Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-01-2003, 09:31 AM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Marc Bulger Revisited - Old Thread from Old Board

Classic Thread from the Old Board, and I Wanted to Remind It:

posted 10-12-2002 10:43 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trent Green did it from the 3rd QB spot a couple of years ago. Warner, Brady, and so forth. Who has dibs that Marc Bulger (of the Rams) is the next big backup to make it? Who wants to go out on a limb and say that Marc will be a good football player based on what he will do this year in substitution for injured Rams QBs?

Me.

Well, who wants to call it other than me? And if he sucks, I will admit I was wrong about Bulger. I don't think he will though.

-Anxiety

--------------------

For a dense dynasty:

Anxiety's Eastern Michigan and Jacksonville Cross Dynasty (TCY & FOF4!!!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 806 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Dec 2001 | IP: Logged

kcchief19
Grizzled Veteran
Member # 129
posted 10-12-2002 10:55 AM
I'll take that action. He's going to suck.
It won't have that much to do with him. That team is in complete disarray. The offensive line is a shambles of its former self. As quick as Warner was at making reads, it helped that he used to have a ton of time. No more.

The fall off at WR behind Holt and Bruce is massive, which means that those two are rarely both in single coverage. There is also no deep threat receiver, which means the safeties can cheat a little more now.

I think Faulk is still Faulk, but it's clear that he and Martz are on different pages and, as a result, I think Martz is misusing Faulk. It also doesn't help that the o-line isn't able to get out there and block on his pitch runs. He's out there all by himself.

Martz is also a huge part of the problem. He appears to be so intent on proving that he is the genius behind the operation that he refused to change his scheme to fit his personnel. Warner and Faulk have both had feuds with Martz. There have been repeated reports of Warner and Martz have shouing matches during practice.

Not exactly prime material for a QB with questionable skills making his professional debut.

Posts: 1059 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Oct 2000 | IP: Logged

bigdawg2003
Grizzled Veteran
Member # 222
posted 10-12-2002 11:32 AM
I saw Bulger in the preseason and he was making some good throws. Of course, it's the preseason, but I wouldn't be surprised if he could be a servicable starter, or even more. Any way you look at it, he's probably a better option for the Rams than Jamie Martin because their season is over.
--------------------

I didn't even know Elvis was from Memphis. I thought he was from Tennessee.

Posts: 1053 | From: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: Oct 2000 | IP: Logged

VPI97
Waterboy
Member # 893
posted 10-12-2002 12:07 PM
I think Bulger is going to do very well.
--------------------

Proud Member of the 'Odds' Team

Posts: 599 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Mar 2001 | IP: Logged

MylesKnight
Waterboy
Member # 1885
posted 10-12-2002 12:30 PM
I think a good question would be, "Are the Rams going to be the first team to go winless in a season in sometime?"
--------------------

"Ted's of Beverly Hills, Steakhouse, come on down..
"They want to put their meat in your mouth."

GO KNIGHTS!!!

MK's UCF Football Site http://www.geocities.com/mylesknight

Posts: 1629 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida (Jax Area) | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged

Swaggs
Grizzled Veteran
Member # 158
posted 10-12-2002 06:13 PM
Bulger is a smart, accurate QB. I think he can and will be a starter in the NFL.
--------------------

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." --Satchel Paige, Inducted into the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame in 1971

"If they trade me, we are rebuilding." --Brian Giles, Pittsburgh Pirates

Posts: 546 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Oct 2000 | IP: Logged

OldSchool
Grizzled Veteran
Member # 37
posted 10-12-2002 08:19 PM
I saw the guy play when he was at WVU. Strong arm but not accurate enough for the NFL imho. Not mobile, but neither was Warner. If his confidence is up and they get on a roll I could see him hitting some nice deep throws, but he's going to be spraying balls and will toss some interceptions, maybe a bunch.
Posts: 844 | From: Birmingham, AL, USA | Registered: Oct 2000 | IP: Logged

Anxiety
Waterboy
Member # 1750
posted 10-13-2002 04:40 PM
Hmm. Now I have a decision to make. Am I the kind of person to say "I told you so?" Or not. Hmmm.

-Anxiety

--------------------

For a dense dynasty:

Swaggs
Grizzled Veteran
Member # 158
posted 10-13-2002 06:26 PM
Good call Anx.
A good all-around day for Mountaineers, as Amos had a pretty nice day for the Steelers, as well. It is a wonder that the WVU teams didn't do much better with Bulger, Amos, Porter, et. al.

--------------------

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." --Satchel Paige, Inducted into the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame in 1971

"If they trade me, we are rebuilding." --Brian Giles, Pittsburgh Pirates

Posts: 546 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Oct 2000 | IP: Logged

OldSchool
Grizzled Veteran
Member # 37
posted 10-13-2002 07:58 PM
"Am I the kind of person to say "I told you so?" "
Looks like it.

He looked better than I thought he would, but the Charles Woodson-less Raider secondary makes everyone look good, so I'm not sure I'd say he's "made it", or lump him in with Brady and Warner just yet.

