positions, CB, FS, FB, FL, and OT (L or R)

Cleveland makes a laughable offer for Donovin Darius. I hit free agency. I begin by contacting Kevin Long and his agent Leon Heise a contract for a long term deal. I submit an offer for 14.78 mill over 4 years. Then I move to Brackens. He wants mad money. I offer him 45 mill for five years. I also make offers to:

FB Mack Strong - 6 mill over 4 years
FL Marty Booker - 31 mill over 4 years
P Todd Sauerbrun - 5 mill for 4 years
SLB Kevin Hardy - 15 mill over 4 years
RT Adam Meadows - 23 mill over 5 years
LCB Mike McKenzie - 25 mill over 4 years
FS Sam Shade - 17.4 mill over 5 years

I know that I won't get all of thse guys, and just getting two or three would be great.

Let’s see how it breaks down.

Sam Shade signs immediately.

Tony Brackens, Kevin Hardy and Mike Mckenzie sign with us fast, in the third week of free agency. Excellent. Marty Booker has signed with the Dolphins.

In week four Sauerbrun and Meadows come into the fold. That leaves just Kevin Long out there. He is taking to to "long." Heh.

I revoke my offer and then offer a contract to C Mike Flynn of the Ravens. Mike Flynn signs with us the following week for a very cap friendly contract.

FB Mack Strong has gone elsewhere. I would still like a good FB. I take a look to see who is left. Larry Centers is still out there, and I offer him a two year deal.

Unfortunately, the Titans sign him first. I decide not to chase any more FBs and just wait and see what shakes loose.

There are two more signings I need to do.

Restricted Free Agents K Rickey Mayes and LG Chrys Bullock are needed and I want them long term. I sign Bullock to a two year deal worth 830k. Mayes gets a four year deal for 3.8 mill.

I now have 42 players under contract and I am ready to end free agency.

I am 10.8 mill under the cap and ready for drafting. Remember that we hold the 30th draft pick, so our draft should cost less, hence my spending.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:32 AM   #25
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We have 42 players under contract heading into the draft. So, by the numbers, we need:

QB, 1 or 2 RB, 2 FB, TE, 1 FL who can start, 1 FL, 1 starting WLB, 2 RCB

There are several starting worthy players in the WR and OLB spots, so let's hope one falls to me.

There are no players from Eastern Michigan in the draft.

Dallas has the Top Overall Selection in the draft. And they take....

Dallas - T Wendell Castillo from Nebraska.
Atlanta - DE Cornelius Lipscomb from Michigan
Jets - CB Marvin Bahr from Alabama
Houston - T Brent Lindrud from Texas A&M
Carolina - WR Scott Bauer from Tennessee
Baltimore - QB C.J. Foley from Washington
Miami - QB Christian Alcott from Oklahoma
New Orleans - OLB Quentin Pascal from Texas
Minnesota - ILB Heath Burnim from Michigan
Seattle - DT Morris Houck from Washington
New England - ILB Tito Guido from Michigan State
Philadelphia - RB Mitchell Hughes from Auburn
St. Louis - RB Vernon Spivey from Michigan
Detroit - RB Dale McConnell from Notre Dame
Cleveland - T Willie Peterson from Pittsburgh
San Francisco - RB Tim Levenson from Notre Dame
Green Bay - QB William Coles from Illinois
San Diego - OLB Sean Teel from Penn State
Cincinnati - QB Levon Steege from Pittsburgh
Indianapolis - CB Cris Greer from Florida State
Tennessee - RB Brady Turner from Michigan
Kansas City - OLB Ian Roca from Washington State
Washington - OLB Peter Razor from Colorado
Buffalo - S Nathan Duffy from Georgia
Arizona - CB Reuben Bakker from Michigan
Giants - T Vernon DeBastiani from Michigan
Pittsburgh - QB George Smith from Michigan
Tampa Bay - CB Scottie Tang from Georgia
Denver - OLB Jared Roberson from Kansas State

And then it's our turn. There are several good Split Ends out there. I could always try to convert one. We could also try and see if any of these corners works out. I decide to go with

Jacksonville - SE Brendon Lofton from Colorado
Oakland - QB Bart Steward from North Carolina
Chicago - QB Lee Heisser from Florida State

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:32 AM   #26
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Chris Berman: What's going on with this first round Mel? Seven quarterbacks and seven Michigan players selected. Pretty boring draft so far.

Mel Kiper, Jr.: Well Chris, what you are seeing is a realization among NFL teams that having a backup quarterback who can win you game sis just as important as having good starters in a lot of other areas. No other position is so crucial to the game. And you are seeing teams like Green Bay and Chicago drafting QBs becuase of it.

Jimmy Johnson: Plus you are seeing a lot of these QBs going to teams with older QBs like a Favre or a Gannon. They are picking up their quaterback of the future now, when they have a chance. Makes perfect sense.

Chris: How about all of thes Michigan players?

Mel: Scouts give higher grades to players who have played in tough games against fierce competetion. No other school can claim that as much as Michigan. That is what you are seeing here.

Chris: Alright, well, let's look at a few recent selections. Let's start with the Jaguars choosing receiver Branden Lofton from Colorado.

Mel: Well, Brenden is a good and well rounded receiver, and that's what new and untested GM Abe Sargent said he was looking for - a receiver that was well rounded. I am not that sure that is what Abe got.

Brenden is especially good at the big play. But, he'll need some time to develop into a well rounded receiver. For a few years, I think he'll flash brillance, but he won't be a good wideout for a while.

Jimmy: What I've got to wonder is why the Jaguars would draft a receiver this high when they had two receivers last year over 1000 yards.

Chris: That's an excellent question, but they could be going to a more open offense.

Mel: Having three quality receivers is quickly becomg a must in the modern NFL. You just need weapons, and teams use a 3 receiver set up so often these days.

Chris: Final verdict, Brenden a good choice here?

Mel: He probably was an early 2nd round receiver, but not a bad place for him.

Chris: Excellent. A new GM's first pick is always his most memorable. Alright, Oakland choice qarterback.....

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:33 AM   #27
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"With their second round draft pick, the Jaguars select CB Lawrence Holmes, from UCLA."

Mel: Bad pick. Too much hype, not enough substance. This guy is only 5' 10" can't tackle so much as a bunny, and tires very easily. Not a good pick.

Chris: Where did you have him?

Mel: He does have good coverage skills, I'll give him that. So, I had him late third. Sitting here in the late second, it's a reach.

Jimmy: Not a good tackler, not a guy who can play every down of defense, but you said a good cover guy. Maybe the Jaguars need a good nickel back.

Chris: How about it Mel?

Mel: Even then, there are better options Remember, in case of an injury, your nickelback becomes your starter. SO you need someone who you can rely on. That's not Lawrence.

Chris: Alright, and the Raiders have made their selection...

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:33 AM   #28
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"With their third overall pick, the Jaguars have selected the fullback from Brigham Young, Keith Moore"

Mel: Now this is a smart pick. A lot of GMs might not make this pick, but I like it. Only one fullback has gone off the board, and you have an opportunity to draft a franchise starter here. A lot of GMs might have reached for a questionable OLB here, but the Jags stayed with what they needed, and they have lots of room to pick up questionable player later. Good pick.

