Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Question Replacing an integrated video card

With my whole discovering cheap games on Steam thing, I have found a new interest in playing on my computer. Said computer is a pretty serviceable HP model a1540n with an Athlon X2 4200+, 2GB RAM that is about 3 years old but was hindered by the crappy integrated Nvidia 6150LE video card.

After a couple weeks of shopping around, immersing myself in the world of video cards, I pulled the trigger on a new Nvidia GT 240 on newegg.ca. It's not a super gaming card by any mean but I don't plan on using it for any super crazy high resolution gaming anyway. Looking at reviews on around the net, comparing to other card on Tom's Hardware's hierarchy chart of video cards, it looked like a very reasonable choice for a sub $90 type of card (after the $10 MiR) that would be able to play most current games at very decent resolutions. On top of that, this particular card has GDDR5 memory and the low power requirement of the GT 240 means it will run without me having to replace my power supply. It also requires no extra power connection to the power supply.

Good news came, UPS tracking says they delivered it this morning.

I've never done any real upgrades to my PCs, but I'm not a complete idiot. I know about how to insert it into the PCI express slot and I also know that I'll have to go into the PC's bios to disable the onboard video card or at least switch the video card to PCI express, whatever way it's presented in there.

I got a question I'm sure the FOFC collective will be able to help me on. Once it's installed, do I simply connect the monitor to it, start the PC, hit F9 (or whatever the key is to access bios), enable the PCIexpress card and let it boot in order to install the new card's drivers?

I mean, will I be able to see anything on screen even if the drivers for the new card are not yet installed? This is just making me nervous, probably for no reason.

Thanks for any help.

FM

FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Bee
Pro Starter

I upgraded my wife's computer about a month ago to a new video card replacing the integrated graphics card and there wasn't really anything to it. I didn't even have to go into the bios. I just plugged it in, hooked up the monitor and it booted up and recognized the card and then I downloaded the latest drivers and installed them.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Yes 99.999% of video cards will display the system messages and BIOS screens without problem, just hook it up and go.

Assuming you have Windows, at worst you'll get the default VGA drivers loaded and be able to see what you can at 640*480 resolution at 256 colors. At best, Windows may install the exact driver you need.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I upgraded my wife's computer about a month ago to a new video card replacing the integrated graphics card and there wasn't really anything to it. I didn't even have to go into the bios. I just plugged it in, hooked up the monitor and it booted up and recognized the card and then I downloaded the latest drivers and installed them.

you're probably right. It's just that I read about people havign trouble with specifically that 6150LE integrated card that was still sticking as the main video card. I booted into the bios last week and easily spotted where I'll need to make the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
Assuming you have Windows, at worst you'll get the default VGA drivers loaded and be able to see what you can at 640*480 resolution at 256 colors. At best, Windows may install the exact driver you need.

yeah, that makes sense too.

Edit to add that I run Windows XP SP3.

Thanks for the help guys. Can't wait to try it and finally play a game as simple as King's Bounty without lag.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 02-10-2010 at 12:09 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If your graphics card has a power plug in, you may want to install a new power supply.

Yeah. Just disable the integrated accelerator.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
If your graphics card has a power plug in, you may want to install a new power supply.

Yeah. Just disable the integrated accelerator.

I've not physically looked at the card, but from all reports, the GT 240 line doesn't require anything more than plugging it into the PCI express slot and it draws all its power from that slot.

Thanks for the help though.

FM
Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

SUCCESS!!! Opened the case and popped the card in this evening, started the PC and went in the bios to set video card to PCIe. Then installed drivers and we're in business!

Had a bit of futzing around with the sound though. This card comes with full HD support but my monitor is only capable of VGA stuff so I'm not connected via and HDMI cable. I had to go back in bios to set the onboard sound to enabled, it was on "auto". I sorta knew it was possible though since I remembered reading about someone having trouble with their sound after installing a similar card in a very similar setting.

Very happy with the improvement in graphic quality so far. Even though I only tried King's Bounty: The Legend, it's day and night already. I had lowered many settings and it was lagging incredibly. Now upped the quality and the thing is running smoothly as hell.

Thanks everyone who helped.

FM