I'd love to see it happen, as I'm always pulling for any non-SUck Big East alumni, but I still think he's gonna have problems throwing to the wrong team.

[ 10-13-2002: Message edited by: OldSchool ]

Posts: 844 | From: Birmingham, AL, USA | Registered: Oct 2000 | IP: Logged

Easy Mac
Grizzled Veteran
Member # 1598
posted 10-13-2002 08:32 PM
I only watched about 15 minutes of the game, and from what I saw, I was unimpressed. Sure, he had decent stats, but he didn't look to have any kind of arm. He threw 30 yard wobblers. It looked like he was throwing over a lake, b/c all his throws were ducks (add to use corny metaphor).
But hey, he won, so thats better than the Kurt Martin combo. Perhaps this will teach Martz he needs substance over style, though he'll probably forget it by next week.

--------------------

chicken soup for the soul... Is there anything dead animals can't do?

Posts: 1179 | From: Greenville SC | Registered: Nov 2001 | IP: Logged

Anxiety
Waterboy
Member # 1750
posted 11-19-2002 12:10 AM
Subtle little "bump."
-Anxiety

--------------------

For a dense dynasty:

Bee
Waterboy
Member # 65
posted 11-19-2002 04:12 AM
Scott Mitchell.
Posts: 1576 | From: Fairfax, VA | Registered: Oct 2000 | IP: Logged

WSUCougar
Waterboy
Member # 1127
posted 11-19-2002 04:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anxiety:
Subtle little "bump."

--------------------

Peter Venkman: "We've been going about this all wrong. This Mister Stay-Puft is okay. He's a sailor, he's in New York. We get this guy laid, we won't have any trouble!" ~ Ghostbusters

Posts: 1962 | From: St. Louis or Helm's Deep, depending on what the orcs are up to | Registered: Jul 2001 | IP: Logged

Easy Mac
Grizzled Veteran
Member # 1598
posted 11-19-2002 05:10 AM
I daid he had nice stats, and hey his team won all their games. But I also said Martz would forget about all that, and Bulger would be back to the streets.
Congrats to Bulger. He goes perfect and is the best QB in the game, and he's banished to the bench.

--------------------

chicken soup for the soul... Is there anything dead animals can't do?

Posts: 1179 | From: Greenville SC | Registered: Nov 2001 | IP: Logged

Bee
Waterboy
Member # 65
posted 11-19-2002 05:18 AM
I'm curious what will happen to Bulger next year. Any thoughts?

Braggadociousss
Waterboy
Member # 1037
posted 11-19-2002 05:50 AM
I see Bulger as being another Gus Ferrotte type of quarterback. Ferrotte stepped in a bad situation in Washington and performed fairly well for a few games. That was back in 1997, rememeber "In Gus we trust" ? Now Gus is still living off of those couple of wins he got in Washington. Or should I say NFL GM's are still living off of those couple of wins he got in Washington. By thinking, well, he did it once, maybe he can do it again for my club. I see Bulger as being one of these Journeymen. Don't be surprised to see Bulger play for 4 or 5 more teams before he retires.
--------------------

Marinovich is God. I have proof.

Posts: 272 | From: Dixie | Registered: Jun 2001 | IP: Logged

Darkiller
Grizzled Veteran
Member # 58
posted 11-19-2002 05:51 AM
Teams are desperate to have a potential Franchise QB.
All Bulger's done is have a 5-0 record as a starter, bring the Rams back in the Playoff race, and break Warner's records for the best first 5 games as a starter (yards and QB rating).

This is exceptional, as far as numbers go, plus he has the winning record/come from behind stories to back the great numbers up.

that makes it even more easy to figure out what will happen next year :

TEAMS will look to trade for him.
I think he'll be a restricted FA at the end of the season so the Rams might first try to say "he stays here" for the price to skyrocket as much as possible.
Then, around draft time, he'll be traded to some QB-needy team for a 1st round draft pick.

That, unless Warner plays terrible and the Rams are left questionning themselves about what to do now...but that is unlikely to me.

--------------------

Darkiller's Front Office Football
http://www.frontofficefootball.fr.st

Posts: 1737 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Oct 2000 | IP: Logged

Bee
Waterboy
Member # 65
posted 11-19-2002 05:56 AM
You also have to look at the type of offense that he's running when you look at his stats. I think the offense tends to skew his stats, but I could be wrong. I see him as a solid backup with the potential to be an emergency starter (Gus Ferrotte, Jon Kitna, Shane Matthews, et al). Maybe the Bengals will trade for him and give him the ultimate kiss of death.

Darkiller
Grizzled Veteran
Member # 58
posted 11-19-2002 05:58 AM
I agree, and never said that is was a future Hall of Famer.
I explained how his numbers were fantastic and the W/L record was backing this up so that was all to his credit as a QB.
but I have no idea (yet) if he's a real gem or just a product of the system.
--------------------

Darkiller's Front Office Football
http://www.frontofficefootball.fr.st

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 09-01-2003 at 09:39 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:33 AM   #2
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I wanted to bump this thread and make a few comments, but I couldn't do it without pasting the old thread here.