"With their fourth round pick, the Jaguars take the wide receiver from Auburn, Roger Mathis."

Jimmy: Boy, I've seen him play and his is hot or cold. Jacksonville better hope he ends up hot.

Chris: Good punt returner.

Mel: But a lousy route runner. This guy has a questionable work ethic, but hey, we're getting to the second day of the draft. You start looking for backups and players who might break out. And, as far as receivers go, he was the socond best left on my board, so Jacksonville did good here.

"With their fifth round selection, the Jaguars take the linebacker from North Carolina State, Harris Bernstein."

Mel: Definately a development pick. Maybe he'll pan out. I don't think he will, though.

"With their sixth round selection, the Jaguars take QB Scott Diligencia from Miami"

Chris: Scott probably has a better claim to the title "QB of the Future" for the Jags than, say, Garrard.

Jimmy: Oh yeah. Scott doesn't have all of the skills, but he is a proven winner. Good selection by the Jags.

"With their last pick of the draft, Jacksonville selectes the linebacker from Oregon, Colin Barnes"

Chris: Well, Mel, I think that we have learned what kind of GM Abe Sargent is going to be. I think he adheres to the shotgun style of drafting. Draft several when you need one, and hope that you get one who pans out.

Jimmy: A lot of GMs adhere to that philosophy. But how about Tamp....

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:33 AM   #29
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The draft:

1 - Brenden Lofton, WR, Colorado
2 - Lawrence Holmes, CB, UCLA
3 - Keith Moore, FB, Brigham Young
4 - Harris Bernstein, OLB, NC State
5 - Roger Mathis, WR, Auburn
6 - Colin Barnes, OLB, Oregon
7 - Scottie Diligencia, QB, Miami

-Anxiety

(P.S. - Due to me not saving...argh...I had to redo the draft. The only way for me to get the same playes was to change the order of my picks, slightly. So, while this is the offical order for record keeping purposes, the orde as mentioned on the Draft Day show is the actual order for the dynasty)

Old 02-05-2003, 03:34 AM   #30
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Post draft we have 49 players on our team. Brunell has just been franchised in, so I open talks about a long term contract.

We have about 7.4 million of space available, and Brunell alrady counts 6. against our cap, so any deal that increases his cap cost won't be prohibitive.

Brunell demands a three year deal worth almost 21 million. That actually seems relatively fair. I want him longer, so we extend it to four years. 27.37 million over four years.

We have actually freed up some money under the cap because Brunell's hit went down, so we have 8.5 million. I look to see if anybody's contract is up next year who we would like to renew.

I see that both Donovin's contract and Wali's contract are up. I talk to Donovin's agent.

He is currently only making 1.6 million this year. So, I decide to up that. We have the room, might as well. We finally agree to a 25.11 million dollar contract over 5 years.

That leaves Rainer. And while I like him, I want to see another season's worth of performance from him before he gets offered the big bucks.

I sign undrafted FB Mitchell Heath to a one year 250k contract.

With 50 players, we head into camp.

After camp, I need some more players, so I hit the free agency market.

I sign:

RB Jerome Cholewczynski to 250k
RB Blake Tupa to 330k
TE Trent Sansbury to 330k

We sold 66,100 season tickets.

I get a trade offr for Lawrence Holmes that involves a seoncd round pick. I decline.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:34 AM   #31
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Are Jaguars Toothless?

Sandy Alderman
Jacksonville Star

When most teams go deep into the playoffs, the General Manager looks for ways of keeping the players together. When The Jaguars made it to the AFC Championship last year, most pundits agreed that the young group of core players needed to be kept together.

Apparently, General Manager Abe Sargent has other ideas. With no GM experience, Abe went out and brought in several starters from free agency.

Is he repeating the mistakes of old?

While new rookie FB Keith Moore appears to be a significant upgrade, and the other WR position across from Jimmy Smith is open to competetion between veterans and rookies, most of the areas where there are new faces belong to veterans brought in by free agency.

On the offensive line, Tackle Adam Meadows and Center Mike Flynn have both been brought in to start. Punter Todd Sauerbrun is kicking the ball for us. Linebacker Kevin Hardy has been brought back to the fold. In the secondary Mike McKenzie and Sam Shade are starting for us. That's a lot of freeagents to bring in.

One wonders if the mistakes of old aren't being repeated. Haven't we learned? You build through the draft. Not freeagency. That road leads to perdition."

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:35 AM   #32
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Draft Grades, AFC South

Steve Sharky
Pro Football Weekly

Jacksonville Jaguars - New GM Abe Sargent had his first draft this year and one has to wonder and what it revealed. Receivers Brenden Lofton and Roger Mathis are an odd pair, and a lot of people don't beleive the Abe got what he wanted with Lofton. When you have a pair of 1000 yard receivers, what are you doing drafting two wideouts this high? Maybe one, sure. Maybe drafting another late as a special teams player. But two?

Now, FB Moore is the real deal. Remember, Pro Football Weekly had him as our second rated FB. Picking up the second best FB late in the third is good quality.

Corner Lawrence Holmes, their second roudner, has caused some buzz in camp, and we hear that the Bears were interested in trading for him. But, Pro Football Weekly just can't see him ever being more than a Nickelback option.

Of the two linebackers, Colin Barnes begins the preseason as the favorite to start. We'll see if that holds up.

Picking up Scottie Diligencia later was a really smart move. He has already jumped ahead of last year's fourth round pick David Garrard.

So, the Jaguars found quality late, but you have to wonder about their talent selected early. Considering this is Abe's first draft in any position, not bad. C+"

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:35 AM   #33
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

After some arguing and cojoling, the coaches and I have agreed on a tentatvie strting roster. This will be dependant on preseason performance.

QB Mark Brunell - He has carried the Jaguars through the good times and the bad times. He simply is the Jaguars.

RB Fred Taylor - Stayed healthy last year. Can that continue?
FB Keith Moore - Just a well rounded and outstanding FB.

TE Kyle Brady - Versatile TE who does not excel at any area of the game.
FL Brenden Lofton - Moved to Flanker, Brenden will be starting across from The Man Himself.
SE Jimmy Smith - The Man Himself.

LT Adam Meadows - Brought in from Free Agency to help shore a poor line. Meadows is best at blocking for the run, which is why he is starting on the left side, away from his natural position.
LG Raleigh Roundtree - Our new O-Line leader, Raleigh is another strong run blocker.
C Mike Flynn - Brought in because he was cheap, and yet he is a decent center. Definately starting caliber, and very cheap.
RG Chris Naeole - Well rounded but not very endurant - has to be brought off the field more than I would like.
RT Maurice Williams - The weak link in our offensive line. Manyy of my players here are ok, Williams is poor.

K Rickey Mayes - If he is as good as last year, and he makes the PATs, then he is our Kicker from now on until time dissolves.
P Todd Sauerbrun - The best punter in free agency and a definite franchise punter.

LDE Stalin Colinet - With Coleman's decreasing abilities due to age, Colinet is our best option here.
LDT Marcus Stroud - Decent DT who has great pass rushing abilities.
RDT John Henderson - The right side of our D-line is great. This guy is great, and he will continue to be so.
RDE Tony Brackens - He is our hoss.

SLB Kevin Hardy - Welcome back our friend and teammate. Kevin's game is strong, not a great cover LB though. Got 2nd Team All League honors last year in Dallas.
MLB Wali Rainer - Solid LB who hit shard and rushes the passer well. Also poor in coverage.
WLB Eric Westmoreland - Our rookies LBs are too raw, so Westmoreland will contue to start, Definately the weak spot in our LB corps.

LCB Mike McKenzie - Brought in to patch up some holes, he will be our good cornerback.
RCB Jason Craft - Craft or Bryant? Bryant or Craft? No other position choice was as controversial as this one. Both are good at stopping the run, both have serious deficiencies. Ultimately we went with the guy who should get us more picks.
SS Donovin Darius - Good at stopping the run and fantastic in coverage. Up there in competetion with Brackens to be our best player.
FS Sam Shade - Converted from SS, Sam is also good at stopping the run and hitting people. He is also a fine cover man.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:36 AM   #34
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We defeated Arizona in our first preseason action. Not too much to say there.

Then we turned right around and beat Chicago. Kevin Hardy was a litte banged so I bench him for the third preseason game.

In the third game we emerged victorious from St. Louis. Lofton goes down and I bench him for the following week.

We finish 19-14 over Detroit. So, we coem out of the preseason with a 4-0 record, momentum, and a couple of sprains.

I look over our stats and decide to start Lofton despite a sprain.

{End Recording}

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:36 AM   #35
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Another season is upon us! It feels so long since last time. It has definately been awhile.

We start out the season with a very familiar sight - Indianapolis is coming to Alltel. Let's see if we can't knock their boots off.

Indy was 2-2 during the preseason. Green Bay and the Jets were the only other two teams besides the Jags to finish 4-0.

Let's see if we can't carry that momentum into the game.

We are favored by three against the Colts. We supposedly have better RB, O-Line, D-Line, Secondary and Special Teams. They should have a better QB.

And it looks all set, so let's go!

Teh Colt scharge down the field and knock a FG through. We answer with a TD pass of 34 yards to rookie Lofton. Our first score of the game and his first pro score!

Teh Colts turn right around and run the kickoff back for a TD to go up 10-7. We would never have the lead again.

An Edgerrin James TD puts the Colts up by ten. Late in teh first quarter, Mayes kicks a FG and its 17-10 Colts as we had into the second quarter.

Over the next three quarters we would only get one more TD - a 28 yard scramble by Brunell. Mayes would also kick a FG late in the 4th.

The Colts would only get two more FGs. But it would be enough to win 23-10.

MVP was Manning.

Game Ball: FL Brenden Lofton, 9 catches for 161 yards and a TD. In his first ever game.

T Adam Meadows was injured during the game. He is probable for several weeks with Knee Bursitis. He will play next week.

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

One week later and we are ready to take on the Bucs. We have traveled here to Raymond James Stadium to try and defeat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

We are favored by 2. The only area they are better than us in is coaching. We are better than them in so many areas.

Tampa wins the toss. A 23 yard pass to lockett on 3rd keeps their drive going. Several plays later Pittman scampers 6 yards to cap a 10 play drive and go up by 7.

On the Jags first play from scrimmage, Brunell is sacked 14 yards by Simeon Rice. And yet, Jimmy Smith cathches a 21 yard pass and brings up a very manageable 3rd and 3. A 5 yard strike to Lofton gives us a new set of downs.

5 plays later and Lofton has caught his second ever TD to put the Jags at 7-7.

The Bucs try a long bomb on the first play of their next drive, but Donovin Darius intercepts the ball in the endzone for a touchback.

After Tampa gets the ball back, a few short plays are followed by a 32 yard completed to Keyshawn to place the Bucs on our 1.

Alstott gives Tampa their 1 yard TD.

We follow with our own big play man, Jimmy Smith catching it 28 yards downfleid and adding 7 more on the ground. Early in the second and that is his third catch of the day over 20 yards.

Brunell follos that play with a 31 yard toss to Bobby Shaw and we bring it up to 14-14.

Which will also be the halftime score.

We start our second half with a 30 yard toss and score to Taylor. 21-14 Jax.

We get a turnover on the special teams play on their 24 yard line. Coughlin orders his team to go for the throat and Lofton catches his 3rd TD in the endzone on a 24 yard pass. 28-14 early in the second half.

Tampa is moving, trying to pick up yards n 8, 10, 12, 15 yard chunks. Then they fumble on our 12 and Wali Rainer recovers.

Several possession changes ensue. Tehn, to break the monotony, Sam Shade intercepts Brad Johnson's pass and takes it to their 18.

We settle for a FG after they sack Brunell. 31-14 Jags.

With 3:50 left in the game, Johnson tosses a 44 yard bomb to Farley and the Bucs cut our lead to 10. Then we simply grind out the clock on Taylor's legs.

Final Score - Jacksonville 31, Tampa Bay 21

Game MVP and Game Ball: Mark Brunell, 25 of 31 for 296 yards, 4 TDs, 1 Int, 3 sacks

Most Excellent.

{End Recording}

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:36 AM   #36
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"NFL Names Brunell, Glover Players of the Week for Week 2

Rebecca Hyatt
NFL.com

The NFL today names its Offensive and Defensive Players of the week for the entire league. The Offensive Player of the Week was awarded to Mark Brunell, the quarterback of the Jaguars.

Jacksonville wa playing at hostile Raymond James Stadium in Tampa Bay against a vaunted defense. Yet, he trew 4 touchdowns and only one interception. Every offensive score was thrown by Brunell as the Jaguars defeated their cross-state rivals 31-21. For his gutsy clinic, the NFL will give $5000 dollars to a charity of his choice.

The Defensive Player of the Week was La'Roi Glover of the Dallas Cowboys with a 3 sack day...."

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:36 AM   #37
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We host the 0-2 Steelers today. You know that they are scrounging around for a win, and they'll be spitting mad.

Favored by 6, they are only better coaching. Hmm. Maybe we need a new coach.

Teh game begins. We win the toss but are forced to punt and we down the ball on the Steelers' 4. Excellent.

They then go 3 and out. Good special teams work.

A missed FG later and Pittsburgh tries a pass on 4th and 1. Stroud sacks Stewart for a turnover on downs and we drive quickly and
Brunell runs a draw for a 5 yard TD.

We are forced out again and Sauerbrun punts a 60 yard punt to be downed at the Steelers 5! Yowsa.

The Steelers punt, and then Sauerbrun's punt is blocked by Pittsburgh and they get the ball on our 32. Five plays later the Steelers tie the game at 7.

Brunell then throws a pick on the next series. We forces Pittsburgh to punt, and Brunell throws another pick as time expires for the half.

We answer with a TD in the opening drive of the half to go up by 7. Pittsburgh punts. We punt. Pittsburgh punts. We punt. Pittsburgh punts. We kick a FG.

17-7 Jags with 13:31 left in the game.

We get the ball back and grind out another TD with 8 runs in a 9 play drive.

Pittsburgh punts again and never gets the ball back as our ground game winds down the clock.

Game MVP: Mark Brunell, 23 of 40 for 253 yards, 1 TD, 2 Ints, never sacked.

Game Ball: SLB Kevin Hardy, 7 Tacks, 2 Assts, 1 Sack. The man is back!

Two and one. Let's go Jags!

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

Mike McKenzie is questionable and Roger Mathis is out. I bench them both. I active R. Jay Soward and deactivate Mathis. I keep McKenzie around because he could play in a pinchbut I takehim off the depth chart. Fernando Bryant will start and Lawrence Holmes will be our nickel back.

We are four point favorites hosting the Jets this week. J-A-G-S jags Jags JAGS!

We start with the ball and begin an inexorable 15 play drive. Sam Cowart, for the Jets, had five tackles on the drvie. Our passing game bailed out our running game. Through losses and gains, we only had 3 rushing yards despite calling 7 runs. Ick!

Kyle Brady caught his first TD of the season.

Teh Jets record several big gains before Jordan fumbles and Hardy recovers. We drive and then Ex-Jaguar Aaron Beasley picks off Brunell. Then Testaverde throws a pick to Wali Rainer who returns the Int for a TD. A missed extra point and we are up by 13.

Mayes misses a 36 yard FG and we are still up by 13. Let he'll miss a 48 yarder too. The Jets score in three plays after the seocnd missed FG and it's Jacksonville 13, New York 7.

Myes, however, redeems himself by knocking a 54 yarder in late in the first half.

Halftime we are up by 9. We have obscene yardage totals - 22 rushing yards and 221 passing yards.

Halftime wind and rain kicked has made the game very slippery. Curtis Martin fumbles and big man John Henderson picks in up and scores for us. 23-7.

Another Jets drive is stalled by an interception. Lawrence Holmes records his first professional interception.

Anoteh Sauerbrun punt is blocked and the Jets have good field position. We hold and they kick a field goal. 23-10.

After starting to get arunning game going, Taylor fumbles and the Jets recover near the end of the third. Several possession changes later the Jets are in our red zone but they fumble away.

While trying to grind out the clock, Taylor fumbles again and the Jets recover. Fernando Bryant picks off Testaverde afew plays later and any hopes for a Jets rally are quashed. Final Score 23-10.

Game MVP: Mark Brunell, 29 of 39 for 293 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int, and 2 sacks.

Game Ball: John Henderson, 5 Tacks, 1 Asst, 1 FF, 2 FumRec, 1 FR TD

Wali Rainer also had a defensive score. Without Wali and John's scores we would have lost 10-9.

We had 31 rushing attempts and 79 rushing yards. Pitiful.

But we won. 3-1 folks.

{End Recording}

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:37 AM   #38
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Indianapolis and St. Louis Class of NFL in First Quarter Grades

Joe Theisman
ESPN.com

...and since the Colts are 4-0 with one of those wins over defending AFC South Champion Jacksonville, that's why I give them an A.

Jacksonville - Last year the Jaguars were bailed out by their defense on several occasions. That trend has continued. Some people have pointed to that and claimed that Jacksonville is a poor theam. They are wrong. That means Jacksonville has a championship caliber defense.

Eventually Brunell,Smith and Taylor will pick it up. This past week the Jagurs could only magae around 80 yard on the ground , and most of that was in junk time. Taylor fumbled twice. Yet this opportunistic defense scored twice, lifting the Jaguars to victory. These Jaguars are just as good as their 3-1 record indicates, and I give them a B+."

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:37 AM   #39
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Rookie Watch for Week 4

ESPN.com

ESPN.com is giving you a weekly rundown of the rookies that played well. Who is the early candidate for Offensive and Defensive Rookie of the Year. Logon to our boards and voice your opinion!

WR Brenden Lofton - The first round pick of the Jaguars leads the team in both yards receiving and has three TDs in four game. On a pace to have a 1500 yard, 12 season, Lofton is an early candidate to Offensive Rookies of the Year.

CB Lawrence Holmes - The second round selection of the Jaguars played Nickelback last week and did not disappoint with his first interception of his career. He also has recorded a sack and several tackles in previous games when not even being on the depth chart. Smart money says he has worked his way on the chart now."

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:37 AM   #40
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Roger Mathis and Mike McKenzie will not be back this week either.

We are hosting our local rival Miami this week. Miami's 2-1-1 record should not raise doubts about their solid team.

They have better RB and WR. We have better QB, and across the Defense are better in every position. That's where we need to control this game.

Miami kicksoff and the game is underway.

We score quickly going up by 7 with 10 plays under our belt.

A few possessions change, then Miami pins us at our 1. Taylor runs us out of the hole, but we stall at our 28 and are forced to punt.

We kick a FG when our efforts are aided by a crucial Miami pass interference call. 10-0.

Severl more changes in the battle of possession ensue when Brunell throws a pick deep in our territory. The Dolphins run it back to the 6. A pass to Konard and the Dolphins close to within 3.

We kick a FG and then Mare misses a 50 yarder to put the score at 13-7 Jags at the half.

We drive it in after Donovin Darius gives us an opportunity with a pick. Wali Rainer picks off Miami and the game looks to be out of Miami's hands.

Until Brunells pass is picked off the the Dolpins return the ball 83 yards for a TD. 20-14 Jags.

Taylor breaks out a huge 61 yard run, Mayes misses the PAT and its 26-14.

After some punts, Sam Shade picks off Miami again. This is followed by a Patrick Surtain interception of Brunell.

This game looks less like football and more like Hot Potato.

Gadsen catches a 56 yarder and its 26-21. Miami surely can't overcome a huge TO margin in our favor. Right?

10:03 left in the game. Plenty of time for us to win or lose.

We are forced to punt, and after two incompletions, Miami has two plays of 27 and 26 yards for the TD and the lead. Failed two-pt conversion.

We are again forced to punt.

5:40 and we get the ball back on our 29. A crucial holding call on 3rd puts us at 3rd and 14. Then we get an illegal motion call. 3rd and 19. 2 yard pass and we are forced to punt it away again.

On our 37, Miami tries to pin us deep with 2:05 on the clock. Its a touchback, however, and we have 1 timeout remaining.

Brunell scrambles for 3. Sacked. Intercepted by Surtain.

They kick a FG and kickoff with 3 second on the clock. We do not return the ball for a TD.

Dophins win 30-26.

Game MVP: Fred Taylor, 23 carries for 144 yards and a TD, 4 cathes for 17 yards.

Game Ball: C Mike Flynn with 6 KRB and 0 SkA

Both Brunell and the Dolphins rookie QB Alcott threw 4 picks. We fumbled once but recovered. Miami wins the Interception Bowl.

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

Adam Meadows has been downgraded to questionable and Brackens has been injured. I bench Meadows and will have to watch Brackens closely. McKenzie and Mathis remain out this week.

Mike Pearson will start at LT.

Indy won last week, and we are now taking our 3-2 record on the road to the only undefeated team in the AFC.

Indy forces us to punt then scores a TD. That scenario then repeats although ther Colts kick a FG. 10-0 end of first quarter.

Another two punts for us, one for the Colts, and they score a TD. Follow that with us launching an interception. The COlts drive and get another FG.

Its 20-0 going into the locker room. I can't imagine what Coughlin is saying, but I guarantee that it is not pretty.

The third quarter expires with the score the same, but the Colts with 3rd down on our 2.

We force a FG.

COughlin puts in Diligencia with 10 minutes left in the game. So I run down to the coaches's booth and inform Coughlin that I am taking over the offensive play calls. We will not concede this game. Not yet. The Coordinator is sitting beside me. I bark a command for Brunell to get back on the field.

It's 3rd and 18. I call a Singleback Flanker Fly. Brunell is hurried and the pass is incomplete. We punt. I put Coughlin back in charge of the defense.

Our defense forces a punt and we get the ball on our 7. I call a TE dash across a Pro Formation and Jimmy catches the ball for 18 yards.

Prior to that play we'd had 76 passing yards all day.

I move for a 4 WR offense and call a 7 yard out pattern to Shaw. He catches and gains 3 more yards for 9 yards bringing up 2nd a 1. I keep in the 4 WR setup and order a bomb launched. A 41 yard completion to Smith is negated by a holding call.

On 2nd and 11 I call a screen to Taylor out of that 4 WR setup. 7 yards and 3rd and 4. I call a FL out from the Pro formation and Lofton catches the ball for 6 yards. 1st down.

I move back into a 4 WR set and ordre another bomb. We don't have much time, and it worked the last play except for the holding.

37 yards later Lofton has moved the chains in Indy's territory.

I move back into a Pro formation and call a curl for the TE or a FB screen. Brady cathes the ball for 7 yards. I order a FB Blast from the I formation. Key block by Roundtree and 13 yard gain. 1st Down on Indy's 6.

Going back to Pro, I call a 7 yard out to Taylor. The play is messed up but Brunell gains 5 yards. 2nd and 1 to goal.

Out of the I I call another FB play, this time a Blast. Touchdown Jags!

Mayes misses the PAT and I am close to benching him.

We kick deep and I tell Coughlin to call the defensive plays again.

We force them to go 3 and out. We have the ball but with only 2:36 on the clock. I mvoe to a Singleback formation and call a fly but R. Jay drops the ball.

I move to Pro and call a FB screen. 6 yards.

I call a FL out but Brunell throws away from double coverage to our FB for 6 yards and a 1st down. Two Miniute Warning.

I move back to that 4 WR setup. I call a deep pass but it's busted up by the corner.

I order a medium range out pattern. Shaw catches the ball for 13 yards out of bounds. Excellent. I call another Fly pattern, it's broken up again. I move us back to Singleback. Brady catches the ball for 10 yards bringing up another 1st and I call a TO.

We are on the Colts' 31. I call a Curl but Brunell uses his progressions and hits Brady for 17 yards. I call another TO. I call a crossing pattern but the ball is knocked down at the line. I order a TE slant and Brady cathes 3 yards short of the goal line. We spike the ball. :31 left and we have a TO.

With nothing to lose, a a TO in the bank, I decide to order a run play. Out of the Singleback Shotgun I order a QB draw. He is stopped short of the goaline and I call our last TO. I tell Brunell in his helmet that I want to score another TD. I call a Zag play to Brady, who has done very well on this drive.

Kyle Brady for the TD.

In the 2-pt conversion, I order a screen but the Colts sniff it out.

I order a onside kick. We will not concede while I am the GM.

Indy recovers the ball and downs it. 23-12 is the final score.

MVP is Peyton Manning.

Game Ball: TE Kyle Brady, 5 catches for 48 yards and a TD.

When the game was out of reach, Brady still did his best and became my goto guy as the coverage went to Smith and Lofton. Good job by Brady.

3-3 and I am quite disappointed.

{End Recording}

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:38 AM   #41
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"What the Hell was that!?!" Tom Coughlin yelled.

"That was us losing a football game to a division rival." GM Bram Sargent responded.

"No, you know what I mean! *I* am the football coach, not some little smug twit."

"Why did you recommend me to Weaver?"

"WHAT?!?!"

"Why did you recommend to Weaver that I be the person he hired? Me. The candidate without any football experience?"

"What does that have to do with anything?!?"

"Here's what I think. Weaver told you he was going to hire a GM, and no matter what you tried, you could not dissuade him from that plan. So, you agreed to help and when you saw me you thought, 'There is a Guy I can Control.' Well, now you know. You can't control me."

"That's not...."

"Look Mr. Coach. As you just said. *You* are the coach. *I* am the General Manager. You work for me. You do what I tell you to. You don't like it, go work elsewhere."

"You can't fire me, I won the AFC South last year."

"No, *they* won the AFC South last year. Both of us were along for the ride. And I will be damned if I let you ruin that. You had conceded that game, putting in Scottie like that. I kept Brunell in and got two touchdowsn. So, what are you mad at, really? That I usurped you power, or that I proved to have a better offensive mind than you?"

"..." Coughlin storms out of the office.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:39 AM   #42
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Trouble in Paradise?

Brian Bettley
AP Sports

Rumors continue to rage amount a metldown in the upper levels of the Jacksonville Jaguars. In last week's loss to Indianapolis, Head Coach Tom Coughlin ordered backup quarterback Scottie Diligencia in to replcae Mark Brunell.

It was late in the game, with 9 minutes to play. The Jaguars were down 23-0 and Coughlin decided to switch gears. This much is undisputed.

Then, after one play, Coughlin was seen throwing his headphones to the ground and Brunell marched back on field. Cameras show that Coughlin did not call another offensive play all game long. Tha Jaguars scored two touchdowns in the last for minutes of the game with Brunell under center.

So, who called the plays? Only two people in the organization have the authority to overrule Coughlin on the field like that. And Owner Wayne Weaver has never overruled his only head coach, so it likely as not him.

That leaves new General Manager Bram Sargent as the likely candidate. Here is a GM who has no football experience prior to taking over the Jaguars' front office. He must have overrruled Coughlin and forced Brunell back onto the field.

So, who called the plays? A Jaguars offense that had managed a paltry sum of yards came alive after Bram made his order, so it appeared to be the right call. That could lead to a major rift between Sargent and Coughlin.

And since Sargent is over Coughlin, that woudl appear to be a battle Tom Coughlin is bound to lose. We are, however, still left with a question.

Who called the plays?"

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:39 AM   #43
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Transcript of Monday Press Conference, Week 6:

Sandy Alderman, Jacksonville Star: Mr. Sargent, tell us what happened with Scottie and Mark.

Bram Sargent: All I will do is confirm what you already know. Scottie warmed up, was sent on the field, played a down, then left.

Jerome Tylers, Orlando Sentinel: Burnell looked dejected when he was sent out, and Diligencia looked dejected when he left. Coughlin threw down his hadphones in anger and was not seen calling another offensive play all game. What events transpired?

Bram Sargent: Internal term matters transpired.

Jerome: Can't you tell us anything?

Bram: I can tell you that we lost. We are 3-3. I intend to do everything possible to see us 13-3.

Allen Jacobson, ESPN: Bram, can you tell us why you think the Jaguars are 3-3?

Bram: I know that secret. The Jaguars are 3-3 because we lost to Miami and to Indianapolis twice. It's the magic of math.

Sandy: Is this team a good team?

Bram: Jacksonville has had some pretty good teams. Nothing is keeping this team from being among the best. That's all I have time for today.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:39 AM   #44
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Is there any foe the Jaguars hate more than the Titans? I suspect not.

Tennessee is coming into town and putting their own 3-3 record on the line versus the Jaguars.

And yet we are favored by 7. They supposedly have better LBs and Coaching, we have almost eveything else in our favor.

Brackens is questionable. I am deactivating him and Coleman will get the start. I have six other players probable, and some of them will start while others continue to ride the pine. Marcus Stroud will be benched for a neck injury. We have a bye next week, so if I can get two weeks worth of rest for some of these players, it should be just about enough to restore most of my players to full health.

Neil O'Donnell will be starting in lieu of McNair due to an inury to his Airness.

We go into halftime with a close game. Jacksonville 14, Tennessee 13.

At the end of the third each team has kicked a FG to put it at 17-16 us. After a long battle of possession we get a TD putting us up at 24-16 with 6:45 in the game.

Tenessee tries to get a drive going at the end of the game to no avail.

Jax 24, Tenn 16

Game MVP: Mark Brunell, 20 of 30 for 240 yards, 2 TDs, 0 Ints, 5 sacks

Game Ball: P Todd Sauerbrun, 7 punts, 42.9 average, 5 in the 20.

Kevin Hardy notched a sack, Stalin Colinet grabbed 1.5 sacks, and we picked off O'Donnell a couple of times.

Above .500. Again

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

I decided not to record anything last week, our Bye Week. Now it is Week 9 and we are standing in Buffalo with another game about to begin.

CB Lawrence Holmes broke his tibia and he is out for maybe the duration of the season, but at least for a while.

FL Roger Mathis has been reactivated and R. Jay is back on the bench. Both Brackens and Stroud are back as well.

SS Darius is a bit banged, but he will start nonetheless.

I have to sign another cornerback so I hit the free agency market. I sign rookie free agent Pete Gaylor for a one-year deal, 250k. He is a Punt Return fiend, so he'll be my man back there for the season. FS Marlon McCree is released to make room.

We are favored by six against the Bills. scouts across the league rate the Bills as having better coaching and QBs.

Two Buffalo tounchdowns versus two turnovers for us end the first quarter with a 14-0 score.

A quick score to open the second does pull us back to within 7. Add some FGs and the halftime score is 17-13 Buffalo.

Buffalo knocks us deep and Sauerbrun's punt in the endzone is blocked. We recover forcing a safety. 19-13 Bills.

A quick TD/FG combo has the Bills up 29-13 at the end of the third.

The final score is an ugly 39-16.

MVP is Bledsoe.

Game Ball: SLB Kevin Hardy, 10 Tacks, 1 Asst, 2 Sacks. A nasty week.

Back to .500

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

Adam Meadows is reactived and will be starting. Fernando Bryant is a little agned, but because he only plays nickleback, I'll keep him in this week.

The woeful 3-5 Patriots host us this week. We are favored by 4. There is no area that the Patriots are rated as better than us in.

Still, the Patriots are the first to score, notching a Field Goal on their opening drive.

Taylor plunges it in early in the second to bring the score to 7-3.

Going into halftime, a flurry of scores have put us over the Patriots 28-10.

New England drives the length of the field to score a TD in the opening stanza of the second half. Their 2-pt conversion attempt failed, however.

End of the third quarter its 35-19 Jax.

Some scores by the Patriots decreases our lead to 38-28 with 4:02 left on the clock.

A pair of late TDs puts the final score at 52-28.

Game MVP: Fred Taylor, 18 rushes for 96 yards, 2 TDs, 5 catches for 64 yards, 1 TD

Game Ball: CB Jason Craft, 5 tackles, 2 Ints

Here were our scores:

Fred Taylor 6 yd run
Fred Taylor 2 yd reception
Kevin Hardy 31 yard blocked punt return
Roger Mathis 26 yd reception
Fred Taylor 75 yd run
Rickey Mayes 50 yd FG
Stacey Mack 3 yd run
Jerome Cholewczynski 45 yd run

We had a total of 175 rushing yards on the day. 128 of those yards came on TD scores.

5-4.

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

FL Brenden Lofton is out for a few weeks. I deactivate him, reactivate R. Jay, and move Roger Mathis to the starting slot.

LCB Mike McKenzie is questionable. I move Bryant into the starting roles and drop McKenzie off the depth chart, although he will suit up, in case I need him.

We host the Texans this week. Indy is 10-0 and will win the AFC South with a Jacksonville loss this week. They are on a bye.

We are favored by 10 versus the Texans. They have a better coach, we have better players in practically every position.

The first quarter is a battle fo Field Goals as the Texans are on top 6-3, but we have the ball in their Red Zone.

The halftime core is 31-6 Jags as we mount a powerful 4 TD second quarter.

Most of the second half is a battle for field position with only the occasional score slipping through.

Jacksonville 41, Houston 13

Game MVP and Game Ball: Mark Brunell, 27 of 47 for 222 yards, 4 TDs, 1 Int, 3 sacks

6-4. We are now positioned for a run at the playoffs.

{End Recording}

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:40 AM   #45
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Which team on the outside will make the playoffs?

Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

It happens every year. Teams that are on the outside looking in turn it on late and make it into the playoffs. A lot of teams are still alive, but that's because their division is poor.

Take the AFC North, for example. The Bengals are currently leading the division with a 5-5 record while the Browns and Ravens are at 4-6. Even the woefully poor Steelers, at 2-8, are still in contention. But, if these teams do not win their division, they are not in contetnion for a Wild Card slot.

Who is in the running forthose precious four WC spots?

In the AFC, Jacksonville is 6-4 and currently outside the playoff picture. But they have a good shot. A strong running game and a swarming defense both help keep the Jaguars in practically any game.

Kansas City and San Deigo, both at 7-3, are hoping to derail the 9-1 Raiders. Howver, of those three teams, at least one will qualify for a WC spot, and possibly two.

5-5 Buffalo could also hit a good run late, with a weak remaining schedule.

In the NFC the 5-5 Bears and Packers are tied for the NFC North lead. Either one could make a move to the Wild Card spot.

8-2 Arizona is one game behind the Rams. If the Rams are uncatchable, or the Cardinals fatler, they would most likely be in the NFC playoof picture as a wild card.

And even the 7-3 49ers could still make a move for the divion title. Barring that, a WC berth appears likely.

It should prove to be an interesting playoff race. Most division leaders that are good have already tied up their divisions. Right now, two 5-5 clubs, two 6-4 clubs, and a 6-3 team are leading their divsiions. If a spate for 8-8 teams make in into the playofss, then the 12-14, 13-3, 11-5 wildcard teams could have it easy tearing through the bottom half of the division winners.

Should be exciting."

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:40 AM   #46
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The Panthers come into Jacksonville today. Our teams are forever linked. One is a story of sucess, the other a story of woe.

We are rated better in every area except for coaching, which goes to the Panthers. We are also favored by 11.

Our lineup is identical to last week - not significant injuries have healed or occured yet.

The halftime score is a quiet 20-9, Jacksonville. The Panhers drive down and score a TD on their opening drive of the third quarter to make the game interesting.

But, it's when the Panthers score another TD on the first play of the fourth quarter to go up 23-20 that the interest really begins. We miss a 54 yard FG attempt with 10:53 left in the game.

Carolina drives and adds another FG. Down by six with 7:19 left, we get the ball on our 32 with a good return by Sam Shade.

We begin an inexorable drive towards the endzone. Pass are complete to Kyle and Jimmy. Fred gets positive yards. And at the end. 27-26 is the score with 2:32 left in the game.

Wienke drives until new acquistion Gaylor picks him off and the game is over. 27-26 and closer than it should have been.

MVP is Chris Weinke.

Game Ball: FS Sam Shade, 10 tackles (led the team) 1 Asst, 4 KRs, 1 KR TD.

We also had a fumble recovery for a TD by Fernando Bryant.

7-4.

{End Recording}

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:40 AM   #47
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We have traveled here to Denver today to take on the 1-9-1 Broncos. Not too threatening.

We had a lot of injuries last week. Marcus Stroud is out. He might be back if we make the playoffs. RDT Larry Smith will get the start in his place.

A lot of our players are banged - Roger Mathis, Fernando Bryant, Tony Brackens. Brendan Lofton will continue to be deactivated this week. Hopefully he'll be back in the saddle next week.

We are favored by 13. The only area that the Broncos are rated higher than us in is coaching.

The game is afoot.

End of the first quarter the score is 0-0, but we manage a TD in the third play of the second quarter.

Another quick TD is capped by a Mayes PAT miss. 13-0 Jags.

Yet another stike happens quickly and we go up 20-0. We add a FG before the half.

Denver scores a TD in the opening minute of the 3rd quarter. A few extra scores ensue and the final minutes of the game is another battle for field position without scoring.

Jaguars 30, Broncos 13

Game MVP: Mark Brunell, 22 of 34 for 255 yards, 3 TDs, 0 Ints, 0 sacks

Game Ball: DE Stalin Colinet, 3 Tacks, 1 Sack, 1 Blocked Punt recovered and returned 24 yards for a TD.

We are now 8-4 and powering up for a playoff hunt.

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

A few players have moved off the injury list. Brenden Lofton will start again and R. Jay Soward is deactivated.

LCB Lawrence Holmes could be coming back soon. Mike McKenzie will start again for us.

We have pushed our way into the AFC Wild Card picture. The Saints beat the Colts so they will not be undefeated. They are still really good, of course.

We are favored by 14 hosting the Falcons. They have better coaching and we are better everywhere else. Let's play some football.

Atlanta is up by ten as the first quarter comes to an end. Brunell is knocked out and Diligencia is now throwing for us. We now have a hole we need to dig out of. We do manage a FG before the half ends to put the score at 10-3 Falcons.

Our opening drive of the second half results in another Field Goal. 10-6 Falcons.

We score a TD to put us up 13-10. A FG follows and the Falcons are now the ones playing catchup. After a holding penalty and two sacks, the Falcons face 4th and 39 from their 1, so they punt despite the late hour. With the good field position we get a FG arrives and its 19-10 with 2:10 left in the game.

Wali Rainer then picks off Atlanta's pass and runs it in for a TD to put us out of reach.

Final Score, Jaguars 33, Falcons 10

Game MVP: Scottie Diligencia, 16 of 34 for 194 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int, 4 sacks

Game Ball: CB Jason Craft, 3 Tacks, 1 Asst, 2 Ints

Wali Rainer also had a Int returned for a TD. If Rickey Mayes had been more accurate. He was 4 of 7 for the day on FGs.

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

Mark Brunell broke his arm and is out for the year. He has been placed on IR and second year gunslinger Jeff Aaron has been signed to a one year 330k deal.

7th round draft pick and rookie Diligencia will be our starter.

Marcus Stroud is still out and several of our offensive linemen have been banged up. However, we are ready to play. Lawrence Holmes resumes dimeback and punt return duties.

We are travelling to the 6-7 Titans in Adelphia Colosseum. We are favored by five, despite us starting Diligencia. Let's see what actually happens.

Scottie first pick is 5:14 into the game. His second pick is almost 4 minutes later.

He hits Lofton in the endzone after a good drive in teh second. With Tennessee's two FGs off of Diligencia picks, the score is 7-6 Jags.

A 17 play drive to end the half with a FG inspires confidence in Scottie. 10-6 going into the locker room.

Another FG ends the third quarter 13-6. As long as Diligencia can protect the ball in the fourth...

With us driving towards a FG, Diligencia is sacked and fumbles. The Titans recover and advance the ball to their 38.

A few exchanges of possession wind the clock down to 4:01, when the Titans get the ball back at their 49 and begin driving.

We stop them in the red zone and they kick a FG. 13-9.

We punt and they get the ball with no timeouts and :51 on the clock. On their 24.

A scramble and spike puts the clock at :28

Then Kevin Hardy sacks O'Donnell. WIth a desperation heave on 4th and 19 with 7 ticks remaining, O'Donnell throws it up. Donovin Darius intercepts and runs it back for a TD.

19-9, Jags.

MVP Randall Godfrey.

Game Ball: SLB Kevin Hardy, 8 Tacks, 1 Asst, 1 Sack.

Diligencia tosses two picks and fumbled twice as well. Ick.

{End Recording}

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:43 AM   #48
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

With Kansas City's collapse to 7-7, we are now guaranteed a playoff berth as a wild card. As such, I will rest Stroud, Mathis, and Brackens.

We travel to New Orleans to take on the Saints that disrupted Indy's winning streak. We are favored by 5 versus a Saints team that has better QB, D-Line, Special teams and Coaching. We have better RB, LB, and Secondary.

The Saints' score a TD with the first quarter halfway gone. Then Sam Shade takes the kickoff 93 yards for a TD to tie the score with 7:24 left in the first quarter.

A couple of turnovers places us deep in the Saints territory and J. Smith catches a TD for a 14-7 score. We score on another drive early in the second quarter to go up 21-7 over the Saints.

The Saints drive and kick a FG to cut our lead to 11 and the half ends.

We open with a quick FG then the Saints start driving. We stop them in the red zone and force a FG. Another drive later in the quarter after a pick is thrown by Diligencia gives the Saints a TD. 24-20 Jax

The Saints kick another FG off a second Diligencia interception to pull within 1 at the end of the third quarter.

Many changes of possession ensue. Then the Saints begin their drive. 2:14 left in the game they get the ball on their 8.

We sack Brooks on two consecutive plays to bring up 4th and 26 on the Saints 45. Jason Craft seals the game intercepting Brooks' pass on 4th down.

Jacksonville 24, Saints 23

Game MVP: Fred Taylor, 16 carries for 106 yards, 6 cathces for 42 yards a a TD

Game Ball: FS Sam Shade, 10 Tacks (Led Team), 2 Asst, 1 Int, 1 KR TD

We are winning some close ones. Diligencia tossed 5 picks today. We cannot do that against good teams. Not if we want to win.

{End Recording}

{Begin Recording}

Scottie sprained his knee last week and is questionable. He won't play, giving David Garrad a chance to show what he is worth.

We travel to Houston for a meaningless game against the Texans. We are favored by 10 against them.

Let's play this game.

I just want to get this game out of the way and move on.

The Texans begin with a FG but we erase that lead with a TD heading into halftime. A 97 interception return by Wali Rainer opens the third waurter with another socre. Then Mayes adds a FG so its 17-3. When the Texans begin their surge.

THREE INTERCEPTION RETURNS for TDs allows the Texans to win.

29-17.

MVP Greg Jones

Game Ball: I do not give out a game ball for our stinky performance.

Garrard was also picked off 5 times. Not much improvement there.

We really didn't care about this game, and you could really see it in our players and performance.

11-5 in the AFC and we have the top WC spot.

{End Recording}

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:44 AM   #49
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

NFL Primetime:

Chris Berman: We're back and ready to talk shop. The Cleveland Browns cannot be what the NFL owners had in mind when they changed to the new playoff system.

Ron Jaworski: Of course not. A 6-10 team? A 6-10 team shouldn't make the playoffs, for sure. They should enact a rule that says a team forfeits its division championship if it falls below .500 for the season.

Sterling Sharpe: Excellent idea Jaws. This is wierd. In the NFC West, every team finished 9-7 or better. That means the worst team in the NFC West finished THREE GAMES above the best teams in the AFC North.

Chris: Miami is imping into the playoffs as well at 8-7-1. They nudged two 8-8 teams because of their tie.

Tom Jackson: Miami and Cleveland are false champions. The AFC picture boils down to Oakland, Indianapolis and Jacksonville. One of those three teams will be in the Super Bowl for the AFC.

Chris: Alright then. Who do you see in the Super Bowl?

Ron: Simple math. The Colts and the Rams. The Rams are 15-1 and nobody can touch them in the NFC. In the AFC, both the Raiders and Colts can make a claim for the crown, but the Colts beat the Jaguars twice this year. So we know they can beat the only other contender. The Raiders can make no such claim. Until they prove they deserve the #1 spot, the Raiders are simply keeping home field advantage warm for the Colts when the Jaguars and Colts meet in Indianpolis for the AFC Championship.

Tom: Look, knowing that the Jaguars are going to decimate the false champion Browns is obvious. But that brings up a major showdon in Oakland with the Raiders, unless the Chargers beat the Dophins. This is one year where I see both Wild Cards move on. That means Jacksonville and Indianapolis kill each other, and the Raiders roll over the Chargers and emerge healthy. Whoever wins the Indy-Jax matchup will lose to Oakland.

And yeah, in the NFC you have to go with the Rams.

Sterling: Rams I see. Who in the NFC can touch them? But, thre is a lot of quality out there, so I wouldn't be that surprised to see someone upset the favorites.

In the AFC, it's hard to choose between the Raiders, Colts and Jaguars. Each has been on a hot streak. But, Brunell is out and the Jags can't keep lofting 5 picks a game. In the snow, at Cleveland, I wouldn't be that surprised to see the team we have all been dogging advance to the next round.

Tom: Whoa!

Sterling: Yeah, I know. Oakland keeps their seed, because Indy will choke like they always do. Oakland-St. Louis inn the the Super Bowl.

Chris: I like Indy and Tampa, actually. Through the years the Bucs has proven they can stop the Rams, and they have a week to rest as well. Anyway, people are talking about who should be the MVP this year. I though that we could get the thoughts....

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:44 AM   #50
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

It's snowing and I'm cold. Jacksonville or Cleveland? I wonder why people choose to live here over balmy Florida? Jobs? They have a fetish for snow? Snow is cold, wet, and cold. I was happy as a bear to get out of Michigan for the job in Jacksonville. I wonder if the people here in the stands feel the same way.

We are favored by a TD and most every pundit has declard us to be the winner. That is always a losuy setup. If you spank them, you were supposed to. Anything else is a disappointment. You cannot impress, cannot do well.

QB Scottie Diligencia will try to lead us to the next game by defeating the Browns in the cold, wet and cold snow.

FL Roger Mathis is back in the lineup. As are Stroud and Brackens on the Defensive Line.

SLB Kevin Hardy, LT Adam Meadows, QB Scottie Diligencia and RDE Tony Brackens are still banged up. All will start, however.

The Browns supposedly have better LB and Coaching.

Let's play our playoff match.

Several possession changes begin the game but a crucial roughing the kicker penalty on 4th down keeps the Browns drive alive. They are able to get into Field Goal range and kick 3 through as a result.

At the end of the First Quarter, we have managed a paltry 11 total yards in offense. That's over four possessions! Cleveland scores a TD.

We go three and out on three staight incompletions to start the second quarter. We maage one yard of rushing on the next three and out series.

Another FG for Cleveland puts ther score at 13-0. We respond with...three more incompletions.

With 3:37 left in the first half, we have managed a grand total of TWELVE offensive yards. Our only First Down has come as a penalty from Cleveland.

A pass completion to Jimmy Smith for 17 yards more than doubles our total yardage for the game. We have to punt with 0:39 left on the clock, but we have racked up several completions and 3 first downs.

The third quarter has bunches of possession changes. On 4th and one in the Browns red zone, Couglin calls a pass. A Pass? Coughlin, have you not seen that we can't find a completion with a compass and a flashlight? Kick the freaking FG to bring us to within 10.

Another mistake like that will cost Coughlin his coaching responsibilities again.

Henderson blocks a punt and we are in business. However, 3 plays and one yard later, Mayes kicks a FG. 13-3. Should have been 13-6 Coughlin.

Cleveland manages a late FG to go up 16-3. The incompletes later, Coughlin punts. There's 3:06 on the clock and we are down by 14. When exactly, Tom, do you expect to win this game?

Tom's errant decision is bailed out when Cleveland fumbles and Craft recovers. We have the ball on their 30. OK Tom, let's see if you can't win this game in spite of yourself.

Two incomplete passes and a blocked pass later, 4th and 10 forces Tom to go for it, I think. If he had kicked a FG prior, we could kick one here and we'd have 2:40 and three TOs to try to get the ball back for a TD. Now he is forced into TD mode early.

Fourth and 10, the game is on the line and a rookie 7th round backup QB is under center.

Coughlin. Kicks a FG?!?! Why, so we can be within 10 and two scores? We gain NOTHING by kicking a FG here. Ball is wide right.

Coughlin is removed from play calling duties for the remainder of the game. I order Defensive Coordinator John Pease to call the defensive plays, I'll call offensive and special teams.

John Pease burns all of our timeouts but we force a punt with 2:09 left in the game.

Our Special Teams gets an offsides call and the Browns get a new set of downs. A last gasp TD toss turns into a Browns TD as time expires.

Cleveland 22, Jacksonville 3

Game MVP is Blaine Petrezziello, the Cleveland kicker

Game Ball: DT John Henderson, 4 Tacks, 1 Asst, 1 FF, 1 Punt Block.

We squandered our hopes against a 6-10 division champion that should not have been.

Back to square one.

{End Recording}

-Anxiety