Has anybody seen Madden Bulger? The guy is sickly broken and a really good franchise QB.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:14 AM   #3
The_herd
College Starter

Bulger actually has a stronger arm than Warner, Warner has admitted that in the past. He's not as accurate as Warner, but when Warner's on, no man on the planet is.

Bulger had a solid career at WVU in the Don Nehlen hand it off to the running back and hope he does something offense. If Bulger had been playing in an offense that had a better passing system, Bulger most likely would have been drafted in the 2nd round, possibly late 1st.

Bulger is better than Ferrote in almost every area, better arm, better decision maker, more accurate, quicker release, etc. I really wouldn't compare him to Ferrote. If I had to compare him to a QB in the NFL it would probably be Pennington, but Pennington is a better decision maker and is more accurate of a passer, while Bulger has a much stronger arm.

I think the Rams will hold onto him this season just as insurance, in case Kurt Warner isn't the old Kurt Warner. Then they trade him for a 1st round pick in the offseason.

By the way, I think Bulger would be a great guy to run Spurrier's offense if Ramsey falters this season.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:27 AM   #4
Philliesfan980
Banned

I really don't see the Rams getting a first round pick for him in todays salary cap market. First round picks are gold.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:47 AM   #5
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd

By the way, I think Bulger would be a great guy to run Spurrier's offense if Ramsey falters this season.

He might be, but Spurrier's offense is about accuracy and quick decisions. Arm strength is way down the list.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 12:06 PM   #6
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Philliesfan980
I really don't see the Rams getting a first round pick for him in todays salary cap market. First round picks are gold.

They got a late 1st rounder for Trent Green. If a team really wanted a starting QB, I.e Dallas, I could see them trading an early 2nd rounder for Bulger.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 12:07 PM   #7
Philliesfan980
Banned

Agreed. A second round pick seems logical. But a more likely senario would be a 3rd and a 5th or a combo pick like that. That Trent Green trade was a few years back. I really believe that things are different today in the NFL.,
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 02:08 PM   #8
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The NFL is completely different from major league baseball. There is no such thing about moving a guy just to move him before you lose him. In Bulger, the Rams have a good backup who fits their system. I don't believe they will move him for anything less than a late first round pick and a later round pick. That's the going rate these days. If the Rams don't get their price, they hold on to him and let him go FA.

I will admit that Bulger played much better than I thought he would. Somehow, that team woke up last year and finally started playing well and he had a lot to do with that.

I'm still not convinced that Warner/Bulger/Green's success is not the system. Green is thriving in KC in an identical offensive system. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in Bulger going from the Show-Me Offense (gotta call it something L) to another offense.

The question is when will another team decided to copy the Rams and the Chiefs? If somebody wants to, Bulger would be a good guy to build it around.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 04:14 PM   #9
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
He might be, but Spurrier's offense is about accuracy and quick decisions. Arm strength is way down the list.

The Rams offense isn't too much different from Spurrier's, its based off quick reads and accurate passing, Bulger is an accurate QB, just not in Pennington or Warner's league.

I think the Rams will definately get a 1st rounder, probably in the 20-30 range. Hasselback and Green both went for 1st rounders, Delholme got his contract based on 1 pass he threw in a game. If Delhome can get the contract he got, Bulger is without a doubt worth a 1st rounder. I don't think the league is much different in how it views QB's
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 05:24 PM   #10
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

boy kcchief really hit the nail on the head up there, didnt he. i think everyone else thought stl would roll again
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 05:25 PM   #11
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

btw, bulger=pennington

take that whichever way you want to
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:46 PM   #12
General Mike
Pro Starter

I won't disagree with anyone who says there aren't guys who thrive in great offensive systems. We see it all the time in college, whether it be BYU, Florida, Hawaii, or not so recently, but in the past, Houston. I don't know if Bulger would be the answer in Dallas, but he can't be anyworse then the 2 guys already there.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 12:10 AM   #13
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think guys that are underestimating Bulger's pedigree are making a big mistake. His dad was a QB at Notre Dame (backed up Theisman, I believe). He set nearly every WVU passing record while playing on the same team as Amos Zereoue, with no NFL-quality WRs (actually, Jerry Porter was on the team, but played safety--go figure ).

I think he is every bit as good, if not better than Pennington. He does not have the frame to be very durable, in my opinion, and I think the "he has great arm strength, but is not that accurate" is completely off. He is very accurate, but does not have an extremely strong arm. He also gets into trouble when he has to throw on the run. If he gets on a team with a nice line, he can be an excellent NFL QB.

Last edited by Swaggs : 09-02-2003 at 12:11 AM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 12:56 AM   #14
Franklinnoble
Banned

I think Bulger will be the starter in St. Louis if Warner gets off to a slow start - in which case, Kurt Warner ends up someplace else... I'm guessing Chicago, only because I think Kordell Stewart will suck mightily for the Bears, and they'll want help in a hurry.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote